What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (2 Viewers)

MAC_32 said:
Thread title :lmao:
:lol: Yeah, that one got a chuckle for sure.

I never knew how hard it is to eat 4000 calories, which I was slated to do yesterday. I've never eaten that much before. Talk about a complete change in my diet. :porked:

MAC_32 said:

I never knew how hard it is to eat 4000 calories, which I was slated to do yesterday. I've never eaten that much before. Talk about a complete change in my diet. :porked:
I posted it many times last year when I was changing my diet, but it's shockingly hard to eat that many clean calories.

I'm glad I don't have to be concerned with calorie counting. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. Pretty simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
MAC_32 said:

I posted it many times last year when I was changing my diet, but it's shockingly hard to eat that many clean calories.
that's the key.

veggies, nuts, eggs...

Long time lurker... I have been on a health and fitness journey. 2 years ago I hit 240 lbs and decided that I am not buying bigger pants :bag: Started working out and logging food on MFP and am finally below 200 lbs, with the final goal of hitting 175lbs. (5'10' tall).

Earlier this summer I let some co-workers talk me into registering for the Akron Half Marathon on September 26th so I have been running and training for it. I have been surprised at how much I've enjoyed this. My Brother-in-law is a serious marathon runner (Sub 3 hour marathon time) and he is helping several of us to train for the half marathon. I'm learning a lot from following this thread though I still get a little confused at the abbreviations and acronyms. :grad:

This past Saturday I ran a 5k in an unfamiliar town about 30 minutes from where I live. At the start of the race the race organizer told us the streets that we would be running and told us there would be volunteers at all of the turns to make sure that we ran the correct route. I had studied the route on line and thought I knew where to go. Unfortunately at around the 2-1/4 mile mark the volunteers turned us at a wrong street and a group of 5 - 6 runners ran the wrong route which added .8 miles to the race :hot: :censored: . I let the race director know and they volunteered to refund the entrance fee. I didn't think I would have turned in a good time but when the awards were announced I realized I would have placed 2nd in my age division. :cry: Needless to say I will be paying a lot closer attention to routes and directions at future races. :doh:

My current 5K PR is 28:30 and so the question is am I nuts to try for a sub 2 hour half marathon or is it more realistic to shoot for a 2:10:00 - considering we have 6 more weeks of training?

According to https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/at a 5K of 28:30 I will be at a 2:11:00 half marathon and if I want a sub 2 hour half marathon I should have a 5K time of 25:55 or better.

Long time lurker... I have been on a health and fitness journey. 2 years ago I hit 240 lbs and decided that I am not buying bigger pants :bag: Started working out and logging food on MFP and am finally below 200 lbs, with the final goal of hitting 175lbs. (5'10' tall).

Earlier this summer I let some co-workers talk me into registering for the Akron Half Marathon on September 26th so I have been running and training for it. I have been surprised at how much I've enjoyed this. My Brother-in-law is a serious marathon runner (Sub 3 hour marathon time) and he is helping several of us to train for the half marathon. I'm learning a lot from following this thread though I still get a little confused at the abbreviations and acronyms. :grad:

This past Saturday I ran a 5k in an unfamiliar town about 30 minutes from where I live. At the start of the race the race organizer told us the streets that we would be running and told us there would be volunteers at all of the turns to make sure that we ran the correct route. I had studied the route on line and thought I knew where to go. Unfortunately at around the 2-1/4 mile mark the volunteers turned us at a wrong street and a group of 5 - 6 runners ran the wrong route which added .8 miles to the race :hot: :censored: . I let the race director know and they volunteered to refund the entrance fee. I didn't think I would have turned in a good time but when the awards were announced I realized I would have placed 2nd in my age division. :cry: Needless to say I will be paying a lot closer attention to routes and directions at future races. :doh:

My current 5K PR is 28:30 and so the question is am I nuts to try for a sub 2 hour half marathon or is it more realistic to shoot for a 2:10:00 - considering we have 6 more weeks of training?

According to https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/at a 5K of 28:30 I will be at a 2:11:00 half marathon and if I want a sub 2 hour half marathon I should have a 5K time of 25:55 or better.
Welcome to the thread!

Most people would say that in your first attempt at a distance that you shouldn't worry too much about the time, just worry about finishing. That being said most of us do have a goal time or times in mind, and I don't think there's anything too wrong with that. Just beware being too focused on that and ending up turning what should be a positive experience (finishing your first half marathon!) into a negative one (missing your time or worse blowing up by trying to go to fast for your fitness).

The calculators are a nice guideline, but not everyone lines up with them. My first road half marathon was a 1:57 (I also had a sub-2 goal), and I don't think I could have run a sub-26 5K at the time. That's where the individuality comes in as my strength is going longer distances, but I don't have any speed at the shorter distances.

I'll let all the others here that are more in tune with half marathon training chime in on details, as I'm sure there are a few key workouts you could do in the next 4-5 weeks that will give you a good gauge of your fitness and a realistic finishing time range.

Sub 2 does sound like an ambitious goal but it's not impossible. My wife started out last year with a poor 5K time and but the end of the year she ran a half 25 seconds a mile faster than her 5K. That's unusual but it does happen. I would just stay consistent and see if you get any more speed as your fitness improves. No real reason to set a race goal too soon.

Enjoyed last year's small 50k so much I signed up for another: https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=33919

Course DescriptionThe 50km course consists of a 1 mile out and back followed by ten (10) loops of the 3 mile course at the Huntsville Running Park. The footing is hard packed dirt with rocks and roots mostly with some short sections on crushed stone. The course runs on the edge of the golf course with the first and last section across a grassy field. The 3 mile loop slowly climbs for the entire first mile (about 80' of elevation gain) followed by a steep downhill toward the highway. From there it is a small loop, always staying to the left, before returning to the base of the hill. After climbing the hill and topping out, the winds its way back on itself through the 2nd mile mark and back toward the start. The only deviation on this out and back course is the last section, where runners exit the woods and stay north along the fence line to make a loop of the field, before rejoining the out portion of the course, and back to the start. The miles are marked with signs and the arrows along the course guide runners which direction to take.
Not so sure how I'll feel about the 10 laps, but at least I won't get lost :D

Welcome to the thread!

Most people would say that in your first attempt at a distance that you shouldn't worry too much about the time, just worry about finishing. That being said most of us do have a goal time or times in mind, and I don't think there's anything too wrong with that. Just beware being too focused on that and ending up turning what should be a positive experience (finishing your first half marathon!) into a negative one (missing your time or worse blowing up by trying to go to fast for your fitness).

The calculators are a nice guideline, but not everyone lines up with them. My first road half marathon was a 1:57 (I also had a sub-2 goal), and I don't think I could have run a sub-26 5K at the time. That's where the individuality comes in as my strength is going longer distances, but I don't have any speed at the shorter distances.

I'll let all the others here that are more in tune with half marathon training chime in on details, as I'm sure there are a few key workouts you could do in the next 4-5 weeks that will give you a good gauge of your fitness and a realistic finishing time range.
:goodposting:

A goal is good, but given your current fitness if your body is screaming uncle at that pace then take a step back. We all want instant gratification, but chasing your goal when your body is saying no where you are right now is more likely to lead you to the IR than it is achieving your goal.

Happy Birthday, Fub!

Welcome to the thread Gamer. Just run the half to finish it (but finish strong). You will then have a goal to beat for your next half (and there will be a next half).

I'm back home. My brother drove to New Orleans from Atlanta to relieve me. Leaving my mother there was extremely difficult since it may be the last time I see her. Her condition remains very poor.

I have not run in four days, but might try a short evening run tonight (and then devouring chief-like quantities of calories). I lost 8 pounds while in NO.

Welcome, GamerBoy. Congrats on the weight loss and the start of your journey! I agree with the others - don't get too aggressive with the HM goal. As some have done here, treat it as two segments - 10 miles, then a 5K. If you do that, you could run the first segment comfortably then see what you've got left for the 5K.

Nevermind. Found it in the first post :)

Suck Index = temperature + dew point. The higher it is, the more it's gonna suck:
>160 - getting dangerous.
150-159 - just try to survive the workout.
140-149 - getting pretty miserable.
130-139 - can feel it getting soupy out there, but manageable if you dial the effort back a bit to start.
120-129 - not too bad; can feel a bit of humidity.
110-119 - feels great; won't affect performance.
<110 - Heavenly.

So with a 163 Suck Index (90 degrees plus 73 degree dew point) I am going to be struggling, I guess.
At 163 I'd use the word dying instead of struggling, but painting with a brighter colored brush as you're doing is probably better for mentally preparing yourself to sludge your way through that misery.

Enjoyed last year's small 50k so much I signed up for another: https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=33919

Course DescriptionThe 50km course consists of a 1 mile out and back followed by ten (10) loops of the 3 mile course at the Huntsville Running Park. The footing is hard packed dirt with rocks and roots mostly with some short sections on crushed stone. The course runs on the edge of the golf course with the first and last section across a grassy field. The 3 mile loop slowly climbs for the entire first mile (about 80' of elevation gain) followed by a steep downhill toward the highway. From there it is a small loop, always staying to the left, before returning to the base of the hill. After climbing the hill and topping out, the winds its way back on itself through the 2nd mile mark and back toward the start. The only deviation on this out and back course is the last section, where runners exit the woods and stay north along the fence line to make a loop of the field, before rejoining the out portion of the course, and back to the start. The miles are marked with signs and the arrows along the course guide runners which direction to take.
Not so sure how I'll feel about the 10 laps, but at least I won't get lost :D
Love seeing the ultrasigunup link!

That kind of course adds a mental component that isn't there on a big loop or point-to-point course. It's not quite the same challenge as a timed (6, 12, 24, 48-hour) race as there is a set distance, but you still pass through an easy place to stop every 3 miles. On the flip side, that should make logistics incredibly simple.

So with a 163 Suck Index (90 degrees plus 73 degree dew point) I am going to be struggling, I guess.
As someone who has run in that all summer, my advice is to run it real slow. And I mean real slow. Get your work in and get out. No need to be a hero on a day like that.

Love seeing the ultrasigunup link!

That kind of course adds a mental component that isn't there on a big loop or point-to-point course. It's not quite the same challenge as a timed (6, 12, 24, 48-hour) race as there is a set distance, but you still pass through an easy place to stop every 3 miles. On the flip side, that should make logistics incredibly simple.
I'm not too worried about stopping, though I'm sure it gets mentally challenging.

that the race is only $15 and there's only 100 people makes it not too intimidating.

At 163 I'd use the word dying instead of struggling, but painting with a brighter colored brush as you're doing is probably better for mentally preparing yourself to sludge your way through that misery.
We're pushing 150s-160s here the past few days, which is really pretty unique for us. But when it gets to 105 as it was at my house yesterday it doesn't take much of a dew point to push that SI up. Now I know what you guys are complaining about all the time : ;)

Truth.

Just getting something in in those conditions is a victory.

Also, I gotta imagine that there ain't going to be a 163 SI before sun up. Get up early and beat the heat the best you can, gator.

'Sup, dudes?! Sorry if this has been discussed already, but are we doing the fantasy league again this year? And if so, what do you guys think about throwing in a little bit of money (like $20/person) and winner takes all?!

I'm playing fantasy football again this year for the first time since 2007. Although my knowledge of players isn't anything like it used to be, I'd play in this league too if there is an opening from last year.

How do know if you are training at the proper volume or getting over your head? It may be too early for me to judge how much progress I've made but I'd like to see more signs of improvement after all these miles. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Would I be better off dialing it back to the Pfitz 55/18 for the last 12 weeks and getting more rest?

Interesting article popped up in my Google alert this morning (I have an alert set for Bergdahl)

http://io9.com/this-is-what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-stop-exercis-1724581507

...endurance training benefits a person’s overall capacity, while resistance training has limited effects on the aforementioned measures of fitness. Bergdahl says that regular endurance exercise leads to four major consequences:

1. Increased ability of the heart to eject blood
  2. increased ability of the blood vessels to send blood to where blood is needed
  3. Increased number of capillaries (the vessels that deliver oxygen and ‘food’ to the muscles)
  4. increased size and the number of mitochondria (the “power plants” of the cells).
All these changes lead to the more efficient use of oxygen, as well as nutrients. Instead of sending lots of blood to your gut, kidneys and skin, all with limited ability to enhance someone’s performance, your body has trained its capacity to use the resources for maximizing performance,” says Bergdahl.

Harry Pino, a senior exercise physiologist at the Sports Performance Center at NYU Langone Medical Center, agrees that endurance training has a profound effect on the body.

“Research shows that thirty consecutive minutes of cardiovascular activity, when done regularly, will not only improve your cardiovascular system, but will also improve some core mobility,” Pino told io9.

Typically, VO2 Max is the first fitness measure to be affected, followed by declines in muscle structure, power, strength, stamina, and coordination. Athletes in detraining mode can also expect to experience a rise in sugar levels and blood pressure. And indeed, some changes happen very quickly. As Bergdahl explained, the aerobic enzymes which provide food for the mitochondria decrease within days, while the adaptation in blood supply decreases relatively slowly. Basically, the local (within muscle) metabolic system declines greatly when compared to the capacity to circulate and deliver oxygen.

“There are studies indicating a decline of 7 to 10% of VO2 after 12 days of sudden inactivity, 14 to 15% after 50 days, and 16 to 18% after 80 days,” says Bergdahl. “Maximal values for cardiac output, stroke volume [the amount of blood pumped out of the heart during each contraction] and ability of mitochondria to extract oxygen each decline along the same lines while the heart rate increases.”

Like Bergdahl, Pino says that endurance is among the first things to go. In otherwise healthy people, detraining begins to produce its deleterious effects within the first week, though in very low percentages (less than 5%) in both VO2Max and muscle power. Pino says that runners demonstrate some of the most dramatic declines in these areas.

For example, Pino considers a person who can run 5 kilometers in 20 minutes. After just one week of inactivity, that person will typically worsen their time by approximately 10 seconds. But after 10 to 14 days, that’s when the percentages really start to drop. Runners begin to experience a reduction in muscle power, and start adding around one minute and five seconds to their time. Between 14 to 30 days, athletes can expect to experience around a 12% reduction in VO2 and a noticeable decrease of muscle power.

“Notice that during the first two weeks I described it as being a reduction of muscle power,” adds Pino, “but now we’re describing it as a decrease in muscle power.”

“Physiologic and performance measures improve rapidly during childhood and achieve a maximum between late adolescence and approximately age 30,” says Bergdahl. “The decline starts shortly after—sometimes after 40 depending on the body system—and the changes are similar to detraining.”

How do know if you are training at the proper volume or getting over your head? It may be too early for me to judge how much progress I've made but I'd like to see more signs of improvement after all these miles. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Would I be better off dialing it back to the Pfitz 55/18 for the last 12 weeks and getting more rest?
This is just based on my own personal experience, but I struggle with it a lot (GIVE ME INSTANT RESULTS!!!). I think you generally have to take a step back and compare at a higher level. Don't let a single disappointing run drive a long term decision. This is exactly why I like to keep a detailed training log in Excel...

Can you compare similar runs (with similar conditions) from 2-3 months ago? IIRC, you're pacing is much better now at a similar HR. That's a great sign given the higher volume and in the heat of the summer.

Are you dragging ### during the day? It's perfectly normal to feel like you have to fight through some workouts, but if you don't feel like you're able to recover during the day, you might be pushing the envelope.

You're in uncharted territory, so it's not going to be unusual to hit some rough patches. I think it's similar to what gruecd always said about running a race - don't be too quick to abandon the plan. Your body responds to stress in waves.

This is just based on my own personal experience, but I struggle with it a lot (GIVE ME INSTANT RESULTS!!!). I think you generally have to take a step back and compare at a higher level. Don't let a single disappointing run drive a long term decision. This is exactly why I like to keep a detailed training log in Excel...

Can you compare similar runs (with similar conditions) from 2-3 months ago? IIRC, you're pacing is much better now at a similar HR. That's a great sign given the higher volume and in the heat of the summer.

Are you dragging ### during the day? It's perfectly normal to feel like you have to fight through some workouts, but if you don't feel like you're able to recover during the day, you might be pushing the envelope.

You're in uncharted territory, so it's not going to be unusual to hit some rough patches. I think it's similar to what gruecd always said about running a race - don't be too quick to abandon the plan. Your body responds to stress in waves.
Yeah, I'm probably just over thinking today and my long run Sunday. Today the SI was 145 and I knew that my 10/5 was going to be difficult but I'm just not happy with 7:00(183). That sucks. I was this fast or faster running 25-30 miles a week.

I guess I just want to feel like I'm in PR shape because I've definitely been putting in PR time and effort. Overall, I feel pretty healthy and not overly fatigued. My legs weren't great this morning but nothing crazy. Maybe my body still needs to adapt to 60 miles a week?

But yeah :cry: :ptts:

Yeah, I'm probably just over thinking today and my long run Sunday. Today the SI was 145 and I knew that my 10/5 was going to be difficult but I'm just not happy with 7:00(183). That sucks. I was this fast or faster running 25-30 miles a week.

I guess I just want to feel like I'm in PR shape because I've definitely been putting in PR time and effort. Overall, I feel pretty healthy and not overly fatigued. My legs weren't great this morning but nothing crazy. Maybe my body still needs to adapt to 60 miles a week?

The bolded isn't really a fair comparison (imagine how strong you'd feel next week if you ran 25mi this week!). You're doing double the mileage now for the first time ever; you have to expect to be tired. There's a fine line of being tired and being over-trained, IMO. FWIW, I don't think you're over-training right now - you're just tired. If this entire week ends up being crappy, take a 'step-back' week next week to give yourself a chance to recharge (maybe as low as 40-45mi).

If it makes you feel any better, I've whiffed on every single tempo run this cycle with the exception of one. But then I crushed my 20/14 MP last weekend. Sometimes your body just doesn't line up with your schedule to give PR type results. It's a fine art balancing your body and schedule. :shrug:

...endurance training benefits a person’s overall capacity, while resistance training has limited effects on the aforementioned measures of fitness. Bergdahl says that regular endurance exercise leads to four major consequences:

2. increased ability of the blood vessels to send blood to where blood is needed
  3. Increased number of capillaries (the vessels that deliver oxygen and ‘food’ to the muscles)
  4. increased size and the number of mitochondria (the “power plants” of the cells).
All these changes lead to the more efficient use of oxygen, as well as nutrients.

I've read that a number of places, too, about increasing capillaries and mitochondria to build a more efficient and effective aerobic engine. And that occurs through the long, slow runs when it doesn't feel like anything is happening. Internally, though, we're building that capacity.

Gruecd, I'm interested in a league again, with or without money (easier logistics without the money). Gotta redeem my cellar-dwelling performance from last year.

Hang10, hang in there. The longer mileage is training you more for endurance than speed ..it's not about being fast in the early miles, but strong in the last ones.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned

The bolded isn't really a fair comparison (imagine how strong you'd feel next week if you ran 25mi this week!). You're doing double the mileage now for the first time ever; you have to expect to be tired. There's a fine line of being tired and being over-trained, IMO. FWIW, I don't think you're over-training right now - you're just tired. If this entire week ends up being crappy, take a 'step-back' week next week to give yourself a chance to recharge (maybe as low as 40-45mi).

If it makes you feel any better, I've whiffed on every single tempo run this cycle with the exception of one. But then I crushed my 20/14 MP last weekend. Sometimes your body just doesn't line up with your schedule to give PR type results. It's a fine art balancing your body and schedule. :shrug:
Yeah, I had wondered if I switched to the 55/18 now if I'd get some instant results because of the drop in mileage but then in the long run I might be under trained for my goal race. But on the flip side, how would I know if I was running too many miles in prep of your race until your race?

That's the beauty of the MP runs, IMO.

Yeah, I had wondered if I switched to the 55/18 now if I'd get some instant results because of the drop in mileage but then in the long run I might be under trained for my goal race. But on the flip side, how would I know if I was running too many miles in prep of your race until your race?

All these changes lead to the more efficient use of oxygen, as well as nutrients.

I've read that a number of places, too, about increasing capillaries and mitochondria to build a more efficient and effective aerobic engine. And that occurs through the long, slow runs when it doesn't feel like anything is happening. Internally, though, we're building that capacity.

Gruecd, I'm interested in a league again, with or without money (easier logistics without the money). Gotta redeem my cellar-dwelling performance from last year.

Hang10, hang in there. The longer mileage is training you more for endurance than speed ..it's not about being fast in the early miles, but strong in the last ones.
Mitochondrial Density....it's not just my Fantasy Football team name! (yes, I'm in again if we do it this year).

Typically, VO2 Max is the first fitness measure to be affected, followed by declines in muscle structure, power, strength, stamina, and coordination. Athletes in detraining mode can also expect to experience a rise in sugar levels and blood pressure. And indeed, some changes happen very quickly. As Bergdahl explained, the aerobic enzymes which provide food for the mitochondria decrease within days, while the adaptation in blood supply decreases relatively slowly. Basically, the local (within muscle) metabolic system declines greatly when compared to the capacity to circulate and deliver oxygen.
FUBAR, does the article touch on detraining relative to endurance? The effects indicated in what you posted are focused more on vo2 max and 5K times, I'm curious if there was something similar indicated on longer efforts? I've always heard that speed goes first but endurance can take a while to go, and the bolded would seem to back that up. Just curious if this study had any specifics.

Hey gruecd - I follow Zach Bitter on strava after seeing him at Ice Age. Holy hell is he an animal or what?!?! https://www.strava.com/activities/371860762/overview

"3 mile warm up, 12 mile tempo (5:48.84/mi.), 2 mile cool down.

Goal: following a 137 mile week with some key workouts simulate the final 20k of the 100k (a.k.a pushing on tired legs)."
And he's the poster boy for the Metabolic Efficiency/OFM/HFLC diet.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
FUBAR, does the article touch on detraining relative to endurance? The effects indicated in what you posted are focused more on vo2 max and 5K times, I'm curious if there was something similar indicated on longer efforts? I've always heard that speed goes first but endurance can take a while to go, and the bolded would seem to back that up. Just curious if this study had any specifics.
"According to Pino, higher trained athletes tend to show a drop of aerobic endurance within three weeks of detraining, but even after 12 weeks they will still retain a significant amount of bulk strength and endurance."

that's all I see.

'sup, fellas?

Ned, what are you training for? Your MP run looked insane.

I'm as heavy as I've ever been, usually run 4 or 5 miles on Saturday and Sunday each weekend, average about 9:30 per mile. Pretty grim. Going to try to get it going one more time.

On the bright side, my son's Cross Country season will start soon and I'm looking forward to that. He ended up averaging about 35 miles per week this summer - not super high, but high school races are only 5K and he started mixing in some pretty good speed work once he got his weekly mileage above 25. He's looking like the #1 guy on the team, but that's only because he's a senior. Everyone else is very young and the team's looking at a rough season in their conference. I've told him his mission is to at least beat the other team's #3 guy in every meet and stave off the automatic defeat, but I think there will be at least a couple of races where the opponent finishes 1-2-3. Still, he's in really good shape and I'm excited to see what he's able to do.

I will try to keep up (in the thread, though certainly not any runs in my current state of fitness). Looks like a lot of great stuff happening here.

'sup, fellas?

Ned, what are you training for? Your MP run looked insane.

I'm as heavy as I've ever been, usually run 4 or 5 miles on Saturday and Sunday each weekend, average about 9:30 per mile. Pretty grim. Going to try to get it going one more time.

On the bright side, my son's Cross Country season will start soon and I'm looking forward to that. He ended up averaging about 35 miles per week this summer - not super high, but high school races are only 5K and he started mixing in some pretty good speed work once he got his weekly mileage above 25. He's looking like the #1 guy on the team, but that's only because he's a senior. Everyone else is very young and the team's looking at a rough season in their conference. I've told him his mission is to at least beat the other team's #3 guy in every meet and stave off the automatic defeat, but I think there will be at least a couple of races where the opponent finishes 1-2-3. Still, he's in really good shape and I'm excited to see what he's able to do.

I will try to keep up (in the thread, though certainly not any runs in my current state of fitness). Looks like a lot of great stuff happening here.
9:30 pace per mile for 4 to 5 miles is nothing to sneeze at. I'd feel pretty good about that actually. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread