What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

I see the 2024 Boston qualifying times have been posted. Same as 2023.

Thinking I should probably book a hotel. I have read that the Hyatt near the finish line is a good choice. Plus I have status with them. Do the Boston pros here agree, and any other tips they can share?
Hyatt should be fine. Bottom line is that you want to stay somewhere near the finish line, right in the heart of the action, so it seems like your head is in the right place. One's first Boston Marathon isn't the time or place to think about saving money (IMHO).

Agreed, willing to spend to have the right experience.

That said, by some fluke, the Doubletree on the west side of Tufts had rooms available on points (70K/night), vs the Hyatt at $700+/night. And the former is cancelable up to 24 hours before arrival (Hyatt 30 days). So went with the Doubletree for now. Nothing I should be aware of with that location (looks about the same distance from the action as the Hyatt)?
I mean, it's roughly one mile away from the finish line, so that would be my only concern. Is the Hyatt really that far away, too? I usually pay through the nose to stay at Loews on the corner of Berkeley and Stuart. Last time got a super sweet deal through work at the Mandarin Oriental.

Yup, 0.9mi for them both. I'll keep sniffing around since the DoubleTree is refundable.
Don't overthink it? Before the race, the DT seems very convenient to Boston Commons for the buses out to Hopkinton (I think that's where they're staged, since I stay near Hopkinton). After the race, you're in a shoot walking east on Boylston for a few blocks, which gets you quite close to the DT. My post-race walk is over the the Back Bay transit stop to catch a train, and that's about the same distance as the DT. You'll want to walk off the race a little anyway. If you've got points for DT, I'd say use 'em.

And I strongly agree about being there on Saturday, at a minimum, for race check-in and to wander on Boylston. It's a great atmosphere, but you rack up some sneaky mileage walking around, so better to get that done on Saturday.

Yup, the post-race walk is definitely beneficial to me as well. For this event, I'm largely inelastic when it comes to prices, but the difference between 70K points/night (of which I have more than I know what to do with) vs $500-$700/night, is enough to walk a little further.

And regarding the "Saturday" comments, I plan to be there mid-Sat through early Tue. Will definitely check out activities on Sat/Sun.

It looks like the time has probably come to buy a new fitness watch. Without breaking the bank (under $500) what are the recommendations for tri tracking?

One I’m looking at now and seems to be everything I’m looking for: Polar vantage M2. I’m not anti Garmin but they seem to be a higher price for comparable quality. I’m currently using a Suunto Spartan, which just logged my 1,500th event with it.

I'm pretty pro-Garmin, given their reputation for being more accurate on GPS/HR than competitors. And as BnB said, the battery life is crazy good.

The new Fenix 7 Pro and Epix Pro just released, so that means you should see some deals on the prior models soon. I would hold off to see what pops there.

If you're really itching for something "now", here's the Fenix 6 Pro Solar for $400 or the Fenix 7 (non-solar) for $500.
Agree. The Fenix 7's are starting to go on sale and I've been waiting to grab one. So if I were in your shoes, I'd look seriously at the Fenix 7. Last time I did research, it sounded like the best option at the $500-700 price point. And apparently, its worlds better than the fenix 6 (which you'll find out there at under $350).

Thinking I should probably book a hotel. I have read that the Hyatt near the finish line is a good choice. Plus I have status with them. Do the Boston pros here agree, and any other tips they can share?
Hyatt should be fine. Bottom line is that you want to stay somewhere near the finish line, right in the heart of the action, so it seems like your head is in the right place. One's first Boston Marathon isn't the time or place to think about saving money (IMHO).

That said, by some fluke, the Doubletree on the west side of Tufts had rooms available on points (70K/night), vs the Hyatt at $700+/night. And the former is cancelable up to 24 hours before arrival (Hyatt 30 days). So went with the Doubletree for now. Nothing I should be aware of with that location (looks about the same distance from the action as the Hyatt)?
I mean, it's roughly one mile away from the finish line, so that would be my only concern. Is the Hyatt really that far away, too? I usually pay through the nose to stay at Loews on the corner of Berkeley and Stuart. Last time got a super sweet deal through work at the Mandarin Oriental.

Yup, 0.9mi for them both. I'll keep sniffing around since the DoubleTree is refundable.
Don't overthink it? Before the race, the DT seems very convenient to Boston Commons for the buses out to Hopkinton (I think that's where they're staged, since I stay near Hopkinton). After the race, you're in a shoot walking east on Boylston for a few blocks, which gets you quite close to the DT. My post-race walk is over the the Back Bay transit stop to catch a train, and that's about the same distance as the DT. You'll want to walk off the race a little anyway. If you've got points for DT, I'd say use 'em.

And I strongly agree about being there on Saturday, at a minimum, for race check-in and to wander on Boylston. It's a great atmosphere, but you rack up some sneaky mileage walking around, so better to get that done on Saturday.

Yup, the post-race walk is definitely beneficial to me as well. For this event, I'm largely inelastic when it comes to prices, but the difference between 70K points/night (of which I have more than I know what to do with) vs $500-$700/night, is enough to walk a little further.

And regarding the "Saturday" comments, I plan to be there mid-Sat through early Tue. Will definitely check out activities on Sat/Sun.

It looks like the time has probably come to buy a new fitness watch. Without breaking the bank (under $500) what are the recommendations for tri tracking?

One I’m looking at now and seems to be everything I’m looking for: Polar vantage M2. I’m not anti Garmin but they seem to be a higher price for comparable quality. I’m currently using a Suunto Spartan, which just logged my 1,500th event with it.

I'm pretty pro-Garmin, given their reputation for being more accurate on GPS/HR than competitors. And as BnB said, the battery life is crazy good.

The new Fenix 7 Pro and Epix Pro just released, so that means you should see some deals on the prior models soon. I would hold off to see what pops there.

If you're really itching for something "now", here's the Fenix 6 Pro Solar for $400 or the Fenix 7 (non-solar) for $500.
Agree. The Fenix 7's are starting to go on sale and I've been waiting to grab one. So if I were in your shoes, I'd look seriously at the Fenix 7. Last time I did research, it sounded like the best option at the $500-700 price point. And apparently, its worlds better than the fenix 6 (which you'll find out there at under $350).
No doubt you’re right but damn. Between the bathroom, upcoming new fence, a couple other minor Home projects, the kids wanting to eat, two in college (one free thank god), and wanting to retire at some point this century, I’m not really jumping to pay $700 for a watch.

Anybody else in wildfire smoke jail? Ran Monday night, but last evening smoke from Canada rolled in and it's only gotten worse today. Air Quality Index currently at 430, well into the "Hazardous" range, and you can see like 1/2 mile, so obviously I'm not going to exercise in that. Crazy. It's supposed to start getting better tomorrow.

Got a 965 a couple weeks ago and it's an astoundingly good piece of tech. I looked at all the current gen stuff and it was easily top of the pile for me. It should go into the mix to look at.

Anybody else in wildfire smoke jail? Ran Monday night, but last evening smoke from Canada rolled in and it's only gotten worse today. Air Quality Index currently at 430, well into the "Hazardous" range, and you can see like 1/2 mile, so obviously I'm not going to exercise in that. Crazy. It's supposed to start getting better tomorrow.
That sucks. Thankfully This is just fog due to humidity

No doubt you’re right but damn. Between the bathroom, upcoming new fence, a couple other minor Home projects, the kids wanting to eat, two in college (one free thank god), and wanting to retire at some point this century, I’m not really jumping to pay $700 for a watch.
I think you'll be able to hit that $500 mark during Black Friday if you can wait that long.

Yeah it sucks, had to do my workout yesterday on the treadmill. I overslept this morning and didn't have time to hit the gym, will have to get something in when I get home from work. Not sure when this will clear up, I don't like the idea of running my Saturday long run on the treadmill.

Smoke monster much worse today in Maryland, seems to be projected as the worst day hopefully. Went bike over the treddy today.

Yeah it sucks, had to do my workout yesterday on the treadmill. I overslept this morning and didn't have time to hit the gym, will have to get something in when I get home from work. Not sure when this will clear up, I don't like the idea of running my Saturday long run on the treadmill.

Smoke monster much worse today in Maryland, seems to be projected as the worst day hopefully. Went bike over the treddy today.
Yeah you were the two guys I thought of when I saw the maps today - looks like things have drifted down your way. It's definitely better than yesterday here with less of a campfire smell and better visibility. Still playing tonight by ear.

Yeah you were the two guys I thought of when I saw the maps today - looks like things have drifted down your way. It's definitely better than yesterday here with less of a campfire smell and better visibility. Still playing tonight by ear.
I ran this morning before I flew home from BWI. It was noticeably more smoky than when @bushdocda and I ran last night.

PS: Really nice setup they've got there with an 11-mile paved running path around the airport. Super convenient for travelers saying in the airport hotels.

Ok... Someone I know it's trying to get back on the workout wagon. HS baseball season is over so he has no more excuses. Been a good start. 5k run Monday, cross training workout Wednesday and 5k+ run this evening. Also doing 15 pushups and 15 air squats every morning to start the day - need to add in a plank with that too.

I should probably be better about tracking my shoes but I’m too lazy. Got an e-mail from Strava because it thinks my shoes have 2,956 miles on them 😂

It’s kind of funny, because if it was a real person rather than autogenerated, the anodyne “time for new shoes” would be more like “for the love of all that is good and holy swap out your shoes, crazy guy”

I used the smoke as justification to take an extra couple days before getting back out there. Wed and Thu were the only real noticeable days around here. Based on what my calf told me today the delay was a blessing. Not nearly as bad post run today vs last weekend, but it was still quite tight during. Not sure I'll be doing any back-to-back days until mid July, but we'll see if I can heel drop my way outta this thing.

Had a great long run this morning. Didn't have to make much of an effort to keep my HR in the right place, just plugged along until the end with 77/82 minutes spent in zone 2. Also gave me a nice mental boost for the rest of the day - days like today are why I enjoy running.

The less happy news is that my lower limbs are not enjoying this as much as I am. I already mentioned my arch and achilles pain in here - those have mostly been taken care of, but now I have some issues with my big toe. None of these problems have been severe enough for me to skip any workouts yet, but so many different aches and pains are popping up that I'm concerned about something more significant being on the horizon. Fingers crossed that this isn't the case and that the toe can be taken care of with plenty of icing/stretching/massaging.

Had a great long run this morning. Didn't have to make much of an effort to keep my HR in the right place, just plugged along until the end with 77/82 minutes spent in zone 2. Also gave me a nice mental boost for the rest of the day - days like today are why I enjoy running.

The less happy news is that my lower limbs are not enjoying this as much as I am. I already mentioned my arch and achilles pain in here - those have mostly been taken care of, but now I have some issues with my big toe. None of these problems have been severe enough for me to skip any workouts yet, but so many different aches and pains are popping up that I'm concerned about something more significant being on the horizon. Fingers crossed that this isn't the case and that the toe can be taken care of with plenty of icing/stretching/massaging.
I will say this about running an ramping up for a half: there is hurting and there is injury. You will always hurt somewhere. Those are the ones you can always shake off and within a mile of your run things start firing again. Embrace those and live with them.

Pay attention so they don’t turn into an injury. Be smart enough to shut it down before a pull or worse occurs.

One of my favorite tri’s was yesterday. Wet dog. I treat it as a practice race, but really should go faster in transitions. That’s free speed just by being better organized and probably could have won the AG with better transitions. Part of the problem in T1 is the ground is uneven, you run through a beach, over cobblestone, then into wet grass. But I still took too long relative to others.

Fourth time doing the race, bike was slowest of the 4 times. not horrible at 21.8 mph but I’ve lost some high end speed since 2016.

The run course has the first two miles on trail, the last mile on asphalt. Which explains my splits of 7:40, 7:19, 6:45. The goal there was to be under 7 for the last mile. I do find the course is friendlier than your average 5k, as starting on a trail and shaded is nicer to the legs and most don’t push nearly as hard to start.

One fun part about a sprint tri is you don’t really need to worry that much about nutrition. I just took a gel in T1 (which took too long) and water on the bike.

Got my training schedule for weeks 1-2 for Berlin. Nothing looks super difficult, and yet for some reason I'm still nervous...
I really like the strategy of targeting 3:10 and the approach from your coach. I'd probably ask him if I'd could bump the 14 miles up to 16 the first two weeks, but I'm paranoid about the distance of the marathon. How do you plan on incorporating this plan with the "75 Hard" challenge? Will you walk for the 2nd 45 minute workout each day?

Got my training schedule for weeks 1-2 for Berlin. Nothing looks super difficult, and yet for some reason I'm still nervous...
I really like the strategy of targeting 3:10 and the approach from your coach. I'd probably ask him if I'd could bump the 14 miles up to 16 the first two weeks, but I'm paranoid about the distance of the marathon. How do you plan on incorporating this plan with the "75 Hard" challenge? Will you walk for the 2nd 45 minute workout each day?
Walk or bike or yoga. I’ve done so many marathons that the distance doesn’t really phase me. If I do one 20-miler and a couple 18s, I’m good. Way more concerned with speed at this point.

Just for perspective -- what is 75% for you when you do the 6x20 second strides on Tuesday? Is that 7:30 pace? lower?
I just do strides based on effort. When I'm doing them 100%, I'd guesstimate that I top out at 90% of sprinting speed. So I guess I'll just back off a little bit. :shrug:

But definitely faster than 7:30 pace.

A bit of a milestone: It's mid-June and I've already set a new record high for elevation in Strava, surpassing the 30K feet of elevation from 2021 when I tried to focus on hills for that fall's Boston marathon. This year is a combination of running and, in recent weeks, walking due to the calf strain. A big recent benefit is working repeats of the nearby Mt. Hoy into my rotation (walking it for now; running it in the months ahead). And all this with rather low mileage.

One of my favorite tri’s was yesterday. Wet dog. I treat it as a practice race, but really should go faster in transitions. That’s free speed just by being better organized and probably could have won the AG with better transitions. Part of the problem in T1 is the ground is uneven, you run through a beach, over cobblestone, then into wet grass. But I still took too long relative to others.

Fourth time doing the race, bike was slowest of the 4 times. not horrible at 21.8 mph but I’ve lost some high end speed since 2016.

The run course has the first two miles on trail, the last mile on asphalt. Which explains my splits of 7:40, 7:19, 6:45. The goal there was to be under 7 for the last mile. I do find the course is friendlier than your average 5k, as starting on a trail and shaded is nicer to the legs and most don’t push nearly as hard to start.

One fun part about a sprint tri is you don’t really need to worry that much about nutrition. I just took a gel in T1 (which took too long) and water on the bike.
2nd in your AG? Nice!

Was wondering if folks in this thread had any experiences with an Apple Watch and Strava and was thinking this thread might be a good place to ask this question. I recently got an Apple Watch and one of the benefits of getting it was not needing to bring me phone on runs and bike rides and just using the Strava app on the watch. I know the area I run and ride in very well and the distances and when I am doing the run itself it looks good but when it uploads to the system I am losing like a half mile and it is messing up my pace. On long bike rides it is less annoying since what is a half mile on a 20 mile ride but I am not much of a runner and they are typical pretty short (rarerly longer than 3 miles) so it really screws up everything.

It would be annoying to have to start bringing my phone again. Anyone have any experience with this.

Anyway, I figured out the issue on this if anyone cares which is the Strava app for the Apple Watch just sucks. Just need to record my run using the Apple Workout App and then import it into the Strava app using my phone. Annoying extra step but it works fine and records the routes perfectly. Thought I would let people know in case they use the Apple Watch.

I'm officially fat and slow. First event in the Run (317) series that I've run the last couple of years was tonight. Last time I ran this course I was 2+ min per mile faster with basically the same HR, and I was already on the downslide then.

Good news is that it should be easy to improve from here so I guess I got that going for me.

I'm officially fat and slow. First event in the Run (317) series that I've run the last couple of years was tonight. Last time I ran this course I was 2+ min per mile faster with basically the same HR, and I was already on the downslide then.

Good news is that it should be easy to improve from here so I guess I got that going for me.

Lets go! :boxing:

I told my coach today that I won’t be able to do a structured training plan for Berlin. Between the “75 Hard” and family/work obligations, I’m not sleeping nearly enough, and I’m tired all the damn time. I’ll still run decent mileage and do my long runs and everything, and I’ll do some speed if/when my legs allow, but I just don’t care enough right now to dive deep into the pain cave.

ETA: I feel like I’m giving up on ever being as fast as I was, and I don’t like it. So much of my identity is tied up in this.

Last edited:
I told my coach today that I won’t be able to do a structured training plan for Berlin. Between the “75 Hard” and family/work obligations, I’m not sleeping nearly enough, and I’m tired all the damn time. I’ll still run decent mileage and do my long runs and everything, and I’ll do some speed if/when my legs allow, but I just don’t care enough right now to dive deep into the pain cave.

ETA: I feel like I’m giving up on ever being as fast as I was, and I don’t like it. So much of my identity is tied up in this.
I totally understand your need to back off on the structured and intense Berlin training. But I also understand your angst over the performance slippage - find a way to get it back, or adjust to a new reality? Very tough dynamic, especially for someone with your competitive edge. One option is to take the long view and switch to more of an AG mentality. But I’m sure that will feel like settling, and that’s not your style. I trust you’ll figure it all out.

That time will come but I don’t think you’re there yet. I just see this as time period where you’re prioritizing the 75 hard over marathon training. There’s nothing wrong with that, and I wouldn’t be surprised if you learn a few things in 75 hard that will help you in future marathon cycles.

You and your coach knew that your weren’t a single marathon cycle away from being in PR shape, but perhaps you will be after finishing 75 hard. No one can do it all, even you. Happy Fathers Day.

Maybe you just have a new identity that is starting to show itself.

Being married and having kids obviously changes things. Especially kids. For a long time you have the benefit of TIME. You had plenty of it to spare and used that time to transform yourself into this amazing running machine. You changed your life for the way better. And you are good at it and it helped give you that swagger and confidence that you are capable of damn near everything.

Then a child comes, and you look at her and all of a sudden all that time you had is now splintered in a lot of different directions. You fight with yourself on trying to maintain what you were to what you have to be now. And that's a tough battle. We have all been there. I know when I first started running I even posted here about as I got serious I got a LOT of pushback from my spouse about spending so much time away from the kids because of the running.

And now you are in that.

I will say this: my wife was right. I made a lot of decisions of running over them. It all worked out in the end but I'm not near the runner that you are. So I know your internal struggle with this is real and intense and probably impossible to sort out.

But your new reality for awhile is choices. What is most important is how you delegate that time and prioritize that time relative to your goals. As I see it, after you factor in your family time, you have two pretty hard things going on simultaneously to pick from:

1. The 75 Hard
2. The marathon training

You can't do both obviously. But the way I see it is this: you are a runner and a damn good one. If I'm you I prioritize the marathon block. You are traveling to Berlin with some great people and if I know you as I think I do, you will be disappointed in yourself if you don't show well there.

I abandon the 75 Hard - but not completely. Take the good components and use them to your advantage - the better diet, limited alcohol or none at all, etc. You combine those several items with a good training block and you set yourself up for a GREAT 2024 off of a great race in Berlin.

Being married and having kids obviously changes things. Especially kids. For a long time you have the benefit of TIME. You had plenty of it to spare and used that time to transform yourself into this amazing running machine. You changed your life for the way better. And you are good at it and it helped give you that swagger and confidence that you are capable of damn near everything.

Then a child comes, and you look at her and all of a sudden all that time you had is now splintered in a lot of different directions. You fight with yourself on trying to maintain what you were to what you have to be now. And that's a tough battle. We have all been there. I know when I first started running I even posted here about as I got serious I got a LOT of pushback from my spouse about spending so much time away from the kids because of the running.

And now you are in that.

I will say this: my wife was right. I made a lot of decisions of running over them. It all worked out in the end but I'm not near the runner that you are. So I know your internal struggle with this is real and intense and probably impossible to sort out.

But your new reality for awhile is choices. What is most important is how you delegate that time and prioritize that time relative to your goals. As I see it, after you factor in your family time, you have two pretty hard things going on simultaneously to pick from:

1. The 75 Hard
2. The marathon training

You can't do both obviously. But the way I see it is this: you are a runner and a damn good one. If I'm you I prioritize the marathon block. You are traveling to Berlin with some great people and if I know you as I think I do, you will be disappointed in yourself if you don't show well there.

I abandon the 75 Hard - but not completely. Take the good components and use them to your advantage - the better diet, limited alcohol or none at all, etc. You combine those several items with a good training block and you set yourself up for a GREAT 2024 off of a great race in Berlin.
TL;DR

RF;DBAP

But your new reality for awhile is choices. What is most important is how you delegate that time and prioritize that time relative to your goals.
:yes:

I could make different decisions between 8-9 pm and 11 pm'ish, but as long as I prioritize sleep in my new normal available time isn't a thing between 7 am and 8-9 pm. I find a window to exercise just about every day, but it is very rare for that window to be an hour, let alone more. If I try I find myself needing to cut a corner - whether it be as a dad, husband, friend, coach, or worker. I'm not willing to do that. There will be a day when my free time returns and when it does I'll re-consider where endurance running fits, but between now and then it ain't happening. I suppose that is easier to say when I can't get and stay healthy, but even when I've had stretches of good health I'm topping out at 35-40 miles per week and 8-10 miles per run. If I can ever get my body right again that's probably my max.

@gruecd I know we’ve talked about moderation being difficult and that modifying the 75 day thing is not doing it. Would it help time wise to complete that challenge if you turn the extra workout time into walk/core/mobility combo to support the mileage and sort of double up the benefits of that extra time you’re committing.
Can you mod the marathon plan to a workout and a long run per week and still have a good result and day and trip - I think so. But you have to cut yourself a break first and see the bigger picture of the challenge, Berlin and into fall rim run that you want to accomplish this year. And how that plays into A racing next year with focus onto that goal when you don’t have to take as many daily selfies.

And now you are in that.

1. The 75 Hard
2. The marathon training

TL;DR

RF;DBAP
I love this thread and these back to back posts are why. I am sad I have been absent so long and missed this kind of thing. You guys rock in so many ways.

Finally had the lightbulb go off in my dumb head that it’s my my piriformis giving me much of the overall right leg grief - strainy ache in my glute 😳and some radiating junk into hammy.

Switching to less myofacial release to leg lifts and slide stuff has provided relief pretty significantly. Not out of the woods yet but I see a path in time for quality sessions to increase and 12 weeks till the gun.

Finally had the lightbulb go off in my dumb head that it’s my my piriformis giving me much of the overall right leg grief - strainy ache in my glute 😳and some radiating junk into hammy.

Switching to less myofacial release to leg lifts and slide stuff has provided relief pretty significantly. Not out of the woods yet but I see a path in time for quality sessions to increase and 12 weeks till the gun.
One of my hypotheses is that most of runners’ injuries stem from hip area tightness (piriformis, hip flexors, etc.) and that the root problem isn’t really running, it’s from sitting too much.

One of my hypotheses is that most of runners’ injuries stem from hip area tightness (piriformis, hip flexors, etc.) and that the root problem isn’t really running, it’s from sitting too much.
Agree - Put them together and it ain’t peanut butter and jelly.

even when I've had stretches of good health I'm topping out at 35-40 miles per week and 8-10 miles per run. If I can ever get my body right again that's probably my max.
There isn't anything wrong with 35 miles a week. That's a solid load. I'm trying to keep steady at ~100 miles a week (cycling, so ~6 hours).

I feel like a total slacker as I am trying to run 5 miles and ride 35 miles a week. I wish I could do more but it is hard to find the time between work, kids and other commitments.

P.S. I also have no desire to run a marathon.

even when I've had stretches of good health I'm topping out at 35-40 miles per week and 8-10 miles per run. If I can ever get my body right again that's probably my max.
There isn't anything wrong with 35 miles a week. That's a solid load. I'm trying to keep steady at ~100 miles a week (cycling, so ~6 hours).

I feel like a total slacker as I am trying to run 5 miles and ride 35 miles a week. I wish I could do more but it is hard to find the time between work, kids and other commitments.

P.S. I also have no desire to run a marathon.
Not a slacker at all! Just don't let yourself get caught in comparisons to the overachievers that hang out here. If you're doing what's right and what's realistic for you, then it's all good. 5 miles or 50 miles, this thread is happy to provide support and encouragement.

Users who are viewing this thread