What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (3 Viewers)

Yeah. He’s not the type of back that’s ever been ideal to make something out of nothing getting hit in the backfield as he takes the handoff—you block for him, let him get a head of steam and ram into the little guys in the secondary. The above post about him hitting the 7th fastest speed by a ball carrier means he’s still fast with no qualifiers; clearly has at least a couple steps to lose before he’s not fast for a guy that big, which is good enough to produce in a non-terrible situation. Hell, he was still a low-end rb1 even with the crap he had to deal with this year.

It’d be a struggle to get a 2nd for him, he will retire off my roster
He was hit behind the line of scrimmage more than any other back last year and ran for 1500
lol fair point, was thinking more stylistically vs a lateral quickness type jitterbug but would be curious to see a breakdown of how his runs break down vs other backs as far as making something of those vs it happens one down and then the next run there’s a hole and he’s off

I've never seen a player give an on field au revoir to the fans like that, what a classy dude given the circumstances.

He had a great career with the Titans but they have been disaster since Arthur Smith left. Let's get the King a ring somewhere else now.

I bailed on him this season due to keeper costs but have no problem dropping $50 on him next year if he lands in a good situation.

I dropped Spears in a major injury/bye pinch, but kicking myself now. I wouldn't keep him over JT or Achane, but if/when Henry leaves I can see Spears being a top 10 RB.
He can't run between the tackles. He looks cartoonish running into a wall when he does.
I have traded him away everywhere I had him. I don't want Pollard or Meggett or Sproles if I can trade him as if he's a young franchise back n fetch a nice return.

Julius Chestnut tore his ACL and has already had surgery and PT rehab completed. He'd be good to go in January or February if they were better.

Here's one highlight-
Search Twitter for Julius Chestnut and see for yourself. He's a big boy that lowers the shoulders and has a bit of shiftiness to him.

The plan was to have Chestnut be Henry's between the tackles backup with Spears on third down. He started over Spears in preseason too.

When they talked of getting Spears more involved as the summer wore on, it was as a slot WR. Granted no one was buying that but it wasn't him bumping Chestnut.

Spears likely has earned something in the teams eyes in 2023 and kudos to him BUT you're also expecting their (likely) new OC to want a scatback as a lead back and that they won't draft a RB if Henry is unavailable.

When Henry was dinged up, they signed big Jacques Patrick to the PS just in case....which again doesn't scream confidence in Spears between the tackles.

I've gotten two firsts, a first and a player, two veterans....the market is gold. I totally recommend trading Spears

Hopkins already let "them" know they need to bring Henry back
I hope these two retire titans. But if I’m Henry I am looking hard at teams with a better chance to win a championship.
I’d hate it but imagine the 👑 in Baltimore (among other places)

I dropped Spears in a major injury/bye pinch, but kicking myself now. I wouldn't keep him over JT or Achane, but if/when Henry leaves I can see Spears being a top 10 RB.
He can't run between the tackles. He looks cartoonish running into a wall when he does.
I have traded him away everywhere I had him. I don't want Pollard or Meggett or Sproles if I can trade him as if he's a young franchise back n fetch a nice return.

Julius Chestnut tore his ACL and has already had surgery and PT rehab completed. He'd be good to go in January or February if they were better.

Here's one highlight-
Search Twitter for Julius Chestnut and see for yourself. He's a big boy that lowers the shoulders and has a bit of shiftiness to him.

The plan was to have Chestnut be Henry's between the tackles backup with Spears on third down. He started over Spears in preseason too.

When they talked of getting Spears more involved as the summer wore on, it was as a slot WR. Granted no one was buying that but it wasn't him bumping Chestnut.

Spears likely has earned something in the teams eyes in 2023 and kudos to him BUT you're also expecting their (likely) new OC to want a scatback as a lead back and that they won't draft a RB if Henry is unavailable.

When Henry was dinged up, they signed big Jacques Patrick to the PS just in case....which again doesn't scream confidence in Spears between the tackles.

I've gotten two firsts, a first and a player, two veterans....the market is gold. I totally recommend trading Spears

Here's one highlight-

That means nothing as rebuttal to me.
See everyone shift n pull to the right so he can scoot up the middle? That's not what I was saying he can't do. I'd put him in any clever or trick play, he's got as much quick burst as anyone in football and is so wow when he does.
Simple, normal, up the gut plays are brutally bad- cartoonish that make ya almost say ouch while watching.

ETA Tiki called a game and spoke at length about him on the radio the next day. He wasn't as critical as me but he wasn't a fan of him up the middle and similar.

Here's one highlight-

That means nothing as rebuttal to me.
See everyone shift n pull to the right so he can scoot up the middle? That's not what I was saying he can't do. I'd put him in any clever or trick play, he's got as much quick burst as anyone in football and is so wow when he does.
Simple, normal, up the gut plays are brutally bad- cartoonish that make ya almost say ouch while watching.

ETA Tiki called a game and spoke at length about him on the radio the next day. He wasn't as critical as me but he wasn't a fan of him up the middle and similar.
My take on Spears is strictly from a fantasy perspective.

Simple, normal, up the gut plays for minimal yardage are almost worthless fantasy-wise, outside of goal line carries. If anything, those carries amount to excessive wear and tear on an RB. That said, the clip I posted clearly demonstrates that Spears can be effective near the goal line. The fact that they drew up a unique play to maximize Spears’ skill set is a plus, not a negative. It means they know how to use him.

I don’t think anyone expects Spears to be a Derrick Henry type workhorse. Dallas tried that with Pollard and it failed miserably. What matters is that Spears is used in ways that exploit his game-breaking talent, similar to the way Dallas used Pollard before Zeke left.

As an excited Spears manager, I’m fully expecting a committee of some kind in 2024, like pretty much every other team. Are we down on Gibbs in 2024 because Montgomery is better up the gut? Bijan because Allgeier? Achane because Mostert? If Tennessee brings in another RB so be it. Spears has the skill set to be an RB1 without being a workhorse.

After what we’ve seen in his rookie season, with or without Derrick Henry there, it’s a pretty safe bet that Spears will be heavily featured in the Tennessee offense in 2024, one way or another. My prediction is that he’ll be a fun, exciting, highly productive player.

Vrabel's firing...as long as there isn't a familiar face or promotion from within (super doubtful) then I'm now leaning towards my guy playing in another uniform. 😪
New coach, new energy, new ....

Henry was a guest on Bussin w the Boys about twenty minutes after Vrabel's firing was announced. That episode airs next Tuesday and Wednesday so it'll probably be interesting to see

Henry took his o line to Carver steakhouse in Vegas.

His good guy stuff is so constant 👑
As much as we love the guy, I actually want to see him playing for a contender next year. There’s very little chance of the titans contending next year. Ravens probably can’t afford him but he’s the one Titan I’d still be a fan of if he went to Houston.

Hopefully tannehill also starts for a good team next year (Atlanta!)

Henry has always been a very classy guy. I hope he finds a new team and is able to have 2 more good years and maybe get himself into the HOF. I know we don't usually see RBs in their 30s ball out but if anyone can, it's Henry. He's built so physically different and unfortunately he was used pretty lightly his first couple seasons.

I watched his appearance on Bussin w the Boys.
As far as returning or leaving, he sounds like every other longtime veteran. He understands the business side is there. He wants to return but he's unsure if he's in their plans.

He voiced the same concern as the other Titans- that end of year was not the same as any previous year. Not thanks for the efforts, work on this, watch that just....take care, buh bye.

With Vrabel n Ran meeting so serious and a bad season it's kind of understandable.

He gave that speech and explained ya never know in this biz and he wanted to say thank you but he does very much want to return.

Is there a scenario where Harbaugh goes to the Chargers and Henry joins him there? Henry fits the Frank Gore mold that Harbaugh seemed to like in San Fran. I personally think this would be a horrific landing spot and that o-line might be the worst in the NFL. Just spit balling...

Is there a scenario where Harbaugh goes to the Chargers and Henry joins him there? Henry fits the Frank Gore mold that Harbaugh seemed to like in San Fran. I personally think this would be a horrific landing spot and that o-line might be the worst in the NFL. Just spit balling...
I don't know how much Henry will want to make next year, but I'm pretty skeptical they'll be able to pay it. They're in cap hell. It would have to be a very team friendly deal.

I don't know how much Henry will want to make next year, but I'm pretty skeptical they'll be able to pay it. They're in cap hell. It would have to be a very team friendly deal.

Agree, I don't see them paying what Henry would require. I could definitely see the Chargers drafting Michigan RB Corum in the middle rounds if Harbaugh is hired.

Just spitballing here but if Henry or Barkley want to get paid, they almost have to go to a team with a QB on a rookie contract. Having either would help that QB too.

Just spitballing here but if Henry or Barkley want to get paid, they almost have to go to a team with a QB on a rookie contract. Having either would help that QB too.
I think you are probably right. Maybe Houston?

Don't tell @-OZ- but one betting site lists Houston as the favorite to land AJB. If Henry also went there....it wouldn't be pretty for us Titans fans

Don't tell @-OZ- but one betting site lists Houston as the favorite to land AJB. If Henry also went there....it wouldn't be pretty for us Titans fans
:shrug: That’s no surprise. Houston is a perfect fit. I’d even cheer for him for 15 games.

As someone with Henry, I hope the odds are right with Baltimore. A huge upgrade at OL and if they want to protect Lamar who better to shoulder the running game.
The problem with the idea of the Titans keeping him n fans wishes is for all these rumored teams, he could be what they're missing that'll put them over the top.

Ravens backs get injured then Gus comes thru every year. To get a gem would be a no brainer for them. Also some have them cutting OBJ to afford Henry and well he didn't produce worth his salary so there's another plus

As someone with Henry, I hope the odds are right with Baltimore. A huge upgrade at OL and if they want to protect Lamar who better to shoulder the running game.
I traded both my Henry shares but him in BAL would be fun to watch. One last year to run over everyone.
I haven't seen the decline.
The last two years he sets records (or somesuch) for hits behind the line of scrimmage because the Titans line stunk. I think that has people thinking decline inadvertently.
New OC was a total train wreck and plenty of quotes where he should have used him more etc.
He still shines on all the people that said he was slow with a NextGen stat every year for speed.
I'm quite willing to accept there may be some but...also that he may hit 2k with the right team again

I'm not saying it's going to happen but teams that have questions at QB, ones that might be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd Rd they plan on starting in 2024 would be wise to get a guy like Henry for a 1-2 year fill while a young QB gets their sea legs, that's where Henry will cash in, a wise GM would want him.

Now let's talk about the Tampa Bay Bucs because I lie White the pass catcher but the RB between the Tackles not so much. Bucs need a powerhouse runner and I think Henry would love the weather, the filed at Bucs Stadium is incredible, players love to run on it. It will save Henry's wear n tear, they can go lighter on road games w/Artificial turf and do a bigger split with White, work in a week or two off during the season if ned be but I could see the Bucs bringing him in. They need a thumper, they need a RB that can make defenses pay when they aren't paying attention, he can still do those things.

Kinda surprised how low Tennessee is. Miami and LA Chargers seem highly unlikely due to cap issues, and in Miami's case already being pretty set at RB. Baltimore would be downright terrifying for the NFL. If Henry goes to Baltimore, I think he's a top-5 fantasy pick, not at RB, top-5 overall.

Mostert will be 32 and only 650K in dead money if cut. I don't believe they want to hand the reins to solely Achane quite yet either. But I do agree that Miami doesn't seem likely compared to others but stranger things have happened.

I traded both my Henry shares but him in BAL would be fun to watch. One last year to run over everyone.
The last two years he sets records (or somesuch) for hits behind the line of scrimmage because the Titans line stunk. I think that has people thinking decline inadvertently.
New OC was a total train wreck and plenty of quotes where he should have used him more etc.
He still shines on all the people that said he was slow with a NextGen stat every year for speed.
I'm quite willing to accept there may be some but...also that he may hit 2k with the right team again
I've seen nothing to suggest Derrick Henry isn't still a top-3 RB.

I'm not saying it's going to happen but teams that have questions at QB, ones that might be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd Rd they plan on starting in 2024 would be wise to get a guy like Henry for a 1-2 year fill while a young QB gets their sea legs, that's where Henry will cash in, a wise GM would want him.
Maybe, but if there’s similar money involved I’d think Barkley, Jacobs and maybe ekeler (who would probably be cheaper) would help a young QB as much as Henry. DH just fits the run game style the ravens seem to like.

Now let's talk about the Tampa Bay Bucs because I lie White the pass catcher but the RB between the Tackles not so much. Bucs need a powerhouse runner and I think Henry would love the weather, the filed at Bucs Stadium is incredible, players love to run on it. It will save Henry's wear n tear, they can go lighter on road games w/Artificial turf and do a bigger split with White, work in a week or two off during the season if ned be but I could see the Bucs bringing him in. They need a thumper, they need a RB that can make defenses pay when they aren't paying attention, he can still do those things.
Sounds like Tennessee...

He’s a cyborg

Love watching Henry play. Hope he gets a shot on a contender like BAL. Would love to have him on my fantasy squad next year and hope my league mates let him slip a little due to aging concerns. If he stays on TEN, not sure I'll roster him.

Love watching Henry play. Hope he gets a shot on a contender like BAL. Would love to have him on my fantasy squad next year and hope my league mates let him slip a little due to aging concerns. If he stays on TEN, not sure I'll roster him.
Latest discussion (not even calling it a rumor because zero basis) is Titans and Bengals about swapping RBs via free agency.

Whoever mentions him in whatever context, he's the "put them over the top" player. I don't recall anyone so definitively "that guy" recently.

Evans is gaining some steam of his own too.
It's been a few years at least, since we had a tide shifting free agent.

Right now if I said who wins Cincy or Baltimore with Henry? Baltimore or Cincy with Henry?

Fascinating to watch this unfold in March

Fwiw, I don't know a Titans reporter that expects him to re-sign.
They all seem to have gone from 50/50 to it's inevitable he leaves

Fwiw, I don't know a Titans reporter that expects him to re-sign.
They all seem to have gone from 50/50 to it's inevitable he leaves
He did give his farewell speech so I am assuming he is gone. Likely wanting to go somewhere to try to win a title (and obviously get paid). That isn't likely in TEN.

Reactions: Bri
I very much disagree. I spent a fortune on Henry last year and watched every single Titans game. He looked slow and a shadow of his old self, IMO. And you can't blame the O-Line, which was horrible. Spears looked explosive and quite frankly, the better back most of the time.

Reactions: Bri
The Ravens’ official website confirms free agent Gus Edwards is not expected to re-sign with the team.
Edwards was one of a handful of Ravens heading into the “void year” on his deal, and the deadline to extend such players was Monday. Since the Ravens declined to do so with Edwards, he would count against their cap twice for 2024 if he re-signed now. In other words, there is almost no chance he’s back. Edwards has long been a valued role player in the Ravens’ committee backfield, but the team seems to be itching to remake its running back group after 2023’s ongoing injury issues. They have already been loosely connected to impending free agent Derrick Henry. A one-trick pony going on 29 with a recent injury history, Edwards could struggle for a high guarantee on the open market despite last year’s 13 touchdowns.

Titans GM and coach at combine.

GM Praised Spears for loving the game, never missing a practice, commitment etc.

Callahan doesn't know that the RB position has been devalued but thinks it's been more of a division of labor. Sometimes teams have three guys doing the work and sometimes it's predominantly one.

I'm sure there will be Henry questions asked but that didn't happen that I read or saw on Twitter or Titans live stream.

I don't think there's anything left to be said. The Titans are expected to make him an offer and he is expected to either take it or go make more or go try and win a championship. I don't think that changes. It'll be on Henry and his agent and it'll be a rare time a player can pick n choose what he wants

The Ravens’ official website confirms free agent Gus Edwards is not expected to re-sign with the team.
Edwards was one of a handful of Ravens heading into the “void year” on his deal, and the deadline to extend such players was Monday. Since the Ravens declined to do so with Edwards, he would count against their cap twice for 2024 if he re-signed now. In other words, there is almost no chance he’s back. Edwards has long been a valued role player in the Ravens’ committee backfield, but the team seems to be itching to remake its running back group after 2023’s ongoing injury issues. They have already been loosely connected to impending free agent Derrick Henry. A one-trick pony going on 29 with a recent injury history, Edwards could struggle for a high guarantee on the open market despite last year’s 13 touchdowns.
This is the time of year many fans pretend it's their wallet and it's weird.
As long as he leaves Tennessee he's probably getting paid significantly.
One injury is not an injury history unless you're pretending you're negotiating and even then ignoring he led the league in rushing for like 12 weeks and got injured after 8.
He doesn't have the stats yet but he's about a HOF star since high school. Soooo many players from other teams go out of their way to meet him.
His workouts are insane.
His demeanor and attitude and charitable stuff... all intangibles are outstanding.
He's not a typical free agent. They're adding a gem in a ton of ways.
Conversely, many positions have big personalities that come with star power. Henry is not that.

Again though, most of all, he's widely viewed as the guy that can put whatever team over the top. There isn't an easier situation for an agent to represent someone in

I very much disagree. I spent a fortune on Henry last year and watched every single Titans game. He looked slow and a shadow of his old self, IMO. And you can't blame the O-Line, which was horrible. Spears looked explosive and quite frankly, the better back most of the time.
You didn't watch every Titans game with an open minded view. That seems clear.

There were a few games people thought Spears was the better back, that's all. And there weren't many Titans fans thinking that.

Your can't blame the OL comment is weird, possibly naive because we've discussed here how Henry was hit more behind the line of scrimmage than any other back in 2022 and then near the most in 2023. It's difficult for any back to have success when they lead the league in that category.

He was lauded for pass blocking and that's abnormal. No one ever discussed his blocking. Scat back speed back Spears should have been in on those plays.

Henry has shown the last few years to have quite capable hands and is graded curiously high as a receiver by PFF.

He is on those next Gen charts for highest MPH during a game.

It's far easier to take a pitch and turn on speed running to the sideline than to take a handoff, get hit, and somehow work up the speed to be on a NextGen chart.

I very much agree with everything Tiki Barber said. He IS the prototype Spears is going for. He called the game and then spent at least forty five minutes discussing Spears the next day. You should absolutely try to find it on the web and listen. It's excellent criticism and praise put together well and standing on an "I know more than Tiki about speed backs" is a weird mountain to be on.
Tiki pointed out time n again that Spears was too anxious and eventually questioned if he has the ability. The others rebuffed him that he does and it was probably rookie nerves. He simply turned on the jets without looking many times and ran into players- OL or D. Patience was the followup discussion. Titans linemen not fast n athletic, built right for him to have success and they're going to need to be more athletic if they plan to call the plays (he feels) they need to. He whiffed on some pass blocks then nailed some in that good proof of learning way.
Tiki goes so in depth, it's really a wonderful listen if you can find it

Users who are viewing this thread