What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Travis Etienne, JAX (2 Viewers)

The guy was RB14 and people were calling him a bum. I just don’t get it.
RB18 in my league

Behind Jerome Ford, James Conner, Zach Moss and Khalil Herbert

I think that's what they are complaining about..
it’s been 4 games. Even in your league the difference between him and Conner is like 2 points. He’s had 2 good games. It’s just how fantasy goes unless you are CMC. Guys have big games and bounce up, have a bad game slip down.

Well it was 2 points, now ETN will firmly be in the RB1 range.

Don't disagree but if you are in a standard league and he was your top pick it kind of sucks. The guy in our league has breece hall, etienne, and gibbs (detroit) and is 0-4. Was bragging post draft at how awesome his backfield was

Not a playoff league either so he's done

RB18 in my league

it’s been 4 games. Even in your league the difference between him and Conner is like 2 points. He’s had 2 good games. It’s just how fantasy goes unless you are CMC. Guys have big games and bounce up, have a bad game slip down.

Well it was 2 points, now ETN will firmly be in the RB1 range.

Don't disagree but if you are in a standard league and he was your top pick it kind of sucks. The guy in our league has breece hall, etienne, and gibbs (detroit) and is 0-4. Was bragging post draft at how awesome his backfield was

Not a playoff league either so he's done
Well ETN has been the best of that bunch by far. ETN was on average a 3rd round pick or RB10. He’s been performing just slightly under that but not much. He hasn’t been winning the league for anyone but he also hasn’t been losing it either.

RB18 in my league

4 games.

No doubt and he is a bell cow. I'm going to start him because of the number of touches

Just pointing out that it's a legitimate gripe at this point in this season
In preseason there was way too much talk of Bigsby reducing ETN’s role.

To date we’ve seen nothing to validate that

Very happy with Etienne, not with me as I benched him. I also have Anthony Richardson and Bijan Robiinson starting. Still, leading the league in scoring this week and projected to finish 1st this week by 30 points. 🍻

Such a late third round value this year. He's carrying my team.
Just don’t get too comfortable because he can’t catch passes, is too small, too slow, runs weird, is competing with a UDFA, doesn’t have a cool enough name, etc. Sure he’s one of the best college RBs of all time with a perfect athletic profile but there’s this guy named Tank on his team so watch out.

What is the new reason why ETN isn't that good and won't produce for fantasy?
I heard he smells funny and doesnt use punctuation.
That would honestly make about as much sense as when people were knocking him because they thought his gait was weird. It's like ok, his "weird"gait ran for the most yards in the history of the ACC so I don't think it's a problem guys.

H
That would honestly make about as much sense as when people were knocking him because they thought his gait was weird. It's like ok, his "weird"gait ran for the most yards in the history of the ACC so I don't think it's a problem guys.
Honestly I dont even recall that one.

Mostly I just heard people saying he was too small and didnt run with enough power to their liking.

Which may have been a fair criticism as Pederson said some similar things as far as what he wanted to see ETN do more consistently, which he is doing now.

Last edited:
H
I think it was his duck feet or something along those lines, which even then sounded strange as a criticism.

H

Mostly I just heard people saying he was too small and didnt run with enough power to their liking.

Which may have been a fair criticism as Pederson said some similar things as far as what he wanted to see ETN do more consistently, which he is doing now.
After he broke his foot there all of a sudden became some gait experts on Twitter who said that the way he runs meant it was inevitable that he would break his foot. I’ve followed him for awhile and every year it’s always been something. Now of course this isn’t necessarily the mainstream either but there is just a weird dismissing of him or disrespect that I’m not sure I’ve ever seen before for a RB that objectively was such a perfect prospect.

H
I think it was his duck feet or something along those lines, which even then sounded strange as a criticism.
Yeah that was it. The guy owned an Ohio State D that probably had 8 future NFL players on it, I don’t think his feet are an issue.

H
Ah, I recall making a similar criticism of Chris Carson when evaluating him as a prospect.

I later learned why players do this when studying footwork drills and techniques pretty extensively because of the HC criticisms of Bishop Sankey having poor footwork, and wanting to understand this better.

The duck walking is a technique players use to be in a better position to try to jump cut off it with a sudden change of direction off the planted foot. It also helps somewhat with their contact balance if they do get hit while trying to avoid tackle attempts because of the wider base.

The player is giving up some speed and forward momentum when using this technique, but with good footwork can quickly transition from this into a more narrow base with a forward long step as they get skinny.

So when you see players doing this I dont think its a negative at all. These are the reasons they are doing it.

Of course some players transition more quockly than others.

I'm convinced a lot of people either subconsciously or knowingly go and talk crap about a player so that potentially the owners of that player will drop or be willing to trade that player, making it possible for the loud mouth to pick up said player...

ETN is the man!! not one of those backs that just runs into a wall on the line over and over, catches passes, fast as hell, gets almost all the work, will probably finish a top 5 back! especially if trevor stays as inconsistent as he has been

As an Etienne dynasty owner I love to hear him getting some recognition, and I have a whole lot of trust in his future being bright. My main concern right now is that I rarely see him -- and correct me if my memory is wrong -- make a really good play unless he bounces out. I feel like he does in fact run into a wall at the line pretty frequently.

As an Etienne dynasty owner I love to hear him getting some recognition, and I have a whole lot of trust in his future being bright. My main concern right now is that I rarely see him -- and correct me if my memory is wrong -- make a really good play unless he bounces out. I feel like he does in fact run into a wall at the line pretty frequently.
Then maybe they should stop running him into a well so frequently

Right. I don't want to tell the coaches that though, because a has-to-bounce-it-outside guy is generally not a 3-down back.

Dynasty .. traded Jordan Love for Etienne after week 1. Best move of the year!

Also Pederson didn’t draft him so he clearly isn’t his guy they’ll just let him languish because coaches hate talented players they didn’t draft or something.

Dynasty .. traded Jordan Love for Etienne after week 1. Best move of the year!
2021 off-season dealt Pittman for ETN.

No ragrets.

Right or wrong play calling and design will have a lot of plays that are just straight up the middle and many players including Derrick Henry will just run into a wall of defenders for minimal gains on these plays. There are a few players like Nick Chubb for example who are able to create something out of these plays by either breaking a tackle, just running hard and getting yards after contact, or actually finding an additional crease they can cut to after reaching the spot that has been bottled up. But no matter who the RB is there will be some 2 yard gains and nothing special about these plays.

The reasons coaches do this is to just keep the defense honest. These drive plays up the middle as similar to a boxer using their jab to set up the other guy. They get a feeling for the timing of the reaction to the jab and then are able to time a counter punch like a cross off of that reaction once they have done it enough. Thats what these plays are for. To set up the other types of runs in their play book. If they just bounced every play to the outside then the defense is always looking for that and not defending the middle that makes some of those plays possible.

About the only RB I can think of who didnt have a lot of these runs up the middle as part of their career is Barry Sanders who the coaches correctly would allow to try to create something out of nothing on every play. Instead of forcing the RB to play within the play design they more had their offense play to what Barry might do, even they could not predict what that might be as Barry would not know before the play began either. They would just try to block their man and stay on that block as long as they can instead of blocks being designed for the RB to hit a certain hole in the defense with a couple other options.

A lot of coaches would likely not be willing to change their scheme to accomodate a player like Sanders and instead force him to run the play the way it is designed. Because of how running such plays sets up the rest of their offense.

Notwithstanding his offense/situation, as a FF talent is his own right, Trav ETN is a STUD.

Last edited:
Jaguars HC Doug Pederson said Travis Etienne is “day-to-day” with a chest injury.

also added that Etienne will be present at practice on Thursday. The Jaguars face the Bengals on Monday night, giving Etienne some extra time to heal up before the Week 13 contest. Etienne was briefly knocked from last week’s win over the Texans but returned to finish with 86 total yards on 24 touches. He’ll likely be limited throughout the week, but his Week 13 status doesn’t seem to be in question.

Etienne is one of those guys you really want to bench for someone like Charbonnet because his YPC stink, the playcalling stinks, and you know you are not getting a TD out of him. But as soon as you do, he'll probably go off, so you pretty much have to leave him in there in a critical must win week.

Users who are viewing this thread