What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ty'son Williams, BAL (1 Viewer)

Appreciate you reviving this thread, but unless you are in a 30 team league... I think he is best placed on your waiver wire and never glancing at his name again.  What a flop.
To be fair, he was unlikely to ever take a snap this year until back to back injuries to Dobbins & Gus Edwards, and even Hill. 

I was actually pretty complimentary of Williams after week 1 on his raw skills. He’s quick, he runs with good burst & he didn’t look bad as a receiver on limited opportunity. 

I just think he needs a lot of seasoning. So it’s hard to call him a “flop” based on what should have been very low expectations for a very young player with virtually no experience who wasn’t expected to be on the team this year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a gut feeling he will reemerge at some point. I’m stashing him. This Raven run game needs a spark.

You never know what might happen after a bye week.

I just think he needs a lot of seasoning. So it’s hard to call him a “flop” based on what should have been very low expectations for a very young player with virtually no experience who wasn’t expected to be on the team this year. 
Fair assessment - "Flop" was probably poor verbiage.  I do think he caught a lot of buzz and looked good at times, but his pass protection almost got Lamar Jackson killed.  That is a good way to get fast tracked to the bench.  

I have him stashed in Dynasty, but nowhere else. 

Think he is worth a1 week stay to see if his role increases coming out of the bye. If it doesn't then move onto the next lottery ticket

Fair assessment - "Flop" was probably poor verbiage.  I do think he caught a lot of buzz and looked good at times, but his pass protection almost got Lamar Jackson killed.  That is a good way to get fast tracked to the bench.  

I have him stashed in Dynasty, but nowhere else. 
How many times do we have to go over the poor pass pro hoax?

His pass pro is actually pretty guy and the Lamar sack was not really on him.

How many times do we have to go over the poor pass pro hoax?

His pass pro is actually pretty guy and the Lamar sack was not really on him.
Then why is this guy riding the pines?
33 carries for 180 yards = 5.5 YPC (better than Murray or Freeman)
9 catches on 11 targets = 81.8% catch rate (better than Murray or Freeman)

He did lose one fumble back in week 2.  But come on now.  Even Belichick would've forgiven him by now.  If his pass protection is decent, and his numbers are clearly tops on the team, what gives?

Isn't this guy an afterthought now?  I'm seeing him being sent to the waiver wire, even in dynasty leagues.

He did lose one fumble back in week 2.  But come on now.  Even Belichick would've forgiven him by now.  If his pass protection is decent, and his numbers are clearly tops on the team, what gives?
That's what we've been speculating about for most of this thread. The reality is we may never know as the Ravens like to keep things in house, however it doesn't appear to be his pass pro. For starters, the Ravens don't ask their RBs to pass pro very often, and when they do they've had him do it more than the other RBs and he's received higher ratings at it than the others.

Maybe it's his attitude, work ethic, heck, maybe he hit on Harbaugh's daughter, who knows? It just doesn't appear to be pass pro based on what's actually happened on the field (despite the narrative).

https://russellstreetreport.com/2021/11/16/street-talk/tyson/

Best analysis I've found on the Ty'Son situation to date.

The article includes a direct quote from Harbaugh when he was asked about what Ty'Son needs to do to get more playing time.   The quote was framed as what he's looking for in the RB in general, but reading the tea leaves, this is why Williams has been riding the pine:

“If you’re a running back, you need to run hard,” Harbaugh said. “You need to break tackles, you need to get yards, you need to pass protect, you need to run the right route out of the backfield, catch the ball and get up field. If you’re in the rotation, special teams sure would help you.”

With the Bell release, I still think he makes some sense as a stash if you're scratching and clawing for help at the RB position.   From Harbaugh's perspective, I think it was logical to put your most explosive runner in bubble wrap and work through his shortcomings on the practice field.  Whether he's making enough progress to get back on the field, I don't know.   Supposedly they could've traded him for something if they thought he was a lost cause.

sushinsky, that sounds like an overall evaluation of a back rather than pointing to anything Williams isn't doing. Of course he values those things. That's standard judgment of a running back. 

I mean, thanks for posting, but that gives nobody any more insight than they already had if they're thinking critically. 

What gives is that the coach doesn't think he's very good.  That's pretty simple to understand.  See Trey Sermon.  They aren't looking for our opinion on what we think of a rb.  They have their own and they are going with it...

sushinsky, that sounds like an overall evaluation of a back rather than pointing to anything Williams isn't doing. Of course he values those things. That's standard judgment of a running back. 

I mean, thanks for posting, but that gives nobody any more insight than they already had if they're thinking critically. 
Did you open the link?   It includes a video of the quote.   A reporter asks Harbaugh directly about Ty'Son, and although the words that came out were framed as what Harbaugh is looking for in a RB in general, it clearly contains the answer as to why Ty'Son has been shelved, direct from the horse's mouth.  

There has been a lot of speculation about pass protection in this thread, but not running hard, running tentatively, maybe Harbaugh just not being a fan of Ty'Son's running style is also probably part of the answer.   That and special teams.   The article also includes a video (that was new to me) of Ty'Son tip-toeing through an open hole in the Detroit game that was pretty glaring, especially considering that was his last game of meaningful carries.

Did you open the link?   It includes a video of the quote.   A reporter asks Harbaugh directly about Ty'Son, and although the words that came out were framed as what Harbaugh is looking for in a RB in general, it clearly contains the answer as to why Ty'Son has been shelved, direct from the horse's mouth.  

There has been a lot of speculation about pass protection in this thread, but not running hard, running tentatively, maybe Harbaugh just not being a fan of Ty'Son's running style is also probably part of the answer.   That and special teams.   The article also includes a video (that was new to me) of Ty'Son tip-toeing through an open hole in the Detroit game that was pretty glaring, especially considering that was his last game of meaningful carries.
I should have opened the actual link. My apologies. I was going for the money quote you posted. You should make it known that the response is a direct response to a question about Williams. 

I still don't think that tells us enough other to draw a conclusion about any one thing; rather, it sounds like a general dissatisfaction with Williams's play in game situations. 

I should have opened the actual link. My apologies. I was going for the money quote you posted. You should make it known that the response is a direct response to a question about Williams. 

I still don't think that tells us enough other to draw a conclusion about any one thing; rather, it sounds like a general dissatisfaction with Williams's play in game situations. 

Multiple factors is what I take away from it.   Probably not the worst pass protecting RB of all-time, but definitely has come up short on a play or two that got Lamar drilled.  Couple of fumbles don't help his cause, even if they didn't lose possession.   Running tentatively through a hole he should have hit hard on one play, picking the wrong gap on another.  Not a contributor on special teams.

The abrupt response from Harbaugh actually makes me question whether Ty'Son is making enough progress behind the scenes to get another real chance in 2021.  The exchange comes across as a direct answer to why Ty'Son was riding pine in week 10, but that's probably reading too much into it.

Rooting for Ty'Son, he looks good to me but I've moved on

I will say, the telling factor to me is that he wasn't a starter in college.  Thats a tough leap to the NFL and all the concepts you have to master.

Weird they just don't have some packages for him to make use of him

But he came into the year a 4th stringer

Due to bye week/injuries I've dropped him in several dynasty leagues. I just don't see a path to relevance. His usage decline speaks volumes. 

If you are playing contrarian, this is the week to pounce. Everyone is convinced he's irrelevant and that he won't do anything for the rest of year. This is probably correct. However, you can't get an edge over an opponent if you think exactly the same as the hive mind. And if you miss, it's a cheap loss. If you win, its a huge win.

If guy comes out of nowhere and puts up a huge game and gets volume, everyone and their mom will be clamoring for his shares and praising a return to sanity as Harbaugh finally gave him the carries he deserves. News articles will tout that they believed in him all along and reddit will go crazy with 1000s of league winner hype posts.

But again, this is a lottery ticket among lottery tickets. But I think no one can predict the future so anything is possible and I don't hate going against the grain. Think the masses aren't as smart as they think they are.

Offered a 3rd and David Johnson for him in Dynasty three weeks back and was rejected.   I keep waiting for the guy to come back asking me for the 3rd.

I was trying to decide between Williams or Byran Edwards as my bench stash in redraft.   The Bell release had me leaning Williams, but Harbaugh's comment has me staying with Edwards. 

I was trying to decide between Williams or Byran Edwards as my bench stash in redraft.   
LOL, do you own the other half of my amulet? I also have both of these players on my dynasty roster. I'll raise you a Gabriel Davis, who I also had high hopes for. I do not need to worry about roster space though due to 26 player rosters. More likely to dump Williams next year though if I end up in a roster crunch, with Dobbins coming back. It's one thing to wager for him against retreads, but another entirely to think he'd be given more opportunity against another young prospect of that caliber.

Specific to this year, my crystal ball was way off. I thought for sure Baltimore was just seeing what they had in FA vets, but would ultimately go with production. That just has not happened, despite mediocre production from the vets. There's definitely something keeping Williams off the field.

If you are playing contrarian, this is the week to pounce. Everyone is convinced he's irrelevant and that he won't do anything for the rest of year. This is probably correct. However, you can't get an edge over an opponent if you think exactly the same as the hive mind. And if you miss, it's a cheap loss. If you win, its a huge win.

Good post.   I still think it's possible that Zombie Ty'Son could be a thing in the fantasy playoffs.   Things change fast.   Look how fast Rhamondre Stevenson went from irrelevant in most leagues to a nice bench stash.

Whereas I was thinking Ty'Son could resurface to the top of this backfield based solely on superior talent, I'm now thinking it will probably take an injury.   Without it, 2021 upside probably caps out as a guy back in the rotation, but can't rule out that he makes enough strides to earn another chance.  If he takes that opportunity and displays explosiveness that Harbaugh can't ignore then all bets are off.   It's probably a long shot at this point, but possible.

I said that I was deciding between Edwards and Williams.    However, I can actually drop Folk as my kicker tonight and then roster Ty'Son for the noon game just to make sure this isn't the week that everything changes.   The move probably results in me dropping Ty'Son at the end of the game and picking up a slightly inferior kicker in the 3pm games, but I always promised myself that I wouldn't fall in love with a kicker at the expense of missing out on a lotto ticket.

LOL, do you own the other half of my amulet?

Good news for you.   I think I have Bryan Edwards in  a perfect trap to produce.   I gave up on him in dynasty after the goose egg (kind of a rage drop, I will admit).   Now that he's poised to make me miserable for having the gall to give up on his 4 target games, I will at least have him in redraft so that he will be forced to help that WR needy team if he does indeed proceed to blow up.

McCrary looked decent in preseason.  

Denver swiped him off of the practice squad, but I guess he couldn’t stick in Denver….

I wonder why a guy like this gets 20 pages yet a guy like Trey Sermon hasn't even been talked about in months

You have the same situation that the coach doesn't see what's required to play and yet people keep talking this guy like he's the next great steal.  Only one of them was a highly rate prospect.  The other guy has mostly been a scrub.  

I wonder why a guy like this gets 20 pages yet a guy like Trey Sermon hasn't even been talked about in months

You have the same situation that the coach doesn't see what's required to play and yet people keep talking this guy like he's the next great steal.  Only one of them was a highly rate prospect.  The other guy has mostly been a scrub.  
The RB talent on Baltimore in front of Ty’son “seems” to be weaker than the talent in front of Sermon on SF IMHO. 
🤷🏼‍♂️

The RB talent on Baltimore in front of Ty’son “seems” to be weaker than the talent in front of Sermon on SF IMHO. 
🤷🏼‍♂️
Mitchell looks like the real deal.  Wilson looks like a good power back.  Not impressed with Hasty - Sermon should be getting more carries than him….

The run game in SF is working well.

the Run game, outside of Lamar, in Baltimore is doing poorly.  When it’s not working, the question always is “who else do they got?”

The run game in SF is working well.

the Run game, outside of Lamar, in Baltimore is doing poorly.  When it’s not working, the question always is “who else do they got?”
That's an interesting perspective. 

What I mostly see is the 49ers are committed to a rb and a run game.  RBs get over 20 carries per game with the 49ers.

The ravens are not that team.  Freeman average 6.9 ypc a couple of weeks ago yet they really limited his carries and Lamar ended up with 21.  I'm not sure that's on the rb talent.

I think the 49ers are going to run MItchell into the ground.  I don't think he is very talented though.

Also people love to hype the unheralded player vs. a player like Sermon who is drafted high. We know what's holding back Sermon, competition and Shanahanigans. However for a guy like Williams we don't see how he does in practice, all we see is the work on the field and apparently some of us have missed that also. By all accounts from two coaches (Roman and Harbaugh) who has struck gold with their other RBs, Williams isn't doing the things in practice he needs to do and is making mistakes.

I think the 49ers are going to run MItchell into the ground.  I don't think he is very talented though.
He's isn't but he runs hard/forward with power in a zone scheme. That's what Shanahan wants in an RB; to him they are entirely replaceable. One gets hurt, go to another.

Also people love to hype the unheralded player vs. a player like Sermon who is drafted high. We know what's holding back Sermon, competition and Shanahanigans. However for a guy like Williams we don't see how he does in practice, all we see is the work on the field and apparently some of us have missed that also. By all accounts from two coaches (Roman and Harbaugh) who has struck gold with their other RBs, Williams isn't doing the things in practice he needs to do and is making mistakes.

He's isn't but he runs hard/forward with power in a zone scheme. That's what Shanahan wants in an RB; to him they are entirely replaceable. One gets hurt, go to another.
Elijah also has speed, sub 4.4 at his pro-day. He broke a long run in his first game and looked close to breaking a long run on a couple of other occasions. 

Seems to me Sermon has similar problems as Williams. He's not figuring out what he needs to do to get on the field and that makes him a liability. A bigger one than Williams ATM.

Don't see why that qualifies as 'Shanahangins' at this point.

Seems to me Sermon has similar problems as Williams. He's not figuring out what he needs to do to get on the field and that makes him a liability. A bigger one than Williams ATM.

Don't see why that qualifies as 'Shanahangins' at this point.

People keep saying that but Shanahan really is pretty straight forward about the rbs and always has been.  If Mostert is healthy he goes.  After that it's mostly who is running the best.  There have been so many injuries over the last couple of years so so many people have gotten carries I think on paper it looks screwy but really isn't.  

I really have a feeling Tyson is going to get a shot today. A Ravens beat writer who usually doesn't give his opinion thinks Ravens rbs look slow and they need to give him a chance. Bell being cut could mean Murray is completely back but it could also mean they want to give Williams more work. I think he's worth a end of the bench spot if you have one. If he's still worthless today on to the next stash. I may drop Murray for him this week as I doubt he would ever see my line up with my current backs.

Ty'Son Williams: Inks with Colts(RotoWire)

Williams signed with the Colts on Tuesday, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports. Analysis: Williams had his one-year contract tender withdrawn by the Ravens on May 10, but has found a new home with the Colts. Williams will face stiff competition to make the squad with the one-two combo of Jonathan Taylor and Nyheim Hines returning, along with last years No. 3 option Deon Jackson. The Colts also signed Phillip Lindsay last Tuesday, who will be looking to rebound from a disappointing 2021 campaign. Last season Williams appeared in 13 contests, rushing 35 times for 185 yards and a touchdown, while catching nine of 12 targets for 84 yards.

He's got another UDFA named Price to compete with. 

The Colts are going to run the ball this year and are busy filling out their RB room with the best guys possible, it seems. Smart move on their part. 

He's Baaaack! Signed by Arizona.

To the practice squad.

If he gets called up Saturday, probably unrelated to Conner. Eno & D Williams both play a 10-15 ST snaps /g. Either wanna keep Benjamin fresh or think Darrell won’t be active.

Ty’son just worked out for the Packers. Probably chase the dream a few more years & then go coach or be a gym teacher.

Fringe UDFA beats the hell out of anything else you can land your first couple years out of college. Girl from my church is cousins with Josh Fergusson (Colts & a couple other teams.) He banked $800K his first two years and made another $300K the next two being a Practice Squad & call ups dream chaser with three teams. Not bad, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread