What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Restaurants have gotten so expensive……also recycling and phone apps (3 Viewers)

$80 for a sack of onions????? C'mon....is that true?
50 # of yellow onions= about $32
red= about $ 21

So either this guy is full of crap or he's in San Francisco and everything there is 2.5x what the rest of us pay?

He can charge $22 for a burrito because in comparison, everywhere else in the country sells a drastically inferior product. Something I definitely took for granted when I lived there.
Did you ever ask them to make the burrito an inch longer so you could share it with someone?

Asking for a friend named Score... oh, n/m.

I tend to tip in the 30% - 40% range more often that not. Why? To make up for the cheap wads out there tipping 0 - 15%,

The way I see it is on a $100 tab, and extra $10 - $20 is not that big of a deal. But it may be to the person who just served me.
I can't get behind this Chief.

There are families...plenty of families out there taking their kids out to eat and they are on a very tight budget. And if they tip 15% they are doing what they can within their budget.
To me, if you can't afford to go out and that means accounting for tipping, then you don't go out. If your budget is so tight that 20% tip threatens it then you should not be going out. When I was kid, we only went out to eat 3-4x a year and it was a special occasion only.
Yer crazy. Really are you kidding me?

If someone budgets 15% more for a tip they absolutely can and should enjoy a meal out.

What the?????
if 20% makes it break the budget, then yes you shouldn't be going out to eat.
You sir are in a different galaxy of reality.

And I am not speaking for myself.....I could tip whatever I want and it would not break me.

I guess 95% of country should stay home and only the top 5% can afford to go out an eat according to your life advice.

Ok man. You keep preaching that.
I live in a different reality? You're intimating that for many families 15% is in the budget but 20% isn't. That's 5 bucks on a 100 tab. If 5 dollars breaks your budget then you clearly should not be going out to a sit down restaurant.

Agreed. If that 5% is hurting you financially, it's stupid to eat out. Save your money and cook at home.
I think people are confusing being smart with money vs. 5% hurting you financially.

If you can't afford 5% either way for dining out often then yes, financially you should be considering eating out less.

But if you're well off it's probably because you're good with money which means you consider 5% in all of your spending, not just tipping.

If you're well off and don't tip at least 20%, I just consider you cheap. Has little to do with being good with money :shrug:

Full circle back to what Totem said then:

I think it's ridiculous that a 15% tip (service fee) is now supposedly frowned upon.
I tend to agree.
It’s not frowned upon. And I would agree if it were. And if one has a lot of money, it’s a bit lame to not be generous with it. IMHO.
It seems there is an argument here whether 15% or 20% is the standard. And the range from the standard for good versus poor service. And that's an argument worth having I suppose. Does it matter if you're in a state that has full minimum wages for servers versus a state that can and does pay the federal minimums where employees rely more heavily on tips? For example.

Generosity is a different thing all together. Do you pay more than you have to in taxes because you're generous, do you write out the check to the power company for more that what is shown on the bill? If you have a relationship with the server, or other intimate knowledge of their financial situation then sure, be generous. I don't understand the call for generosity for strangers providing a service.

I tend to tip in the 30% - 40% range more often that not. Why? To make up for the cheap wads out there tipping 0 - 15%,

The way I see it is on a $100 tab, and extra $10 - $20 is not that big of a deal. But it may be to the person who just served me.

There are families...plenty of families out there taking their kids out to eat and they are on a very tight budget. And if they tip 15% they are doing what they can within their budget.

Me? If I get great service 20-25% no questions asked. But can afford that. Most people....can't. They can afford 15% for someone who did their job.

I think the entire tipping culture is completely out of control and we have another thread for that.

But think about a family of 4 eating at say a Houstons or Alexanders and they get a bill of $200 and that's no alcohol, no deserts no appetizers and drinking tap water with lemon.

Another $25 is heavy. And that is 15% and that is a damn good tip for taking an order, keeping waters filled and getting the food out. Imagine that server serving 15 tables on a shift $375 in tips times 5 days a week not working doubles. $7500 a month before tax. Houstons and Alexanders are always packed....and expensive as far as dining. Average plate is between $22-$60 depending on what you get not including apps, drinks, desert etc.

That's not being a cheap wad. That's living within your means and taking your family out for a nice meal once in a while.

It has gotten very expensive to eat out for families. Like really expensive.

Now go to a Texas Roadhouse.....early dine is now $11.99 times 4 plus apps and drinks you're looking at 70-80 bucks? You drop down another $12 for a 15% tip....that's not being cheap. Thats doing your part. And if that server kicks all kinds of *** push it up to 15/16 bucks.....they turn over a ton of tables in that place. Servers do well there.

It's all relative.

Local breakfast joint.....I leave more on smaller tickets because let's be real the tips suck at breakfast joints.

Hey if want to leave 30-40% god bless you. It's a free country....and I have left 30% for exceptional service above and beyond the normal scope.

15-20% you are absolutely doing your part. Under 15% the service has to be garbage for that to happen with me.
If it’s not in the budget, don’t go to Houston’s or anywhere else that breaks the bank. $25 on $200 isn’t 15%.

And that server at Houston’s isn’t getting a bunch of zero maintenance $200+ tables. They’ll get just as many or more 1app/1entree deuces at $40-$60. They’re also most likely not getting 15 tables, maybe 10-12. Servers at higher end places usually have smaller stations. Usually 5 or less tables. 3+ turns is rare at higher price points.
This is where efficiency helps - dine rapidly, and everyone wins!

Me? If I get great service 20-25% no questions asked. But can afford that. Most people....can't. They can afford 15% for someone who did their job.

I think the entire tipping culture is completely out of control and we have another thread for that.

But think about a family of 4 eating at say a Houstons or Alexanders and they get a bill of $200 and that's no alcohol, no deserts no appetizers and drinking tap water with lemon.

Another $25 is heavy. And that is 15% and that is a damn good tip for taking an order, keeping waters filled and getting the food out. Imagine that server serving 15 tables on a shift $375 in tips times 5 days a week not working doubles. $7500 a month before tax. Houstons and Alexanders are always packed....and expensive as far as dining. Average plate is between $22-$60 depending on what you get not including apps, drinks, desert etc.

That's not being a cheap wad. That's living within your means and taking your family out for a nice meal once in a while.

Now go to a Texas Roadhouse.....early dine is now $11.99 times 4 plus apps and drinks you're looking at 70-80 bucks? You drop down another $12 for a 15% tip....that's not being cheap. Thats doing your part. And if that server kicks all kinds of *** push it up to 15/16 bucks.....they turn over a ton of tables in that place. Servers do well there.

It's all relative.

Local breakfast joint.....I leave more on smaller tickets because let's be real the tips suck at breakfast joints.

Hey if want to leave 30-40% god bless you. It's a free country....and I have left 30% for exceptional service above and beyond the normal scope.

15-20% you are absolutely doing your part. Under 15% the service has to be garbage for that to happen with me.
If it’s not in the budget, don’t go to Houston’s or anywhere else that breaks the bank. $25 on $200 isn’t 15%.

And that server at Houston’s isn’t getting a bunch of zero maintenance $200+ tables. They’ll get just as many or more 1app/1entree deuces at $40-$60. They’re also most likely not getting 15 tables, maybe 10-12. Servers at higher end places usually have smaller stations. Usually 5 or less tables. 3+ turns is rare at higher price points.
$30 my bad.

Look you all can sit here and play semantics.....there are 1000's of people going to Houston's and tipping 15%.....whether you like it or not.

There are no financial rules for people to take their family out for a nice dinner for a birthday or special occasion and they tip 15%

Again.....it's your opinion not some fact that people who tip 15 or even 20% can't afford to eat out

95% of people who eat out tip 15-20% on average.

This is not some revelation.
How do you know this?

It's all relative.

$30 my bad.

Look you all can sit here and play semantics.....there are 1000's of people going to Houston's and tipping 15%.....whether you like it or not.

There are no financial rules for people to take their family out for a nice dinner for a birthday or special occasion and they tip 15%

Again.....it's your opinion not some fact that people who tip 15 or even 20% can't afford to eat out

How do you know this?
Here is the breakdown from a Pew Research poll last August.
0% - 2 percent
Less than 15% - 18 percent
15% - 37 percent
18% - 12 percent
20% - 22 percent
Greater than 20% - 2 percent
Other - 7 percent

So written another way is 20 percent tip less than 15%. 78 percent between 15% and 20%. And 2 percent above 20%

It's all relative.

$30 my bad.

How do you know this?
0% - 2 percent
15% - 37 percent
18% - 12 percent
20% - 22 percent
Other - 7 percent

what is other? leaving a poem or a drawing?

Going here tonight, $300+ potential for the 2 of us

More like $400. It was good but that’s like a weeks worth of groceries

We each had a cocktail downstairs before dinner that was like $30+ tip. They had a $25 sazerac on the cocktail list that’s just getting ridiculous

We each opted for the 4 course (the 6 course had a raw seafood course and I think like an extra pasta course or something). With the 4 course we could each get what we wabted

She got
Buratta
Bucatini
Halibut
Some sort of Italian biscuit donut
1 cocktail
Glass of wine

I got
Octopus
Squid ink pasta with crab and shrimp
Orata (whole fish…eyeballs were :chefskiss:)
Panna cotta
2 cocktails

We also the parsnips appetizer

I liked all my food, she was a little underwhelmed (she’s just not a big fine dining fan in general). Left quite full

I would certainly go back , but at $300 and another 25% tip that’s quite an expensive night
Wife and I did a cocktail and 2 apps (tuna ceviche and truffle fries) at the new place in Plymouth that is really trying to do a Detroit style place. It was $75 plus tip. The drinks were excellent and the food was both delicious and enough to fill us both. The fries were actually pretty cool- thickcut sidewinders. Not sure I had ever had those, certainly not with truffle. There was so much potato there that combined with the tuna made for a good meal for 2. If we had then ordered off the entre menu and another round of drinks, dessert it would have probably been just short of 300 plus tip but of course money is no object. I am a public school teacher.
What new place is this? The Ledger?

THE DEBT
Flight of Wagyu Beef • Japanese A5 • American • Australian

Probably like 3 strips of steak 😂

To me, if you can't afford to go out and that means accounting for tipping, then you don't go out. If your budget is so tight that 20% tip threatens it then you should not be going out. When I was kid, we only went out to eat 3-4x a year and it was a special occasion only.
Yer crazy. Really are you kidding me?

If someone budgets 15% more for a tip they absolutely can and should enjoy a meal out.

What the?????
if 20% makes it break the budget, then yes you shouldn't be going out to eat.
You sir are in a different galaxy of reality.

And I am not speaking for myself.....I could tip whatever I want and it would not break me.

I guess 95% of country should stay home and only the top 5% can afford to go out an eat according to your life advice.

Ok man. You keep preaching that.
I live in a different reality? You're intimating that for many families 15% is in the budget but 20% isn't. That's 5 bucks on a 100 tab. If 5 dollars breaks your budget then you clearly should not be going out to a sit down restaurant.

Agreed. If that 5% is hurting you financially, it's stupid to eat out. Save your money and cook at home.
I think people are confusing being smart with money vs. 5% hurting you financially.

If you can't afford 5% either way for dining out often then yes, financially you should be considering eating out less.

But if you're well off it's probably because you're good with money which means you consider 5% in all of your spending, not just tipping.

If you're well off and don't tip at least 20%, I just consider you cheap. Has little to do with being good with money :shrug:

Full circle back to what Totem said then:

I think it's ridiculous that a 15% tip (service fee) is now supposedly frowned upon.
I tend to agree.

20% has been the norm since the early 2000s.
How is that the norm when only 24 percent of people today tip 20% or more?

It's all relative.

$30 my bad.

How do you know this?
0% - 2 percent
15% - 37 percent
18% - 12 percent
20% - 22 percent
Other - 7 percent

The numbers not specifically reported there, 16, 17 or 19%. A poem would count as 0%

It's all relative.

$30 my bad.

How do you know this?
0% - 2 percent
15% - 37 percent
18% - 12 percent
20% - 22 percent
Other - 7 percent

The numbers not specifically reported there, 16, 17 or 19%. A poem would count as 0%
ok i see now, seems like kinda a dumb way to do the poll

0% - 2 percent
15% - 37 percent
18% - 12 percent
20% - 22 percent
Other - 7 percent
Only way people are tipping 18% is when the receipt gives you that option. That option is available way less than 12 percent of places I have ever been too. Nobody is doing that math otherwise

We each had a cocktail downstairs before dinner that was like $30+ tip. They had a $25 sazerac on the cocktail list that’s just getting ridiculous

We each opted for the 4 course (the 6 course had a raw seafood course and I think like an extra pasta course or something). With the 4 course we could each get what we wabted

She got
Buratta
Bucatini
Halibut
1 cocktail
Glass of wine

I got
Octopus
Panna cotta
2 cocktails

I liked all my food, she was a little underwhelmed (she’s just not a big fine dining fan in general). Left quite full

I would certainly go back , but at $300 and another 25% tip that’s quite an expensive night
Wife and I did a cocktail and 2 apps (tuna ceviche and truffle fries) at the new place in Plymouth that is really trying to do a Detroit style place. It was $75 plus tip. The drinks were excellent and the food was both delicious and enough to fill us both. The fries were actually pretty cool- thickcut sidewinders. Not sure I had ever had those, certainly not with truffle. There was so much potato there that combined with the tuna made for a good meal for 2. If we had then ordered off the entre menu and another round of drinks, dessert it would have probably been just short of 300 plus tip but of course money is no object. I am a public school teacher.

THE DEBT

That’s exactly what I’d expect. You thinking three cows?

i

It's all relative.

$30 my bad.

How do you know this?
0% - 2 percent
15% - 37 percent
18% - 12 percent
20% - 22 percent
Other - 7 percent

ok i see now, seems like kinda a dumb way to do the poll
I'm guessing the poll question just asked how much and that's how they decided to report it in the article.

She got
Buratta
Bucatini
Halibut
1 cocktail
Glass of wine

I got
Octopus
Panna cotta
2 cocktails

THE DEBT

I’d be willing to bet it’s less than 12oz of beef

Be lucky if @Scoresman even gets a bite

America is a big place. I can't speak for small towns but In NYC and most big cities, 20% is the norm.
Does it make a difference on the west coast where service people get paid the states minimum wage, plus tips, instead of tipping wages?
If you are making minimum wage in certain parts of CA at 16 bucks an hour it's probably not much different than the $2.75 in parts of Arkansas

0% - 2 percent
15% - 37 percent
18% - 12 percent
20% - 22 percent
Other - 7 percent
Only way people are tipping 18% is when the receipt gives you that option. That option is available way less than 12 percent of places I have ever been too. Nobody is doing that math otherwise
Not everyone is paying on a tablet. 15 and 20% are easy to figure out. The ones that hit the in between numbers are usually rounding up a bit from 15% or rounding down a bit from 20% based on service.

She got
Buratta
Bucatini
Halibut
1 cocktail
Glass of wine

I got
Octopus
Panna cotta
2 cocktails

THE DEBT

We do Japanese A5 at $50/oz, four ounce minimum. The American and Australian ones aren’t that much more than prime. I’d guess 6 strips at around 3 ounces each. If @Scoresman is quick, he might get 2 bites. :lmao:

America is a big place. I can't speak for small towns but In NYC and most big cities, 20% is the norm.
Does it make a difference on the west coast where service people get paid the states minimum wage, plus tips, instead of tipping wages?
I think New York is full minimum wage also. And no

She got
Buratta
Bucatini
Halibut
1 cocktail
Glass of wine

I got
Octopus
Panna cotta
2 cocktails

THE DEBT

We do Japanese A5 at $50/oz, four ounce minimum. The American and Australian ones aren’t that much more than prime. I’d guess 6 strips at around 3 ounces each. If @Scoresman is quick, he might get 2 bites. :lmao:
WHAT IF ITS A TABLE OF 7?

:rant::rant:

She got
Buratta
Bucatini
Halibut
1 cocktail
Glass of wine

I got
Octopus
Panna cotta
2 cocktails

THE DEBT

Get two

She got
Buratta
Bucatini
Halibut
1 cocktail
Glass of wine

I got
Octopus
Panna cotta
2 cocktails

THE DEBT

Get two
Ok but I’m not tipping on the extra one.

She got
Buratta
Bucatini
Halibut
1 cocktail
Glass of wine

I got
Octopus
Panna cotta
2 cocktails

THE DEBT

Get two
Ok but I’m not tipping on the extra one.
Poor server

I can tell you in south florida....you do the bare minimum 15% you give good service 20% you're exceptional 30%

I noticed a lot of restaurants in Miami automatically apply a 20% tip and you can add on from there. Another reason I say 20% is fairly standard.

She got
Buratta
Bucatini
Halibut
1 cocktail
Glass of wine

I got
Octopus
Panna cotta
2 cocktails

THE DEBT

I’d be willing to bet it’s less than 12oz of beef

Be lucky if @Scoresman even gets a bite
Considering Wagyu is up to $50/oz, that definitely wouldn’t surprise me.

ETA what @DA RAIDERS said. I haven’t eaten beef in a couple decades, and never even tried Wagyu, but even I know it’s expensive af.

Customers have been much more demanding since Covid.
How so?
When things started to open up again, there were severe labor and supply chain issues in retail. Now it’s a battle with inflation/prices.
Understood. But how has that tangibly changed the customer’s behavior?
The customer doesn’t want to hear the excuses, or don’t understand why their prices go up.
So they complain when things take longer and/or cost more? To whom?
To anyone they deal with. Why take it out on a cashier or a waitress?
It is an every night thing for my daughter. The host sat the person too slowly--take it out on the server. The food is under cooked=server's fault. My daughter's location is 2-3 miles from a fertilizer distributor and when the wind gets a certain direction, you can smell that place for miles---yep, that's my daughter's fault too according to some reviews.

But I think it is just the nature of customer service in general. My daughter makes money because she tries. Most of her co-workers do not because they do not care and the job just pays for their rent, alcohol and weed use. "Waiting" is a movie from 2005 with a young Ryan Reynolds and a loaded cast, but it really sums up the restaurant industry and is actually really funny.
No doubt the waitstaff gets the most abuse unless they sit at the bar, then the bartenders do.
Not really. And they can always placate them with free booze
I guess it depends how the bar is laid out. Our bar is by the door and the bar handles the to-go’s also. Most of the patrons walk past us to their table.

I can tell you in south florida....you do the bare minimum 15% you give good service 20% you're exceptional 30%

I noticed a lot of restaurants in Miami automatically apply a 20% tip and you can add on from there. Another reason I say 20% is fairly standard.
not based on the poll. not everyone lives in Miami.

If you are making minimum wage in certain parts of CA at 16 bucks an hour it's probably not much different than the $2.75 in parts of Arkansas
COLA isn't 6x in CA than it is in AR. More like 2x.

You know there are ways to find out info like that instantly so you're not guessing, right?

COLA isn't 6x in CA than it is in AR. More like 2x.

You know there are ways to find out info like that instantly so you're not guessing, right?J
Just having a little fun friend.

He does make a pretty good burger though.
Hit up Best Friend if you can. Worth it
Went there last trip. I remember it being excellent.

Dinner today was Mother Wolf. Might have been the single best pasta dish I’ve ever had in a restaurant. Excellent short rib ragu and the pasta was fresh but had the Al dente bite of dry pasta.

$149 all in for two people. 2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 2 cocktails and shared dessert. Not bad.

And another :thumbup: for our local McCallister's Deli. Four entree's with 3 waters and one large sweet tea, $60 including tip. This thread has made me really focus on food bills when we eat out which has dropped off to next to never thanks to food prices.

when we eat out which has dropped off to next to never thanks to food prices.
Same

We have a local hole in the wall bar that has maybe 10 tables that has really good sandwiches and meals. It’s one of the few places we go to anymore. Idk how they keep their prices so low honestly

I want to mention again to use the Apps available. Some of the deals are pretty crazy. We don’t go to Wendy’s often but in the middle of HS sports and both working, it happens. Their rewards go up pretty quickly so for lunch this week (WFH), I got my wife a double (bun tossed, turned into salad) and I got a free double/special burger. $2.14 with tax. You could technically get a double with cheese for $2 and pay for nothing else.

The other nice part about the apps is paying ahead of time, no fumbling with card or cash. Nice and easy.

I’ve definitely been way more conscious of what we spend and eating out less. Picking up meals used to be reasonable so we did that way more often with sports but we’ve cut that way down.

This is all spot on - at some point it will come crashing down. The average Joe just can't keep this going forever.
Will it though? Or is pricing just finally getting to where it needs to be to pay somebody a living wage that works in the food service industry? If you want to bump minimum wage for these jobs to offer something respectable, the cost of product has to rise to cover that. I think we are seeing a leveling that may dip some but I wouldn't anticipate it crashing any time soon.

When did restaurant jobs and fast food jobs become a career or a way to raise a family?

Those jobs should be for kids, elderly, and people looking to work part time.
I was watching the news yesterday and they were interviewing someone that owned 7 McDonald's franchise in California. With the new $20 minimum wage for fast food workers, she will be closing 4 of those locations. Sad, but an economic reality.

We used to go out for "early dining" before COVID at lots of restaurants to save a little money. Since then, most in our area have stopped this and only have a regular menu. Some places still have a "bar" menu that is reasonable. We are not big drinkers but not big eaters either, so this works sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread