What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mallett (5 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

The Boston Globe's Ben Volin suspects the Patriots will net a middle-round pick in the potential Ryan Mallett-to-Houston trade.
Multiple reporters have since confirmed CSN New England's story, that the Pats and Texans are indeed discussing a Mallett deal. Volin believes a Mallett trade would not stop Houston from drafting an early-round signal caller, and it would also put New England in the market for a backup quarterback. There are whispers the Patriots are eyeing Mike Glennon in a trade with Tampa Bay.

Related: Texans

Source: Ben Volin on Twitter

It's really odd to wait this long to do this. Did they just decide yesterday that they don't like any of these QB's or something?

Or this came out of NE again and is Bill feeding stuff to the press like he has every year for Mallett. Each year he is about to be traded and it never materializes because Bill is abusing the media.

Bring in Mallett and than he has an okay season and you overpay him or lose him. I think better off drafting a QB and still going with Fitzpatrick

He's been a draft day trade rumor for 3 yrs. I'm not falling for it this time. having said that, I just offered a low 3rd for him in a QB flex league and got turned down....ha ha.

With rookie QBs drafted, Hoyer and Cassell may have just become available for the right price.

Houston Texans interested in trade for Ryan MallettBy Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

It's a tradition unlike any other: Bill Belichick making a trade during the draft. This year, the New England Patriots coach could deal away his backup quarterback to his old friend Bill O'Brien.

The Texans have a "lot of interest" in Patriots quarterback Ryan Mallett, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport confirmed Thursday on NFL Network's "2014 NFL Draft Kickoff." CSN New England's Tom Curran previously mentioned a potential trade of Mallett-to-Houston, although he cautioned that there were conflicting sources in the story. Curran's source says a third-round pick would go to New England in the deal. (Our guess: It would be a 2015 pick.)

The Texans drafted Jadeveon Clowney with the No. 1 overall pick Thursday, and remain in dire need of a promising young quarterback.

O'Brien, the new Texans coach, was Mallett's offensive coordinator during his rookie season in New England. Mallett has been mentioned in potential trade talks ever since -- despite mediocre preseason results.

The Texans are expected to add at least one quarterback this week, and Rapoport said on NFL Network that he would not be surprised if Mallett was the guy. That would create a scenario where Mallett and Ryan Fitzpatrick would battle for the starting job.

Mallett would basically be the Texans' way of adding options at quarterback without commiting too much. The Texans could entertain a short-term contract extension for Mallett and then get back in the market for a rookie quarterback at this time next year.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Ed Werder stated on SportsCenter Friday that he is "told" Ryan Mallett is "not available" for trade.
The Texans were rumored to be discussing a trade for Mallett with the Patriots on Thursday. So far, nothing has happened on that front, and the buzz has died down. These things tend to be fluid, of course, so we're not ruling out a Mallett trade to Houston, where new coach Bill O'Brien has a history with Mallett from New England, and currently has a pretty glaring quarterback need.

Rotoworld:

GM Rick Smith claims the Texans have not had "any conversations" with the Patriots regarding Ryan Mallett.
We're just assuming this is a blatant lie, but Mallett-to-Houston no longer appears imminent. ESPN's Ed Werder reported Friday that Mallett is "not available." We're guessing he'll become available if the Texans are willing to meet the Patriots' asking price.

Source: Tania Ganguli on Twitter

Ryan Mallett trade to Houston Texans still possibleBy Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

The Houston Texans didn't address their quarterback deficiency until they selected developmental project Tom Savage at the tail end of the fourth round in the 2014 NFL Draft.

New coach Bill O'Brien essentially has four clipboard-holders on his quarterback depth chart.

Does that mean the Texans will end up rekindling talks with the Patriots regarding former O'Brien pupil Ryan Mallett?

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport told Dan Hellie on "NFL Total Access" on Monday that there is still "mutual interest" in a Mallett trade.

"From what I understand, there is still a chance (for a trade)," Rapoport said on NFL Network, adding that May 27 is the key date because that's when the Patriots take the field for organized team activities.

If trade talks are still extant later this month, it wouldn't make sense for the Patriots to risk an injury to Mallett by allowing him to join teammates in practices.

This is a match we're pulling for, if only to see if O'Brien can set an unofficial record for most No. 2 quarterbacks on one roster.

The "Around The League Podcast" wrapped up the draft by picking our winners and losers.

I think the possible hou trade is interesting just because o'brien's about the only one outside new england who has some kind of idea of the guy's value, having coached him for a year.

didn't we get a 2nd for cassell......?

and I think the internet pundits felt we got ripped off on that one.

edit: let me also add a hypothetical

let's say you're belichick, and mallet has looked like aaron rodgers in practice the last couple years -- what do you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a match we're pulling for, if only to see if O'Brien can set an unofficial record for most No. 2 quarterbacks on one roster.
As a Mallett owner in two leagues I'm tired of waiting for this to happen.

I think the possible hou trade is interesting just because o'brien's about the only one outside new england who has some kind of idea of the guy's value, having coached him for a year.

let's say you're belichick, and mallet has looked like aaron rodgers in practice the last couple years -- what do you do?
Draft Jimmy Garrappolo?

Draft Jimmy Garrappolo?
Too funny.

IMO, if Mallet looked like Aaron Rodgers, the Pats would not have been trying to trade him, they would have already extended him, and they would not have drafted Garappolo, If anything, BB might have started to look to trade Brady for a king's ransom.

IMO, if Mallet looked like Aaron Rodgers, the Pats would not have been trying to trade him, they would have already extended him, and they would not have drafted Garappolo, If anything, BB might have started to look to trade Brady for a king's ransom.
Brady to the Texans for Clowney ? just kidding.

The other thing is Mallet's contract is ending this year so basically you either deal him now for something or you let Jimmy G. sit tight as your #3 for a year and than let Mallet walk for nothing after this year...I think the big thing now is are you comfortable with the rookie as your #2 this season...

The other thing is Mallet's contract is ending this year so basically you either deal him now for something or you let Jimmy G. sit tight as your #3 for a year and than let Mallet walk for nothing after this year...I think the big thing now is are you comfortable with the rookie as your #2 this season...
Assuming the Pats let Mallett walk after this season and he signs at least a relatively decent deal elsewhere, the Pats would get "credit" for his new contract in the compensatory pick equation. That's a bit hard to valuate at this stage, and the payoff would be the year after that. So they might get something for him even if he walks, but that is so far away that it's not a huge ROI.

If a reporter writes something BB doesn't like, he waits til the offseason then floats this Mallett trade story to them and chuckles when they don't do it.

Assuming the Pats let Mallett walk after this season and he signs at least a relatively decent deal elsewhere, the Pats would get "credit" for his new contract in the compensatory pick equation. That's a bit hard to valuate at this stage, and the payoff would be the year after that. So they might get something for him even if he walks, but that is so far away that it's not a huge ROI.
... and he'd have to get signed to a massive contract, play like a pro-bowler, and have the Patriots not sign anyone in FA to net them a pick worth anything. The compensatory system is a total crapshoot.

Odd that owners are thinking of cutting Mallet just as his value is about to jump. Didn't you expect him to sit behind Brady for a while, which would allow him to both mature to be a pro - the huge knock on him coming out - and to learn behind one of the great QBs in a dynamic and complex offensive system?

The trade with HOU could still happen, and if not he'll be looking at next offseason for some team that wants a potential starting QB without having to burn a high draft pick to get him.

Odd that owners are thinking of cutting Mallet just as his value is about to jump. Didn't you expect him to sit behind Brady for a while, which would allow him to both mature to be a pro - the huge knock on him coming out - and to learn behind one of the great QBs in a dynamic and complex offensive system?

The trade with HOU could still happen, and if not he'll be looking at next offseason for some team that wants a potential starting QB without having to burn a high draft pick to get him.
rookie drafts are right now, roster space is valuable, hell at this point id rather have a bortles or Carr or whomever

rookie drafts are right now, roster space is valuable, hell at this point id rather have a bortles or Carr or whomever
Curious since you've got him rostered, based on talent and ability alone and ignoring the behavior issues, where would you rank Mallet as a rookie in this year's QB class?

... and he'd have to get signed to a massive contract, play like a pro-bowler, and have the Patriots not sign anyone in FA to net them a pick worth anything. The compensatory system is a total crapshoot.
The playing like a Pro Bowler is an urban myth, as historically the only really important piece to the formula is the average contract value. If a team fashioned Mallett as a starting QB and paid him even low end QB1 money, it would still be enough to slot him in a 4th or 5th round compensatory pick range. But since the system is based on net gains and losses when it comes to free agents, it is hard to accurately predict how things will play out. My point was they could still get something out of him even if he walks.

Draft Jimmy Garrappolo?
:lol:

The playing like a Pro Bowler is an urban myth, as historically the only really important piece to the formula is the average contract value. If a team fashioned Mallett as a starting QB and paid him even low end QB1 money, it would still be enough to slot him in a 4th or 5th round compensatory pick range. But since the system is based on net gains and losses when it comes to free agents, it is hard to accurately predict how things will play out. My point was they could still get something out of him even if he walks.
Agreed completely -- I just get tired of people assuming they'll get a 3rd or 4th rounder because he's a QB. It's the net gains and losses, plus his contract. If he doesn't play a snap in NE, he's not going to get paid like a low-end QB1, even if some team DOES sign him to be their starting QB.

I think the assumption, even for the most pessimistic, is that Mallet is a competent backup, that knows the offense, and could go .500 if Brady went down for a few weeks. At least.

If so, it's not worth a 3rd round pick to trade him. Even if he's gone after this year. Pats are in their window now, not getting compensation for Mallet isn't ideal, but not having a solid backup QB in a year you have Super Bowl plans, for the sake of a 3rd round pick, is just dumb.

I think the Pats have zero plans to trade him.

Rotoworld:

The Houston Chronicle reports the Texans "will not be trading for" Patriots QB Ryan Mallett.
This comes hours after NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported there was still "mutual interest" between the Patriots and Texans to strike a deal. The Texans can't -- if they want to win games -- go into the season with Ryan Fitzpatrick as their starter. Fourth-round rookie Tom Savage isn't ready. This isn't to say Mallett is any better than either, but he knows the offense and has been Tom Brady's understudy for three years. We can't rule out a deal.

Source: John McClain on Twitter

Curious since you've got him rostered, based on talent and ability alone and ignoring the behavior issues, where would you rank Mallet as a rookie in this year's QB class?
Love his talent.

But it dont matter what I think, the NFL hasnt felt enough to go get him. I mean someone gave up a 2nd rounder for Alex Smith?? Matt Cassell?

Something doesnt fit, there is a derth of QB in the league, either you have one or you dont. Its pretty much black and white, and the DONT teams didnt feel that he was worth enough to go after.

Then the team he is on just drafted his replacement, so guess what they are not bringing him back next season.

Im guessing he finds the market rather cold next off-season. Time to march on from holding him Im thinking

But to answer your question, I THINK hes is just as talented as Bortles or Carr or Teddy.

However there must be something amiss, or I think NE would of moved him by now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Love his talent.But it dont matter what I think, the NFL hasnt felt enough to go get him. I mean someone gave up a 2nd rounder for Alex Smith?? Matt Cassell?

Something doesnt fit, there is a derth of QB in the league, either you have one or you dont. Its pretty much black and white, and the DONT teams didnt feel that he was worth enough to go after.

Then the team he is on just drafted his replacement, so guess what they are not bringing him back next season.

Im guessing he finds the market rather cold next off-season. Time to march on from holding him Im thinking

But to answer your question, I THINK hes is just as talented as Bortles or Carr or Teddy.

I agree with your assessment of Mallett in comparison to this year's class. That's why I'm holding with some optimism

I can't help but feel there are factors outside our knowledge holding this up. Maybe teams have become leery of trading with NE given some of the recent trades - and the Cassel trade doesn't help that perception. Maybe NE is holding the line at too high of a pick right now - and maybe they'll relent if Garrapolo shows he can at least be a competent backup. There could be a few other reasons why a deal hadn't happened that we just don't have information about.

I do believe Mallett is worth something significant since he had shown he can stay out of trouble - or maybe he hasn't and NE had covered it up. But I agree with your evaluation and know all of last year's and this year's drafted QBs will not pan out, that injuries can and will happen, and that NE will lose him due to contract expiration next year at the latest - so I am advocating holding.

Why would NE have any interest in trading Mallet now? Prior to the draft I get or during training camp if they like what they see from Garoppolo but can't see how they would have any interest in doing it now .

This is my thinking. I own Mallett in two dynasties. One, I drafted him with a 4th round rookie pick hoping he gets a shot. We have 53 man rosters during the season. I will hold him another year to see where he ends up as a free agent. The other I acquired him for very little a couple months ago. In that league I own Brady so he is a good handcuff with potential to maybe earn a starting gig next year so he is a hold for me there too.

Why would NE have any interest in trading Mallet now? Prior to the draft I get or during training camp if they like what they see from Garoppolo but can't see how they would have any interest in doing it now .
I actually thought the NE took Garoppolo to force Houstons hand in a trade.

Houst going to roll w Fitzpatrick/Savage/Keenum for a season, then sign Mallet or draft a QB???

seems like a waste of a season to me

I've said it before - John McClain is a hack that's wrong the vast majority of the time. He swore up and down there was no way they were taking Clowney, that the first pick would be a QB. Then about a week before the draft he says Clowney is a possibility, but they still want a QB and he believes they'll find a way to get one.

Then they take Clowney.

It's been this way for years with this guy -- he's not reliable, he's just been a beat writer for 30 some years so everyone assumes he has inside info.

I'm not saying they'll trade for Mallet (though I think it makes a ton of sense for both teams -- especially if NE believes in Garrapolo, which why spend a 2 if not?), but I won't believe they're not going to simply because McClain said they won't.

People don't realize that New England holds all the cards. Having a good back up that knows the system is worth more then a 4th or later round pick. They also don't want to make another team they may have to compete against, remember Houston was a good team when Schuab played decent. They also may get a 4th or better by letting him walk. Last by not trading him they are forcing the Texans to bid for his services next off season with other teams that want or need a quarterback, if they trade him to Houston now then Houston has a whole year to get him to a new deal before having to compete with other bidders.

I actually thought the NE took Garoppolo to force Houstons hand in a trade.

Houst going to roll w Fitzpatrick/Savage/Keenum for a season, then sign Mallet or draft a QB???

seems like a waste of a season to me
they took a qb in the 2nd to shake houston down for next year's 2nd?

they took a qb 'cuz it was time to take one.

if you look at how the cassell deal shook out -- his contract had actually expired, so they franchised him, then traded him to kc where he worked out a longer term deal.

I'm not saying history has to repeat itself, but it's not like it'd be impossible that he gets traded early next year if o'brien really wanted the guy at all.

People don't realize that New England holds all the cards.

or later round pick. They also don't want to make another team they may have to compete against, remember Houston was a good team when Schuab played decent. They also may get a 4th or better by letting him walk. Last by not trading him they are forcing the Texans to bid for his services next off season with other teams that want or need a quarterback, if they trade him to Houston now then Houston has a whole year to get him to a new deal before having to compete with other bidders.
If a 4th was the best they were going to get before or during the draft then they were best off drafting Garoppolo and finding out right now if he can be the backup. Right now I imagine they are working with him to find out how quickly he can pick up the playbook and whether they can afford to trade Mallett before training camp.

IMO the Texans 4th next year is worth a lot more than a possible comp 4th in 2016. If they feel Garoppolo can be a capable backup this year then trading Mallett makes sense. Otherwise, keep Mallett and have him replace Mallett next year.

I've said it before - John McClain is a hack that's wrong the vast majority of the time. He swore up and down there was no way they were taking Clowney, that the first pick would be a QB. Then about a week before the draft he says Clowney is a possibility, but they still want a QB and he believes they'll find a way to get one.

Then they take Clowney.

It's been this way for years with this guy -- he's not reliable, he's just been a beat writer for 30 some years so everyone assumes he has inside info.

I'm not saying they'll trade for Mallet (though I think it makes a ton of sense for both teams -- especially if NE believes in Garrapolo, which why spend a 2 if not?), but I won't believe they're not going to simply because McClain said they won't.
Cant argue with this at all. McClain's opinions turn out to be irrelevant quite often despite his position....

Love his talent.

But it dont matter what I think, the NFL hasnt felt enough to go get him. I mean someone gave up a 2nd rounder for Alex Smith?? Matt Cassell?

The Pats probably understand the value of a competent backup QB. They may have the price set too high for others to trade for an unknown when they can just draft unknowns who will be cheap longer.

The trade for Alex Smith made sense, the Chiefs had the talent to win and needed a known capable QB. Different situation.

Users who are viewing this thread