What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mallett (5 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mallett - QB - Patriots

Bill Belichick put a damper on the Ryan Mallett trade rumors, saying trading the second-string quarterback was "not really something we’re that interested in."

Pre-draft rumors swirled that the Patriots would deal Mallett to the quarterback-needy Texans, but nothing materialized and it's now dead according to the Houston Chronicle. It is still possible the Texans realize going into the season with Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum, and Tom Savage atop the depth chart is a recipe for disaster and reignite talks, but for now it appears Mallett will keep the bench warm during his contract year in New England.

Source: Masslive.com

May 22 - 7:36 PM

I've held him on my dynasty team for the last two years hoping he pans out when given his chance. I love the fact he's maturing under one of the best QBs of all time. I once sold another QB during the offseason when Favre left GB and I will not do it again, nor can I say his name...too painful.

I've held him on my dynasty team for the last two years hoping he pans out when given his chance. I love the fact he's maturing under one of the best QBs of all time. I once sold another QB during the offseason when Favre left GB and I will not do it again, nor can I say his name...too painful.
lol ouch, i remember seeing people giving up on Rodgers early in his career,

lol ouch, i remember seeing people giving up on Rodgers early in his career,
Looked it up...I took the Panthers defense instead of Rodgers in our startup draft when he was rookie.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mallett - QB - Patriots

Getting the start, Ryan Mallett struggled in the Patriots' preseason opener, completing just 5-of-12 passes for 55 yards.

Quite simply, it was a Gabbert-esque performance. Mallett lost two completions to Patriots penalties, but missed passes every which way. He threw multiple balls in the dirt, and displayed shockingly poor timing with his second- and third-team compatriots. He was jittery in the pocket, and the Redskins took advantage, sending more heat than you typically see in a preseason game. Mallett looked nothing like a quarterback the Patriots are going to be receiving calls about. He's leaving the door open for rookie Jimmy Garoppolo to seize No. 2 duties.

Aug 7 - 9:29 PM

Haven't even seen a highlight of this one but heard Mallett didn't fair well. I'm liking that as I'm pretty high on Jimmy G.

This thing with Mallett, seems like we have been hearing how great he is and that people want to trade for him for something like 6 years now. I wish it would just happen or go away somehow.

Pats outsmarted themselves not trading him this offseason IMO.
I don't believe they ever got an offer.
There were plenty of rumors. They supposedly were askin for a 1st though.
Earlier this week, there was some scuttlebutt on twitter that an NFL source said the Pats were looking for a 4th or 5th round pick for him. Now I think they would have a hard time getting anything for him.

Earlier this week, there was some scuttlebutt on twitter that an NFL source said the Pats were looking for a 4th or 5th round pick for him. Now I think they would have a hard time getting anything for him.
I guess the question is "WHO needs him that would make an offer"? Is there a team out there that would bring him on because if you trade for him, you pretty much have to be doing so with the idea you want him right now. Otherwise, if you're thinking down the road, you just sign him as a FA.

I guess the question is "WHO needs him that would make an offer"? Is there a team out there that would bring him on because if you trade for him, you pretty much have to be doing so with the idea you want him right now. Otherwise, if you're thinking down the road, you just sign him as a FA.
One team that has a glaring huge red sore thumb of a QB problem is the Bills. They need to go into panic mode shopping for a QB if Manuel repeats his game one preseason performance.

One team that has a glaring huge red sore thumb of a QB problem is the Bills. They need to go into panic mode shopping for a QB if Manuel repeats his game one preseason performance.
Chance the Pats would trade with the Bills seems pretty low I think. Ideally, the Pats would want to tread to a team like the Vikes or Cardinals (out of division, out of conference). I just don't know if there is a need there.

With Jimmy G not looking good in camp (and no other viable veterans on the roster) so far I am skeptical the Pats are looking to deal Mallet at this stage of the season (and how much value can he have if he was to be entering a new offense this late)...while he has yet to look good he at least understands their offense...even if they are looking to deal him I can't see the return being anything worth handing over backup duties to a raw rookie who has struggled in camp (unless they feel he is useless and simply cut him)...the bottomline is Brady better not get hurt because if he does they are in big trouble...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to put too much stock into one preseason game. Mallett may be good, he may be a fraud, but time will tell. The reports I have been reading is that he has been having his best training camp. It seems pretty likely that he backs up Brady this season and then signs elsewhere next year where he may get a chance to compete for a starting job.

I'm not going to put too much stock into one preseason game. Mallett may be good, he may be a fraud, but time will tell. The reports I have been reading is that he has been having his best training camp. It seems pretty likely that he backs up Brady this season and then signs elsewhere next year where he may get a chance to compete for a starting job.
I am always leery of reports on QBs having good camps because they play against the same guys in similar situations every day and it becomes an issue of how a guy can look good because he knows the drill and the patterns but then totally junks it when he has to play against different types of players with different schemes and methods.

In the SF/BAL game last night, Kurt Warner basically said the same thing about Blaine Gabbert when he mentioned that he had been having a great camp but seemed lost now that he was playing against different type of secondary players with Baltimore.

I personally don't think the Pats are looking to trade Mallett. I don't think they trust Garoppollo at this point (still very early). From what I have read, Mallett has done very well in camp (save the game last night) while Garoppollo has had a lot to pick up and has struggled at times. Bottom line, I don't think BB would risk relying only on Garoppollo should Brady go down for more than a few drives or much beyond a single game. I also don't think they would get that much back for Mallett at this stage anyway, so his value as a back up is likely more than the late round pick they would get back in return.

Mallett looked last night like he has in every preseason game he has played- not good. If he continues to play like he did yesterday and Garoppollo shows improvement, my guess is the Pats will cut him.

If Brady does go down, the Pats are done anyway. Might as well give Garoppollo reps and save a roster spot.

Mallets game was not as bad as everyone is saying. There were two or three instances where they completed a pass for a first down only to have it taken away by a bad penalty and then put the offence in a tougher position to make a completion.

These were two drive killers. Each of them was a first down pass but ended up coming back and then could not covert on third and long.

3-8-NE 22

(15:00) (Shotgun) 15-R.Mallett pass short right to 19-B.LaFell to NE 37 for 15 yards (23-D.Hall). PENALTY on NE-77-N.Solder, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at NE 22 - No Play.

3-5-NE 29

(2:18) (Shotgun) 15-R.Mallett pass short right to 85-K.Thompkins to NE 36 for 7 yards (38-C.Minnifield). PENALTY on NE, Offensive Offside, 5 yards, enforced at NE 29 - No Play.

Mallett looked last night like he has in every preseason game he has played- not good. If he continues to play like he did yesterday and Garoppollo shows improvement, my guess is the Pats will cut him.

If Brady does go down, the Pats are done anyway. Might as well give Garoppollo reps and save a roster spot.
I doubt they would cut him. If they just let him play out his contract this year, they should get some sort of compensatory pick out of him signing elsewhere. That pick could even be better than the one they might get in a trade, so it would be dumb to cut him. (Yes, lots of moving parts in that, as it depends on where he signs, how much he gets, if the Pats pick up other free agents, etc. I get that.)

With the amount of free agent wheeling and dealing the Pats do every year, I think it's highly unlikely that letting Mallet walk would get them any kind of compensatory pick in 2016.

With the amount of free agent wheeling and dealing the Pats do every year, I think it's highly unlikely that letting Mallet walk would get them any kind of compensatory pick in 2016.
If you understand the rules of engagement, the Pats don't do much in free agency with players that apply to the compensatory draft pick formula. Players that are cut from another team DO NOT count. So someone like Revis does not enter into the addition/subtraction of free agents. He was cut and became free and clear, so his former team does not get credit for "losing him."

Shefter just on ESPN, saying the same thing any sane Pats fan has been saying: He has more value as a good backup (in the opinion of the Pats), than as a future draft pick, and he's not on the trade block.

They have Super Bowl aspirations. Trading a backup QB that you like for a 3rd rounder, or even a 2nd, doesn't make sense. Yes, if Tom goes down for the year, they are done. But if Tom goes down for 4 games, and Mallet can go 3-1 or 2-2, that might be the difference between home field advantage, and having to go to Denver or Cincy for a playoff game.

Will they lose him after this year? Seems that way. There's also a chance that no one offers him a starting job at money he likes, and maybe he re-signs. A lot can happen in a year.

If you understand the rules of engagement, the Pats don't do much in free agency with players that apply to the compensatory draft pick formula. Players that are cut from another team DO NOT count. So someone like Revis does not enter into the addition/subtraction of free agents. He was cut and became free and clear, so his former team does not get credit for "losing him."
Revis doesn't come into the equation. Mallet is part of next year's free agent class so I'm not even talking about his effect. We'll see what the Pats do next offseason.

Shefter just on ESPN, saying the same thing any sane Pats fan has been saying: He has more value as a good backup (in the opinion of the Pats), than as a future draft pick, and he's not on the trade block.

They have Super Bowl aspirations. Trading a backup QB that you like for a 3rd rounder, or even a 2nd, doesn't make sense. Yes, if Tom goes down for the year, they are done. But if Tom goes down for 4 games, and Mallet can go 3-1 or 2-2, that might be the difference between home field advantage, and having to go to Denver or Cincy for a playoff game.

Will they lose him after this year? Seems that way. There's also a chance that no one offers him a starting job at money he likes, and maybe he re-signs. A lot can happen in a year.
I'll trust Garrapolo to go 3-1 or 2-2 over Mallett. Garrapolo will be the main back up to Brady, this is why he was drafted.

They will groom him to take over eventually, but in the meantime, JG will play if Brady goes down.

Mallett is the odd man out, and he should be. RM has had 3 full years to mature, and he has failed in game conditions time and time again.

I personally don't think the Pats are looking to trade Mallett. I don't think they trust Garoppollo at this point (still very early). From what I have read, Mallett has done very well in camp (save the game last night) while Garoppollo has had a lot to pick up and has struggled at times. Bottom line, I don't think BB would risk relying only on Garoppollo should Brady go down for more than a few drives or much beyond a single game. I also don't think they would get that much back for Mallett at this stage anyway, so his value as a back up is likely more than the late round pick they would get back in return.
I agree and that is exactly what I have read as well. Garoppollo has thrown several interceptions in practice and has been so bad that Belichick has made him run laps. You have to think that people are making too much out of a pre-season game. I am sure some will recall that the year that Brady went down to injury Cassel was just terrible in pre-season and Belichick still had enough faith in him to making him the unquestioned starter.

I agree and that is exactly what I have read as well. Garoppollo has thrown several interceptions in practice and has been so bad that Belichick has made him run laps. You have to think that people are making too much out of a pre-season game. I am sure some will recall that the year that Brady went down to injury Cassel was just terrible in pre-season and Belichick still had enough faith in him to making him the unquestioned starter.
So you put more value in practice sessions than a pre-season game ?

I don't buy it. Mallet has had years to figure it out, and he has shown next to nothing.

Garrapolo is the future, and based on last night's performance,

I think Garrapolo has surpassed Mallet on the depth chart.

I don't buy it. Mallet has had years to figure it out, and he has shown next to nothing.

Can't say that I agree with you. There is way more time spent in practice, drills, scrimmages against other teams, etc. then the few snaps someone got in a game. Also remember that in last night's game, NE benched almost all their starters and used a mix and matched approach to blockers and receivers. If people are not on the same page, it's easy to think they aren't very good. Similarly, by the time Garoppollo got in the game, he was playing against a lot of players that won't be on a roster in a few weeks when he looked bad in practice. So no, I do not think for a minute that Mallett is now third string.

Anarchy99 said:
Ron_Mexico said:
Donnybrook said:
Anarchy99 said:

Can't say that I agree with you. There is way more time spent in practice, drills, scrimmages against other teams, etc. then the few snaps someone got in a game. Also remember that in last night's game, NE benched almost all their starters and used a mix and matched approach to blockers and receivers. If people are not on the same page, it's easy to think they aren't very good. Similarly, by the time Garoppollo got in the game, he was playing against a lot of players that won't be on a roster in a few weeks when he looked bad in practice. So no, I do not think for a minute that Mallett is now third string.
Mallett doesn't pass the eye test for me like Garrapolo.

Did you see Garrapolo thread the needle on a couple of different occasions.

He made passes into tight coverage in one game that Mallet has rarely done in 3 years.

Doesn't matter if it's a third stringer or first, if there is only one spot to hit downfield that's the difference between a completion and an intereception,

it needs to be taken into account. Garrapolo did this on more than one occasion last night, Mallet doesn't have that type of accuracy or pocket presence to get it done.

Last night was the beginning of MAllet fading away and Garrapolo seizing the #2 QB slot in NE, imo.

I can't think of one QB who spent 4 years on the bench and went on to success as a free agent. :popcorn:

Edit: Rosenfels and Flynn, both of whom demonstrated more on the field than Mallett who has -9 yards to his name.

IMO someone would have traded for him if he was any good.

Why Mayock Was Wrong On Ryan Mallett

by Austin Piela 16h ago

TWEET (6)

LIKE (13)

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock made news around the league earlier in the week reporting that Patriots QB Ryan Mallett was “A starting quarterback in this league”. He also added that Mallett “Popped” when he saw him, complimenting his arm and decision making. Mallett is currently in a contract year and looking to either win the Patriots backup job, or impress another team enough to make a move for him.

The one thing Mayock got right in his whole statement on Mallett was that Ryan Mallett has a cannon. The guy can throw 50 yards with a flick of a wrist, and I have seen it in person. It is impressive. It makes you say “Wow!”. It makes you overlook things that make a great starter, or even a good one.

What Mayock missed while ogling Mallett’s “arm talent” is his lack of decision making. His atrocious footwork. The fact that he hasn’t hit a receiver in stride on any consistent basis. The awful body language that he has leading a huddle, blaming receivers for running wrong routes on balls that he stuck into the ground at 100 mph.

There are plenty of things to criticize about Mallett, but the inconsistency of his accuracy is by far the most puzzling thing about his game. There will be a play that he could not throw a more beautiful ball, followed by three plays that look like Tim Tebow was at the helm. There are routine throws that he can’t hit with any consistency, and impossible plays that he somehow pulls out of his pocket at completely random times. Inconsistency flows throughout his game as if he had the name “Sanchez” on his back.

In tonight’s game at Washington, Mallett showed a complete inability to throw with any sort of pressure in his face, even if there wasn’t much there. He routinely made awful reads and made a habit of rushing throws while not setting his feet before the throw. Those are not traits of a future starter, a future star. They are more the traits of a talented backup who never reached his potential. Time will tell if Mallett will be the quarterback that Mayock has touted him, but there is not, and has not been anything to base these claims on.

Classic overreaction from a handful of drives in preseason.

Matt Scott was out there ripping it up. He must be awesome.

Mallett has had 3 years, are we over reacting by saying he's had enough chances, and it's time to walk away ?

If not now, when do you walk away from Mallett ?

I don't think it's over reaction by saying thie RM experiment has failed.

As a life long Patriots fan, I've seen enough, he's simply not a game day quarterback.

We simply have no idea what he is capable of. I didn't buy the draft ransom trade talk, but I don't have a strong feeling either way.

Making career pronouncements on a gut with no regular season action? Braver man than me.

Mallett has had 3 years, are we over reacting by saying he's had enough chances, and it's time to walk away ?

If not now, when do you walk away from Mallett ?

I don't think it's over reaction by saying thie RM experiment has failed.

As a life long Patriots fan, I've seen enough, he's simply not a game day quarterback.
You overreact to three series in the first pre-season game by concluding a player stinks. While I certainly agree Mallet should have looked better than he showcased last night, one quarter of play doesn't provide enough of a sample size to give up on him so suddenly.

You overreact to three series in the first pre-season game by concluding a player stinks. While I certainly agree Mallet should have looked better than he showcased last night, one quarter of play doesn't provide enough of a sample size to give up on him so suddenly.
Three YEARS, not three quarters.

Three YEARS, not three quarters.
During those three years, how many plays have you watched him execute?
The window for guys like Mallet are extremely small to make it as a successful NFL starting qb. He has to capitalize on opportunities like last night to have any chance of amounting to anything. You would expect more from a player in his position or at least signs that he is 'getting it.' However he is proving that so far he is flopping. People defending him are using the pre season angle while failing to realize that this is Mallet's regular season. He won't get regular season snaps. Mallet knows this, the Patriots know this and yet Mallet is failing in his regular season. He is proving that he may not even be an average NFL back up at this rate.

Users who are viewing this thread