What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mallett (5 Viewers)

I remember like 6 months ago arguing with somebody in this thread who kept calling Mallett a "first-round talent".

:no:

I like Mallet and I hope he stays on the Pats. I don't want them to trade a QB that is competent and knows the system/team this close to Brady's senescence. I don't think a trade makes sense, unless it's for a high pick (which IMO is doubtful).
Brady's signed through 2017 with a cap hit that remains relatively unchanged each year (between $14-15MM). With the way the NFL is today, doesn't seem likely that QBs are in a ton of danger, especially the smart ones like Brady and Manning who know how to avoid hits. If you're Ryan Mallet, you can re-sign for back-up money, hoping Brady actually hangs them up in 2017-18, and then potentially you get your shot at that point, perhaps with a team in cap hell from making runs in the next few years while the window is open with Brady. OR, when you're a FA after this season, you go sign elsewhere with a shot at starter's money and a chance to make a name for yourself. Which would you choose?

Mallet has very little incentive to sit behind Brady until 2018, at which point he'll be pushing 30 (he'll start this year at 26). And what's to say the Pats actually give him a shot then instead of drafting a younger, cost-controlled player?

Either the Pats cash in this offseason for a 2nd or 3rd+, or they believe the value of having a back-up to Brady familiar with the system is sufficient utility for letting Mallet walk and hoping they net a mid-late round pick from the NFL.
You are assuming that Brady plays out his full contract from his decision and that Brady won't get worse without injury. Neither of those things are automatic. He will be 37 years old week 1 next season. We don't even know if he'll be the same QB that we saw last year, which wasn't as good as he was in the past.
The whole point being that Mallet will be in a position to choose to leave and NE to get much less compensation than what his likely value is now. NE does not have control over the situation after this season - unless you envision a Favre/Rodgers scenario playing out there after this year.
What is much less? A 3rd instead of a 2nd? I don't even know if he could be dealt for a 2nd. If he leaves and the Pats get a comp pick, he'll be signed to a starting job and a starting QB's pay nearly demand the max comp pick. Anyway, lots of trades "make sense" to people on the outside, but they never happen. The first thing people disregard are the human elements involved, like maybe Mallett likes being a Patriot and doesn't mind waiting an extra year if it means he'll be playing for a competent organization instead of a loser. Teams also have plans that they don't disclose to the public. I'm not saying he definitely won't be traded, but this disagreement stemmed from a Vikings blogger that knows jack squat (which apparently is evidence for something nowadays) and JFS171 saying the only question is where. Get outta here.
I'm gonna guess you're not too familiar with how compensatory picks are awarded.ETA -- Matt Flynn left GB at the end of his rookie deal and signed a 3-year $20.5MM deal with $9MM guaranteed with Seattle. GB also lost Scott Wells that offseason and signed an aging Jeff Saturday (equivocally replacing Wells). They received a 5th round compensatory pick. The next year.

The likelihood that Mallet sits the bench all year, leaves, and signs for more than Flynn did (who put together a couple of great games before he hit FA) is remote. Further, NE would have to not sign anyone, and even STILL at that point, the likelihood that Mallet leaving nets the Pats a 3rd round compensatory selection are about as high as humans colonizing Mars in the next 6 months.

Get the third rounder out of your head. It's not happening via a compensatory pick. "Get outta here."
Billy Belichek totally screwed the pooch... Shoulda waited for that compensatory pick. ##### totally overplayed his hand.

Total D!ck move by the Patriots. Give up Mallet right before the start of the season so he basically worthless to the team. Then when they force him into the starting role he has a 98% chance of failing. Way to wreck a guy's career.

Total D!ck move by the Patriots. Give up Mallet right before the start of the season so he basically worthless to the team. Then when they force him into the starting role he has a 98% chance of failing. Way to wreck a guy's career.
:lmao:

What?

Are you saying the same thing about every single team that cut players to get down to 53?

What?

Are you saying the same thing about every single team that cut players to get down to 53?
Seriously, lolwat
I will say, knowing of the Texans interest in the kid for a while, knowing their awful QB situation, and still waiting until right before the season to cave on the trade, it does sort of hurt his chances to learn the system and build rapport with the receivers. More than most positions, for sure, where you need to learn how to operate in a new huddle.

What?

Seriously, lolwat
I will say, knowing of the Texans interest in the kid for a while, knowing their awful QB situation, and still waiting until right before the season to cave on the trade, it does sort of hurt his chances to learn the system and build rapport with the receivers. More than most positions, for sure, where you need to learn how to operate in a new huddle.
I'm sure it would have served Mallet better to have been on his new team earlier. Just like every single other player that signs with a new team after the cut down day. It's not the Patriots' concern how Mallet gets on with his new time, just like it's not the Jets' concern what kind of chance Stephen Hill has, or the Saints Champ Bailey, or any of the other dozens/hundreds of players that just hit the street.

And also, Belichick clearly used week 4 as an opportunity to see how Garoppolo would handle an entire week with everyone knowing he was the starting QB. He got the practice reps, he was put in front of the media, etc. I'm guessing they were on the fence about whether or not Mallet would be worth the roster spot, but for whatever reason, liked what they saw about of Garoppolo this week, and decided they'd be comfortable just carrying the two quarterbacks. It's not like they traded Mallet late just to screw him over. Tommy Kelly and James Anderson were released well ahead of cut-down day, and it's believed that they did this as a favor to them since they already knew they weren't going to keep them. It lets them go look for jobs before the rest of the league cuts down and floods the free agency ranks. The Patriots will do this when there's room to, but it's certainly not something a player is owed.

Belichick can be a ####, no argument from me, but this criticism is just asinine.

The idea that Mallett is worse off going to a situation where he could possibly start than backing up Brady for yet another year is pretty funny. If Mallett shows that he can be a starting NFL QB, even if late in the season, he'll earn a lot more money than coming off of 4 years behind Brady without an on the field resume.

I suppose the biggest difference between any of these guys is that Hill and Bailey were CUT, while Mallett was TRADED. Mallett doesn't have the luxury of choosing where he ends up, in what situation. And I'm not disagreeing with you, I think that there is no need to take into consideration the future of the player when you're getting rid of them for the sake of your team. But, the point is, it is clear from a neutral observer that Mallett is disadvantaged by this late trade. Not saying the Pats should have done anything different, but the drawbacks are there.

I suppose the biggest difference between any of these guys is that Hill and Bailey were CUT, while Mallett was TRADED. Mallett doesn't have the luxury of choosing where he ends up, in what situation. And I'm not disagreeing with you, I think that there is no need to take into consideration the future of the player when you're getting rid of them for the sake of your team. But, the point is, it is clear from a neutral observer that Mallett is disadvantaged by this late trade. Not saying the Pats should have done anything different, but the drawbacks are there.
There is nowhere better for him other than possibly the Rams at this point. IMO, Hill > Fitzpatrick so he has the easiest road to starting job by midseason if he's really an NFL caliber QB.

I'll be surprised if he's not starting by week 11 after the bye against the Browns.

There is nowhere better for him other than possibly the Rams at this point. IMO, Hill > Fitzpatrick so he has the easiest road to starting job by midseason if he's really an NFL caliber QB.

I'll be surprised if he's not starting by week 11 after the bye against the Browns.
The question is, how early will it be until he is thrust into the starting role?

My comments above weren't meant to suggest BB and the Pats screwed Mallet… I think BB gets a pass a lot of the time in NFL circles and some god-like talent evaluator. It's not that he hasn't done a good job in managing that roster and making some very savvy trades, moreso that he somehow ducks criticism for the complete whiffs at times.

I am not arguing Mallet is a whiff - I actually think he has some talent. What I am arguing is that BB and the Pats grossly overplayed their hand with Mallet this year instead of trading him in the offseason. Now they've got a conditional 2016 7th (not 2015) that they may never see for the guy when this summer they could have likely had a 4th from the Texans or another team. They burned all their leverage, then dumped him… pretty poor management of the situation IMO.

Garrapolo would have needed to totally face plant for them to keep Mallet after spending a 2nd on Jimmy G.

The Pats were going to cut Mallett . . . who would have been claimed by the Texans anyway as they had the first waiver claim. The only way cut players can pick their team is if no one claims them in the waiver process. He was going to Houston no matter what.

Houston threw the Pats as little as possible, to keep their waiver priority. Great trade for Houston, as most 6th or 7th round picks for have the ability Mallet has.

But it really shows what the NFL thinks of Mallet.

My comments above weren't meant to suggest BB and the Pats screwed Mallet… I think BB gets a pass a lot of the time in NFL circles and some god-like talent evaluator. It's not that he hasn't done a good job in managing that roster and making some very savvy trades, moreso that he somehow ducks criticism for the complete whiffs at times.

I am not arguing Mallet is a whiff - I actually think he has some talent. What I am arguing is that BB and the Pats grossly overplayed their hand with Mallet this year instead of trading him in the offseason. Now they've got a conditional 2016 7th (not 2015) that they may never see for the guy when this summer they could have likely had a 4th from the Texans or another team. They burned all their leverage, then dumped him… pretty poor management of the situation IMO.

Garrapolo would have needed to totally face plant for them to keep Mallet after spending a 2nd on Jimmy G.
according to who?

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mallett - QB - Texans

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the "feeling around the league" is Ryan Mallett will get his starting opportunity at some point in Houston.

Per Schefter, "it may not be long," and likely depends on Ryan Fitzpatrick's performance. It's not hard to imagine the Texans playing musical chairs at QB this season, with Fitzpatrick, Mallett, and even fourth-round rookie Tom Savage ultimately making starts. For now, however, Fitzpatrick is pretty clearly atop the depth chart. Mallett is a low-end QB3 in re-draft leagues.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 7 - 12:36 PM

I still think we see Mallett before the end of the year. Fitzpatrick just doesn't have the stuff to win games when you need it. I don't know if Mallett does but I know Fitzpatrick doesn't and I think that will lead to the scenario of him playing down the line.

I can definitely see them rolling out mallet after the bye. 4 game skid along with a poor performance last game.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mallett - QB - Texans

The Texans named Ryan Mallett their starting quarterback for Week 11 against the Browns.

Coach Bill O'Brien praised Mallett's command of the offense, acknowledging his progress running the system, and said it's time to give Mallett "his shot." With the Texans on their bye, it was a prime time to make the switch. Fitzpatrick is 21st in the league in completion percentage, 15th in passing yards, and 11th in YPA. However, he managed just an 11:8 TD:INT ratio and took 21 sacks. The world has been waiting to see if Mallett can play in the NFL. And now is his time. In the final year of his rookie deal, Mallett has a golden opportunity to earn some good money in the offseason. Andre Johnson is said to be a big fan of Mallett's. Mallett has a big arm and will be able to get the ball deep to both Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins, but he has big-time accuracy issues in the short-to-intermediate range.

Related: Ryan Fitzpatrick

Source: Houston Chronicle

Nov 5 - 12:20 PM

I hope so. Would mean the Texans still have a good chance at the playoffs. That defense has the most turnovers in the NFL, if the QB play is even "average" good things will happen!

I remember Mallett at Arkansas had just about as strong an arm as I've ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

nice.

Nobody knows if he can play or not, but O'Brien would be the best authority on that subject and he has shown you what he thinks by making him the starter despite reasonable numbers by Fitzpatrick.

From a fantasy perspective, Fitzpatrick was 19th best among QBs in my league's system with 11.3 points per game. In superflex and 2-qb leagues, Mallett is an instant starter for many. I picked him up and am hoping that 3 and a half years of learning under Brady and Fitzpatrick along while working with some of the best coaches in the NFL will put him at a good intersection of ability, opportunity, and experience.

Users who are viewing this thread