What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mallett (5 Viewers)

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/11/new-texans-starting-qb-ryan-mallett-i-got-a-lot-of-fist-bumps/#28169101=0

Ryan Mallett, the Texans’ new starting quarterback, reacts Wednesday to his promotion.

His reaction to being named starting quarterback: “I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was excited. I’ve been waiting four years for this, but now it’s my time to have the opportunity to show what I can do. I’m going to make the best of it.”

What Coach Bill O’Brien told him as to why he is being named quarterback: “The reason is a team thing. He told me this morning and I said I’m going to give you everything I’ve got.”

How important it is for him to make an impact with this being the last year of his contract: “I’m not really worried about that right now. I’m just trying to get a win against the Cleveland Browns, I’ve got two weeks to prepare and I’m going to do the best that I can to leave no stone unturned, and try to get a win. We need one.”

Being given an extended time to prove he is the starter: “I mean, it gives me confidence. I’m going to go out there and play like I’ve always played. I’m going to be aggressive. I’m going to stay within the game plan. And like I said, try to get a win because we need one badly.”

How much it helped working with quarterbacks coach George Godsey in New England: “Spending time with Godsey really helps. He taught me the offense my first three years in the league and then he came her and then I ended up here. We have a very, very good rapport with each other. We know each other. We kind of know each other’s thinking. I don’t see any problems with that.”

What he learned from Tom Brady during his three years in New England: “I learned how to be a professional. I learned how work with your teammates, how to communicate, how it’s not just a one guy thing, how it’s all 11 guys on offense doing what we want to do to be successful. You can’t have one guy not doing the right thing and 10 other guys doing it because that can hurt an offense.”

Internalizing his excitement: “You see what you get, man. I wear my emotions on my sleeve pretty much, whether it be good or bad. I’m a passionate player. I’m passionate about this game. I’m passionate about my teammates. I want to help my teammates win and now I have a chance to actively do that in a game.”

If his teammates approached him after the quarterback change: “I got a lot of fist bumps.”

Twitter: ChronBrianSmith

Any homers heard anything about him in practices? Even before he was named the starter?
Honestly I don't think any of us reasonably know what to expect. We never saw him with this team in preseason. He didn't look all that great from what I remember with New England so I think a lot of us are guarded in our optimism. We're happy to change to a strong armed guy some people were high on but won't be surprised if he flames out. Hope not, this franchise needs to catch a break and luck in to a good QB

Don't fault them for the move because Fitz wasn't taking them anywhere, but I think the Mallett experiment will be short lived if whether they win/lose lies on his shoulders. I don't think you can build rapport with WRs/team on the fly during the season.

Wasn't impressed with his preseason work this year in New England.

Don't fault them for the move because Fitz wasn't taking them anywhere, but I think the Mallett experiment will be short lived if whether they win/lose lies on his shoulders. I don't think you can build rapport with WRs/team on the fly during the season.

Wasn't impressed with his preseason work this year in New England.
I know I'm grasping at straws here, but even Tom Brady looked horrible in the beginning of the season. That team had issues.

I think Mallet is ready, I like the path he's taken to get to this point ... Bill O'Brien is no slouch and he is the one making the move, he knows more than we do and his coaching history is very solid ... He's got some great pieces to work with and an elite defense ... in a better position than most 1st year starting QB's

I think Mallet is ready, I like the path he's taken to get to this point ... Bill O'Brien is no slouch and he is the one making the move, he knows more than we do and his coaching history is very solid ... He's got some great pieces to work with and an elite defense ... in a better position than most 1st year starting QB's
You haven't been paying attention. Mallet will fail miserably because no player can be traded to another team in-season and have any possibility of being remotely successful. Of course, QB is a much easier position to learn than RB, and it was in preseason, so maybe there is an outside chance...

Last edited by a moderator:
You haven't been paying attention. Mallet will fail miserably because no player can be traded to another team in-season and have any possibility of being remotely successful.Of course, QB is a much easier position to learn than RB, and it was in preseason, so maybe there is an outside chance...

:goodposting:

Also, for those unaware, Bill O'Brien was promoted from QB coach to OC of the team that DRAFTED Mallet ... they've been holding hands since the 6th grade

Well his OL is lousy at pass blocking. Derek Newton is pathetic and he'll also be subject to inside pressure from the guards quite frequently. Not sure how well that will accommodate the deeper drops needed to take advantage of his arm downfield. This defense may be opportunistic but they are certainly not elite. So I don't think these factors are quite as rosy as stated.

Does anybody what 2nd string WR mallet was riffing with in practice for the last 10 weeks?

Backup qbs tend to throw the ball tithe guys they were comfortable with in practice.

Just look at jarous wright or jordan Matthews.

I don't even know who the other WRs are on the texans after AJ and nuk

Keyshawn Martin? Anyone else? Could be a sneaky play especially in daily leagues.

Does anybody what 2nd string WR mallet was riffing with in practice for the last 10 weeks?

Backup qbs tend to throw the ball tithe guys they were comfortable with in practice.

Just look at jarous wright or jordan Matthews.

I don't even know who the other WRs are on the texans after AJ and nuk

Keyshawn Martin? Anyone else? Could be a sneaky play especially in daily leagues.
Devier Posey had a good pedigree before he ripped his knee to shreads.

I found this from an interview with mallet. Notice he mentions damaris Johnson. None of the other backups.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Wednesday-practice/c2bc3632-d661-42a4-af30-216ba2bf953b

"(on what hes done to make up for not being here in training camp) Being in a similar system, its just different players. The system part of it was alright. I just had to get my timing down the guys that play. Like you said, I was with the backups a lot, but with Andre (Johnson) and Hop (DeAndre Hopkins) and those guys and D.J. (Damaris Johnson), just getting my timing down with them. I felt like I was given the chance to have reps with them to be able to develop chemistry to get to this position. Its not an easy offense to learn, so it helps being a part of it the last few years.

(on if he thinks his arm is his biggest asset) Not at all. I think my football IQ is probably my biggest asset. You can always improve. You can never be complacent.

(on how he feels his accuracy is) There are always things that you can work on no matter what part of your game it is. I try to refine every part when something comes up."

I found this from an interview with mallet. Notice he mentions damaris Johnson. None of the other backups.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Wednesday-practice/c2bc3632-d661-42a4-af30-216ba2bf953b

"(on what hes done to make up for not being here in training camp) Being in a similar system, its just different players. The system part of it was alright. I just had to get my timing down the guys that play. Like you said, I was with the backups a lot, but with Andre (Johnson) and Hop (DeAndre Hopkins) and those guys and D.J. (Damaris Johnson), just getting my timing down with them. I felt like I was given the chance to have reps with them to be able to develop chemistry to get to this position. Its not an easy offense to learn, so it helps being a part of it the last few years.

(on if he thinks his arm is his biggest asset) Not at all. I think my football IQ is probably my biggest asset. You can always improve. You can never be complacent.

(on how he feels his accuracy is) There are always things that you can work on no matter what part of your game it is. I try to refine every part when something comes up."
But damaris is a smallish Andrew Hawkins type wr. What do you guys think? I think I'll slide him in as my wr3 in a few daily leagues.

I can't seem to find the data, but I'd be curious what his preseason stats looked like when O'Brien was the OC. Perhaps he just didn't do well with the McDaniels system, but as previously mentioned - BOB was the OC when Mallet was drafted by the Pats.

I wouldn't be shocked if Mallet was surprisingly effective.

I can't seem to find the data, but I'd be curious what his preseason stats looked like when O'Brien was the OC. Perhaps he just didn't do well with the McDaniels system, but as previously mentioned - BOB was the OC when Mallet was drafted by the Pats.

who's bob?

I saw him play for a couple of years at Arkansas, and thought he was going to be drafted in the first round. Call me a homer, but I think he easily has the potential to be a top 15 quarterback in this league. Do to some injuries and whatnot, I've got him starting for me in a 12-team league, and I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up with at least 2 touchdowns. If he's anything close to what he was like at Arkansas (when he was throwing to Jarius Wright, Greg Childs, and Joe Adams), he'll be better than Fitzy at this position.

Signed: Someone who thinks Mallet is at least as good as Tannehill. (Ok, that's a lie, I think Mallet is much better than Tannehill, and look forward to seeing what he does with the opportunity that he's been waiting almost half a decade for).

he's always looked about the same in pre -- as far as I can remember, anyway.

it's pre, so whatever, but it's been a mixed bag of a great throw downfield, and the next one where he drills a worm 10 yds out.

Not having Arian Foster for his debut hurts A LOT. I have Mallett in a 2-QB league but I'm not too optimistic this week and will play McCown over him. I did pick up the Browns D, so he's got a chance to help me some. ;)

Mallett has some good matchups after this week and I think he could be a top 15 QB the rest of the way. We haven't seen much of him, obviously, which is why none of us has much of an opinion on how he'll do, but O'Brien has seen a lot of him and obviously thinks he is an upgrade on Fitz. He has a credible opinion. We will see if he is right.

Mallett will be making his first NFL start at quarterback with a rookie, Alred Blue, making his second NFL start at running back.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/11/guide-to-the-game-players-to-watch-and-key-questions-for-texans-browns-matchup/#28449101=0

Ryan Mallett, Texans quarterback
He’s got to keep his nerves under control early in the game. He must avoid turnovers and make sure something as simple as the exchange with center Chris Myers goes smoothly. When he experiences adversity, like an interception, he’s got to put it behind him fast.

Five questions for Sunday

1. Can Ryan Mallett lead the Texans to an upset of the Browns? It’s possible but not probable. We’re talking about a quarterback making the first start of his four-year career on the road against a first-place team in wintery conditions. The Browns aren’t a great team, but they’re enjoying rare success in Mike Pettine’s first season as coach. They realize the opportunity that awaits them. Their next three games are against the Texans, Falcons and Bills, none of whom has a winning record. What an incredible story it would be if Mallett could help the Texans escape with a victory. The Texans need the Browns to play as they did in their last two home games. They beat two of the league’s worst teams, Oakland and Tampa Bay, by 10 and five points. Mallett is starting in place of Ryan Fitzpatrick because coach Bill O’Brien said he needed an offensive spark. At least Fitzpatrick kept the Texans in their last four losses, but there was a pattern O’Brien didn’t like: defeats by three, five, seven and 10 points.

2. What can fans realistically expect from Ryan Mallett considering how little he’s played? You can hope and predict, but there’s no barometer to use. He didn’t play very well in preseason for New England. Bill Belichick gave him away for a conditional seventh-round pick. Mallett has some things going for him. He’s got great size and a terrific arm. He’s a veteran and not a rookie. He knows the system. He’s had an extra week to prepare. He’s got two coaches he had in New England, Bill O’Brien and George Godsey. He was part of the Patriots’ game plans when they played Mike Pettine-coached defenses with the Jets and Bills. He didn’t play, of course, but he watched tape with Tom Brady, practiced, met with coaches. Pettine is the Browns’ head coach, but their defense is similar. Still, there’s going to be a lot of rust to knock off. Expect O’Brien to be conservative with his calls until he feels comfortable with Mallett.

3. If the pass blockers couldn’t protect the mobile Ryan Fitzpatrick, how can they be expected to protect the immobile Ryan Mallett? Mallett is more mobile than you think. He doesn’t move as well as Fitzpatrick, who’s 6-2. At almost 6-7, Mallett can slide to avoid the rush. He can roll out. He might even run if forced. He moves better than Matt Schaub. Fitzpatrick was sacked 15 times in the last four games and five times in the first five games. During this recent four-game stretch against the Colts, Steelers, Titans and Eagles, a lot of those sacks came on blitzes. The Texans worked hard on blitz pickup during their open date. It’s not just the linemen, either. The tight ends and backs have to pick up the players blitzing, and they have to block them. The receivers have to recognize what players are blitzing and adjust their routes accordingly. Mallett has to read the blitz and make sure he’s on the same page with his hot receiver and get rid of the ball fast. Fitzpatrick had begun to hold the ball too long in the last two games, which is one reason he was benched.

4. How important is the running game to a quarterback making the first start of his career? Doubly important. Every player and coach asked that question responded that the running game is always important for every quarterback – blah, blah, blah – but a few admitted it’s especially important for an inexperienced quarterback like Ryan Mallett. The Browns are 28th against the run. The better the Texans run, the more times they run. The more they run, the more of the clock they use. If they run effectively, they keep the front seven on their heels rather than their toes. The play-action game works better. The Browns will have to commit another player or two to stop the run, which should help Mallett and his receivers. The key is Arian Foster. He’s been nursing a groin injury. Bill O’Brien said he’d be a game-time decision. Foster said he expects to play. He’s second in the NFL with 822 yards. He averages 5.1 yards a carry. He’s scored 10 touchdowns, including seven rushing. He’s also a productive receiver. He’s vital to the success of the offense. If he can’t play, it’ll make Mallett’s job even more difficult. Rookie Alfred Blue will become the heavy-duty hitter. Even if Foster plays, Blue should get some carries coming off the bench.

... McClain’s prediction — Browns 23, Texans 19

The Browns are on a roll with three consecutive victories and five in six games. Their fans will be in a feeding frenzy for Ryan Mallett’s first start for the Texans. The weather could be a factor.
Houston Texans @HoustonTexans

Injury Update: Arian Foster is OUT vs. Cleveland. READ: http://bit.ly/1yHGgR4 pic.twitter.com/naLvPjzeks

The one pick was not a bad read or throw but a ball that got tipped into the air and picked by Haden. Accurate pass and a good read but well played by Cleveland.

All in all a definite good first game. No sacks taken. Connected with his top receiver, Andre Johnson, 7 times in 9 targets. Got a road win on a cold windy day in Cleveland.

Has better matchups coming up. Mallett should be pretty solid as a mid-level QB2 going forward.

Wouldn't be shocked at all to see him keep growing... I'm not saying he's a future top-5 QB, but he's clearly got talent and can execute. I wouldn' t be at all surprised to see him end up in the back-end QB1 range.

Announcers on the Houston radio feed repeatedly talked about his knowledge of the offense and how quickly the ball came out. He took no sacks because his back foot hit the top of his drop, and he threw nearly immediately. Kept the chains going, and made some very nice throws, though a couple weren't as good as they could've been. As previously mentioned, the INT was a tipped ball. Interested to see how he grows and O'Brien loosens the reins... could be a fun ride though. His arm talent is such that he's ALWAYS a threat down the field... and the ball has so much zip, it gives the WRs plenty of time to make post-catch moves and rack up more yards.

people are so odd here, they really have their faves

200 yards in debut is a good debut.

Mettenberger (who hasn't been learning on an NFL team for years) throws for 300 and he stinks. Colt McCoy has ridiculous accuracy and he stinks

Mettenberger (who hasn't been learning on an NFL team for years) throws for 300 and he stinks. Colt McCoy has ridiculous accuracy and he stinks
200 yards @ CLE with one of the best pass defenses (CB combo Skrine and Haden) ... and they were in control of the game handing the ball off ... using "200 yards" vs. "300 yards" as a point of comparison for QB performance is just dumb

It's not like these things rule out each other?

Hoyer just threw over 300 hundred yards and I wouldn't even call it a good game as he got 20 completions with 50 throws.

Not saying Mallett is the best qb ever, but he had a good game. Can't complain about that.

Are you serious here? Sample size is too small for both players, but Mettenberger had like 60 yards and a pick in the first half of his 299 yard game. He threw his first touchdown at the end of the 3rd quarter when the score was 27-3. He did this against the Texans who rank 31st in the league against the pass.

Mallett played two balanced halves against one of the better pass defenses in the league. But like you said, Mallett has been in the league for a while. And on top of that, he was learning the same offense in New England (O'Brien was the OC in 2011).

McCoy is a bizarre inclusion in this discussion of young QBs making their first starts since he's had 1.5 seasons worth of starts for people to form an opinion. He was a third stringer for a reason. That's not to say the book is written for his career, but he simply doesn't belong in this conversation.

He had a 70 yard TD on the second play of the game if he doesn't under throw Andre Johnson by 15 yards.

His second touchdown was a pick 6 if the ref didn't get in the way.

One positive to the strong arm? He had another pick 6 but threw it too hard for Kruger to handle.

He made panic throws the rare times the Browns sent pressure. Why didn't they send more? Great question!

He made his living on quick throws underneath. All game long.

Overall, very uninspiring performance.

The fade to Watt was nice though.

He looked good but he faced no pressure. In his post game comments when asked about his offensive line he said that he only got touched one time. Quick check of the stats, no sacks but the Browns did get two QB pressures but I think he's right, Cleveland only laid hands on him once all game so he faced virtually no pressure.

Part of that was the quick-pace game plan the Texans used, part of that was the running game that gashed a depleted Cleveland defense that lost its third defensive line and best run stopper in DE Phil Taylor to IR only days before the game and then during the game they lost their best defender this year when LB Karlos Dansby went down and then the Browns lost ANOTHER starting linebacker when LB Jabaal Sheard went down. Losing Phil Taylor was bad enough but that was over-the-top so the huge day from RB Alfred Blue made it really easy on Mallett.

Now he does have a quick release so add it all up, zero pressure, depleted defense allowing huge rushing game, lots of easy third and short conversions, fast pace offense that wore down the Browns and lead to more in-game injuries that wiped out any semblance of a pass rush, and then Mallett's quick release.

Give him credit but lets see what he does now that teams have a bit of film to study and I would imagine he won't face a team that was as beat up as the Browns and then see them lose two more starters during the game. Basically everything that could go in his favor went in his favor. Oh and he has the big time arm as advertised but lets see him when he faces a real pass rush and his running game isn't clicking and where he actually has to convert third and longs.

:lol: Your butt hurt is showing.

Was the ref in the way? Yes.

Was it going to be a pick? Maybe, but probably just a tipped/batted ball.

If it was a pick, would it be a pick 6? Obviously not. Unless you are a butt hurt Browns fan.

There were 50 non QB rushes this game for Hou and 30 passes. He avg over 7 yards per attempt which is good with 66% comp. His only turnover was a deep tipped ball in the end zone corner that didn't hurt them like a pick6 or a turnover on their side of the field would have. He gave a legit chance to the WR to make a play which is what this offense is designed to do, create one on one matchups after pounding the ball down the defenses throat. Make no mistake, BOB is happy man after this game and whether we like this perf better or worse than Mett he is the starter now. He could have easily had that 50/50 ball caught for a TD instead of the tip and he throws for 250 and 3TD with no picks. He played well. He played his role.

He had a 70 yard TD on the second play of the game if he doesn't under throw Andre Johnson by 15 yards.

One positive to the strong arm? He had another pick 6 but threw it too hard for Kruger to handle.

He made panic throws the rare times the Browns sent pressure. Why didn't they send more? Great question!

He made his living on quick throws underneath. All game long.

Overall, very uninspiring performance.

The fade to Watt was nice though.
Silly troll-level post.

Users who are viewing this thread