What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shooting at Texas school - Kids among victims (1 Viewer)

Oh man, the old photo of the Uvalde SWAT team posing for a photo is super-cringy.  No link, saw it on TV,  but I'll see if I can find one.

EDIT:  Link.  Pure posery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suicides of any nature are a mental health problem. Take away their guns and they will just find another way to kill themselves. This is a ridiculous take and Im all for better gun control.

This is incorrect.  Most individuals only attempt suicide once.  The more deadly method they chose means that the more likely the suicide will occur.  There is strong evidence that more guns results in more suicides. 

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/guns-and-suicide/ 

The timeline reporting has grown very odd (watching Chris Hayes, sorry, but better than the alternatives on such short notice).  

Allegedly, the shooter entered the building 10 minutes after a 911 call came in about a guy with a gun.  The PD is 1.2 miles away.  ... It can't be this bad, can it?

This is incorrect.  Most individuals only attempt suicide once.  The more deadly method they chose means that the more likely the suicide will occur.  There is strong evidence that more guns results in more suicides. 

You can also look at other countries and when they implemented stronger gun restrictions suicides also dropped.  

If I remember correctly, only guns and hanging have over 50% success rate, guns being 80%+ 

The timeline reporting has grown very odd (watching Chris Hayes, sorry, but better than the alternatives on such short notice).  

Allegedly, the shooter entered the building 10 minutes after a 911 call came in about a guy with a gun.  The PD is 1.2 miles away.  ... It can't be this bad, can it?
It seems like it’s going to get worse the more we find out. And IIRC, the friend of the shot grandmother told them he was going to the grade school.

It seems like it’s going to get worse the more we find out. And IIRC, the friend of the shot grandmother told them he was going to the grade school.
It makes no sense.  Sure, an individual might choke under such stress, but it makes no sense that collectively an entire unit would fail so spectacularly.  I'm pretty sure 10 random FBGs would storm a building if they thought they would save children.  Something very off.

Per the briefing today... He shot at people at the funeral home across the street before jumping the school fence and entering the unlocked door. 

There was some heads up to be had. 

I dont blame them though. Being crapped, on defunded, crappy pay. No way I'd do a job where I had to wear a bullet proof vest everyday and get crapped on by BLM and Dems.  

I just heard on MSNBC that police waited outside with the parents for almost an hour before finally going in.  The frantic parents were begging them to go in, so much so that a mom was put in handcuffs and a Dad was tackled and arrested.  WTF????

I am so sickened by all this.  So much broken.
Yep. All the more reason regular citizens need the option to be armed and protect their own children if they need to.  

Dude. Take this horrible take and get out of here. Jesus
Lots of blue cities got rid of police, then tried to hire more when crime got worse. Nobody wants the job because of the lack of support. Its fact. 

Suprised this happened in Texas, but, it might become the normal in big cities.  

Usually when someone doesnt understand its the perfect time to explain it to them. Especially when they ask. 

It would take multiple links and quotes to explain Japanese culture and attitude towards suicide that goes back centuries which would make Gordon Gekko look concise.

If you don't understand cool, I don't have the time to explain it. 

Lots of blue cities got rid of police, then tried to hire more when crime got worse. Nobody wants the job because of the lack of support. Its fact. 

Suprised this happened in Texas, but, it might become the normal in big cities.  
Nobody got rid of the police. Good god

There wasnt a security guard at the school. Entered school unobstructed. 

First police response retreated from gunfire. Waited 60 minutes for special ops team.  

Let's review the (reported) performance of the Uvalde Police and CBP response team on Tuesday:

- Waited 35-60 minutes before entering school while kids bled out, wasting golden hour

- Tazed / arrested parents begging them to go in, and attempting to rescue their kids themselves

https://twitter.com/BrynnTannehill/status/1529812650716188673?t=FmOuiy-DMYCitEdcONOMnA&s=19 

One mom, when finally released from the handcuffs, hopped a fence, ran in, and got her two kids. 

She should run for chief of police

Let's review the (reported) performance of the Uvalde Police and CBP response team on Tuesday:

- Waited 35-60 minutes before entering school while kids bled out, wasting golden hour

- Tazed / arrested parents begging them to go in, and attempting to rescue their kids themselves

https://twitter.com/BrynnTannehill/status/1529812650716188673?t=FmOuiy-DMYCitEdcONOMnA&s=19 

One mom, when finally released from the handcuffs, hopped a fence, ran in, and got her two kids. 

She should run for chief of police
You're making a great case for arming citizens so they can protect their own children. Keep up the good work.  :thumbup:  

It would take multiple links and quotes to explain Japanese culture and attitude towards suicide that goes back centuries which would make Gordon Gekko look concise.

If you don't understand cool, I don't have the time to explain it. 
What is wrong with you?  Then just don't reply.  

It would have taken you less time to say, it has a lot to do with how Japanese Culture views suicide.

I guess that was just too difficult.

NEW: Uvalde doubled its spending on school security since 2017.

It hardened the school — hiring its own police force, installing fences. It created a threat reporting system & brought in social workers. 

It happened anyway. 

Latest w/@jonschuppe https://t.co/qxnWVD207z

This data is muddy.

Why would these numbers not translate among the races? 

Are rural men more likely to commit suicide because rural gun ownership is much higher or are rural men much more likely to commit suicide and then they buoy the stats of gun ownership/suicide? 

catturd2 ·7h

The party of open borders, defunding the police, no cash bail, and releasing thousands of violent criminals early - want you to know they’re really concerned about gun crimes now.

:yes:

Japan and Korea don't have much mental health awareness, so they have high rates of depression and suicide. Guess what they don't have? Hundreds of mass shootings every year. I wonder why?
Well, they have really strict gun laws, so unfortunately that means only the outlaws have guns. 

I've never been there, but I'm sure it's like a Mad Max movie, with all the armed outlaws terrorizing the citizens. 

It must be nice being a gun lover. Donate money to the NRA. NRA spends millions to buy politicians who sit around paralyzed by heartbreak, tears, thoughts and prayers for more dead children.
2nd amendment gun rights still there? Yep! Win!   Sucks to be them kids, eh?

Well, one - there can be outliers if we are talking overall data and trends.    

Two, suicide is built into their culture more.   It's more accepted, their main religions don't condone it, samauri mentality, etc.  
So what you are saying is that culturally there are differences regarding suicides. 

So japanese people are more likely to complete suicide with/without access to a gun for other reasons. 

So if we were to look at the United States and we see where white males make up the vast majority of suicides and we see that in other races, that have access to firearms at sometimes higher rates, the suicide rates are vastly different, is it fair to conclude that there might be cultural forces in play in the US too? 

I live in a rural community that has a unified high school with over 1000 students. The keystone cops around here would have made these guys look like the A team. We just are not prepared for an event like this, and it doesn't looks like they were either. 

Let’s give the kids guns too!! Schools will no longer be “soft targets”.
Did you misspell teachers?

Kids are pretty good at using cell phones to call dad nowadays.  I'd set up a text code like "911" with them to save time.  

Users who are viewing this thread