What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So... what now, with the Packers WRs in redrafts? (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
I'm sorry about Jordy but the fantasy life goes on.

Cobb is now a marked man. I don't think this is a positive for him at all.

Adams gets a huge bump and Janis is now draftable later on.

I don't think this changes a lot for Cobb. He can actually get down field, but wasn't used that way much since Nelson was more a reliable deep threat, but I think Cobb might see more deep routes than before.

Adams' stock obviously rises, and the other guys are now draftable.

Remember, Aaron Rodgers is throwing them all the ball, and that always helps.

YAY, a NEW thread for a change!!! Cobb's value certainly diminshes somewhat, although he's skilled enough to carry the load.... big jump in value for second year WR Adams. He's been having a great camp already and now will see a good 30-40 more targets. Love him!!

Looked like Janis was the guy who came in right away for Nelson, any chance he fills that role while Devante remains the #3?

Last edited by a moderator:
Janis is the guy over Montgomery . . .

Adams is big enough to play outside, and Janis was supposedly having a quiet camp, so my guess is that he only comes in on three wide sets - but only is just a word when nowadays three wide is the base offense for the majority of NFL teams.

So where is Adams a good value? Possible 4th, must pick in the 5th? He'd only have to finish 75-1000-7 to be worth a 5th rounder. I think he's a late 4th in PPR now., early 5th in non-PPR.

Cobb value rises IMO. Never understood the 'opposing defenses will focus on him more' argument. Especially with a guy like Cobb. He makes his own space and is constantly in middle of field with LBs and Safeties. He will get more targets which gives more opportunity.

Upgrade Adams and Janis. Slight downgrade to Aaron Rogers.

Who's the TE? R Rogers?

this horrible news about Nelson will likely allow Lacy and R Rodgers to catch some more passes also....Adams??? roughly WR 18 off the top of my head....

I'm thinking Cobb's value rises if anything- sure he'll get more attention but it'll be more than offset by the uptick in targets. He was targeted less than 8 times a game last year and ended up with 90+ grabs. Given how efficient he is on a per target basis even 20-30 more targets for him represents a serious bump in fantasy value.

So what do you do if you drafted Nelson this weekend. Who do you pick up? Do you take another Packer WR or take a player like Marcin Jones?

Cobb is actually a good receiver. I think it's silly to believe that this hurts him this year.

They'll (continue to) move him around just like they moved around Nelson to get the match-ups they want.

Cobb is actually a good receiver. I think it's silly to believe that this hurts him this year.
I'll be surprised if he matches his numbers from last year. I know it's hard to roll coverage towards a guy who's in motion all the time, but defenses will figure it out. It's hard to believe they'd let Cobb consistently beat them with a handful of unproven players behind him.

Janis is the guy over Montgomery . . .

Adams is big enough to play outside, and Janis was supposedly having a quiet camp, so my guess is that he only comes in on three wide sets - but only is just a word when nowadays three wide is the base offense for the majority of NFL teams.
I don't agree, he did come in before Ty but it was a pre season game and Janis plays outside.

They are different players and who comes in I think depends on the play they're running in my opinion. Time will tell but Janis needs to be more consistent.

Amazes me to hear just a few weeks ago from Mike McCarthy that the Packers offense was going to be nearly unstoppable and then just one receive goes down, all of a sudden, all they have left is an overrated Randall Cobb and some junk recievers.

They'll (continue to) move him around just like they moved around Nelson to get the match-ups they want.
No kidding. Adams could very well replace what Jordy Nelson did and Cobb's role could remain there same.

Not sure of that because what has to happen is Adams or Janis or whoever has to REPLACE Jordy Nelson all year. Adams looks to fill the body type so it seems reasonable that they put him in that role and they keep it simple. They can try to feature Cobb more as they should because he is so dynamic but teams WILL give him more attention and he will be more predictable because he will have to stay in a role and not be mister everything because Adams will have to stay in his role because the season starts in three weeks and you can't expect him to be what Nelson was.

To me, I say flip a coin if this noticeably does anything for Cobb either way. Obviously the thing to watch here is who ends up getting the confidence of Rodgers now. Maybe it's a te. Maybe it's Adams or Janis. Or maybe it is Cobb or lacy gets more work. It's really hard to say because this is a smart team and awesome an. They will adjust. But we just don't know how they will adjust

Worth noting that Ty Montgomery should definitely be on the radar in significant return yardage leagues. At the very least he should get some work in 4 wide sets, and if he moves into the WR 3 role (by passing Janis, or through another injury), then he could be a really significant contributor.

Amazes me to hear just a few weeks ago from Mike McCarthy that the Packers offense was going to be nearly unstoppable and then just one receive goes down, all of a sudden, all they have left is an overrated Randall Cobb and some junk recievers.
Who said that?
Sounded like you were saying he wasn't going to approach last year's numbers. Am I wrong?
He could "approach" them. I just don't see him exceeding them. :shrug:

Anticipating him getting extra defensive attention does not equal me saying he's overrated. He's a terrific player.

I think Adams could be the #1 if he develops enough. His upside is pretty high, and he could be better than people think. I think late 4th or early 5th is roughly where he would go. I don't know if I would take him over Brandon Marshall. Probably not over Keenan.

I actually would love to see some data on a Cobb "type" who was forced to take over the #1 role due to an injury to another excellent WR on his team. Any comps come to mind?

Next week's game is the one to watch and see how they are used. I think keeping Cobb where he is and having Adams in Jordy's role makes more sense than having 2 players change their roles.

Montgomery was called a bigger Cobb and could do some of what Randall did out of the backfield.

I actually would love to see some data on a Cobb "type" who was forced to take over the #1 role due to an injury to another excellent WR on his team. Any comps come to mind?
Golden Tate?
Nice.

And it's funny you mention him. I almost started a thread the other day about drafting players you can't stand. I HATE Golden Tate; I think he's the biggest jerk in the NFL and just the thought of rooting for him turns my stomach, but I'm not blind as to how productive he can be in that offense. At some point, he'll slip far enough to where you have to put aside your personal feelings about a player.

Back on-topic...

What do you mean "take over the #1 role?" He's almost certainly not going to be playing the X, so it will be business as usual with more targets and more rolled coverage when teams think they can get away with it.

Cobb's such a good and versatile route runner that the latter won't matter much, just like it doesn't for Antonio Brown. Reception Perception did an 8 game study on Cobb last year, and he beat double coverage 9 of the 11 times he faced it. Small sample size caveats apply, but I'm not surprised at all and it's hardly reason for pessimism. He beats zone coverage like a drum. He's not stifled by man or press coverage. He'll be fine.

GB's offense will spread things around enough that I'm not forecasting some transcendent season from Cobb, but I don't think this hurts his value at all.

What do you mean "take over the #1 role?" He's almost certainly not going to be playing the X, so it will be business as usual with more targets and more rolled coverage when teams think they can get away with it.
"#1 role" meaning he's now THE MAN... nothing to do with his position. I'll say this again: Cobb is fantastic. No argument. But defenses not having to worry about Jordy is a gigantic factor.

"#1 role" meaning he's now THE MAN... nothing to do with his position. I'll say this again: Cobb is fantastic. No argument. But defenses not having to worry about Jordy is a gigantic factor.
Isnt an example when Nelson went down several years ago?

Got exact numbers on him with/without Nelson? I'm lazy.

I also agree this is bad for Cobb.
:hifive:

We're on an island though, and I hope I'm wrong because I love watching him do special things. I'm also worried about everyone talking about "increased targets"... increased targets = increased risk of injury, and he's not the biggest guy in the world.

I definitely think that losing a stud target usually does not help another stud, since more focus goes on the healthy one, but this is not an offense being led by Mark Sanchez; it is being led by Aaron Rodgers, the current MVP and best QB in the league, and I have faith that he will find a way to get the ball to Cobb on a regular basis.

Got exact numbers on him with/without Nelson? I'm lazy.
The 10 games where Nelson logged at least 1 catch: 90-976-6.4 (16 game pace)

The other 5 games without Nelson: 77-1101-12.8 (16 game pace)

Cobb has developed significantly since then, but it's apparent that you're not going to believe it until you see it.

That's fine. It's all just opinions until we see how it plays out.

All IMO...the #3 role is likely to be muddled. Week 3 preseason game next week will go a long ways towards seeing the GBP's thoughts on how to restructure the offense without Jordy.

The #3WR spot in GB is completely up for grabs. Before the Nelson injury, reports were that Nelson, Cobb, Adams, and Montgomery were the 'locks' to make the roster. Abbrederis, Janis, and Myles White were battling for the #5 job, and likely a roster spot.

I think Cobb, Adams, and Montgomery end up the top 3 in terms of targets, assuming health. Janis/Abbrederis likely both make the roster now (one was likely to be cut/sent to practice squad).

------

Abbrederis lost his rookie season to an ACL injury and has missed time currently with a concussion. Reports were he was on the roster bubble. (6'1", 195 and plays outside). Excellent route runner, is aggressive at the point of attack, and has the size and vertical leap to win jump balls. Health is a concern.

Janis was a small school guy with great measurable who they grabbed in the 7th last year, and has had a quiet camp. Reports were he was on the roster bubble. Has ability, but hasn't 'put it together' yet according to camp reports. (6'3, 219 and plays outside)

White is an UDFA who spent last year on the practice squad. Roster bubble, likely had to beat out the above two players.

Montgomery is hyper athletic and a 3rd round pick this season. He has been drawing praise all camp. (6'0", 212, returner, used out of backfield, outside) More RB skills than WR skills and struggles to track deep balls, but if used creatively can make plays all over the field.

----

Montgomery is hyper athletic and a 3rd round pick this season. He has been drawing praise all camp. (6'0", 212, returner, used out of backfield, outside) More RB skills than WR skills and struggles to track deep balls, but if used creatively can make plays all over the field.

----
Good call. If i'm going to gamble on the Packers #3 it will be with the upside of Montgomery. A guy like Janis doesn't have much of a ceiling even if he does win the spot.

I definitely think that losing a stud target usually does not help another stud, since more focus goes on the healthy one, but this is not an offense being led by Mark Sanchez; it is being led by Aaron Rodgers, the current MVP and best QB in the league, and I have faith that he will find a way to get the ball to Cobb on a regular basis.
Well sure Cobb isnt going to fall of a cliff, but as a cobb owner i much prefer for nelson to have been healthy.

Anyone aware of how many TDs Cobb scored last year? Get ready to cut that in half or more.

Users who are viewing this thread