What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

STAR WARS: Episode 7 (All-Time #1 opening box office.) (1 Viewer)

Is this where we come to bash anything new Star Wars to prove things were better in the good old days?

Does this sound at the of the trailer being confirmed as Luke's saber mean anything?
do you have a link about this?

In terms of what it means, I think it just goes back to our original guess earlier in the thread

that the man in black might be Luke

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this sound at the of the trailer being confirmed as Luke's saber mean anything?

In terms of what it means, I think it just goes back to our original guess earlier in the thread

On GMA this morning, they broke two 'inside scoops'...the voice is Serkis and the noise at the end is Luke's saber.

So no link.

Well...

The "broadsword" lightsaber appears unstable, so there is speculation that it was built by someone without knowledge or guidance. I think that would eliminate Luke.

Well...

The "broadsword" lightsaber appears unstable, so there is speculation that it was built by someone without knowledge or guidance. I think that would eliminate Luke.
could also be inferior ,materials, or if the force is somehow less potent that could be impacting the saber, or it could just be an abrams visual

I just pray Abrams stays true to the original trilogy and lets dancing teddy bears with sticks save the galaxy

Well...

could also be inferior ,materials, or if the force is somehow less potent that could be impacting the saber, or it could just be an abrams visual

Or the instability could be on purpose for effect.

Major spoiler with a picture, do not open if you don't want to know anything important!!!!

It's widely rumored that the person in black is Adam Driver, possibly the movie's villain shown here.

Major spoiler with a picture, do not open if you don't want to know anything important!!!!

It's widely rumored that the person in black is Adam Driver, possibly the movie's villain shown here.
Thought that was sort of obvious :shrug:

For those not following news, rumors and spoilers too closely it probably isn't, as evidenced with the previous guesses.

Grantland chimes in with their random thoughts. Interesting for us who hate CGI, it was pointed out that the Falcon scene was shot in the old school motion capture style that the original flight scenes were filmed. :thumbup:

I've already promised my boys that I'm taking them to a midnight screening the day the film opens. We're already geeked for it, and still have a year to go.

I've already promised my boys that I'm taking them to a midnight screening the day the film opens. We're already geeked for it, and still have a year to go.
I was saying the other day that I find it odd that we'll see pictures of Pluto before we see the next Star Wars movie.

Billy Bats said:
Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Billy Bats said:
NewlyRetired said:
gump said:

For those not following news, rumors and spoilers too closely it probably isn't, as evidenced with the previous guesses.

Grantland chimes in with their random thoughts. Interesting for us who hate CGI, it was pointed out that the Falcon scene was shot in the old school motion capture style that the original flight scenes were filmed. :thumbup:

I chimed in way earlier with a red "X" that Luke != "man in black with cross-sabre", fwiw (well, it wasn't red at the time, but it's red now ;) )

And, I can also confirm that, YES, the Falcon shot in the teaser is indeed a fully CG falcon. Does that make you hate CG any less?

Please don't confuse all CG with "bad effects, regardless of medium".

Billy Bats said:
Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Billy Bats said:
NewlyRetired said:
gump said:

I chimed in way earlier with a red "X" that Luke != "man in black with cross-sabre", fwiw (well, it wasn't red at the time, but it's red now ;) )

And, I can also confirm that, YES, the Falcon shot in the teaser is indeed a fully CG falcon. Does that make you hate CG any less?

cg is light years ahead of where it was 10 yrs ago.

Billy Bats said:
Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Billy Bats said:
NewlyRetired said:
gump said:

cg is light years ahead of where it was 10 yrs ago.

Good tools in the hands of talented artists is the key, regardless of that fact if the effect is CG or practical.

there's tons of bad cg out there even with all the advancements.

and there's some GREAT CG out there that most folks don't even realize "isn't real".

Billy Bats, does the falcon shot look any different to you now that you know it's not shot in old school motion control?

Billy Bats, does the falcon shot look any different to you now that you know it's not shot in old school motion control?
I was more surprised they said it wasn't in the Grantland article. I thought it looked CGI and assumed it was. :shrug:

eta: How are you sure, and what other info can you PM me?!

No way that skinny sith in the woods is luke. He would be nearly 60 and nobody gets skinnier as they age unless cancer or space AIDS

I was more surprised they said it wasn't in the Grantland article. I thought it looked CGI and assumed it was. :shrug:

Let's say just say I work in the special effects industry and I'm 1000% sure. And I can't PM you anything. Sorry :)

Gonna be a great mix of practical sets and CG in this one!

Let's say just say I work in the special effects industry and I'm 1000% sure. And I can't PM you anything. Sorry :)

Gonna be a great mix of practical sets and CG in this one!
Any chance you can work with ILM to CGI some life back into Harrison Ford? We already had to sit through the living lobotomies that are Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman.

Star wars Rebels has been enjoyable too....not sure i like it more than clone wars, but it is fun
I've been watching rebels too with the kids. Some haven't even seen any of the movies yet. I like it. Also started watching the clone wars on Netflix. So far so good.

What I'm looking forward to isn't necessarily the story or the old characters or any of that ........but different camera angles, shots and direction in the Star Wars Universe. I always liked the old Star Wars Manga comics because they presented the story in a non-Lucas manner. Seeing this Universe with steadi-cams, huge tracking shots and different angles will be awesome. Oh....and no more scene wipes.

I'm just interested, period. I was 10 yrs old when Stars Wars came out, and it was and still is to this day, the single biggest movie phenomenon of all time. It ran in the theaters for a year. Try to imagine that. People saw it 20-50 times, this was not uncommon. When the first Star Wars follow up came out in the 90's, there was a line a quarter mile long to see it at just one of the local theaters, and probably at most theaters around the country saw similar lines.

this is what it was like in 1977

Star Wars debuted on Wednesday, May 25, 1977, in fewer than 32 theaters, and eight more on Thursday and Friday. Kurtz said in 2002, "That would be laughable today." It immediately broke box office records, effectively becoming one of the first blockbuster films, and Fox accelerated plans to broaden its release.[30][74] Fearing that Star Wars would fail, Lucas had made plans to be in Hawaii with his wife Marcia. Having forgotten that the film would open that day,[75] he spent most of Wednesday in a sound studio in Los Angeles. When Lucas went out for lunch with Marcia, they encountered a long line of people along the sidewalks leading to Mann's Chinese Theatre, waiting to see Star Wars.[50] He was still skeptical of the film's success despite Ladd and the studio's enthusiastic reports. While in Hawaii, it was not until he watched Walter Cronkite discuss the gigantic crowds for Star Wars on the CBS Evening News that Lucas realized he had become very wealthy (Francis Ford Coppola, who needed money to finish Apocalypse Now, sent a telegram to Lucas's hotel asking for funding).[75] Even technical crew members, such as model makers, were asked for autographs, and cast members became instant household names;[8] when Ford visited a record store to buy an album, enthusiastic fans tore half his shirt off.[75]

The film was a huge success for the studio, and was credited for reinvigorating it. Within three weeks of its release, 20th Century Fox's stock price had doubled to a record high. This was due in no small part to the grosses from Star Wars: prior to 1977, 20th Century Fox's greatest annual profits were $37,000,000, while in 1977, the company easily broke that record by posting a profit of $79,000,000.[8] Although the film's cultural neutrality helped it to gain international success, Ladd became anxious during the premiere in Japan. After the screening, the audience was silent, leading him to fear that the film would be unsuccessful. Ladd was later told by his local contacts that, in Japan, silence was the greatest honor to a film, and the subsequent strong box office returns confirmed its popularity.[8]

When Star Wars made an unprecedented second opening at Mann's Chinese Theatre on August 3, 1977, after William Friedkin's Sorcerer failed, thousands of people attended a ceremony in which C-3PO, R2-D2 and Darth Vader placed their footprints in the theater's forecourt.[74][8] At that time Star Wars was playing in 1,096 theaters in the United States.[76] Approximately 60 theaters played the film continuously for over a year;[77] in 1978, Lucasfilm distributed "Birthday Cake" posters to those theaters for special events on May 25, the one-year anniversary of the film's release.[78]

Look, i'll see this, but JJ Abrams and the horrible way Lost went makes this a week 2 thing for me.

I know it's blasphemy, but I'm more nervous about the way Abrams could make me really interested in this only to find out the entire movie was a dream sequence, then I would be if Michael Bay was directing this and my only fear would be death via the audio with everything exploding simultaneously.

trogg78 said:
Star wars Rebels has been enjoyable too....not sure i like it more than clone wars, but it is fun
I've been watching rebels too with the kids. Some haven't even seen any of the movies yet. I like it. Also started watching the clone wars on Netflix. So far so good.
What is the timeframe for that series? Have they already introduced some of the characters in the coming films or is it a separate storyline/timeframe altogether?

trogg78 said:
What is the timeframe for that series? Have they already introduced some of the characters in the coming films or is it a separate storyline/timeframe altogether?
Production website

Star Wars Rebels is an American 3D CGI animated television series produced by Lucasfilm and Lucasfilm Animation. Set fourteen years after Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and five years before Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Rebels takes place during an era when the Galactic Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy. Imperial forces are hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights while a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking form. The visual style of Star Wars Rebels is inspired by the original Star Wars trilogy concept art by Ralph McQuarrie.[2]

no matter what i just hope there are more ewock dance parties those things are aweome take that to the bank brochachos

Users who are viewing this thread