What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (2 Viewers)

thought the first episode of 3 Body problem was great.
This is the new show from the creators of "Game Of Thrones"? I have seen in promos they're using some of the same actors.
The casting is absolutely terrible, but it contributes to the so-bad-its-good vibe. Like yes, of course the world's top theoretical physicist is a dead ringer for Jessica Alba. Everybody knows that the international physics community is full of beautiful, rich, cool people. Physicists are famously like that.

I mean, Ian Malcolm was fine in Jurassic Park, but you can't include characters like that in shows like this now unless you're doing it with a wink and a nod. The "rock star scientist" thing is a played-out trope.

The story is cool though, at least so far.

One episode into 3 Body Problem and I can't decide whether this is good, stupid, or both. Specifically, the part set in China seems pretty good, and the part set in the modern day seems idiotic. I guess I should at least stick with it until the plot comes into a focus a bit. (I've never read the book and I'm going in mostly blind).
I wasn’t a huge fan of the books, and thought the premise was Thetan-level stupid, but I am enjoying the show. Mostly because it is a bunch of beautiful people that graduated from the Joey Tribiani school of smell-the-fart-acting.

I finished 3 Body Problem, and I can't decide what to think about it.

The cast is terrible and the acting is poor. It doesn't break the show or anything, but it's very Netflixy.

The story has an interesting and suspenseful build-up, but then it completely goes off the rails during the last 2-3 episodes. Specifically, several characters respond to the situation in ways that, to put it very charitably, are completely irrational. I'm not talking about the villain -- we kind of understand why she did what she did. But at least two of the main characters end up behaving in extremely bizarre ways, and that feels disorienting given that we were conditioned to expect them to emerge as heroes or, at worst, tragic figures. I don't know whether that's a function of the book, or the filmmakers, or both.
Yes to all the above! I allowed myself to be immersed in the video game set-up and the story kept my attention as both that and China played out but man is the acting/actors in London lousy and distracting. And the payoff is setup by stoopid beyond belief choices while also being accomplished at the speed of sound for such a monumental undertaking. And there is No Way the whole world gets on board, there are always agitators and naysayers amongst the community of nations, this sitch would be no different.

I guess I am going to have to watch it. It's only 8 episodes. In the Chinese version they didn't even get to the Panama canal until episode #28. lol

Full Swing Season 2 is catching my attention. Those who might remember a certain pole vaulter from Cal might enjoy the focus on the Fowler family. :wub:

And man, hate to see Joel Dahman back-sliding a bit in his personal life. Dude needs to put down the booze for a little bit and talk to a sports shrink. Good guy, just carrying a lot on his shoulders right now.

Full Swing Season 2 is catching my attention. Those who might remember a certain pole vaulter from Cal might enjoy the focus on the Fowler family. :wub:

And man, hate to see Joel Dahman back-sliding a bit in his personal life. Dude needs to put down the booze for a little bit and talk to a sports shrink. Good guy, just carrying a lot on his shoulders right now.
Was a good season but lmk when you are done and I'll give you some more none shown history :)

Season 2 of Tokyo Vice started slow but boy did it pick up, I'm looking forward to the Season finale this Thursday.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
I watched 1 1/2 episodes of 3 Body Problem and it just isn't interesting to me. I will continue but disappointed so far.
Lol... If you're not into it the first few EPs, definitely pull the plug. It doesn't exactly go uphill from there.

It's not as bad as all that... Just way too :rolleyes: to the point of distraction.
I'm on episode 6. This is a genre in my wheelhouse and I should like it; physics, aliens, alien technology, but something is off with it. If I didn't know this was adapted from a book I would of thought this was an AI-generated show pumped out by Streamberry's quantum computer.

Last edited:
I watched 1 1/2 episodes of 3 Body Problem and it just isn't interesting to me. I will continue but disappointed so far.
Lol... If you're not into it the first few EPs, definitely pull the plug. It doesn't exactly go uphill from there.

It's not as bad as all that... Just way too :rolleyes: to the point of distraction.
I'm on episode 6. This is a genre in my wheelhouse and I should like it; physics, aliens, alien technology, but something is off with it. If I didn't know this was adapted from a book I would of thought this was an AI-generated show pumped out by Streamberry's quantam computer.
Watched the first episode last night and it grabbed my attention. But yeah if the plot points start going off the proverbial rails (which I can see happening after the setup in the first episode) I can see getting annoyed.

Watched the HBO documentary about Alex Jones over the weekend with my wife. My wife knew very little about Jones and what happened at Sandy Hook so it was a tough watch for her and she hated Jones by the end. I thought the documentary was done pretty well and stayed narrow with its scope. I say that because I was never confused and the time flew by. Jones definitely doesn't look good and appears to struggle with actual reality and human emotion juxtaposed against his show's "reality."

7/10

Last edited:
Season 2 of Tokyo Vice started slow but boy did it pick up, I'm looking forward to the Season finale this Thursday.
i am glad that you posted this because i did not know that it was out and i liked season 1 so go tell your grandma you are a brohan on that one take that to the bank

I think we wrapped 3 Body etc. no idea, tbh... because it just seemed to end.

We restarted Outer Range... Got through the first 2 EPs for the 2nd time. Interesting start, but starting to look like a network style show in terms of the direction I'm guessing it goes.

We restarted Outer Range... Got through the first 2 EPs for the 2nd time. Interesting start, but starting to look like a network style show in terms of the direction I'm guessing it goes.
I watched a couple episodes but it just didn't pull me in. I keep forgetting about it to start it back up again.

Wife and I started Deadloch last night on Prime and we are hooked after the first episode. It's an Australian Crime/Comedy. Great mix of humor and drama and great characters. It's rare one episode can hook me so fast. Hopefully it holds up.
Just finished this, I loved it but thought the finale was kinda meh. Fun show and characters, and I love the slang.

The use of the c-word as a casual insult in other countries is fantastic. I wanna use "F-word up, c-word!" daily so bad.

Last edited:
I had read the books and showed my 15yo son the previews and he thought it looked cool, so we watched together, and my wife joined in. They were pretty into it, and my wife was totally shocked at the Panama Canal scene, I had completely forgotten that from the book. Unfortunately, mentally gearing up for a potential alien war 400 years away isn't a good way to end a season and they were disappointed too. My son was like, "we didn't even get to see the aliens!?"

I will say that 3BP introduced some interesting concepts in this and the next couple books that I don't think I'd seen in a lot of other SciFi. I'm curious if they're going to get enough interest after the first season for the investment in future seasons.

Has anyone watched The Regime on Max. Two episodes in and I kinda like it but that may be just because of Kate Winslet, who is great in it. A lot of weird things going on so not sure where it's going. It is beautiful visually. It has a little bit of a Terry Gilliam vibe at times.

Has anyone watched The Regime on Max. Two episodes in and I kinda like it but that may be just because of Kate Winslet, who is great in it. A lot of weird things going on so not sure where it's going. It is beautiful visually.
I saw the trailer and it definitely has great visual appeal, but I haven't started watching it. If you stick with it please write your full assessment here.

I watched it, it held my attention. Season 2 is out in May, I'll try it out.

The Signal (Netflix) is a German limited series, just 4 episodes long. It's essentially a long movie. I'm 3 episodes in and interested to see how it ends - this could have been a really crappy 8-episode show, but at 4 episodes, it's not too rambly.

Has anyone watched The Regime on Max. Two episodes in and I kinda like it but that may be just because of Kate Winslet, who is great in it. A lot of weird things going on so not sure where it's going. It is beautiful visually. It has a little bit of a Terry Gilliam vibe at times.
GF loves it. I’m luke warm. Winslet is very good.

finished Masters of the air tonight, I thought it was an amazing series even though it was one of the most depressing shows I've watched in a while. It dawned on me at the end that part of what made Band of Brothers so great was the real life interviews with the men of Easy Company and sadly it hit home at the end of this series when they showed pictures of some of those portrayed in Masters in that our Hero's from WW2 are dead with roughly only 100,000 or so still alive.

I plan to watch the Bloody 100th starting tomorrow (also on Apple TV) for the documentary version of masters of the air.

Yeah they kind of lost their way for a few episodes. Trying to tell too many story lines, several plotlines left hanging with little-to-no closure.

I thought the Rosenthal storyline could have carried the second half of the story. Imagine a MoTA finale that has Rosy as a prosecutor at the Nuremberg trials, alongside his prosecutor wife (she was a WAVE, they met on the voyage over to Germany postwar.)

Robert "Rosie" Rosenthal, a highly decorated World War II pilot and Nuremberg prosecutor, died April 20 in White Plains, N.Y. He was 89. Here is the New York Times obituary. The obiturary says that Rosenthal was a 25-year-old newly minted attorney fresh out of Brooklyn Law School when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. He enlisted the day after the attacks, passing up a job at a Manhattan law firm. Rosie flew 52 missions over Germany as a bomber pilot, twice survived being shot down and won 16 decorations, including the Distinguished Service Cross for "extraordinary heroism," according to the Times. He returned to his law firm (the name of which, alas, the Times never mentions) but soon left to join the U.S. team prosecuting Nazis at Nuremberg. Heartwarming detail: On the ship over to Germany, he met another lawyer on the prosecution team, Phillis Heller, whom he married in Nuremberg. The Times obituary quote Rosenthal on his feelings about the Nuremberg trials: "Seeing these strutting conquerors after they were sentenced — powerless, pathetic and preparing for the hangman — was the closure I needed. Justice had overtaken evil. My war was over."

Coulda woulda shoulda. Band of Brothers was a singular event, we'll never see a WW2 miniseries that surpasses it. Hanks and Co took so much care to simply tell the Veterans stories, without embellishment or wrapped up in nostalgia, without glorifying war or slipping into jingoism. I have so much respect and admiration for the Easy Company veterans, and the impact they had on thousands of WW2 Veterans and their families. Because of them, Grandfathers all over the country began talking about what they had been through, after carrying that alone for nearly 60 years.

GF loves it. I’m luke warm. Winslet is very good.
You don’t really care for the main characters but the premise is interesting and Winsley is as you said very good.

I had read the books and showed my 15yo son the previews and he thought it looked cool, so we watched together, and my wife joined in. They were pretty into it, and my wife was totally shocked at the Panama Canal scene, I had completely forgotten that from the book. Unfortunately, mentally gearing up for a potential alien war 400 years away isn't a good way to end a season and they were disappointed too. My son was like, "we didn't even get to see the aliens!?"

I will say that 3BP introduced some interesting concepts in this and the next couple books that I don't think I'd seen in a lot of other SciFi. I'm curious if they're going to get enough interest after the first season for the investment in future seasons.
I got curious about this and so I read up on the books a bit. (Note: I didn't actually read the books -- I just looked up reviews and summaries to see how the show compared to the source material).

I suppose this shouldn't have been surprising, but I learned that the books are are high-level "concept" sci-fi, and that the characters in the novels are just cardboard cutouts used to advance the plot so Cixin can explore his ideas. And of course, the characters in the books were apparently mostly or all Chinese. The result was that Netflix basically had to invent the characters more or less from whole cloth -- several characters in the show are mash-ups of assorted characters from the books, but it's not a one-to-one mapping or anything.

That explains why this series is so addictive despite being a typical Netflix production. The source material is genuinely interesting. It's just the "Netflix" part that blows. I know we're all shocked and amazed that the book might be better than the film adaptation, but still.

finished Masters of the air tonight, I thought it was an amazing series even though it was one of the most depressing shows I've watched in a while. It dawned on me at the end that part of what made Band of Brothers so great was the real life interviews with the men of Easy Company and sadly it hit home at the end of this series when they showed pictures of some of those portrayed in Masters in that our Hero's from WW2 are dead with roughly only 100,000 or so still alive.

I plan to watch the Bloody 100th starting tomorrow (also on Apple TV) for the documentary version of masters of the air.

Yeah they kind of lost their way for a few episodes. Trying to tell too many story lines, several plotlines left hanging with little-to-no closure.

I thought the Rosenthal storyline could have carried the second half of the story. Imagine a MoTA finale that has Rosy as a prosecutor at the Nuremberg trials, alongside his prosecutor wife (she was a WAVE, they met on the voyage over to Germany postwar.)

Robert "Rosie" Rosenthal, a highly decorated World War II pilot and Nuremberg prosecutor, died April 20 in White Plains, N.Y. He was 89. Here is the New York Times obituary. The obiturary says that Rosenthal was a 25-year-old newly minted attorney fresh out of Brooklyn Law School when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. He enlisted the day after the attacks, passing up a job at a Manhattan law firm. Rosie flew 52 missions over Germany as a bomber pilot, twice survived being shot down and won 16 decorations, including the Distinguished Service Cross for "extraordinary heroism," according to the Times. He returned to his law firm (the name of which, alas, the Times never mentions) but soon left to join the U.S. team prosecuting Nazis at Nuremberg. Heartwarming detail: On the ship over to Germany, he met another lawyer on the prosecution team, Phillis Heller, whom he married in Nuremberg. The Times obituary quote Rosenthal on his feelings about the Nuremberg trials: "Seeing these strutting conquerors after they were sentenced — powerless, pathetic and preparing for the hangman — was the closure I needed. Justice had overtaken evil. My war was over."

Coulda woulda shoulda. Band of Brothers was a singular event, we'll never see a WW2 miniseries that surpasses it. Hanks and Co took so much care to simply tell the Veterans stories, without embellishment or wrapped up in nostalgia, without glorifying war or slipping into jingoism. I have so much respect and admiration for the Easy Company veterans, and the impact they had on thousands of WW2 Veterans and their families. Because of them, Grandfathers all over the country began talking about what they had been through, after carrying that alone for nearly 60 years.
Just rewatched BoB for the first time since it came out. So, so much better as TV than Masters Air. But I got to thinking why... and it was all about the narrative structure allowing us to follow along and get to know those heroes from Easy. But then I wondered if Masters suffered in the same way that squadron suffered- where so many people were killed or lost, the real story just never got a chance to follow them. Dunno.

But it was amazing watching BoB again... Held up and then some, from the real people interviews and acting to the pacing and story arcs episode and season-wide. And all those actors! Didn't remember or even know that Hardy and Fassbemder were in it, let alone Jimmy Fallon.

Just rewatched BoB for the first time since it came out. So, so much better as TV than Masters Air. But I got to thinking why... and it was all about the narrative structure allowing us to follow along and get to know those heroes from Easy. But then I wondered if Masters suffered in the same way that squadron suffered- where so many people were killed or lost, the real story just never got a chance to follow them. Dunno.

But it was amazing watching BoB again... Held up and then some, from the real people interviews and acting to the pacing and story arcs episode and season-wide. And all those actors! Didn't remember or even know that Hardy and Fassbemder were in it, let alone Jimmy Fallon.
That is exactly what happened, they died at an alarming rate. Basically America said we have an endless supply of pilots and bombs and we can withstand losing crews. The bloody hundredth gives more insight into what went on with some historical video as well, sadly it's not a good docuementary on it's own and you really have to have watched masters of the air to get anything out of it.

Watched the HBO documentary about Alex Jones over the weekend with my wife. My wife knew very little about Jones and what happened at Sandy Hook so it was a tough watch for her and she hated Jones by the end. I thought the documentary was done pretty well and stayed narrow with its scope. I say that because I was never confused and the time flew by. Jones definitely doesn't look good and appears to struggle with actual reality and human emotion juxtaposed against his show's "reality."

7/10
My wife watched this. She knew nothing about Alex Jones at all. She has lost all faith in humanity because of it.

Not the 487626 documentaries she's watched about cults, murder and general horror..... just the 30% of people that think he's right.

7/10
My wife watched this. She knew nothing about Alex Jones at all. She has lost all faith in humanity because of it.

Not the 487626 documentaries she's watched about cults, murder and general horror..... just the 30% of people that think he's right.
Propagandists know three things:
1. The easiest lie to tell is the one people want to believe is the truth
2. The bigger the lie the more likely it'll be accepted
3. Repetition of the lie also increases the likelihood of acceptance

3 episodes into 3 Body Problem. Not sure what to think. Seems "OK" I guess.
Two episodes in after last night and same. My wife is ready to bail after too much of the "game" scenes.

It oddly reminds me of Foundation.

Certainly not the "Sci-fi Game of Thrones" unless we are talking about the final season only.
I think what's frustrating is that there are signs of it being a decent show. I don't hate the plot and I think the late 1960s China scenes are pretty good in like a Man in the High Castle kind of way, but it definitely feels like it's going to go off the rails like "The OA" did.

3 episodes into 3 Body Problem. Not sure what to think. Seems "OK" I guess.
Two episodes in after last night and same. My wife is ready to bail after too much of the "game" scenes.

It oddly reminds me of Foundation.

Certainly not the "Sci-fi Game of Thrones" unless we are talking about the final season only.
I think what's frustrating is that there are signs of it being a decent show. I don't hate the plot and I think the late 1960s China scenes are pretty good in like a Man in the High Castle kind of way, but it definitely feels like it's going to go off the rails like "The OA" did.
Just watched the pilot. The edit pacing within each scene is brutally slow. They could have helped the actors out just by tightening that up. Agree with all the previous comments that the London crew is beyond poorly cast. I will finish it but very underwhelmed so far.

Again... If you're not "in" on 3 Body after 2 or 3 EPs, it only gets goofier and more eye-rolly worse as it progresses. It has some big-picture interesting ideas throughout, but lots and lots of problems in telling it ranging from common sense human behavior to pacing.

Eg- nice head! Wait...what? Nice suit! But no need for a matching hat or hood. Autonomous car control, but not so much with planes and other cars. Etc, etc...

Lol... Ivan said it well and tried to warn us. But I know- like me with Ivan- despite anything I say, you'll all still finish 3 Body.

• Laughing
Reactions: Zow

I got curious about this and so I read up on the books a bit. (Note: I didn't actually read the books -- I just looked up reviews and summaries to see how the show compared to the source material).

I suppose this shouldn't have been surprising, but I learned that the books are are high-level "concept" sci-fi, and that the characters in the novels are just cardboard cutouts used to advance the plot so Cixin can explore his ideas. And of course, the characters in the books were apparently mostly or all Chinese. The result was that Netflix basically had to invent the characters more or less from whole cloth -- several characters in the show are mash-ups of assorted characters from the books, but it's not a one-to-one mapping or anything.

That explains why this series is so addictive despite being a typical Netflix production. The source material is genuinely interesting. It's just the "Netflix" part that blows. I know we're all shocked and amazed that the book might be better than the film adaptation, but still.
I was laughing out loud at the ending with the fate of a certain character that rhymes with Schmill . Like what was the point of him and why was he a main character? I liked it but it was dumb. So many wtf moments. Can’t wait till season 2!

I was laughing out loud at the ending with the fate of a certain character that rhymes with Schmill . Like what was the point of him and why was he a main character? I liked it but it was dumb. So many wtf moments. Can’t wait till season 2!
Question I wonder is.. Are they going to jump 400 years, and thus the characters we know are gone.. Or is season two going to be another long drawn out story? :shrug:

I still don't know if 3BP is good or not. Read me the premise prior to watching, I'd have thought debating between 8 or 9. Now I'm trying to justify watching the first season. It isn't terrible but it also isn't good.

Finished up S1... Really enjoyed it. Ranging from cookoo crazy plot lines/twists and characters to nicely done family drama and everything in-between.

Iron Claw was aight. Depressing, but everyone probably knew that going in.

Dad made me remember I need that FBI
show season three asap. Is it still canceled?

Users who are viewing this thread