What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tennis: Australian Open - Who opens the new season with a bang (1 Viewer)

This is my exact problem with it - after watching these two for 2-3 hours and 4 sets I can only conclude one thing - Federer sucked balls - Del Potro didn't show me much other than some big first serves.  I'm not emotionally invested in Fed's GS total like Dentist.  I'll think Fed is GOAT even if Nadal manages to pass his GS total.  So, I don't really care if Nadal wins in the semis and I fully expect him to.
I hate goat talk. Tennis has changed immeasurably over time. Hand them old standard issue wood rackets in their primes and Mac slices and dices Fed to pieces, easily and repeatedly set after set after set. Arm them with today's howitzers and Mac is blown away. No real idea how Fed deals with Sampras serving and volleying at his best, but mostly likely he has no more answer than Agassi did, who was an even better returner.

In the build up to that farce of a fight we had last week, Mayweather was described as best p4p, best at 147 all time, yadayada. I pointed out Hearns peaked at 147 and the educated here immediately agreed Hearns crushes Money. Federer fans barely listen. It's annoying. I do love the guy. He is having the best career of any male tennis player in history. No question. He is this era's greatest player and no one on the radar is catching him. The greatest overall tennis ever played is happening currently when everyone is healthy. That makes a strong argument, but I still hate it because of the td;dr above. 

Also, I had a unit on Del Potro... lol

After rewatching the high/lowlights and listening to Federer's post match comments, as disappointing as the result was, it was far better for him to lose last night then to slip by and advance to get pwned by Ralph.

I hope delpo wins.   Nadal really is beatable on hard court, just look at the warm up tournaments.  But he's played no one, and this is really the only difficult match he'll face. The final is a lock barring injury.  It'll really be a gift slam for Ralph if he gets it, and that's super annoying

Roger demolished nadal this morning in Shanghai.

really proved to me that if Roger hadn't hurt his back that he would've pwned Ralph at the uso and that Ralph sure got lucky there.

really fast match, Federer served lights out.

Hope this carries into the wtf tournament, would love to see Roger grab one more there

I doubt Roger can level the h2h vs nadal.. But man if he avoids clay like he should... Maybe it could end up being a significantly less black mark.   It already looks so much better 15-23 than 10-23

Roger demolished nadal this morning in Shanghai.

really proved to me that if Roger hadn't hurt his back that he would've pwned Ralph at the uso and that Ralph sure got lucky there.

really fast match, Federer served lights out.

Hope this carries into the wtf tournament, would love to see Roger grab one more there
Roger is 13-10 against Nadal lifetime on non-clay surfaces.

Roger is 13-10 against Nadal lifetime on non-clay surfaces.
Yup, tho this season is what turned that around.

When it was 23-10  of their 33 matches a ridiculous 15 had been on clay.

If there is one thing that is undeniable, it's that if you wanted one guy to play with your life on the line, and you choose the guy and court, you take Ralph on clay

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone see that Roddick threw away nearly all his trophies? (kept the US Open cup) 

I did the same thing after HS, threw away a couple state titles and all the rest. No regrets.  :thumbup:

Nadal and Cilic have a pretty good match going at the AO.  Sets one a piece and 3-3 in the 3rd.

Seems like the only way we don’t get Rafa-Roger in the final is if Cilic wins here or Berdych beats Fed in his quarterfinal.  They both have what appear to be walkovers in the semis.

Cilic with so many unforced errors.  I know Rafa puts a ridiculous amount of topspin on the ball but come on man.

Also, it seems to me that Rafa should tone down his celebration after points and save that energy.

Ralph quit.  Tournament is a success.  However, it would be smart of Federer to grab number 20 now.  He passed on an opportunity like this at the 14 uso  because of cilic.  Both semifinals are going to be a joke even if byedych were to upset

#19, unseeded, #6 -- Fed's worst-case path to the title looks pretty good.  (Though Chung might actually be his toughest potential match.)

Got to work expecting to see Nadal won - was the injury a factor?  Cilic looked liked the better player most of the match but was a mental midget at times with so many unforced errors.  Hoping Fed finishes this one off.
He was done to start the 5th and tried first 2 games. Cilic was hitting it great - would have been a awesome set. 

Nadal should probably start thinking about abandoning playing on hard courts or at the very least really limiting the amount of hard court tourneys he plays. He should just skip the Aussie Open moving forward and focus on the clay court season, win another French and hope for the best on grass. If he feels good towards the second half of the year, he can a handful of hard court tourneys and the US Open.

TenTimes said:
You guys calling Chung a walkover really should watch him play. 
I’ll admit to seeing very little of his play but when you have a guy in his first GS semi ever against the GOAT I think it’s fair to say he’s a huge underdog and I’d be shocked if he wins.  

TenTimes said:
You guys calling Chung a walkover really should watch him play. 
I'm sure he could beat Federer..  i mean Tiafoe took Roger to 5 sets at the USO.

But when you look at the guy's track record, it's really hard to see him winning.

I'd be pretty surprised if it was anything other than Cilic v. Federer in the final and that match should be in Fed's favor.. but Cilic could definitely win

I've watched each of Chung's matches since the 3rd round.  Djokovic was hurting but it was also no fluke that this kid beat him, he's got game. I don't think he'll beat Federer but also didn't think he'd beat Djokovic. It's going to be a fun semi. 

I was wrong, Chung is looking like a walkover after 1 set. It was a decent run though. 
What’s concerning for him is it just seemed like he quit.  Maybe his foot issue was limiting his movement but after the first 5-6 games he looked horrible.

Pretty big match for Roger tonight.  He probably doesn't feel the pressure but he should.  Barring injury, Ralph is going to get another fo in may which will put him on 17.  Roger needs to keep the gap at 4.   If he loses tonight then the pressure mounts to win Wimbledon again.  Right now with novak out (I doubt he does any damage this year)Murray out he won't be a factor this year, and Stan isn't well.. There is zerocompetition until a young person steps up.   Who are you gonna pick in a major this year other than Ralph or Roger again barring a real injury to either

Pretty big match for Roger tonight.  He probably doesn't feel the pressure but he should.  Barring injury, Ralph is going to get another fo in may which will put him on 17.  Roger needs to keep the gap at 4.   If he loses tonight then the pressure mounts to win Wimbledon again.  Right now with novak out (I doubt he does any damage this year)Murray out he won't be a factor this year, and Stan isn't well.. There is zerocompetition until a young person steps up.   Who are you gonna pick in a major this year other than Ralph or Roger again barring a real injury to either
I feel like the distance in majors between Roger and Rafa isn’t that big of deal provided that Rafa is only winning the French.

No excuses for Roger tonight though, he hasn’t dropped a set and barely broke a sweat in the semis, he needs to crush Cilic. 20 is a pretty amazing fest. Unreal...cough, cough...that Roger is playing so well at his age.

I feel like the distance in majors between Roger and Rafa isn’t that big of deal provided that Rafa is only winning the French.

No excuses for Roger tonight though, he hasn’t dropped a set and barely broke a sweat in the semis, he needs to crush Cilic. 20 is a pretty amazing fest. Unreal...cough, cough...that Roger is playing so well at his age.
Well Ralph can win any major, maybe not Wimbledon anymore.  I mean he won the uso last year because Roger hurt his back and there was no competition left.  It could happen again and he's only 31 and is delaying marriage and kids in the relentless pursuit of Roger.   Make no mistake about it, I think Roger needs 22 majors to beat out Ralph now in this odd no competition era, which could last 12 to 24 more months

Caroline Wozniacki wins the Australian Open for her first ever grand slam title. She also regains the World #1 ranking for the first time in six years. So cool.

Caroline Wozniacki wins the Australian Open for her first ever grand slam title. She also regains the World #1 ranking for the first time in six years. So cool.
I was glad to see her win. Intense match, crazy number of breaks.

She's super hot.

These ladies need to take advantage before the goat comes back this summer

I watched the Wozniacki match early on when she saved some match points, great comeback.

So far Chung and his blisters from hell have put up more of a fight than Cilic vs. Federer through 1. #20 incoming it appears, Fed is just on another level.

If I could have any shot in the history of tennis, serve or groundstroke, it would be Federer's backhand.

It's a thing of beauty and my favorite groundstroke to watch since Kafelnikov's backhand (favorite serve to watch is/was obviously Pete's to this day).

I could never hit a backhand and have always admired those who could.

Users who are viewing this thread