What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrell Davis, HOF Candidate (1 Viewer)

12 times since 1992 has an RB led the league with over 1700 yards. (including this year and not counting 2004 when Curtis Martin had 1697 yards.

There has only been two years since 1991 in which an RB has not scored at least 15 TD's.

TD had a monster 1998 but he really didn't break any trends outside of that.
How many RBs went over 1,700 rushing yards AND scored at least 15 touchdowns in the same season? Terrell Davis did it twice.
33 times a RB averaged over 105 rushing yards per game and scored 14+ TDs: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/ozVzkEight players, including TD, have done it twice. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/HNt8E
Okay, but how about 1,700 yards in a season and at least 15 TDs, which was the benchmark we were discussing?
That's what he's doing. He's just normalizing the stats to per game (roughly) to account for the 14 game season.

12 times since 1992 has an RB led the league with over 1700 yards. (including this year and not counting 2004 when Curtis Martin had 1697 yards.

There has only been two years since 1991 in which an RB has not scored at least 15 TD's.

TD had a monster 1998 but he really didn't break any trends outside of that.
How many RBs went over 1,700 rushing yards AND scored at least 15 touchdowns in the same season? Terrell Davis did it twice.
33 times a RB averaged over 105 rushing yards per game and scored 14+ TDs: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/ozVzkEight players, including TD, have done it twice. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/HNt8E
Okay, but how about 1,700 yards in a season and at least 15 TDs, which was the benchmark we were discussing?
I give you the fact that TD has some impressive stats. Barry Sanders never had 1700/15. Eric Dickerson had 1 season of 1700/15. Walter Payton never had 1700/15. Earl Campbell never had 1700/15. Jim Brown never had 1700/15. OJ had 1 season of 1700/15. Marshall Faulk never had 1700/15. Thurman never had 1700/15. And finally, Emmitt had TWO years out of four in which he had 1700/15.

What does this mean? It means that we can manipulate these stats all night to try and make a convincing argument. My own personal feeling is that TD falls short. Earl Campbell made it because he won three rushing titles his first three years(two more than Davis). I just do not think that the Hall is going to award a 4 year career as being worthy. As far as longevity, Jim Marshall is not in and he played 270 straight games at DE.
I also don't think they will, but he played for seven seasons, not four.
I stand corrected. I didn't specify four complete seasons. TD only played 17 games total his last three years which only adds more weight to his HOF value being front loaded. TD, realistically, had 4 years of Hall material. Compared to the names that I mentioned earlier, TD falls short. TD had 4 years over 1100 yards. Barry had 10. 9 of those were over 1300 yards. Jim brown won 8 rushing titles, TD won 1. Emmitt had 18 td's or more in 3 out of 4 years. TD had more than 18 td's once.

TD just didn't do enough to warrant induction. I personally would have a hard time voting for Shaun Alexander and his career is pretty impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
should Priest Holmes also be in the Hall of Fame?

i haven't done research comparing them but I would think that they have similar stats. on the looks of it I'm not sure if Priest belongs.
Holmes is an interesting case. Stats-wise, he's very similar to TD, but he doesn't have the post-season accomplishments. OTOH, that's not his fault, as he was incredible in the only post-season game he played for with the Chiefs. Still, Davis was a huge part of two SB champs, and Holmes doesn't have that to add to his resume.Holmes also played behind that great Chiefs line. I'm not sure which OL was better -- both were awesome run blocking units -- but I suspect history will remember Holmes running behind two HOFers and Davis none (after Zimmerman retired). I'm not saying that's fair or right, but that's just what I think will happen.
Holmes has a similar statistical profile, but Davis has two SB more SB rings (I'm not counting Holmes' ring in Baltimore because he was a backup), one more SBMVP, 1 more AP OPoY, and a league MVP.In my mind, there are three arguments for Davis's candidacy. The first is his statistical dominance, the second is his postseason dominance, and the third is his awards and honors. Without all three, his position would be pretty shaky... but when you combine the three, it amounts to a very solid candidacy. If you look at the RBs who have as many top-5 finishes in key statistical categories, you find that Davis consistently finishes in the "HoF-caliber tier". If you look at the players (regardless of position) who have Davis' postseason resume, you find that Davis consistently finishes in the "HoF-caliber tier". If you look at the players (regardless of position) who have Davis's trophy case (league MVP, SB MVP, 2x PoY, 3x 1AP), you'll find that Davis consistently finishes in the "HoF-caliber tier".

If Chris Johnson rushes for 1500 yards next year and the Titans win the Super Bowl, and he promptly pulls a Robert Smith and retires, would he be a hall of famer?

I can't imagine many people would say yes to that, but it would give him every bit as much a claim to it.

What if the Vikings win the Super Bowl this year on the legs of a good playoff run by Adrian Peterson, and then he retires at the end of the year. Is he a hall of famer then?
If Chris Johnson rushes for 1500 yards next year, he'll still be 1 first-team AP All Pro behind Davis, 1 League MVP behind Davis, and likely 1 Offensive PoY behind Davis (because 1500 yards next year won't win him an OPoY award). He may or may not match Davis's SBMVP, but there's no way in hell he's matching Davis's postseason dominance. Terrible comparison- that's like asking of Davis would be a HoFer if you stripped away 25% of his awards, half of his career, 1 SB ring, and his defining characteristic (the postseason dominance). No, Davis wouldn't be if you did that. At the same time, if you took away half of Marino's passing yards, he probably wouldn't be a HoFer, either.
Nice article. I agree Davis is likely worthy of induction. However, I don't think you really did anything to argue against the main concern: career length.
Chase did mention that Davis was 14th in "career yards over 1,000" and 8th in his RB dominance metric (which rewards career length).
Fair point Gonzobill5. Let me state that I think statistically Davis belongs in the HOF. His longevity argument doesn't bother me. I think the ZBS/Shanahan/Gibbs/Portis-Anderson-Gary questions are much more damaging, and I'm not sure where I stand on the line. Many HOFers play with great teammates and in good systems, but we can't just ignore that TD was in a great system.
Why can't we? We always do it when we're talking about Ken Anderson, Joe Montana, and Steve Young, don't we? Or does everyone think it's a coincidence that the three QBs who learned the WCO under Bill Walsh all wind up ranking among the top 7 QBs in history?

TD had 4 years over 1100 yards. Barry had 10. 9 of those were over 1300 yards. Jim brown won 8 rushing titles, TD won 1. Emmitt had 18 td's or more in 3 out of 4 years. TD had more than 18 td's once.TD just didn't do enough to warrant induction. I personally would have a hard time voting for Shaun Alexander and his career is pretty impressive.
You make a very, very compelling argument that Terrell Davis was no Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, or Emmitt Smith. Of course, since those are widely considered the 3 greatest RBs of all time (maybe throw Walter Peyton and O.J. Simpson into the mix for good measure), that's not a particularly damning referendum on his HoF candidacy. That'd be like saying "Marvin Harrison only had 8 1,000 yard seasons, while Jerry Rice had 14, so clearly Marvin Harrison isn't a HoFer!"There are plenty of backs whose careers were nowhere near as spectacular as Sanders/Brown/Smith but who were still Hall of Fame caliber backs.

Davis belongs in the HOF ahead of guys like Martin and Bettis.
This is really the crux of the issue. I personally think Martin and Bettis are more deserving, and I think longevity is underrated in general.In Martin's best 4 seasons, he had 6161 rushing yards, 41 rushing TDs, 1085 receiving yards, and 3 receiving TDs... 7246/44 total.In Davis's best 4 seasons, he had 6413 rushing yards, 56 rushing TDs, 1181 receiving yards, and 5 receiving TDs... 7594/61 total.Clearly, Davis's numbers were considerably better. But how to account for the difference in their situations? Davis played in the excellent Denver ZBS with multiple HOFers (Elway and Zimmerman so far with Sharpe a lock to make it IMO) and for a likely HOF coach... Martin had 2 of his best 4 seasons for Parcells, another likely HOF coach, but his other 2 were for Herman Edwards... and I'm not aware Martin played with any HOF teammates.Then there is Davis's postseason performance, which Martin can't touch. But Martin was no slouch - 1100 YFS and 8 TDs in 10 postseason games. I certainly don't think he was the reason his teams didn't have more postseason success.Here is the rub. Other than Davis's best 4 seasons, he posted 1293 YFS and 4 TDs over 3 seasons. Compare that to Martin's 10,184 YFS and 56 TDs over 7 seasons. That is a huge value to Martin's teams that more than offsets Davis's advantages IMO. I don't think it's even close.IMO Martin is definitely deserving and Davis definitely isn't.I think Bettis is borderline, but I think he gets in.In Bettis's best 4 seasons, he had 5866/33 rushing and only 573/2 receiving... 6439/35 total. In his other 9 seasons, he totaled 8672/59 (rushing and receiving). It's harder to justify him over Davis, but I can see the argument. Regardless of the merit, I expect he'll get in.

...IMO Martin is definitely deserving and Davis definitely isn't.I think Bettis is borderline, but I think he gets in....
you could of just said "I value compilers more than clearly dominant postseasons" and saved some characters.ETA: TD's average playoff game: 25.5 carries, 142 yards (5.59 YPC), 1.5 TD's.CM's average playoff game: 18 carries, 79.5 yards (4.37 YPC), 0.8 TD's.

...IMO Martin is definitely deserving and Davis definitely isn't.I think Bettis is borderline, but I think he gets in....
you could of just said "I value compilers more than clearly dominant players" and saved some characters.
And you could have just said "I value my opinion and don't respect the opinions of those who disagree." :fishing:Curtis Martin is not merely a compiler. That argument can be made for Bettis, but not for Martin. But based on your post, there probably is no need to discuss it further.

you could of just said "I value compilers more than clearly dominant postseasons" and saved some characters.
Haha, so true, although Bettis was much more of a compiler than Martin ever was. I wouldn't call Martin a compiler; Bettis, yes, obviously. And as usual, SSOG is bringing the win. :fishing: :)

TD had 4 years over 1100 yards. Barry had 10. 9 of those were over 1300 yards. Jim brown won 8 rushing titles, TD won 1. Emmitt had 18 td's or more in 3 out of 4 years. TD had more than 18 td's once.TD just didn't do enough to warrant induction. I personally would have a hard time voting for Shaun Alexander and his career is pretty impressive.
You make a very, very compelling argument that Terrell Davis was no Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, or Emmitt Smith. Of course, since those are widely considered the 3 greatest RBs of all time (maybe throw Walter Peyton and O.J. Simpson into the mix for good measure), that's not a particularly damning referendum on his HoF candidacy. That'd be like saying "Marvin Harrison only had 8 1,000 yard seasons, while Jerry Rice had 14, so clearly Marvin Harrison isn't a HoFer!"There are plenty of backs whose careers were nowhere near as spectacular as Sanders/Brown/Smith but who were still Hall of Fame caliber backs.
I agree completely that an individual does not have to be as spectacular as the greatest at their position. If you look at my previous posts, I chose a rather large cross section of TD's peers. The reason that I picked Dickerson, Thomas, Sanders, Smith, Payton, Faulk, Campbell, and to a degree, Simpson and Brown, is because they are contemporaries. Simpson and Brown played 14 game schedules,(Brown's first four seasons were 12 game seasons.), which makes their stats more impressive. I have to admit that your analogy is a bad one as I think that Marvin could fall into the Cris Carter, Andre Reed, TD void. He had great stats on a great team in an era when stats are inflated. Football is a violent sport and like it or not, I tend to think that the voters are going to give bonus points to a player who could dominate over an extended period of time.

I'll say this, which I posted in the comments of the blog post. It will irk me quite a bit when Floyd Little gets into the HOF and Davis does not. I'm not sure Davis should be inducted, but he definitely should be in ahead of Floyd Little.

I'll say this, which I posted in the comments of the blog post. It will irk me quite a bit when Floyd Little gets into the HOF and Davis does not. I'm not sure Davis should be inducted, but he definitely should be in ahead of Floyd Little.
I totally agree with your statement. If the HOF is so intent on an old school RB they should try Cookie Gilchrist. Either way, I do not see how either one did more than TD did. If the NFL HOF wants an old school player to induct try Tommy Nobis, Tombstone Jackson, or Randy Gradishar.

you could of just said "I value compilers more than clearly dominant players" and saved some characters.
And you could have just said "I value my opinion and don't respect the opinions of those who disagree." :goodposting: Curtis Martin is not merely a compiler. That argument can be made for Bettis, but not for Martin. But based on your post, there probably is no need to discuss it further.
I don't know how you can go from "Clearly, Davis's numbers were considerably better" and "Then there is Davis's postseason performance, which Martin can't touch" and end up with "Martin is definitely deserving and Davis definitely isn't." The only thing you offer to discount your above statements is that TD had better talent than CMartin, but of course you forget that Martin was on a SB team w/ NE and a NYJ team that played in the AFCCG (losing to TD & the Broncos, of course). Martin's teams were not devoid of talent either. No, the only way anyone can justify that Martin is clearly better than TD is to value a long, above average career, scant on recognition.Ask yourself this: in 20 years, who's feats will be remembered? TD will be forever enshrined in SB lore thanks to his 3 TD game vs GB, his NFL MVP, his 2k season, his 3 first team all-pro's. All we will remember CMartin for is winning rookie of the year and leading the league in rushing once.

And you could have just said "I value my opinion and don't respect the opinions of those who disagree." :bowtie: Curtis Martin is not merely a compiler. That argument can be made for Bettis, but not for Martin. But based on your post, there probably is no need to discuss it further.
I don't know how you can go from "Clearly, Davis's numbers were considerably better" and "Then there is Davis's postseason performance, which Martin can't touch" and end up with "Martin is definitely deserving and Davis definitely isn't." The only thing you offer to discount your above statements is that TD had better talent than CMartin, but of course you forget that Martin was on a SB team w/ NE and a NYJ team that played in the AFCCG (losing to TD & the Broncos, of course). Martin's teams were not devoid of talent either. No, the only way anyone can justify that Martin is clearly better than TD is to value a long, above average career, scant on recognition.Ask yourself this: in 20 years, who's feats will be remembered? TD will be forever enshrined in SB lore thanks to his 3 TD game vs GB, his NFL MVP, his 2k season, his 3 first team all-pro's. All we will remember CMartin for is winning rookie of the year and leading the league in rushing once.
Maybe I am pessimistic. I am not sure that people will remember Adrian and CJ in 20 years. We live in a what have you done for me lately world.

And you could have just said "I value my opinion and don't respect the opinions of those who disagree." :thumbdown: Curtis Martin is not merely a compiler. That argument can be made for Bettis, but not for Martin. But based on your post, there probably is no need to discuss it further.
Davis excelled for 4 seasons. He was better than Martin in those 4 seasons. But Martin played another 7 seasons beyond those 4 seasons, almost twice as many, in which he averaged 8 TDs and over 1400 YFS per season... and remember, these were his worst 7 seasons. Meanwhile, Davis played another 3 seasons, averaging less than 450 YFS and 2 TDs per season. Overall, Martin played 11 seasons and averaged 9 TDs and nearly 1600 YFS. That is amazing performance sustained over a very long period. I think that easily trumps Davis's accomplishments.And, yes, Martin played for some good teams. But there is a difference IMO in playing with HOF caliber teammates and good teammates... and a difference in playing for an "offensive genius" likely HOF coach throughout vs. a HOF coach for a few seasons and the likes of Herman Edwards the rest of the time.As for 20 years from now, I think you severely overestimate how much Davis will be remembered. Off the top of my head, a guy who is somewhat comparable is Sterling Sharpe. His career ended due to injury 15 years ago after 6 seasons, 3 of which he was 1st team All Pro. Who really remembers him much today? Granted, he didn't play on a team good enough to win two Super Bowls, through no fault of his own... so it's a bit different and Davis did more that will be remembered. But IMO Davis will simply be an interesting footnote 20 years from now. The RBs that will be remembered most vividly from his era will be Sanders, Smith, and Faulk... and probably Bettis, too, because of his popularity, because he played for the Steelers, and because he was a "big back" which is somewhat unusual (at least for sustained success). I think Martin will be remembered just as much as Davis, because 20 years from now he will still likely be in the top 10 (or close to it) all time in rushing yards and possibly YFS.

That's what he's doing. He's just normalizing the stats to per game (roughly) to account for the 14 game season.
maybe his software doesnt allow for searching with decimal points, but his query opened it up to people with 14 TDs and less than 1700 yards.Pretty sure it changes it to only 5 people having done it twice and knocks off quite a few from the list of 33.

And you could have just said "I value my opinion and don't respect the opinions of those who disagree." :)Curtis Martin is not merely a compiler. That argument can be made for Bettis, but not for Martin. But based on your post, there probably is no need to discuss it further.
I've mentioned before my favorite method of ranking players in HoF discussions- cumulative top-5 finishes. Davis actually has more of them in the RB-centric categories (carries, rushing yards, yards per carry, rushing TDs, yards from scrimmage, total TDs) than Martin, and Davis essentially did it in 4 seasons while Martin needed 11. While Martin may not be a compiler when compared to, say, Jerome Bettis, when you're comparing him to Terrell Davis he most certainly *WAS* a compiler. A compiler who, I might add, averaged a very uninspiring 4.0 yards per carry for his career, and who only finished in the top 10 in ypc ONCE (a tenth place finish, at that).To make a rather extreme argument, one could say that a replacement-level RB could average 3.9 yards per carry (the league average rushing attempt last year went for 4.2 yards). In that case, the only value that Martin added for his entire career over a revolving door of replacement RBs would be 351.8 yards. Using the same metric, Davis would have added 1158.5 yards over a replacement RB for his career. Even if you raise the bar for a replacement RB because Davis was in Denver... if you say a replacement RB would average 4.2 yards per carry in Denver (I'm not pulling that from thin air, that's Olandis Gary's actual ypc average in 1999), then Davis still winds up with 662 yards over replacement for his career- or essentially twice that of Curtis Martin. Martin accomplished a very impressive feat by lasting all those years and for all those carries, but Martin *DID NOT* accomplish anything particularly impressive with the carries that he received.Now, as I said, that's an extreme argument. I do believe that Curtis Martin is worthy of HoF induction, but he most certainly was a compiler (at least on a per-carry basis, if not on a per-season basis). His longevity is worth something, but if another RB (such as Davis) accomplished more than Martin did (not just in terms of top 5 finishes or ypc, but also in terms of awards and postseason accomplishments), then we shouldn't hold it against him that it took him fewer seasons to do so.

Davis excelled for 4 seasons. He was better than Martin in those 4 seasons. But Martin played another 7 seasons beyond those 4 seasons, almost twice as many, in which he averaged 8 TDs and over 1400 YFS per season... and remember, these were his worst 7 seasons. Meanwhile, Davis played another 3 seasons, averaging less than 450 YFS and 2 TDs per season. Overall, Martin played 11 seasons and averaged 9 TDs and nearly 1600 YFS. That is amazing performance sustained over a very long period. I think that easily trumps Davis's accomplishments.
right. You think that many above average, unspectacular seasons easily trumps clearly dominant performances. I get it. Not much more room for debate here, because we clearly disagree and will continue to do so.
And, yes, Martin played for some good teams. But there is a difference IMO in playing with HOF caliber teammates and good teammates... and a difference in playing for an "offensive genius" likely HOF coach throughout vs. a HOF coach for a few seasons and the likes of Herman Edwards the rest of the time.

As for 20 years from now, I think you severely overestimate how much Davis will be remembered. Off the top of my head, a guy who is somewhat comparable is Sterling Sharpe. His career ended due to injury 15 years ago after 6 seasons, 3 of which he was 1st team All Pro. Who really remembers him much today? Granted, he didn't play on a team good enough to win two Super Bowls, through no fault of his own... so it's a bit different and Davis did more that will be remembered. But IMO Davis will simply be an interesting footnote 20 years from now. The RBs that will be remembered most vividly from his era will be Sanders, Smith, and Faulk... and probably Bettis, too, because of his popularity, because he played for the Steelers, and because he was a "big back" which is somewhat unusual (at least for sustained success). I think Martin will be remembered just as much as Davis, because 20 years from now he will still likely be in the top 10 (or close to it) all time in rushing yards and possibly YFS.
Sterling Sharpe was never NFL MVP. He only played in two playoff games. Sterling Sharpe never reached a milestone like 2k rushing yards. Had Sharpe accomplished that, he would garner HOF credentials, IMO. As far as Sharpe or CMartin not playing on a team good enough to win a SB - how many SB's did Elway or Denver win w/o TD? How long did it take to win a playoff game after TD was hurt? Perhaps it's Terrell Davis who made Denver good, and not the other way around. TD was the catalyst for the Broncos winning back-to-back superbowls and ending the NFC's stranglehold on the Lombardi trophy...that much can never be denied and will never be forgotten.

Martin > Bettis/Davis > Barber > Alexander/Holmes/Lewis

Martin definitely should be in. Bettis/Davis have good arguments for and against, could go either way. Everyone else, forget it

And for those of you who suggest longevity shouldn't be a consideration...what is your threshold? 1 amazing year setting records and winning all awards? 2? There has to be some consideration to length of career.

And for those of you who suggest longevity shouldn't be a consideration...what is your threshold? 1 amazing year setting records and winning all awards? 2? There has to be some consideration to length of career.
I don't think there should be an exact threshold someone should reach to make it. Those kind of restrictions are foolish, IMO. And I am not saying longevity shouldn't be a consideration, ever. But every once in a while, a player is so great and so dominant for a short period of time, that is makes their lack of longevity not important. Terrell Davis was one of those players.

Idiot Boxer said:
:cry:Bo Jackson should be in the Hall Of Fame based on his performance in the Brian Bosworth game alone.

I think that, in general, longevity is criminally underrated.

Football is a violent sport. And the ability to sustain punishment without injury...and to recover from injury, when it happens, without a massive erosion of football skills...is a very meaningful characteristic in football. You can argue that it's a matter of "luck." And I wouldn't entirely disagree. But no more so than having been "lucky" enough to be born with godlike speed, inhuman strength, or otherworldly balance, instinct, and vision.

I, myself, might be a Hall of Famer had it not been for my frail physique, my sloth, my weakness, my timidity, my lack of football instincts, and my profound lack of work ethic. Ought I to be considered for inclusion despite my deficiencies that didn't allow me to perform for a long and productive football career? My deficiencies cost me 100% of a HOF football career. Davis's cost him...what, 75% of one?

I see nothing wrong with the idea that to be considered an all-time great, you must have possessed the unique set of physical attributes that enabled you to perform at an elite level for a long time. Davis, whether unlucky, unblessed, or simply "fragile", clearly had one of those physical attributes in pitifully short supply.

Should he be celebrated for his contributions in those amazing seasons he put together? Of course! That's why awards like MVP and first-team All-Pro exist. They are the highest awards offered to people who excel over the short run. The HOF is for those who excel over the long run, and Davis, for all his star burned brightly, just doesn't merit it.

I think that, in general, longevity is criminally underrated.Football is a violent sport. And the ability to sustain punishment without injury...and to recover from injury, when it happens, without a massive erosion of football skills...is a very meaningful characteristic in football. You can argue that it's a matter of "luck." And I wouldn't entirely disagree. But no more so than having been "lucky" enough to be born with godlike speed, inhuman strength, or otherworldly balance, instinct, and vision.I, myself, might be a Hall of Famer had it not been for my frail physique, my sloth, my weakness, my timidity, my lack of football instincts, and my profound lack of work ethic. Ought I to be considered for inclusion despite my deficiencies that didn't allow me to perform for a long and productive football career? My deficiencies cost me 100% of a HOF football career. Davis's cost him...what, 75% of one?I see nothing wrong with the idea that to be considered an all-time great, you must have possessed the unique set of physical attributes that enabled you to perform at an elite level for a long time. Davis, whether unlucky, unblessed, or simply "fragile", clearly had one of those physical attributes in pitifully short supply.Should he be celebrated for his contributions in those amazing seasons he put together? Of course! That's why awards like MVP and first-team All-Pro exist. They are the highest awards offered to people who excel over the short run. The HOF is for those who excel over the long run, and Davis, for all his star burned brightly, just doesn't merit it.
Well put! I disagree, but that is a well put argument against. I look at it kind of like an honor roll in school. You're either on it or you aren't. TD was on it. Just because he didn't attend "school" as long as others, doesn't mean he didn't earn the "honor roll".

Should he be celebrated for his contributions in those amazing seasons he put together? Of course! That's why awards like MVP and first-team All-Pro exist. They are the highest awards offered to people who excel over the short run. The HOF is for those who excel over the long run, and Davis, for all his star burned brightly, just doesn't merit it.
:lol:

For those not familiar with Doug Drinen's Approximate Value, here is a very abbreviated definition:

The main idea is very similar to another of Bill James' concoctions: Win Shares. The output and the goal of the Win Shares method are in some sense similar to those of the value approximation method: put a number on every player-season so that we can compare across years and across positions... Here's the main idea, from the Win Shares entry at wikipedia:

Win shares is a top-down approach which starts with the number of games a team won, and then attempts to assign credit to players, proportionally based on their statistics.
I'm not going to do exactly that, but I'm going to use the same idea...
There is a lot more in the link above, but this gives you the idea: assigning credit appropriately to players' for the their teams' success (or lack thereof). I'm not sure I completely agree with it, and like any comprehensive formula, one could probably argue various elements. But it exists and provides us with some comparative info and in theory normalizes to an extent for supporting cast.Davis's career AV is 80, which consisted of 70 points for the first 4 seasons and 10 points for the last 3.

Martin's career AV is 129. In his best 4 seasons in terms of rushing yards (the same 4 I used in a previous post in the thread), he totaled 53, considerably below Davis's best 4. But that means Martin's other 7 seasons totaled 76 AV. Martin was extremely consistent, totaling 10-15 AV in each of his first 10 seasons before falling off to 4 AV in his final season.

Bettis's career AV is 102. In his best 4 seasons in terms of rushing yards (the same 4 I used in a previous post in the thread), he totaled 48, last among these 3. So he totaled 54 in his other 9 seasons.

I must say that this discussion is leading me to rethink a bit on Bettis and Davis. At the start of the discussion, I was thinking Martin > Bettis > Davis, with the HOF cutoff line falling between Bettis and Davis. I am now leaning towards Martin > Davis > Bettis, with the HOF cutoff line falling between Martin and Davis.

So for the most part, great discussion. :lmao:

Over at P-F-R, we've been profiling the 25 semifinalists for induction.

John Randle

Roger Craig

Russ Grimm

Steve Tasker

Aeneas Williams

Art Modell

TD has been a lightning rod for discussion, so I thought I'd link to that post here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=5113

This past summer I set out to determine which running backs were the most statistically dominant in NFL history. Terrell Davis ranked as the 13th most dominant RB in regular season history, and when combined his superior post-season stats, the 8th most dominant RB overall. The other nine RBs in the top ten all are in the Hall of Fame or will be five years after they retire. Davis is a semifinalist for the fourth straight season since first becoming eligible, but he has never advanced past this stage. Davis is perhaps the most interesting player to analyze in this year's class. There are no QBs eligible for induction, and quarterbacks are the only players for whom more individual statistics are recorded than running backs. There's only one other eligible RB and he's a slam dunk. Davis has the rings and the hardware, typically all you need at the glamour positions to make the Hall. Marcus Allen and Emmitt Smith are the only other running backs with both an MVP from the Associated Press and a Super Bowl MVP. Yet, most NFL fans don't think Davis should be inducted. Why?

The common answer is that Davis' career was too short. Four great seasons does not a Hall of Famer make, or something like that. But consider the heights Davis reached: I ranked his 1998 season as the single greatest season any running back has ever had; he broke his own single-season record for most rushing yards gained in a regular and postseason combined. He already had the record because his 1997 season also ranks among the best five ever by a RB; he's the only player to ever rush for 2300 yards (including playoffs) in a season, and he's done it twice. Davis didn't have four great seasons and nothing else; he had two of the greatest seasons in NFL history, another excellent season, a very good year and another solid season. It's not the greatest Hall of Fame profile I've ever seen, but it seems as though Davis is held to a higher standard than other running backs.

From 1996 to 1998, Davis ranked in the top three in rushing yards and rushing TDs every year; that gives him six top-three finishes in those categories for his career. Marcus Allen and Tony Dorsett? Five each. Franco Harris? Four. John Riggins? Three. Larry Csonka? Two. Those last three -- Harris, Riggins and Csonka -- all won Super Bowl MVPs, and I've got no doubt that they don't all end up in Canton without those performances. But if carrying teams to titles got those guys into the HOF, why won't it work for Davis?

Probably because those guys also strung together a bunch of mediocre seasons. When Csonka retired, he ranked 6th in career rushing yards and 7th in career rushing touchdowns, and everyone in the top ten in rushing through that season wound up in the Hall of Fame. When Harris retired, he was third in both rushing yards and rushing scores. When Riggo hung 'em up, he was 4th in career rushing yards and trailed only Jim Brown in rushing touchdowns. TD? He retired as just the 30th leading rusher in NFL history, and was only 28th in rushing touchdowns.

But Davis was so dominant during his prime that he accomplished more in four seasons than most runners do in their whole careers. Occasionally, P-F-R writers calculate a stat called "yards over 1,000 rush yards" to measure RB dominance; all seasons with fewer than 1,000 rushing yards are eliminated, and the first 1,000 yards of every other season are subtracted from the total. So a 1200 yard season is worth half as much as a 1400-yard season. In this metric, Davis ranks 14th all-time, and ahead of such compilers as Jerome Bettis, Jamal Lewis, Corey Dillon, Fred Taylor and Eddie George.

Davis is also one of just 11 running backs with three 1500+ rushing yards seasons. He won two AP offensive player of the year awards, in addition to his one MVP and one SB MVP. Consider the list of other players with multiple AP OPOY awards: Marshall Faulk (3), Earl Campbell (3), Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice. If not for Sanders' 2,000 yard season in '97, Davis almost certainly would have finished his career with three AP OPOY awards.

Davis' statistical dominance is beyond reproach. That leaves just two questions. One of them concerns his longevity, or lack thereof. The common comparison cited for Davis is Gale Sayers, who also had a brilliant career at the same position cut short by knee injuries. Sayers had a fantastic record as a returner to add to his record, although Davis has the incredible post-season to add to his; still, comparing anyone to Sayers is a tough case to make because of the Kansas Comet's uniquely brilliant style of play. I think Canton houses another, better comparison for Davis backers: Earl Campbell.

Like Davis, Campbell was a workhorse, move-the-chains type of back who had a short but fantastic career. Let's compare the two player's careers through four seasons
The tables there are tough to format here, but the rest is available at link: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=5113
the problem with Davis is he is the one who's repeatedly telling us that he belongs in the HOF... :kicksrock: tooting your own horn with regards to HOF voting , never works..just ask Pete Rose..

I don't think TD did enough to get into the HOF..you should have to meet certain criteria, a certain number of rushes, games played, yards rushed, etc.

Martin > Bettis/Davis > Barber > Alexander/Holmes/Lewis Martin definitely should be in. Bettis/Davis have good arguments for and against, could go either way. Everyone else, forget it
I'd go more like this:Davis/Martin > Barber >>>>>>>>>>>>> Holmes/Alexander > Bettis >>>>>>> Lewis
Idiot Boxer said:
I think that longevity definitely lowers the dominance threshold. I think if an RB only averaged 800 yards per season, but he managed to do so for 30 years, I'd consider that HoF caliber. On the other hand, if an RB only played one season, but in that one season he rushed for 4,000 yards and 62 TDs, earning every major award along the way, then I'd consider that HoF-worthy, too. Neither would be as hall-worthy as the guys who combined longevity AND dominance, but those guys are the true rarities and not the standard, at least not at the RB position.

The Hall of Fame isn't an interesting discussion at all. Its an opinion poll and way too political a process. If it were up to me, I'd kick everyone out of the hall and rename it the hall of memorabilia or the football museum or something. The concept of profiling 25 semifinalists is something I'd steer a million miles away from.

should Priest Holmes also be in the Hall of Fame?i haven't done research comparing them but I would think that they have similar stats. on the looks of it I'm not sure if Priest belongs.
Holmes is an interesting case. Stats-wise, he's very similar to TD, but he doesn't have the post-season accomplishments. OTOH, that's not his fault, as he was incredible in the only post-season game he played for with the Chiefs. Still, Davis was a huge part of two SB champs, and Holmes doesn't have that to add to his resume.Holmes also played behind that great Chiefs line. I'm not sure which OL was better -- both were awesome run blocking units -- but I suspect history will remember Holmes running behind two HOFers and Davis none (after Zimmerman retired). I'm not saying that's fair or right, but that's just what I think will happen.
those two feel like they're in the same boat for me. What other RBs are eligible? Faulk is coming up shortly, right? No way either edges him. I don't foresee one going in and not the other.One annoying detractor to TD is Olandis Gary and then I believe undrafted record setting rookie Mike Anderson. They did so well playing the same position which makes me want to throw credit to the O-line and Shanny and take some away from TD.

Martin > Bettis/Davis > Barber > Alexander/Holmes/Lewis Martin definitely should be in. Bettis/Davis have good arguments for and against, could go either way. Everyone else, forget it
Bettis is a good amount higher than Davis for me. Still can't believe Alexander's career ended so abruptly, not sure where I stand there. Like Faulk(mentioned before) Martin is a lock. TD and Priest will struggle to get votes when those two are eligible

Bettis is a good amount higher than Davis for me. Still can't believe Alexander's career ended so abruptly, not sure where I stand there. Like Faulk(mentioned before) Martin is a lock. TD and Priest will struggle to get votes when those two are eligible
Bettis is miles behind Davis for me, even behind Barber and Alexander and Holmes. The guy posted 3.8 ypc or fewer NINE TIMES in his 13 year career.Here's a comparison between Bettis and Davis that I posted in another thread:
Here's a great comparison for you: both Bettis and Davis had 4 "great" seasons. In those 4 great seasons, Davis had 6413/56 rushing @ 4.8 ypc, and another 1181/5 receiving. In Bettis's four "great" seasons ('93, '96, '97, '00), he had 5866/33 rushing @ 4.4 ypc, and another 673/1 receiving. That's 0.4 more ypc, 1055 more yards, and 27 more TDs for Davis (in addition to all of the awards). So Davis's best four seasons clearly blow Bettis's out of the water. The difference between Davis and Bettis is that Bettis had 9 more mediocre-to-bad years to add to his stats outside of those 4 years. In his other 9 years, Bettis had 2135/7796/58 rushing and 876/1 receiving. That's 3.7 yards per carry. That's 866/8.4 a year rushing and 97 a year receiving. So you're essentially saying that if Terrell Davis had managed to hang on for 9 years after his injury and average 866/8 a year, then he'd be a Hall of Famer. If only Terrell Davis had some more truly mediocre-to-awful seasons to pad his career statistics.

(SSOG) Davis was surely more exciting but Bettis was the workhorse that so many teams have incorrectly said they had over the years. He epitomized that moniker-workhorse. I guess I appreciate that more.

One of the things that has always bothered me about the success of TD is the success of so many runners after him in that system. Runners who are clearly not elite backs. He is on the fence with me. He got the luxury of that system and playing with a HOF QB, and HOF TE, and an amazing WR in Rod Smith. It doesn't bother you that Olandis Gary was able to come in and rush for 1,159 yards in only twelve games after TD got hurt in 1999? I mean this was the year right after Davis' 2008 yard season. Gary also did this with Brian Griese at the helm, not John Elway. I think it is fair to say that that was a slight drop-off in talent. Still Gary's 96.6 yards per game would be better than all but two of Davis' career seasons.

As for your comparison with Earl Campbell, well I think there is no comparison. The Tyler Rose has more Offensive Player of the Year Awards (3-2), more MVPs (3-1) ((THREE MVPs)), more First team All-Pro (5-3), more Second Team All-Pro (3-0) and his four-year stretch matches up pretty well the TD stretch.

In yards per game, Campbell went 96.7, 106.1, 128.9, 81.8

Davis went 79.8, 96.1, 116.7, 125.5

It certainly appears that Campbell more than held his own despite playing on vastly inferior teams in terms of offensive talent during each's best four-year run. In fact if we rank them 1-4, Campbell averaged more yards per game than did TD in three of their four prime years. (And these are four concsecutive years. I could throw a later 1301 yard season in for Campbell to skew the results even more in his favor).

Of course, they both played more years as injuries caught up to them, the difference there is staggering. Campbell produced 2,950 more yards AND a first team All-Pro season.

Davis produced a mere 1,194 yards and was a non-factor in terms of League leaders.

Whether it be Offensive Player of the Years, MVPs, First Team All-Pros, etc. Campbell was simply the better RB. He is a CLEAR Hall of Famer. Davis is on the fence and I do not think he gets in.

Hunterbeer said:
One of the things that has always bothered me about the success of TD is the success of so many runners after him in that system. Runners who are clearly not elite backs. He is on the fence with me. He got the luxury of that system and playing with a HOF QB, and HOF TE, and an amazing WR in Rod Smith. It doesn't bother you that Olandis Gary was able to come in and rush for 1,159 yards in only twelve games after TD got hurt in 1999? I mean this was the year right after Davis' 2008 yard season. Gary also did this with Brian Griese at the helm, not John Elway. I think it is fair to say that that was a slight drop-off in talent. Still Gary's 96.6 yards per game would be better than all but two of Davis' career seasons.As for your comparison with Earl Campbell, well I think there is no comparison. The Tyler Rose has more Offensive Player of the Year Awards (3-2), more MVPs (3-1) ((THREE MVPs)), more First team All-Pro (5-3), more Second Team All-Pro (3-0) and his four-year stretch matches up pretty well the TD stretch.In yards per game, Campbell went 96.7, 106.1, 128.9, 81.8Davis went 79.8, 96.1, 116.7, 125.5It certainly appears that Campbell more than held his own despite playing on vastly inferior teams in terms of offensive talent during each's best four-year run. In fact if we rank them 1-4, Campbell averaged more yards per game than did TD in three of their four prime years. (And these are four concsecutive years. I could throw a later 1301 yard season in for Campbell to skew the results even more in his favor). Of course, they both played more years as injuries caught up to them, the difference there is staggering. Campbell produced 2,950 more yards AND a first team All-Pro season.Davis produced a mere 1,194 yards and was a non-factor in terms of League leaders.Whether it be Offensive Player of the Years, MVPs, First Team All-Pros, etc. Campbell was simply the better RB. He is a CLEAR Hall of Famer. Davis is on the fence and I do not think he gets in.
:goodposting:

Fair point Gonzobill5. Let me state that I think statistically Davis belongs in the HOF. His longevity argument doesn't bother me. I think the ZBS/Shanahan/Gibbs/Portis-Anderson-Gary questions are much more damaging, and I'm not sure where I stand on the line. Many HOFers play with great teammates and in good systems, but we can't just ignore that TD was in a great system. Here are the 25 modern era HOF RBs:

1styr Lstyr Name1988 2000 Thurman Thomas1989 1998 Barry Sanders1982 1997 Marcus Allen1983 1993 Eric Dickerson1977 1988 Tony Dorsett1978 1985 Earl Campbell1975 1987 Walter Payton1971 1985 John Riggins1972 1984 Franco Harris1969 1979 O.J. Simpson1968 1979 Larry Csonka1964 1973 Leroy Kelly1965 1971 Gale Sayers1958 1967 Jim Taylor1957 1966 Paul Hornung1956 1967 Lenny Moore1957 1965 Jim Brown1954 1966 John Henry Johnson1952 1966 Ollie Matson1952 1964 Frank Gifford1952 1964 Hugh McElhenny1948 1963 Joe Perry1950 1955 Doak Walker1947 1955 Charlie Trippi1946 1955 Marion MotleyIt's really tough to compare Davis to some of the older guys. Was Davis more deserving than Paul Hornung? Absolutely, in my mind. But he's part of the "older" crew in my mind. I'd probably draw the line starting with Sayers, although he's so unique that maybe we should just draw it at Kelly. That leaves 12 guys.Obviously Sanders, Payton and Dickerson were better. Csonka is the least deserving member of that bunch in my view, and by a solid margin. He may have been a better RB than several of the other RBs on the list, but he wasn't used often enough. He never once ranked in the top 7 in the league in carries. He played with some other very good RBs, and he probably could have had better stats on a different team. But what happened is what happened, and IMO, he's the least productive RB of the 12.

Of the other 8, I'd probably break their HOF profile down into four groups:

Tier A: The Bills RBs

Tier B: Earl Campbell

Tier C: Marcus Allen

Tier D: Kelly, Harris, Dorsett, Riggins

So TD would need to fall in between Allen and Campbell, at a minimum, to warrant induction under this standard. Statistically, I think he's there. Was he as talented as Marcus Allen? Probably not. Was he more productive? Overall, I think so. But was he more productive because he played in Denver? Maybe.
Way to skirt the Sayers comparison - I wouldn't want to go there either. :goodposting: In some ways, Campbell is a great comparison. They both had unbelievable peak performances in their first 4 seasons. Both had short careers. Most probably feel that Campbell was undoubtedly a better player. His short career can be explained by his running style (though that may be a silly argument) and there is absolutely no doubt that he was the one that made those Oilers teams like there is with Davis. And while Campbell has a leg up on personal awards, Davis blows him out of the water with postseason performance. If you asked around, I'd bet 90% or more would say Campbell over TD. Just watch Campbell run and you know he belongs. But when you put them side by side (at least statistically), these two start to look like they belong together.

Marcus Allen is a much tougher sell, IMO. If you put their best seasons, Allen in 1985 and Davis' 1998, side by side, you can argue all day which was better. Both were stellar in the postseason. Allen had injury problems too - had to settle for a part time role after a knee injury in 89 & some bickering with Al. But he endured. He stayed in the league, found a role on the Chiefs, continued to show what a great player he was. He didn't hang around long after his talent was gone, either. In the end, he had 16 seasons to Davis' 8. He has 18,000 total yards to Davis' 9,000. Allen has 144 TDs (most rushing TDs when he retired) to 65 TDs for Davis. Are these guys on the same level? I'm not so sure.

I am surprised that you think Thurman Thomas is better than all these other guys, by the way...I'd personally rank him lower than Campbell & Allen. As ball carrier, he wasn't unbelievable. Too many season with a poor ypc. On second thought, maybe it is what he did catching the ball that vaults him over these two for you.

Overall, I think you make an excellent case for TD. I'm with SSOG in the belief that you can't fault a guy for the system he plays in, as long as he wasn't just riding the coattails, so to speak. Did Davis have a great QB? Yeah, but let's not forget that Elway was a just another QB without a ring before Davis came around. Did play in a great system? Yeah, but he was by far the best running back in that system.

Keep up the good work :goodposting:

Fair point Gonzobill5. Let me state that I think statistically Davis belongs in the HOF. His longevity argument doesn't bother me. I think the ZBS/Shanahan/Gibbs/Portis-Anderson-Gary questions are much more damaging, and I'm not sure where I stand on the line. Many HOFers play with great teammates and in good systems, but we can't just ignore that TD was in a great system. Here are the 25 modern era HOF RBs:

1styr Lstyr Name 1988 2000 Thurman Thomas 1989 1998 Barry Sanders 1982 1997 Marcus Allen 1983 1993 Eric Dickerson 1977 1988 Tony Dorsett 1978 1985 Earl Campbell 1975 1987 Walter Payton 1971 1985 John Riggins 1972 1984 Franco Harris 1969 1979 O.J. Simpson 1968 1979 Larry Csonka 1964 1973 Leroy Kelly 1965 1971 Gale Sayers 1958 1967 Jim Taylor 1957 1966 Paul Hornung 1956 1967 Lenny Moore 1957 1965 Jim Brown 1954 1966 John Henry Johnson 1952 1966 Ollie Matson 1952 1964 Frank Gifford 1952 1964 Hugh McElhenny 1948 1963 Joe Perry 1950 1955 Doak Walker 1947 1955 Charlie Trippi 1946 1955 Marion MotleyIt's really tough to compare Davis to some of the older guys. Was Davis more deserving than Paul Hornung? Absolutely, in my mind. But he's part of the "older" crew in my mind. I'd probably draw the line starting with Sayers, although he's so unique that maybe we should just draw it at Kelly. That leaves 12 guys.Obviously Sanders, Payton and Dickerson were better. Csonka is the least deserving member of that bunch in my view, and by a solid margin. He may have been a better RB than several of the other RBs on the list, but he wasn't used often enough. He never once ranked in the top 7 in the league in carries. He played with some other very good RBs, and he probably could have had better stats on a different team. But what happened is what happened, and IMO, he's the least productive RB of the 12.

Of the other 8, I'd probably break their HOF profile down into four groups:

Tier A: The Bills RBs

Tier B: Earl Campbell

Tier C: Marcus Allen

Tier D: Kelly, Harris, Dorsett, Riggins

So TD would need to fall in between Allen and Campbell, at a minimum, to warrant induction under this standard. Statistically, I think he's there. Was he as talented as Marcus Allen? Probably not. Was he more productive? Overall, I think so. But was he more productive because he played in Denver? Maybe.
Way to skirt the Sayers comparison - I wouldn't want to go there either. :goodposting: In some ways, Campbell is a great comparison. They both had unbelievable peak performances in their first 4 seasons. Both had short careers. Most probably feel that Campbell was undoubtedly a better player. His short career can be explained by his running style (though that may be a silly argument) and there is absolutely no doubt that he was the one that made those Oilers teams like there is with Davis. And while Campbell has a leg up on personal awards, Davis blows him out of the water with postseason performance. If you asked around, I'd bet 90% or more would say Campbell over TD. Just watch Campbell run and you know he belongs. But when you put them side by side (at least statistically), these two start to look like they belong together.

Marcus Allen is a much tougher sell, IMO. If you put their best seasons, Allen in 1985 and Davis' 1998, side by side, you can argue all day which was better. Both were stellar in the postseason. Allen had injury problems too - had to settle for a part time role after a knee injury in 89 & some bickering with Al. But he endured. He stayed in the league, found a role on the Chiefs, continued to show what a great player he was. He didn't hang around long after his talent was gone, either. In the end, he had 16 seasons to Davis' 8. He has 18,000 total yards to Davis' 9,000. Allen has 144 TDs (most rushing TDs when he retired) to 65 TDs for Davis. Are these guys on the same level? I'm not so sure.

I am surprised that you think Thurman Thomas is better than all these other guys, by the way...I'd personally rank him lower than Campbell & Allen. As ball carrier, he wasn't unbelievable. Too many season with a poor ypc. On second thought, maybe it is what he did catching the ball that vaults him over these two for you.

Overall, I think you make an excellent case for TD. I'm with SSOG in the belief that you can't fault a guy for the system he plays in, as long as he wasn't just riding the coattails, so to speak. Did Davis have a great QB? Yeah, but let's not forget that Elway was a just another QB without a ring before Davis came around. Did play in a great system? Yeah, but he was by far the best running back in that system.

Keep up the good work :goodposting:
:goodposting:

Thanks gonzobill,

I'll address your Allen question here.

My problem is that he has good career totals only because of all of the "junk" years he had. In my RB-ranking formula, he ranked 1st in the league in '82 (9 games) and '85, and 4th in '84. Those were his only three seasons in the top ten for his entire career.

He only topped 900 rushing yards in three seasons, '83-'85. His '83 season ranked only 20th among RBs for me because he barely broke 1,000 yards and combined that with 14 fumbles/2 fumbles recovered. Allen had good receiving numbers that year, too, but it's hard to get past 12 net fumbles.

Allen had an insane 10 years of between 500 and 900 rushing yards. That's a great bit of trivia, but that's not overly impressive. IMO, without his masterful 1983 post-season, he's not in the HOF. Only one other player, HOF Joe Perry, has more than 7 seasons of between 500 and 900 rushing yards.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/8pUgn

Perry played most of his career in 12-game seasons, though, making him not a real comparison. Two of his seasons came in the AAFC, so he only had 8 NFL seasons of such performances.

Allen only ranked in the top ten in YFS in five seasons. As mentioned, '82, '84 and '85 were great seasons. He ranked 9th in '83, the big fumble seasons; of course, he redeemed himself tenfold in the playoffs. 1987 was the other season, but he had only 5 TDs, had only 3.8 YPC, and was the second best RB on his team that season.

If you like, you can blame Al Davis for Allen's lack of production. But if we're more interested in production than talent, that point isn't very strong.

I disagree with this. Although I would not mind seeing both of them in the Hall, I would prefer to see Little in ahead of Davis. Little was all that the Broncos had, and still put up very good numbers for his era. It is because of Floyd Little that the franchise was able to sustain in my opinion. Had we not had him I do not find it too hard to believe that there would not be a Denver Broncos. Furthermore, he was a pioneer for smaller backs, proving that a guy of small stature could be dominant. On the other hand, TD was on teams that won 46 games in three years. Now, TD was a big part of that, and perhaps the only reason the Broncos won SB 32, but Elway, the O-Line/Scheme, the D-Line, and Smith/McCaffrey were also big parts too. To say that TD deserves it more than Little is to only look at stats. The Broncos almost ceased existence in 1965, and had their first winning season in 1973 (nearly 15 years after their conception). Had Little not been there to uplift fan's aspirations, I believe they would have moved. Thus, without Floyd Little there is no Denver Broncos, and the NFL is a very different place. Beyond that, Little did put up respectable stats, retiring as the NFL's 7th leading rusher, 3 Pro Bowls, and 2 AFL All-Star appearances. I would rather see Little in than TD.On a side note, Randy Gradishar needs to get in before either of them.

I disagree with this. Although I would not mind seeing both of them in the Hall, I would prefer to see Little in ahead of Davis. Little was all that the Broncos had, and still put up very good numbers for his era. It is because of Floyd Little that the franchise was able to sustain in my opinion. Had we not had him I do not find it too hard to believe that there would not be a Denver Broncos. Furthermore, he was a pioneer for smaller backs, proving that a guy of small stature could be dominant. On the other hand, TD was on teams that won 46 games in three years. Now, TD was a big part of that, and perhaps the only reason the Broncos won SB 32, but Elway, the O-Line/Scheme, the D-Line, and Smith/McCaffrey were also big parts too. To say that TD deserves it more than Little is to only look at stats. The Broncos almost ceased existence in 1965, and had their first winning season in 1973 (nearly 15 years after their conception). Had Little not been there to uplift fan's aspirations, I believe they would have moved. Thus, without Floyd Little there is no Denver Broncos, and the NFL is a very different place. Beyond that, Little did put up respectable stats, retiring as the NFL's 7th leading rusher, 3 Pro Bowls, and 2 AFL All-Star appearances. I would rather see Little in than TD.On a side note, Randy Gradishar needs to get in before either of them.
The argument for Little boils down to "if not for Little, there would be no Denver Broncos." I don't think that's a persuasive argument. If not for Bob McNair, there would be no Houston Texans. Does that make him a HOFer? Do Johnny Unitas' accomplishments mean less since there is no Baltimore Colts? Of course not. Little was a very good back on a bad team, but even putting him in the HOVG would be a stretch. There would have been many more deserving candidates from the senior class. Davis was the best running back in Denver history. Was he the most talented? Probably not. Little may have been more talented than him, among others. But the HOF isn't the Hall of Talent, and Davis was the lead horse for one of the most dominant running games in NFL history.

The argument for Little boils down to "if not for Little, there would be no Denver Broncos." I don't think that's a persuasive argument. If not for Bob McNair, there would be no Houston Texans. Does that make him a HOFer? Do Johnny Unitas' accomplishments mean less since there is no Baltimore Colts? Of course not. Little was a very good back on a bad team, but even putting him in the HOVG would be a stretch. There would have been many more deserving candidates from the senior class. Davis was the best running back in Denver history. Was he the most talented? Probably not. Little may have been more talented than him, among others. But the HOF isn't the Hall of Talent, and Davis was the lead horse for one of the most dominant running games in NFL history.
The Bob McNair comparison is not a good one, as he was not a player, and thus his role in saving/creating a franchise is far less impressive. Johnny Unitas' accomplishments do not mean less, but that is because he was not around to "save" the Colts. Had Unitas been drafted in 1980, and went on keep the Colts from moving, it would surely add to his legacy. Did you ever see Little play? If so, how can possibly say that putting him in the HOVG is a stretch? The dude was amazing, and the only reason the Broncos were even remotely competitive. Put him on OJ's Bills teams, and he would definitely be in, in my opinion. If Little does not deserve to be in, TD certainly does not.

The argument for Little boils down to "if not for Little, there would be no Denver Broncos." I don't think that's a persuasive argument. If not for Bob McNair, there would be no Houston Texans. Does that make him a HOFer? Do Johnny Unitas' accomplishments mean less since there is no Baltimore Colts? Of course not. Little was a very good back on a bad team, but even putting him in the HOVG would be a stretch. There would have been many more deserving candidates from the senior class.
The last sentence speaks to the heart of it for me. Had Little gotten inducted via the regular process, I don't think any great injustice would have been done. He's definitely one of those guys where I can see the arguments for and the arguments against. The big problem comes because he's NOT getting nominated via the regular process, he's coming through the Seniors route, and therefore the competition is much, much stiffer. Would Little be one of the five most deserving players of the last 15 years (or however long regular entry goes back)? Possibly, in a lean year. Is he one of the two most deserving candidates in the entire history of the NFL? Absolutely not. I don't think he's even one of the two most deserving Seniors candidates from the Denver Broncos (I'd take Gradishar and Tombstone over Little). Heck, if the hall wants to continue this silly farce pretending that Special Teamers deserve induction, then Rick Upchurch should be the standard-bearer, not Ray Guy.

The argument for Little boils down to "if not for Little, there would be no Denver Broncos." I don't think that's a persuasive argument. If not for Bob McNair, there would be no Houston Texans. Does that make him a HOFer? Do Johnny Unitas' accomplishments mean less since there is no Baltimore Colts? Of course not. Little was a very good back on a bad team, but even putting him in the HOVG would be a stretch. There would have been many more deserving candidates from the senior class.
The last sentence speaks to the heart of it for me. Had Little gotten inducted via the regular process, I don't think any great injustice would have been done. He's definitely one of those guys where I can see the arguments for and the arguments against. The big problem comes because he's NOT getting nominated via the regular process, he's coming through the Seniors route, and therefore the competition is much, much stiffer. Would Little be one of the five most deserving players of the last 15 years (or however long regular entry goes back)? Possibly, in a lean year. Is he one of the two most deserving candidates in the entire history of the NFL? Absolutely not. I don't think he's even one of the two most deserving Seniors candidates from the Denver Broncos (I'd take Gradishar and Tombstone over Little). Heck, if the hall wants to continue this silly farce pretending that Special Teamers deserve induction, then Rick Upchurch should be the standard-bearer, not Ray Guy.
There are a lot of deserving senior candidates, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. That didn't stop them from mucking it up and nominating LeBeau.Alex Karras, Chris Hanburger, Isiah Robertson, Chuck Howley, Lemar Parrish and Maxie Baughan would all have been good choices. Jimmy Patton would have been my #1 choice.Mick Tingelhoff, George Kunz, Daryle Lamonica, Harold Jackson, Roman Gabriel, Del Shofner and a whole bunch of linemen would have been solid offensive choices. If you want to go the RB route, Chuck Foreman or Larry Brown or even Lydell Mitchell would have been better choices.Little would not be in my top 25 of most deserving via the senior's committee. Little had three very good seasons from '71 to '73. He was basically done after that. In '70, he had a very generic season; 1062 yards from scrimmage, 3 TDs. In the pre-merger era he was a very good all-around player, where he was a valuable contributor on special teams. But none of what I've said screams Hall of Famer to anyone but Broncos fans. If Little saved the Broncos, he should be in the Broncos Ring of Fame, which he is. But the NFL HOF? No one has ever convinced me that he should be. If the Broncos had relocated, how would that be different than when the NFL survived after Cleveland, Los Angeles, Houston and Baltimore lost cities? Broncos fans should love Little, but that doesn't make him an NFL HOFer.

Did Mike Shanahan hurt Terrell Davis' Hall of Fame chances?

My thought when watching Super Bowl 33 was always that Shanahan gave FB Howard Griffith the two goal line touchdown carries because he wanted Elway to go out as not only a champion, but as a Super Bowl MVP. Davis had 100 yards, and if he had two scores to go with that, he might very well have won his 2nd straight SB MVP (which only two players have ever done - Bart Starr and Terry Bradshaw). But instead, Griffith got the touchdowns, and Elway got the MVP award for having 300+ yards, one passing TD, and one rushing TD.

My thought when watching Super Bowl 33 was always that Shanahan gave FB Howard Griffith the two goal line touchdown carries because he wanted Elway to go out as not only a champion, but as a Super Bowl MVP. Davis had 100 yards, and if he had two scores to go with that, he might very well have won his 2nd straight SB MVP (which only two players have ever done - Bart Starr and Terry Bradshaw). But instead, Griffith got the touchdowns, and Elway got the MVP award for having 300+ yards, one passing TD, and one rushing TD.
This is the first time I've heard someone use anything in Davis' postseason as a potential argument AGAINST him.

Yes...when you can get output from guys like Mike Anderson, Quentin Griffin, Mike Bell, Tatum Bell, Selvin Young, Reuben Droughns, and Olandis Gary...not to mention some of the crew he has worked with in Washington.

I don't want to take anything away from Davis, but when you add up the fact that he played in a RB friendly system and had one good year and three awesome years, it is so tough to put a grade on him...I'd almost call it an "incomplete", and unable to even judge if he could/should go to the HOF.

To compare, Portis' first two (and only two) years in Denver, he posted the following:

273-1508-15 5.5 and 33-364-2

290-1591-14 5.5 and 38-314-0

Here are Davis' numbers...about 1 yard per carry less on average, nine less TDs.

237-1117-7 4.7 and 49-367-1

345-1538-13 4.5 and 36-310-2

It's not all about the numbers, but when I see stuff like this, it becomes more difficult to make a case for him. Again, not saying what he couldn't have been, but not sure how you can judge when the data (i.e. a lengthier career) is not there.

dgreen said:
Ghost Rider said:

This is the first time I've heard someone use anything in Davis' postseason as a potential argument AGAINST him.
It wasn't an argument against him. The point was that, had he gotten those two goal line scores in the 2nd Super Bowl and gotten another Super Bowl MVP award, his already sterling postseason accomplishments would be even more staggeringly awesome. But, since Shanny was eager, IMO, to get Elway that MVP award, he gave the fullback the goal line scores, thus making it less likely that he'd get it (since 100 yards looks less great than 100 yards and two scores).

dgreen said:
Ghost Rider said:

It wasn't an argument against him. The point was that, had he gotten those two goal line scores in the 2nd Super Bowl and gotten another Super Bowl MVP award, his already sterling postseason accomplishments would be even more staggeringly awesome. But, since Shanny was eager, IMO, to get Elway that MVP award, he gave the fullback the goal line scores, thus making it less likely that he'd get it (since 100 yards looks less great than 100 yards and two scores).
This seems like a stretch to me. Davis's postseason accomplishments are already awesome enough to be arguably the best ever for a RB. It is those postseason accomplishments that have him in the HOF conversation. I don't think another SBMVP would have made the difference for him to get in.

dgreen said:
Ghost Rider said:

I admittedly don't remember these plays or drives, but wouldn't he have Elway pass if his goal was to get John the MVP?

dgreen said:
Ghost Rider said:

This seems like a stretch to me. Davis's postseason accomplishments are already awesome enough to be arguably the best ever for a RB. It is those postseason accomplishments that have him in the HOF conversation. I don't think another SBMVP would have made the difference for him to get in.
Maybe not, but it would have made his resume look better.

dgreen said:
Ghost Rider said:

I admittedly don't remember these plays or drives, but wouldn't he have Elway pass if his goal was to get John the MVP?
Winning was the number one priority, and considering how unstoppable the Broncos were running the ball at the goal line that year, running the ball from the 1 made the most sense. Elway did score late in the game on a draw from the 3, though.

Users who are viewing this thread