What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Americans (1 Viewer)

We can all have our opinions. Mine is that the characters are ####### awesome.

They are people. Neither good nor bad. Rather a collage of misremembered memories that create an ideology bound by human weakness all under the drive for self preservation. The characters are deep, conflicted and interwoven / dependent upon each other. Their relationships, IMO, make the show. It's not just what the key character(s) go through, but the experience and dance of all of them, together in their nice little web.

That's life (just a bit more dramatic than most of us)

Uruk-Hai said:
Brady Marino said:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
The only guy I care about is John Boy because he has like 7 siblings to take care of.

Seriously...is there anyone on the show...that could die in the next episode that you would care about?
Honestly, not really. Nina maybe.
I've seen this show described as "dry" and "cold". For whatever reason, though, I connect with these folks -all of them, down to and including Gaad & Arkady. And, in my case, I don't think it's wish-fulfillment (i.e., "I need a good TV show so I decree this as The One"). The relationships feel real to me. I've been knocked completely off my feet like Stan was this week, have tried to do something that my parents hated like Paige (in her case, going to church; in mine, dating outside of my race), tried to separate necessary "bad" from "good" in my life (everyone on the whole ####### show), and Nina is raging hot.

Different strokes and stuff, I guess.....
Yeah- I'm drawn into this show because the writing and acting (and direction) set up real relationships between the characters. I don't care if I'm "supposed" to like one or any of them or if there's a heroic protagonist I'm supposed to support. I care what happens to all the characters because of the honesty and "realness" of the characters which is set up by the writing and acting. That's what I mentioned upthread in regards to liking this just as melodrama. Add in the espionage and supposedly real story-lines (or at least based on real story lines), action and nice exotic eye-candy, and I'm completely drawn in.
:shrug: I just don't see that. Not sure if it is the writing or acting or directing. Pretty much all of the characters come off as hollow to me.
petepete be doin' some trollin'.
Honestly 100% no-shtick.

Wow, crazy episode. Things seem to be falling apart for everyone.

p.s. If Stan does that facial tick one more time I'm going to scream.

Uruk-Hai said:
Brady Marino said:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
The only guy I care about is John Boy because he has like 7 siblings to take care of.

Seriously...is there anyone on the show...that could die in the next episode that you would care about?
I've seen this show described as "dry" and "cold". For whatever reason, though, I connect with these folks -all of them, down to and including Gaad & Arkady. And, in my case, I don't think it's wish-fulfillment (i.e., "I need a good TV show so I decree this as The One"). The relationships feel real to me. I've been knocked completely off my feet like Stan was this week, have tried to do something that my parents hated like Paige (in her case, going to church; in mine, dating outside of my race), tried to separate necessary "bad" from "good" in my life (everyone on the whole ####### show), and Nina is raging hot.

Yeah- I'm drawn into this show because the writing and acting (and direction) set up real relationships between the characters. I don't care if I'm "supposed" to like one or any of them or if there's a heroic protagonist I'm supposed to support. I care what happens to all the characters because of the honesty and "realness" of the characters which is set up by the writing and acting. That's what I mentioned upthread in regards to liking this just as melodrama. Add in the espionage and supposedly real story-lines (or at least based on real story lines), action and nice exotic eye-candy, and I'm completely drawn in.
:shrug: I just don't see that. Not sure if it is the writing or acting or directing. Pretty much all of the characters come off as hollow to me.
Nah, I don't think so. He's been pretty straight in here and his criticisms have merit - I've seen them in other places, too. And - when Officer Pete's's not shticking - I tend to listen to what he says, at least as another way to look at things. Sometimes, art just doesn't connect. Hell, U2 leaves me as cold as dead fish but a bazillion people think they are The Truth.
Yeah... doesn't matter to me if he's trolling- I'm just giving my opinion, which isn't going to change because somebody else disagrees in earnest or sport.

i think that Russian Soviet sub crashed because they built it super-fast. ;)

(maybe i'm remembering the sequence wrong, but didn't they steal those propeller plans just a few episodes before the sub crash?)

(maybe i'm remembering the sequence wrong, but didn't they steal those propeller plans just a few episodes before the sub crash?)
Yeah they addressed this. They said it normally goes through months of testing but they rushed it through the process.

Slider6 said:
RUSF18 said:
oso diablo said:

Yeah they addressed this. They said it normally goes through months of testing but they rushed it through the process.
And put it on the wrong class of sub?
Correct and correct. And yet it was those hated Americans who don't care about the 166 boys that died.

Slider6 said:
RUSF18 said:
oso diablo said:

Correct and correct. And yet it was those hated Americans who don't care about the 166 boys that died.
Yeah that is a bit confusing. Did the Americans plant faulty blueprints or did the Russians just implement them improperly. Very big difference especially when they are harping on the extent and sophistication of the U.S's resolve.

Sepinwall was spot on that Rhys is putting on a tour de force performance. Surprising that he hasn't gotten any plumb roles in the Star Wars/ Star Trek/ Superhero genre movies. Not much on the horizon per his imdb page.

Slider6 said:
RUSF18 said:
oso diablo said:

Yeah that is a bit confusing. Did the Americans plant faulty blueprints or did the Russians just implement them improperly. Very big difference especially when they are harping on the extent and sophistication of the U.S's resolve.
I don't see the confusion.

The show has told us repeatedly that the US is planting fake stuff for the russians to find. They also said the sub was rushed through production and IIRC used for the wrong class as well. So both are true, unless you choose not to believe what they're telling us.

Sepinwall was spot on that Rhys is putting on a tour de force performance. Surprising that he hasn't gotten any plumb roles in the Star Wars/ Star Trek/ Superhero genre movies. Not much on the horizon per his imdb page.
He's been amazing. And I hope people aren't selling Russell short based on her previous work... she's held her own and more here. Even the kids have been decent... especially if you put them side by side with the Homeland kids. Full credit to the actors, but also one of the advantages of having good writing vs having to recite crap.

He's been amazing. And I hope people aren't selling Russell short based on her previous work... she's held her own and more here. Even the kids have been decent... especially if you put them side by side with the Homeland kids. Full credit to the actors, but also one of the advantages of having good writing vs having to recite crap.
I hadn't watched Kerri Russell in her previous show (shows?). Was she considered a bad actress? She's money on this one.

Question about previous episode, when they leave the base and go back to the truck driver they had bound and gagged, is he dead? How and who offed him?

The only part of last episode I didn't like or thought was unrealistic was Philip going after the pastor about the $600.

That episode had me all kinds of confused. I had forgotten Analisa and it seemed a little abrupt to reintroduce her after so long.

Can someone walk me through what Larrick did to find Soviet Phone Spammer?

Perhaps I was reading into it, but best part of episode was Phillip's hesitation when Elizabeth was saying we weren't raising our daughter tough enough for the world ahead. Of course they hope she will never by privy to their espionage but I think in that moment it was hitting home to him that they are raising kids who does not share their fight nor would they want them to.

the murder scene was chilling....

looks like Stan may be getting close again....

the little dance between Akady and Gaad is cool

Oleg is a fantastic character

Larrick closing in

Still can't decide if Stan is playing Nina or he still believes in her...

This series is top notch

Honestly 100% no-shtick.
Maybe man but come on, I get it. You don't like the show. But at least pick it apart with much more substance. You're better than this. I mean, forget about everybody else and how they feel about it. You have depth of vocabulary and the use of it. Give me more of that, and I'll give it credence.

Personally, I love the show, and I don't watch much television. I watch this show and many others online. To me, episodic television ended with The Wire. Even with Breaking Bad and The Sopranos. I love the fact that it's another view of the Cold War during the Reagan years. It's pretty ballsy to have terrorists as your main characters. Because that's really who they are: terrorists. Hell, they kill someone almost every episode. I think that more absurd than anything else, and in The Wire, it was more realistic to see death in almost every episode because it was in the inner city. But it's FX. Somebody has to die in almost every episode. At least this isn't an aged old decrepit make your #### limp Katy Sagal doing murder. I like that FX takes another angle at TV.

I've been a fan of the guy who plays Stan ever since his role in Beautiful Girls. Guy always nails it imo.

I've been a fan of the guy who plays Stan ever since his role in Beautiful Girls. Guy always nails it imo.
I agree. And Truman show. He's not really a likeable character on this show for me though. Phillip steals this show for me. He's perfect for the role.

Perhaps I was reading into it, but best part of episode was Phillip's hesitation when Elizabeth was saying we weren't raising our daughter tough enough for the world ahead. Of course they hope she will never by privy to their espionage but I think in that moment it was hitting home to him that they are raising kids who does not share their fight nor would they want them to.
To take this one step further, they are raising their children to be the enemy. The kids are Americans, through and through. And as the kids get older and more independent, as we see with the daughter already, there will be no way to ignore this reality.

It's rough enough to give your life to the cause. But they have essentially sacrificed their family as their kids become the enemy the fight against, until/unless they jump sides ...

If not, imagine watching your nation lose the Cold War and split up as a country while you have given everything including your children for that cause, all the whole watching through the enemies joyous and victorious perspective.

That episode had me all kinds of confused. I had forgotten Analisa and it seemed a little abrupt to reintroduce her after so long.

Seems like he tapped the phone, got the number of the spammer, then went to the records department to get the address of the phone number. Address came up one house off when he went in and came across the family, then he saw the light in the adjacent basement.

Honestly 100% no-shtick.
Maybe man but come on, I get it. You don't like the show. But at least pick it apart with much more substance. You're better than this. I mean, forget about everybody else and how they feel about it. You have depth of vocabulary and the use of it. Give me more of that, and I'll give it credence.
You want me to really post a laundry list of what I think are the show's negative points?

Seems like he tapped the phone, got the number of the spammer, then went to the records department to get the address of the phone number. Address came up one house off when he went in and came across the family, then he saw the light in the adjacent basement.
He tapped what phone?

The Americans has distinguished itself, week after week, with meticulously edited sequences in which its protagonists engage in nerve-jangling Russian operative business, from the infiltration of military bases to the bugging of pre-internet computer systems to the filching of top-secret files from Congressional offices that double as ideal spots for desktop trysts.

This week’s episode, “Yousaf,” gave us another of those signature spy-game set pieces with the execution of that two-pronged Pakistani ISI mission, the one that toggled between the sexual dance between a scantily clad Annelise and Yousaf, and the slippery swimming-pool scuffle between Elizabeth and Yousaf’s boss, Javid. The images of those two women wrapping their legs around their respective targets’ necks, for entirely different reasons, unfolded to the sound of Pete Townshend’s “It Must Be Done,” a new song composed specifically for this episode that also served as a musical reminder of a key scene from season one’s “Covert War”: the seduction and kidnapping of CIA officer Richard Patterson, which happened in synchronicity with the beats of Townshend’s “Rough Boys.”
Back then, Elizabeth was playing both sides of a mission, simultaneously acting as seductress and purveyor of violence at a time when she and Philip were still separated from each other. Now, a season and several months later, with their marriage back on track, she agreed to jump off the seductress beat at Philip’s suggestion. Apparently, as Philip told Annelise in a speech that clearly was spoken with Elizabeth at the front of his mind, it kills him to watch the woman he loves give herself to another man. Murder another man? That’s fine, if it must be done. But the sex part of the operation doesn’t need to be handled by Elizabeth when it can easily be outsourced to the defense undersecretary’s wife. That’s, as Elizabeth and Philip amicably agreed, the best move.
That “Covert War” callback also was notable because, in contrast to the way Elizabeth swiftly snuffed out Javid, she and Philip ultimately opted not to kill Patterson, a decision that could prove to be their downfall. In last night’s episode, when Stan Beeman met with Jared Connors, son of Emmett and Leanne, he showed him a sketch of two people who might have known Jared’s parents, whom Stan now believes were illegals working for Oleg Burov. The man and woman in that sketch strongly resembled Philip and Elizabeth, in the same disguises they wore the night they kidnapped Patterson. Stan’s obviously not entirely on-target with his theory. But he’s inching slowly toward bull’s eye.
That was just one of many ominous hints that the Jennings’ clandestine suburban life could very soon be exposed. The most obvious other threat to their status quo is Andrew Larrick, the Navy SEAL who’s seeking vengeance for the Martial Eagle killings and got a few steps closer to it when he tracked down that Bethesda KGB basement — complete with multiple high-tech rotary phones — and managed to dial up Kate. Since a call went out to Elizabeth from that location earlier in the episode, Larrick could be just a Ma Bell connection away from determining who those supposed CIA agents he met really are. (Fun fact: Grant Street and Mohawk Lane are real streets in Bethesda, not far from NIH and — additional fun fact — my high-school alma mater. Go, Walter Johnson Wildcats!)
But there were other plot and visual cues that also suggested that, with three episodes remaining in the second season, the Jennings’ cover could soon be blown and their efforts upended. That subtext was embedded in several details: the ease with which Paige forged her mother’s signature, suggesting that Elizabeth’s identity could easily be penetrated; the fact that Annelise was ironically introduced to Yousaf by Jeane Kirkpatrick, the ambassador whose anti-Communist policies influenced U.S. support for Afghanistan’s mujahideen during the Soviet War to which Kate referred; the underwater-perspective shot of Elizabeth walking away from a floating, deceased Javid, her image blurry but just visible enough to I.D. her. Collectively, it all added up to a vibe that Elizabeth and Philip may not remain effective Soviet undercover agents for much longer.
The way this episode was bookended, too — with the quiet pan into the Jennings’ kitchen that opened it and the soft conversation between Elizabeth and Philip, still in the same kitchen, that ended it — only added to the sense that the peace of their home and family could be shattered. That final shot of the two of them, captured from a distance through a doorway, conveyed the sense that they’re already being watched, as did the words Philip whispered to Elizabeth about her smoking: “They’ll smell it.”
When the Connors were killed, Elizabeth and Philip, quite naturally, became fearful for Paige’s and Henry’s safety. Even though only two months have passed since those murders, that fear seems to have subsided. This also makes me very nervous. When Paige asked to spend her summer at that fellowship camp, it wasn’t surprising that Elizabeth was concerned that her daughter would be turned into a “Jesus freak.” (As we learned from Nina’s Young Pioneers remembrances, summer camp, where everyone gets a free Lenin button, is all about indoctrination in Russia, too.) What puzzled me was that neither Elizabeth nor Philip seemed overly concerned about Paige being physically away from them, where she would become more vulnerable to anyone who might decide to use the spy kid as a way to get to spy Mom and Dad. I think it’s a terrible idea for Paige to become a CIT, not because of Jesus, but because of the enormous potential for the Cedar Grove Fellowship Camp Color Wars to turn into a Cold War hostage situation.
One thing became very clear in this episode, if it wasn’t already: that a number of the assertions I made in last week’s recap were totally off-base. Look, it was my first week jumping into Americans recap mode. I may have gotten a little overexcited, which is why I overdid it on the Elizabeth/Philip divorce metaphors — though I still contend there was a divide between them in the last episode — and why I misinterpreted the nature of the interaction between Philip and Martha. As some of you kindly noted in the comments, Philip’s really not in love with Martha, though I do think there was a moment when they were kissing when Philip was surprised by the level of intimacy he felt. But as we saw in the beginning of this episode, when Philip and Elizabeth tenderly, then heatedly, made out and made up, the state of their union is strong right now, as warm and comforting to each of them as the light that emanates from a child’s Glo Worm. (That Glo Worm appearance was tremendous, by the way. Granted, not as tremendous as the presence of Intellivision or, best of all, the reference to the Jhoon Rhee commercial two weeks ago, which was easily the best thing this D.C. child of the ‘80s has seen on TV all year. But still: pretty tremendous.)
This season opened with Elizabeth and Philip reuniting with Leanne and Emmett, a couple living a mirror version of the Jennings’ quiet spy-family life. With Gaad now reinstated and working with Stan to probe more deeply into the Connors’ murder, it seems increasingly likely that the Jennings could lose their lives, in a way that may or may not resemble the way things ended for the Connors. The question now is whether Philip and Elizabeth will realize what’s happening in time to take preventive measures, to figure out what, for them and their children, is the best move.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/05/americans-recap-season-2-yousaf.html

Call me lazy, but sometimes after a long day at work, I don't feel like reading my TV shows. I'll agree to suspend disbelief if all of the "Russians" agree to speak English.

Midway through "Stealth," Paige announces that she feels like a prisoner in her own house, and though there are only two characters in the episode who are being physically held someplace against their will — Anton as a kept man of the KGB, Kate tied up in her apartment by Andrew Larrick — there are an awful lot of characters who are feeling like prisoners of circumstances, and/or like they're on the verge of winding up like Kate or Anton.Leaving aside Philip and Elizabeth's usual complicated feelings about their situation — which are, other than a lot of discussion about whether to let Paige go to church camp, mostly placed on hold this week to focus on the supporting cast and moving the plot along — there's an awful lot of physical and emotional confinement going on here. Kate gets bound and gagged by Larrick, then murdered when it becomes clear she's not going to give up any more information on her prized assets. Anton remains miserable being separated from his son, even though Vasili has given him a non-awful home and supplied him with attractive sexual partners. As part of the mission to deliver Stealth technology to the Soviets, Philip befriends John, an aeronautics engineer trapped in a body and mind that's slowly shutting down due to cancer he believes was caused by work on Stealth. Emmet and Leeanne's son Jared is trapped in this strange and tragic circumstance that he doesn't fully understand — though perhaps we don't fully understand it, either, give his lunch meeting with an undisguised Kate. And after masterfully playing one or both of Oleg and Stan all season, Nina starts to feel the walls closing in when Oleg reveals to her that she'll be sent back to Moscow for trial (where the best outcome would be a life sentence in a Siberian gulag) if they fail to turn Stan into a full-fledged double agent.

Let's start with Nina, because her role has been one of the most fascinating parts of this season. Most of what we've seen, this year and late last, suggests she is 100% back on Mother Russia's side, is sincerely manipulating Stan as vengeance for Vlad and redemption for her own earlier crimes, and even that her feelings for Oleg are real. But the way the character is written, and the way Annet Mahendru plays her, there's always at least a 5% level of ambiguity to it all — that, at a minimum, Nina does still have feelings for Stan, even as she's ensnaring him in Arkady and Oleg's trap, but also with the possibility that she is trying to keep her options open in case her needs change — as they so clearly have here. It's telling that Oleg — who once upon a time seemed the slick hustler who kept himself above everyone else in the game — is so shattered by the news of Nina's treason, and that he would go so far as to both reveal what Arkady told him in confidence(*) and warn her to run. Costa Ronin's been sneaky-good in this role, and was great in the first chance he had to show vulnerability rather than smirking superiority.

(*) It's entirely possible that Arkady, who has his own very warm (but more paternal) feelings for Nina, desired this exact response from Oleg, but it seemed more that he was telling him in the event Oleg could use his family connections to ease Nina's sentence if the worst-case scenario materialized.

And it's really hard to say how Stan will react if/when Nina tries to turn him. He's not in a good way right now, between the crumbling of his marriage, his guilt over the collateral damage of murdering Vlad, and his ambivalence over being called a hero for killing Bruce Dameran. I have a feeling he's more likely to choose suicide or prison over treason, but he's just rattled and lost enough that it really could go in any direction, up to and including violence against Nina the moment she tells him what's really been happening.

This episode already provides us with a large man violently subduing, then murdering, a smaller woman, as Larrick takes over Kate's apartment and figures out how to decode messages from the Centre using her notebook. Kate didn't make a huge impression as anything other than the polar opposite of Claudia (and I wonder how this whole story would have played out were it not for Margo Martindale's day job), so the impact of her death mainly comes from getting another example of the threat Larrick poses to Philip and Elizabeth (or, worse, to Paige and Henry), and from continuing the mystery of Emmett and Leanne's murder. Why was Kate meeting with Jared? Why was she doing it without any attempt to conceal her identity? What exactly does Jared know, and why was Kate's dying message to Philip and Elizabeth a request to get Jared out of his present circumstances? We still don't really know who killed Jared's parents, or why, and there's not a lot of season to wrap that up while also dealing with the many other threads, but the trail is intriguing.

And back to Paige, I remain impressed with how well the show has managed to integrate her (and, to a much lesser extent, Henry) this season. In general, this kind of show does not do well by the offspring of its adult characters, since their stories can feel, at best, like a distraction from what the show's really about. But in the case of "The Americans," the family drama is fundamentally baked into the concept, it provides frequent tension both personally and professionally for Philip (who has made clear that he would choose his kids over the cause) and Elizabeth (who is more of a true believer), and the battle of Soviet and US ideologies makes a story as innocuous as Paige's interest in church become something much thornier and more interesting. So here, we understand where Elizabeth is coming from in her fear of religious indoctrination, even as Philip seems to recognize that they're doing more harm than good by making church into a forbidden thing for their daughter. Paige has no idea what's really driving her parents' opposition, but she accidentally stumbles upon an angle that helps bridge the gap between them: her church's activism against nuclear weapons.

It's not a permanent release from the ideological prison she finds herself in, but at least it's a furlough. Whether anyone else — anyone still living, that is — can escape their current horrible circumstances remains to be seen over the season's last two episodes. I don't expect them to be dull.

Some other thoughts:

* Tonight's creative credits read like a Best of the '80s selection: script by "St. Elsewhere" co-creator Joshua Brand, direction by "Hill Street Blues" veteran Gregory Hoblit. (And in case you missed it, I wrote a thing about the "Hill Street Blues" DVD last week.)

* Boy, was Zeljko Ivanek wonderful at conveying just how lost and empty and confused John has become due to the cancer. Some of that is excellent work by the costume and makeup people, but that dead look in his eyes is all performance. He's had recent experience playing a cancer victim on "Banshee" (a show pitched in a very different frequency to this one), and won an Emmy in 2008 for his last FX gig, playing Ray Fiske on "Damages." A great character actor whom the business doesn't always know how to use properly (see "The Mob Doctor"), but he was amazing tonight.

* We've reached this place in television where snapping an opponents' neck is treated as this thing that not only every killer can do, but do with relative ease. Larrick is the kind of guy who would have that training, and I appreciated that at least it was presented as something that required some real physical effort, despite the size/strength differential between him and Kate.

Man, this show has a lot of plates spinning at once. I wonder how many subplots they'll try to resolve in the next two episodes and how many will carry over to season 3.

Gaad's "Just how many Illegals are in the DC area? 4? 6? A DOZEN?" had me chuckling. It reminded me of "Who ARE those guys?" from Butch & Sundance.

Does Nina even have an end-game in mind or is she just reacting however she feels she needs to to survive? I can't see any way this ends well for both her AND Stan.

Good to see Ray Fiske from Damages.

Nice to see Beecher from Oz sink his teeth into something juicy... but I'm not loving his character as super-villain-will-hunt-you plot device. Aside from the writers sometimes rushing some heavy things past us, that's the only down-side for me so far. Continued fantastic acting, writing and direction (even the score has been solid).

I was sad to see the new ruskie handler get her neck snapped- she turned my crank in a big way, if you know what I mean.

Nice to see Beecher from Oz sink his teeth into something juicy... but I'm not loving his character as super-villain-will-hunt-you plot device. Aside from the writers sometimes rushing some heavy things past us, that's the only down-side for me so far. Continued fantastic acting, writing and direction (even the score has been solid).

I was sad to see the new ruskie handler get her neck snapped- she turned my crank in a big way, if you know what I mean.
No kidding; I was crushed. Until I looked her up a week or two ago, I didn't realize that I had seen that actress (Wrenn Schmidt) many times before - she was Julia, Richard Harrow's squeeze, on Boardwalk Empire. I guess on BE they had her dressing more dowdily and with makeup and hair that for whatever reason totally disguised the fact that she's a redhead with freckles and a really nice body. Cutie. Sorry she's gone from this show - which BTW continues to be amazing. I wonder how Nina will get out of this one?

Becoming one of my favorite shows, maybe ever. Just so different with so many freakin' angles.

In some ways, it's as much conflict for the viewer as it is for the characters. Albeit fare less dire consequences.

Still not liking the Beecher/Terminator plot-line which feels like lazy/forced drama- there's enough going on without him for me.

But still enjoying this as much as anything else out there. Not sure if it transcends to greatness for me, but it's definitely upper shelf stuff.

I'm willing to give the showrunners some rope with Larrick - they've earned it, at least from me. Keep in mind that a show many think (including me) that is the best of all time - Breaking Bad - had several hyperreal (or surreal, or both) elements to it. I can suspend disbelief for a bit when a show is as well put-together as The Americans is. That said, I think the Larrick storyline needs to wrap up in one way or another pretty quickly before I start rolling my eyes at it.

Uruk-Hai said:
I'm willing to give the showrunners some rope with Larrick - they've earned it, at least from me. Keep in mind that a show many think (including me) that is the best of all time - Breaking Bad - had several hyperreal (or surreal, or both) elements to it. I can suspend disbelief for a bit when a show is as well put-together as The Americans is. That said, I think the Larrick storyline needs to wrap up in one way or another pretty quickly before I start rolling my eyes at it.
I hope Larrick is killed next week. I'm glad Martha finally mentioned that she knew Clark's hair wasn't real.

Users who are viewing this thread