What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

THE JEEP THREAD > All Things Jeep (1 Viewer)

MacArtist said:
ICON, I have the two-door 2013 Sport. I do need a light top for the summer months so that i can remove my hard-top panels. Do you recommend Spider Web? Or is there another brand you think is better? The Texas sun can be brutal.
Sorry Mac but 100pct unfamiliar with the spider web so I can't speak to it one way or another. Images look solid for that type of product though!

First email in to a dealer, here we go. My thought is that since I don't need anything until August, I can just watch whats available, throw out low ball offers, and be patient and get to know the market before I really have to move on something. If someone bites and gives me a great deal in the mean time, giddyup.
Keep an eye on private sales as well.... I see rigs going on forums for a steal.
I assume forum sellers will be those sellers who have driven them hard on trails? I guess I'm looking to find one that was used mainly on the road. I'm checking the websites (autotrader, carsoup, craiglist) that are going to include both dealers and private sales.
It depends. Most jeeps on the forums like ours have seen SOME trail time but honestly basic trails aren't going to Hurt a wrangler. You're just looking out for jeeps that have been beat on.

25th wedding anniversary present I bought for my wife. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8213/8332763740_268cb0b188_c.jpg

Now THAT'S love.
Yep!Congrats on the purchase. You guys stripped it down and taken it out yet?
Just yesterday as a matter of fact. Weather hasn't cooperated much. Even yesterday, by the time I got back home (I had the Jeep) it was getting chilly but we took it out for about a half hour of topless driving by the river. Not planning on many mods but she does want to get it lifted and bigger tires. We'll see. Did replace all the stock speakers and installed a Bazooka sub. I needed my tunes!

25th wedding anniversary present I bought for my wife. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8213/8332763740_268cb0b188_c.jpg

Now THAT'S love.
Just yesterday as a matter of fact. Weather hasn't cooperated much. Even yesterday, by the time I got back home (I had the Jeep) it was getting chilly but we took it out for about a half hour of topless driving by the river. Not planning on many mods but she does want to get it lifted and bigger tires. We'll see. Did replace all the stock speakers and installed a Bazooka sub. I needed my tunes!
Nice. You can fit 31x10.50 pretty comfortably under a stock height TJ like yours. Much bigger will require a lift. You can lift it 1" via body lift easily or 2" via "budget boost" or coil spacer lift. Either is about 100 bucks and the latter will allow you to squeeze 33" tires under there.A budget boost can be installed in a driveway with basic tools and 2 guys with a little know how. Rent a coil spring compressor from autozone and you can knock it out in 2 hours. 45 minutes if you and your buddy are particularly handy and the bolts aren't too rusted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Now THAT'S love.
Nice. You can fit 31x10.50 pretty comfortably under a stock height TJ like yours. Much bigger will require a lift. You can lift it 1" via body lift easily or 2" via "budget boost" or coil spacer lift. Either is about 100 bucks and the latter will allow you to squeeze 33" tires under there.A budget boost can be installed in a driveway with basic tools and 2 guys with a little know how. Rent a coil spring compressor from autozone and you can knock it out in 2 hours. 45 minutes if you and your buddy are particularly handy and the bolts aren't too rusted.
I'm giving her the "I'm concerned about handling/stability" line...when in reality if it gets much higher I'll have to use the running board to get in. :old:

Now THAT'S love.
I'm giving her the "I'm concerned about handling/stability" line...when in reality if it gets much higher I'll have to use the running board to get in. :old:
Grab handle strap on the roll cage (10 bucks) and you've got a hoist to easily get yourself up and in. :) You have little to worry about but if stability is actually a concern then a 1" body lift simply raises the body up 1" from the frame and leaves all the heavy stuff (engine, transmission, etc) at the same height to help maintain a low COG.

That said, wranglers are surprisingly nimble.

After icon's recommendation and some research decided on BF Goodrich All TerrainT/A KO LT265/70R17.

After lunch I'm going to pull it into the shop and put on the side steps/running board.

Also ordered couple more items:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CG9QFY/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00651CLCS/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I also ordered some touch up paint for when I have to drill into the tailgate.

I'm excited. Jeeps are the Ruger 10/22 of the automotive world.
They are infinitely customizeable no doubt. Be careful though... next thing you know your ride looks goofy because you have too much stuff strapped to it.
Agreed.

Still debating between the Alloy vs. Steel Wheels.

Is there a noticeable difference in ride, acceleration, braking between the steelies vs. alloy?

After icon's recommendation and some research decided on BF Goodrich All TerrainT/A KO LT265/70R17.

After lunch I'm going to pull it into the shop and put on the side steps/running board.

Also ordered couple more items:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CG9QFY/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00651CLCS/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

I also ordered some touch up paint for when I have to drill into the tailgate.

I'm excited. Jeeps are the Ruger 10/22 of the automotive world.
They are infinitely customizeable no doubt. Be careful though... next thing you know your ride looks goofy because you have too much stuff strapped to it.
Agreed.

Still debating between the Alloy vs. Steel Wheels.

Is there a noticeable difference in ride, acceleration, braking between the steelies vs. alloy?
While unsprung weight / rotational weight (wheels/tires) has one of the greatest impacts on perceived acceleration, I'd not think you'd find any perceivable difference between alloy/steel wheels all other things being equal.

Now.. moving from OEM alloy wheels and 30" tires to Steelies with 33" tires? Yes. Quite noticeable though that's due almost as much to the change in tire diameter as to the added weight.

[icon] said:
3C said:
[icon] said:
3C said:
[icon] said:

Now THAT'S love.
Grab handle strap on the roll cage (10 bucks) and you've got a hoist to easily get yourself up and in. You have little to worry about but if stability is actually a concern then a 1" body lift simply raises the body up 1" from the frame and leaves all the heavy stuff (engine, transmission, etc) at the same height to help maintain a low COG.

Did a VIN search and found out it has 3.07 gears. Thinking 33" is out without a gear change and that's not happening.

MacArtist said:
[icon],

What do you think about the ACE rock slider/rails? I don't have step-up bars on my Jeep. Love the look of the ACE and while I won't take it off road, it would mainly for looks and keep suburban families from slamming their car doors into my Jeep. I've read some Jeep owners look down on Nerf bars which is why im looking at ACE. Thoughts?
My personal preference is inded against most nerf bars but those are pretty solidly built. This is the JK version of mine, but they involve drilling holes in your tub and bolting the sliders up to it... Something most folks aren't wiling to do :)

http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-JK-4-Door-Sliders-p/18-08-020.htm

Those ace sliders should do alright for your needs and look solid (some side bars drop too low or ate made with thin tubing that will dent in a stiff breeze). Should be pretty easily installed as well.

[icon] said:
3C said:
[icon] said:
3C said:
[icon] said:

Now THAT'S love.
Grab handle strap on the roll cage (10 bucks) and you've got a hoist to easily get yourself up and in. You have little to worry about but if stability is actually a concern then a 1" body lift simply raises the body up 1" from the frame and leaves all the heavy stuff (engine, transmission, etc) at the same height to help maintain a low COG.

Did a VIN search and found out it has 3.07 gears. Thinking 33" is out without a gear change and that's not happening.
Yep 3.07 = 31" max

MacArtist said:
So I'm going to get the Spiderweb screen. Would you recommend having a solid cloth covering that I can throw on real quick on case of inclement weather? Or do Jeeps hold up pretty well if the interior gets a little wet?
I can't tell you how many times I've come out of the office to find my jeep with 1" of standing water on the floor boards. Some of the electronics can be an issue if it rains hard at an angle but generally they hold up alright and are somewhat protected from light moisture. I wouldn't over think it. Part of having a wrangler is keeping one eye on the weather. ;)

MacArtist said:
MacArtist said:
So I'm going to get the Spiderweb screen. Would you recommend having a solid cloth covering that I can throw on real quick on case of inclement weather? Or do Jeeps hold up pretty well if the interior gets a little wet?
I can't tell you how many times I've come out of the office to find my jeep with 1" of standing water on the floor boards. Some of the electronics can be an issue if it rains hard at an angle but generally they hold up alright and are somewhat protected from light moisture. I wouldn't over think it. Part of having a wrangler is keeping one eye on the weather. ;)
Thanks again. Jeep is my baby. A while back you mentioned a lock box. How hard would it be to take the rear seats out and have a "trunk" lock box and use the rear seat space as a "trunk" of sorts for hauling grocery? Wife and I don't plan on really using the back seats much.
Tuffy are the experts at this:http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-116-rear-cargo-security-lockbox.aspx

I need some help. Due to the weather I had to put the top and doors back on my 2010 Wrangler (for the first time). I bought a torque wrench for the 6 bolts for the top, but it seemed to be tightening them way too much and the wrench had yet to click at torque. Do most use a torque wrench or just tighten them by feel. They were very easy to take out, so I tightened them to firm and then lightly snugged them. With the freedom top back on and the screws in the top is on solidly (and was before putting the freedom top on as well). Made sure to oil the door pins before putting those back on too. It was awful taking them off.

I can't speak for the tip, but the doors are rough to lift out the first few times. It's all about leverage and finding the right angles. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy though!

I need some help. Due to the weather I had to put the top and doors back on my 2010 Wrangler (for the first time). I bought a torque wrench for the 6 bolts for the top, but it seemed to be tightening them way too much and the wrench had yet to click at torque. Do most use a torque wrench or just tighten them by feel. They were very easy to take out, so I tightened them to firm and then lightly snugged them. With the freedom top back on and the screws in the top is on solidly (and was before putting the freedom top on as well). Made sure to oil the door pins before putting those back on too. It was awful taking them off.
I've never used a torque wrench on my top and have never had a problem with it, even in Cleveland winters. (I only use the hard top in the winter, i have a soft for summer) I just snug the bolts up with a ratchet. I've never taken the doors off mine so I can't speak to that.

I've never used a torque wrench on my top and have never had a problem with it, even in Cleveland winters. (I only use the hard top in the winter, i have a soft for summer) I just snug the bolts up with a ratchet. I've never taken the doors off mine so I can't speak to that.
Thanks, guess I took the manual a bit to seriously by buying the torque wrench. Just wanted to be sure not to crack the top. On this end, I found these: http://jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_hardtop_saver/index.htm posted on a Jeep message board. Are these overkill too, our would they be worth the $30 to be sure not to crack the top?

Thanks, guess I took the manual a bit to seriously by buying the torque wrench. Just wanted to be sure not to crack the top. On this end, I found these: http://jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_hardtop_saver/index.htm posted on a Jeep message board. Are these overkill too, our would they be worth the $30 to be sure not to crack the top?
I would think a $0.75 bag of nylon/poly washers from home depot would do the same thing if you were concerned about it.

MacArtist said:
MacArtist said:
I can't tell you how many times I've come out of the office to find my jeep with 1" of standing water on the floor boards. Some of the electronics can be an issue if it rains hard at an angle but generally they hold up alright and are somewhat protected from light moisture. I wouldn't over think it. Part of having a wrangler is keeping one eye on the weather.
Thanks again. Jeep is my baby. A while back you mentioned a lock box. How hard would it be to take the rear seats out and have a "trunk" lock box and use the rear seat space as a "trunk" of sorts for hauling grocery? Wife and I don't plan on really using the back seats much.
Tuffy are the experts at this:http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-116-rear-cargo-security-lockbox.aspx
I had a tuffy center console in my 89 wrangler....before i could bolt it down someone pulled the whole console out of my jeep. A few weeks after it disappeared I got a call from the sheriffs dept, they found it on the side of the road and had to cut out the lock with a flame cutter and found some personal stuff i had in there and called me. Apparently the thiefs couldn't get it open

I had a tuffy center console in my 89 wrangler....before i could bolt it down someone pulled the whole console out of my jeep. A few weeks after it disappeared I got a call from the sheriffs dept, they found it on the side of the road and had to cut out the lock with a flame cutter and found some personal stuff i had in there and called me. Apparently the thiefs couldn't get it open
:lol:

Sounds about right... you're not breaking into a Tuffy Console that is bolted into a jeep. Period.

I would think a $0.75 bag of nylon/poly washers from home depot would do the same thing if you were concerned about it.
:goodposting:

Been messing around here and there adding little things.

Installed:

Stubby Antenna

http://www.amazon.com/Off-Road-13-inch-ANTENNA-Unlimited/dp/B00651CLCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370538537&sr=8-1&keywords=jeep+antenna

Thoughts: I like the look a lot better. There was a downgrade in reception, but it wasn't as bad as what some people say. I'm keeping it on.

Smittybilt Tailgate Cover

http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-5662301-G-E-A-R-Tailgate-Wrangler/dp/B003CG9QFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370538657&sr=8-1&keywords=smittybilt+tailgate+cover

Thoughts: This is cool. Very handy to put tools in, etc. You have to drill into your tailgate to install. Wasn't bad. Also ordered factory touch up paint and painted after drilling. Looks very sharp.

Bestop Supertop NX

http://www.amazon.com/54723-35-Replacement-included--2007-2012-Unlimited/dp/B004P1WNXC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370539117&sr=8-2&keywords=bestop+supertop+nx

Thoughts: Another winner. Love it. Just installed a few days ago and it has been raining ever since of course. Nice thing is I know it doesn't leak now I suppose. Install wasn't bad, just really stupid and misleading instructions. Decided on this over the Trektop NX because I wanted the top to fold all the way down and have it on the jeep vs. having to take it off on the trektop if you want full topless.

Coverking Neoprene Seat Covers

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14302_121X_PG.htm

Ordered. On back order. Quadratec was running the special that included the back seat covers for free. Total cost $169.99. I guess we'll see.

Black Rock Wheels

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92613_0350_07.htm

I went with 17 x 8 steelies. Ordering today.

BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO&partnum=67R7ATAKORWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Went with LT265/70R17. Going with the white lettering to the INSIDE. Also ordering today.

Next to market or Jeep will likely be a Pickup style Jeep most-likely based off the JK platform (expected 2016 Model Year Release). Jeep hasn't had a pickup since the 80's with the Comanche (My first vehicle was an 86 Comanche).

It will be interesting to see if they run quadra-coil (limits load capacity but increases capability off road) which has been the signature wrangler suspension since 1997, or if they'll move to a leaf sprung rear to increase payload capacity.

It will also be interesting to see how the engine situation sorts out. Jeep has finally started moving into Turbo-diesel territory. I'd LOVE to see a JK-platform based Pickup featuring the 3.0L Turbo Diesel V6 in the '14 Grand Cherokee. (240 and impressive torque at 420 lb-ft - 7200 Towing Capacity - 22 mpg city/30 highway economy). Certainly not trying to compete with the true workhorse pickups but more than enough power for the vast majority of the market.
My BIL is general manager at the place that put this thing together, had a chance to ride in it a couple weekends ago. Pretty sweet vehicle.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/01/jeep-jk-six-pak-concept-sema-2012/

Next to market or Jeep will likely be a Pickup style Jeep most-likely based off the JK platform (expected 2016 Model Year Release). Jeep hasn't had a pickup since the 80's with the Comanche (My first vehicle was an 86 Comanche).

It will be interesting to see if they run quadra-coil (limits load capacity but increases capability off road) which has been the signature wrangler suspension since 1997, or if they'll move to a leaf sprung rear to increase payload capacity.

It will also be interesting to see how the engine situation sorts out. Jeep has finally started moving into Turbo-diesel territory. I'd LOVE to see a JK-platform based Pickup featuring the 3.0L Turbo Diesel V6 in the '14 Grand Cherokee. (240 and impressive torque at 420 lb-ft - 7200 Towing Capacity - 22 mpg city/30 highway economy). Certainly not trying to compete with the true workhorse pickups but more than enough power for the vast majority of the market.
My BIL is general manager at the place that put this thing together, had a chance to ride in it a couple weekends ago. Pretty sweet vehicle.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/01/jeep-jk-six-pak-concept-sema-2012/
:thumbup:

Awesome! It's like the TJ/LJ Unlimited version of the 1997-2006 wrangler... longer tub for more room, only they're adding 3rd row seating. Very cool. I could see that being a hit with jeep tour places (moab, colorado, etc) as well.

Thoughts:

Installed:

Stubby Antenna

http://www.amazon.com/Off-Road-13-inch-ANTENNA-Unlimited/dp/B00651CLCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370538537&sr=8-1&keywords=jeep+antenna

Thoughts: I like the look a lot better. There was a downgrade in reception, but it wasn't as bad as what some people say. I'm keeping it on.

Not a fan of the look but a lot of people are. If you like it that's all that matters... Jeeps are heavily customizable to build what YOU like! :thumbup:

http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-5662301-G-E-A-R-Tailgate-Wrangler/dp/B003CG9QFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370538657&sr=8-1&keywords=smittybilt+tailgate+cover

Thoughts: This is cool. Very handy to put tools in, etc. You have to drill into your tailgate to install. Wasn't bad. Also ordered factory touch up paint and painted after drilling. Looks very sharp.

Nice! Yeah those sorts of things can be very handy. Storage in a wrangler is at a premium generally so anything that allows for added space like that is always nice.
Bestop Supertop NX

http://www.amazon.com/54723-35-Replacement-included--2007-2012-Unlimited/dp/B004P1WNXC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370539117&sr=8-2&keywords=bestop+supertop+nx

Thoughts: Another winner. Love it. Just installed a few days ago and it has been raining ever since of course. Nice thing is I know it doesn't leak now I suppose. Install wasn't bad, just really stupid and misleading instructions. Decided on this over the Trektop NX because I wanted the top to fold all the way down and have it on the jeep vs. having to take it off on the trektop if you want full topless.

Good to hear! Bestop are not hte best with their instructions for sure. Glad you're happy with it though! Noted.

Ordered. On back order. Quadratec was running the special that included the back seat covers for free. Total cost $169.99. I guess we'll see.

One concern on these things is if they get wet they HOLD moisture badly... they'll also collect puddles in the rain. The OEM seats (at least on TJs) drained faster and dried remarkably quickly in comparison. Just something to consider. Also neoprene tends to fade pretty quickly in a topless jeep. Not saying don't get em... just be prepared for it. Leave some towels in the jeep to avoid wet-### as needed.

Black Rock Wheels

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO&partnum=67R7ATAKORWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Went with LT265/70R17. Going with the white lettering to the INSIDE. Also ordering today.

Very nice wheel and tire combo. I think you'll be very happy with them. Smart move going with the narrow (8") wheel... narrower wheels = can run lower tire pressure without risk of unseating the bead. :thumbup:

Another dumb question I can't find an answer to; what kind of strength should I expect from the hood tie down? I have been tying down the front end of my kayak for a few short trips and all seems well. I am doing a Kayak duathlon tomorrow and have to drop my kayak tonight and its a bit of a drive, including time on the highway. I'll have it double strapped over the roll cage, so any sort of pull on the tie down should be minimal and just to keep it shifting from front to back (and it will be tied down on back as well.

Ok, NEWBIE question - I presume that when in 4 wheel dry on pavement, when doing a slow, tight turn, it SHOULD grip oddly due to front and rear tires moving in unison, correct? Was just testing the switch to 4 wheel drive and noticed the "jumpiness" on the tight turn and at first freaked like wtf is wrong, then realized its likely normal... and I won't be using 4wd on pavement without snow etc anyway but want to make sure.

Ok, NEWBIE question - I presume that when in 4 wheel dry on pavement, when doing a slow, tight turn, it SHOULD grip oddly due to front and rear tires moving in unison, correct? Was just testing the switch to 4 wheel drive and noticed the "jumpiness" on the tight turn and at first freaked like wtf is wrong, then realized its likely normal... and I won't be using 4wd on pavement without snow etc anyway but want to make sure.
Normal

Normal
Thought so. For about 30 seconds I was like WTF - especially since Im going on vacation in a week and will take her on some trails and light offroading but will need 4WD.

Appreciate the answer.

Black Rock Wheels

Very nice wheel and tire combo. I think you'll be very happy with them. Smart move going with the narrow (8") wheel... narrower wheels = can run lower tire pressure without risk of unseating the bead. :thumbup:
1. Do the wheels come in a size that would work with the stock tires and would this be a viable solution. I can swing 500 or so for new wheels, but going to like 2000 aint gonna happen

2. How long should I expect my tires to last? Im on a lease, so if I am going to go through a set or two it would make my point with the wifey about investing in different tires more palatable as I can use the stocks toward the end (although Im secretly expecting to buy the jeep off the lease and keep it, then eventually use it as a second car. Im hooked)

Another dumb question I can't find an answer to; what kind of strength should I expect from the hood tie down? I have been tying down the front end of my kayak for a few short trips and all seems well. I am doing a Kayak duathlon tomorrow and have to drop my kayak tonight and its a bit of a drive, including time on the highway. I'll have it double strapped over the roll cage, so any sort of pull on the tie down should be minimal and just to keep it shifting from front to back (and it will be tied down on back as well.
They are pretty sturdy. They are actually designed originally for strapping the windshield down (when folded down) but they also double nicely as ties for stuff like you're using. Keep in mind it's not just the latches on the side of the hood holding it... but the traditional metal latch on the front. I'd not worry about it too much, personally. :)

Black Rock Wheels

1. Do the wheels come in a size that would work with the stock tires and would this be a viable solution. I can swing 500 or so for new wheels, but going to like 2000 aint gonna happen

2. How long should I expect my tires to last? Im on a lease, so if I am going to go through a set or two it would make my point with the wifey about investing in different tires more palatable as I can use the stocks toward the end (although Im secretly expecting to buy the jeep off the lease and keep it, then eventually use it as a second car. Im hooked)
It can be done either way. You should be able to buy new wheels that you will be able to mount your OEM tires to (if you prefer that route) or vice versa.

Tires.. it depends GREATLY on model of tire, how well you do rotating them, etc. I've averaged about 30-35k out of my Maxxis Bighorn Mud Terrains and that's not running them to bald by any stretch of the imagination... usually run them to 40% or so then sell them and replace with new tires. BFG All Terrains are known for going a good 50k+ if you take care of them.

After buying the wife a new car I took over the 04 Jeep Liberty. On the scale of Homo to flaming where am I?

MacArtist said:
Spiderwebshade is great. Just be sure to double loop the straps around your rollbars to get it good and tight...it will take some effort to achieve...get up on a stepstool or something to get a good angle at it. You don't want it flapping. It will keep some water out but not all.

MacArtist said:
Love my Spiderweb shade! Ordered the black. It definitely doesn't keep water out. Left my Jeep outside overnight a week or so ago as we were using the garage for wood-working. Wife woke up to the sound of rain. We frantically ran to the garage, made room for the Jeep, pulled it in. There was an inch of water in the cupholders. Yikes!
Your only real enemy here is mildew... make sure it dries out in a well ventilated area and you've got no worries.

MacArtist said:
After it stopped raining, it was clear and sunny all day in the driveway, which is where I moved it to dry out. Do you have any tips re: seat covers, etc that help prevent mildew in case this happens again?
I'm convinced the jeep seat covers have anti microbal elements built in already. Mine has been SOAKED (as in inches of water in floor, seats with puddles) probably 10-15 times easily. Only time I've ever had mildew was when I had it closed up and left it in the garage in the summer (warm) for a couple days. Just open it up a bit.... let the sun dry the interior if you can.

There's no need to treat the seats or floor with anything if that's what you're asking....I'm convinced jeep has already done something like that.

Taking the Jeep out onto real trails this weekend for the first time in over a year. In January I did a bit of wheeling on a buddy's land but it wasn't anything crazy. Heading down to Hawk Pride Offroad park in Tuscumbia AL for the Southern Rock Racing event (saturday AM) then riding in the park saturday PM and sunday AM. Group will be my TJ, a buddy's built 4 runner, another buddy and his fiancee in his new WildCat X (1000cc UTV on 30" tires with 18" travel), and possibly another good friend in his TJ Rubicon w 4.5" Lift and 35s (left).

These guys are 4 of my half dozen or so favorite folks to wheel with. Been riding together since I started and it's been happening with decreasing frequency so I'm kinda stoked about it :) Have another buddy and his girl who are virigins to the whole jeeping/Buggy scene who will be riding in my back seat for the weekend. Might let him drive a couple trails to set the hook :lol:

Some pics of some of the toys that will be out there this weekend:

Tripp Pullen and his BUILT Can Am Maverick. Tripp is possibly the baddest UTV driver in the nation right now and is best known for finishing a race with a huge jump that shattered the front end so when it bounced back up he held a wheelie for the last 25-30 yards of the race for the win. :lol:

Jordan "Air Jordan" "Jo jo" Tanner : Called air jordan for his propensity to launch his custom built Jimmy Smith chassied buggy into the air to get over obstacles. In this photo he was landing from a massive jump... blew out both front tires and kept the throttle down trying to make it...shredding $1400 in tires in the process. No dice. Reloaded and made it on the 2nd attempt.

Shelby Tanner: Smokin hot 22yo blonde sister of Jordan Tanner. Not afraid to get wrong side up. Also Not afraid to get muddy either (that's after being the first person to make it up a bonus hill that day). Riding shotgun there is none other than my crazy buddy, Tripp (see above).

Bobby Tanner (jordan/shelby's old man): Like father like son

Oops :lol:

Violent roll

These camera men that shoot these events are insane

Taking the Jeep out onto real trails this weekend for the first time in over a year. In January I did a bit of wheeling on a buddy's land but it wasn't anything crazy. Heading down to Hawk Pride Offroad park in Tuscumbia AL for the Southern Rock Racing event (saturday AM) then riding in the park saturday PM and sunday AM. Group will be my TJ, a buddy's built 4 runner, another buddy and his fiancee in his new WildCat X (1000cc UTV on 30" tires with 18" travel), and possibly another good friend in his TJ Rubicon w 4.5" Lift and 35s (left).

These guys are 4 of my half dozen or so favorite folks to wheel with. Been riding together since I started and it's been happening with decreasing frequency so I'm kinda stoked about it :) Have another buddy and his girl who are virigins to the whole jeeping/Buggy scene who will be riding in my back seat for the weekend. Might let him drive a couple trails to set the hook :lol:
Wow that wildcat x is stock built by arctic cat? I've been out of the game a long time, can't believe a large company is building something like that.

Wow that wildcat x is stock built by arctic cat? I've been out of the game a long time, can't believe a large company is building something like that.
no no no...

That is heavily customized by Spyder Offroad, a buddy's shop in MS. the cage, doors, and parts of the suspension are 100% custom fabricated. The tires are 30" tires... a good bit bigger than stock as well. The red cage actually just got out of powdercoat 2 days ago. First trip out with it he rolled it twice and blew the steering. Upgraded the cage and steering and we're taking it out again this weekend.

stock wildcat:

http://utvguide.net/images/ArcticCat-Wildcat-101.jpg

no no no...

That is heavily customized by Spyder Offroad, a buddy's shop in MS. the cage, doors, and parts of the suspension are 100% custom fabricated. The tires are 30" tires... a good bit bigger than stock as well. The red cage actually just got out of powdercoat 2 days ago. First trip out with it he rolled it twice and blew the steering. Upgraded the cage and steering and we're taking it out again this weekend.

stock wildcat:

http://utvguide.net/images/ArcticCat-Wildcat-101.jpg
OK that makes a little more sense

Nice. You can fit 31x10.50 pretty comfortably under a stock height TJ like yours. Much bigger will require a lift. You can lift it 1" via body lift easily or 2" via "budget boost" or coil spacer lift. Either is about 100 bucks and the latter will allow you to squeeze 33" tires under there.

A budget boost can be installed in a driveway with basic tools and 2 guys with a little know how. Rent a coil spring compressor from autozone and you can knock it out in 2 hours. 45 minutes if you and your buddy are particularly handy and the bolts aren't too rusted.
[ I'm giving her the "I'm concerned about handling/stability" line...when in reality if it gets much higher I'll have to use the running board to get in. :old:
Grab handle strap on the roll cage (10 bucks) and you've got a hoist to easily get yourself up and in.You have little to worry about but if stability is actually a concern then a 1" body lift simply raises the body up 1" from the frame and leaves all the heavy stuff (engine, transmission, etc) at the same height to help maintain a low COG.

Yep 3.07 = 31" max
Revisiting this as one of the tires needs to be replaced. I've seen pics of 31s on stock with no lift. I contacted a local company about a 2" suspension lift which wasn't too bad but when I asked about putting 33s on the price jumped way high. I would think if 31s would fit w/o a lift that 33s would fit with a 2" suspension lift. No?

The question of no 33s with 307 gears...we do have the strong 6 cylinder so wonder if that makes a difference vs the wimpy 4 cylinder.

Think ours would look like this with 31s and no lift, which isn't a bad look. link

Nice. You can fit 31x10.50 pretty comfortably under a stock height TJ like yours. Much bigger will require a lift. You can lift it 1" via body lift easily or 2" via "budget boost" or coil spacer lift. Either is about 100 bucks and the latter will allow you to squeeze 33" tires under there.

A budget boost can be installed in a driveway with basic tools and 2 guys with a little know how. Rent a coil spring compressor from autozone and you can knock it out in 2 hours. 45 minutes if you and your buddy are particularly handy and the bolts aren't too rusted.
[ I'm giving her the "I'm concerned about handling/stability" line...when in reality if it gets much higher I'll have to use the running board to get in. :old:
Grab handle strap on the roll cage (10 bucks) and you've got a hoist to easily get yourself up and in.You have little to worry about but if stability is actually a concern then a 1" body lift simply raises the body up 1" from the frame and leaves all the heavy stuff (engine, transmission, etc) at the same height to help maintain a low COG.

Yep 3.07 = 31" max
Revisiting this as one of the tires needs to be replaced. I've seen pics of 31s on stock with no lift. I contacted a local company about a 2" suspension lift which wasn't too bad but when I asked about putting 33s on the price jumped way high. I would think if 31s would fit w/o a lift that 33s would fit with a 2" suspension lift. No?

The question of no 33s with 307 gears...we do have the strong 6 cylinder so wonder if that makes a difference vs the wimpy 4 cylinder.

Think ours would look like this with 31s and no lift, which isn't a bad look. link
307 gears, even with the I6, will be a complete dog with 33" tires. You can do it, but expect to have to downshift frequently. 31x10.50 tires will fit nicely on a stock jeep. There is a chance you might get some rubbing at full steering lock. This can be fixed with some washers at the steering stops. If you're concerned you could add a 1" body lift very easily in the garage with a hi-lift jack and some hand tools. You'll notice a slight dip in performance moving to 31s, but it should be good.

If you want to go to 33s you'll be fine with a 2" suspension lift.. yes. If there is concern add a 1" Body lift.

CHeap 2" Spacer lift >

Good 2.5" Suspension Lift >

Complete 2.5" Suspension Lift > (not necessary for any but serious crawlers)

What prices are you being quoted and what specific lifts/wheels/tires are they quoting you?

Yep 3.07 = 31" max

307 gears, even with the I6, will be a complete dog with 33" tires. You can do it, but expect to have to downshift frequently. 31x10.50 tires will fit nicely on a stock jeep. There is a chance you might get some rubbing at full steering lock. This can be fixed with some washers at the steering stops. If you're concerned you could add a 1" body lift very easily in the garage with a hi-lift jack and some hand tools. You'll notice a slight dip in performance moving to 31s, but it should be good.

If you want to go to 33s you'll be fine with a 2" suspension lift.. yes. If there is concern add a 1" Body lift.

CHeap 2" Spacer lift >

Good 2.5" Suspension Lift >

Complete 2.5" Suspension Lift > (not necessary for any but serious crawlers)

What prices are you being quoted and what specific lifts/wheels/tires are they quoting you?
Remember as for as 307 gears and it being a dog, this is almost entirely a road vehicle. Wife just wants it to look cool.

The 2" lift was suspension plus shocks all the way around. $400 in parts and 5 hours labor.

97-06 JEEP WRANGLER TJ 2" LIFT BDS

SUSPENSION KIT (87JK393)

BDS034204 2" TJ LIFT FRONT COIL SPRING (USE IN K417H) 1.00

BDS034206 JEEP TJ 2" LIFT REAR COILS (USE IN K417H 1.00

BDS55975 SHOCK JEEP TJ LIFT 2" (USE IN K417H 2.00

BDS55979 BDS SHOCKS 2" TJ LIFT (USE IN K417H) 2.00

The 4" lift, which is probably more than needed for 33s has these charges, which is not including the tires, labor for tires and lift install, and there's new wheels in the list, which might be needed for this size tire. for the 31s I'm going stock rims at least for now.

4" JEEP TJ LIFT BILSTEIN 5100's 1.00 474.43 474.43

ADJUSTABLE TRACK BAR JEEP TJ 1.00 203.99 203.99

3.5 RE7002 STANDARD TJ 1.00 849.99 849.99

That BDS kit is solid. Good reviews. A bit steep for 2" lift but not too bad.

The gears are going to be MOST noticeable on the road. Is it an auto or stick? You ever ride a bike and shift up too fast? Where you're having to stand on the pedals to even get going? That's what your jeep will be like. If its a stick, start it in 2nd gear. Understand that when you get to a hill you'll often have to downshift to have the power to get up it. You will be effectively cutting your jeeps balls off if you try to run 307 gears on 33s. I had 3.73 factory gears and it was annoying. The suggested gear ratio is 4:56 for 33s. It's THAT far off. I run 4.88 gears for my 35s and I wish I had 5.13s in there but it woulda involved changing out my front axle (d30 only goes to 4.88)

I can't stress it enough. Budget $2k for gears before going to 33s.

These guys do solid work. Totally trust them, even if the tire prices are more than I'd pay elsewhere, but this is a road Jeep that can't take much lift/tires w/o a gear change. So 31s with or w/o a lift is likely. Thinking w/o at least at first. 33s might fit with the 2" lift they quoted but I don't want a dog. I use it to tow a trailer, not much weight most of the time but you never know when I might need a load of mulch.

Thoughts:

Installed:

Stubby Antenna

Not a fan of the look but a lot of people are. If you like it that's all that matters... Jeeps are heavily customizable to build what YOU like! :thumbup:

Nice! Yeah those sorts of things can be very handy. Storage in a wrangler is at a premium generally so anything that allows for added space like that is always nice.
Bestop Supertop NX

Good to hear! Bestop are not hte best with their instructions for sure. Glad you're happy with it though! Noted.

One concern on these things is if they get wet they HOLD moisture badly... they'll also collect puddles in the rain. The OEM seats (at least on TJs) drained faster and dried remarkably quickly in comparison. Just something to consider. Also neoprene tends to fade pretty quickly in a topless jeep. Not saying don't get em... just be prepared for it. Leave some towels in the jeep to avoid wet-### as needed.

Black Rock Wheels

No updates to the thread in awhile.

Took 3 months for the seat covers to come in through Quadratec. When I got them they were too big. We are talking like 8" of extra material. Weird. Sent them back for a refund.

Haven't done too much to the Jeep. Trying to make it as low profile as possible. Removed the decals and am going to PlastiDip the Trail Rated Badge.

Replaced the chrome Jeep emblem with a flat black one. Also did the grill mod. Just used some black gutter guard from mendards, zip ties, and gorilla glue. I like the look a lot. I wish there was a way to black out the door locks that was durable. I want zero chrome.

Next I think I'm going to install clear turn signals and reflectors.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55206_9004.htm

Other than that, just going to put the hard top back on next week before the snow flies. My daughter really wants to go top down doors off during a snow storm wearing ski masks. I think that would be fun. :bag:

Other than that, just going to put the hard top back on next week before the snow flies. My daughter really wants to go top down doors off during a snow storm wearing ski masks. I think that would be fun. :bag:
It's definitely fun, more fun when the snow is powdery.

Users who are viewing this thread