What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ONE sporting event/moment you'll never forgive (3 Viewers)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Think the title is pretty self explanatory...

Anyways, it really hit me yesterday, for no reason at all, that I far too often think about one sporting event that makes my blood boil. It's truly odd because 1) I was never a big fan of said player (but appreciated his greatness) and 2) never liked a team he played on until he came to my "hometown" team, but was pretty washed by then.

For some reason, and I've lived some insane sporting moments with clubs I support, this event sticks out to me and irks me to my core.

Terrel Owens HoF snubbing.

The NFL can eat a bag of soggy chips for eternity over this one - And you?

Anyways, it really hit me yesterday, for no reason at all, that I far too often think about one sporting event that makes my blood boil. It's truly odd because 1) I was never a big fan of said player (but appreciated his greatness) and 2) never liked a team he played on until he came to my "hometown" team, but was pretty washed by then.

For some reason, and I've lived some insane sporting moments with clubs I support, this event sticks out to me and irks me to my core.

What am I missing here? He’s in the hall of fame. Did he just get passed over the first year he was eligible?

What am I missing here? He’s in the hall of fame. Did he just get passed over the first year he was eligible?

Top of my head, it was 3 or 4yrs, but felt like an eternity.

He's a unanimous top 5 GOAT (often top 3) when you ask NFL players about WRs, but there was some stupid vendetta against him.

A player of that calibre should be lauded by the league, not dragged like an idiot for years waiting to get into something that they should've begged him to be part of

2009 NFC Championship.

As a Viking fan, of course I despise the Packers, but I always had the upmost respect for Brett Favre and very much enjoyed watching him play during his career. He seemed to have that kid on a playground aura about him. 2009 was such a fun year to be a Vikings fan. Every game was exciting to watch and you never knew what was going to happen. NO destroyed him during that championship game and course later we found out why. They still had a chance to win that game and in classic Favre fashion he threw the across the body throw that led to the INT and ended the game.

It was such a let down, not only because they didn't go to the Superbowl, but because that season was such a magical season and a fun season to watch and it was over. I think that was the most "let down" I have ever felt at the end of a season because I knew it would never be the same again.

As a baseball fan, there's 3 for me (kind of)

1. I wasn't living here then nor a Cardinals fan at the time, but the blown call by Don Deckinger in the 9th inning of Game 6 in the World Series is something everyone who grew up here gets sick about when brought up. Almost certainly cost the Cardinals the World Series with a single blown call.

2. That the Astros World Series win hasn't been vacated. With indisputable proof they cheated and it helped them win, that title should be stripped.

3. Especially in a game that wants to deny Pete Rose the HOF for gambling.

Ewing not dunking and instead missed a finger roll that would have went in 99/100
Similarly, John Starks going 2-for-18 from the field (including 0-for-11 from 3-point land) in Game 7 of the 1994 Finals. He was lights out all year long and then that clunker when it mattered most.

Bad enough that we had to endure that series with the TV split screen focused on the OJ car chase.

Ewing not dunking and instead missed a finger roll that would have went in 99/100
Similarly, John Starks going 2-for-18 from the field (including 0-for-11 from 3-point land) in Game 7 of the 1994 Finals. He was lights out all year long and then that clunker when it mattered most.

Bad enough that we had to endure that series with the TV split screen focused on the OJ car chase.

Orrrr

Charles Smith not making one of those roughly 4 shot attempts under the basket. Can also blame the refs for not calling a foul.

You a Browns fan, and this is the sporting event that sticks with you?

Soccer is full of bad referee decisions, but this game where Ronaldo scored two clearly offside goals is one of the most ridiculous ones I can recall. Right before the sport finally started rolling out VAR which, while not perfect, would have easily disallowed this type of crap.

I don't really have any moments that I hang into, guess I don't care that much but two I do remember watching at the time were

Dale Earnhardt flat tire on last lap of 1990 Daytona 500 (not the one he died)

Pirates blowing it against the braves 92ish?

2009 NFC Championship.

As a Viking fan, of course I despise the Packers, but I always had the upmost respect for Brett Favre and very much enjoyed watching him play during his career. He seemed to have that kid on a playground aura about him. 2009 was such a fun year to be a Vikings fan. Every game was exciting to watch and you never knew what was going to happen. NO destroyed him during that championship game and course later we found out why. They still had a chance to win that game and in classic Favre fashion he threw the across the body throw that led to the INT and ended the game.

It was such a let down, not only because they didn't go to the Superbowl, but because that season was such a magical season and a fun season to watch and it was over. I think that was the most "let down" I have ever felt at the end of a season because I knew it would never be the same again.
Vikings fans really could have their own thread...

2003 ALCS Game Seven

Red Sox/Yankees

Grady Little doesn't pull Pedro after the seventh when Pedro came off the mound and pointed to the sky, letting everybody know he was done.

Orrrr

Charles Smith not making one of those roughly 4 shot attempts under the basket. Can also blame the refs for not calling a foul.
Yeah I was thinking about Smith as well, but re-watched the video and while it sticks in the craws of Knicks fans all these years, it was also just great defense by those relentless Bulls:

2003 ALCS Game Seven

Red Sox/Yankees

Grady Little doesn't pull Pedro after the seventh when Pedro came off the mound and pointed to the sky, letting everybody know he was done.
That should be a forgotten memory after the following year. Curse you, Dave Roberts.

2003 ALCS Game Seven

Red Sox/Yankees

But that led to the 2004 ALCS which is the best series in baseball history and because 2003 happened it made it better.

That should be a forgotten memory after the following year. Curse you, Dave Roberts.

But that led to the 2004 ALCS which is the best series in baseball history and because 2003 happened it made it better.

You'd think so. It's possible that is the case. But the night of Game Seven in 2003 and its aftermath provided a pretty awful October that lasted until the next October. I was a diehard back then and lived and died with the Red Sox. That stung all the way until the next year, and when the Sox went down 0-3 in 2004, New England was probably the most depressing place on earth.

Yes, the 2004 ALCS comeback was the greatest sports spectating moment I've ever had and nothing will come close, but 2003 was still a shame even if it was inextricably linked to the joy of 2004.

Let's just say I would have rather seen the Sox go back-to-back, which they very well could have.

You'd think so. It's possible that is the case. But the night of Game Seven in 2003 and its aftermath provided a pretty awful October that lasted until the next October. I was a diehard back then and lived and died with the Red Sox. That stung all the way until the next year, and when the Sox went down 0-3 in 2004, New England was probably the most depressing place on earth.

Yes, the 2004 ALCS comeback was the greatest sports spectating moment I've ever had and nothing will come close, but 2003 was still a shame even if it was inextricably linked to the joy of 2004.

Let's just say I would have rather seen the Sox go back-to-back, which they very well could have.

Maybe, but look at it this way. The Cubs broke their curse, it was cool and now forgotten about. The 2004 Red Sox broke their curse and because of 2003 it will never be forgotten. I am a casual baseball fan and I can tell you where I was and what I was doing for those.four days in October.

The Webber timeout hurt.

I'm older but can still see Bill Buckner miss that grounder.

Leon Lett? Doh

Bartman. Poor guy, but that sucked.

Users who are viewing this thread