What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ONE sporting event/moment you'll never forgive (1 Viewer)

The Bears one loss in 1985 was a MNF game against Miami.

Buddy Ryan called incessant blitzes against Marino, leaving Gary Fencik and Dave Duerson in one-on-coverage against Clayton/Duper. The blitzes were usually so ferocious that it didn't matter who was covering because no QB had the time or arm strength to take advantage--but now they faced a guy with one of the strongest and quickest releases in the history of the game.

The story is that Buddy Ryan was about to alter his strategy until Ditka showed him up on the sidelines by yelling at him, and at halftime threatening to whoop his ***. Buddy's ego took over and he kept calling blitzes out of spite.

Ditka would not have dared take over play-calling because he knew Buddy was revered by his players and there would have been a mutiny.

So, a perfect season was ruined by a stupid feud.
Describes Buddy Ryan all right. What a berk.

2015 NCAA Championship game...Duke, specifically Grayson Allen and Coach K whining to the refs going into the half can bite me.
Still had the lead late in the game and with how Wisconsin could defend, thought I was witnessing a title in something other than Hockey.

Buddy Ryan called incessant blitzes against Marino, leaving Gary Fencik and Dave Duerson in one-on-coverage against Clayton/Duper. The blitzes were usually so ferocious that it didn't matter who was covering because no QB had the time or arm strength to take advantage--but now they faced a guy with one of the strongest and quickest releases in the history of the game.

The story is that Buddy Ryan was about to alter his strategy until Ditka showed him up on the sidelines by yelling at him, and at halftime threatening to whoop his ***. Buddy's ego took over and he kept calling blitzes out of spite.

Ditka would not have dared take over play-calling because he knew Buddy was revered by his players and there would have been a mutiny.

This was the first NFL game that I ever watched on my own.

This was the first NFL game that I ever watched on my own.
Weirdly, I can't remember if I actually watched the game, but I think I probably did because I definitely have had the 38-24 score stuck in my head forever.

Trading up for Mitch Trubisky.

D Rose tearing his ACL up double digits with a minute left. Bulls Basketball ended that day.

Trading up for Mitch Trubisky.

D Rose tearing his ACL up double digits with a minute left. Bulls Basketball ended that day.
I thought the game where the Bears still have an asterisk for the final score would be mentioned by their fans.

*I did the same with the Favre interception,
This didn't get me at all.........i was still in bewilderment at the 12 men in the huddle coming out of a time out when they were already in FG range pushing them out of FG range to force Favre to try and make something happen forcing the INT. The INT never happens without this dumbfounded bafoonery that is Brad Childress. UGH.

It took me quite a while to actually go back and watch the INT play and realize that Favre could have just run and likely gotten plenty of yards to put into a 45-ish FG attempt to win the game. I still go back to the Childress baffonery as the catalyst but terrible decision trying to make something happen by Favre. UGH.

2009 NFC Championship.

As a Viking fan, of course I despise the Packers, but I always had the upmost respect for Brett Favre and very much enjoyed watching him play during his career. He seemed to have that kid on a playground aura about him. 2009 was such a fun year to be a Vikings fan. Every game was exciting to watch and you never knew what was going to happen. NO destroyed him during that championship game and course later we found out why. They still had a chance to win that game and in classic Favre fashion he threw the across the body throw that led to the INT and ended the game.

It was such a let down, not only because they didn't go to the Superbowl, but because that season was such a magical season and a fun season to watch and it was over. I think that was the most "let down" I have ever felt at the end of a season because I knew it would never be the same again.

Gary Anderson.

These two immediately jumped into my head. Both just crushing losses about 10 years apart.......I figured that we might have gotten that monkey off the back with the Minneapolis Miracle in 2018 to get to the NFC Championship with only Nick Foles in our way to a SB. Nope....then we get trounced to keep the curse alive and well. Ugh. Looking forward to how my hopes and dreams will be crushed again in about 4 or 5 years.

There are lots of painful moments in Chargers history, but...

Marlon McCree
I was just about to write that one.
The thing people sometimes forget about that one, following McCree's idiotic decision to try to return the INT, and the subsequent strip fumble, Marty panics and throws a challenge flag to try to get the obvious strip and fumble recovery overturned. The challenge predictably fails, costing the Chargers a time out, which they really could have used on the last drive of the game to get noodle legged Nate Kaeding closer for the game tying field goal attempt he failed to make.

That Chargers team was loaded, the best chance in franchise history so far at a Championship (apologies to the 94 squad that actually made it to the Super Bowl, but everyone knew they were going to get boat raced by the 49ers).

There are lots of painful moments in Chargers history, but...

Marlon McCree
I was just about to write that one.
The thing people sometimes forget about that one, following McCree's idiotic decision to try to return the INT, and the subsequent strip fumble, Marty panics and throws a challenge flag to try to get the obvious strip and fumble recovery overturned. The challenge predictably fails, costing the Chargers a time out, which they really could have used on the last drive of the game to get noodle legged Nate Kaeding closer for the game tying field goal attempt he failed to make.

That Chargers team was loaded, the best chance in franchise history so far at a Championship (apologies to the 94 squad that actually made it to the Super Bowl, but everyone knew they were going to get boat raced by the 49ers).
And anyone who didn't know were told after the 2nd play from scrimmage....

Yeah I forgot what happened after the strip fumble. Was just the epitome of Marty and his playoff failures. I will also maintain that firing him was not the issue, hiring Norv was. Thanks Lord of No Rings.

Lord I have many.

1. Being at the greatest football game I ever saw live. January 2nd 1982 Chargers at Dolphins 41-38 loss. Down 24-3 and right before halftime my dad looking at me saying....let's go....and I said no way. Then the hook and ladder....the rest is history.

2. Being at the Orange Bowl yet again to witness Hail Flutie....in the pouring rain all day...the BC Eagles pulled off one of the greatest plays in college football history vs Jimmy Johnson's first year as head coach at the U. Of course the Hurricanes would go on in future seasons to dominate the college football world for two decades.

3. Being at game 7 of the 1997 World Series and watching the then Florida Marlins become the very first wildcard team in NL MLB playoff history and then winning it all on an Edgar Renteria walk off single.

4. Being at the Orange Bowl in 1985 to watch Dan "The Man" Marino dismantle the vaunted "Monsters of the Midway" 85 Bears defense to hand them their only loss of that teams season. All the 72 Dolphins walking on the sidelines.....the aura was real. The place was shaking.

5. Watching SS Alex Gonzalez walk off game 4 in the bottom of the 12th vs the Yankees in the 2003 World Series with a line drive HR to LF.

That's off the top of my head.
40% in line with the thread title :) Forgive, not forget

Lord I have many.

1. Being at the greatest football game I ever saw live. January 2nd 1982 Chargers at Dolphins 41-38 loss. Down 24-3 and right before halftime my dad looking at me saying....let's go....and I said no way. Then the hook and ladder....the rest is history.

2. Being at the Orange Bowl yet again to witness Hail Flutie....in the pouring rain all day...the BC Eagles pulled off one of the greatest plays in college football history vs Jimmy Johnson's first year as head coach at the U. Of course the Hurricanes would go on in future seasons to dominate the college football world for two decades.

3. Being at game 7 of the 1997 World Series and watching the then Florida Marlins become the very first wildcard team in NL MLB playoff history and then winning it all on an Edgar Renteria walk off single.

4. Being at the Orange Bowl in 1985 to watch Dan "The Man" Marino dismantle the vaunted "Monsters of the Midway" 85 Bears defense to hand them their only loss of that teams season. All the 72 Dolphins walking on the sidelines.....the aura was real. The place was shaking.

5. Watching SS Alex Gonzalez walk off game 4 in the bottom of the 12th vs the Yankees in the 2003 World Series with a line drive HR to LF.

Deleted!!! My apologies......my reading comprehension was flawed on this today......LOL!!!

The Luis Suarez intentional handball against Ghana in the World Cup has always stuck in my craw as illustrating the worst of big time sports. Yeah yeah, it's clever and taking advantage of the rules. Yeah yeah, Ghana shouldn't have missed the resulting PK. Doesn't matter - the result is such a farce to have a guy and team get rewarded for a blatant intentional rules violation. We're not talking about a professional foul on a breakaway, or bodying a guy hard in the box. The ball was a foot from the net going in. He didn't try to head it and accidentally hit it with his hand. He put both hands up to try to slap it and did. In soccer. There is no ambiguity or "it probably would've gone in but we can't be sure." So ridiculous that there's not a rule like in the NFL that the official can just award the goal in a situation like that.

It'd be like if instead of trying to tackle him one of the Rams in Super Bowl XXIV had pulled out a taser and stunned Kevin Dyson as he tried to score. Oh well 15 yard penalty and untimed down I guess. Such *********.

Lord I have many.

Deleted!!! My apologies......my reading comprehension was flawed on this today......LOL!!!
I was just joking with you :) When I saw the release date of the new NCAA game I thought about our old league, tons of fun!

Does the Bears moving up to draft Mitch Trubisky count?

I was at my usual dive bar watching the draft that year and stood up, and yelled at the TV for a good 3 minutes.

Kinda glad I didn't go to Buffalo Wild Wings or someplace like that 'cuz I probably would have gotten myself kicked out. I was livid. Still am.

Won't ever forget that one.

A couple of thoughts:
  1. Dyer was down
  2. On the other side of a lot of these is a fan base that sees it as one of the greatest moments of their fandom. As a Laker and NY Giant fan when I was younger, I've seen a handful in this thread on the other side of some great moments for me.
  3. Can't say I have too much sympathy for those moments (I'm looking at you Niner and Pats fans) that kept you from getting another one in the middle of a dynasty. Many of us have favorite teams/schools that have never won a single championship in our lifetimes (see #1)

If only Kelly Leak had touched the inside of the bag as he rounded 1st base and not taken such a wide turn, those few extra steps would have altered history.

Baserunning 101, but the day Buttermaker was supposed to drill the team he cut short practice so he could go to the liquor store for a six pack of Schlitz.

ny fan here, so i can give a quick list;

-yogi pitching seaver game 6 on short rest instead of game 7 on full rest.
-mike scioscia
-starks missing the 3 game 6 and 2-18 game 7.
-richard todd
-gastineau roughing kosar
-testaverde achilles goes poof
-beltran frozen
-tom glavine
-blowing 10-0 lead against vulnerable broncos
-dog brien 2x

Lord I have many.

I was just joking with you :) When I saw the release date of the new NCAA game I thought about our old league, tons of fun!
Marshall!!!!

Francisco Cabrera is always my answer and likely always will be.

I see the Gary Anderson miss mentioned a lot. I happened to be in attendance at Sun Devil stadium for the McCown to Poole game. I just figured Vikings fans would appreciate being reminded of that one.

The pain in Paul Allen’s voice makes it even better: https://www.nfl.com/videos/josh-mcc...s-out-of-playoff-with-touchdown-pass-t-436317
A lot of people don't like him, but I very much enjoy him calling Viking games. He sounds like he lives and dies with every game

Here is the other side: PA's Call of the Minneapolis Miracle

Oct 12, 1986
Game 5 of the ALCS. Angels up 3 games to 1.

I was sitting in CF stands of enlarged Anaheim Stadium when Dave Henderson hit the HR off Donnie Moore. One strike away from first ever AL pennant.

Even worse than the HR, was that the Angels scored a run in the bottom of the 9th , to tie the game at 6-6. They had the bases loaded and one out.

And Doug DeCinces swung at the first pitch he saw and popped out behind 2B. BOS RP Steve Crawford came in and gave up a single to tie the game, and then an IBB. There is NO ****ING WAY DeCinces should have EVER swung at the first pitch in that situation. All they needed was a sac fly to win that game.

This goes back to when I actually watched basketball...... The 1995 NBA Finals, game 1 and the Magic have a 3 point lead over the Rockets. Nick Anderson proceeds to miss 4 straight field goals allowing the Rockets to tie the game and win it in overtime. The Magic fell apart after that.

Cooper Kupp breaking free on the Bucs in the 4th also blasted me right in the heart.

Users who are viewing this thread