What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Timdraft # 2 (1 Viewer)

28.05 Lutefisk - Disgusting Food

Doesn't this look appealing? Who wouldn't want to eat gelatinous, lye-soaked fish?

It is made from aged stockfish (air-dried whitefish) or dried/salted whitefish (klippfisk) and lye (lut). It is gelatinous in texture, and has an extremely strong, pungent odor. Its name literally means "lye fish."
The first treatment is to soak the stockfish in cold water for five to six days (with the water changed daily). The saturated stockfish is then soaked in an unchanged solution of cold water and lye for an additional two days. The fish swells during this soaking, and its protein content decreases by more than 50 percent producing a jelly-like consistency. When this treatment is finished, the fish (saturated with lye) has a pH value of 11–12 and is therefore caustic. To make the fish edible, a final treatment of yet another four to six days of soaking in cold water (also changed daily) is needed. Eventually, the lutefisk is ready to be cooked.
Mmmm. Now to make it "edible".
When cooking and eating lutefisk, it is important to clean the lutefisk and its residue off pans, plates, and utensils immediately. Lutefisk left overnight becomes nearly impossible to remove. Sterling silver should never be used in the cooking, serving or eating of lutefisk, which will permanently ruin silver. Stainless steel utensils are recommended instead.
Doesn't that sound good?Who the heck does that to perfectly lovely cod, anyway? Who thinks this stuff up? Don't forget, if you soak it in the lye too long, it turns to soap. Yummy.

Last edited by a moderator:
round 25 -- Jeremy Irons in Dungeons and Dragons -- Great Actor/Bad Flic

--I will continue to catch up tomorrow, now i am tired.

25.04 Junk Food - Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream

The whole "sit down and gorge yourself on a pint of ice cream" is so universal that it's become a common narrative device. And what better ice cream to do it with than the one that has more junk food in it!! Fishing around in the ice cream to find the largest segments of cookie dogh is part of the fun!

26.10 Spin off Television show - The Muppet Show

It's time to play the music

It's time to light the lights

It's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight.

120 episodes of puppety goodness, The Muppet Show was nominated for a total of 21 Primetime Emmy Awards, winning 4, including the 1978 award for Outstanding Comedy-Variety or Music Series. The programme was also nominated for 11 BAFTA Awards during its run, winning 2, and was presented with a Peabody Award in 1978. In its third season, the show received the Television Award of Merit by the Mary Washington Colonial Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution

27.04 Short Novel - Metamorphosis; Franz Kafka

A wonderful examination of the alienation of the modern man, as relevant today as it was when it was written 97 years ago.

round 24 -- Islands in the Stream (Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers) -- Duet Song

---- In the previous Tim Draft Dolly did well for me, I am thus honoring her here.
This is starting to look like it's going to be a tough category to judge for me. A selection like this needs to score rather well, although personally I'd rather listen to radio static.

27 - Friends in Low Places - Country Song

Not a country fan at all. But I like this one.

28 - Gene Kelly - Xanadu - great actor in a bad movie

Since Michael Cain was picked twice, I'm guessing Kelly can. Pretty sure this is the worst movie in the list (I can watch Battlefield Earth or On Deadly Ground for the action. But besides ELO's soundtrack, Xanadu has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.)

---- In the previous Tim Draft Dolly did well for me, I am thus honoring her here.
This is starting to look like it's going to be a tough category to judge for me. A selection like this needs to score rather well, although personally I'd rather listen to radio static.
I somewhat disagree. There are some categories where the top are no brainers (The Godfather is finishing near the top of great movie lists, etc). But duets? To me, categories like that are a little more "there are no no-brainer classics" (like the sandwiches one I am judging).

27 A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens - Short Novel

Surprised to see this is still available. A timeless tale of redemption and joy ... You ALL know the story.

Scott Rolen-Third baseman

third baseman for the cincinatti reds. Eight time gold glove winner and seven time all star.

28.05 Lutefisk - Disgusting Food

Doesn't this look appealing? Who wouldn't want to eat gelatinous, lye-soaked fish?

It is made from aged stockfish (air-dried whitefish) or dried/salted whitefish (klippfisk) and lye (lut). It is gelatinous in texture, and has an extremely strong, pungent odor. Its name literally means "lye fish."
The first treatment is to soak the stockfish in cold water for five to six days (with the water changed daily). The saturated stockfish is then soaked in an unchanged solution of cold water and lye for an additional two days. The fish swells during this soaking, and its protein content decreases by more than 50 percent producing a jelly-like consistency. When this treatment is finished, the fish (saturated with lye) has a pH value of 11–12 and is therefore caustic. To make the fish edible, a final treatment of yet another four to six days of soaking in cold water (also changed daily) is needed. Eventually, the lutefisk is ready to be cooked.
Mmmm. Now to make it "edible".
When cooking and eating lutefisk, it is important to clean the lutefisk and its residue off pans, plates, and utensils immediately. Lutefisk left overnight becomes nearly impossible to remove. Sterling silver should never be used in the cooking, serving or eating of lutefisk, which will permanently ruin silver. Stainless steel utensils are recommended instead.
Doesn't that sound good?Who the heck does that to perfectly lovely cod, anyway? Who thinks this stuff up? Don't forget, if you soak it in the lye too long, it turns to soap. Yummy.
This is pretty gross. My grandfather loves it though.

I somewhat disagree. There are some categories where the top are no brainers (The Godfather is finishing near the top of great movie lists, etc). But duets? To me, categories like that are a little more "there are no no-brainer classics" (like the sandwiches one I am judging).
I see you point - I guess maybe I'm trying to be too objective. It was a pretty popular song and it seems like it "should" rank highly, but I guess one can see it as a fairly wide-open category.

27.3 - Kiviak - Most Disgusting Food

A quote I found:

"Of all the things on this list, this one has to be the most absolutely vile, putrid, and most ridiculous thing ever to be eaten by man. Kiviak is eaten mainly in the most northern parts of the western hemisphere, being as it’s a traditional Christmas dish in Greenland. Basically, a seal is killed at some point in the Spring or Summer, and after all the meat’s been taken, the carcass and hide are put to use creatively. They stuff the thing full of dead birds (up to 500 Auks), sew it shut like a big potato sack, and bury it under the permafrost, not to be touched until Christmas. When the holiday season’s in full swing, the putrid time-capsule of fermenting meat is dug out of the ground for all the happy Christmas-goers to enjoy. The heads of the birds are bitten off, and the insides are sucked out like some sort of meat-cheese-jelly. Sound appetizing? Didn’t think so.
"

Note: My stomach is uneasy after spending 30 minutes looking at disgusting foods. There's a reason why I waited so long for this category.

There's a classic FFA thread surprisingly not drafted yet.
If you're thinking of the same one as me, it's a contender for #1. I nearly picked it, but instead chose Stoner Claus.
:goodposting:
I wish I knew what it was, but since I don't, it will not be taken. I have the last pick in the category, and I'm sure there's a lot of classic FFA threads I have never read. I'm pretty sure the one I have in mind is not the one you're thinking of.

It's time for my last two picks. I'm free to make these now because they are the last pick in each category.

For celebrity chef, I'm sure there are some very good ones out there, but I can't pass up Rachael Ray.

2006: 30 Minute Meals received a Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Service Show. Ray was also nominated for Outstanding Service Show Host<LI>2006: named one of Time magazine's 100 most influential people. She was nominated by fellow Food Network star Mario Batali[28]<LI>2006: according to Forbes magazine, Ray earned about $6 million June 2005–June 2006[29] from her books and television shows (excluding her new series, Rachael Ray)<LI>February 21, 2007, Ray announced on her show that a wax creation was made of her and that this wax figure will be on display at Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum in New York City<LI>2007: nominated for Daytime Emmy Award, Outstanding Talk Show Host<LI>April 2007, Ray launched a charity, "The Yum-O! Organization", with help from Bill Clinton, to help children eat healthier[30]<LI>June 2008, The Rachael Ray Show received a Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Talk Show/Entertainment[31]<LI>June 2008, according to Forbes magazine, Ray earned about $18 million June 2007-June 2008[32]<LI>June 2009, according to Forbes magazine, Ray earned about $15 million in the year ending June 2009, as well as naming her as the 79th most powerful celebrity in the world[33]<LI>August 2009, The Rachael Ray Show received a second Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Talk Show/Entertainment[34]<LI>January 2011, Ray won a People's Choice Award for Favorite TV Chef, over fellow nominees Bobby Flay, Gordon Ramsay, Jamie Oliver, and Paula Deen

Last pick (FFA thread) coming up...

http://forums.footba...c=443195&hl=bad song torture island &st=0

"Bad Song Torture Island Draft"- FFA Thread

I am often called narcissistic, and the fact that I choose a thread that I started as "best FFA thread" is not going to help that reputation. But though I started the thread, I was not responsible for most of it's content. The people who were include Mister CIA, DougB, John Madden's Lunchbox, Zamboni, JZilla, Karma Police, and Tremendous Upside, among others.

It was a draft, 15 rounds, and the goal was simple: select the 15 worst songs in musical history. The hilarity began when we decided that the lyrics for each song would have to be posted, along with Youtube videos whenever possible. Such "classics" as David Hasslehoff's "Jump In My Car" and Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time" were quickly taken, along with the amazing William Shatner's "Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Rocket Man". Annoying tunes such as Barney the Dinosaur's "I Love You" and John Mellencamp's "Our Country" were hard to take, but the draft really went off the rails when at the end of Round 6 DawgPound NJ selected Reba Schappell's "The Fear of Being Alone". If you're interested, Youtube it; I ain't posting it. I was frankly shocked that the thread didn't get removed at that point; it was so unbelievably tasteless.

Not only was this thread the funniest and most enjoyable I ahve ever been a part of, it remains for me a hilarious read nearly 4 years later.

Oof. This post in the "Best FFA Living Thread of All-Time Tourney" thread is spot on.

'the rover said:
'fasteddie_21 said:
'bigbottom said:
'FatMax said:
:thanks:

The draft thread by which all other draft threads are measured.
This is 100% INCORRECT!THIS is the draft you are looking for:

Deadly Animal Draft.

:wub: The hardest I have ever laughed was in this thread. :lmao:
Hard to pick a winner between these two...but goes to show that the current draft threads are an abomination and should be stopped. Somehow the FFA tradition of funny, entertaining drafts have been replaced by humorless, neverending nonsense.

Hard to pick a winner between these two...but goes to show that the current draft threads are an abomination and should be stopped. Somehow the FFA tradition of funny, entertaining drafts have been replaced by humorless, neverending nonsense.
Just a stupid thing to post. There's plenty of room for funny drafts, if someone wants to spend the time to organize and run one, and there's also room for more serious discussions. They don't interfere with each other at all. To suggest that my drafts take away from other ones is absurd. What was even stupider that this post, however, was your attempt to sabotage this thread on the first page by spotlighting your favorite picks. Just an asinine thing to do on your part when we had people eager to partake in this thing. But hey, that's who you are, I guess.

Just a stupid thing to post. There's plenty of room for funny drafts, if someone wants to spend the time to organize and run one, and there's also room for more serious discussions. They don't interfere with each other at all. To suggest that my drafts take away from other ones is absurd. What was even stupider that this post, however, was your attempt to sabotage this thread on the first page by spotlighting your favorite picks. Just an asinine thing to do on your part when we had people eager to partake in this thing. But hey, that's who you are, I guess.
Fine, I'll do it earlier next time. Thanks.

Go right ahead. It really doesn't matter when you do it, early, late, etc. It doesn't accomplish any purpose except to make you look like a jerk. If that's your intent, feel free.

Would love to see discussions. They don't happen here because people just throw their picks back if they get bad feedback.

Would love to see discussions. They don't happen here because people just throw their picks back if they get bad feedback.
Even though I took one this draft, i'd almost like to do away w/ mulligans. It definitely may make for more discussion.

Go right ahead. It really doesn't matter when you do it, early, late, etc. It doesn't accomplish any purpose except to make you look like a jerk. If that's your intent, feel free.
Yeah, Sarnoff is someone I like, but this attitude is befuddling to me as there are so many issues with it. Overall, my observation is that many, many people have participated in these drafts either as drafters or judges, and the idea is that we've all learned a lot, debated a lot, and then learned even more. And in conjunction with that the drafts have fostered an idea of community that is often not seen or celebrated on this board. If there are any better reasons even to have a message board, I'm not sure what they would be.It's not going to be for everyone, but as far as I know your browser won't take you automatically to the threads. You have to make a point to be here.

Even though I took one this draft, i'd almost like to do away w/ mulligans. It definitely may make for more discussion.
:thumbup:

:goodposting: Somehow "no mulligans" became "one mulligan" and then "unlimited mulligans". It puts too much emphasis on judging and placement. Sun Tzu, anyone?

It's time for my last two picks. I'm free to make these now because they are the last pick in each category.
Not really given that people can still take mulligans. (And I might suggest it on one of your picks.)
Oh very well. I will replace my selection of Raechel Ray with Jacques Pepin. Julia Child called him the "greatest chef of all time." Works for me.
Well, crap. I just participated in one of the things I complained about!

It never ocurred to me that mulligans make for less discussion. It's an interesting point, and perhaps we'll do away with them in the future.

It never ocurred to me that mulligans make for less discussion. It's an interesting point, and perhaps we'll do away with them in the future.
I think they cheapen things. It's a drafter's responsibility to read criteria (if there is one), and make selections. I'd rather see a page of arguing a pick than "ok, I'll throw it back" after two negative posts.

Go right ahead. It really doesn't matter when you do it, early, late, etc.
Well, if that's how you all feel, and since Tim's blessed it, maybe I'll provide a running commentary through the whole draft. :thumbup:
see, THAT would be awesome (as long as you don;t spotlight other picks). But yea, commentary is always good.

Go right ahead. It really doesn't matter when you do it, early, late, etc.
Well, if that's how you all feel, and since Tim's blessed it, maybe I'll provide a running commentary through the whole draft. :thumbup:
see, THAT would be awesome (as long as you don;t spotlight other picks). But yea, commentary is always good.
:goodposting:

I think they cheapen things. It's a drafter's responsibility to read criteria (if there is one), and make selections. I'd rather see a page of arguing a pick than "ok, I'll throw it back" after two negative posts.
:goodposting: I don't think it makes for less discussion but does cheapen everything. You take Sun Tzu with the #1 overall, you live with it and become a timdraft legend.

Fair enough. It was just something I never thought about, but now that you and others have explained it, it makes sense.

Fair enough. It was just something I never thought about, but now that you and others have explained it, it makes sense.
Duh.

Duh.
Shaddup

Not really given that people can still take mulligans. (And I might suggest it on one of your picks.)
Oh very well. I will replace my selection of Raechel Ray with Jacques Pepin. Julia Child called him the "greatest chef of all time." Works for me.
I liked your Rachael Ray pick. I also liked your Lay's Potato Chips pick you threw back.

Users who are viewing this thread