What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Timdraft # 2 (1 Viewer)

I will be judging the mixed drink category tonight. All ingredients are purchased (the ones I didn't have) and 4 additional judges are recruited. If someone wants to do a late minute change, feel free during the day, but after 5pm Central judging will commence. :banned:
Wait, you're drinking all of that garbage? #sugarhigh

I will be judging the mixed drink category tonight. All ingredients are purchased (the ones I didn't have) and 4 additional judges are recruited. If someone wants to do a late minute change, feel free during the day, but after 5pm Central judging will commence. :banned:
This is promising. :banned:

Now that the category is complete and judging may/should be happening...

I thought for sure Run-DMC would be in the best hip hop album category.

Also missing, The Beastie Boys. Though they may not be hip hop, but rap.

Raising Hell by Run DMC should have been drafted.

Beastie Boys are hip-hop.

Beastie Boys are rap.

Rap music is hip-hop.

28. 70's Sports Star - Richard Petty

"The King" was a dominant force in American motorsports in the 70s, garnering the following accolades in the decade:

*Won 4 Daytona 500s

*Won 5 Grand National/Winston Cup Championships

*Became the first driver to eclipse $1 million in winnings in a season (1971)

*Set a modern Nascar record with 13 victories in 1975, a record that still stands

*71 total decade victories

And the following accolades overall:

*On May 23, 2010 he was inducted into the first class of the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

*In 1997, he was inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame.

*He was named one of NASCAR's 50 Greatest Drivers in 1998.

*He was sole stock car representative in the first class inducted in the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in 1989.

*He was awarded the Medal of Freedom by President George Bush in 1992, the first motorsports athlete ever to be honored with this award.

29. Disgusting Food - Alaskan Stink Heads

I look at this as the purists form of lutefisk. Lye, we don't need no stinkin' lye! We'll let nature take its sweet sweet decomposing course.

Whitefish and salmon heads are placed into fermentation pits and left to rot and decompose for weeks. They are then harvested and consumed as a putty-ish mass. This delightful concoction comes with serious botulism threat!

Enjoy!!

Some albums I considered when I chose Doggystyle:

*Criminal Minded - BDP

*Raising Hell - Run DMC

*Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys

*Midnight Marauders - ATCQ

*3 Feet High and Rising - De La Soul

*Infamous - Mobb Deep

These were the first 6 left out on my list

Any of them were worthy selections

30 Worst Movie for a Great Actor: Robert DeNiro in The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle

There are a lot of contenders for this category. There have been a LOT of awful movies made. But this one was one I had in mind since I saw the category. It's not just the ####tiness of the film or the prior greatness of DeNiro that I find so galling, it's the fact that he has the audacity to #### all over arguably his most iconic character and line by doing "You talkin to me?" shtick in this abortion of a film:

Best Drink:

Criteria:

One thing krista specified early on is that write-ups will be rewarded, that criteria is in play still.

Other criteria:

* Taste - deliciousness

* How hard to make at home

* How likely a bartender can make it right

* Value for money - how drunk do I get for my $$$

I will be employing other drunks/bartenders to evaluate selections.
One thing all people involved in the judging agreed upon is that this list was disappointing from a drink perspective. There are a lot of drinks, very tasty and very well known, omitted, that should have been drafted over some of the swill picked. Notable omissions include, but are not limited to:Gimlet

Screw Driver

Tom Collins

Gin & Tonic

Manhattan

Black or White Russian

Cosmopolitan

Irish Coffee

Kamikaze

Rob Roy

Sidecar

Gin Fizz

Singapore Sling

Daiquiri

Mimosa

Whiskey Sour

The biggest outrage among fellow drunks and spirits connoisseurs was that Gin & Tonic, Gimlet and Irish Coffee was left off, as those while classic are still among the top sellers.

The people helping with judging (and I will be paraphrasing/adding to their comments at times):

myself: 25+ years of drinking, mixing and selling cocktails and visiting bars. Go to drink: Vodka Lime (hybrid of Vodka Gimlet and Caipirinha)

Canadian bar patron: Having visited bars all over the world, including the caribbean, this is our resident Island expert. Go to drink: Straight liquor, or Bloody Mary.

Bartender/Owner: Resident Tequila and Rum expert. Like clean tastes. Less is more. Go to drink: Margarita.

Female bar patron and waitress: LOVES party drinks, exciting drinks that reminds her of summer and fun. Wants to capture the feeling of sunbathing by the pool. Motto: Drunk is fun. Go to drink: Stroh Rum with Pineapple Juice and Orange Juice.

Female waitress, finer restaurant: Wants taste over alcohol content. Prefers to taste all aspects of drink, whether complex or simple. Go to drink: Red Wine, but in spirits, Gin & Tonic.

Together we have 150+ years of drinking experience (give or take)

In the case of a tie, my ranking is the tiebreaker.

On to the judging:

Bottom of the Barrel

8 pts - Frozen Grasshopper - picked 29.13

A late pick, so the drafter probably didn't have high hopes for a top slot, which is accurate.

Being straight edge, I don't really know any other drink besides this one. When my wife and I went on our honeymoon, we paid an astronomic amount to be able to drink all you want. I didnt want to waste so much money so i said i would have one drink a day She suggested this drink since it doesn't have a ton of alcohol. It tasted like a mint chocolate chip milkshake.
Ingredients:3/4 oz green creme de menthe

3/4 oz white creme de cacao

2 cups vanilla ice cream

While Mint Chocolate Chip icecream I'm sure is delicious for those that enjoy it, the consensus was that it doesn't belong on a list over the Best Mixed Drinks, especially not a list as short as 13 drinks.

me (m): Pathetic excuse for a drink, from a long drink perspective. As a desert it's decent if you like the flavors. It's a milk shake with Creme de Menthe, Creme de Cacao and Vanilla Ice Cream, that smells and spells desert to me, not a drink. As for flavors, the balance between mint, chocolate and vanilla is classic, but a taste that isn't for everyone, certainly not for me. Easy to make at home, but does require ingredients not everybody have in their bar, and certainly would be a challenge to order on the town. Rank: 13th

CAN (m): This is too girly for me, way too sweet and it doesn't have enough alcohol for me. Rank 13th

UK (m): Creme de Menthe and Cacao could be complements to decent drinks, well, could be, I have never seen it. This feels like an introduction to drinking when your 14 and don't want to taste any alcohol, but still get buzzed before going to the prom. There's no way in hell I would ever serve this, not only because of the taste, but also because it would be a pain to keep Vanilla Ice Cream at the bar. Rank: 13th

Waitress, bar (f): No alcohol, or very little. I probably would've enjoyed it more at 13. Summer-y, but in the wrong way. Rank: 13th

Waitress, restaurant (f): Well, this is disappointing. Creamy, cold, but is it a desert or a drink? I feel like this is something I would expect from McDonalds drive through. Blech. Rank: 13th

Total: 65pts

(less pts is better)

9 pts - ####er's Rum Painkiller - picked 22.07

The quintessential "boat drink" this concoction of dark ####er's rum, pineapple juice, creme of coconut and orange juice. Anyone who's spent anytime in the Caribbean has had one at least once.It originated at the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke in the BVI and has now spread worldwide. Recently ####er's rum won a trademark lawsuit to make the "official" name of the drink the "####er's Painkiller".I can't believe that the stupid censor edits that word
This is a variation of a Pina Colada, with dark rum instead of light adding OJ. The panel was almost unanimous that they prefer Pina Colada, but mostly due to it being served in smaller glasses. :)Ingredients:4 oz ####er's® dark rum4 oz pineapple juice1 oz coconut milk1 oz orange juiceFull disclosure: I didn't use ####er's rum, since I didn't feel like buying that for this draft alone, but our resident Rum expert didn't feel that would actually make a difference for this drink.me (m): Not a fan, and especially don't like that the coconut milk masks the flavors of a nice rum. Sure this is caribbean I guess, but let's keep it there. It doesn't work for me, compared to what you can do with Rum. Rank: 12th CAN (m): Bastardized Pina Colada, but watery and bland. Rank 12thUK (m): It's a shame to mask and destroy a good rum with these flavors. I don't see myself ever trying this again. A Pina Colada is bad enough, I don't need an even bigger glass of it. Rank: 12thWaitress, bar (f): It's ok I guess, but I feel it's missing something. Rank: 9thWaitress, restaurant (f): Blech, not liking this one too much, feels diluted and almost like a person that hasn't found themselves yet. No character and the OJ together with the Coconut doesn't work for me. Rank: 10thTotal: 55pts

10 pts - Mai Tai - picked 21.05

it is the tahitian word for "good". rum, curacao, liqueur and lime juice
Neither one of us had seen, drank knowingly, or mixed a Mai Tai like in the quote, so we agreed on using the classic recipe first, and then mixing it per the recipe in the quote (with varying volumes of the ingredients). All agreed that the "original" was better, so that is being used in judging.Ingredients:1 oz light rum1/2 oz creme de almond1/2 oz triple secsweet and sour mixpineapple juice1/2 oz dark rumme (m): Too fruity and sweet for my tastes. Maybe this needs to be had in the right setting to be fully appreciated. Rank: 11th CAN (m): I don't think it's setting as much as castration that's needed. The Tahitians needs to redefine their perception of good, but maybe it's due to being isolated for so long. Rank 11thUK (m): While I enjoy the ingredients in other combinations, this is just too busy for me. For a caribbean/summer drink I prefer to feel refreshed and this doesn't do it to me. Way too sweet and "sticky". Rank: 11thWaitress, bar (f): This is a nice pool drink for me, to be had before going out, relaxing by the ocean, but it's a little too sweet to be had a lot. I would need to switch between several drinks, and it's not a go-to that can be drank a ton. Rank: 8thWaitress, restaurant (f): Way too sweet and busy to me. Why is the Almond in there? It doesn't do much for me at all. Rank: 11thTotal: 52pts

11 pts - Pina Colada - picked 20.05

Now that summer is truly upon us, it's time to extol the virtues of the piña colada. It is completely refreshing in the summer heat. It cools you right down to your tummy. And it tastes really good.
So many ways to go with this drink, but we decided to go with the old-style recipe (which benefits the drafter).Ingredients:3 oz light rum3 tbsp coconut cream3 tbspcrushed pineapplesme (m): Close call between this and the painkiller, but I rank it above since I feel it's more of an original and a cleaner taste. I really don't like the creaminess in a "summer" drink. How am I supposed to drink a lot of this? Rank: 10th CAN (m): Agreed, this is too creamy and too sweet, but it's a cleaner taste than some of the others, which helps me. Really a matter of the lesser of evils. Rank 10thUK (m): Classic drink, but one that hasn't really stood the test of time. Still sell quite a bit of it, but it's mostly to older people, or people with less experience around the modern summer drink selections. Rank: 10thWaitress, bar (f): I like it! It reminds me of being young (my note: younger) and stupid. I like the creaminess, but I might not be able to drink a lot of these. Rank: 7thWaitress, restaurant (f): I feel satiated after one. I'll get full if I have too many, but the taste isn't too bad. Not a favorite though. Rank: 9thTotal: 46pts

Getting less vomit inducing now

12 pts - Long Island Iced Tea - picked 15.11

<none>
Again, a ton of varieties, but we went classic. The purpose of the drink mix is to get a taste combination close to tea(?).Ingredients:

1 part vodka

1 part tequila

1 part rum

1 part gin

1 part triple sec

1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix

1 splash Coca-Cola®

me (m): While I do enjoy straight alcohol and can appreciate the inebriation this drink is sure to bring, it's just too busy for my tastes. I'd rather drink each of the ingredients by themselves, in individual shot glasses, but then again, I don't like tea. :shrug: Rank: 9th

CAN (m): I like it. It's a classic, and there's just a ton of different variations, which is quite fun when ordering. I like tea and I enjoy getting drunk. What's not to like? Rank 6th

UK (m): Classic early twenties drink, for when trying to maximize drunkenness while masking flavor. It's ok I guess, and of course, I like tea. Rank: 7th

Waitress, bar (f): Too much for me. This reaks of desperate pimply boys, or yuppie types, trying to grab a feel of my ###. Maybe my judgement is clouded by who orders it. Rank: 11th

Waitress, restaurant (f): It's an ok drink, that is fun because it transforms a lot of different ingredients into something completely different. On a real top list of drinks it wouldn't rank very high, but considering what we have to work with, it's ok. Rank: 7th

Total: 40pts

13 pts - Tequila Sunrise - picked 29.02

Prep Time: 2 minutesTotal Time: 2 minutesYield: 1 DrinkIngredients:4 oz orange juice2 oz tequila1/2 oz grenadineorange slice for garnishmaraschino cherry for garnishPreparation:Pour the tequila and the orange juice into a highball glass with ice cubes.Stir.Slowly pour the grenadine around the inside edge of the glass, it will sink and slowly rise to mix with the other ingredients naturally.Garnish with the orange slice and cherry.
Ingredients (using posters recipe):4 oz orange juice2 oz tequila1/2 oz grenadineorange slice for garnishmaraschino cherry for garnishme (m): This just feels really old and stale to me, does anyone order it anymore? It's classic, but I think it was pretty short lived outside of a caribbean/mediterranean setting. Too sweet for my tastebuds. Rank: 8th CAN (m): This is pretty nasty and too sweet for me. Not as bad as some of the others but I hope I never have to drink it again. Rank 9thUK (m): Old school, but not in a good way. Nobody under 60 ever orders this. Too sweet, which is not suprising with the Grenadine (which should have died out with the Dodo.) Rank: 9thWaitress, bar (f): I'll drink this again at the pool. I like the sweetness, it's not too much for me, and I can definitely drink more than 1. Rank: 6thWaitress, restaurant (f): I think the Grenadine is a little much. It takes over the taste too much, especially before it has naturally blended together. Rank: 8thTotal: 40pts

14 pts - Martini - picked 10.08

I'm frankly stunned that we're in round 10 of this draft and no one has selected this. I will quote the great H. L. Mencken:The only American invention as perfect as the sonnet.
We're more likely accustomed to the Martini by psyche than any other cocktail; James Bond, F.D.Roosevelt, Ernest Hemingway. When reminded of this drink, knowing of it's social hierarchy, few can deny it's merits. To an old hand, a well made Martini is pure delectation. As writer and novelist Bernard DeVoto once said "You can no more keep a Martini in the refrigerator than you can keep a kiss there. The proper union of gin and vermouth is ... one of the happiest marriages on earth, and one of the shortest lived."A drink with more combinations and variations than stars in the galaxy. Everybody has their own preference and as a bartender it can be a very tricky business serving it to a patron. We did 1 1/2 oz, 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 just to cater to everyones taste. Lemon peel twist added to those that wanted it, olive a must.Ingredients:1 7/8 oz gin1/2 oz dry vermouthme (m): Depending on mood, this could be pure heaven, or hell if mixed wrong. Too much Vermouth will kill it completely, while too little isn't good either. I have found the Gin selection to be key, and actually prefer Bombay. On the right day, and the right mood, this could be tops of the list, but I have to take into consideration how easy it is to get a crappy one at the bar. Rank: 4th CAN (m): This is awesome to me, because I like the straight liquor taste. Bombay that we are drinking today isn't my personal preferred choice, which is Hendrick's. I like my bartender to serve it with 1 7/8 oz Gin, open a Martini bottle and walk briskly past, stir with ice, lemon peel and 1 olive. On this list it doesn't get much better! Rank 1stUK (m): I feel this is old and outdated. It's been horrifically changed and modified over the years and it's no longer a single recipe. Very few people order this for the taste, but you still get some pretentious idiots ordering it because they think it's classy. Rank: 8thWaitress, bar (f): This doesn't work for me. This feels like a drink my grand father would order. Narrow mindedness and old country awkwardness for me. Rank: 12thWaitress, restaurant (f): Gin is difficult to drink if you don't add something to break the juniper flavor. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it with Tonic, but just the Gin alone just makes me miss it. I wonder if I would like it more with Genever, but probably not. Rank: 12thTotal: 37pts

Now we're talking... errrr.. drinking.

15 pts - Old Fashioned - picked 15.01

Don Draper's drink of choice, it's one of my favorites, too. Except you can't order one everywhere - it's not easy to make, so the harried bartender at Ruby Tuesday's isn't going to like whipping one of these up. But if you're in a nice place with a pro behind the bar, there's no better cocktail. Use bourbon, please.
Everybody was in agreement that if your bartender doesn't know how to properly make an Old Fashioned, change bar. This is a classic, but it's still going strong. As always, ingredients, as in which Bourbon you use is key. Dropped some in ranking because most felt that some may not realize how to make it right. Some debate among the panelists whether to use water or soda water.Ingredients:

2 oz bourbon whiskey

2 dashes Angostura® bitters

1 splash water

1 tsp sugar

1 maraschino cherry

1 orange wedge

me (m): This is a classic, but still going strong. I like it alot, even with the cherry, which I normally don't like. For this drink it fits though, and gives just a hint of presence, without taking over. Rank: 5th

CAN (m): Clean tastes, complex without being overpowering over the bourbon. Out of these selections it ranks pretty high with me. Rank 3rd

UK (m): Another old/boring selection to me. Sure it's classic, and any bartender worth anything should be able to make it. It's dieing a slow death right now, and is on the way out. There are much fresher selections to order. Rank: 6th

Waitress, bar (f): Yuck, I don't like this at all. Rank: 10th

Waitress, restaurant (f): Not a bad drink. I get this ordered a lot from the 50+ crowd, but younger clients never do. For personal preference, this is decent based on what we have to try. Rank: 5th

Total: 29pts

16 pts - Mojito - picked 24.11

Not a huge drinker, but this is definitely one of my personal faves. A terrific drink that is absolutely delicious.Here's some interesting information about it:Cuba is the birthplace of the Mojito, although the exact origin of this classic cocktail is the subject of debate. One story traces the Mojito to a similar 19th century drink known as "El Draque", after Francis Drake. Some historians contend that African slaves who worked in the Cuban sugar cane fields during the 19th century were instrumental in the cocktail's origin.The Mojito was a favorite drink of author Ernest Hemingway. Ernest Hemingway made the bar called La Bodeguita del Medio famous as he became one of its regulars and he wrote "My mojito in La Bodeguita, My daiquiri in El Floridita." This expression in English can still be read on the wall of the bar today, in his handwriting.
Ingredients:1.25 oz Captain Morgan® Original spiced rum12 mint leaves1 tbsp sugar0.5 oz lime juice2 oz sodame (m): Feels like a ladies Caipirinha to me. Not a fan of the mint, and the soda kind of takes away the taste for me. Still better than most of the selections. Rank: 6th CAN (m): Meh, nothing special. Give me a non-minted drink please. I'd much rather muddy it than adding the lime juice straight. Put me down for another Caipirinha as well. Rank 8thUK (m): NICE! I'm a fan, but that's not surprising to anyone I'm sure. Top rum-based drink for me, especially with Cap Morgan's spiced. Cheaper I guess, but works well in a Mojito. Rank: 3rdWaitress, bar (f): I like it. Refreshing, fresh and summery. I like this around the pool, and would drink the hell out of it, and have. Rank: 3rdWaitress, restaurant (f): Decent, but Caipirinha is so much better. I like Cachaca over spiced Rum I guess. Rank: 6thTotal: 26pts

Yup, finally picks worthy of drafting

17 pts - Rum and Coke - picked 10.06

<none>
Some contention in the room whether to use a proper Rum and adding some lemon juice, making a Cuba Libre, but we defaulted to the straight up Rum and Coke as ordered in a bar. The drafter had the opportunity to clarify or hint what he wanted, but alas, no write-up.Ingredients:

4 oz Bacardi® white rum

8 oz Coca-Cola®

me (m): I miss the lemon juice, but it's a decent drink. Some other selections do it better for me, and also not a fan of the Bacardi white. Rank: 7th

CAN (m): Classic, tasty and refreshing. Added bonus for the caffeine. Rank 4th

UK (m): Not a huge fan of the Bacardi, but it's still a classic drink. I sell a LOT of these, but prefer the lemon juice in Cuba Libre better personally. Rank: 4th

Waitress, bar (f): This is nice, refreshing and something you can drink a lot of as well. I would've preferred a diet coke myself, and orders it like that when drinking it myself. Rank: 4th

Waitress, restaurant (f): I drink this quite a bit, but also with diet coke. Nice and clean. Rank: 2nd

Total: 21pts

18 pts - Bloody Mary - picked 19.12

As Alton Brown might suggest, it's all about multi-tasking. The only mixed drink that makes me salivate when thought of, it's both an alcoholic beverage and a culinary delight; it pairs as well with brunch as it does dinner. It's even alleged that it cures hangovers (more research is needed from me).QuoteA Bloody Mary is a popular cocktail containing vodka, tomato juice, and usually other spices or flavorings such as Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, piri piri sauce, beef consomme or bouillon, horseradish, celery, olive, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and celery salt. It has been called "the world's most complex cocktail."...Add shrimp and you have a complete meal.
Ingredients:1 oz Vodka 3 oz tomato juice2 dashes piri-piri sauce2 dashes Tabasco sauce1 dash Worcestershire sauce0.5 oz lemon juice1 pinch salt1 pinch pepper1 stalk celeryme (m): I like it! Everybody does it differently, which is a drag. I need to make my own in order to really appreciate it. Works well as a starter and late-morning "finisher". Rank: 2nd CAN (m): BIG fan the day after, works decent early night with dinner. Nice and spicy is key. Rank 2ndUK (m): Alton Brown can go eff himself, but this is a decent hair of the dog. I don't like it during the evening, but it's nice with day-after brunch. Rank: 5thWaitress, bar (f): It's ok, but so uneven depending on where you order it. Also a fan of the day after drink. Rank: 5thWaitress, restaurant (f): OK, I like it day after as well, and again, depends on who makes it. I don't think I would order it out, unless I know the bartender. Rank: 4thTotal: 18pts

19 pts - Margarita - picked 13.10

Herewith the write-up:The old-school recipe for the margarita cocktail, from the "Drink of the Month" article in the Dec 1953 Esquire:1 ounce tequilaDash of Triple SecJuice of 1/2 lime or lemonPour over crushed ice, stir. Rub the rim of a stem glass with rind of lemon or lime, spin in salt—pour, and sip.There are a few competing versions of the margarita's origins, although all have a connection with Mexico. Today, the margarita is the most commonly-ordered tequila cocktail in the U.S. Gourmet magazine goes further and calls it the most popular drink in America.The margarita is at the root of a few cocktail-making innovations that have spread throughout the great American cocktail recipe book.a) lining the rim of a glass with salt/sugar. Salt for margaritas, of course.b) blending with pulverized ice. These days, when a lot of people think of margarita, they think only of the "frozen concoction" Jimmy Buffet sang about. Most have likely never tried or even seen the original version..c) creating variants on a theme by varying the fruit mixture or adding colored liqueurs. A popular example is the strawberry margarita.And now, to close with a little rah-rah -- quoth the That's the Spirit! website:QuoteBorn and raised in Mexico, the margarita's personality reflects the flavor of its native land. Its fate has also been inextricably bound with tequila, a spirit that until recently was known as a coarse and fiery spirit that needed to be combined with fruit juice and sugar in order to be palatable. Tequila has become respectable — and not just in the sunny states that border Mexico, but all over the world.One reason for the margarita's ascent to stardom is that it is an exceptionally versatile cocktail. It lends itself to several methods of preparation, and variations in fruit flavorings. It blends easily with liqueurs, and marries well with the taste of different type of ingredients.
Ingredients:3 Corralejo Blanco (I caught some crap from our resident Tequila expert about not using Lunazul, El Tesoro, or 1800, but I prefer the Corralejo)2 Cointreau1 Lime JuiceNote: 7:4:3 Margaritas were discussed and tested, and agreed to be superior to the classic 3:2:1. It didn't affect the total score as the score is on the drink, not the ratio.me (m): I like it, but some of the others where just a little better for me. I have found it's really difficult to get a good Margarita out. Rank: 3rd CAN (m): Meh, it's nice, but not quite living up to the hype. The sweet/tart doesn't quite work for me right now. Rank 5thUK (m): I don't think I need to explain my ranking, having spent many years trying to perfect it. Agave selection is going to be very personal, and I'm in the same camp, it's impossible to get a good one on the town. I have stopped letting someone else mix my Margaritas. Rank: 1stWaitress, bar (f): Nothing says party like a 'rita!!!! Rank: 1stWaitress, restaurant (f): I like it, and it holds up well on this list. This version (7:4:3) is the best for sure. Rank: 3rdTotal: 13pts

20 pts - Caipirinha - picked 12.10

Mmmmm...Cachaca
Ingredients:2 tsp granulated sugar8 lime wedges2 1/2 oz Sagatiba Purame (m): So close to perfection, but not quite there :) A little too much sugar for my taste. I would've preferred 1 tsp. Still, this is tops of the list for me. Rank: 1st CAN (m): A little too sweet for me, and I would rather have it without sugar and half the amount of lime. Some of the other drinks just resonate better with me. Rank 6thUK (m): After the 'rita, this is awesome! I could easily just drink Margarita and Caipirinha alone for the rest of my life. OK, not really, but it is damned good. Rank: 2ndWaitress, bar (f): Summer, party, Caipirinha!!! Rank: 2ndWaitress, restaurant (f): I learned to appreciate this a LOT when working in a South American restaurant/bar. It's one of the few things on this list I would actually order when going out. Rank: 1stTotal: 12pts

So to conclude:

8 pts - Frozen Grasshopper - picked 29.13 (AcerFC)

9 pts - ####er's Rum Painkiller - picked 22.07 (DC Thunder)

10 pts - Mai Tai - picked 21.05 (tish156)

11 pts - Pina Colada - picked 20.05 (Mrs. Rannous)

12 pts - Long Island Iced Tea - picked 15.11 (rikishiboy)

13 pts - Tequila Sunrise - picked 29.02 (Bobby Layne)

14 pts - Martini - picked 10.08 (Timschochet)

15 pts - Old Fashioned - picked 15.01 (jwb)

16 pts - Mojito - picked 24.11 (wbaaoz)

17 pts - Rum and Coke - picked 10.06 (Usual 21)

18 pts - Bloody Mary - picked 19.12 (MIster CIA)

19 pts - Margarita - picked 13.10 (Doug B)

20 pts - Caipirinha - picked 12.10 (Tremendous Upside)

Last edited by a moderator:
So to conclude:8 pts - Frozen Grasshopper - picked 29.139 pts - ####er's Rum Painkiller - picked 22.0710 pts - Mai Tai - picked 21.0511 pts - Pina Colada - picked 20.0512 pts - Long Island Iced Tea - picked 15.1113 pts - Tequila Sunrise - picked 29.0214 pts - Martini - picked 10.0815 pts - Old Fashioned - picked 15.0116 pts - Mojito - picked 24.1117 pts - Rum and Coke - picked 10.0618 pts - Bloody Mary - picked 19.1219 pts - Margarita - picked 13.1020 pts - Caipirinha - picked 12.10
I went to a drink contest and all I had was a beer.Excellent work.

So to conclude:

8 pts - Frozen Grasshopper - picked 29.13 (AcerFC)

9 pts - ####er's Rum Painkiller - picked 22.07 (DC Thunder)

10 pts - Mai Tai - picked 21.05 (tish156)

11 pts - Pina Colada - picked 20.05 (Mrs. Rannous)

12 pts - Long Island Iced Tea - picked 15.11 (rikishiboy)

13 pts - Tequila Sunrise - picked 29.02 (Bobby Layne)

14 pts - Martini - picked 10.08 (Timschochet)

15 pts - Old Fashioned - picked 15.01 (jwb)

16 pts - Mojito - picked 24.11 (wbaaoz)

17 pts - Rum and Coke - picked 10.06 (Usual 21)

18 pts - Bloody Mary - picked 19.12 (MIster CIA)

19 pts - Margarita - picked 13.10 (Doug B)

20 pts - Caipirinha - picked 12.10 (Tremendous Upside)
Worth noting, everybody wanted to give the bolded picks 0 pts, due to the glaring omissions from the list above, but I figured that wasn't an option.

Charvik wins all judging rankings ever
It's a dirty job but someone had to do it. :banned:The sweet smell of briskets smoking slowly over cherry and apple wood is heavy over the neighborhood and I'm pretty happy I don't have to taste some of those concoctions again... :shudder:ETA: I'm really glad I had a document with formatting, quotes and ingredients pre-written prior to our judging. Made it a ton easier and I just had to have the wife transcribe comments as we consumed.

Greatest ranking ever, Charvik. And I write that even though I do believe the Martini got screwed. But whatever. Great job!!

Greatest ranking ever, Charvik. And I write that even though I do believe the Martini got screwed. But whatever. Great job!!
agreed, I had it 4th I believe, but the ladies didn't appreciate it as much and it fell short on difficulty I think. It was the biggest spread among the rankings.me (m): Rank: 4th

CAN (m): Rank 1st

UK (m): Rank: 8th

Waitress, bar (f): Rank: 12th

Waitress, restaurant (f): Rank: 12th

For sure the biggest spread, but then again, best drink should appeal to all ages and both sexes I guess.

ETA: Worth noting some comments:

A drink with more combinations and variations than stars in the galaxy. Everybody has their own preference and as a bartender it can be a very tricky business serving it to a patron. We did 1 1/2 oz, 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 just to cater to everyones taste. Lemon peel twist added to those that wanted it, olive a must.

me (m): Depending on mood, this could be pure heaven, or hell if mixed wrong. Too much Vermouth will kill it completely, while too little isn't good either. I have found the Gin selection to be key, and actually prefer Bombay. On the right day, and the right mood, this could be tops of the list, but I have to take into consideration how easy it is to get a crappy one at the bar. Rank: 4th

CAN (m): This is awesome to me, because I like the straight liquor taste. Bombay that we are drinking today isn't my personal preferred choice, which is Hendrick's. I like my bartender to serve it with 1 7/8 oz Gin, open a Martini bottle and walk briskly past, stir with ice, lemon peel and 1 olive. On this list it doesn't get much better! Rank 1st

UK (m): I feel this is old and outdated. It's been horrifically changed and modified over the years and it's no longer a single recipe. Very few people order this for the taste, but you still get some pretentious idiots ordering it because they think it's classy. Rank: 8th

Waitress, bar (f): This doesn't work for me. This feels like a drink my grand father would order. Narrow mindedness and old country awkwardness for me. Rank: 12th

Waitress, restaurant (f): Gin is difficult to drink if you don't add something to break the juniper flavor. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it with Tonic, but just the Gin alone just makes me miss it. I wonder if I would like it more with Genever, but probably not. Rank: 12th

:shrug: I think the Martini when made properly is a top ten cocktail, but the added difficulty of getting served a proper one hurts it, not to mention "the proper" variesf from person to person.

2 User(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 1 anonymous users

Mister CIA

:hi: I will be using your drink tomorrow at brunvh.

Updated:

The following still owe picks:

rikishiboy

Non-tragic News story of the last 20 years

Usual21

American military defeat

American military victory

Choreographer

Country song

Disgusting food

Duet song

Non-tragic news story of the last 20 years

Sandwich

Rankings (after 1 category)

20 pts Tremendous Upside

19 pts DougB

18 pts Mister CIA

17 pts Usual21

16 pts wbaaoz

15 pts JWB

14 pts timschochet

13 pts Bobby Layne

12 pts rikishiboy

11 pts Mrs. Rannous

10 pts tish156

9 pts DC Thunder

8pts Acer FC

Best Drink:

Criteria:

One thing krista specified early on is that write-ups will be rewarded, that criteria is in play still.

Other criteria:

* Taste - deliciousness

* How hard to make at home

* How likely a bartender can make it right

* Value for money - how drunk do I get for my $$$

I will be employing other drunks/bartenders to evaluate selections.
One thing all people involved in the judging agreed upon is that this list was disappointing from a drink perspective. There are a lot of drinks, very tasty and very well known, omitted, that should have been drafted over some of the swill picked. Notable omissions include, but are not limited to:Gimlet

Screw Driver

Tom Collins

Gin & Tonic

Manhattan

Black or White Russian

Cosmopolitan

Irish Coffee

Kamikaze

Rob Roy

Sidecar

Gin Fizz

Singapore Sling

Daiquiri

Mimosa

Whiskey Sour

The biggest outrage among fellow drunks and spirits connoisseurs was that Gin & Tonic, Gimlet and Irish Coffee was left off, as those while classic are still among the top sellers.

The people helping with judging (and I will be paraphrasing/adding to their comments at times):

myself: 25+ years of drinking, mixing and selling cocktails and visiting bars. Go to drink: Vodka Lime (hybrid of Vodka Gimlet and Caipirinha)

Canadian bar patron: Having visited bars all over the world, including the caribbean, this is our resident Island expert. Go to drink: Straight liquor, or Bloody Mary.

Bartender/Owner: Resident Tequila and Rum expert. Like clean tastes. Less is more. Go to drink: Margarita.

Female bar patron and waitress: LOVES party drinks, exciting drinks that reminds her of summer and fun. Wants to capture the feeling of sunbathing by the pool. Motto: Drunk is fun. Go to drink: Stroh Rum with Pineapple Juice and Orange Juice.

Female waitress, finer restaurant: Wants taste over alcohol content. Prefers to taste all aspects of drink, whether complex or simple. Go to drink: Red Wine, but in spirits, Gin & Tonic.

Together we have 150+ years of drinking experience (give or take)

In the case of a tie, my ranking is the tiebreaker.
:lmao: Awesome.

charvik, thanks to you and the Dream Team for getting us off to a good start.

You've set the bar very high, my friend.

:thumbup:

Updated:

The following still owe picks:

rikishiboy

Non-tragic News story of the last 20 years

Usual21

American military defeat

American military victory

Choreographer

Country song

Disgusting food

Duet song

Non-tragic news story of the last 20 years

Sandwich
U21 is holding up all three of my categories. I'm going to go ahead and start, and slot his picks later.

Holy #### was that awesome.

I didn't want to pick some drink I have never tried. My pick got what I expected.

Well done

I don't drink much at all, so I picked one of only three drinks I like (the pina coloda). I like rum, and that's it. I make my Cuba Libres with Myer's Dark. Bacardi isn't a very good rum.

Great judging. I guess I need to have a disco party to judge the songs.

Just wanted to let you know that I have my pick, justing wanted to be the last to pick in the category I am judging. However, if Usual is unable to pick by tomorrow I will go ahead and make my pick.

We'll give Usual until the end of this week. After Friday, I'll open his remaining picks up to whoever wants to post them, first come first served. It's unfair to the judges to wait any longer than that.

I wish I had the ability to charvik the disgusting food category. I would do it. Unfortunately, most, if not all of the entries are not readily available on North Carolina.

I wish I had the ability to charvik the disgusting food category. I would do it. Unfortunately, most, if not all of the entries are not readily available on North Carolina.
Chitlins are available in North Carolina. There are several restaurants that sell them. I've never tried them due to just not having an appetite for pig guts. Our neighboring state of South Carolina has an annual festival called the Chitlin' Strut Festival. Incase you are interested it's always held the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Bon Appetit. :porked:

:unsure: I have tried a little too many of the selections so far.Disgusting Food

1. Balut (duck fetus)

2. Rats

3. Ox Penis

4. Casu Marzu

5. Chitlins

6. Hakarl

7. Head Cheese

8. Escamoles

9. Lutefisk

10. Casu Marzu

11. Alaskan Stink Heads

still some "top" picks to be had...

ETA: Why is Casu Marzu listed twice?

ETA2: #10 should be Kiviak, I've never had that, but have tried something "similar"

Might as well post these too, and I'm sure some will dislike my rankings...

Criteria; Best Martial Arts movie:

I have watched a TON of these, and like stated prior, I would be surprised if any drafted hasn't been seen, if they are prior than 2005. I kind of hope there will be a couple I have missed though. If I haven't seen it, I will watch it, and will most likely re-watch all of them prior to judging. Some key aspects to consider:

[*]The movie MUST contain martial arts (duh)

[*]The movie MUST incorporate fight scenes well, not just using fight scenes for action, not adding anything to the overall story

[*]Language DOES NOT matter

[*]Boxing movies are NOT martial arts movies (well, a case can be made, but I am giving fair warning that they WILL NOT fare well)

[*]Quality of story WILL matter

[*]Quality of fight scenes WILL matter

[*]Acting could matter as a tie breaker

[*]I want a motivation why you picked the movie, and I won't care about wiki quotes.

[*]It doesn't matter that the lead actor has made 15,000 movies and an internet list claims this is his best. I will look at lists as guidelines, but not gospel.

[*]If I can't stand the movie, it's been hyped for no real reason, or has annoying cast/lead, it will be downgraded.

[*]Box office success may not matter.

Picks in order of selection:

1. Enter the Dragon - picked 3.10

2. Kung Fu Hustle - picked 6.05

3. Legend of Drunken Master - picked 13.04

4. The Raid - picked 16.06

5. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - picked 18.12

6. Kung Fu Panda - picked 19.07

7. IP Man - picked 20.02

8. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (2.1 Enter the Wu Tang 36 Chambers- Best Hip Hop Album) - picked 20.03

9. Fist of Legend - picked 20.11

10. Seven Samurai - picked 20.13

11. Chinese Connection (Fists of Fury) - picked 21.13

12. Kill Bill Vol. 1 - picked 22.08

13. The Last Dragon - picked 24.09

Users who are viewing this thread