What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Turn - New AMC show coming out in April (1 Viewer)

OK, so confused on the different military groups. The redcoats are easy, but what's up with the blue coat guy killing the dude on Robert the Bruce's gang, walking around with the bayonet?

OK, so confused on the different military groups. The redcoats are easy, but what's up with the blue coat guy killing the dude on Robert the Bruce's gang, walking around with the bayonet?
The green guys are Scots, they're aligned with the British. They were fighting the Patriots, who were in blue. After the battle one guy has to go around and stab all the corpses to be sure they're all dead.

I can't remember, did we clearly identify the blue-coat from the beginning who switched coats and escaped? He did successfully make it out of there, right? Was that Jamie Bell's friend we saw later, or just some random blue-coat? I don't know many of these actors from anywhere else so they're a bit hard to remember who's who among "random blue-coat guys".

The green guys are Scots, they're aligned with the British. They were fighting the Patriots, who were in blue. After the battle one guy has to go around and stab all the corpses to be sure they're all dead.

I can't remember, did we clearly identify the blue-coat from the beginning who switched coats and escaped? He did successfully make it out of there, right? Was that Jamie Bell's friend we saw later, or just some random blue-coat? I don't know many of these actors from anywhere else so they're a bit hard to remember who's who among "random blue-coat guys".
Yes, he was the friend that showed up and recruited Jamie Bell's character to spy for them.

Liked the second episode. Got things moving.

I only just recently learned what "second sleep" was in the pre-industrial world. I was surprised to see it referenced here, it may be the first time it's been shown in popular culture.

Also surprised Major John Andre was introduced so early. At this point, I think, Benedict Arnold was still quite loyal, his heroics at Saratoga I think are at about this time, so he's not the high-up traitorous blue-coat, right?

(what's the rule on spoilers in this thread? Do I really need to put tags around the fact that Benedict Arnold is going to turn out to be a bad guy?)

I only just recently learned what "second sleep" was in the pre-industrial world. I was surprised to see it referenced here, it may be the first time it's been shown in popular culture.

Also surprised Major John Andre was introduced so early. At this point, I think, Benedict Arnold was still quite loyal, his heroics at Saratoga I think are at about this time, so he's not the high-up traitorous blue-coat, right?

(what's the rule on spoilers in this thread? Do I really need to put tags around the fact that Benedict Arnold is going to turn out to be a bad guy?)
I was similarly impressed with the 1st sleep/2nd sleep reference and mentioned the article I read about it to the wife and let her read it. Solid 2nd episode. Definitely in.

I thought the first half was really good last night (I watched the rebroadcast late night) but it seemed to get a little goofy toward the end...course I had quite a few drinks in me by that point. I'll give it a rewatch see if my inital reaction was accurate.

The pilot was really solid. This weeks episode was good, kind of lost my interest at times though. I just don't know how far they can take each of these current characters.

The pilot was really solid. This weeks episode was good, kind of lost my interest at times though. I just don't know how far they can take each of these current characters.
Woodhull Jr. needs to #### or get off the pot. He's the lead character of the series, time to act like it. His wishy-washy ambivalence to the patriot cause, while probably historically accurate, isn't doing the plotting favors. They should move through this portion of his life faster, or should have picked up the action later. If it takes all year for this guy to really commit to being a spy I don't know if I'm going to stick with it that long.

I think they're dragging it out in hopes this becomes, like, a seven-season long story arc. While interesting, the cool stuff is the spies and the action, not the love story or interpersonal BS. Just get to more fights and more intrigue, and quickly, please!

I think they're dragging it out in hopes this becomes, like, a seven-season long story arc. While interesting, the cool stuff is the spies and the action, not the love story or interpersonal BS. Just get to more fights and more intrigue, and quickly, please!
While I don't disagree that the spy stuff is what sells, you can't do 45 minutes of colonial spy game and expect it to attract an audience. Some relationships need to be established to give meaning to actions.

Thanks for spoiling that. Now I might as well stop watching the show. ;)

The previews/commercials for this show looked pretty stupid to me, but I was bored a couple nights ago and watched the first two episodes via On Demand and it's excellent.

In...and loving it. But I'm a sucker for all things Revolutionary War.

Anyone know if the plans for this show? Multi-season? Or is it a mini-series (kind of like how Gold Rush was on the History Channel)?

I was similarly impressed with the 1st sleep/2nd sleep reference and mentioned the article I read about it to the wife and let her read it. Solid 2nd episode. Definitely in.
What is this?

What is this?
Google

What is this?
Pre-Industrial Age, it's been recently argued that the natural human sleep cycle is two three-to-four-hour sessions with a one-to-two hour period of quiet wakefulness between them. No one ever really documented "how people sleep" before the 1800s, it was too obvious to bother writing down when so few people knew how to write in the first place, the normal daily stuff is lost in favor of things that were worth recording for posterity. So we don't really know how people lived. This has only been talked about in the last 10 years or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the first two episodes. Good enough I'm looking forward to the next one.

Holy hell, that was some bad CGI at the end.
:goodposting: I saw the last 5 minutes waiting for Mad Men and I thought I was watching a re-run of the 70's Land of the Lost
There was some bad CGI (and set design) throughout. A couple things I saw:

• When Abraham and Richard arrive in New York, take a look at the guys rowing in the back of the ship. The oars don't even move any water. So bad.
  • Also in New York, after their initial conversation on the street with the quartermaster, the camera pans back to show a down-the-street view. The buildings were obviously "stand up" prop buildings.
I'm still thoroughly enjoying the show though.

Simcoe's the best. I'm considering rooting for the british instead. Only some of the ladies freeing their :stalker: could convince me otherwise.

Is this going to be a multiple season show or a one and done?
Guess it depends on the ratings.
Assuming the ratings were there I wasnt sure if the initial plan was just for like 8-10 episodes and done or if they planned on it being more.
Pilot ratings were pretty good (considering Mad Men and Breaking Bad pilot ratings) and it was airing vs GOT & RassleMania. I think AMC will carry it into another season at least.

I'm usually in for anything historical but my hopes for this one were lowered when the first thing they did was set up that silly love triangle between Woodhull, his wife and the tavern lady. Don't know if Jamie Bell is somebody you'd build a series around either. The guy playing Simcoe is killing it though.

Overall it hasn't really grabbed me so far, I'll give it one more episode before I bail. Seems I'm in the minority on this one though.

This show is just ok so far. They haven't done anything that has caught my attention, but it is just good enough to stick around to see if it will get better. Im going to give this a couple more episodes to decide.

Simcoe and Rogers are killing it

I like the acting and dialogue. One criticism is that the narrative feels a little disjointed...sometimes hard to follow

I like them throwing 2nd sleeps and Guy Fawkes stuff in there...

Good episode tonight. Some decent spy game stuff and the hint of T&A. That actress/whore/spy is excellent eye candy. I thought they got into the philosophical stuff pretty well also. I'm liking how they are building this.

Good episode tonight. Some decent spy game stuff and the hint of T&A. That actress/whore/spy is excellent eye candy. I thought they got into the philosophical stuff pretty well also. I'm liking how they are building this.
:goodposting:

Was wondering how dad was going to sell the major on winning the town over by not using the Headstones.. Nice turn with the speech and the towns people doing the dirty work for the Major.

If the son had any questions on helping his Dad or the Patriots, it was answered by the Dad's move.

The shot of the table with all the intelligence letters was a shock.. All their work, and chance they took, to dupe the guy into giving the the intelligence to Washington looks to be a waste at this point..

:goodposting: Was wondering how dad was going to sell the major on winning the town over by not using the Headstones.. Nice turn with the speech and the towns people doing the dirty work for the Major.

If the son had any questions on helping his Dad or the Patriots, it was answered by the Dad's move.

The shot of the table with all the intelligence letters was a shock.. All their work, and chance they took, to dupe the guy into giving the the intelligence to Washington looks to be a waste at this point..
From the previews it looks like Washington eventually reads it.

:goodposting: Was wondering how dad was going to sell the major on winning the town over by not using the Headstones.. Nice turn with the speech and the towns people doing the dirty work for the Major.

From the previews it looks like Washington eventually reads it.
True.. Just daunting to think of all the "Intel" that was received and how much to be believed, how much is :bs: or is old news..

This show is just ok so far. They haven't done anything that has caught my attention, but it is just good enough to stick around to see if it will get better. Im going to give this a couple more episodes to decide.
I'm in the same boat. I haven't watched last night's EP yet but if it doesn't pick up I'm probably going to give up.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
I'm in the same boat. I haven't watched last night's EP yet but if it doesn't pick up I'm probably going to give up.
Normally I'd say you're too picky but I think its a fair assessment at this point. There's some good but not a lot of direction. They need to get the ball rolling here soon.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
Normally I'd say you're too picky but I think its a fair assessment at this point. There's some good but not a lot of direction. They need to get the ball rolling here soon.
I enjoyed the episode on Sunday night, but it was still too slow for me. They need more action or suspense to keep me interested.

How was Abe not mad at his wife for ratting Abe/his dad's plan of the headstones. I feel like they totally left that part out, She told Abe, then it was like nothing happened.

I almost turned this off halfway through the episode. I was pissed we didn't get to see some hessian throat-slitting. Come on, now, really. A little action wouldn't hurt at all. Liven this thing up a bit. But they stupidly ran right past it.

I ended up fast-forwarding through the last few minutes. The only reasons I'm going to tune in next week are that 1) finally, we meet Washington (they did find a good look-alike), and 2) Simcoe's in the next episode.

After that, though, if things don't pick up I'm pulling the plug.

Edit: And Tallmadge looks too much like Wesley Crusher for me to take him seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread