What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the subject matter and where the discussion will ultimately go, I ask this be moved to the Politics Sub Forum...Oh, wait...

Given the subject matter and where the discussion will ultimately go, I ask this be moved to the Politics Sub Forum...Oh, wait...
let it go.

I don't think you get it, nor do the powers that be. This was a poorly thought-out decision, because politics can bleed into any discussion.

I still wonder what will happen, God forbid, if another 9/11 style terrorist attack happens, or an assassination of POTUS, the VP, a SCOTUS member or a member of the Senate or Congress? It appears we can't even start a thread with that news. This no-politics discussion is unrealistic IMO.
Actually I don't think you get it.

let it go.

I don't think you get it, nor do the powers that be. This was a poorly thought-out decision, because politics can bleed into any discussion.

I still wonder what will happen, God forbid, if another 9/11 style terrorist attack happens, or an assassination of POTUS, the VP, a SCOTUS member or a member of the Senate or Congress? It appears we can't even start a thread with that news. This no-politics discussion is unrealistic IMO.

The only person talking about politics in here is you.

Twitter has been a sewer for as long as I can remember, so if Musk burns it down to the ground, so be it. Seems bizarre to spend all that money just to take something down, but I guess when you have as much as he does, it doesn't matter. You have to feel for the people who suddenly found themselves out of a job this week thanks to Musk's bizarre behavior.

let it go.

Dude, if you believe politics will never enter into the discussion of this thread, I got some ocean front property in Arizona I would like to sell you.

let it go.

Dude, if you believe politics will never enter into the discussion of this thread, I got some ocean front property in Arizona I would like to sell you.

Dude, relax.

This tweet seems really interesting to me. Free speech and accurate information seem like opposite goals. I wish it was possible, but I don't think it is.

Yeah, I am surprised that this is his stated mission for Twitter.

I find Jack Dorsey's reply to that tweet interesting.

Definitely interesting. As well as Musk's response to him. I never actually heard of Community Notes aka Birdwatch. It sounds like crowdsourced fact checking. Not sure I agree with Musk that it has amazing potential. Seems like it is ripe for abuse by bots. But definitely more promising than Twitter employees doing fact checking. Interested to see how it turns out.

This tweet seems really interesting to me. Free speech and accurate information seem like opposite goals. I wish it was possible, but I don't think it is.

Definitely interesting. As well as Musk's response to him. I never actually heard of Community Notes aka Birdwatch. It sounds like crowdsourced fact checking. Not sure I agree with Musk that it has amazing potential. Seems like it is ripe for abuse by bots. But definitely more promising than Twitter employees doing fact checking. Interested to see how it turns out.

Here's an example where one of Elon's own tweets got flagged by birdwatch.

The voting aspect regarding what is truth and what is not seems problematic. But really trying to control information/misinformation is a no-win situation. This is why I stopped using social media years ago. It invariably turns into a cess pool.

It also seems like we are about to see some public debates between Jack and Elon which :popcorn:

Here's an example where one of Elon's own tweets got flagged by birdwatch.

The voting aspect regarding what is truth and what is not seems problematic. But really trying to control information/misinformation is a no-win situation. This is why I stopped using social media years ago. It invariably turns into a cess pool.

It also seems like we are about to see some public debates between Jack and Elon which :popcorn:
How do you see it was flagged? I don't see anything.

That seems like a pretty good example of why birdwatch doesn't work. I assume a bunch of anti-Elon people flagged it because they are anti-Elon and not because it was inaccurate. It could be inaccurate but most people would have no way of knowing or proving it.

You don't see the "Readers added context...." section attached to the tweet? They attach articles and then the public gets to vote on whether the attachment is relevant to debunking the tweet.

But yes, I agree with your sentiment. I don't think self-moderation has proven very successful in the history of the internet for a dozen reasons.

You don't see the "Readers added context...." section attached to the tweet? They attach articles and then the public gets to vote on whether the attachment is relevant to debunking the tweet.

But yes, I agree with your sentiment. I don't think self-moderation has proven very successful in the history of the internet for a dozen reasons.
Nope. It must still be limited release and I guess I don't have it yet.

I have made 20 tweets (between 2012 and 2016) and have 12 followers. I'm sorry if I find this a little hilarious that I may be in the "lords" bucket of new functionality. No peasant! Or maybe the stuff just doesn't work consistently (better explanation). A day or so ago it was a set of different articles that were included to debunk the same tweet but then they all seemed to go away and now I see a note that attaches a Guardian article.

I have made 20 tweets (between 2012 and 2016) and have 12 followers. I'm sorry if I find this a little hilarious that I may be in the "lords" bucket of new functionality. No peasant! Or maybe the stuff just doesn't work consistently (better explanation). A day or so ago it was a set of different articles that were included to debunk the same tweet but then they all seemed to go away and now I see a note that attaches a Guardian article.
I have 14 followers so I'm clearly way more popular than you. Lol. I have 0 tweets though. Twitter is read-only for me.

I have 14 followers so I'm clearly way more popular than you. Lol. I have 0 tweets though. Twitter is read-only for me.
:lol: Due to this conversation, I just checked my Twitter account. I have only tweeted once, which said, “Don’t follow me, because I don’t tweet.”

I have 40 followers.

I don’t care one way or another about Musk. He’s interesting, but no more or less than other successful business titans I’ve known. In my experience, genius often equates to insanity, in this or other pursuits (especially music and the arts).

Since I don’t tweet, losing Twitter entirely would be less notable than losing the PSF was.

What has fascinated me is the business part of the whole thing, which I discussed in great (and, as it turned out, accurate) detail in the PSF. That continues to be scintillating from a businessperson’s perspective.

https://twitter.com/jack/status/1589438978113294336
That whole interaction is, well let’s just stick with interesting.

As was his response to Kathy Griffin being banned for impersonating him. He said it wasn’t for impersonating him but for impersonating a comedian. Which I get is a joke but given the current situation, not sure it’s the best time for joke’s implying Twitter will decide who is funny/serious and who isn’t. Also he said she have can her account back for $8 which is more puzzling. I thought the $8 and all that was to crackdown on impersonating people. But then you will let an impersonator on if they pay? His messaging is really unclear.

Last edited:

:lol: Due to this conversation, I just checked my Twitter account. I have only tweeted once, which said, “Don’t follow me, because I don’t tweet.”

I have 40 followers.

I just checked mine - I have 174 followers but at least half are bots.

My first ever action was re-tweeting Packers legend Tom Crabtree with this piece of timeless wisdom:

You Retweeted
Tom Crabtree
@itsCrab

Jan 7, 2013
Can't decide if my farts smell like steamed broccoli or if steamed broccoli smells like my farts. #socialmedia

Same, and that's not what I'm interested in when it comes to social media. I want to have access to interesting people and be exposed to different points of view. Being well-informed is a by-product of that, but I can get accurate news elsewhere. Viewpoint diversity is harder to come by.

For example, I'm all for moderating this forum in a manner that keeps it SWF -- minimal profanity, no images, no racial slurs, etc. That's fine. I would not want to see people put on timeout for being wrong about something.

Same, and that's not what I'm interested in when it comes to social media. I want to have access to interesting people and be exposed to different points of view. Being well-informed is a by-product of that, but I can get accurate news elsewhere. Viewpoint diversity is harder to come by.

For example, I'm all for moderating this forum in a manner that keeps it SWF -- minimal profanity, no images, no racial slurs, etc. That's fine. I would not want to see people put on timeout for being wrong about something.
I also encourage more moderation which would attract SWF's.

Time for the CEO to step away from his phone. https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589646682710417408

sheesh ...

edit - already deleted. He seems unwell.
What did it say?

He took a juvenile shot at someone who was having difficulty registering at Mastodon - one of the many Twitter alternatives some people are trying out in case Twitter becomes unusable. He took a crappy phone picture of his own monitor screen showing this, and called the company "Masterbatedone."

Time for the CEO to step away from his phone. https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589646682710417408

sheesh ...

What did it say?

He took a juvenile shot at someone who was having difficulty registering at Mastodon - one of the many Twitter alternatives some people are trying out in case Twitter becomes unusable. He took a crappy phone picture of his own monitor screen showing this, and called the company "Masterbatedone."
Plus the picture showed hair on his laptop. 🤢

The world’s alleged richest man seems to be having a mental break.

sheesh ...

What did it say?

He’s a man-child with no self/control, thin skin and an impulsive nature. Sure he’s been super successful, but if I were a stock owner of any of his other companies, I’d be extremely concerned. IMO, he is not demonstrating any sort of leadership or vision here and frankly it calls into question his judgement in general, which was already suspect to begin with.

Unfortunately Musk posted 2 pictures of Nazis, one today and one yesterday. He also told people they should vote for one of the political parties, despite claiming in April Twitter should be neutral/apolitical. One would think "it's not going well", unless this is how he planned for it to unfold.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but all the wokesters rushing to tear Elon down seem to keep missing the big picture.

The $8 isn't just for a blue checkmark and media accounts will still be marked as verified.

The same people are mocking Musk for buying a company with bad finances, then mocking him for doing things to improve finances (reducing staff, adding revenue streams). The outrage is a bit bizarre but admittedly entertaining from the sidelines. :lol:

It has been interesting to see much of the discussion online on this. It does seem there's a ton that's more about Musk than the actual stuff he's doing. I guess that's to be expected given how polarizing he is.

Unsurprisingly, I disagree with these takes. Musk’s moves thus far have been a series of mistakes he’s essentially admitted via his actions (tried to back out of the purchase but couldn’t, his own tweets violating his stated mission, mass layoffs then begging for employees to come back, etc). Alienating a substantial part of your user base simply because you don’t have the discipline to stay off twitter yourself is just mind boggling. It’s not 4D chess.

Finally, the idea that criticizing Musk’s mistakes is a “woke” take shows just how silly the criticism over “wokeness” is. Don’t like someone’s opinion? Just call them “woke” and laugh it off. 👎🏽

Last edited by a moderator:

sheesh ...

What did it say?

He’s a man-child with no self/control, thin skin and an impulsive nature. Sure he’s been super successful, but if I were a stock owner of any of his other companies, I’d be extremely concerned. IMO, he is not demonstrating any sort of leadership or vision here and frankly it calls into question his judgement in general, which was already suspect to begin with.
It might be a good idea for him to stop posting for a couple of days.

@krista4 - in your view what is the upside to Musk’s behavior? Have you ever seen anything like this in any of the deals you’ve worked on?

I’m baffled by how crazy this seems to be, but perhaps I’m just “woke” and Musk is 8 steps ahead.

sheesh ...

What did it say?

It might be a good idea for him to stop posting for a couple of days.
Yeah. He doesn't seem to be having a great season so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread