What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Updated: When does Randall Cobb become a must start WR again? (1 Viewer)

He never left "must start" status.

Just because he has a few sub-par games doesn't mean you start benching him going forward. You can't get those points back from prior weeks.

If you're benching the #1 WR, who has tons of talent and a historically good QB throwing to him just because he had a few slow weeks, you need a new hobby. Or go play DFS where panic doesn't hurt you as much.
I wish someone would tell Aaron Rogers that Cobb is the #1 WR... maybe he'd move up a notch (or two) on the "progression" list.

If you're continuing to start a player based on how great he used to be, maybe you should find the new hobby.

QB- Russell Wilson

RB- Jeremy Hill

RB- CJ Anderson

WR- Brandin Cooks

WR- Jordan MAtthews

WR- Randall Cobb

TE- Jimmy Graham

The preseason "Never bench because they're the teams' No. 1" team.

Record 0-8 One must adapt to data

Just because he has a few sub-par games doesn't mean you start benching him going forward. You can't get those points back from prior weeks.

If you're benching the #1 WR, who has tons of talent and a historically good QB throwing to him just because he had a few slow weeks, you need a new hobby. Or go play DFS where panic doesn't hurt you as much.
If that were the case, people should have been starting CJ Anderson and Jeremy Hill all year too. The way things look at the beginning of the year aren't necessarily the way they turn out. You have to look at trends and data and make a decision each week. There are many factors that go into it. With Nelson out, teams are able to more heavily concentrate on Cobb. Plus, the Green Bay offense isn't hitting on all cylinders like it once was. And who knows if the shoulder injury is having an adverse affect. I bet a lot of teams are hurting right now because of 4 weeks of Cobb giving them 4.5 points from their WR1 spot. You obviously aren't benching him for a Hartline or Agholar. But if someone Diggs or has Rishard Matthews or Eric Decker on their bench, then they most certainly should be benching Cobb.
This. I'll take martavius, diggs or Brandon marshall in better matchups than Cobb in iffy ones.

QB- Russell Wilson

RB- Jeremy Hill

RB- CJ Anderson

WR- Brandin Cooks

WR- Jordan MAtthews

WR- Randall Cobb

TE- Jimmy Graham

The preseason "Never bench because they're the teams' No. 1" team.

Record 0-8 One must adapt to data
Those who bench Cooks last week missed 2 TDs.

Packers play the Lions twice in the next 5 weeks.
Good matchups. Those are weeks to start him. It's a shame that he has become a match-type of player.
Its a shame people feel since he is having a bad stretch of TDs that they think he has become a matchup type player. I'll say it once, I'll say it again. Until his brutal matchup against the best defense on the road, he had more catches and yards then he did through 6 games last year. He will break out of this, its about going forward, not what happened in past games. He is a main cog in this offense.

Packers play the Lions twice in the next 5 weeks.
Good matchups. Those are weeks to start him. It's a shame that he has become a match-type of player.
Its a shame people feel since he is having a bad stretch of TDs that they think he has become a matchup type player. I'll say it once, I'll say it again. Until his brutal matchup against the best defense on the road, he had more catches and yards then he did through 6 games last year. He will break out of this, its about going forward, not what happened in past games. He is a main cog in this offense.
I's not just touchdowns. His yardage has been awful too. And I'm not doubting that he'll break out. He's a great player. But Green Bay is off right now, and so is Cobb. This week, on the road against a tough defense, he's a matchup play. As he was last week. There was a time he was an automatic plug and play. He's not that guy right now. And yes, if you keep him on the bench, there's a chance he'll have a great game. I have great games on my bench all year long. That's part of it. But there are a ton of better choices than Cobb right now.

I like Cobb moving forward...

CAR coming off a short week that included an OT/bad weather game. Could see them come out real sluggish and fact is, they are not going to go 16-0.

GB coming off an embarrassing performance and this kind of feels like Aaron Rodgers 'RELAX' game for 2015. I think GB realizes that they have to get Cobb more involved and he's healthier than he's been all year.

May be a risk, but I'm starting him over Diggs.

I wish someone would tell Aaron Rogers that Cobb is the #1 WR... maybe he'd move up a notch (or two) on the "progression" list.

If you're continuing to start a player based on how great he used to be, maybe you should find the new hobby.
What's more likely: That Cobb WAS great and no longer is (which would suggest Rodgers no longer is when you look at the team offensive stats currently)

OR

He's hit a slow patch that can be somewhat explained by the multiple injuries on offense and his own personal injury to his shoulder?

How you answer that question should steer your thoughts on what is really going on here.

CAR coming off a short week that included an OT/bad weather game. Could see them come out real sluggish and fact is, they are not going to go 16-0.

GB coming off an embarrassing performance and this kind of feels like Aaron Rodgers 'RELAX' game for 2015. I think GB realizes that they have to get Cobb more involved and he's healthier than he's been all year.

Cross your fingers that Norman isn't on him.

Cross your fingers that Norman isn't on him.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article41226249.html

Norman has lined up inside only four times among his 353 total snaps this season, according to Pro Football Focus.

That stat was heading into the Eagles game.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article41226249.html#storylink=cpy

The "always start your studs" thing is a joke.

Cobb is not the same just because of his injury but because they have zero receiving threats other than him. I could buy the "he'll break out soon stuff" if Jordy was around. Fact is he's not and expectations should be lowered. Starting him over Diggs for example makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "always start your studs" thing is a joke.

Cobb is not the same just because of his injury but because they have zero receiving threats other than him. I could buy the "he'll break out soon stuff" if Jordy was around. Fact is he's not and expectations should be lowered. Starting him over Diggs for example makes no sense.
Exactly. Nobody's cutting him, but he has definitely earned a bench spot in shallower leagues.

This is comical. I literally laughed out loud reading it. You sound like a 2nd phase level of experience type Ff player. Like you're not a rookie anymore who benches studs BC he has no clue, but now you've swung to the other end of the spectrum of stubbornly following the flawed belief that you should "always start your studs" without taking into accent that the NFL changes, ff changes, players get injured, and injuries affect performance.

And I'm not even talking about COBB's injury. NELSON's injury was FAR more impactful on Cobb this year than cobb's shoulder.

When you look at Cobb you see a top flight wr1 who is a must start. You're basing that off of his career prior to 2015 when he had Jordy drawing coverage away from him and he was the #2 option and didn't suffer from the increased deface attention he's getting now.

I look at 2015 cob thus far and see that he's suffering BC he's not a true wr1 and misses Jordy and there isn't a single other wr on that roster that scares the defense. I also see that his only true elite game this year came against kc, arguably the worst pass defense in the league. Every other game he's been pedestrian to horrible.

So go ahead and stick with your beliefs and enjoy cobb's 3-4 Pts a week in standard leagues. In the meantime, he's on my bench until I see a "get-right" game or a get right matchup (which could be week 10.

So far this has resulted in more points and more wins for my team with him on my bench.

this is actually a pretty serene week for me and Cobby boy. I'm in bye week hell and he's all I got. We'll ride to the sunset together.

And I'm not even talking about COBB's injury. NELSON's injury was FAR more impactful on Cobb this year than cobb's shoulder.
Then why did he have more catches and yards through the first 6 games this year then he did last year with Nelson?

Edit: He has more receptions through 7 games this year then he did last year when he caught 91 passes. The TDs are what is lacking and those will come, his involvement is not an issue.

Then why did he have more catches and yards through the first 6 games this year then he did last year with Nelson?
Because rickyg is wrong.

Cobb's shoulder is FAR more impactful on his season than Nelson's injury.

First 7 weeks of this year and last for Cobb.

2015 - 36/377/4

2014 - 35/452/8

His shoulder is/was the problem, and he only has 75 yards less then last year and just played the Denver D where he was shut down. His TDs will come, lets keep things in the proper perspective.

Cobb did have a stretch of 6 games last year without a TD, weeks 11-16. I rather him stink now and turn up weeks 11-16.

Because rickyg is wrong.Cobb's shoulder is FAR more impactful on his season than Nelson's injury.
Ok wait let me get this straight: your saying that Cobb has more catches and yards this year with Nelson out than last year BECAUSE OF HIS SHOULDER INJURY?

or are you saying that Cobb is really awesome and still a must start and I'm just wrong about the reason he is struggling?

Or are both of you denying that he is struggling BC he supposedly has more cars and yards this year after 6 games than he did last year?

I wasn't a Cobb owner last year so I didn't follow him as closely. If he's got more yards and catches this year than last year at this time is it possible that last year he also sucked for his owners in the first half of the season and then kit it up later in the second half?

Or is it that he was scoring lots of tds last season which was a boon his crappy yardage?

If I owned Cobb last season and he had LESS yards and catches than he has now and the same of less tds I would have thought about him what I think now: he's a matchup play until he shows me he's not a matchup play.

Let's also not forget that it's not just Cobb struggling this year. It's the entire gb offense. Rodgers. The run game. And all other Wrs not named James jones.

And let's also not forget that Cobb, AND his coaches have ALL commented and acknowledged that he IS indeed struggling due to his shoulder AND the added defensive attention.

He misses Jordy. He was thrilled when Adams came back to the lineup BC he was hoping that it would give him some breathing room. But Adams sucks at least so far in his brief NFL career and defenses don't respect him.

2015 - 36/377/4

2014 - 35/452/8

His shoulder is/was the problem, and he only has 75 yards less then last year and just played the Denver D where he was shut down. His TDs will come, lets keep things in the proper perspective.

Cobb did have a stretch of 6 games last year without a TD, weeks 11-16. I rather him stink now and turn up weeks 11-16.
Ok and there you have it! Look at the tds. 8!!! Of course his owners felt more ok with the paltry yardage totals. 8 tds in 7 games how you gonna complain about that. That's a pretty good floor.

As usual, closer inspection of season long numbers reveal those little factors that make the difference.

2015 - 36/377/4

2014 - 35/452/8

. Also, where was Cobb being drafted last year with Jordy around? Jordy was a mid-high second RD pick in most drafts. Cobb was looked at as a mid tier wr2.

This year people drafted him with much higher excretions as the unquestioned wr1 in gb. He went in the 2nd RD of drafts.

I don't even know why this is an argument. Anyone with 2 eyes and a brain can see that he's been a huge disappointment for fantasy this far this season minus ONE game.

It's ridiculous.

2015 - 36/377/4

2014 - 35/452/8

Ok and there you have it! Look at the tds. 8!!! Of course his owners felt more ok with the paltry yardage totals. 8 tds in 7 games how you gonna complain about that. That's a pretty good floor.

As usual, closer inspection of season long numbers reveal those little factors that make the difference.
TDs are a crap shoot a lot of times. McCoy had 20 one year and 5 the next, is McCoy horrible? Perspective is all you gotta keep to see whats going on with Cobb. How many TDs does Peterson have this year? One less than Cobb. Peterson has 5 games without a TD like Cobb and only two, with. Only 4 points less in my PPR than Cobb. Does that mean Peterson isnt a must a start?

2015 - 36/377/4

2014 - 35/452/8

Ok and there you have it! Look at the tds. 8!!! Of course his owners felt more ok with the paltry yardage totals. 8 tds in 7 games how you gonna complain about that. That's a pretty good floor.As usual, closer inspection of season long numbers reveal those little factors that make the difference.
TDs are a crap shoot a lot of times. McCoy had 20 one year and 5 the next, is McCoy horrible? Perspective is all you gotta keep to see whats going on with Cobb. How many TDs does Peterson have this year? One less than Cobb. Peterson has 5 games without a TD like Cobb and only two, with. Only 4 points less in my PPR than Cobb. Does that mean Peterson isnt a must a start?
Did you just compare the best Rb in football who is the focal point of his teams offense and touches the ball around 20-25 times per game on average to Cobb?

Yes you did lol

I get what you're saying about tds being fluky but Peterson - Cobb is a bad comparison.

Honestly I don't even care about the tds so much. It's the COMBINATION OF TDS AND LOW YARDAGE THAT BOTHERS ME.

If Cobb were to go through a stretch of 5 games with no td but was averaging 80-100 yards per game I wouldn't be thrilled but he'd stay a must start for me BC he's got a high dependable floor and yes the tds will come eventually

A good example of that is Demaryius. I think he has 1 td on the year but I still view him as a must start BC he's a focal point of the Denver offense and the catches and yardage totals are strong week in and week out. I'm cool with that.

When both tds AND yardage are bad for like 4 games straight, Houston we have a problem.

Nevermind, rickyg.

You are more and more of a ######## with each post.

I'll just put you on ignore.

Later.

Ok.

I'll try to use small words, rickyg.

Yes, Cobb's fantasy numbers are down this season.

Cobb has a shoulder injury.

Having two arms is kind of important when battling DB's to get open and trying to catch footballs.
I'll try to use small words too:

I don't personally care why Cobb has sucked. I only care that he has sucked. I'm not dropping him or trading him low. I'm not an idiot. But I'm also not starting him while he is sucking so badly, regardless of the reason.

If you wouldn't sleep with me BC I was a guy or BC I had or had an std, the end result is still the same. You still won't sleep with me either way. So who cares? Lol

2015 - 36/377/4

2014 - 35/452/8

Ok and there you have it! Look at the tds. 8!!! Of course his owners felt more ok with the paltry yardage totals. 8 tds in 7 games how you gonna complain about that. That's a pretty good floor.As usual, closer inspection of season long numbers reveal those little factors that make the difference.
Did you just compare the best Rb in football who is the focal point of his teams offense and touches the ball around 20-25 times per game on average to Cobb?

Yes you did lol
Did I compare production in a game of production? Yes I did. RB/WR are easily comparable in fantasy. Thats why when choosing between flex you can choose either. According to your posts you are easily amused you like to laugh at everyones opinions even if they try to show reason. Sorry you seem to not see why Cobbs production is low and want to insist it is because he stinks. That is fine.

I believe Cobb can turn it around and the stats and his past suggest it it possible too, seeing as how he has had stretches like this before.

2015 - 36/377/4

2014 - 35/452/8

Did you just compare the best Rb in football who is the focal point of his teams offense and touches the ball around 20-25 times per game on average to Cobb?Yes you did lol
Did I compare production in a game of production? Yes I did. RB/WR are easily comparable in fantasy. Thats why when choosing between flex you can choose either. According to your posts you are easily amused you like to laugh at everyones opinions even if they try to show reason. Sorry you seem to not see why Cobbs production is low and want to insist it is because he stinks. That is fine.

I believe Cobb can turn it around and the stats and his past suggest it it possible too, seeing as how he has had stretches like this before.
When did I say Cobb stinks? I think he's a great wr in a huge slump.

I think the slump is part injury and part no Jordy. I also believe that he will bounce back this season. That's why I'm not trading him low OR dropping him. That's my opinion.

Really, the only thing I'm differing with some people in this thread on is whether or not he's a must start right now. To me he clearly isn't. If you differ in opinion that's fine. Enjoy his 4 Pts games until he finally pays off. Im lucky to have better options to replace him with in my lineup at the moment so that's what I'm doing. When he comes back to life I'll happily re-insert him into my lineup. I'm not laughing at other peoples opinions on whether Cobb is hurt, not hurt, good, not good, etc. I'm laughing at the people who are rigidly sticking to their guns that Cobb as he stands right now is a must start wr in fantasy football.

Does that make sense?

I think you're misunderstanding what I care about the most which is points for my fantasy football team. So whether or not Cobb is not producing Pts BC of his shoulder, his schedule, his qb slumping, or no Jordy, the outcome for me is the same. Poor point production. When the point production returns, so will return Cobb to my lineup.

What is the better predictor of future performance?

What he's done in the last four games . . .

Or talent?

Or talent?
That is a good point and question to consider.

Realistically we can only play what gives us the best chance to win as fantasy owners.

Why else would we play?

I can promise you in my life and leagues, it is not just to start a "name player" or stud, just because of who he is.

I try and play the player who gives me the best chance to win....it doesn't matter if that may be Adrian Peterson, or Joique Bell, I don't much care on a week to week basis.

Much of the last handful of posts is arguing a lot of things, semantics included but what it boils down to is exactly when do you cut bait on a player and move on.

These situations are among the most difficult in fantasy football and they are what I like to call the "silent killer".

So you roll out a stud week after week hoping he returns to form.

At some point you look back and say, "Well, that was a steady point drain for 6-7 weeks". (or however long it may be)

No matter how we argue or look at it, if we all continue to start Randall Cobb at his current pace, he will most certainly help eliminate most of us from contention at the end of the year.

One thing all the "stat heads" must remember................. Sure the overall points is a fine indicator at the end of the year.

(this is not targeting anyone , I am just as guilty at this as anyone here)

But also realize that its a week to week game.

I know its an extreme example, but suppose a WR goes out and puts up a 50 point game, then posts 4 straight zeroes.

"HEY~! he put up 50 points~!!" But what he ultimately did was win you one game, and aid in you losing 4.

I don't know about you guys, but I need to win weekly to get to the playoffs. :yes:

In fact, I need to win most weeks.

I will ultimately have to start the guy in one league, but he is on the bench in another.

I am not at the "cuttable" point just yet, but he is perilously close, I can promise you that.

I need week to week production, and no matter how any of you may want to argue his upside, the injury related dip, Aaron Rodgers not looking for him, the loss of Jordy, no help from other WRs or at TE, all that is irrelevant.

I need production, and its as simple as that....and argue as you might, Cobb isn't getting it done.

(edited to fix a terrible spelling of the word consider) LOL.

TZM

Or talent?
That is a good point and question to condier.

Realistically we can only play what gives us the best chance to win as fantasy owners.

Why else would we play?

I can promise you in my life and leagues, it is not just to start a "name player" or stud, just because of who he is.

I try and play the player who gives me the best chance to win....it doesn't matter if that may be Adrian Peterson, or Joique Bell, I don't much care on a week to week basis.

Much of the last handful of posts is arguing a lot of things, semantics included but what it boils down to is exactly when do you cut bait on a player and move on.

These situations are among the most difficult in fantasy football and they are what I like to call the "silent killer".

So you roll out a stud week after week hoping he returns to form.

At some point you look back and say, "Well, that was a steady point drain for 6-7 weeks". (or however long it may be)

No matter how we argue or look at it, if we all continue to start Randall Cobb at his current pace, he will most certainly help eliminate most of us from contention at the end of the year.

One thing all the "stat heads" must remember................. Sure the overall points is a fine indicator at the end of the year.

(this is not targeting anyone , I am just as guilty at this as anyone here)

But also realize that its a week to week game.

I know its an extreme example, but suppose a WR goes out and puts up a 50 point game, then posts 4 straight zeroes.

"HEY~! he put up 50 points~!!" But what he ultimately did was win you one game, and aid in you losing 4.

I don't know about you guys, but I need to win weekly to get to the playoffs. :yes:

In fact, I need to win most weeks.

I will ultimately have to start the guy in one league, but he is on the bench in another.

I am not at the "cuttable" point just yet, but he is perilously close, I can promise you that.

I need week to week production, and no matter how any of you may want to argue his upside, the injury related dip, Aaron Rodgers not looking for him, the loss of Jordy, no help from other WRs or at TE, all that is irrelevant.

I need production, and its as simple as that....and argue as you might, Cobb isn't getting it done.

TZM
I love you. You're my shark pool soul mate for writing this. Wait...did I just type that? Errrr...I mean...uhhh...good posting! I agree! Lol

This is basically all I've been saying the whole thread. Cobb is an awesome player but rt now he isn't paying the fantasy bills and it's a clear cut trend, so for me it's next guy up until he wakes up.

spider321 said:
addicted2ff said:
spider321 said:
That article was from a month ago...
Haha!

I swear I didn't notice that. At first glance I read it as 11/5, not 10/5.

Although from watching him play, even if he won't admit it, his shoulder is still bothering him.
That's the spirit. Making up facts and failing to sell them.

spider321 said:
addicted2ff said:
spider321 said:
Haha!

Although from watching him play, even if he won't admit it, his shoulder is still bothering him.
What are you even talking about and why are you being such a ##### about it?

So you think his shoulder is fine then?

spider321 said:
addicted2ff said:
spider321 said:
Haha!

What are you even talking about and why are you being such a ##### about it?So you think his shoulder is fine then?
Dude. Cobb hasn't even been on the injury report for a few weeks. He has himself said he's all good. I watched the gb/den game closely and I saw no limitations. Where are you getting this information that his shoulder is still a problem? Are you speculating?

And then you post an article that's a month old to corroborate your opinion. Maybe/probably by accident but it looks bad and sloppy.

spider321 said:
addicted2ff said:
spider321 said:
Haha!

What are you even talking about and why are you being such a ##### about it?So you think his shoulder is fine then?
Dude. Cobb hasn't even been on the injury report for a few weeks. He has himself said he's all good. I watched the gb/den game closely and I saw no limitations. Where are you getting this information that his shoulder is still a problem? Are you speculating?

And then you post an article that's a month old to corroborate your opinion. Maybe/probably by accident but it looks bad and sloppy.
Have to say, using if people are or not on the injury report is pretty weak. Lots of players are hurt and not on the injury report.

GB - Randall Cobb headed for another dud? - Sat Nov 7, 12:02 AM

Green Bay Packers WR Randall Cobb faces the Carolina Panthers in Week 9, and he could be matched up against CB Josh Norman.

More Randall Cobb info

More Josh Norman info

spider321 said:
addicted2ff said:
spider321 said:
Haha!

Dude. Cobb hasn't even been on the injury report for a few weeks. He has himself said he's all good. I watched the gb/den game closely and I saw no limitations. Where are you getting this information that his shoulder is still a problem? Are you speculating?And then you post an article that's a month old to corroborate your opinion. Maybe/probably by accident but it looks bad and sloppy.
Have to say, using if people are or not on the injury report is pretty weak. Lots of players are hurt and not on the injury report.
And citing an article from a month ago?

A more recent article that also seems to agree that he is now healthy and the loss of Jordy is the problem:

"Mike McCarthy: Packers WR Randall Cobb needs to 'keep being Randall'

19h

Emailcomment

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Randall Cobb wants to do more. His coaches just want him to keep doing what hes doing.

Its understandable that as the Green Bay Packers' offense continues to go through uncharacteristic struggles, their leading receiver would hold himself responsible.

I feel like its my fault, Cobb said. I feel like its on me. Ive got to make more plays when I get opportunities.

If anything, his coaches viewed Cobbs comments this week as a sign of leadership and maturity.

He pours his heart and soul in the game of football, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. He's that type of teammate, also. I'm not looking for guys to come out of themselves and try to be something else. Randall just needs to keep being Randall. The best thing about Randall, he feels good, he's healthy. Frankly, I thought he played pretty good in the Denver game. He's like the rest of our prime-time players, he just needs more opportunities.

At age 25, Cobb has taken over as the voice and face of the Packers receiver group.

Randalls young in age but not in experience and leadership abilities, said Alex Van Pelt, who coaches the quarterbacks and receivers. Hes definitely, now with Jordys injury, hes the leader of the group. He sets the example every day in the room and on the field at practice and on the field on game day. Hes done a tremendous job.

Cobb was the Packers leading receiver in last Sundays loss at Denver with six catches, but he managed to shake free for only 27 yards (and a season-low average of just 4.5 yards per catch). Since his three-touchdown game in Week 3 against the Kansas City Chiefs, Cobb hasnt found the end zone.

The loss of Jordy Nelson to his preseason knee injury has meant more defensive attention on Cobb, and perhaps thats one of the reasons it has been more difficult for him and the other receivers to get open.

Cobb likely will see the Carolina Panthers top cornerback, Josh Norman, plus double teams on Sunday.

When asked how much tougher its been for him without Nelson, Cobb paused for several seconds before he said: I dont know what you want from me. I dont know what you want to hear. Im going to go out and Im going to play better for this team. Im going to do more. Im going to be the best Randall I can be.

McCarthy clearly sensed Cobbs frustration this week.

Cobbs a warrior, McCarthy said. Hes a winner. He wants to win. Hes an extremely passionate young man. He goes about everything the right way. I think youre just seeing an expression of his passion to win. No one felt good about what happened last week. No one likes to talk about it, regardless of the outcome the prior week, past Wednesday. I think youre seeing our team is focused on Carolina.

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/24607/mike-mccarthy-randall-cobb-needs-to-keep-being-randall

Another recent article pointing to how he's not on the injury report and it's the increased defensive attn hurting his production: Scroll down to where they discuss him:

http://www.bnd.com/sports/article43286202.html

I mean, do you guys think that I just come up with this stuff out of thin air? I watch the games. He doesn't look injured anymore. I see him stretching out to catch passes. I see him mixing it up with defensive backs. I also see a player who is struggling to beat the added defensive attn.

And btw, teams around the NFL are noticing this trend: shut down Randall Cobb and you shut down the gb offense.

Don't think that's not going to be the game plan of every defense. The gb run game rt now scares no one. Neither do James jones, davante Adams, or richard Rodgers. Every team looks at Cobb as their greatest weapon, rightfully so.

And Cobb is great but he's no JULIO. He's not able to fight through the double teams and bracket coverage and high point passes and use his dominating natural size and strength to win. That's not his game.

To me, it's a combination of several factors. First and foremost is the injury to Nelson. As soon as it happened, I knew it was going to be tougher on Cobb this year. Nelson stretches the field and opens the middle for Cobb to roam. They haven't anyone close to that this year and this is a factor for Cobb. Second, is the injury to Lacy and overall poor rushing performance by GB. A poor rushing attack with no vertical threat adds additional issues for the middle of the field where Cobb makes his living. Third is the injury to Cobb's shoulder. He got hurt in preseason and missed most of the games and preseason stuff. He was clearly suffering with it the first 2 games and was rusty from missing most of the preseason. He looked healthy to me last week so hopefully this will no longer be a factor.

In the end, I believe Cobb is a talented player and his lack of production thus far isn't because he suddenly sucks. The problem is, unless they find someone who can remotely stretch the field and offer a vertical threat, Cobb's ceiling is going to be capped. I so think the running game is going to improve so I think Cobb is going to do better the rest of the year, but not come close to the expectations I had for him before Nelson got hurt. I'd say he's a #2 WR and at best, a borderline #1 if the running game turns around as the weather turns.

Users who are viewing this thread