What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Was this date rape? (1 Viewer)

timschochet said:
The message I'm getting here is that she should have said "stop" or "no"- not that it would have prevented her from being raped , but it would have helped her win this message board debate months later. Surprised she didn't consider that at the time...
Evidently saying that she didn't think it was a good idea isn't a strong enough stop for these clowns. In fact, it is part of a series of actions that keep getting described as her giving consent.
So, to be absolutely clear here, which scenario applies to you:

1. You have never had a woman withdraw consent either verbally or non verbally as you tried to advance the level of intimacy from kissing to intercourse

2. You have had a woman withdraw consent either verbally or non verbally and then you waited and reattempted without asking for explicit consent

3. You have made out with a woman, had her withdraw consent in some fashion and then said, "Hey, five minutes ago you said,"No". Can I touch your ##### now?"
Is this the problem here? People are letting their personal experiences decide whether or not this was rape or right? Guess that gets back to my point earlier about the introspection hitting too close to home for some, obviously.

To answer your question: I'm probably closer to number 2 most of the times I'd been in that situation. Obviously being pushed away or having to pin someone down would have been considered an additional signal of non-consent.

timschochet said:
The message I'm getting here is that she should have said "stop" or "no"- not that it would have prevented her from being raped , but it would have helped her win this message board debate months later. Surprised she didn't consider that at the time...
Evidently saying that she didn't think it was a good idea isn't a strong enough stop for these clowns. In fact, it is part of a series of actions that keep getting described as her giving consent.
Guys are not that good at picking up hints. IMHO, unless there is a real threat of violence, the female should have the obligation to vocally say 'no' in order to claim rape. Not at all defending the guy's action in this case, but that should be the law. Many of us probably had a situation where the woman might not have been all that into it and could have with the ultra-feminist point of view, be guilty of rape. Especially if any alcohol was involved, that makes any sexual encounter possibly rape.
Like it or not, that isn't how the law really works here. Considering he had already gotten a vocal no, he should have been hyper-attentitive to signals like being pushed away IMO.

Anyone up in northern california want to research and see if there are any unsolved sexual assaults where the suspect is described as small asian man? I think we may have a person of interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
IvanKaramazov said:
Arsenal of Doom said:
IvanKaramazov said:
Gotta agree with Otis at this point. "Affirmative consent" is the feminist version of "abstinence-only" sex ed in that they both share a completely unrealistic, ideological approach to sex.
I'm not suggesting in any way affirmative consent is required. But, you know, there's a pretty huge ocean between, "is it okay if I kiss you" to "Is it okay if I push you down on this bed and hold you down while I roughly #### you, even though we haven't had sex at all yet?"

You should really think hard on the latter.
Sorry, I should have been more clear about the point I was addressing. I posted earlier in the thread that I think this was probably a rape because of the pinning-her-down-after-she-resists part, so I agree with you on that one.

I just wanted to chime in on how silly the affirmative consent standard is. You would think that all adults would realize that this isn't how sex works, but apparently not.
We're not talking about "how sex works" but how "hooking up works". It is pretty clear women have problems with how the latter is going.
I'm old and a little out of it, but I'm fairly sure hooking up involves sex.

Why are you idiots still talking about him carrying her? SHE TRIED TO PUSH HIM AWAY AND HE PINNED HER ARMS DOWN.
According to which PG version?
Pretty much all of them jackass.

First post, "She puts her hands on his chest to push him away and he smashes her arms against her and begins to have sex with her. Her arms are pinned on her chest in-between the 2 of them."

Why are you idiots still talking about him carrying her? SHE TRIED TO PUSH HIM AWAY AND HE PINNED HER ARMS DOWN.

First post, "She puts her hands on his chest to push him away and he smashes her arms against her and begins to have sex with her. Her arms are pinned on her chest in-between the 2 of them."
Please identify the verb in this fragment.

It's good to know despite many other's effort to get this thread back to being somewhat productive we can count on someone like you to try and take the thread back down to a level that they can relate to. God bless the petty people.

It's good to know despite many other's effort to get this thread back to being somewhat productive we can count on someone like you to try and take the thread back down to a level that they can relate to. God bless the petty people.
We can only go off the information you give us. Its a thread about your secondhand account. Clarifying what you said seems rather relevant.

puts?

This thread has been on-track and productive the whole way. You just don't like what you're hearing, which is that this isn't as clear-cut as you seem to think. Even those of us who more or less agree with you (I'm one of them) can see clear as day that you're heavily invested in this thing emotionally and aren't willing to listen to alternative points of view.

which one? The Intransitive, the transitive or the linking?

Ivan what is your point? That he said "to push him away" instead of "pushing him away"? What difference is it?
I posted earlier that based on what PG has said, the girl consented to sex all the way through being carried into the bedroom and (apparently) getting undressed. When people people have pointed this out to him, he's gotten irrationally upset about it, and that's served to derail the discussion.

He's right that when she pushes the guy away, consent has been revoked and the guy should have recognized as much. That said, Otis also has a good point that since she's already consented once, the girl really has an obligation to say "no" unambiguously when she changes her mind. In other words, while I do think this is most likely date rape, the victim did a lot to contribute to the situation, but PG seems incredibly defensive on that point.

Ivan what is your point? That he said "to push him away" instead of "pushing him away"? What difference is it?
clearly because she was unable to push him away, she wanted it.
I know people aren't taking notes on who said what in this thread, but I'm in the "This was probably rape" camp. My only point in the post Rick James is referencing is that PG isn't capable of looking at this objectively.

I posted earlier that based on what PG has said, the girl consented to sex all the way through being carried into the bedroom and (apparently) getting undressed. When people people have pointed this out to him, he's gotten irrationally upset about it, and that's served to derail the discussion.

He's right that when she pushes the guy away, consent has been revoked and the guy should have recognized as much. That said, Otis also has a good point that since she's already consented once, the girl really has an obligation to say "no" unambiguously when she changes her mind. In other words, while I do think this is most likely date rape, the victim did a lot to contribute to the situation, but PG seems incredibly defensive on that point.
seems a bit presumptive. "gets a little caught up in the moment" needs to be explained, as that's the only part that could possibly be construed as consent.

She met a guy that would come into where she worked. They exchanged numbers and after talking back and forth some she would hang out with him after work. Typical good night kiss that progressed to a little more over time. One night has asked her over to his house for some dinner and drinks and she accepts. After dinner they start to watch a movie and as you expect they start fooling around. He asks her to go to the bedroom and she says I don't think that's a good idea right now. He then picks her up and carries her into the bedroom. She admits that she thought it was a turn on that he did that and gets a little caught up in the moment. He undresses her but as he is getting undressed she snaps out of it or however you want to put it. She is laying on the bed at this point and starts to raise up. As she does this, he some what forcefully pushes her back down on the bed. She puts her hands on his chest to push him away and he smashes her arms against her and begins to have sex with her. Her arms are pinned on her chest in-between the 2 of them. She never said don't or stop, said at this point she was afraid to. She said the sex was very rough and felt wrong. She also said all she wanted was for him to finish so it would be over. She told me she just went some where else in her mind as well.

Pushing someone away is unambiguous IMO.

seems a bit presumptive. "gets a little caught up in the moment" needs to be explained, as that's the only part that could possibly be construed as consent.

She met a guy that would come into where she worked. They exchanged numbers and after talking back and forth some she would hang out with him after work. Typical good night kiss that progressed to a little more over time. One night has asked her over to his house for some dinner and drinks and she accepts. After dinner they start to watch a movie and as you expect they start fooling around. He asks her to go to the bedroom and she says I don't think that's a good idea right now. He then picks her up and carries her into the bedroom. She admits that she thought it was a turn on that he did that and gets a little caught up in the moment. He undresses her but as he is getting undressed she snaps out of it or however you want to put it. She is laying on the bed at this point and starts to raise up. As she does this, he some what forcefully pushes her back down on the bed. She puts her hands on his chest to push him away and he smashes her arms against her and begins to have sex with her. Her arms are pinned on her chest in-between the 2 of them. She never said don't or stop, said at this point she was afraid to. She said the sex was very rough and felt wrong. She also said all she wanted was for him to finish so it would be over. She told me she just went some where else in her mind as well.
I think that's clearly chick-speak for "I was down with things at that point." Plus she ended up naked somehow -- PG doesn't say that she was undressed against her will, and I'm assuming he would have mentioned it if the guy had ripped her clothes off, so I'm reading consent into that too. Honestly, I think that's the only reasonable way to read the OP.

I would love for you to identify 3 different verbs in the bolded fragment.

put, push, and away?

I think that's clearly chick-speak for "I was down with things at that point." Plus she ended up naked somehow -- PG doesn't say that she was undressed against her will, and I'm assuming he would have mentioned it if the guy had ripped her clothes off, so I'm reading consent into that too. Honestly, I think that's the only reasonable way to read the OP.
Fair point. But let's just say this would not be the prosecutor's closing argument or opening statement for that matter.

I'd invoke the rule of completeness to include smashes.

Fair point. But let's just say this would not be the prosecutor's closing argument or opening statement for that matter.
I know. But if you were a prosecutor sitting alone in your office deciding whether to press charges, and the OP was all you had to go on, presumably you'd notice this part.

Like I said, I really do think this was much more likely to have been date rape than "rough sex gone bad." I'm just getting a little exasperated at PG for not being able to understand why not everybody sees it as being a no-brainer like he does.

I'd invoke the rule of completeness to include smashes.
You want to invoke an evidence rule to sentence parsing? Interesting.

Virtually everyone had said if she tried to push him away in manner that made it clear she was resisting it would be rape. The hang-up for some seems to be did she really try to push him away or just put her hand on his chest with the intent of pushing him away.

The sad thing is that if this had been a case that went to trial it would likely end up being one of those he said, she said points. She says she tried to push him away, he says she didn't or he didn't notice. Both of them end up having their personal lives dragged out in court and the guy potentially ends up jail. As it is the girl has been carrying this around for years, and who knows how it affected her life?

Virtually everyone had said if she tried to push him away in manner that made it clear she was resisting it would be rape. The hang-up for some seems to be did she really try to push him away or just put her hand on his chest with the intent of pushing him away.

The sad thing is that if this had been a case that went to trial it would likely end up being one of those he said, she said points. She says she tried to push him away, he says she didn't or he didn't notice. Both of them end up having their personal lives dragged out in court and the guy potentially ends up jail. As it is the girl has been carrying this around for years, and who knows how it affected her life?
Couple of things.

1) I started off in this thread that the nature of the "putting hands on chest to push him away" and the pinning of the arms is the only thing that would create a grey area for me and depending on the nature of these acts, I could totally see it being rape. Way too much time has been spent in this thread IMO discussing the fact that she said no downstairs, or that she didn't feel comfortable saying no, or about the guy should've made sure to get consent again, etc. All of this means nothing if she pushed/tried to push him in such a way that made it obvious to the guy she didn't want to go through with it, and he did it anyway by overpowering her. If that's the case, totally 100% rape. That's the problem with this whole discussion, we're breaking down specific words for used by a person who's relaying a story from the actual victim. Depending on the wording she used, or the OP used, the characterization of the pushing/pinning may changed.

To me, as others have said, her actions seem rather ambiguous as described. Given that and the fact that she never said no (for whatever reason), I just can't take the leap that this guy would've/should've known that what she was expressing was a last second changing of her mind.

But again, totally depends on the nature of the pushing/pinning, which is getting pretty pedantic I guess, but this is a nuanced, unclear situation IMO.

2) I forget what #2 was. I think it may have been that I don't think there's anyway in hell he'd actually be convicted of rape, but that's not exactly the question in the OP.

I would bet the guy's version would be a bit different and would probably include things she left out.
It probably wouldn't include her "snapping out of it". Personally I know that look well. Seen it a million times - usually when my underwear comes off.

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Please treat this topic with respect.[/SIZE]

I recently had a girl I have become friends with tell me about something that happened to her about 5 years ago.

She honestly didn't paint it as a forced situation, and just talked about it being one of the worst nights of her life, biggest regret...etc. I was the one that said that it sounded like date rape. She just replied with "kinda".

One last note I tried to look this guy up and can find no trace of him. I find it very odd that I can't.
It sounds like the only definitive signals/responses she gave to his proposition, both verbally and physically, were saying "no", so yeah, that's rape.

Wait, dudes still go around banging chicks without written consent forms?

Gotta get it writing.

Lawyerguys....does the font size on the anal clause matter?

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]Please treat this topic with respect.[/SIZE]

I recently had a girl I have become friends with tell me about something that happened to her about 5 years ago.

She honestly didn't paint it as a forced situation, and just talked about it being one of the worst nights of her life, biggest regret...etc. I was the one that said that it sounded like date rape. She just replied with "kinda".

One last note I tried to look this guy up and can find no trace of him. I find it very odd that I can't.
It sounds like the only definitive signals/responses she gave to his proposition, both verbally and physically, were saying "no", so yeah, that's rape.
You don't think it sounds like she was a willing participant in the whole going upstairs and getting naked part?

Gotta get it writing.

Should be in all caps at least.

First time with a girl, she's gotta put it in. That's my rule, no exceptions, and I'll be coaching my son to adopt that rule when he's of appropriate age.

This thread has been on-track and productive the whole way. You just don't like what you're hearing, which is that this isn't as clear-cut as you seem to think. Even those of us who more or less agree with you (I'm one of them) can see clear as day that you're heavily invested in this thing emotionally and aren't willing to listen to alternative points of view.
People that have made a valid argument in a respectful way have been treated in kind. I am willing to admit I am more sensitive on this than I should be but I would think the subject matter would require people to be sensitive in kind. This thread is full of instances where I respect what someone else had to say it has typically been when someone takes what I feel to be a shot at the "victim" where I tend to give a more emotional reply.

As far as the thread going how I want I would also kindly disagree. Due to my position the opposing view is more vocal but most people have agreed that on some level this guy forced the girl into sex. Many are not willing to call it rape due to the ambiguity of her lack of consent though.

This guy is only trying to push my buttons and has not added much of value to the conversation except to ask me to diagram sentences.

Gotta get it writing.

Should be in all caps at least.First time with a girl, she's gotta put it in. That's my rule, no exceptions, and I'll be coaching my son to adopt that rule when he's of appropriate age.
What's that now a days? 12?
I sure hope not.

I would bet the guy's version would be a bit different and would probably include things she left out.
Obviously it would. I can not imagine him not having a different version. However, it doesn't change the version of the story that has him pinning a girl down to have sex with him.

Not that you can establish anything for sure from this but what is her demeanor in general like? As a female reading how all of that went down, and the weirdness of this guy post what happened, I think he may have been able to size her up as someone who wouldn't put up real fight/who would respond how she did in the awkwardness of 'is this really happenining?'

It sounds like there was an element of her not saying 'no' because she would, at that point, be boldly admitting to herself this guy is about to rape me..and there's a willful denial in hopes you're getting it wrong, until it's clearly too late. Not speaking from experience, but that thought process makes sense to me if she's generally a gentle, non-confrontational person.

If that mental denial goes visceral, with the whelming factors of the moment, the dude looming over her/some of his weight on her, I could see how it would translate into "wtf, i pushed against him and now this :unsure: *just lays there*.

Users who are viewing this thread