What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What am I missing on Andre Johnson? (2 Viewers)

I took him at 4.03 in my 12 team 2 man keeper League. Basically pick 6.03 on a redraft. Couldn't believe he was still there.

i passed on him twice for White & Harvin ..... AJ went 2 picks after my Harvin

(10 team standard scoring start 3 WR)

age, his hammies, QB, & new coach all added up for me

Funny how age played a part considering White and Andre are THE SAME AGE

:o

Seems like the year his production take a big step back. Banged up and whiny all offseason. Just a gut feeling here. Going to have a year like Colston did last year as DeAndre takes over the WR1 role.

Last edited by a moderator:

Funny how age played a part considering White and Andre are THE SAME AGE

:o
I think it is a reflection of durability for their age. Roddy has been more of a gamer than AJ from an injury perspective. Roddy also has less mileage for his age.

AJ has missed 22 of 176 career games Roddy has only missed 3 of 144. I think we all wish Roddy had sat for a good 5 more weeks last year so he could completely heal up but the fact that he fact that he didn't speaks to his toughness (I am not saying AJ lacks toughness).

I took him at 4.03 in my 12 team 2 man keeper League. Basically pick 6.03 on a redraft. Couldn't believe he was still there.
How many WRs were drafted before him? That info is more helpful then the round you got him in.
These guys were kept:

Crabtree, megatron, Alshon, k. Wright, Nelson, Cobb.

Then Dez, Green, Jones and Marshall in round 1.

Brown, Vjax, K Allen, Roddy. Patterson in round 2.

Floyd, Desean, Garcon, Cruz, Fitzgerald, Harvin, Torrey, Wallace in round 3.

Then I took him at 4.03.

We had our rookie draft about a month ago, and one owner basically announced that he was rebuilding at pick 2.06 and said he had 4 receivers that he would trade for 2nd round picks. It was Reggie Wayne, Anquan Boldin, Wes Welker and Andre Johnson. I sent the offer of my 2.10 for Johnson and it was accepted instantly. I am not sure why he has fell that far, but at the cost of a late 2nd I am willing to ride it out, until the wheels fall off.

For the record I think his floor this year is 80 1000 and 3

We had our rookie draft about a month ago, and one owner basically announced that he was rebuilding at pick 2.06 and said he had 4 receivers that he would trade for 2nd round picks. It was Reggie Wayne, Anquan Boldin, Wes Welker and Andre Johnson. I sent the offer of my 2.10 for Johnson and it was accepted instantly. I am not sure why he has fell that far, but at the cost of a late 2nd I am willing to ride it out, until the wheels fall off.

In Tennessee, Nate Washington had some big yardage games with Fitzpatrick - 117, 105, 92. Kendall Wright had games of 150, 103, 80, 78 and 77 yards with Fitzpatrick. Hunter had only 18 catches for the season, but 2 100 yards games with Fitzpatrick. I think Johnson's floor is 80/1200/6, if he stays healthy.

I picked him up at 3.09 in a 14 team .5 ppr 2 keeper league. I then went and grabbed Roddy at 4.06.

In Tennessee, Nate Washington had some big yardage games with Fitzpatrick - 117, 105, 92. Kendall Wright had games of 150, 103, 80, 78 and 77 yards with Fitzpatrick. Hunter had only 18 catches for the season, but 2 100 yards games with Fitzpatrick. I think Johnson's floor is 80/1200/6, if he stays healthy.
That could be his floor and his ceiling.

I can't figure out why he's never caught many TD's. He's a big receiver that's been dominant for stretches. Looking at his stats line it can easily be something like 10 catches 150 yards and 0 Td's.

Anyone have any ideas?
Bad luck mixed with poor quarterback play would be my guess.
For the last 11 years?
Carr and Schaub, so yeah
Schaub had some very good years. Let's not get lazy about this.

I can't figure out why he's never caught many TD's. He's a big receiver that's been dominant for stretches. Looking at his stats line it can easily be something like 10 catches 150 yards and 0 Td's.

Anyone have any ideas?
For the last 11 years?
Carr and Schaub, so yeah
Schaub had some good years, yes. But Andre had to wait for a lot of long passes because Schaub threw too late and couldn't get it to him in stride. Thus, he had lots of long receptions that weren't TD's. Also, Schaub did not like throwing into tight coverage so unless he was wide open, Andre didn't get a lot of red zone targets. While Fitzgerald is not a great QB, if he gives Andre a chance on some one on one balls in the red zone, Andre's TD's will go up.

Keep in mind what happened when Keenum first started last year: in 2 games, he threw 5 TD's to Andre. He basically saw one on one coverage on Andre and threw it to him. Once teams adjusted and started taking that deep ball away, Keenum struggled.

Anyone have any ideas?
For the last 11 years?
Carr and Schaub, so yeah
Schaub had some good years, yes. But Andre had to wait for a lot of long passes because Schaub threw too late and couldn't get it to him in stride. Thus, he had lots of long receptions that weren't TD's. Also, Schaub did not like throwing into tight coverage so unless he was wide open, Andre didn't get a lot of red zone targets. While Fitzgerald is not a great QB, if he gives Andre a chance on some one on one balls in the red zone, Andre's TD's will go up.

Keep in mind what happened when Keenum first started last year: in 2 games, he threw 5 TD's to Andre. He basically saw one on one coverage on Andre and threw it to him. Once teams adjusted and started taking that deep ball away, Keenum struggled.
This. And let's not forget that Andre Johnson had 8 TDs in 9 games one year. He stays healthy that year and this stigma get nipped in the bud.

The problem is twofold. As the guy above states, Schaub wasn't one to force it to AJ like Stafford does with Calvin. The other problem is that there just haven't been many passing TDs to go around in Houston. Typically 30% of passing TDs is a good number for a WR1. AJ has been right at that number for many years, but there were only 20-25 TDs being thrown under Schaub. It is rare for anybody to hit double digit TDs under those circumstances, but fantasy owners are not typically big picture kind of people so they think the problem lies squarely with AJ.

This. And let's not forget that Andre Johnson had 8 TDs in 9 games one year. He stays healthy that year and this stigma get nipped in the bud.

The problem is twofold. As the guy above states, Schaub wasn't one to force it to AJ like Stafford does with Calvin. The other problem is that there just haven't been many passing TDs to go around in Houston. Typically 30% of passing TDs is a good number for a WR1. AJ has been right at that number for many years, but there were only 20-25 TDs being thrown under Schaub. It is rare for anybody to hit double digit TDs under those circumstances, but fantasy owners are not typically big picture kind of people so they think the problem lies squarely with AJ.
:goodposting: Probably one of the most frustrating thing about watching Schaub over the years (bolded). Just throw it dammit! Let's see how Fitz does with him.

Users who are viewing this thread