What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What College Football Program Do You Follow and Why? (1 Viewer)

Michigan State alum.

I was a Michigan fan until I made my college choice. I thought I'd cheer for both of them after that, but once you get to East Lansing you learn that irrational hatred of all things maize and blue is pretty much a requirement for Spartans.

Michigan State alum.

I was a Michigan fan until I made my college choice. I thought I'd cheer for both of them after that, but once you get to East Lansing you learn that irrational hatred of all things maize and blue is pretty much a requirement for Spartans.
Looking forward to the Oregon game in Lansing this Fall. I haven't decided if I am going to go to the game yet. Should be a good one.

Wisconsin

My father was a Bucky fan and I grew up watching terrible football in the 80s. We were punching bags because we watched terrible Packer teams too. But he taught me to stick with the team that got you there. I did go to school there for a year before I drank too much and did a lot of drugs and got kicked out. But Bucky will always be my team.
I went to a couple of Rose Bowls against Wisconsin, years ago. UCLA lost both of them but...Wisconsin fans are the nicest fans I have ever met (with the possible example of Texas Longhorns fans.)
Ha, 1994. We were all so worried about JJ Stokes. I think he still pulled in like 200/2. And Darrell Bevell had that 21yd TD run that really gave Wisconsin a shot in the arm, not only in the game, but recruiting-wise. Barry solidified himself as The Don in Wisconsin

LSU - family, state, history, plus Death Valley is fantastic.
College men from LSU...No Tulane? Is Bob Toledo still there? (What a schmuck.)
Yes, actually I have a relative who helped found the Sugar Bowl, the idea was that Tulane was the best team in the SEC, there was only the Rose Bowl as the only other bowl game, yadayada.... well needless to say that dissipated. That's an arm of the family that (for the most part) gotten over it. I have an uncle who when LSU last won the National Championship I asked him what he thought, and he sang, "Ovvverrrrateeeed!"

Actually I've met Bob Toledo. It was easy to do, the Tulane radio show was at the back of Bruno's bar and you could walk right in and talk to him. It ask him a question on the radio.
Did you punch him in the face?

Wisconsin

My father was a Bucky fan and I grew up watching terrible football in the 80s. We were punching bags because we watched terrible Packer teams too. But he taught me to stick with the team that got you there. I did go to school there for a year before I drank too much and did a lot of drugs and got kicked out. But Bucky will always be my team.
I went to a couple of Rose Bowls against Wisconsin, years ago. UCLA lost both of them but...Wisconsin fans are the nicest fans I have ever met (with the possible example of Texas Longhorns fans.)
Ha, 1994. We were all so worried about JJ Stokes. I think he still pulled in like 200/2. And Darrell Bevell had that 21yd TD run that really gave Wisconsin a shot in the arm, not only in the game, but recruiting-wise. Barry solidified himself as The Don in Wisconsin
Yeah, the crowd in that game stunned me. There we were in UCLA's home stadium and it was like 90% Wisconsin fans. Just unbelievable.

Michigan State alum.

And here I always thought you rooted for San Jose State!

My dad's best friend played football at USC against Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. 1962- Roger Vander Kelen! My dad's friend always talks about that game. He played special teams. 42-37, considered a classic.

Michigan State alum.

Looking forward to the Oregon game in Lansing this Fall. I haven't decided if I am going to go to the game yet. Should be a good one.
My first MSU game ever was the 1999 season opener against Oregon on a Thursday night. Fantastic game. Our trips to Autzen have been kind of ugly but hopefully we'll get another classic in East Lansing this year.

MSU. MSU alum.

Can't wait for the Oregon game to start things off this season. Should be a great rematch here in EL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoy watching college football, but don't really have a team.

I went to Towson University, which is in the FCS so they don't really count.

Growing up, I always like Florida St since when I was little, I thought they were somehow involved with the Redskins since the colors and logos were similar. But even with them winning a title lately, I didn't get too excited like I would for one of my pro teams I like.

By default, I should be a Maryland fan since that's where I live. Maybe I'll start pulling for them this season.

Mizzou because I live in Missouri.

I don't watch much, though. I prefer the NFL and ref HS football, so my Saturdays are usually left for family time and projects.

Ohio State.

Grew up in the Columbus area and live here now. I went there for my undergrad, met my wife there and she got her undergrad and is currently in grad school there. My brother and BIL went there, my parents both got their PhDs from there and my father also went to undergrad there.

Best pro sports team in Ohio :thumbup:

University at Buffalo - alum and former employee of the football team

Alabama - because when I went to go to UB, I decided I needed to pick a currently-downtrodden-yet-historically-significant team to follow so I could enjoy college football, considering UB was probably the worst team in 1-A at the time. Chose Alabama over Notre Dame because I liked Bear Bryant.....during Mike Shula's first year coaching there :X

Also have a soft spot for Army and Syracuse. My best friend's dad is a Cuse alum and a bigtime history buff and turned us on to both of those programs as kids. I've been to plenty of games at the Carrier Dome. I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan of these teams, but I'll watch em on TV if they're on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been a Penn State fan ever since I was 11 or 12. There was a PSU branch campus nearby and a local radio station broadcast the games. Plus, it's kind of hard to root for your alma mater when they're a D-III school and they suck at football (THE Grove City College).

Wisconsin

Go to a game in Madison and you will discover otherwise.

TCU - alma mater

tOSU - lived all my life in Ohio (except for my time at TCU)

Buckeyes, of course. Spent all of my childhood years within 30 minutes of The 'Shoe. Followed them my whole life as a proper Buckeye should. Went to Optometry school at tOSU, as well.
I lived next to the optometry fraternity on 15th my senior year. Seemed like cool dudes. Partied pretty hard for professional school guys.

Iowa, because I live here and rooting for anyone else is a buzzkill.

I don't recommend it, though. Not only because they're perennially mediocre, but also because Kirk Ferentz makes Chuck Knox look like Mike Martz.

But hey, there's always wrestling.

Miami Hurricanes. My dad was born and grew up in Ft. Lauderdale. He was a die hard fan of the Canes and instilled that in me from birth. I remember going to games in the Orange Bowl long before the '83 championship.

I moved to NC in "97 and went to a Miami vs ECU game that was played in Raleigh due to Hurricane Floyd. I was looking for a team to root for up here and they (ECU) played with such heart despite the obstacles, that I became an instant fan. Awesome game to attend.

Wyoming.

Nice to see I'm not the only one here who follows them. Love the town and my time spent in school there. Plus UW-Milwaukee doesn't have a football team. ;)

Oklahoma - Born there while my pops was in the Air Force in Pilot training, they were always on TV when I started playing football in my early days late 70's early 80's.

NC State because I went to school there

A few others that vary because friends or relatives play for them

Right now I think that list is

West Virginia

ODU

Arkansas Pine Bluff

Northern Iowa

Miami

In 1983, I started liking Miami of Florida, in the years that followed, i liked:

BYU, Oklahoma, Penn St., and Notre Dame. I was really torn the next couple years between four teams: Colorado, Georgia Tech, Washington, and, my original love, Miami.

Thereafter, I moved on to Alabama, Florida State, Nebraska (really liked these guys then), and then Florida.

That was followed by another gut wrenching time. I liked both Michigan and Nebraska. After Peyton Manning finally left, i switched to Tennessee, then Florida State, Oklahoma, Miami, and Ohio State.

Next was a really terrible year. Right then and there, i decided, no more rough years where i couldn't decide who i liked. I chose LSU, but then had a change of heart the next year and went with USC. Just when i thought i really liked USC, i decided i wanted to root for Texas.

Finally, i figured it out! I would root for a conference! I picked the SEC since they were clearly the best of the best, at least for around 7 years or so. (really liked Florida at first, then LSU. Went with Alabama and Auburn after that)

last year, after I liked Florida State the year prior, I decided to like Ohio State.

Haven't really decided who i will pull for this year. Get back to me.

Ohio State. Lived in Columbus all my life. Went to OSU. Five years in the band. Dotted the "i" three times.
GTFO.... Isn't that this highest honor in Ohio?
It is somewhat of a "celebrity status". OSU fans like to know someone who did it. I'm in technical sales, so I use it where I can to form relationships with new clients. The farther I get from Columbus, the less value it has. And I never bring it up to clients in Michigan.

Buckeyes, of course. Spent all of my childhood years within 30 minutes of The 'Shoe. Followed them my whole life as a proper Buckeye should. Went to Optometry school at tOSU, as well.
I lived next to the optometry fraternity on 15th my senior year. Seemed like cool dudes. Partied pretty hard for professional school guys.
Ah yes, EYE. What years? I can imagine a couple of guys from my class would fall into that category.

Ohio State. Lived in Columbus all my life. Went to OSU. Five years in the band. Dotted the "i" three times.
GTFO.... Isn't that this highest honor in Ohio?
It is somewhat of a "celebrity status". OSU fans like to know someone who did it. I'm in technical sales, so I use it where I can to form relationships with new clients. The farther I get from Columbus, the less value it has. And I never bring it up to clients in Michigan.
I can't imagine why... :lol:

Purdue I guess since I went there but there's generally not much to cheer for. Think I stayed for the 2nd half of 1 game in my 4 years there.

Whoever is playing notre dame because they are smarmy assclowns who were all to happy to kick our butts in football but Digger was too big of a vajeen to come play us in hoops.

tOSU grew up rooting for them, wife went there, but it is often more fun to root against them and give their fans crap.

Canes.

Grew up watching them. Heck of ride in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. It's been a struggle now for a while though. But....I don't care. They are my local college team as well as......

Went to FAU but we did not have any team during my time there. I do follow them closely though and it gave me the insight to draft Alfred Morris in a few leagues. Plus the stadium is 15 minutes from my house and tickets are given away for games.

So I am following the Owls a ton these days...in fact far more than the Canes.

Todem said:
Canes.

Grew up watching them. Heck of ride in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's. It's been a struggle now for a while though. But....I don't care. They are my local college team as well as......

Went to FAU but we did not have any team during my time there. I do follow them closely though and it gave me the insight to draft Alfred Morris in a few leagues. Plus the stadium is 15 minutes from my house and tickets are given away for games.

So I am following the Owls a ton these days...in fact far more than the Canes.
I like it. Lot of Howard Schnellenberger legacy there. Lived in Louisville when Howard was building that program in the early-mid 1990's. Had a lot of fun watching his teams and have followed him since his days in Miami.

I'd have to throw the Canes in there too as one of my favorites, as they were my team long before I went to college. Had lots of fun watching those teams in the 1980s to 2000s as well. Louisville would be a sentimental favorite as well, just because I was there at the early stages, when they were building the program into what it is today. heck, they were playing at the Redbirds baseball stadium at the fairgrounds back then...lol..

Missouri - my university didn't have college football, and this is the state I live in.

I attend generally 1 game a year, sometimes 2.

However, due to not attending a school with college football, I generally only follow that team and am generally oblivious to what's going on in other college games even within the SEC even within their own division.. I'm a very mild uneducated fan. If they aren't playing well, I just won't follow it or won't watch.

My school had D1 basketball, but are one of those programs where they really shouldn't be D1... it's ridiculous to even be in the save division as other schools. We've never made the NCAA tourney, and aren't actively trying to get better... so I follow MIssouri there as well.

Mad Cow said:
Peyton Marino said:
Ah yes, EYE. What years? I can imagine a couple of guys from my class would fall into that category.
2011-2012.

I follow Notre Dame because my next door neighbor was an alum who gave me a ton of ND clothes when I was a kid. They were always on TV (80's) so I was hooked quickly.

I follow Navy because my nephew was an Army man as a 8-year old and our yearly tradition was the NCAA football game and Army v Navy. He is in fact an Army man so I also have a soft spot for Army but Navy is still my team.

Michigan fan from birth

Kansas fan by choice / law school

follow Alabama by current proximity

won't call myself a fan of the Tide yet, but I will cheer for them unless they happen to play either of the above. KU/Michigan hasn't been much of an issue.

Mad Cow said:
Peyton Marino said:
2011-2012.
Ah, well, nm then. I was at OD school 1996-2000. I am sure the partying ways were continued on just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread