What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (3 Viewers)

Working on a sixer of New Belgium Dig. A mild pale ale. If you want a pale ale that isn't overpowering like a Stone IPA or Sierra Nevada it's a good one to try.

White House Honey Ale. Self brewed. Mighty tasty!!!! If there are any home brewers out there that want the recipe, pm me

4 packs of Founders Breakfast Stout at Trader Joe's for $6? I'll take 4. That settles my Saturday basketball watching right there.

Right now, I'm working my way through a pint of Local Species by Blue Mountain Barrel House. It's a Belgian Ale thang.

It's amazing the variety out there these days - even somewhere like the hillbillyland I live in. There are vinyards and microbreweries every-freaking-where.

Full Stone Vertical Epic today...lots of fun, the 02.02.02 held up remarkably well. That the 05.05.05 and the 10.10.10 were the favorites I think

Community Beer Works IPA x several
FYI, this just finished second overall in the National IPA Championship. Beat Racer 5, a Fathead beer of some kind, and Founders Centennial en route to the final.Doing Buffalo proud...I wasn't kidding when I said it was probably the best IPA I've ever had.

Thursday night a group of about 10 guys are getting together for a bottle share in honor of a buddy who is getting married Saturday. A bottle of 2011 Utopia will be opened by the host. :o There's nothing anyone else can do to meet the request to "bring a bottle worthy of this bottle share", but gotta make a respectable effort...

I have some solid choices available from when everything was 30% at a local liqueur store that was struggling to pay its bills a few months ago. I've done a pretty good job of pacing myself on those but all the Unibroue and Chimay are gone. Need to figure out which of the remaining stock to bring.

Thursday night a group of about 10 guys are getting together for a bottle share in honor of a buddy who is getting married Saturday. A bottle of 2011 Utopia will be opened by the host. :o There's nothing anyone else can do to meet the request to "bring a bottle worthy of this bottle share", but gotta make a respectable effort...

I have some solid choices available from when everything was 30% at a local liqueur store that was struggling to pay its bills a few months ago. I've done a pretty good job of pacing myself on those but all the Unibroue and Chimay are gone. Need to figure out which of the remaining stock to bring.
St. Bernardus is one of my favorites.

Of those pictured (ignoring the Chimay and Unibroue stuff, like you said), I'd go with St. Bernardus Tripel and Ommegang Three Philsosophers. I've not had those Green Flash beers though, those could be decent. Never been a huge fan of the Abbey Ale, but I haven't had it recently. I can't tell what the bottle in the far back left is.How old are the 3 Philosophers/Abbey Ale? Those are the old labels.

I don't think anyone would turn their nose up at 3 Philosophers. I love that stuff.Alchemy Hour, Belgian strong dark homebrew and some Oscar Blues Old Chubb for me tonight at my NCAA bracket draft with the guys.

Of those pictured (ignoring the Chimay and Unibroue stuff, like you said), I'd go with St. Bernardus Tripel and Ommegang Three Philsosophers. I've not had those Green Flash beers though, those could be decent. Never been a huge fan of the Abbey Ale, but I haven't had it recently. I can't tell what the bottle in the far back left is.

How old are the 3 Philosophers/Abbey Ale? Those are the old labels.
2011A college buddy is in town and will be tagging along, so I guess we'll bring four bottles... Three Philosophers, Abbey Ale, Green Flash Trippel, and Affligem Tripel.

Something strong....Friday, about 1:20, I'm a little over an hour from the weekend and what do you know, a kid on my caseload lost his cool, threatened an administrator, and was arrested in school. I am not looking forward to this next week at all.

I have received an offer to get 2 cases of Deschutes at $4/6 pack. My options are Black Butte, Red Chair, Chain Breaker, or Mirror Pond. I am totally unfamiliar with this brewery. Any good beers there? What should I get?

I have received an offer to get 2 cases of Deschutes at $4/6 pack. My options are Black Butte, Red Chair, Chain Breaker, or Mirror Pond. I am totally unfamiliar with this brewery. Any good beers there? What should I get?
Holy ####, des chutes is great IMHO. All.
Maybe I should try for more than 2 cases? My SIL works for Gallo and gets some amazing prices on beer, wine, and liquor. She is throwing a shower and her boss offered her this deal to provide the beer for the shower. She told me she'd hook me up on the order. I had never had Deschutes so I hesitant to commit to much.

Maybe I should try for more than 2 cases? My SIL works for Gallo and gets some amazing prices on beer, wine, and liquor. She is throwing a shower and her boss offered her this deal to provide the beer for the shower. She told me she'd hook me up on the order. I had never had Deschutes so I hesitant to commit to much.
Six packs from them cost $15 here so I've never had any from them, but my advice to you would be to get as many cases as possible at that price..

Last edited by a moderator:
Six packs from them cost $15 here so I've never had any from them, but my advice to you would be to get as many cases as possible at that price..
Ok, cool. I will definitely take advantage of this.

I've never had it, but I know the Black Butte porter is very highly regarded. A guy I brew with considers it the best porter money can buy.

I've never had it, but I know the Black Butte porter is very highly regarded. A guy I brew with considers it the best porter money can buy.
Black Butte is pretty good. At $4 it's a no brainer. I was pleasantly surprised with Red Chair NWPA. I would get at least 2 cases of that alone at that price. Haven't tried Mirror Pond or anything else. 6 packs are 7.99 or 8.99 of Deschutes in Chicagoland. At least in my neck of the woods.

Black Butte is pretty good. At $4 it's a no brainer. I was pleasantly surprised with Red Chair NWPA. I would get at least 2 cases of that alone at that price. Haven't tried Mirror Pond or anything else. 6 packs are 7.99 or 8.99 of Deschutes in Chicagoland. At least in my neck of the woods.
My SIL works out of Chicago and said this was about 50% off, so I knew it was a good deal. It's just that there is a lot of good beer,liquor, wine out there and I didn't want a a couple cases of something so-so that would just sit around. $4 sixer is definitely worth pretty good and pleasantly surprised.

Completely understand. Black Butte is really good too. I would get a few cases. There may be a bunch of good beer out there, and there is, but at that price point you almost have to.

In unrelated news, I can't wait for Ballast Point's entry into Chicago in May.

Yeah, you should jump on this offer. Deschutes is a great brewery. I really like their Red Chair Northwest Pale Ale. I recall it having really fresh-tasting pine, citrus, and grapefruit hops that were perfectly balanced by a nice caramel backbone. I remember it for being extremely well-balanced and highly drinkable. Last year, it won the honor of "World's Best Beer" from the World Beer Awards. Not sure I'd go quite that far, but it is probably my favorite pale ale and is definitely worth picking up several 6-packs at $4-6 dollars a pack. The Black Butte porter is also pretty great. It has been awhile since I had it, but it consistently gets great reviews on all the beer review websites. I think that the Red Chair NWPA and Black Butte porter are the best options on the list, but at that price I would just go ahead and get an assortment of all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
AM - Pliny the Elder

PM - Damnation and Racer 5

if Georgetown screws the pooch, it's going to be Jameson until i cannot see.

Red Chair NWPA is one of my top 5 favorite beers. It kinda straddles the line between a pale ale and IPA. It is clean, citrusy, and piney, but extremely smooth and easy to drink. I'd skip the Mirror Pond in favor of Red Chair. Black Butte is good, but I am not in the mood for porters all that often. Chain Breaker is the White IPA if I recall correctly. Not something I would typically go for, but it is really good for what it is. Very citrusy and would be a good IPA to drink on a hot summer day.Jump on this deal ASAP!!

The comments and suggestions on Deschutes tonight have been really helpful. Thanks guys, this is why I love this place.

Users who are viewing this thread