What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

World War II (1 Viewer)

The Surrender of Germany

On April 30, Hitler committed suicide during the Battle of Berlin, and so the surrender of Germany was authorized by his replacement, President of Germany Karl Dönitz. The administration headed up by Dönitz was known as the Flensburg government. The act of military surrender was signed on May 7 in Reims, France, and May 8 in Berlin, Germany.

More than a million people celebrated in the streets to mark the end of the European part of the war. Many hardships remained, however, including continued rationing of food and clothing, which lasted even longer in peacetime than it had during the war. In London, crowds massed in Trafalgar Square and up The Mall to Buckingham Palace, where King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, accompanied by Prime Minister Winston Churchill, appeared on the balcony of the Palace before cheering crowds. Princess Elizabeth (the future Queen Elizabeth II) and her sister Princess Margaret were allowed to wander anonymously among the crowds and take part in the celebrations.

In the United States, President Harry Truman, who turned 61 that day, dedicated the victory to the memory of his predecessor, Franklin D. Roosevelt, who had died less than a month earlier, on April 12. Flags remained at half-staff for the remainder of the 30-day mourning period, which ended on May 12. Massive celebrations also took place in Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, and especially in New York City's Times Square.

This completes my narrative of World War II. Ozymandias is going to continue with a narrative of the Manhattan project and the surrender of Japan. At a certain point in the future, I may add further narrative about the aftermath of WWII, and also any special battles or significant stories or events that we might have missed.

I hope you guys have enjoyed reading this stuff as much those of us who worked on the narrative enjoyed relating it. Very shortly I will be beginning a Civil War thread with the same idea in mind, though that one will be even more exhaustive, if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
timschochet & Ozymandias thank you both for your contributions to this most awesome of threads. Really, really well done guys :lmao:

tim, if you have any information on the battle of th eHuertgen forest I'd love to hear it. One of the more useless, overlooked battles in WWII that bogged down the war effort for no particular reason that I can come up with.

This completes my narrative of World War II. Ozymandias is going to continue with a narrative of the Manhattan project and the surrender of Japan. At a certain point in the future, I may add further narrative about the aftermath of WWII, and also any special battles or significant stories or events that we might have missed.I hope you guys have enjoyed reading this stuff as much those of us who worked on the narrative enjoyed relating it. Very shortly I will be beginning a Civil War thread with the same idea in mind, though that one will be even more exhaustive, if possible.
Great job, Tim. Maybe you could add a page on the Nuremberg Trials, although they happened much later.I will complete the Pacific war on Monday. There is just too much going on with family and trips to the airport and bowl games this weekend.

This really was a great thread. Thanks to timschochet and Ozy for all the great narratives. Really appreciated the great read the past few months.

OUTSTANDING reading tim and Ozy. I'm a history geek who garnered some revealing info I was previously unaware of. Thanks for all the time and effort; and I'm anxiously awaiting the Civil War narrative. :goodposting:

THE END GAME IN THE PACIFIC

On May 8, 1945, Germany surrendered. After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the US had decided that the first strategic priority was to defeat Germany. Now they turned to the second; obtain an unconditional surrender of Japan, as they had from Germany. Whether this was absolutely necessary or not has been much argued about. However, if anything less than unconditional surrender had been obtained, there is no doubt the Japanese would have propagandized it as a victory, and a triumph of the Bushido code. (It is instructing to note that the signing of the Korean Cease Fire is even today called “The American Surrender Ceremony” by the North Koreans.)

In July 1945, the US War Department General Staff estimated Japanese military strength as follows: in the home islands (mainly Kyushu and Honshu), slightly under 2,000,000; in Korea, Manchuria, China, and Formosa, slightly over 2,000,000; in French Indochina, Thailand, and Burma, over 200,000;in the East Indies area, including the Philippines, over 500,000; in the by-passed Pacific islands,over 100,000. The total strength of the Japanese Army was estimated at about 5,000,000 men. These estimates later proved to be in very close agreement with official Japanese figures.

The Japanese Army was in much stronger condition than the Japanese Navy and Air Force. The Navy had practically ceased to exist except as a harrying force against an invasion fleet. The Air Force has been reduced mainly to reliance upon Kamikaze, or suicide, attacks. These attacks, however, had already inflicted serious damage on the US Navy, and their possible effectiveness in a last ditch fight was a matter of real concern to the US Chiefs of Staff. Additionally, there was the recognition that the terrain of Japan made it much more difficult to conduct swift armored operations, as Patton had shown to be so effective in Europe.

As the US understood it in July, there was a very strong possibility that the Japanese government might determine resistance to the end, in all the areas of the Far East under its control. In such an event the Allies would be faced with the enormous task of destroying an armed force of five million men and five thousand suicide aircraft, belonging to a culture which had already amply demonstrated its ability to fight literally to the death. Additionally, there was real concern that guerrilla type operations could continue for years in all the areas above mentioned, unless the war came to a definitive conclusion.

There was much discussion in Washington about the timing of the warning to Japan. The controlling factor in the end was the date already set for the Potsdam meeting of the Big Three. It was President Truman’s decision that such a warning should be solemnly issued by the U.S. and the U.K. from this meeting, with the concurrence of the head of the Chinese government, so that it would be plain that all of Japan’s principal enemies were in entire unity. The declaration was issued on July 26, 1945.

THE POTSDAM DECLARATION

The declaration is fairly long, but here are the salient points:

“The result of the futile and senseless German resistance to the might of the aroused free peoples of the world stands forth in awful clarity as an example to the people of Japan. The might that now converges on Japan is immeasurably greater than that which, when applied to the resisting Nazis, necessarily laid waste to the lands, the industry and the method of life of the whole German people. The full application of our military power, backed by our resolve, will mean the inevitable and complete destruction of the Japanese armed forces and just as inevitably the utter devastation of the Japanese homeland.

Following are our terms. We will not deviate from them. There are no alternatives. We shall brook no delay.

The Japanese military forces, after being completely disarmed, shall be permitted to return to their homes with the opportunity to lead peaceful and productive lives.

We do not intend that the Japanese shall be enslaved as a race or destroyed as a nation, but stern justice shall be meted out to all war criminals, including those who have visited cruelties upon our prisoners. The Japanese Government shall remove all obstacles to the revival and strengthening of democratic tendencies among the Japanese people. Freedom of speech, of religion, and of thought, as well as respect for the fundamental human rights shall be established.

The occupying forces of the Allies shall be withdrawn from Japan as soon as these objectives have been accomplished and there has been established in accordance with the freely expressed will of the Japanese people a peacefully inclined and responsible government.

We call upon the government of Japan to proclaim now the unconditional surrender of all Japanese armed forces, and to provide proper and adequate assurances of their good faith in such action. The alternative for Japan is prompt and utter destruction.”

On July 28th, the government of Japan rejected the declaration, and announced it was “unworthy of public notice.” The die was cast.

THE END GAME IN THE PACIFIC II

With the rejection of the Potsdam Declaration by the Japanese, and the accompanying Japanese Government statement that "We will do nothing but press on to the bitter end to bring about a successful completion of the war.", the Allies were left with three main options: 1,Starving Japan through a naval blockade and incessant air attacks; 2, Invading Japan; and 3, Dropping atomic bombs to bring about a surrender.

Option 1 had already been discarded some time before as taking too long, being somewhat uncertain as to its outcome, and bringing about steady level of casualties, perhaps for years. It would also be the probable cause of death of millions of civilians.

Option 2 was already far advanced in planning,with Operation Downfall scheduled to begin with the invasion of Kyushu in November, 1945. That would be followed by the invasion of Honshu (where Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka and Kyoto are) in March of 1946. The American leadership did not believe that the American public would countenance a war which lasted much beyond 1946. It would cause at least a million US casualties, and given the usual ratio, it meant 250,000 dead US soldiers, sailors and airmen. Stateside hospitals had already been briefed on handling an immense amount of wounded.

The third option was to drop atomic bombs on Japanese cities, and hope that the psychological shock, on top of the death and destruction already experienced, would bring about the desired surrender. Two bombs were available immediately, and new bombs could be produced at a rate of one every two weeks.

On the Japanese side, they had been preparing for what they saw as the inevitable invasion of Japan by bringing back their best troops from Manchuria and Korea. But they assumed that the invasion of Japan would not come until the late fall, so they believed that in rejecting the Potsdam Declaration, there “was no need to hurry.”

Having invested billions of dollars and an immense manpower effort in a four year project to create an atomic weapon, US leaders saw no reason to refrain from using it, when it had the potential to save hundreds of thousands of American lives. On July 24th, President Harry S. Truman made the decision to drop the bomb, if the Japanese rejected the Potsdam Declaration.

The morning of August 6, 1945, the skies were predicted to be clear over Hiroshima. (Hiroshima was one of several possible targets—a city large enough so that damage would be caused even if the bomb was somewhat off target, with military installations, and relatively unscathed so far, so that damage assessment could be made). The population of Hiroshima was approximately 350,000.

On August 6th, at 2:45 am, the B-29 Enola Gay departed Tinian—destination Hiroshima. At 8:15 am, flying at 30,000 ft, the bomb (code named Little Boy, was dropped). It was about 10 ft long and weighed 4,000 lbs. Although it had about 150 lbs of uranium, less than 2 lbs underwent nuclear fission, and about ½ ounce was transformed into energy. It exploded with the power of somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 tons of TNT.

At Hiroshima, severe structural damage to buildings extended about 1 mile from ground zero, making a circle of destruction 2 miles in diameter. The blast sent out a hyper-intensified shock wave which traveled at slightly above the speed of sound, turning buildings into shrapnel. There was little or no structural damage outside of this one-mile radius. At one mile, the force of the blast wave was 5 psi, with enough duration to implode houses and reduce them to kindling.

Estimates of the death total vary, but the upper level is usually around 140,000. (By contrast, the Tokyo firebombing is thought to have killed 200,000).

Military bases repeatedly tried to call the Army Control Station in Hiroshima. The complete silence from that city puzzled the men at headquarters; they knew that no large enemy raid had occurred and that no sizeable store of explosives was in Hiroshima at that time. A young officer of the Japanese General Staff was instructed to fly immediately to Hiroshima, to land, survey the damage, and return to Tokyo with reliable information for the staff. It was generally felt at headquarters that nothing serious had taken place and that the explosion was just a rumor.

The staff officer went to the airport and took off for the southwest. After flying for about three hours, while still nearly one hundred miles from Hiroshima, he and his pilot saw a great cloud of smoke from the bomb. In the bright afternoon, the remains of Hiroshima were burning. Their plane soon reached the city, around which they circled in disbelief. A great scar on the land still burning and covered by a heavy cloud of smoke was all that was left. They landed south of the city, and the staff officer, after reporting to Tokyo, immediately began to organize relief measures.

By August 8, 1945, newspapers in the U.S. were reporting that broadcasts from Radio Tokyo had described the destruction observed in Hiroshima. "Practically all living things, human and animal, were literally seared to death," Japanese radio announcers said in a broadcast received by Allied sources.

THE END GAME IN THE PACIFIC III

During the month of July, Japanese radio communications had been monitoring the extensive Soviet buildup of forces in Manchuria, as Stalin transferred hundreds of thousands of troops which had been involved in the German front. Unknown to the Japanese, Stalin had agreed at the conference in Teheran that he would declare war on Japan within three months of the surrender of Germany. However, although the Japanese expected that the Soviets would eventually move against them in Manchuria, they did not think that the Russians would be in a position to do that until late August. Then, two days after Hiroshima, exactly three months after the surrender in Germany, the USSR declared war on Japan, and invaded Manchuria. The next day, an atomic bomb exploded over Nagasaki, killing an estimated 80,000 people.

It was now apparent to all but a few diehards that the end had come. However, the Japanese Army was still imbued with the Bushido spirit, and some of them believed that it was better for 80 million to die than to live with dishonor. Others believed that they could inflict such casualties on the invading Allies that they could obtain a peace which was more favorable to them.

With the knowledge of the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki by incredibly powerful new bombs, and the Soviet invasion of Manchuria, an Imperial conference was called in the emperor's elaborate air-raid shelter at midnight on Aug.10 to consider Japan's next step. There were still hardliners in the Cabinet, representing the military, who insisted on continuing the hopeless struggle. The argument went on for hours; finally Adm. Kantaro Suzuki, the Prime Minister, rose and proposed that Hirohito make the decision whether to surrender or go on fighting.

This was ''an extraordinary deviation from time-honored practice,'' Toshikazu Kase wrote later. Hirohito was equal to it. According to authoritative accounts of that historic night, the emperor rose from his thronelike seat at the head of the conference table and made an impromptu statement in which he said:

“I have given serious thought to the situation prevailing at home and abroad and have concluded that continuing the war can only mean destruction for the nation and prolongation of bloodshed and cruelty in the world. I cannot bear to see my innocent people suffer any longer. ...

I was told by those advocating a continuation of hostilities that by June new divisions would be in place in fortified positions [east of Tokyo] ready for the invader when he sought to land. It is now August and the fortifications still have not been completed. ...

There are those who say the key to national survival lies in a decisive battle in the homeland. The experiences of the past, however, show that there has always been a discrepancy between plans and performance. I do not believe that the discrepancy in the case of Kujukuri (a landing beach east of Tokyo) can be rectified. Since this is also the shape of things, how can we repel the invaders? [He then made some specific reference to the increased destructiveness of the atomic bomb]

It goes without saying that it is unbearable for me to see the brave and loyal fighting men of Japan disarmed. It is equally unbearable that others who have rendered me devoted service should now be punished as instigators of the war. Nevertheless, the time has come to bear the unbearable. ...

I swallow my tears and give my sanction to the proposal to accept the Allied proclamation on the basis outlined by the Foreign Minister.”

The Japanese now sent a message via the Swiss Embassy that they were willing to accept the terms of surrender, provided the Emperor was maintained in his position as Head of State. The Allies debated over the reply, and finally sent a message on August 12 that he would be subject to the Supreme Commander of the Allied Powers.

This caused intense debate within the Japanese Cabinet on August 13, so on August 14 Truman ordered an all-out attack by the Third Fleet and B-29 bombers. In the longest bombing raid of the war, B-29's bombed the refinery which provided two thirds of Japan's fuel capacity. At the suggestion of American psychological operations experts, B-29s had spent August 13 dropping leaflets over Japan, describing the Japanese offer of surrender and the Allied response. The leaflets had a profound effect on the Japanese decision-making process. As August 14 dawned, Suzuki, Kido, and the Emperor realized the day would end with either an acceptance of the American terms or a military coup.

At a conference with the cabinet and other councilors, General Anami, Admiral Toyoda, and General Umezu again made their case for continuing to fight, after which the Emperor said,

“I have listened carefully to each of the arguments presented in opposition to the view that Japan should accept the Allied reply as it stands and without further clarification or modification, but my own thoughts have not undergone any change. ... In order that the people may know my decision, I request you to prepare at once an imperial rescript so that I may broadcast to the nation. Finally, I call upon each and every one of you to exert himself to the utmost so that we may meet the trying days which lie ahead.”

The cabinet immediately convened and unanimously ratified the Emperor's wishes. Immediately after the conference, the Foreign ministry transmitted orders to their embassies in Switzerland and Sweden to accept the Allied terms of surrender. These orders were picked up and received in Washington at 02:49, August 14.

Although the Japanese Emperor had possessed almost mystical power for time immemorial, the reality was that the real power in Japan had often resided in the Shogun; the hereditary military dictator of Japan, who was the Protector of the Emperor.

So it was not without precedent that a group of military officers would now proceed with a last ditch coup d'etat attempt against the government and the Emperor, to avoid the humiliation of Japan's surrender to the Allies.

END GAME IN THE PACIFIC IV

Late on the night of August 12, 1945, Major Hatanaka, along with Lieutenant Colonels Ida, Take####a (Anami's brother-in-law), and Masao, and Colonel Arao, the Chief of the Military Affairs Section, spoke to War Minister General Anami (the army minister and "most powerful figure in Japan besides the Emperor himself"),hoping for his support, and asking him to do whatever he could to prevent acceptance of the Potsdam Declaration. General Anami refused to say whether he would help the young officers in treason. As much as they needed his support, Hatanaka and the other rebels decided they had no choice but to continue planning and to attempt a coup d'état on their own. Hatanaka spent much of August 13 and the morning of August 14 gathering allies, seeking support from the higher-ups in the Ministry, and perfecting his plot.

Shortly after the conference on the night of August 13–14 at which the surrender was finally decided, a group of senior army officers including Anami gathered in a nearby room. All those present were concerned about the possibility of a coup d'état to prevent the surrender—some of those present may have even been considering launching one. After a silence, General Kawabe proposed that all senior officers present sign an agreement to carry out the Emperor's order of surrender—"The Army will act in accordance with the Imperial Decision to the last." It was signed by all the high ranking officers present, including Anami, Sugiyama, Umezu, Doihara, Kawabe, Kawabe, and Wakamatsu. This written agreement by the most senior officers in the Army, in addition to Anami's announcement, acted as a formidable obstacle against any attempt to incite a coup d'état in Tokyo.

Around 9:30 pm on August 14, Hatanaka's rebels set their plan into motion. The Second Regiment of the First Imperial Guards had entered the palace grounds, doubling the strength of the battalion already stationed there, presumably to provide extra protection against Hatanaka's rebellion. However, Hatanaka, along with Lt. Col. Shiizaki, convinced the commander of the 2nd Regiment of the First Imperial Guards, Colonel Toyojirō, of their cause, by telling him (untruthfully) that Anami, Umezu, and the commanders of the Eastern District Army and Imperial Guards Divisions were all in on the plan. Hatanaka also went to the office of General Tanaka, commander of the Eastern region of the army, to try to persuade him to join the coup. Tanaka refused, and ordered Hatanaka to go home. Hatanaka ignored the order.

Originally, Hatanaka hoped that by simply occupying the palace, by simply showing the beginnings of a rebellion, the rest of the Army would be inspired and would rise up against the move to surrender. This philosophy guided him through much of the last days and hours and gave him the blind optimism to move ahead with the plan, despite having little support from his superiors. Having set all the pieces into position, Hatanaka and his co-conspirators decided that the Guard would take over the palace at 02:00. The hours until then were spent in continued attempts to convince their superiors in the Army to join the coup. At about the same time, General Anami committed seppuku, leaving a message that, "I—with my death—humbly apologize to the Emperor for the great crime."

At some time after 1:00 am, Hatanaka and his men surrounded the palace. Hatanaka, and Lt. Col. Shiizaki went to the office of Lt. General Takeshi Mori to ask him to join the coup. Mori was in a meeting with his brother-in-law, Michinori Shiraishi. Mori's cooperation, as commander of the 1st Imperial Guards Division, was crucial to the coup. When Mori refused to side with Hatanaka, Hatanaka killed him, fearing Mori would order the Guards to stop the rebellion; and Shiiraishi was also killed. These were the only two murders of the night. Hatanaka then used General Mori's official stamp to authorize Imperial Guards Division Strategic Order No. 584, a false set of orders created by his co-conspirators, which would greatly increase the strength of the forces occupying the Imperial Palace and Imperial Household Ministry, and "protecting" the Emperor.

The palace police were disarmed and all the entrances blocked. Over the course of the night, Hatanaka's rebels captured and detained eighteen people, including Ministry staff, and NHK (Tokyo Radio) workers sent to record the surrender speech.

The rebels, led by Hatanaka, spent the next several hours fruitlessly searching for Imperial House Minister Ishiwatari, Lord of the Privy Seal Kido, and the recording of the surrender speech. The two men were hiding in the "bank vault", a large chamber underneath the Imperial Palace. The search was made more difficult by a blackout in response to Allied bombings, and by the archaic organization and layout of the Imperial House Ministry. Many of the rooms' names were unrecognizable to the rebels. The rebels did find the chamberlain Tokugawa. Though Hatanaka threatened to disembowel him with a samurai sword, Tokugawa lied and told them he did not know where the recording or men were. During their search, the rebels cut nearly all of the telephone wires, severing communications between their prisoners on the palace grounds and the outside world.

Around 3:00 am, Hatanaka was informed by lieutenant colonel Ida that the Eastern District Army was on its way to the palace to stop him, and that he should simply give up. Finally, seeing his plan crumbling to pieces around him, Hatanaka tried to plead with Takashima, Chief of Staff of the Eastern District Army, to be given at least ten minutes on the air on NHK radio. He wanted to explain to the people of Japan what he was trying to accomplish and why. He was refused.

Colonel Haga, commander of the 2nd Regiment of the First Imperial Guards, discovered that the Army was not, in fact, in support of this rebellion, and he ordered Hatanaka to leave the palace grounds.

Just before 5:00 am, as his rebels continued their search, Major Hatanaka went to NHK studios, and, brandishing a pistol, tried desperately to get some airtime to explain his actions. A little over an hour later, after receiving a phone call from the Eastern District Army, Hatanaka finally gave up. He gathered his officers and walked out of the NHK studio.

Within an hour before the Emperor's broadcast, sometime around 11:00 am August 15, Major Hatanaka placed his pistol to his forehead, and shot himself. Shiizaki stabbed himself with a dagger, and then shot himself. The attempted coup d'etat was over.

So the broadcast went on air, and Hirohito, who the Japanese heard for the first time in their life, said:

“... Despite the best that has been done by everyone—the gallant fighting of the military and naval forces, the diligence and assiduity of Our servants of the State, and the devoted service of Our one hundred million people—the war situation has developed not necessarily to Japan's advantage, while the general trends of the world have all turned against her interest”. (this was somewhat archaic language, and not quite understood by many).

“Moreover, the enemy has begun to employ a new and most cruel bomb, the power of which to do damage is, indeed, incalculable, taking the toll of many innocent lives. Should we continue to fight, not only would it result in an ultimate collapse and obliteration of the Japanese nation, but also it would lead to the total extinction of human civilization.

Such being the case, how are We to save the millions of Our subjects, or to atone Ourselves before the hallowed spirits of Our Imperial Ancestors? This is the reason why We have ordered the acceptance of the provisions of the Joint Declaration of the Powers.

The hardships and sufferings to which Our nation is to be subjected hereafter will be certainly great. We are keenly aware of the inmost feelings of all of you, Our subjects. However, it is according to the dictates of time and fate that We have resolved to pave the way for a grand peace for all the generations to come by enduring the unendurable and suffering what is unsufferable.”

The combination of the precarious state of the Japanese economy, the unreadiness to face an invasion, the entrance of the Soviet Union into the war against Japan, and above all, the deadly new bomb referred to by Hirohito in his speech, had proved to be enough to make the Emperor overrule his generals and accept the provisions of the Potsdam Declaration.

The war was over. Millions of lives were saved.

The surrender document was signed on the battleship Missouri in Tokyo Bay on September 2, 1945.

I see you in here, Ozy.

Would you please register an alias of George Templeton Strong and continue to post in the ACW thread?

TIA

Ozy-

According to William Manchester's The Glory and the Dream, a group of Japanese actually plotted to sabatoge the surrender ceremony on the U.S. Missouri and kill all Americans present, including Halsey, MacArthur, etc. Two questions:

1. Could they have gotten away with this?

2. What do you think would have been the American response?

Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian Delady, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know... was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like ol' squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark comes to the nearest man and that man, he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.

Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, boson's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He's a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian Delady, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know... was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like ol' squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark comes to the nearest man and that man, he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, boson's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He's a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
1.17 in The Great Movie DraftCat killer

Ozy-

According to William Manchester's The Glory and the Dream, a group of Japanese actually plotted to sabatoge the surrender ceremony on the U.S. Missouri and kill all Americans present, including Halsey, MacArthur, etc. Two questions:

1. Could they have gotten away with this?

2. What do you think would have been the American response?
Can I take a stab at that?1. No, but then again the Japanese do have Ninjas.

2. There would not be any Japanese left.

General George S. Patton was assassinated to silence his criticism of allied war leaders claims new book

(From Telegraph July 2009, just stumbled upon it.)

George S. Patton, America's greatest combat general of the Second World War, was assassinated after the conflict with the connivance of US leaders, according to a new book.

The newly unearthed diaries of a colourful assassin for the wartime Office of Strategic Services (OSS), the forerunner of the CIA, reveal that American spy chiefs wanted Patton dead because he was threatening to expose allied collusion with the Russians that cost American lives.

The death of General Patton in December 1945, is one of the enduring mysteries of the war era. Although he had suffered serious injuries in a car crash in Manheim, he was thought to be recovering and was on the verge of flying home.

But after a decade-long investigation, military historian Robert Wilcox claims that OSS head General "Wild Bill" Donovan ordered a highly decorated marksman called Douglas Bazata to silence Patton, who gloried in the nickname "Old Blood and Guts".

His book, "Target Patton", contains interviews with Mr Bazata, who died in 1999, and extracts from his diaries, detailing how he staged the car crash by getting a troop truck to plough into Patton's Cadillac and then shot the general with a low-velocity projectile, which broke his neck while his fellow passengers escaped without a scratch.

Mr Bazata also suggested that when Patton began to recover from his injuries, US officials turned a blind eye as agents of the NKVD, the forerunner of the KGB, poisoned the general.

Mr Wilcox told The Sunday Telegraph that when he spoke to Mr Bazata: "He was struggling with himself, all these killings he had done. He confessed to me that he had caused the accident, that he was ordered to do so by Wild Bill Donovan.

"Donovan told him: 'We've got a terrible situation with this great patriot, he's out of control and we must save him from himself and from ruining everything the allies have done.' I believe Douglas Bazata. He's a sterling guy."

Mr Bazata led an extraordinary life. He was a member of the Jedburghs, the elite unit who parachuted into France to help organise the Resistance in the run up to D-Day in 1944. He earned four purple hearts, a Distinguished Service Cross and the French Croix de Guerre three times over for his efforts.

After the war he became a celebrated artist who enjoyed the patronage of Princess Grace of Monaco and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

He was friends with Salvador Dali, who painted a portrait of Bazata as Don Quixote.

He ended his career as an aide to President Ronald Reagan's Navy Secretary John Lehman, a member of the 9/11 Commission and adviser to John McCain's presidential campaign.

Mr Wilcox also tracked down and interviewed Stephen Skubik, an officer in the Counter-Intelligence Corps of the US Army, who said he learnt that Patton was on Stalin's death list. Skubik repeatedly alerted Donovan, who simply had him sent back to the US.

"You have two strong witnesses here," Mr Wilcox said. "The evidence is that the Russians finished the job."

The scenario sounds far fetched but Mr Wilcox has assembled a compelling case that US officials had something to hide. At least five documents relating to the car accident have been removed from US archives.

The driver of the truck was whisked away to London before he could be questioned and no autopsy was performed on Patton's body.

With the help of a Cadillac expert from Detroit, Mr Wilcox has proved that the car on display in the Patton museum at Fort Knox is not the one Patton was driving.

"That is a cover-up," Mr Wilcox said.

George Patton, a dynamic controversialist who wore ivory-handled revolvers on each hip and was the subject of an Oscar winning film starring George C. Scott, commanded the US 3rd Army, which cut a swathe through France after D-Day.

But his ambition to get to Berlin before Soviet forces was thwarted by supreme allied commander Dwight D. Eisenhower, who gave Patton's petrol supplies to the more cautious British General Bernard Montgomery.

Patton, who distrusted the Russians, believed Eisenhower wrongly prevented him closing the so-called Falaise Gap in the autumn of 1944, allowing hundreds of thousands of German troops to escape to fight again,. This led to the deaths of thousands of Americans during their winter counter-offensive that became known as the Battle of the Bulge.

In order to placate Stalin, the 3rd Army was also ordered to a halt as it reached the German border and was prevented from seizing either Berlin or Prague, moves that could have prevented Soviet domination of Eastern Europe after the war.

Mr Wilcox told The Sunday Telegraph: "Patton was going to resign from the Army. He wanted to go to war with the Russians. The administration thought he was nuts.

"He also knew secrets of the war which would have ruined careers.

I don't think Dwight Eisenhower would ever have been elected president if Patton had lived to say the things he wanted to say." Mr Wilcox added: "I think there's enough evidence here that if I were to go to a grand jury I could probably get an indictment, but perhaps not a conviction."

Charles Province, President of the George S. Patton Historical Society, said he hopes the book will lead to definitive proof of the plot being uncovered. He said: "There were a lot of people who were pretty damn glad that Patton died. He was going to really open the door on a lot of things that they screwed up over there."
Anybody know more on this or feel like it's highly plausible?

Just finished watching the WW II in Color documentary. Never realized how brutal the Russians were, raping the German women and blowing up ships of civilians trying to escape. Brutal stuff. Pretty much ignored people surrendering and killed them. Got some serious payback. Also never realized how the Allies and Russia were almost doing their own things. Very little in common outside of fighting Germany.

Hitler was clueless when it came to fighting a war. The guy never listened to any of his Generals.

Hitler was clueless when it came to fighting a war. The guy never listened to any of his Generals.
He did at the start of the war. He listened carefully to Guderian and Manstein during the invasion of France. In fact, Hitler must be credited as being one of the very few warlords in history that was willing to incorporate new strategies as they became available due to technology.

But Hitler was also one of those extremely aggressive guys who always wanted to be on the attack. He wanted to be the one on offense, hated defensive strategy of any kind. That's why, later in the war he refused to listen to generals who were cautious and defensive.

Just finished watching the WW II in Color documentary. Never realized how brutal the Russians were, raping the German women and blowing up ships of civilians trying to escape. Brutal stuff. Pretty much ignored people surrendering and killed them. Got some serious payback. Also never realized how the Allies and Russia were almost doing their own things. Very little in common outside of fighting Germany.

Go find The World at War, it's even better than WWII in Color.

The Japanese were nuts!
So were the Germans. So were the Soviets. It is a tremendous testament to how brave the British and American troops had to be to fight and win the World War. It also helps explain the Cold War. Having seen the results of aggressive and radical ideology first hand lots of people and leaders were intent on not experiencing another Munich. The opposite of Munich is events like Berlin Air Lift, Korean War, and the Vietnam War.

MARSHALL ISLANDS AND THE MARIANAS II

INVASION OF SAIPAN

Bombardment of Saipan began on June 13, 1944. Fifteen battleships were involved, and 165,000 shells were fired. Seven modern fast battleships delivered 2,400 sixteen-inch shells, but to avoid potential minefields, fire was from a distance of 10,000 yards or more, and crews were inexperienced in shore bombardment. The following day the eight pre-Pearl Harbor battleships and eleven cruisers under Admiral Jesse B. Oldendorf replaced the fast battleships but were lacking in time and ammunition.

The landings began at 07:00 on June 15, 1944. More than 300 LVTs landed 8,000 Marines on the west coast of Saipan by about 09:00. Eleven fire support ships covered the Marine landings. The naval force consisted of the battleships USS Tennessee and California. The cruisers were Birmingham and Indianapolis. The destroyers were Norman Scott, Monssen, Colahan, Halsey Powell, Bailey, Robinson and the Albert W. Grant.

Careful Japanese artillery preparation — placing flags in the bay to indicate the range — allowed them to destroy about 20 amphibious tanks, and the Japanese strategically placed barbed wire, artillery, machine gun emplacements, and trenches to maximize the American casualties.

However, by nightfall the 2nd and 4th Marine Divisions had a beachhead about 6 miles wide and 1/2 mile deep. The Japanese counter-attacked at night but were repulsed with heavy losses. On June 16, units of the U.S. Army's 27th Infantry Division landed and advanced on the Aslito airfield. Again the Japanese counter-attacked at night. On June 18 Japanese General Saito abandoned the airfield.

The invasion surprised the Japanese high command, which had been expecting an attack further south. Admiral Toyoda Soemu, commander-in-chief of the Japanese Navy, saw an opportunity to use the A-Go force to attack the U.S. Navy forces around Saipan. They decided to send in the Imperial Navy, and the resulting Battle of the Philippine Sea will be dealt with next. However, that was such a devastating defeat for Japan, that re-supplying Saipan became impossible.

Without resupply, the battle on Saipan was hopeless for the defenders, but the Japanese were determined to fight to the last man. Saito organized his troops into a line anchored on Mount Tapotchau in the defensible mountainous terrain of central Saipan. The nicknames given by the Americans to the features of the battle — "Hell's Pocket", "Purple Heart Ridge" and "Death Valley" — indicate the severity of the fighting. The Japanese used the many caves in the volcanic landscape to delay the attackers, by hiding during the day and making sorties at night. The Americans gradually developed tactics for clearing the caves by using flamethrower teams supported by artillery and machine guns.

The operation was marred by inter-service controversy when Marine General Holland Smith, unsatisfied with the performance of the 27th Division, relieved its commander, Army General Ralph C. Smith. However, General Holland Smith had not inspected the terrain over which the 27th was to advance. Essentially it was a valley surrounded by hills and cliffs under Japanese control. The 27th took heavy casualties and eventually, under a plan developed by General Ralph Smith and implemented after his relief, had one battalion hold the area while two other battalions successfully flanked the Japanese.

By July 7, the Japanese had nowhere to retreat. Saito made plans for a final suicidal banzai charge. On the fate of the remaining civilians on the island, Saito said, "There is no longer any distinction between civilians and troops. It would be better for them to join in the attack with bamboo spears than be captured."

At dawn, with a group of a dozen men carrying a great red flag in the lead, the remaining able-bodied troops — about 3,000 men — charged forward in the final attack. Amazingly, behind them came the wounded, with bandaged heads, crutches, and barely armed. The Japanese surged over the American front lines, engaging both Army and Marine units. The 1st and 2nd Battalions of the 105th U.S. Infantry were almost destroyed, losing 650 killed and wounded. However, the fierce resistance of these two battalions, as well as that of Headquarters Company, 105th Infantry, and elements of 3rd Battalion, 10th Marines (an artillery unit) resulted in over 4,300 Japanese killed. For their actions during the 15-hour Japanese attack, three men of the 105th Infantry were awarded the Medal of Honor - all posthumously. Numerous others fought the Japanese until they were overwhelmed by what turned out to be the largest Japanese Banzai attack in the Pacific War.

By 16:15 on July 9, Admiral Turner announced that Saipan was officially secured. Saito, along with commanders Hirakushi and Igeta, committed suicide in a cave. Also committing suicide at the end of the battle was Vice-Admiral Chuichi Nagumo, the naval commander who led the Japanese carriers at Pearl Harbor and Midway Atoll, who had landed on Saipan to help lead the ground defense.

Many hundreds of Japanese civilians committed suicide in the last days of the battle, some jumping from "Suicide Cliff" and "Banzai Cliff". Efforts by U.S. troops to persuade them to surrender instead were mostly futile. Widespread propaganda in Japan portraying Americans and British as "devils" who would treat POWs barbarically, deterred surrender.

In the end, about 22,000 Japanese civilians died. Almost the entire garrison of troops on the island — at least 30,000 — died. For the Americans, the victory was the most costly to date in the Pacific War. 2,949 Americans were killed and 10,364 wounded, out of 71,000 who landed.

Among the wounded was the actor Lee Marvin. He was injured in the buttocks by Japanese fire which severed his sciatic nerve. He received a medical discharge. (but went on the kill Nazis in The Dirty Dozen-lol)

(PFC Guy Gabaldon, a Mexican-American from Los Angeles, California, is officially credited with capturing more than 1,000 Japanese prisoners during the battle. PFC Gabaldon, who was raised by Japanese-Americans, used a combination of street Japanese and guile to convince soldiers and civilians alike that U.S. troops were not barbarians, and that they would be well treated upon surrender. For his outstanding bravery, Gabaldon received a Silver Star, which was upgraded to the Navy Cross. During the war, his commanders had requested that he receive the Medal of Honor for his actions; however, his initial award was the Silver Star. In 1998, efforts were re-initiated to secure the Medal of Honor for PFC Gabaldon. The effort is still ongoing.)
Hell of a thread.

Also just a reminder how brutally costly some of the past wars were. The Battle of Saipan involved around 60,000 casualties and took place in an area the size of most US counties, probably often smaller.

Today is the anniversary of the beginning of the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Iwo Jima Veterans Mark 71st Anniversary of WWII Battle

Members of the Iwo Jima Association of America, including Marine Corps, Navy and Army Air Corps veterans of the battle, came to Washington to mark the 71st anniversary of the World War II battle. Video by Michael Morones/Military Times

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/videos/military/2016/02/20/80657290/

Arthur Reynolds helping Bert Rutan. More US Marines earned the Medal of Honor on Iwo Jima than in any other battle in US History.

In 36 days of fighting there were 25,851 US casualties (1 in 3 were killed or wounded). Of these, 6,825 American boys were killed. Virtually all 22,000 Japanese perished.

The Marines’ effort provided a vital link in the U.S.chain of bomber bases. By war’s end, 2,400 B-29 bombers carrying 27,000 crewman had made emergency landings on Iwo Jima.
http://www.iwojima.com/battle/battled.htm

BATTLE OF IWO JIMA

Iwo Jima lay about halfway between the Marianas Islands and the main islands of Japan. It is about 650 miles directly south of Tokyo, and was administered as part of Ogasawara, one of eight villages of Tokyo. It is only about 8 square miles in area, but saw some of the fiercest fighting of the war.

By the time 1945 had arrived, the Japanese were under no illusions that they could conduct offensive operations against the United States. Their focus had to be the defense of the homeland, with the idea of making it so costly to the Americans that they would be able to achieve an armistice on terms favorable to themselves.

The Japanese believed that: “In the light of the above situation, seeing that it was impossible to conduct our air, sea, and ground operations on Iwo Jima toward ultimate victory, it was decided that in order to gain time necessary for the preparation of the Homeland defense, our forces should rely solely upon the established defensive equipment in that area, checking the enemy by delaying tactics. Even the suicidal attacks by small groups of our Army and Navy airplanes, the surprise attacks by our submarines, and the actions of parachute units, although effective, could be regarded only as a strategical ruse on our part. It was a most depressing thought that we had no available means left for the exploitation of the strategical opportunities which might from time to time occur in the course of these operations.”

The American plan of attack was relatively straightforward. The 4th and 5th Marine Divisions were to land on the south-eastern beach and initially focus on securing Mount Suribachi, the southern airfields and the west coast. Once this was completed, the line, reinforced by the 3rd Marine Division, would swing and advance to the northeast. In preparation for the invasion, B-24 Liberators operating out of the Marianas bombed the island for 74 days.

The invasion of Iwo Jima began on February 19, 1945, and battles on the island continued to March 26, 1945. The battle was a major initiative of the Pacific Campaign of World War II. The Marine invasion, known as Operation Detachment, was charged with the mission of capturing the airfields on the island which up until that time had harried U.S. bombing missions to Tokyo. Once the bases were secured, they could then be of use in the impending invasion of the Japanese mainland.

Intelligence sources were confident that Iwo Jima would fall in a week, unaware that the Japanese were preparing a complex defensive posture, radically departing from any of their previous tactics. So successful was the Japanese preparation that it was discovered after the battle that the hundreds of tons of Allied bombs and thousands of rounds of heavy naval gunfire left the Japanese defenders almost unscathed and ready to inflict losses on the U.S. Marines unparalleled up to that point in the Pacific War.

The Imperial Japanese Army positions on the island were heavily fortified, with vast bunkers, hidden artillery, and 11 miles of tunnels. The battle was the first U.S. attack on the Japanese Home Islands and the Imperial soldiers defended their positions tenaciously.

At 02:00 on February 19, 1945, the formidable 16-inch battleship guns from USS North Carolina, USS Washington and later added USS West Virginia signaled the commencement of the invasion of Iwo Jima. American naval craft used nearly everything available in their arsenal to shell the island, from the main guns to the antiaircraft flak cannons to the newly developed rockets. Soon thereafter, 100 bombers attacked the island, followed by another volley from the naval guns.

At 08:59, one minute ahead of schedule, the first of an eventual 30,000 Marines of the 3rd, 4th, and 5th Marine Divisions, under V Amphibious Corps, landed on the beach. The initial wave was not hit by Japanese fire for quite some time; it was the plan of Japanese General Kuribayashi to hold fire until the beach was full of Marines and equipment. Many of the Marines who landed on the beach in the first wave speculated that perhaps the naval artillery and air bombardment of the island had killed all of the Japanese troops that were expected to be defending the island. In the deathly silence, they became somewhat unnerved as Marine patrols began to advance inland in search of the Japanese positions.

Only after the front wave of Marines reached a line of Japanese bunkers defended by machine gunners did they take hostile fire. Many cleverly concealed Japanese bunkers and firing positions suddenly lit up and the first wave of Marines took devastating losses from machine guns. Marine casualties on the first day were over 2,000. Aside from the Japanese defenses situated on the actual beaches, the Marines faced heavy fire from Mount Suribachi at the south of the island. It was extremely difficult for the Marines to advance because of the inhospitable terrain, which consisted of volcanic ash.

This ash allowed for neither a secure footing nor the construction of defensive foxholes to protect the Marines from hostile fire. However, the ash did help to absorb a portion of the fragments that were expelled by the Japanese artillery. The Japanese heavy artillery in Suribachi would open their reinforced steel doors to fire and then immediately close their doors following to prevent counterfire from the American forces. This made it extremely difficult for American units to destroy a piece of Japanese artillery.

To make matters worse for the American troops, the bunkers were connected to the elaborate tunnel system so that bunkers that were cleared with flamethrowers and grenades became operational shortly afterwards. These reactivated bunkers caused many additional casualties among them as Marines walking past these bunkers did not expect them to suddenly become hostile again. The Marines advanced slowly while taking heavy machine gun and artillery fire. Due to the arrival of armored units, and heavy naval artillery and air units maintaining a heavy base of fire on Suribachi, the Marines were eventually able to advance past the beaches. 760 Marines made a near-suicidal charge across to the other side of Iwo Jima that day. They took heavy casualties, but they made a considerable advance. By the evening, the mountain had been cut off from the rest of the island, and 30,000 Marines had landed. About 40,000 more would follow.

The fighting was extremely fierce. The Americans' advance was stalled by numerous defensive positions augmented by artillery, where they were ambushed by Japanese troops that occasionally sprang out of tunnels. At night, the Japanese would leave their defenses under cover of darkness to attack American foxholes, and battleships fired star shells to deny them cover of darkness. Many Japanese soldiers who knew English would deliberately call for Navy corpsmen, and then shoot them as they approached.

The Marines learned that firearms were relatively ineffective against the Japanese defenders and effectively used flamethrowers and grenades to flush out Japanese troops in the tunnels. One of the technological innovations of the battle, the eight Sherman M4A3R3 medium tanks equipped with the Navy Mark I flame thrower, proved very effective at clearing Japanese positions. The Shermans were difficult to disable, such that defenders were often compelled to assault them in the open, where the Japanese troops would fall victim to the superior numbers of Marines.

The highest position on Iwo Jima was Mt. Suribachi (more on that later). After the fall of Mt. Suribachi in the south, the Japanese still held a strong position throughout the island. General Tadamichi Kuribayashi still had the equivalent of eight infantry battalions, a tank regiment, two artillery and three heavy mortar battalions, plus the 5,000 gunners and naval infantry. With the landing area secure, more troops and heavy equipment came ashore and the invasion proceeded north to capture the airfields and the remainder of the island. Most Japanese soldiers fought to the death.

After running out of most water, food, and supplies, the Japanese troops became desperate towards the end of the battle. Kuribayashi, who had argued against banzai attacks at the start of the battle, realized that Japanese defeat was imminent. Marines began to face increasing numbers of nighttime attacks; these were only repelled by a combination of machine gun defensive positions and artillery support. At times, the Marines engaged in hand-to-hand fighting to repel the Japanese attacks.

On the night of March 25, a 300-man Japanese force launched a final counterattack. The Marines suffered heavy casualties; more than 100 were killed and another 200 Americans were wounded. The island was officially declared "secured" the following day. The number of American casualties was greater than the total Allied casualties at Battle of Normandy on D-Day. Of the approximately 21,000 Japanese soldiers present at the beginning of the battle, over 20,000 were killed and only 1,083 taken prisoner.

Even after Iwo Jima was about to be declared secured, about three thousand Japanese soldiers were left alive in the island's warren of caves and tunnels. Those who could not bring themselves to commit suicide hid in the caves during the day and came out at night to prowl for provisions. Some did eventually surrender and were surprised that the Americans often received them with compassion - offering them water, cigarettes, or coffee. The last of these stragglers, two of Lieutenant Toshihiko Ohno's (whose body was never found) men, Yamakage Kuschitu and Matsudo Linsoki, lasted six years, surrendering in 1951.

Costly as it was, the taking of Iwo Jima did save the lives of many USAAF aircrew, as the island was used to land B-29 bombers on their way to, or back from Japan. The B-29 was a spectacularly successful heavy bomber, but was plagued with engine malfunctions, and Iwo Jima was the safe harbor for many stragglers. The airbase on Iwo Jima handled over 2,400 emergency landings by B-29's. It also enabled the USAAF to send long range P-51 fighters to escort B-29 raids originating in Tinian or Saipan.

Associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal took what is probably the most famous picture of the war (in US eyes), when he snapped a photograph of six marines raising the US flag on Mt. Suribachi. Contrary to some early reports, the photograph was not staged. Three of the men raising the flag were killed in later fighting on the island.

The picture was used by sculptor Felix de Weldon to sculpt the USMC War Memorial, located adjacent to Arlington National Cemetery.

You have probably seen it before, but here is the picture of the raising of the flag:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a...lag_raising.jpg

Great read by a poster who is no longer around.

Iwo Jima Retrospective

For all who bear its scars, the battle for Iwo Jima, 58 years ago (February 19-March 26, 1945), still looms gargantuan, unbelievable, devouring; not measurable by Guadalcanal, Peleliu or Belleau Wood, but by its own arena, complexity, ferocity and the character of its combatants, whose American casualties were one third of all Marine Corps casualties in the war.

Major General Fred Haynes, Manhattan, NY, who has been back to Iwo Jima three times, will return again in March with the Combat Veterans of Iwo Jima, which he heads, to understand it and why and how much the battle for Iwo Jima stood apart from the wars he experienced later in Korea and Vietnam.

Of the 3,400 coming ashore with the 28th Regiment, 5th Marine Division, then -- Captain Haynes recalls only 600 were standing when the battle closed. Yet, it wasn't ferocity alone -- certainly Korea and Vietnam had that -- but a dedication on either side giving the Marines an enemy so resolved, inventive and so masterful as to make the ground itself a powerful ally.

For the 70,000 Americans, Iwo Jima was the step to the Japanese heartland and to the end of an awful war. For the 22,000 Japanese defenders, Iwo Jima was the defense of their very hearths and homes as it was part of the Tokyo Imperial Prefecture (county). It was assaulted by the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions of the Fifth Marine Amphibious Corps, which included supporting sea and air units.

Iwo Jima was the only Marine battle where the American casualties, 26,000, exceeded the Japanese -- most of the 22,000 defending the island. The 6,800 American servicemen killed doubled the deaths of the Twin-Towers of 9/11.

The Japanese defense was headed by General Tadamichi Kuribayashi, resourceful, resolute, much admired by his men and respected by the Americans. LtCol Justice M. Chambers (Medal of Honor) commanding 3rd Bn, 25th Marines, 4th Marine Division, recalled how General Kuribayashi ordered each soldier to kill ten Marines -- "for a while he was beating their quotas."

Four miles long, shaped like a pork chop, covering eight square miles, Iwo had no front lines, no rear, every inch a battleground. "We were confronted with defenses being built for years," explained Captain Haynes, who later commanded the 2nd and 3rd Marine Divisions. "There were complex, subterranean levels, some two stories down. From these the defenders could approach the enemy on the surface virtually anywhere through warrens, spider holes, caves, and crevices.

"At great cost, you'd take a hill to find then the same enemy suddenly on your flank or rear. The Japanese were not on Iwo Jima. They were in it!" Colonel Thomas M. Fields (USMC Ret), the University of Maryland's memorable public affairs officer, has already revisited the ankle-deep black sand around Mount Suribachi. "I'd known combat in the Solomons with its sly ambushes and jungle firefights," said the former Captain, "but Iwo was another kind of war. On Iwo by the 8th day, only two officers of my second battalion (26th Marines, 5th Marine Division) were standing ... We had one prisoner -- unconscious, his clothes blown off."

For then Pfc. George Gentile, Newington, CT, the enemy was nowhere and everywhere, especially at night. "All around you, talking, moving. Only hand grenades you trusted, one after another. But now there's something bright on Iwo Jima - green. It is pushing up through the black volcanic sand and paints the leaves of spindly trees. I saw that when I was back to Iwo Jima a few years ago. There are birds, too -- I heard them singing. But we'll see this spring if Iwo can soften its past." Dr. Gentile, retired Connecticut State Dental Commission, and NE Regional Board of Examiners, is President and Founder of the Iwo Jima Survivors Association, originating in Connecticut.

"I want to see Iwo Jima one more time," says 81- year-old Corporal Robert Hall, Batavia, IL, a retired pipe fitter who will join the 12,000-mile journey. "I left some good friends there. It was a battle with no front line -- all man-to-man, inch by inch." In a pioneer (construction and support) battalion in the 5th Marine Division, Hall on the assault could hardly believe that any Japanese could have survived the American bombardment. "One Japanese soldier blew up in front of me. My M-1 round must have hit a grenade he was carrying." Son, Robert Jr., will return with him.

"Of course, going back better organizes your thoughts and memories," says Corporal Edward Mortimer "Mort" Denell, 84, a retired Oscoda, MI automobile technician. "I do want to see where I fought." A machine gunner with the 1st Bn, 26th Marines, Mort is still deaf from a shell blast that shattered every one of his teeth and cut in half six Marines opposite him. He can still grimace at the thought of mortar rounds, "faster'n you could count. I crawled -- scraping my belly -- to a hole, but a round followed. It cut in half the six Marines opposite me."

A telling note in Mort's war diary reads, "I can't believe how 24 hours ago, we entered through the gates of hell. I've lost quite a few buddies. The worst part is to see them blown to bits right in front of you. You're talking to a friend and right in the middle of a sentence a bullet tears through his head." Mort will return with nine members of his family, including wife Theresa and grandchildren.

Sgt Charles A Bateman, Cooperstown, NY (the baseball capital) -- his daughter, Carol, is mayor -- got himself listed as missing in action. Slammed by a 320 mm spigot mortar, Sgt Bateman woke up on a hospital ship with a tag on his big toe that said "Concussion." "Didn't look serious to me so I jumped ship, went ashore and rejoined my unit. So, I was missing then, officially MIA. Sorrowfully, a telegram saying that got to my family. You can imagine their relief when they found the message was wrong." Bateman can pick out the very spot where he landed. He'll walk on it again on this second return with a grandson. He went back to Iwo Jima with another grandson two years ago.

It was at the terminal quadrant at the bitter end of the island that the enemy exhibited uncommon desperation and ferocity. The terrain too was a nightmare. Then Captain Haynes surveyed it in a cub observation plane -- ravines, ledges, and ridges -- and "wondered how his Marines would ever get through."

In that amphitheatre PFC Louis R. Machala, Dallas, TX, was with his machine gun unit in F Company, 2nd Bn, 9th Marines, 3rd Marine Division. Under cover of darkness, the company had slipped unto the rock-stubbled areas to find at first light that they were facing a low ridge infested with enemy. Machala and his crew were able to get the wounded out on ponchos, while others managed to escape through the bottom hatches of rescuing tanks, which Machala had hazardously stood up to hail.

Casualties propelled 2ndLt Robert E. Cudworth, Camillus, NY, from platoon leader to commander of A Company 1st Bn, 9th Marines. All battalion officers above him were casualties. "Not surprising," explained Bob. "Some companies got commanded by Sergeants."

As in recent years, Kiyoshi Endo, Yokosuka City, Chairman of the Survivors of Iwo Jima will execute the ancient water ceremony at the granite memorial to the dead at the base of Mount Suribachi. From the dim ages of Samurai the water ceremony has washed the souls of dead heroes. But, can an enemy be a hero to Americans casually wondered Kuribayashi, 80, oldest son of the General, at a recent reunion. His mother, the General's widow had returned as well. Retired Marine Colonel Warren H. Wiedhahn, helping arrange the Iwo Jima return, explains that a mortal foe once defeated, wounded, dead or prisoner can remain a brave soldier.

One Japanese soldier who did survive was Masaji Osawa (109th Infantry Division) -- enlisted, chubby faced, affable, who has been back. In labored English he explained how American bombardment followed you wherever you went. And it was deafening, he said, by cupping his ears.

But, neither Osawa, Hall, Denell nor the others were there because they wanted to be. Retired Lieutenant General Lawrence F. Snowden, USMC (Ret) (in 1945 a Captain), former Marine Corps Chief of Staff, told American and Japanese veterans at the Iwo memorial dedication, "We were here because our respective government ordered us here. Those of us who stood on this island in 1945 might find it almost unbelievable that we stand here together once gain to honor our fallen comrades. While we mourn their loss, we also celebrate the lives we shared with them."

Colonel Edward F. Danowitz, USMC (Ret), Altamonte Springs, Fl says, "These were the most important days, moments, seconds in their lives... We, who are Marines, who lock arms and embrace today, are not friends, not neighbors. We are brothers of combat. For those who fight for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know. That is what ties Marines together, and those that were there can savor the flavor that only combat veterans know."

As General James L. Jones, 32nd Commandant of the Marine Corps, said, "The valor and sacrifice of the Marines and Sailors who fought on Iwo Jima is, today and forever, the standard by which we judge what we are and what we might become."
http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,NI_Iwo_Jima2,00.html

Users who are viewing this thread