What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (3 Viewers)

This will be interesting to see how Goodell reacts. Whether or not Gordon knocked this woman up, for the sake of his own PR perspective, Goodell might just decide to bring the hammer down.

Question:

If Gordon's previous suspensions were a result of his running afoul of the NFL drug policy...this sounds like it would apply more to the personal conduct policy of which he has not run afoul of previously to my knowledge.  So wouldn't that be more applicable in this case?  Just asking here...don't know but this would seem to be a relevant distinction.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not exactly how it works.

once you've got the arrest warrant, if he comes in they will place him under arrest.

at this point it's comsidered contempt of court for refusing to follow a court order. 

Which makes this a criminal matter instead of a civil matter. 

Not an attorney, but I'm reasonably sure that's how this works.

id say 75% likely Gordon gets suspended over this. And that might be generous. 
lol hes not getting suspended for this.  certainly not this year at least.

GODdell 
I don't know if that was a Freudian Slip or not, but it rings true in the NFL.
And yet he probably has his authority within the work place more restricted than any boss, president or CEO that most of us on this board have ever worked for. Excepting any of you who might be auto workers or the like.

How many types of offenses can you commit at work where an independent arbitrator gets called in to decide the issue? 

And yet he probably has his authority within the work place more restricted than any boss, president or CEO that most of us on this board have ever worked for. Excepting any of you who might be auto workers or the like.

How many types of offenses can you commit at work where an independent arbitrator gets called in to decide the issue? 
Wasn't really a comment on The Commish's power, per se - more on the way ATB typed the name.  Although, in the not too distant past, Goodell was swinging a much larger hammer, and if I'm not mistaken, he still is in the position of handing down punishment, and then being the same person handling the appeals of the same punishments, in many cases.  (Or did they just fix that?  I don't remember).

Either way, was just commenting on the Slip, Greg. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is an active warrant out for someone's arrest, generally they execute the warrant and let everything else settle itself out later on. The penalty will be handled later on. If Gordon were smart (big IF) he would be in contact with his attorney ASAP to work out a deal pretty damn quick for him to take the test and avoid any arrest. There have been times where a warrant was issued but the person took care of the matter and the warrant was lifted (typically for family court issues or a lack of payment on a fine).

Yes, and will add that this is an election year.  No DA in NE Ohio is going to commit political suicide by arresting Josh Gordon if he agrees to submitting to a blood test.  They will drop the bench warrant the second he submits to a blood test.

TONS of players are targets and get accused of fathering children and many have TONS of illegitimate kids.  See Ray Lewis who was arrested and has been accused of much more series offenses but he has about a dozen illegitimate kids and some guy, I think it is Aquib Talib, has at least that many and counting.  

Goodell won't touch this.  It is a third rail that would end his reign as commish faster than you can imagine.  

Yes, and will add that this is an election year.  No DA in NE Ohio is going to commit political suicide by arresting Josh Gordon if he agrees to submitting to a blood test.  They will drop the bench warrant the second he submits to a blood test.

TONS of players are targets and get accused of fathering children and many have TONS of illegitimate kids.  See Ray Lewis who was arrested and has been accused of much more series offenses but he has about a dozen illegitimate kids and some guy, I think it is Aquib Talib, has at least that many and counting.  

Goodell won't touch this.  It is a third rail that would end his reign as commish faster than you can imagine.  
Why would this player transgression - particularly relating to Gordon - be any more detrimental than previous player transgressions?

Wasn't really a comment on The Commish's power, per se - more on the way ATB typed the name.  Although, in the not too distant past, Goodell was swinging a much larger hammer, and if I'm not mistaken, he still is in the position of handing down punishment, and then being the same person handling appeals of them in many cases.  (Or did they just fix that?  I don't remember).

Either way, was just commenting on the Slip, Greg. :)
Yeah, just kind of a sore point that caught me while I had a minute to type at lunch.  It's a big difference between the NFL commissioner having too much authority (he doesn't and if he does every company in America has a bigger problem)... and how Goodell has bungled so many of the investigations and decisions. Even when it's clear cut and he has, say, the Saints dead to rights with video of them offering a bounty and a record of the payouts, he still can't carry it out in a way that doesn't leave the league looking bad.

Just expressing my frustration, not at you really.  :thumbup:

Nothing to see here. Gordon continues to show us he has changed and become a new man. Who cares if he is evading the law? As long as he produces on the field, it doesn't matter that he dodges responsibility. Don't they all? (Professional athletes).

Nothing to see here. Gordon continues to show us he has changed and become a new man. Who cares if he is evading the law? As long as he produces on the field, it doesn't matter that he dodges responsibility. Don't they all? (Professional athletes).
That's kind of my take on this. 

Signed, 

~Gordon owner, breathing a huge sigh of relief if this is a non-issue

TONS of players are targets and get accused of fathering children and many have TONS of illegitimate kids.  
While I agree with this, TONS of players choose to submit to a court ordered [anything] so as to avoid having a warrant out for their arrest. 

So I get what you're saying, but let's not skirt the real issue: the warrant was not issued because Gordon couldn't wear a condom, the warrant was issued for failing to submit to a court ordered paternity test. 

It sounds like this will blow over, but with any arrest warrant, or in Gordon's case, just making the news for *anything* negative involving the law, he could have been considered in violation of the league's personal conduct code. Generally the NFL expects players to comply with, rather than simply ignore the law. 

Any idea how old the kid is?  I mean, if the kid is 3 or something, this could have been a situation from before he was even in the NFL to begin with.

I mean, if the kid is 3 or something, this could have been a situation from before he was even in the NFL to begin with.
Regardless, the transgression isn't having a kid, the transgression is failing to follow a court ordered paternity test, which he just did, while in the NFL. ;)   

NFL official statement on the matter.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/arrest-warrant-issued-for-browns-wide-receiver-josh-gordon-in-paternity-case-1.713398?%3F%3F=

...The NFL, though, won't punish Gordon in connection with the legal matter.

"This [case] will not affect his status [with the league]," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told the Beacon Journal on Wednesday afternoon.

This will not affect his status with the league.

Tony Grossi only has one tweet on the matter.  If there was a real story here, he would be all over it but this is all he put out.

Tony Grossi ‏@TonyGrossi  2h2 hours ago
#Browns say Josh Gordon & attorney working with Cuy County Courts to resolve paternity test situation. No further comment.
No affect, Josh's attorney is resolving the matter, and no further comment.

IOWs nothing to see here. :tumbleweed:

The warrant has been out there since 8/31/16. The court ordered paternity test was supposed to be completed by 9/25/15. The mother is on public assistance. Gordon is making a base of $817K. If the child is his, she'll get around 15% (roughly 10K per month.)

:(

It won't affect his status with the league ... until it does. Anybody remember what happened with AP? At first everyone was fine with it until the internet/facebook/twitter blowback saying the NFL has to grow a spine and do something. Could this happen with Gordon? Unfortunately, yes. I wouldn't be breathing a sigh of relief just yet.

If somebody had created Josh Gordon in a role playing game for football, his strength, speed and catch would be 100, but they forgot to put a few points in the intelligence column, and I am a Gordon owner!

:(

It won't affect his status with the league ... until it does. Anybody remember what happened with AP? At first everyone was fine with it until the internet/facebook/twitter blowback saying the NFL has to grow a spine and do something. Could this happen with Gordon? Unfortunately, yes. I wouldn't be breathing a sigh of relief just yet.

If somebody had created Josh Gordon in a role playing game for football, his strength, speed and catch would be 100, but they forgot to put a few points in the intelligence column, and I am a Gordon owner!
So video of abusing a child = failing to comply with a court ordered paternity test?  OK

Dr. Octopus said:
Yeah, that wouldn't be what the suspension would be about if there was one (and I agree that there won't be one).
Yeah -  He has/had an arrest warrant issued. At that point, he has run afoul of the law. Doesn't matter what it's for - he's on "double secret probation" - Goodell could have suspended him for his 1,973,217th strike. 

Sounds like he's not going to, but the crime wasn't fathering a child, it was failing to comply with a court order.  

Not sure why people don't get that.  

Yeah -  He has/had an arrest warrant issued. At that point, he has run afoul of the law. Doesn't matter what it's for - he's on "double secret probation" - Goodell could have suspended him for his 1,973,217th strike. 

Sounds like he's not going to, but the crime wasn't fathering a child, it was failing to comply with a court order.  

Not sure why people don't get that.  
I'm not sure why people don't get there is a huge difference in how people view missing a court order deadline and child abuse.  It's not all that uncommon for court order deadlines to be missed and courts issuing arrest warrants.  This will be worked out and it isn't that big of a deal in comparison to abusing a child.

I'm not sure why people don't get there is a huge difference in how people view missing a court order deadline and child abuse.  It's not all that uncommon for court order deadlines to be missed and courts issuing arrest warrants.  This will be worked out and it isn't that big of a deal in comparison to abusing a child.
Um, what?

Please quote me saying this is anything like child abuse. I have no idea what you're referring to or why you'd quote me with something unrelated to anything I said.

:confused:

This is purely a guess on my part, but I think he ignored the courts requests and lost the child support hearing by default (pure speculation on my part). At that point a warrant can be issued, because he didn't pay and I assume the amount that he would have to pay by default would be sizable. Maybe he saw it as a cash grab and just thought it would go away. Hopefully he gets it cleared up either way.

Um, what?

Please quote me saying this is anything like child abuse. I have no idea what you're referring to or why you'd quote me with something unrelated to anything I said.

:confused:
You were referring to the Adrian Peterson suspension and suggesting this could or should lead to a suspension. I'm just pointing out child abuse and having a warrant are on two completely different levels.

Users who are viewing this thread