What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (3 Viewers)

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Josh Gordon may not play in the Patriots' third preseason game.

Gordon was conditionally reinstated but still has some hurdles to clear before he can practice and play in games. Even if he's cleared, it's a stretch that he'd be ready to go after an extended layoff. Gordon's preseason availability is up in the air, but he should be ready for Week 1.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Aug 17, 2019, 12:13 PM ET

I can’t quit you, Josh. ❤️
I own him in one league and I started building my team around the idea he wouldn't be around ever again. So the fact that he's actually playing and might have WR 2-3 upside has really improved the outlook of that team. Stacked at WR now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must be nice to be a complete @@@# up and STILL get to make a ton of money.  What a joke this bozo is still in the league. How many chances now?

The emergence of Jakobi Meyers on top of what Henry brings to the table muddies the waters for Gordon significantly.

I don't think we can presume Gordon is now the de facto WR2.
I don't think so. IMO, Edelman is their clear go to guy and Gordon their #2.  If healthy, Dorsett starts the season as their #3. Harry loses out with Gordon returning, especially being banged up and being a rookie. Meyers earns an apprentice role under Edelman (like Edelman was under Welker). Berrios might stick as a returner (or will end up on the practice squad). Thomas and Meredith on PUP. The local media thinks Harris might round out the WR corps, at least to start the season.

Generally speaking, the more someone plays in NE preseason games, the smaller their role will be. Meyers has looked good, but remember he's playing without Brady and with the 2's and 3's against defenders who may not even be in the league in a couple weeks. Also remember that the offensive calls are basically straight out of a middle school playbook and the defensive schemes are essentially man or zone and all vanilla. It's also hard to decipher how things shake out with so many guys banged up. If Meyers is the only guy suiting up every day in practice, of course he is going to see a lot of targets in practice.

As far as Gordon goes, I think as soon as he is in game shape and as long as he's healthy, he will go right back into the lineup. Maybe he will start on a snap count if he doesn't have his sea legs yet. Harry probably runs the routes and is used similar to Malcolm Mitchell. Dorsett gets a lot of snaps (initially) and starts ceding his role to whomever else flashes in practice. I would be surprised if Meyers sees a ton of playing time to start the season. Ultimately, I don't see BB using youngsters in key roles to start the season. He hasn't really done that in the past and mostly works them in slowly over time.

That's just my guess, as BB doesn't usually consult with me on roster management.

Patriots placed Josh Gordon on the active/NFI list.

Gordon has been reinstated, but the Patriots are putting him on the NFI list for the short-term while they make roster moves and get him acclimated with the team again. This shouldn't affect his Week 1 status. Last year, Gordon reached weekly WR2 status, but he remains a boom-or-bust fantasy asset.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Aug 18, 2019, 5:22 PM ET

" Much of Gordon's production came courtesy of slants and in-routes, which highlight the wideout's massive 6-foot-3, 225-pound frame and willingness to play physically. With New England combining Gordon's size with Brady's accuracy, the opposition's smaller, lighter defensive backs often found themselves in situations where they couldn't win, unable to go through Gordon or to work around him. The numbers don't lie: Brady was 11-of-15 for 145 yards when targeting Gordon on slants, and 8-of-9 for 198 yards and a TD on in-routes.

but you could see the imprint Gordon left on the team when it drafted another hulking pass catcher, former Arizona State WR N'Keal Harry, in the first round this year. That marked the first time the Pats spent a first-rounder on a wide receiver in the Belichick era, and at 6-4, 225 pounds, Harry is nearly a carbon copy of Gordon from a size perspective. Plus, Harry enters the league with a reputation as a terrific contested-catch maker, much like Gordon himself. New England also signed Demaryius Thomasin April, another big receiver at 6-3, 225 pounds. As of today, that makes the Patriots the only team in the league with three wide receivers that weigh 225 pounds or more, a shift from their normal approach at the position. Of course, there is only one Gordon, and the Pats are now seeing Flash in the flesh, which has to be a welcome sight for a team that has a chance to overpower defenses with the size of its pass catchers, even after losing Gronk to retirement in the offseason."

THIS.  How do you play them?  Who has 2 corners that can line up with them physically? 

Now I have to decide whether to keep gordon or a guy like dede westbrook in my dynasty league.  I was all set with westbrook and I guess this is a good problem to have...Gordon is still young at 28 and could have maybe 2-3 good years with the pats IF...IF he stays out of trouble.  I realize that's a big IF.  But IF he does, I think he is more valuable than Dede. 

Hairy Snowman said:
" Much of Gordon's production came courtesy of slants and in-routes, which highlight the wideout's massive 6-foot-3, 225-pound frame and willingness to play physically. With New England combining Gordon's size with Brady's accuracy, the opposition's smaller, lighter defensive backs often found themselves in situations where they couldn't win, unable to go through Gordon or to work around him. The numbers don't lie: Brady was 11-of-15 for 145 yards when targeting Gordon on slants, and 8-of-9 for 198 yards and a TD on in-routes.
All I remember was back shoulders.

Now I have to decide whether to keep gordon or a guy like dede westbrook in my dynasty league.  I was all set with westbrook and I guess this is a good problem to have...Gordon is still young at 28 and could have maybe 2-3 good years with the pats IF...IF he stays out of trouble.  I realize that's a big IF.  But IF he does, I think he is more valuable than Dede. 
I would keep Westbrook without hesitation; can you try and move Gordon at least for a little something back?

Rotoworld take:

Josh Gordon is in full pads at Sunday's practice.

This is an indication that Gordon was taken off the active/NFI list, which would be the final hurdle to Gordon suiting up for Week 1. Last year, Gordon emerged as a weekly WR2 option down the stretch after earning the trust of Tom Brady. Gordon, of course, has zero floor, but he needs to be viewed as an upside WR2/3 whenever he's on the active roster.

SOURCE: Phil Perry on Twitter

Aug 25, 2019, 2:49 PM ET

6.06 in an IDP draft (live) a few mins ago.  Adjust ADP for 4x IDP players taken in the 5th/6th.  :shrug:

Taken as his WR2 (1.07 Julio Jones) 

Patriots activated Josh Gordon from the active/NFI list.

It's go time. This was the last major hurdle for Gordon to play Week 1, so all he needs to do is practice for the next two weeks, which is something he did on Sunday afternoon. Gordon's return is huge news for Tom Brady and the Gronk-less Patriots because Gordon offers the most playmaking ability on the roster. Gordon was able to earn every-week WR2 status in fantasy last year and that could very well be the case in 2019, too. As always, Gordon carries as much risk as any player in fantasy.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Aug 25, 2019, 4:57 PM ET

Rotoworld take:
This says a lot on Gordon's fitness and conditioning level.  He must have had training like crazy during offseason.  Shame on being suspended throughout the training camp when he could had practice reps with Tom Brady.  

Way high for me. Just couldn't bring myself to take him as anything more than a WR 4 with upside.
WR3 in the mid-6th with a huge run of WEs before him? I don’t mind the gamble. 

I got Lockett one pick before & like that way more, and Mike Williams went 2 picks after & I like him better too. 

But overall not a terrible pick.  :shrug:

in my .5 ppr dyno I have to choose bw keeping gordon and signing him to a contract (anywhere from 1-5 years my choice) at  a $20 price tag OR keep Anthony Miller at $10.  

My team otherwise is stacked and ready for a title run.  Am I crazy to keep Gordon and let miller walk in FA?  

So, we get it.  History says Gordon will regress.

History says a lot of things.
If only this was 2007. Moss came in and completely changed the receiving route trees and worked with Brady and the coaching staff to re-imagine the offense. He essentially quadrupled the play book. He sat down with Brady, McDaniels, and BB and explained to them the concept of in-play route adjustments based on what defenders were doing while a play was developing. He literally broke down game film and explained where the holes in the defense would be. I don't see Gordon having that level of impact on the offense. I don't see the 2013 version of Josh Gordon walking through the door.

Josh Gordon’s 2013 season:

• 3rd-of-94 WRs in yards per route run

• 55% catch rate

• 10.4 yards per target

• 111.8 QB rating when targeted

• 11.4 targets per game

Gordon with Patriots in 2018:

• 14th-of-96 in YPPR

• 59% catch rate

• 10.6 YPT

• 117.8 rating

• 6.2 T/G

He has topped 50 catches once in his life (2013.)

I don’t mean as a pro. That’s including his h.s. and college career.

Users who are viewing this thread