What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bump Ballard? (1 Viewer)

32 Counter Pass

Footballguy
The Colts drafted 1 RB, Kerwynn Williams in round 7. This seems to be an endorsement of Ballard as their clear #1 RB. Thoughts?

There are still some viable FAs out there, but yeah, I'd put the lack of any urgency at that position squarely in the "Let's take a 2nd look at Ballard" column.

I think the fact they didn't target a RB earlier doesn't show Ballard is the clear #1 as more of a sign that the Colts have other areas to address.

I don't see Ballard as a longer term answer.

I think most people don't give Ballard his due. He's in a very good (and rising) offense, and very little competition. He may not be a sexy name, but it seems he'll get the touches that many of us would want/hope in our starting FF RBs.

I really like Kerwynn as a sleeper in deep leagues. But yeah - Ballard's stock went up each round that the Colts didn't draft a RB. He's a very good fit for that scheme, and the team doesn't seem to be in a rush to upgrade.

I really like Kerwynn as a sleeper in deep leagues. But yeah - Ballard's stock went up each round that the Colts didn't draft a RB. He's a very good fit for that scheme, and the team doesn't seem to be in a rush to upgrade.
I was thinking the opposite actually. A better style of RB for that offense would be the back that can run it between the tackles butmore importantly catch it out of the backfield as their WR's will stretch the field (Hilton, DHB, Fleener, etc). Chuck is building a fast offense with a QB that can sling it.

Ballard would be solid short yardage or goaline back.

Ballard is a good receiver. With Bruce "WRs are paid to catch the ball, RBs are paid to run it" Arians out of town I think he'll be mid-range RB2 this year.

I think the fact they didn't target a RB earlier doesn't show Ballard is the clear #1 as more of a sign that the Colts have other areas to address.

Most people who see this as a bump are not viewing Ballard as the long term answer either. But he looks be an undisputed starter and that has plenty of fantasy value in the short term.

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion. But I still think Donald Brown will be at least split carries with Ballard. I actually believe that he may come out as the better option at RB from Indy. I believe if he can stay healthy, he can do more than Ballard.

If the Colts sign Bradshaw, then all bets are off.

The Colts are a team that had A LOT of needs for the coach to put his stamp on things on the defensive side of the ball.

Kerwynn Williams, IMO, is no joke in himself but what I really think will destroy Ballard's value is when, come June, you see that the Colts have signed Bradshaw or a guy like DWIL if he gets released. Either of those players would instantly put every other player on the back burner.

Ballard was serviceable. However, I dont think he is going to get more work than a healthy Donald Brown.

KCitons said:
I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion. But I still think Donald Brown will be at least split carries with Ballard. I actually believe that he may come out as the better option at RB from Indy. I believe if he can stay healthy, he can do more than Ballard.

Colts seem to be the last team for Bradshaw to have any fantasy relevance. Unless of course he goes somewhere cheap and all the guys in front of him get hurt.

Shutout said:
The Colts are a team that had A LOT of needs for the coach to put his stamp on things on the defensive side of the ball.

Kerwynn Williams, IMO, is no joke in himself but what I really think will destroy Ballard's value is when, come June, you see that the Colts have signed Bradshaw or a guy like DWIL if he gets released. Either of those players would instantly put every other player on the back burner.
Agree with the DeAngelo thought.

Looking at some of the other available Veteran Free Agent RB's, it's pretty slim pickins.

Beanie Wells, Ced Benson, Michael Turner, Felix Jones <------- injury, old or RBBC candidates only.

Peyton Hillis, Brandon Jacobs <--------- Bigger, Goal Line, Not 3 down backs.

Tim Hightower <------- Remember when he was the starter in Washington. (me neither) But, he's only 26 years old

Javon Ringer <-------- Remember when people were calling for the Titans start him over CJ0K (me neither) Also 26 years old

Kevin Smith <----------- Can't stay healthy, but he could be had cheap and has decent hands. But would he be better than Brown/Ballard? (also 26 years old)

Jalen Parmalee <------- FBG's golden child.

Maybe the Steelers cut Redman. That would be the only other RB I can think of right now. It looks like Bradshaw or it's the same as last year.

I have both Brown and Ballard in one league. From a measurables/expectations standpoint Brown KILLS what Ballard should be bringing to the table. But in games where both guys played, usually it was Ballard who had the better performance.

Sometimes folks (myself included) get hung up on draft profiles. At some point, you look at what is happening in actual games. Looks to me like Ballard can play. He is no Adrian Peterson, but he is better than he is being given credit for.

KCitons said:

Colts seem to be the last team for Bradshaw to have any fantasy relevance. Unless of course he goes somewhere cheap and all the guys in front of him get hurt.
If the Colts were planning to bring in a free agent, one would think they would have done so before the draft. And for what it is worth, Rotoworld in speculating on Bradshaw's future didn't even mention Indy as a possible landing spot.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4305/ahmad-bradshaw

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that free agent Ahmad Bradshaw has received full medical clearance for football activities.

Coming off another foot surgery, Bradshaw will be all set for OTAs if he can find a team. Clubs that didn't emerge from the draft with solid backup running backs and could still use one include the Buccaneers and Chargers. The Steelers and Packers are expected to end their previous Bradshaw pursuits after drafting Le'Veon Bell, Eddie Lacy, and Johnathan Franklin, respectively.

Apr 28 - 7:53 PM

Vick Ballard was a solid, although unspectacular running back for Mississippi Stare in the SEC and is a decent receiver. His jack of all trades skill set without the great Combine scores can provide value as a later round pick. Donald Brown, like others have said seems like he should do more, but then he doesn't.,

Last edited by a moderator:
KCitons said:

If the Colts were planning to bring in a free agent, one would think they would have done so before the draft. And for what it is worth, Rotoworld in speculating on Bradshaw's future didn't even mention Indy as a possible landing spot.

>

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com that free agent Ahmad Bradshaw has received full medical clearance for football activities.

Coming off another foot surgery, Bradshaw will be all set for OTAs if he can find a team. Clubs that didn't emerge from the draft with solid backup running backs and could still use one include the Buccaneers and Chargers. The Steelers and Packers are expected to end their previous Bradshaw pursuits after drafting Le'Veon Bell, Eddie Lacy, and Johnathan Franklin, respectively.

Same Rotoworld that had the Bills taking Nassib and the Jets taking Tavon Austin? I take everything written with a grain of salt. No one really knows. But, San Diego makes more sense than Tampa. You also have to think Bradshaw is looking for a place to possibly start. I don't see that happening in Tampa.

KCitons said:

>

Same Rotoworld that had the Bills taking Nassib and the Jets taking Tavon Austin? I take everything written with a grain of salt. No one really knows. But, San Diego makes more sense than Tampa. You also have to think Bradshaw is looking for a place to possibly start. I don't see that happening in Tampa.
A lot of mocks and the conventional wisdom seemed to have the Austin going to the Jets. And even taking it with a grain of salt, I give a little more weight to what Rotoworld says that an anonymous poster on this forum. :shrug:

Ballard was serviceable. However, I dont think he is going to get more work than a healthy Donald Brown.
What in Brown's history has given you that impression?
Most recently that he appeared to be there clear starter last season until he was injured. The previous year, when he was basically left for dead he outplayed Addai and Delone Carter. I have no problem letting go of Brown's draft profile, he just looks like a better player to me.

Johnny Bing said:

Why, because the media is hyping him?

Johnny Bing said:

Why, because the media is hyping him?
The media didn't play a factor in that comment. I don't think Ballard fits their system. A RB that would suite them better in my opinion is a RB that catches more balls out of the backfield. When you look at Ballard's college and NFL stats he is only pullingin 10, 11, 17, 20 balls a season. That is almost less than one reception a game. I agree that he is a serviceable back, and not bad at that, but a stronger receiving skill set would play better I feel.

I think once the Colts fill the more lacking positions, they will focus on a RB that has the ability to catch more balls out of the backfield as the rest of the defense will have to play back as the speed of the WR and Luck's passing ability will drop them back and open up the flats for a dump pass. Which as others have said, might be where this 7th round rookie comes into play.

Ballard is what he is - an average RB with a virtual lock on a starting job. Should be good for about 10 or so points a week in PPR.

KCitons said:

>

A lot of mocks and the conventional wisdom seemed to have the Austin going to the Jets. And even taking it with a grain of salt, I give a little more weight to what Rotoworld says that an anonymous poster on this forum. :shrug:
Fair enough. But remember, a lot of the anonymous posters in these message boards have gone on to be contributors for publications. (perhaps even for Rotoworld).

Ballard is what he is - an average RB with a virtual lock on a starting job. Should be good for about 10 or so points a week in PPR.
As a Ballard owner that's what I figure. But, I have been shopping him for awhile in one league and there doesn't seem to be any more interest in him now then there was before the draft. Either the other owners are waiting for free agency to completely shake out or they don't accept him as a legit starter - best offer I have gotten post draft is a straight up trade for DHB :X

KCitons said:

As I clicked on this thread I was thinking the same thing. Shouldn't count Donald Brown out. It is a contract year for him and he is a talented player. If he's healthy, he's going to do everything he can to make an impact.

With the Steelers drafted a RB, I was thinking Indy might be a landing spot for a FA. I know no one has been talking about anyone coming to Indy, but if a guy like Bradshaw was cheap, why wouldn't they? Even if it is just a one year contract, Bradshaw's gotta sign somewhere...

Ballard is what he is. If he's given the starting role, he'll be a Mid-RB2 by opportunity and the fact that he can catch some balls out of the backfield as well.

However, if they start giving Brown half the touches, than neither will be worth owning IMO. Either one is only worth owning if they are the bell-cow back there.

Williams and Bradshaw being signed would obviously change everything and put Brown and Ballard in no man's land with the signee being the undisputed #1.

Yeah pretty much. I don't care if Ballard starts all year, I think a few backups around the league will outscore him. Starter doesnt always equal good points. Especially when that starter is a pedestrian talent at best.

Yes, not drafting a RB does bump his value up, but ever so slightly. I didn't value him worth a crap before though, so now maybe he is worth a partial crap.

KCitons said:

>

Fair enough. But remember, a lot of the anonymous posters in these message boards have gone on to be contributors for publications. (perhaps even for Rotoworld).
Rotoword had my Browns trading up to pick 3 to get Geno Smith. Rotoworld is full of idiots just like most other news sites. And even if they were all geniuses, they would still get the majority of their speculation wrong.

I use common sense.

1- Ballard is nothing special whatsoever

2- they have no legit backup RB

3- Bradshaw is currently hands down the best available FA running back

4- Bradshaw is much better than Ballard

5- Common sense would tell me that the Colts would like to get a veteran RB that is a better talent than what they if, if one was available. Well, one is available, and his name is Ahmad Bradshaw

Would I bet money he goes to Indy??? No, but I sure as heck wouldnt be the least bit surprised.

What is rotoworlds reasoning for it not being a possibility exactly???

I agree Bradshaw would be an improvement over Ballard, but what does common sense tell you about AB's durability? ;)

Ballard doesn't jump off the screen when I watch him, but IIRC he averaged 6.0 ypc in the SEC his last year in college, which is something very few players do. I think he might be slightly underrated at this point. My early impression is that he will get a majority of the touches this coming year, making him a solid #2RB option.

Because RBs who are "nothing special" or do not "jump off the screen" do this all the time. Also, it was on a pass play for all the PPR'ers. Common sense still tells us that he is nothing special though, right?

You do not make plays like that because of Luck (Avoid the pun), you have talent. The head coach loves Ballard and thats good enough for me. Oh and the fact they didnt draft anyone, Brown really sucks, and Bradshaw will get hurt walking out of the locker room if he signs all point to Ballard being a sleeper.

I love how some users can sum up a guys career and talent up after just one season in the NFL, even after that player did not even really play in the first 5 games of a 16 game season. Its especially awesome when that user bashes Rotoworld for being a bunch of speculators when his #1 in a case against Ballard is about using common sense. lol

Because RBs who are "nothing special" or do not "jump off the screen" do this all the time. Also, it was on a pass play for all the PPR'ers. Common sense still tells us that he is nothing special though, right?

You do not make plays like that because of Luck (Avoid the pun), you have talent. The head coach loves Ballard and thats good enough for me. Oh and the fact they didnt draft anyone, Brown really sucks, and Bradshaw will get hurt walking out of the locker room if he signs all point to Ballard being a sleeper.

I love how some users can sum up a guys career and talent up after just one season in the NFL, even after that player did not even really play in the first 5 games of a 16 game season. Its especially awesome when that user bashes Rotoworld for being a bunch of speculators when his #1 in a case against Ballard is about using common sense. lol
:goodposting:

I didn't really watch Ballard enough to form an opinion on your point in general, but that play was nothing special. He catches a pass while standing in the flats, runs straight, and jumps into the endzone. I'm not really sure why the uploader titled it "defies gravity" as it wasn't really any abnormal leaping ability, but maybe that's why the video has a higher ratio of downvotes than most youtube videos.

I personally believe in Ballard and think he will be a solid fantasy performer. I have bought him in a lot of leagues.

I like Ballard a lot, though in the leagues I have him I'm holding on to Donald Brown, just in case.

If one YouTube clip is justification for an entire season, than this guy must be moving up your draft board.

I'm not saying Ballard is a bad RB, just that I think the Colts will look for a RB that can do more with the PPR. And one season isn't enough to gauge I agree, but in college Ballard wasn't much of a reception back per his stats.

But if he turns out to be the next Jamal Charles or Ray Rice than perfect. I have him in one of my leagues so I'll be please.

I didn't really watch Ballard enough to form an opinion on your point in general, but that play was nothing special. He catches a pass while standing in the flats, runs straight, and jumps into the endzone. I'm not really sure why the uploader titled it "defies gravity" as it wasn't really any abnormal leaping ability, but maybe that's why the video has a higher ratio of downvotes than most youtube videos.
LOL, I love how people can put a spin on any negative possible.

Did you really say that play was nothing special? Do you watch football, normally if you are here I assume a person does, but in this case since you say it was nothing special makes me question if you can even see.

Also, down votes? seriously? One could say it has to do with the quality of video, but that would not help your case, so I understand your spin.

The odd thing is, guaging trade value, a lot of people agree with you. But thats what makes sharks sharks I guess, finding the players who will perform that everyone else is down on for good value.

I'm a Ballard owner, and I've basically set my entire roster up for trade (in rebuild) and have had 0 interest in him. Personally I have liked what I have seen from him, but is he the next Ray Rice? I highly doubt it. His ceiling seems to be somewhere in the RB2 range, which I will happily take but 0 interest is kind of shocking. In a start 3RB league (10 team) with a possible 4th (flex) seems like someone would be chomping at the bit for a serviceable RB2.

I'm not really worried about what happens with Donald Brown or if they sign a vet b/c Ballard has proven himself to be worthy of the start in Indy, so even if Brown is healthy or they sign Bradshaw I still see Ballard getting 10-12 touches a game, maybe 40 yds and hopefully a TD sprinkled in.

I was basically offered D. Thomas (Mia) for Ballard in a 12 team dynasty.

I'll stick with the presumptive starter, thanks.
They didnt draft someone for a reason. They like the kid and will give him every chance to start and earn his keep. I heard on a TV interview he was always at the hospital when Pagano was getting treatment. I think there is something to that, also I believe him to be a talented back so maybe that is why he gets a full year this year.

People talking about scheme seem to forget that Pep Hamilton is big on the power-running game, which suits Ballard's style really well. Ballard himself has said that he feels more comfortable in the new offense as it's more like what he ran in college.

Yes Brown will get some carries, but Ballard is the presumed starter in an offense that suits him, and has vastly improved their offensive line since last year. He isn't the flashiest guy, but he'll get most of the load and will be a solid RB2 in most formats.

I do too. Despite the common belief, Brown played better last season when he played. And Bradshaw would blow the water off of both of them.

I have both Brown and Ballard in one league. From a measurables/expectations standpoint Brown KILLS what Ballard should be bringing to the table. But in games where both guys played, usually it was Ballard who had the better performance.

Sometimes folks (myself included) get hung up on draft profiles. At some point, you look at what is happening in actual games. Looks to me like Ballard can play. He is no Adrian Peterson, but he is better than he is being given credit for.
Is this true?

This game Brown was better http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20121007011

This one Brown was better: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20120923011

This one they sucked about equal: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20120916011

This one Brown was much better: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20120909003

This one Brown was better although Ballard found the EZ: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20121028010

This is the first one they both played where Ballard was markedly better: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=321118017

Ballard is better this one: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20121125011

And this one Ballard is better: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20121202008

It looks to me like Brown got hurt midseason and never regained form. Ballard took over. But you can't say that "every time they played in the same game Ballard was better." Actually, Brown played better 4 times, Ballard 3 and they both sucked equally 1 time.

And Bradshaw would blow the water off of both of them.
Would that mean they would become dry?
hahaha. Yes. High and dry as in 'sitting on the bench.'
Yes because Bradshaw is a stud and a fixture of health.

Funny, the Colts do not draft a RB early and virtually shows faith in Ballard. They dont like Ballard still. However, most assume and think they will sign a FA like Bradshaw, yet he is injured and still has not been signed or passed a physical, yet people love Bradshaw more than Ballard and think his value is higher.

Strange, no? Oh FBGers, I love it.

It shocks me that Ballard has started 10 games and has been in the league only one year, and yet people already know for certain he is nothing special and is not even treated as if he is a starting RB. lol Yet people are all over players like Mathews who has been in the league longer and has not been much better. Yes in PPR catching passes is important, but because he didnt do it much his rookie season with Arians as HC, does that mean he will not do it this year? Nope it doesnt.

And Bradshaw would blow the water off of both of them.
Would that mean they would become dry?
hahaha. Yes. High and dry as in 'sitting on the bench.'
Yes because Bradshaw is a stud and a fixture of health.

Funny, the Colts do not draft a RB early and virtually shows faith in Ballard. They dont like Ballard still. However, most assume and think they will sign a FA like Bradshaw, yet he is injured and still has not been signed or passed a physical, yet people love Bradshaw more than Ballard and think his value is higher.

Strange, no? Oh FBGers, I love it.

It shocks me that Ballard has started 10 games and has been in the league only one year, and yet people already know for certain he is nothing special and is not even treated as if he is a starting RB. lol Yet people are all over players like Mathews who has been in the league longer and has not been much better. Yes in PPR catching passes is important, but because he didnt do it much his rookie season with Arians as HC, does that mean he will not do it this year? Nope it doesnt.
He's average, that doesn't seem like something outrageous to say. It also doesn't preclude him from holding onto the starting job. Maybe he's good enough for what the Colts need out of a RB right now.

Users who are viewing this thread