What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Stipe: All-Time Ranking (1 Viewer)

Stipe

• All-Time Top Tier Frontman

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Really Great

Votes: 32 21.1%
  • Very Good

Votes: 46 30.3%
  • Okay

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Mumbler

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • Not Good

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Sucks

Votes: 10 6.6%

• Total voters
Voted Really Great... Could have gone Top Tier. He's right there on the cusp. The voice hurts him a touch but the personality/style/etc is all there. Not a Huge REM fan but it's impossible to deny Stipe's larger than life impact/persona.

Plus I love Tipsy's story about giving Stipe a ride from his restaurant in New Orleans :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stipe ranks higher on both the 'whiny bish' and the 'people who look like they have AIDS' lists than the all-time best singer list.

Pass. I never liked R.E.M. much, outside of a few songs, and Stipe's voice is a reason why; something about his delivery just got on my nerves.

I think his impact is as part of REM's overall sound and their impact on indie/alternative rock, which is considerable. I just find it difficult to separate him from the band.

Love early REM but Stipe easn't a great frontman. Almost was the anti-frontman. No one mumbled better between songs than Stipe, he was a mush mouth

SaintsInDome2006 said:
I think his impact is as part of REM's overall sound and their impact on indie/alternative rock, which is considerable. I just find it difficult to separate him from the band.
Was trying to figure out how to say this. This xbajillion

Was my favorite band growing up, then radio ruined it for me with "Stand" and "Shiney Happy People". :kicksrock:

Fables of the Reconstruction, Reckoning, Murmur, Lifes Rich Pageant were all genius, IMO.

I actually met Stipe in Athens (circus 1989). He's as weird as you think.
Saw them twice in the 80s; second time in '89 for Green. During one of the song breaks, he took the time to tell the crowd how much he hated Dallas. :lmao:

Got a few boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, liar, boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Stipe you have AIDS boooooooooooooooooos after that.

Who does that? "Alright, hey thanks Dallas. Say, you know, your city kind of sucks. Bores me to tears. Alright Peter, play the blues!"

My ex-girlfriend met him and said the exact same thing. Said Mike Mills or one of the other guys started apologizing for him nearly right away. Just spaced out and gone.

Who does that? "Alright, hey thanks Dallas. Say, you know, your city kind of sucks. Bores me to tears. Alright Peter, play the blues!"
:lmao:

[icon] said:
Voted Really Great... Could have gone Top Tier. He's right there on the cusp. The voice hurts him a touch but the personality/style/etc is all there. Not a Huge REM fan but it's impossible to deny Stipe's larger than life impact/persona.

Plus I love Tipsy's story about giving Stipe a ride from his restaurant in New Orleans :lol:
Exactly... I voted Top Frontman and I'm not a huge fan either. Can't deny it.

Plus I stood next to Stipe backstage at a small show in NY..... I had absolutely nothing to say.

I wish I said "I'm not really a fan of yours but, I can't deny you're good".

I went top tier....REM was insanely awesome and very influential, and Stipe was their singer. He's probably responsible for a lot of great bands that came after. Plus, Automatic is one of the best albums of all time.

soem people are evaluating this wrong IMO...

This isn't a rating of "how influential are REM" thing. Just because a guy sings for a great band doesn't automatically make him a great frontman

Saw them twice in the 80s; second time in '89 for Green. During one of the song breaks, he took the time to tell the crowd how much he hated Dallas. :lmao:

Got a few boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, liar, boooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Stipe you have AIDS boooooooooooooooooos after that.

That sounds like something John McCrea did during a Cake concert I went to in 1999. He got mad at the crowd for supposedly not singing along enough and started going on a big rant about guys with mustaches not singing. Hey, John! We came to hear you sing, not us. He even walked off stage threatening to cancel the show over it before finally coming back on stage 5 minutes later to finish the set. I still wonder if his song "Mustache Man" is about us.

Sorry for the tangent. REM! Woohoo!

dont really think of stipe as a frontman. frontman is russell westbrook. or starbury. rem is more like the hawks. stipe plays defense, put it that way.

Friend of mine rented him & his bf a loft about 12-14 years ago. She had been an agent for 2-3 years and started lining up $5K apartments for him to see. Her boss walked by and said "You don't get it. This is a celebrity. He's not looking for a deal. He wants to know his place cost as much as other rock stars." So she lined up a bunch of $10-20K places. At the last minute she found a mega loft in Soho, and after viewing, they picked that one. $22K / month, $40K commission to my friend. A week later his bookkeeper called from GA. She was sure they misplaced the decimal. Twice.

Friend of mine rented him & his bf a loft about 12-14 years ago. She had been an agent for 2-3 years and started lining up $5K apartments for him to see. Her boss walked by and said "You don't get it. This is a celebrity. He's not looking for a deal. He wants to know his place cost as much as other rock stars." So she lined up a bunch of $10-20K places. At the last minute she found a mega loft in Soho, and after viewing, they picked that one. $22K / month, $40K commission to my friend. A week later his bookkeeper called from GA. She was sure they misplaced the decimal. Twice.
sounds like somebody is embellishing.

sounds like somebody is embellishing.
Well if she was she made it plausible. Not like there weren't $20K rentals in 2001.

Meh

Too much of a blowhard for me to ever take seriously as a frontman.

He's pretty much a rubbish version of Bono

I was going to vote very good but his Dallas rant bumped him up to really great. REM is a pantheon band and it's impossible to imagine them with a different voice but A+ frontmen have to be more charismatic performers.

ETA: I think Stipe grew as a performer. I saw REM twice on their way up and he didn't seem comfortable on stage. By the time of the band's 2007 outstanding Live at the Olympia album, he was in his element.

I'm of the unpopular opinion that I celebrate REM's entire catalogue. My favorite songs are Fall on Me, The One I Love, and Don't go back to Rockville. So quasi older stuff. But I dig a ton of the Out of Time, Automatic, and Monster stuff. Try Not to Breathe! And Up is a very underrated album.

I have nothing to say about Stipe. Just wanted to defend all of REM's work.

Michael Stipe has claimed that he did not even write the whole lyric down, that he "just had a piece of paper with a few words. I sang it and I walked out." The following day, the hastily improvised take was deemed good enough and it was not re-recorded.[1] Peter Buck has gone even further to say that "it's exactly what was on his mind that day. It was real." Stipe has said at concerts that it is his favorite R.E.M. song.[2]

From wiki

Someone from the FFA turned me on to Country Feedback. Easily one of my favorite songs of all time. Incredibly powerful and beautiful

Michael Stipe is on par with the singer from Live.

What I'm saying is, he's extremely forgettable, but remembered every so often due to a few catchy hits.

Michael Stipe is on par with the singer from Live.

What I'm saying is, he's extremely forgettable, but remembered every so often due to a few catchy hits.
Ed Kowalczyk is a very good comparison, but I mean it in a less insulting way. I hate that Live is really only known for their hits. I feel Ed is pretty underrated as a songwriter. The same can be said about Michael Stipe. REM's lesser known songs are their best, IMO.

I was going to vote very good but his Dallas rant bumped him up to really great. REM is a pantheon band and it's impossible to imagine them with a different voice but A+ frontmen have to be more charismatic performers.

ETA: I think Stipe grew as a performer. I saw REM twice on their way up and he didn't seem comfortable on stage. By the time of the band's 2007 outstanding Live at the Olympia album, he was in his element.
That's a fantastic live album.

REM has such an incredible catalog of music. The older stuff seems to be objectively superior (I constantly shift between Murmur and Life's Rich Pageant as their best), but there is a lot to like later as well.

I've seen them only once, and it was well past their prime, circa 2003. By this point Stipe was painting his face and doing some weird glam performance art, but the music always shines through -- even when they are spewing politics between songs. A very capable Pete Yorn opened and it was like "who?"

Regret never seeing them. A few years back, they played a few miles from my house. Granted I had two 6-month olds, but still

Users who are viewing this thread