What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Music Thread. New Year, New Music. (1 Viewer)

Dendrons - Double Ending

Chicago Post Punk band infused with an 80s Au Pairs, #Gang Of Four type energy

Dendrons - Double Ending

I repped them on the last page referencing the same two bands

I've listened to Romero's debut album Turn It On! more than I probably should have. They're from Melbourne with a bit of early Blondie and Divinyls to them, except Romero's singer has more of a theater kid vibe than the more slutty public image of Debbie and Christina. I didn't dig the singer at first but I've come around and now think she fits the high energy and hook-a-minute Power Pop sound of the group.

Dendrons - Double Ending

I repped them on the last page referencing the same two bands

Yes, you did, sorry I missed it.

The Skinner Brothers - Mellow

🎶
Don't **** with my mellow 🎶

Literally released yesterday off a 5 song EP. I posted their song Lonedon a few weeks back.

Four piece band from London and probably my fave new group.

This just came out a few months ago, so I guess it's 2022 even though the album is 2021. I've plugged it in the hip hop thread, but it deserves its spot here.

Little Simz - Point and Kill

I do want I what I do what I like...

No idea if anyone here still listens to Death Cab for Cutie, but their new one came out last week and it is good. A few major standouts as always. Very consistent band. Their albums are always good, and you can always count on getting at least few major standouts. Seeing them in concert in three weeks.

Arcade State - Hard to Grow

🎶Oh uh oh oh oh🎶

Catchy tune that's not hard to grow on you.

London's Hi Vis have appropriated the soaring guitars, loose grooves and singalong choruses of early 90s UK bands like the Stone Roses. If they'd invented the sound, Hi Vis would really be something but as it is, they've still made a very listenable album.

Sister John – Young at Heart

Bananarama cover but making it their own. The Bluebells also covered it and was a UK hit after used in a TV commercial in early 90s

The Howlers - The Boy I Was Before

🎶 I know you’ve got
What I've been searching for
And you know, I’m not
The boy I was before🎶

London desert rock indie band with hints of Arctic Monkeys

Last edited:
Something for everyone tonight: new albums from RHCP, The 1975, Queensrÿche, Bill Callahan, Rundgren, Eno and Skid Row. Plus yet another one from King Gizzard and a Backstreet Boys Christmas LP.

I haven't been able to get into the new Broken Bells. There are lovely melodies and everything is artfully arranged as usual but I find myself zoning out on it. Everything is slow to mid tempo and Mercer's singing sounds kind of disengaged. The one time they pick up the tempo on "One Night" is the best Wang Chung song in decades.

I've been waiting for Spotify to add Herman Dune's "Not on Top" from 2005. I saw it on today's release radar and I was pumped.
Seems like he's reworked it a bit 17 years on; this version isn't as good as the original. But, better than nothing.

Since @Binky The Doormat doesn't frequent this thread, I'll take a shot at Todd Rundgren's new one Space Force. It's another collaborative album with a bunch of mostly B-list guests. The gimmick this time is Todd took incomplete songs from his guests, finished them and then recorded them as duets.

As you'd expect from the concept, it's an uneven album. Rundgren is generous with the microphone only singing lead on a few songs. I really only hated the ska song with Rivers Cuomo and l liked quite a few of the collaborations (Thomas Dolby, Neil Finn, The Lemon Twigs, some guy named Davey Lane). The Sparks song isn't anybody's best work but it's nice that they worked with Todd for the first time since their debut in 1971.

It's probably more interesting than essential but it's a fun listen. It's cool to hear an old hand like Rundgren record stuff with a 2022 Pop sound. His ears have always been his greatest asset.

The Mease - Long, Long Road

Some real tasty Pop/Psych/Rock from a Derby UK band.

A couple of rootsy side projects came out last week. Plains is a one-off collab between Katie Crutchfield of Waxahatchee and singer/songwriter Jess Wiliamson. Mightmare is a solo endeavor from Sarah/River Shook of Sarah Shook & the Disarmers.

The Mightmare album diverges more from the artist's usual sound. The synths and beats approach was kind of hit and miss with me but I dug the title track "Cruel Lies".

Plains sticks pretty closely to Country Rock with Crutchfield's songs tending to rock more than Williamson's more folky efforts. I wish they'd trade lead vocals on the same song once in a while but they harmonize together beautifully on the choruses.

I mostly like Gilla Band’s new album Most Normal. Irish post-punk/noise rock. A few songs are a bit much and the first time through will have you wondering if there are problems with your speakers. However, a number of the songs are quite good. My personal favorite is Post Ryan.

A couple of rootsy side projects came out last week. Plains is a one-off collab between Katie Crutchfield of Waxahatchee and singer/songwriter Jess Wiliamson. Mightmare is a solo endeavor from Sarah/River Shook of Sarah Shook & the Disarmers.

The Mightmare album diverges more from the artist's usual sound. The synths and beats approach was kind of hit and miss with me but I dug the title track "Cruel Lies".

Plains sticks pretty closely to Country Rock with Crutchfield's songs tending to rock more than Williamson's more folky efforts. I wish they'd trade lead vocals on the same song once in a while but they harmonize together beautifully on the choruses.

I loved the Plains album.

Hey kids, check this band out! Pulsating layered synth pop from Port Talbot, South Wales.

Vela Incident - Sometimes

Joe Adhemar - Tramp In St Tropez

I mostly like Gilla Band’s new album Most Normal. Irish post-punk/noise rock. A few songs are a bit much and the first time through will have you wondering if there are problems with your speakers. However, a number of the songs are quite good. My personal favorite is Post Ryan.

The thing about this post-punk revival is that nobody is going to sound as urgent as IDLES, as rich and as cleverly layered as Fontaines D.C., and as experimental as the original post-punkers. I do like this track, though. It reminds me of Scandinavian avant-garde dance duo The Knife and that "Full Of Fire" song that came out about a decade or so ago.

The thing about this post-punk revival is that nobody is going to sound as urgent as IDLES, as rich and as cleverly layered as Fontaines D.C., and as experimental as the original post-punkers. I do like this track, though. It reminds me of Scandinavian avant-garde dance duo The Knife and that "Full Of Fire" song that came out about a decade or so ago.

I’ll have to try out IDLES. I’ve heard a few songs but never did a deep dive.

I’ve been listening to several of these new post-punk bands recently. It started with the excellent Black Country, New Road album. That lead to the new black midi album (my album of the year — also containing my video of the year), and then some Squid, Fontaines DC, and a few others. I’m not sure these all sound “post punk” to me but the Internet seems to include them in the category. Whatever it is, I’m really enjoying it.

IDLES cover the monks. Off of one of their first EPs, doing forward-thinking blues.

IDLES on their first album, doing straight up punk

IDLES doing a more post-punky one

Ask Flop to guide you if you get into this. He's the expert.

IDLES cover the monks. Off of one of their first EPs, doing forward-thinking blues.

IDLES on their first album, doing straight up punk

IDLES doing a more post-punky one

Ask Flop to guide you if you get into this. He's the expert.
why don't you like IDLES? even rockaction likes IDLES. Mary Berry likes IDLES

why don't you like IDLES? even rockaction likes IDLES. Mary Berry likes IDLES

I'm worn out on UK bands that speak or shout their lyrics instead of singing them. They were kind of novel a few years ago but since then they've multiplied faster than Liz Truss' missteps.

I can barely do it anymore. IDLES is only a point of reference because I still drank back when that came out and it was good old aggression lining up and prospects aligning until they were simpatico with each other, you know. Now I only listen for the memories of the feeling of what was, if that makes any sense. It's quite odd, actually, to come across those songs, as I was so sodden back then that it evokes a weird feeling now. I can't really listen to it anymore and derive any of the pleasure.

I can barely do it anymore. IDLES is only a point of reference because I still drank back when that came out and it was good old aggression lining up and prospects aligning until they were simpatico with each other, you know. Now I only listen for the memories of the feeling of what was, if that makes any sense. It's quite odd, actually, to come across those songs, as I was so sodden back then that it evokes a weird feeling now. I can't really listen to it anymore and derive any of the pleasure.

I don't hate the sound per se and I think it can be great in four minute doses. It's just that there have been so many bands in such a short time. The UK churns trends quickly so this shall pass as long as it doesn't spawn a bunch of US post-punks with mumbly poets out front.

Users who are viewing this thread