What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Music Thread. New Year, New Music. (1 Viewer)

Ball Park Music are an Australian five piece who've been around for more than a decade. Their new album Weirder & Weirder isn't all that weird as far as music goes these days. 

Ball Park Music touches the Beatles, Kinks, Go-Betweens bases that a lot of bands have but they're adept at taking the familiar off in unexpected directions after the second verse.  The album's level of craft is very high without a duff song in the bunch.

Stars in my Eyes

Manny
Thanks for the heads up on this one---love it.

I want to love it, and it's pretty good, but not their best. I'm not sure a climate change-inspired album is what I was hoping for from the YYYs. But any YYYs is better than none, so I'll take it. 
it's not Maps or Rich levels for sure. 

but I'm loving it. if I had to imagine what a YYY+Perfume Genius album would sound like, this is it. big fan of both.

and tbh- had no idea about the climate change stuff. I just like the anthemic sound of the track.

it's not Maps or Rich levels for sure. 

but I'm loving it. if I had to imagine what a YYY+Perfume Genius album would sound like, this is it. big fan of both.

and tbh- had no idea about the climate change stuff. I just like the anthemic sound of the track.
I'm not really familiar with Perfume Genius, but the song sounds good, so I approve. 

As far as climate change, I didn't even mean to find it in meaning or anything; Karen O. says it right up front in the blurby interviews she was giving about the new song. So I'm not being contentious or reading too much into it -- it just is. I think the title of the album, "Cool It Down," which she claims was taken from a Velvet Underground song, might also have a double meaning. Or it might not. But the song definitely is about climate change. 

I'm not really familiar with Perfume Genius, but the song sounds good, so I approve. 

As far as climate change, I didn't even mean to find it in meaning or anything; Karen O. says it right up front in the blurby interviews she was giving about the new song. So I'm not being contentious or reading too much into it -- it just is. I think the title of the album, "Cool It Down," which she claims was taken from a Velvet Underground song, might also have a double meaning. Or it might not. But the song definitely is about climate change. 
I don't take any judgement pro or con if it's a climate change song or not, tbh. if it were written hokey, with hokey lyrics...then yeah- it would just be hokey.

somebody in the comments of the video posted these lyrics... which IMO can be understood in many different ways (for me, the sign of successful lyrics... but again, I'm not a lyrics guy).

Cowards! Here’s the sun So bow your heads In the absence of bombs Draw your breath Dark Dark places shall be none She’s melting houses of gold And the kids cry out We’re spitting off the edge of the world Out in the night Never had no chance Nowhere to hide Spitting off the edge of the world Out comes the sun Never had no chance Nowhere to run Mama what have you done I trace your steps In the darkness of one Am I what’s left Silver lines whisper to me Wounded arms must carry the load And the kids cry out We’re spitting off the edge of the world Out in the night Never had no chance Nowhere to hide Spitting off the edge of the world Nowhere to run Never had no chance Out comes the sun Spitting off the edge of the world Winds from the sky Never had no chance Will watch us rise

I don't take any judgement pro or con if it's a climate change song or not, tbh. if it were written hokey, with hokey lyrics...then yeah- it would just be hokey.
I feel the same way you do, actually. If you can write a good album or song about it, go ahead. 

here's the first song I heard from him... yikes, 2014. since then I generally immediately like and playlist tunes of his that pop up on spotify. I'm pretty sure he does gay iconic stuff... but again, I'm not a lyrics guy- I just dig the sound (not my usual guitar/post/garage stuff... more the self-important/anthemic/moody/can't place if it's happy/sad/uplifting/depressing category I've always been drawn to). and that tune, Queen, has a very similar feel to this YYY collab.

Weaker Signal is a NYC band from the Velvet Underground coaching tree with thick fuzzy guitar tones and ennui soaked vocals.  RIYL: The Brian Jonestown Massacre

A fast one

A slower one
Reminds a little, in a good way, of one of my favorite small Kiwi bands from a while back...The Shocking Pinks. Thanks for sharing them. They probably play across the street from us at the Mercury Lounge a lot.

CLAMMS (all-caps!) new single, Monday, is more like the controlled and produced punk/post of Bodega than their earlier unleashed guitar/feedback in a song like one of my favorites Liar. I love it, but prefer the older raucus stuff as this high pitch kind of 2 chord male/female chanty sped up Au-Pairs sing-song thing feels a little over done. Still a big fan though- one of my favorite bands going right now.

RR.

sigh.

also in the every week loop- A Place to Bury Strangers (remixes), The Wedding Present, Young Guv, random Hip Hop I don't like, The Beach Boys (I genuinely don't care about them... sorry, music nerds), The Clash (Combat Rock demos?), Dehd, The Dream Syndicate, GRMLN (tbf- he's making new music every hour or so, so fair game).

Spotify- ffs- please change it up. I mentioned in here and even googled new bands recommended in here that I actually like... I even search on your platform for them. why must you stick with all of these other releases every. single. week. 

ok... things of interest that are ACTUALLY new releases (at least to me and my RR playlist):

• Together Pangea
  • Preoccupations
  • Dry Cleaning
  • Meat Wave
  • La Luz
  • TV Priest
  • Sports Team

The new Grumpster album finally dropped today, they have been all over my RR for months and I have been digging what I heard. 

I'm at 15yo floppinhos school of rock show (Aerosmith vs GnR), and was talking to the school director about some of the alums floppinho used to play with pre-covid.

Turns out two of them (including the kid who played bass on most floppinhos drumming tunes), formed a band after HS that got signed and is doing really well...called Geese.

Dammit...listening now, and I'm sure I've already playlisted them. good stuff.

I'm at 15yo floppinhos school of rock show (Aerosmith vs GnR), and was talking to the school director about some of the alums floppinho used to play with pre-covid.

Turns out two of them (including the kid who played bass on most floppinhos drumming tunes), formed a band after HS that got signed and is doing really well...called Geese.

Dammit...listening now, and I'm sure I've already playlisted them. good stuff.
Yeah, they've been posted here and elsewhere several times by...

me. 

It's like you don't even read my posts.  :(

Must have been last year I wrote about them. Can't find them here.

Last edited by a moderator:
RR.

• Together Pangea
  • Preoccupations
  • Dry Cleaning
  • Meat Wave
  • La Luz
  • TV Priest
  • Sports Team
those were all decent, especially the Together Pangea.

other things I liked from it:

Dogger (this is kind of loungey vibe stuff with Jungle/Drum and Bass beats behind it... I'm loving hearing those beats make a come back- not the first artist I've heard wrapping them in lately).

JAWNY (they had me at all caps... with Beck. "take it back" is the single, and the single doesn't suck.)

JAWNY (they had me at all caps... with Beck. "take it back" is the single, and the single doesn't suck.)
I love the word jawn... I will have to check that jawn out.

P.S. I also love Together Pangea, why are they never in my RR?  (prob so taylor swift does not get bumped out :rolleyes: )

I love the word jawn... I will have to check that jawn out.

P.S. I also love Together Pangea, why are they never in my RR?  (prob so taylor swift does not get bumped out :rolleyes: )
JAWNY's other tunes are like 250mil listens? not sure what's going on there. all I know about jawn is quest love talking about it.

new RR. I won't bother with the obvious.

Jamie T

Spielbergs

Stereolab (? I assume a re-release/re-issue)

Gorillaz + Thundercat

:kicksrock:

jdoggydogg said:
Hi all,

Per an @El Floppo suggestion, I'm recommending a Nor Cal band called The Velvet Teen. Their music is pretty eclectic, so I recommend sampling several songs. It's kind of alt pop rock, but the musicianship is outstanding. YouTube only has three vids, but they have a lot of music on Bandcamp.
I had thought that video (which I love) you posted was a new tune... didn't realize it was more than a decade old.

I know you said you just saw them live- any idea if they have any new music?

El Floppo said:
I had thought that video (which I love) you posted was a new tune... didn't realize it was more than a decade old.

I know you said you just saw them live- any idea if they have any new music?
BandCamp and Spotify have Velvet Teen albums as recent as 2020 and 2015. The band did play a new song the other night, so that gives me hope there will be a new album soon. 

Weird Nightmare is a side project of Metz frontman Alex Edkins.  It's been a while since I've listened to Metz but Weird Nightmare is more melodic than I remember his main band to be. There's still lots of noisy guitars though. 

Some of the songs (although not really the one that I've linked) are giving off a Grant Hart's songs from major-label era Husker Du vibe if that's specific enough.

Searching For You

Users who are viewing this thread