What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Music Thread. New Year, New Music. (2 Viewers)

Release Radar actually worked for once... Couple of new tunes by The Beths  :wub: .  Good stuff.

This won't be everyone's cup of tea but Spotify's All New Indie playlist got me interested in Sun's Signature.  Very mellow but has a beautiful woman's voice front and center.  I thought it was the chick from Goldfrapp, but it turns out it's Elizabeth Fraser who was formerly in the Cocteau Twins and also did the vocals on Teardrop by Massive Attack. First new music in 13 years - and I thought I was lazy. 

Danger Mouse/Black Thought collaboration is a solid Old School Hip Hop album. The production sets it apart from the rapper's work with The Roots

It's really good. Not out-of-this-world good, but a solid hip hop album. I've been enjoying it. They put his vox through some sort of effect, though, and I think the record suffers from that decision. It wears on you after a bit.

Honeyglaze -
Shadows

Jangle pop from South London indie band.

Had never heard of McWeakerton before but my college kid was listening to them and it caught my ear. They have a new one out this year called Flora/Fauna.

This is an older one

This is from the new one

She's also into The Garden who as a new one out or coming out:

The new Tony Molina is like a hifi Guided by Voices EP if Bob Pollard were more influenced by the Beatles than The Who. Worth 18 minutes of your time. Maybe. Idfk.

New Spielbergs out today.
Giggity.

Not only that, but ..***ALERTS***

No Dead Can Dance this week! It started in November, and Lou Gehriged almost a year of "release radar" playlist.

New Jamie T kangaroo appropriation is good. New Streets I'm finding less so. New Oh Sees have him in his full nerdout metal/guitar mode, less psych

Gently Tender is a new band formed by members of The Palma Violets who were hyped in the UK as the next big thing about a decade ago. They weren't obviously but they were a good band with solid songs and a strong frontman.

As their name implies, Gently Tender doesn't rock as hard as the Violets but they still manage to roll through a bunch of mostly mid-tempo numbers that held my interest. It's a proper album with recurring interludes, a choir, strings and horns. Vocalist Sam Fryer still is a good singer but he now affects a Nick Cavish baritone croon and swaps leads and harmonies with a woman named Celia Archer. They're probably a little tame for some of you but I dug 'em.

True Colours (Sometime I'll Get Through)

The new Arctic Monkeys song is another heavily orchestrated ballad like their last album. Tranquility Base grew on me so maybe this one will too. They've been together as a band for half their lives so it's only natural for their sound to mature.

There’d Better Be A Mirrorball

If you miss the unbridled energy of the Monkeys' early stuff, The Reytons are another Sheffield band that's worth a listen. Their album came out late last year but the algorithm didn't tell me about it until recently. The Reytons sometimes come off like an Arctic Monkeys tribute act but they've got them down and are self-aware enough to namecheck Alex Turner on one of their songs. They lack the acidity of Turner's lyrics but present a reasonable facsimile of the Landfill Indie sound for UK kids who were too young the first time around.

Nothing To Declare

The new album is solid, but not terribly exciting. While it doesn't have any major clunkers like the last album did, there is nothing here nearly as good as the best songs from Everything Now. Considering it is their first album in five years, it's a bit of a bummer that this is the best stuff they came up with to release.
I mostly agree with this but 'The Lightning' is constantly bouncing around in my brain, total earworm.
The Lightning has held up for me as the biggest keeper from We, but Race and Religion has really grown on me, so I'd call that a keeper as well.

We'll see if Arcade Fire has anything left in them, however, as the news that came out a week ago could derail them permanently if too many fans bail on them.

The Roundlakes - Killing Smile

Throwback to Brit indie rock/pop that was mainstream in the 1990s.

The new album is solid, but not terribly exciting. While it doesn't have any major clunkers like the last album did, there is nothing here nearly as good as the best songs from Everything Now. Considering it is their first album in five years, it's a bit of a bummer that this is the best stuff they came up with to release.
I mostly agree with this but 'The Lightning' is constantly bouncing around in my brain, total earworm.
The Lightning has held up for me as the biggest keeper from We, but Race and Religion has really grown on me, so I'd call that a keeper as well.

We'll see if Arcade Fire has anything left in them, however, as the news that came out a week ago could derail them permanently if too many fans bail on them.
Can anyone keep it in their pants? And what am I doing wrong that mine is always in its pants and never asked out?

Chicago band Dendrons tap into the edgy energy of first wave Post Punk bands like Au Pairs and Gang of Four and a bunch of bands that followed. I've always been a sucker for multiple guitars so the interplay between the two (and sometimes three) guitarists makes the band interesting to me. Their self-titled debut from 2020 is probably a bit more consistent than their new one but they've taken a few more stylistic chances this time out.

Fat Dads - Taking Our Sweet Time

Fun jangly sing-along summertime tune.

And I always love Dogger/Liam Bailey combos. The drum and bass/jungle beats behind his voice never miss for me.

The Skinner Brothers - Lonedon

🎶 Living in my Lonedon
Lonedon
Lonedon
Lone Lone Lonedon 🎶

My RR set a new record by having not one, but two tracks on it in which the title of a song was the same as the band name. Neat!

ETA: The Halfpipes and August is Falling are the song/band names.

Oneida has been around for a long time but I can’t say I’ve spent much time on them. Their new one that came out a few weeks ago rocks. I don’t remember them sounding like this.

PG Ciarletta - Please Stay

Scottish-Italian indie singer with some jangle pop

The Persian Leaps - Alright Alright​

The Persian Leaps is an indie rock/power pop band from Saint Paul, Minnesota.

PG Ciarletta - Please Stay

Some jangle pop from a Scottish-Italian indie singer with a really nice voice.

Users who are viewing this thread