What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What happened to my rock wall? (1 Viewer)

What happened here?

• Car hit it

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Vandalism

Votes: 56 57.7%
  • Lightning strike

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Other

Votes: 30 30.9%

• Total voters

Otis

Footballguy
There are two large trees out on our front lawn. Around each one is a circular rock retaining wall, around 2 feet high, with a planting bed in the middle.

The other day I came out and saw this.

Basically, the retaining wall on one side was knocked down. It was a little bizarre. So here's a little mystery for the FFA mysternerds to solve.

The facts, in addition to the picture:

1. It can't just have fallen down. I know this because one of the rocks was thrown about 8 feet from the wall, towards the house, and was out in the middle of the lawn away from the rest. It either was sent there by impact, or someone threw it there. Also, the wall is apparently built with some kind of mortar (cement), and not just stacked.

2. The wall is about 10 feet from the curb.

3. There were no visible tire marks in the grass or on the curb, or any other evidence of a vehicle coming up onto the lawn.

4. We've only lived here less than a year, keep to ourselves, are good and quiet neighbors that nobody could hate yet. It seems like an odd target for vandalism, an odd way to vandalize, in a neighborhood that doesn't have much vandalism at all.

5. There was a violent thunderstorm around the time this happened. Some have speculated a lightning strike caused it. There are no signs of burn or other damage, including to the tree, and the nearby electrical (including the spotlight in that planting bed) are all working fine.

Oh, and just to be safe, we called the village police and they came by to take a look. They also didn't spot any evidence of a car, and were equally stumped as to what it could be.

What happened to my rock wall?

TIA

If you hadn't mentioned there were no tire tracks I would have said it looked like someone backed a big ol' truck up over the curb trying to turn around or something... spotted your tree as the limit to which he could back up... but didn't account for the rocks. No tire tracks perpendicular to the road either?

I'm struggling to understand how anyone could think lightning was the cause
Because they are farther away than if they were to of just fell. I have seen a chunk of concrete blown out by a piece of lightning about the size of half a brick. I suppose a large strike could do something like this.

My bet is a thief was taking them, but realized it was more difficult than perceived with the mortar. Maybe something startled them and they took off.

One of your neighbors has a similar tree. With a similar type of rock wall. Your neighbor, clearly knowing that rock wall is not up to the standards of such an elite neighborhood, decided to have it replaced with a handcrafted Italian marble wall with fountain.

The crew, flown in from Italy obviously, pulled in front of your house and started to demo the peasant wall. About 30 minutes after they started, the foreman who is from America pulled up, noticed the address in front of the tree, and very quickly let his men know in broken Italian that they were at the wrong address.

After sitting on the tailgate of the pickup for a moment sipping their espresso's and eating a pastry, they drove off quietly. To your neighbor with a similar wall.

Find the neighbor with a new handcrafted Italian marble wall with fountain, and you find your answer.

Pretty bizarre. Obviously not a car. I've worked a lot with stone borders like that, and I know that's a lot of weight just in that one pic. My best guess is some drunk idiot wanted free landscape stones, then gave up because of the weight. :shrug:
Why throw the one stone so far away?

If you hadn't mentioned there were no tire tracks I would have said it looked like someone backed a big ol' truck up over the curb trying to turn around or something... spotted your tree as the limit to which he could back up... but didn't account for the rocks. No tire tracks perpendicular to the road either?
No evidence of any cars or trucks. And there is a sidewalk between the curb and these trees. People don't typically drive up onto the curbs around here. Or onto other peoples' lawns.

I'm struggling to understand how anyone could think lightning was the cause
Because they are farther away than if they were to of just fell. I have seen a chunk of concrete blown out by a piece of lightning about the size of half a brick. I suppose a large strike could do something like this.

My bet is a thief was taking them, but realized it was more difficult than perceived with the mortar. Maybe something startled them and they took off.
They're pretty old and heavy rocks. Nothing special really. In the great hierarchy of rocks to steal, these would have to be way at the bottom.

One of your neighbors has a similar tree. With a similar type of rock wall. Your neighbor, clearly knowing that rock wall is not up to the standards of such an elite neighborhood, decided to have it replaced with a handcrafted Italian marble wall with fountain.

The crew, flown in from Italy obviously, pulled in front of your house and started to demo the peasant wall. About 30 minutes after they started, the foreman who is from America pulled up, noticed the address in front of the tree, and very quickly let his men know in broken Italian that they were at the wrong address.

After sitting on the tailgate of the pickup for a moment sipping their espresso's and eating a pastry, they drove off quietly. To your neighbor with a similar wall.

Find the neighbor with a new handcrafted Italian marble wall with fountain, and you find your answer.
Could be.

I think you are looking for an ex-con who is undoubtedly on his way to Mexico by now. I'd check the local grocery store to see if any baggers didn't show up for work.

is this a new clash of clans thread? rock walls should be replaced with black walls asap.
No this isn't a video game. And if it were a security wall, I would probably have upgraded it. I don't really like the ones we have there all that much. Been thinking about power washing them or something to spruce it up.

Righetti dance off was out of control
Looks like kids were playing with your rocks.....Vandalism - that is a stretch.
They would have to be like grown adults. Too heavy for "kids" imo.
Teenagers
Why though? Seems like a weird thing to vandalize and a weird way to vandalize it. Hey let's go over and take apart that stranger's rock garden?

I guess teenagers are stupid. But there have to be about a zillion cooler things to vandalize. It's almost like "hey let's go kick a tree."

The lightning strike that knocked out a chunk of concrete I was referring to, was under a basketball hoop. The lightning hit the hoop, and blew the chunknout underneath.

I suppose the lightning could have hit the tree, and did something similar underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread