What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LT2 should not be considered at #1 (1 Viewer)

As does RW
It boggles my mind how no one has mentioned RW's breakaway potential. :eek: I don't have the exat states offhand, but he certainly had many cases last year where be took a run or a pass to the house from quite a ways out. This is definitely more than than the one LT2 run of 75, and certainly more than Portis as well. If someone could come back me up with exact numbers, that'd be great.

1. Olandis Gary 1999: 276 att, 1159 yards, 4.2 y/c, 9 tdMike Anderson 2000: 297 att, 1487 yards, 5.0 y/c, 15 tdClinton Portis 2002: 273 att, 1508 yards, 5.5 y/c, 15 tdThe meaning of this? Is there a possibility that Clinton Portis is next in the run of one year Denver wonderbacks? Maybe, maybe not. But what it unquestionably shows is that Mike Shanahan is not going to stick with a guy just because he had a great year. If Portis struggles and someone else steps up, Portis will sit. LT is the franchise. He will play if healthy, period. That whole risk vs reward thing again.
a good point, but to counter:1. Gary & Anderson were not highly-drafted nor drafted to become the feature back. Portis was.; 2. Anderson & Gary tailed off bc they got hurt. Who knows what would have become of them have they never been injured?; and3. Anderson/Griffin is/are no more a threat to take carries than any other BU RB.But I will agree you have a v. good point that LT is the only show in town when it comes to the SD ground game. Only question is if you interpet that as a good thing or a bad thing. ;)

Yeah, but San Diego has David Boston now!I'm kidding. I could hear the fingers starting to hit the keyboards ready to blast me.Good point Mr. Stuart. However, Ricky and LT2 did put up the numbers they put up last year. We can't take those away and there really isn't a lot of reasons why they shouldn't put up similar numbers.
Ricky and LT put up numbers to be sure...but Ricky (6.4 PPG) and LT (7.4 PPG) were far, far away from being the top RB. In fact, Ricky was about as far away in PPG from Ahman Green as he was from Priest Holmes.One could argue that if Priest Holmes' mother and father never met, Ricky would have been the top RB in FF last year. His 324 FPs was the sixth highest total the past five years. However, I'd say the fact that he was so good on such a bad offense makes it more likely that it was a fluke, than anything.Williams and Tomlinson were both top five picks, both #5 IIRC. There's no question on their talent, I think they're both studs. However, I think they're goin to have problems scoring so many touchdowns again this year, and could easily drop back into the Curtis Martin type FF back--great NFL back, great yardage back, average TD back. It's just a hypothesis that I just now thought of, but there's little argument against history--the top RB in FF comes from the top scoring teams. The high powered offense. The explosive teams. They usually have a great QB too--Warner, Elway, Aikman were obviously playing like HOF QBs when their RBs were the best FF had to offer.Regarding Plummer(as you guys will hopefully read when my view of this is posted on the site), I find it downright silly to downgrade Portis RELATIVE TO Williams and Tomlinson, due to the QB situation. NO WAY a combo of Plummer/Beuerlein is appreciably worse than Fiedler/Brees, and I view the Plummer signing as an upgrade. Plummer could be great, which would help--if Plummer stinks, Beuerlein will play and he was better than Brian Griese anyway.

This is a great thread! Let me say that I have the second pick in a 10 team redraft. The guy at #1 loves Ricky so I am pretty sure he will take him with the first pick. That leaves me with my choice for the second pick. Tomlinson is the safest pick by far. I have Portis and Holmes in a dynasty league and I am still taking Tomlinson. My reasoning is that in Martyball the RB gets all the first looks. San Diego has a better "O" line this year and Boston will keep the safety's 's honest. I love Portis but with the addition of Jake there are just too many question marks for me to pass on LT to take Clinton.

yea, very good thread, its making me have to think.Ive got 3rd pick coming up, 1 pt per reception and rumor has it the 1st 2 will be holmes and Big Vick fan.I dont know what to do.I guess the things that scare me about LT and RW is the amount of carries from last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe people are trying to dissect Denver RB's/Coaches to make a case that Portis could be another Gary or Andersen. :eek: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: It takes a small amount of football knowledge, and the NAKED EYE, to EASILY see this is a much better back. I mean, I can appreciate the work or thought process that goes into it, but, come on. No Way. Guys, it's clear as day. The only thing more obvious than Porits' ability is how Shanny will use him -- like he did with his last stud, Davis. :football:

This is going to be a tough year for anyone picking from the first three. Wavering is going to be the name of that game and I'm waffling daily worse than a WMD apologist ( :P ). I've got the number 2 overall and I am completely confused as to who to take. LT2 is obviously a solid runner on a running offense with a running coach; very tough to everlook. His stats are holding out the notion that he will be one of THE guys for years to come. RW is attractive as his stats probably have one of the biggest chances of having a nice boost since Ray Lucas won't be around to take over during any injuries Fiedler might suffer. If you add stats more in keeping with his yearly averages for those games, assuming Griese can do a better job in spot duty, then you have a number 1 back for last year. Then you have Portis who blew everyone away with his ypc and stupedous moves on the field; he could really become a special player. Not to mention he also has a chance at a nice stat boost starting the whole season and not just 12 games and change. Skeletor makes me a bit nervous however with his talk of "plugging in a new 1500 yard back", but I have to consider that with a grain of salt as anyone who can put up those numbers starting for only a partial season can't be THAT easy to replace. Also, now that Priest seems to be healthy he has to be a consideration at the top since, when healthy, he is a concensus #1. The worst part about it is the guy picking number 1 ahead of me likes to shake things up and tends to go with his sleeper list rather than any concensus so it is possible that all of these guys will be available with the number 2. 3-4 guys to strongly consider for one spot. Very tough!

If we were talking Dynasty, I would agree, and, in fact, picked Portis #1 for the long term potential over LT2 and Ricky in a new Dynasty league.But a Redraft #1 HAS to perform as a 1st rounder, no matter what. And, this year, the odds of LT2 or Ricky underperforming their position, injury excluded, are a LOT less than Clinton's. There are too many questions about Denver this year to pull the trigger because of a YPC based on a shorter sample.
Even in a dynasty league LT has huge value. This is only his 3rd year. He may even be a better pick than Portis in a dynasty league. Why?1) Portis doesn't have a full year under his belt. He could be the next Chris Warren. If Denver's O falters, which will happen sooner or later (it happens to all NFL teams), then Portis could wind up being just a good back, and not a concensus #1 from year to year.2) LT is in a better system for a RB. It's not heads and shoulders better because Denver is a pretty RB friendly system as well, but Schottzy loves the run and Brees isn't going to put up Bledsoe like numbers and chuck 600+ attempts in a year. I don't know how many times Plummer will throw the ball, but I have a feeling it will be a lot more than Brees this year.3) With some questions on defense, SD's best defensive player just may be LT in terms of ball control. In order to keep opposing offenses off the field Marty will run-run-run.4) While SD is definitely a run first offense, Boston (if healthy and not suspended) will stretch the field and force D's to stay honest. Rod Smith, Easy Ed, and the kid will not be as imposing as Boston. Portis is going to see more guys in the box than he saw last year.After all that, I would be just as confident with identical teams except for one having LT and one having Portis. As long as the rest of my team was solid, either of these guys could lead me to the playoffs and win me a championship....

I'm just saying, if I had shown you LTs games and held them up against Portis's, you'd probably have to say Portis is the better NFL & FF RB.
No, I don't and looking at where they were drafted apparently most NFL scouts don't either.How many 1000 yd rushers have there been in Denver in the past 5 years?When's the last time San Diego EVER had a 1000 yd runner? Natrone?To correlate YPC directly to talent is ridiculous... Mike Anderson had a 5.1 YPC in his 2000 campaign, 0.6 more than Edgerrin James... You could have made the exact same statement comparing Anderson to James that you're doing with Portis and Tomlinson.

But I will agree you have a v. good point that LT is the only show in town when it comes to the SD ground game. Only question is if you interpet that as a good thing or a bad thing. ;)
No one seemed to think that Faulk or James circa 2000 or 2001 being an every down back was a bad thing, why should it be one now?

....and I view the Plummer signing as an upgrade. Plummer could be great, which would help--if Plummer stinks, Beuerlein will play and he was better than Brian Griese anyway.
The only way plummer is an upgrade is in his ability to improvise and scramble. The only way I see him succeeding in a WCO is if he can be a poor man's brett favre running and slinging the ball. If anything, I see a couple of bootlegs at the goaline stealing a couple of Portis's TDs.

No one seemed to think that Faulk or James circa 2000 or 2001 being an every down back was a bad thing, why should it be one now?
I'm talking more about being excessively fed the rock year in and year out. The more touches a guy has the more chances he has of getting injured. Optimally you want the guy who can get you the most production with the fewest number of touches.In order to led the league LT will need another 372 carries & 79 catches, and even that wasn't enough last year. I'd rather have Portis who managed to come in 4th -- one spot behind the beloved LT -- with 273 carries & 33 catches. So on 451 touches to Portis 306, LT managed a whopping 18 more fantasy points. I'll take the difference (which Portis could easily make up this year, but i'd still take it) if it meant that Portis would take 140 something fewer hits and expose himself to injury 140 fewer times.edge had 431 touches in 1999. he had 450 in 2000. i don't need to tell you what happened in 2001. faulk has tons of touches every year & is dinged up year in & year out.you obv. can't predict injuries, but you can play the odds.
To correlate YPC directly to talent is ridiculous... Mike Anderson had a 5.1 YPC in his 2000 campaign, 0.6 more than Edgerrin James... You could have made the exact same statement comparing Anderson to James that you're doing with Portis and Tomlinson.
a) i'm not comparing an UDFA to a top 3 RB. don't use extremes to try to make me look stupid. i do a fine job of that on my own.2) i'm not looking at yearly YPC, i'm looking at it per game. i'm not saying the fact that LT had a lot of games under 4.0ypc is a reason to drastically drop him, but when you are comparing him to a player like Portis who ran for over 5.0ypc in half his games, i'm not sure how can say it is meaningless???? portis is doing more with less touches. that is what i want.

Whew! Go to lunch at the 21 Club for a couple of hours and Tom goes and fans the flames of dissention! ;)

First, let me echo what others have said, tombonneau, I usually agree with a lot of what you say but in this case I feel compelled to point out a few flaws in your logic (as well as point out a few areas that I completely am in agreement with you), if I may.

1) LT doesn't have breakaway speed -- You've already admitted that such a statement was flawed. Not only did LT have a longer run than Portis last year, but he also had more 'big gains' as defined by Stats Inc (49 to 37). On a relative basis (i.e., big gains to total carries) it was almost dead even (CP = 1BG/7.4 carries, LT = 1BG/7.6 carries)

2) Emmitt, and is LT like Emmitt? -- It's interesting that you should bring Emmitt into the equation; especially as an example of why LT shouldn't be the number one pick. Emmitt Smith may have been a compiler in your eyes, but how is that a bad thing in fantasy football? Emmitt Smith is arguably the best fantasy running back of ALL TIME:

Seven straight years ranked in the top 10 fantasy RBs

Four years ranked #1 (in a row!)
Finished 7th or better in nine of his first ten years
Five straight years in the top 4 OVERALL (i.e., highest VBD)
Eight top 10 OVERALL fantasy finishes in his first ten yearsThis guy, along with Eric Dickerson, are the litmus tests by which all fantasy RBs should be judged.

And IN FACT, I'm not sure the stats bear out your contention that Emmitt was a compiler versus the other GREAT BACKS. Witness, of the sixteen RBs in NFL history with 10,000 or more rushing yards, Emmitt's 4.2 YPC ranks 8th.

And to put a final point on the Emmitt Smith aspect, LT has been quoted as saying that he patterns himself after Emmitt, and Emmitt has responded by saying that if any back in the league has a shot at breaking his record, he thinks it will be LT2.

3) That a higher YPC makes you more likely to finish at the top of the RB rankings -- There is no question that total production is correlated to YPC. Obviously a running back has two ways to increase his rushing yardage...get more carries and get more yards per carry. So clearly, all things being equal a RB with a higher YPC will finish higher. But it's only part of the equation. Will LT2 get another 370 carries? I don't expect as such, but it's not a foregone conclusion that he won't. On the flipside, what makes you think Portis will get a significantly higher number of carries this year? Even if you believe Portis will shoulder a 320+ carry workload, as Chase pointed out...there is absolutely no reason to believe that Portis will sustain his YPC with the added workload.

Another point re: YPC...who's to say LT cannot improve his YPC yet again this year? The line made huge strides last year, it's certainly not unreasonable that the line could improve again. There's also the presence of a new fullback, and the addition of Boston into the mix. Really not out of the realm of possibility.
The league's leading rusher does not typically have the best YPC (of 1,000 yard backs). It's happened just 5 times in the last 20 years:
2002 -- Leading rusher, Williams/ Highest YPC, Portis
2001 -- Leading rusher, Holmes/ Highest YPC, Faulk
2000 -- Leading rusher, Edge/ Highest YPC, Faulk
1999 -- Leading rusher, Edge/ Highest YPC, Faulk
1998 -- Leading rusher, TD/ Highest YPC, TD
1997 -- Leading rusher, Barry/ Highest YPC, Barry
1996 -- Leading rusher, Barry/ Highest YPC, Barry
1995 -- Leading rusher, Emmitt/ Highest YPC, Barry
1994 -- Leading rusher, Barry/ Highest YPC, Barry
1993 -- Leading rusher, Emmitt/ Highest YPC, Emmitt
1992 -- Leading rusher, Emmitt/ Highest YPC, Watters
1991 -- Leading rusher, Emmitt/ Highest YPC, Thurman Thomas
1990 -- Leading rusher, Barry/ Highest YPC, Brooks
1989 -- Leading rusher, Okoye :thumbup: / Highest YPC, Brooks
1988 -- Leading rusher, Dickerson/ Highest YPC, Ickey Woods :eek:
1987 -- STRIKE
1986 -- Leading rusher, Dickerson/ Highest YPC, Brooks
1985 -- Leading rusher, Marcus Allen/ Highest YPC, Stump Mitchell
1984 -- Leading rusher, Eric Dickerson/ Highest YPC, Sammy Winder
1983 -- Leading rusher, Dickerson/ Highest YPC, Tony Collins4) Focusing on rushing yards at the expense of receiving prowess/TD production -- Tombonneau's talk of YPC and explosiveness completely discounts the fact that rushing yards are but one of three key metrics for FANTASY PERFORMANCE. It's not just who is the most likely to rush for the most yards, it's also who scores the most and who are the most prolific receivers out of the backfield. To that end, Portis is at a disadvantage to LT and possibly Ricky. LT caught 79 balls last year and the team has talked about how he's worked on route running and will be lined up in the slot as a receiver (a la Faulk) some this year. Meanwhile Portis has not proven himself to be as good a receiver and MORE IMPORTANTLY, Shanahan's offense has never favored throwing to the RB a lot. Portis is a product of his system, and that system suggests he isn't going to be worked into the receiving game as adequately as LT2.

As to TD production, Portis clearly has the edge in the department in their early careers (Portis scored 15 TDs in 273 rushes, LT2 scored 14 in 372)...but remember that TD production is the most variable aspect of fantasy scoring, by a wide margin.To conclude, I'm not suggesting that LT2 should be a lock as the 1st overall pick, but it's absolute HYPERBOLE to suggest that he's not worthy of being in the hunt. He's clearly one of the most viable options along with a handful of other backs. I echo the others' sentiments that it's probably better to have a mid first round pick this year because of the depth at the top tier, but to many of the reasons tombonneau gave to dismiss arguably the best all around back in football simply don't hold much water from a historical context.

CHEERS! ;)

Wow I'm amazed at this thread. There's really no point in making statements about LT, because those that are arguing against him having HR speed, durability, yada yada, anything else you want to throw at him.....Have OBVIOUSLY no freakin clue about football. To simply put up stats and make an observation based on those, fails to take into account the entire team aspect. You know the offensive line, the fullback, the WR's, the QB......I'm pretty sure LT had the worst of the bunch.....Bleh....not worth my effort.

I'm not really understandig how so many people can right off Portis as a #1 pick so fast? :confused: I mean come on look at the #s he put up as the starter! :shock: If your not immpressed with that, than you simply can not be impressed. Not to mention Portis is the 1st featured back in Den. since.... guess who TD. Anyone remember what kinda #s he put up as the featured back out there. If I remember correctly they were right up there with the Emmits & Faulks of FF. Now I'm not tryin to say Portis is a better back than TD (he was probably one of the best I ever saw for a 2-3 yr. span), but lets think about this. Portis IMO has more tallent than Davis did and this is backed up by looking at what rounds each was drafted in. At the same time though Davis had a better supporting cast. Elway was there, better D and O-line and WRs were still young at that point. But still who's to say that Portis can't get better. Odds are he will improve in the 1890 tot yds and 17 TDs he put up last yr. He will get more touches this yr. So to say that Portis is not a #1 overall canidate. Is to say that LT and Ricky will out produce there #s from last yr., but most places I've looked don't predict this. I'm not really a Portis lover my self. As personally I will be happy to end up with any of the 3 seeing that IMO very little seperates them. My current rankings are Williams, Portis, LT2, and seeing that I have the 2nd pick in my draft, I will be happy no matter what. :P But I must say I know the 1st one gone will be Williams (my brother has 1st pick and loves the guy) so I get to choose between LT and Portis. As of right now I'd have to say it will be a draft day decision, cause the more I read the harder it is to make up my mind. :confused:

(Edit because I never covered the point I originally was attempting to make with my opening line. :D )One of the guys that's a regular at my house on Sundays is the biggest Ricky fan out there [period] He's drafted him in our auction league 2 years running and is currently trying to figure out how much he's going to have to spend to get him so that he can plot out the rest of his draft. I have 3 TV's set-up with the ticket and have seen just about every RW game for 2 years. IMO he is the purest RB in the game and last year showed some signs that he was catching the ball a little better than he did in NO.Owned LT his rookie year and one of my other buddies had him last year. I've seen just about everyone of his games as well. IMO he's just as good a RB as RW, but more exciting. With these 2 guys you've got immense talent and coaches that will stand behind them no matter what. The team is designed around them.I picked up Portis off of our FA pool last year (sounds like a guppy league, but we have strict roster guidelines that basically leaves plenty of talent out there). After having a poor draft last year, he carried my team to the playoffs almost sinle-handedly. I would love to have him on my team this year. The problem has been pointed out already: Shanahan. He firmly believes that it is his system that produces these monsters and rightly so condering the history in Denver. Any stumble by Portis and he's out and you're wondering what happened to your #1 pick.I've got the #1 pick a league this year. While I still haven't decided on my pick yet, it is a 2 dog race. I'm in 3 leagues this year, so the rules all run together at times, but I don't believe we get a point/rec here. That makes these 2 dead even in my book. So I guess the 3rd guy in the draft only has to sweat out one pick if he's hoping for CP.

It's just a hypothesis that I just now thought of, but there's little argument against history--the top RB in FF comes from the top scoring teams. The high powered offense. The explosive teams. They usually have a great QB too--Warner, Elway, Aikman were obviously playing like HOF QBs when their RBs were the best FF had to offer.
If we go with this theory that the #1 RB will be from an elite offense, who are the canidates?RW? Not enough offense. No other real offensive support. Will be hard pressed to get 383 carries again.LT? Boston will help, but still not a lot of scoring and certainly not at an elite level. Like RW, will be lucky to get the number of touches he got last year.Portis? Has more other offensive threats than the RW and LT, but Plummer/Smith/Sharpe/et al are good but not exceptional.Faulk? He's been #1 before, the Rams offense is still solid, and the Rams have an easy schedule. If he stays healthy and the Rams offense clicks, he could return to #1 again (personally, I don't think so).Holmes? Was #1 last year, is in a potent offense, but there are no other huge offensive players in KC (partly because Holmes was such a big piece of the offense). Gonzalez is still a great TE, but his numbers are nowhere near what they once were.Deuce? There are other weapons in N.O. provided Brooks' shoulder is healthy. Based on other offensive threats, I'd rate him higher than LT/RW. Still, his schedule is tough.Alexander? Based on the criteria, Alexander may be the most likely candidate. If Hasselbeck picks up where he left off, the Seahawks could have the strongest offenses in the league. With two 1,000 yard receivers, Alexander probably has the same support as Faulk does. And he has proven he can score a lot of TD.James? I know he is not normally included in the "Big 7" in the first tier of RB, but he does seem to meet the "big offense" and HOF support label. Manning and Harrison are consistently top producers. Based on the grading criteria only, James has to be included.Based on supporting offensive players ONLY, I would rate them:FaulkAlexanderJamesDeuceHolmesPortisLTRW

As MT pointed out though, top RBs come from top offenses. Emmit had the best offensive line in maybe 20 years, a HOF QB, a Pro-Bowl WR & TE and a great DEF. He was just another cog in a great offensive machine. If LT had been on that team he would have been unstoppable.But he's on the Chargers.And obv. JW you are right in that I neglected receiving, this whole thing just stemmed from me looking at YPC on a GAME-BY-GAME basis -- not annual -- and I was shocked at how many pedistrian games LT had vs. Portis disgustingly impressive ones. There are a million factors that go into a RBs success, you can't just point to one, any idiot -- even me -- knows that. If there were some magic forumula that spat out who would be the top RB every year, we wouldn't be here.But nothing will change my opinion that LT will need a massive amount of touches to be the #1 RB. Portis will not. I will opt for the latter.Of course LT's line could turn all-pro, DEN's could go to ####, and LT could be a 6.0ypc back next year. We don't know.

Portis, LT, Williams, Faulk and Priest (if healthy) could all be the #1 performer in FFL leagues this year, but let me point out one little unmentioned detail:Williams (#1 on my board) sees the Patriots, Eagles (ouch) and the Bills in Buffalo (ouch) in my playoffs.LT (#2) gets the Detroit Kittycats, Packers and Steelers in Pittsburgh (big ouch)Faulk (#3) gets the Browns, Seahawks and BengalsPortis faces the Chiefs, Browns and Colts in weeks 14 to 16I have to pick no lower than 3rd to get someone who will perform through the playoffs (no one seems to be picking Faulk at #1). I don't care who will be the best FFL RB this year. I want the guy who will win me a championship.This message is written with the assumption that Priest is not 100%. I take him if he is there and 100% because the Chiefs have a cakewalk in the FFL playoffs, facing the Lions and Vikings in weeks 15-16.

I'm talking more about being excessively fed the rock year in and year out. The more touches a guy has the more chances he has of getting injured. Optimally you want the guy who can get you the most production with the fewest number of touches.a) i'm not comparing an UDFA to a top 3 RB. don't use extremes to try to make me look stupid. i do a fine job of that on my own.2) i'm not looking at yearly YPC, i'm looking at it per game. i'm not saying the fact that LT had a lot of games under 4.0ypc is a reason to drastically drop him, but when you are comparing him to a player like Portis who ran for over 5.0ypc in half his games, i'm not sure how can say it is meaningless???? portis is doing more with less touches. that is what i want.
First of all, I'm willing to bet money that Portis won't average 5+ YPC for the season again. You also forget that talent-wise offensively, San Diego has gotten much better this season, whereas Denver has pretty much stood pat AT BEST.What's the big deal with ANderson being an UDFA? Davis was a 6th rounder and you called him a stud. And according to standard scoring, Portis was not a top 3 back last season... a little objectivity would lend you more credibility.I don't see why you're making such a big deal about the per game YPC. Tomlinson had 6 games of 5+ YPC. Portis had 8. THe fact that Denver was 4th in the league in run D and San Diego was 11th and that they had to play each other twice, makes the difference pretty negligible IMO. The great thing about portis is that since he is on a good passing team is that he rarely faced 8 man fronts. To conclude he's the "better" NFL RB is a reach.

While Portis at #1 is not a stretch for me at all, too say that LT2 should not even be considered is laughable.

One could argue that if Priest Holmes' mother and father never met, Ricky would have been the top RB in FF last year. His 324 FPs was the sixth highest total the past five years. However, I'd say the fact that he was so good on such a bad offense makes it more likely that it was a fluke, than anything.
Chase, I hate when you make me do this, but I have to pull out the BS meter here. There's a hall of famer, and pretty good RB named Walter Payton who never played on a "great" offense, but still manage to hold the career record rushing until last year. Put the homerism aside. I think the Dolphin O should be better based on 2 things: 1)Year 2 with Norv's system and 2) A better backup QB than Lucas....As for this debate, I agree with all the above comments about depth in the draft. My top 4 today are LT, RW, Faulk, and Portis. LT is one because he was great with a mediocre line last year, and should improve. Rw 2 because Jaime Nails hasn't lined up to play Guard again just yet. Marshall for the O line in St. Lou and his last 6 game schedule, and finally ClinPor for his PO-tential. Second year backs are something to be concerned about. Second year backs crying about their contract with aging/new starters at the skill positions worry me a bit more. That's why Portis falls to 4 in my rankings.Gator

Unless you have or still have a chance at getting the #1 or the #2 pick in your draft it doesn't matter how you rank these guys. If you are at the #9 spot you aren't getting any of them. If your at the #4 spot your still not getting either of them. Wait maybe if your at the #4 spot, but only 1 should have a chance of falling to you and then its a no brainer.I know everyone likes to rank every player, heck I still do and I know my draft spot is the 9th in a 12 team league. So how I rank LT2, RW, CP, MF, PH, and DM really doesn't matter. Now if one of them miraculously falls to me I'll pick them, but they wont. But whether you rank CP over LT2 or RW should only affect about 10-15% of the FF population. Its what you do in the round 2 and after thats important.

What's the big deal with ANderson being an UDFA? Davis was a 6th rounder and you called him a stud. And according to standard scoring, Portis was not a top 3 back last season... a little objectivity would lend you more credibility.
you said:
To correlate YPC directly to talent is ridiculous... Mike Anderson had a 5.1 YPC in his 2000 campaign, 0.6 more than Edgerrin James... You could have made the exact same statement comparing Anderson to James that you're doing with Portis and Tomlinson.
i said: MY BOLDS

a) i'm not comparing an UDFA [anderson] to a top 3 RB [edge]. don't use extremes to try to make me look stupid. i do a fine job of that on my own.
sorry if it was unclear.i'm still waiting for someone to address this fact......

In order to led the league LT will need another 372 carries & 79 catches, and even that wasn't enough last year. I'd rather have Portis who managed to come in 4th -- one spot behind the beloved LT -- with 273 carries & 33 catches.

So on 451 touches to Portis 306, LT managed a whopping 18 more fantasy points.
as to my bold assertion that LT should not be considred #1, headlines move papers. i just wanted to get a healthy discussion going. :thumbup:

Great thread. Count me on the list of those who would take Portis before Tomlinson. The debate really comes down to consistency vs. potential. Much like picking a stock or a girl. I am in the minority but I think Portis' upside is higher than Tomlinson's. Tomlinson has had two fantastic years in a row but does he stand to improve upon them? I don't think so, I think he has shown us what we can expect from him in a good year 1500+ rushing yards, 500 or so receiving yards and 15 TDs. Excellent numbers.Portis had 12 starts last year as a 21 year old rookie and averaged 136 total yards (109 rushing and 27 receiving) per start to go with 16 TDs. Portis was not an accomplished receiver when he came to Denver but I think you'll see him more involved in the passing game this year. Especially with Denver coaches encouraging Plummer to take fewer gambles downfield. You also hear Portis say that early on he was so worried about holding onto the ball that he left alot of yards on the field. I think you can expect improved receiving numbers out of Portis as well as more long TDs. The only question may be durability, can his frame stand the punishment of a 16 game season. That is where the consistency vs. potential debate exists. I think he can and would be willing to bet the 1st pick on it.

But whether you rank CP over LT2 or RW should only affect about 10-15% of the FF population. Its what you do in the round 2 and after thats important.
Good point. :thumbup: But, I'm here because we do our "post positions" tonight.Intoxicating.I want #4...

sorry if it was unclear.i'm still waiting for someone to address this fact......
You yourself called Davis (6th rounder) a stud, yet it's somehow 'ludicrous' to compare an UDFA (anderson) to a "top 3" back (portis)?How about comparing Holmes to Portis, is that ridiculous as well?

I am in the minority but I think Portis' upside is higher than Tomlinson's. Tomlinson has had two fantastic years in a row but does he stand to improve upon them? I don't think so, I think he has shown us what we can expect from him in a good year 1500+ rushing yards, 500 or so receiving yards and 15 TDs. Excellent numbers.the 1st pick on it.
I don't see why Tomlinson can't improve on those numbers. He did that last year with a first year QB and a very young O-Line (including two rookie starters) and a new Head Coach and offensive coordinator. Both Brees and the O-Line should get better with another year under their belt and they've added David Boston and Lorenzo Neal. I think his YPC should improve considerably this year.

i'm still waiting for someone to address this fact......

In order to led the league LT will need another 372 carries & 79 catches, and even that wasn't enough last year. I'd rather have Portis who managed to come in 4th -- one spot behind the beloved LT -- with 273 carries & 33 catches. So on 451 touches to Portis 306, LT managed a whopping 18 more fantasy points.
You're making the assumption that Portis will score the same number of TDs (unlikely IMO), have the same YPC, extremely unlikely IMO, and that LT will not improve one iota, extremely unlikely IMOso what fact do you want addressed?

You yourself called Davis (6th rounder) a stud, yet it's somehow 'ludicrous' to compare an UDFA (anderson) to a "top 3" back (portis)?
please stop. you are making my head hurt. i'm not even sure what you are arguing with me about at this point.just call me an idiot or something and move on.oh, but before you do i'd still like to see you address the point you continue to sidestep........

I don't see why Tomlinson can't improve on those numbers. He did that last year with a first year QB and a very young O-Line (including two rookie starters) and a new Head Coach and offensive coordinator. Both Brees and the O-Line should get better with another year under their belt and they've added David Boston and Lorenzo Neal. I think his YPC should improve considerably this year.
Says the man with the tomlinson avatar........ ;)switz.....
You're making the assumption that Portis will score the same number of TDs (unlikely IMO),
How is it unlikely he will score LESS TDs staring MORE games???
have the same YPC, extremely unlikely IMO
this i'd agree with more. still, he's shown nothing & nothing has happened in DEN (plummer being decrease, improvement, lateral, is another debate) to indicate his YPC should drop significantly. you're assuming just as much as me.
and that LT will not improve one iota, extremely unlikely IMO
well you are basically making the opposite assumptions of me but that is OK??? it is extremely unlikely that LT will not improve on 370 carries and 79 catches? i don't think it is.

I am in the minority but I think Portis' upside is higher than Tomlinson's. Tomlinson has had two fantastic years in a row but does he stand to improve upon them? I don't think so,
Emmitt had 11 and 12 TDs his first 2 years, I guess you could have said the same about him and not having big TD #s, etc. etc.... until he put up 18 , 21, and 25 TDs in the next 4 years.The people that think Tomlinson has already hit his ceiling must think the San Diego offense is incapable of improving and that the Denver offense will always be good. It'd help to use a little foresight every now and then.Think about it, if Denver had signed Boston and Neal, and SD got plummer instead I'm sure the portis-lovers would be up in arms all over this board...

Another point re: YPC...who's to say LT cannot improve his YPC yet again this year?
If anyone will offer even odds, I'll happily bet that LT will improve his YPC this season. You should see an entirely different Charger offense with more 3-WR sets (taking a linebacker out of the box), and you should see defenses playing further off the ball against the Chargers in general. Also, Lorenzo Neal can clear a linebacker out of the hole a lot better than McCrary could.

Emmitt had 11 and 12 TDs his first 2 years, I guess you could have said the same about him and not having big TD #s, etc. etc.... until he put up 18 , 21, and 25 TDs in the next 4 years.
Maybe when Tomlinson's Chargers play in their first playoff game we can start comparing him to Emmitt.

please stop. you are making my head hurt. i'm not even sure what you are arguing with me about at this point.just call me an idiot or something and move on.oh, but before you do i'd still like to see you address the point you continue to sidestep........
I misread your post and mistook Edge for portis.Regardless, why is comparing Anderson (UDFA) to Edge (top 3 back) an "extreme"? How does it NOT apply to your comparison?

well you are basically making the opposite assumptions of me but that is OK??? it is extremely unlikely that LT will not improve on 370 carries and 79 catches? i don't think it is.
I would actually expect LT to get over 100 receptions this year. Everything I hear from SD says they want to spread him out in certain situations, get him more involved in the passing game downfield, etc.Carries, I expect to be about the same.YPC I expect to dramatically increase.I would not at all be surprised if Portis ended the seaosn as the #1 back, but I would equally benot surprised if LT did.As for Portis - anyone remember Corey Dillon and Shaun Alexander? Just because Portis excelled in 12 games last year does not mean he'll improve on those numbers this year. It IS possible to have your TDs drop while playing more. It IS possible to have your YPC drop while playing more.Hey I have both on my dynasty team, so I'm pretty happy, but the premise of this post is what I disagree with.

Some thought Mike Shanahan was blowing smoke when he ripped into Clinton Portis and suggested another back would rush for 1,500 yards if Portis threatened a holdout. If Denver' recent mini-camp is an indication, Shanahan knows he may have another diamond in the rough. Quentin Griffin may be the smallest player on the field, but he came up with some big-time moves. ...But it also gives Shanahan ammunition to keep Portis quiet, after the 2002 Offensive Rookie of the Year mouthed off that he deserved a big raise. Offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak said the players are excited to see what Griffin can do, just as they were with Portis when he started turning heads last year. http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/DEN/6444782
Your not going to find talk like this in San Diego. Whatsmore, I know I read somewhere about giving Anderson carries at the goalline, if anyone has the link please post it. If Portis loses goalline touches he's a dead duck because most of his points came off TDs. Therein lies his problem, Portis's numbers last year were rather 1 dimensional compared to RW and LT. If his tds fall off its a disaster.

Regardless, why is comparing Anderson (UDFA) to Edge (top 3 back) an "extreme"? How does it NOT apply to your comparison?
it doesnt apply to my comparision bc i was looking at their per-game ypc not end of year. regardless, as far as comparing the players, anderson was an unknown who wasn't drafted who produced for one year when a series of injuries benefited him. at the time he was running behind the best O-line in football on one of the NFL's better offenses. saying he is a better RB than edge (who was a top 3 pick and performed like it out of the gate and played on one of the leagues best offenses) simply bc he had a slightly higher YPC is different from me comparing via game-to-game YPC a Day 1 RB who was drafted to become the starter to another top 3 RB.but i'm really through commenting on that. it honestly is making my tiny brain hurt.

If Portis loses goalline touches he's a dead duck because most of his points came off TDs. Therein lies his problem, Portis's numbers last year were rather 1 dimensional compared to RW and LT. If his tds fall off its a disaster.
1. Portis was an extremely effective GL runner converting 44% of his carries inside the 10 into TDs, 2nd only to Priest. I'm not sure why they would pull him. But obv. it would be bad if they did.2. Portis averaged more ypc than ricky & lt and scored about the same TDs as them, so wouldn't his game be LESS dependent on scoring TDs? But if any top back saw a steep decrease in TDs it would obviously affect his game.But i think Portis is in much better shape than the other two if his TDs tail off simply bc he was a yardage monster when he got the ball.

I don't have time to read this whole thing.Let's just say that I have TWO RBs ranked higher than Portis, LT2, and Ricky, and I feel 100% confident drafting either one.

LT's numbers for his first two years match up quite nice with Emmitt's. At this point, Emmitt had 1 playoff victory under his belt and he was still a few years away from a 20td season.

But i think Portis is in much better shape than the other two if his TDs tail off simply bc he was a yardage monster when he got the ball.
Whoa-LT and Ricky both had 2000+ yard seasons. Inherently that makes hem yardage monsters.How long is your memory. Don't you remember everyone saying this same thing about Alexander last year?

I don't have time to read this whole thing.Let's just say that I have TWO RBs ranked higher than Portis, LT2, and Ricky, and I feel 100% confident drafting either one.
Two ahead of the concensus top-3?Unlucky, how could not divulge who they are?Please humor us... Faulk & Holmes? Older than their shelf life allows for top performanceMcAllister - maybe ifhe didn't get dinged all the timeEdge - I'll buy it, but most won'tcome on - share the wealth

Lt is #1 on my auction board! :thumbup:Here's my top 5 Rb's and point projections for my league:#1 Tomlinson- 604.4#2 Williams- 586.2#3 Faulk- 577.2#4 Holmes- 560.0#5 Portis- 530.0

Users who are viewing this thread