What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Little Melvin can't be exposed to peanuts (1 Viewer)

Wow. I'll take "threads I wish I hadn't opened" for $1,000, Alex. I've seen this thread bouncing around like an 800-lb gorilla, and I imagined that it was a fairly polarizing and heated issue. I have seen both viewpoints, and both are unfortunate.

Viewpoint #1: I worked on an event in NYC for the Food Allergy Network (FAN) about 8-9 years ago; my agency's job was to raise publicity for the event and handle the media the night of the event. When we were first hired in the planning phase for the event, we noticed three things that could be a problem for the purposes of publicity:

1) It was being held on a Tuesday night.

2) It was being held at Chelsea Piers (waaaaaaaaaaaaay downtown)

3) There were no celebrities attending.

This is basically how the conversation went:

Us: "Look, no press is going to want to travel down to Chelsea Piers on a Tuesday night, if there are no celebrities attending."

Them: "We don't think you're taking this cause seriously enough."

Us: "You're preaching to the choir here, but there are dozens and dozens of events in town every night, and half of them are fundraisers or cause-related. If you do this on that night, in that location, with no celebrities, you will get NO press."

Them: "Look, just do what we say. It'll work out."

We did it their way - it was an absolutely gorgeous event, and absolutely zero press showed up. Big argument over payment ensued, etc. I dealt with so many irate phone calls (from one person in particular), that I am, to this day, pretty much polarized against that organization. (As a side note, a co-worker bought me a big Mr. Peanut and mounted it to my desk the day after the event. Good times.)

FAN is, in my experience, a great cause that handles itself absolutely tragically as far as PR goes. My first viewpoint is basically, "Sorry about your kid, but don't TELL ME what to feed my child or make me feel like a criminal because I didn't check their freakin' lip balm for peanut oil. #### you!" You want to raise awareness? Fine. I have absolutely no issue with that...and I'll be HAPPY to help. Just don't make me feel like your child's condition is my responsibility, you self-righteous, pigheaded, obnoxious dragon lady." (Sorry - flashback.)

Anyway...viewpoint #2.

As fate apparently has a sense of irony, a good friend of mine from college now has two yongsters with food allergies...one is severe...specifically to peanuts. They're the nicest, most well-behaved kids in the world. I look at them, and then at my son, and wonder...what if MY son had food allergies? How would I feel? Viewpoint #2 basically goes like this: "Don't tell ME my kid shouldn't be in school. Can you help out a little and try to be aware of his allergy? Thanks. Oh...you're going to send peanut-butter sandwiches to school just to be spiteful? Fine. #### you. By the way...nobody in my family is allergic to Poison Ivy...so junior here is gonna roll around in the stuff...and then I'm sending him to school. Oh...your kid is allergic to Poison Ivy? Not my problem." (ETA: One of the friend's kids is in public school (allergies are manageable), the other isn't (it's life-threatening if he gets exposed to peanuts)).

Both of the "extreme" viewpoints tend to piss me off a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I'll take "threads I wish I hadn't opened" for $1,000, Alex. I've seen this thread bouncing around like an 800-lb gorilla, and I imagined that it was a fairly polarizing and heated issue. I have seen both viewpoints, and both are unfortunate.

Viewpoint #1: I worked on an event in NYC for the Food Allergy Network (FAN) about 8-9 years ago; my agency's job was to raise publicity for the event and handle the media the night of the event. When we were first hired in the planning phase for the event, we noticed three things that could be a problem for the purposes of publicity:

Us: "Look, no press is going to want to travel down to Chelsea Piers on a Tuesday night, if there are no celebrities attending."

Us: "You're preaching to the choir here, but there are dozens and dozens of events in town every night, and half of them are fundraisers or cause-related. If you do this on that night, in that location, with no celebrities, you will get NO press."

We did it their way - it was an absolutely gorgeous event, and absolutely zero press showed up. Big argument over payment ensued, etc. I dealt with so many irate phone calls (from one person in particular), that I am, to this day, pretty much polarized against that organization. (As a side note, a co-worker bought me a big Mr. Peanut and mounted it to my desk the day after the event. Good times.)

FAN is, in my experience, a great cause that handles itself absolutely tragically as far as PR goes. My first viewpoint is basically, "Sorry about your kid, but don't TELL ME what to feed my child or make me feel like a criminal because I didn't check their freakin' lip balm for peanut oil. #### you!" You want to raise awareness? Fine. I have absolutely no issue with that...and I'll be HAPPY to help. Just don't make me feel like your child's condition is my responsibility, you self-righteous, pigheaded, obnoxious dragon lady." (Sorry - flashback.)

Anyway...viewpoint #2.

As fate apparently has a sense of irony, a good friend of mine from college now has two yongsters with food allergies...one is severe...specifically to peanuts. They're the nicest, most well-behaved kids in the world. I look at them, and then at my son, and wonder...what if MY son had food allergies? How would I feel? Viewpoint #2 basically goes like this: "Don't tell ME my kid shouldn't be in school. Can you help out a little and try to be aware of his allergy? Thanks. Oh...you're going to send peanut-butter sandwiches to school just to be spiteful? Fine. #### you. By the way...nobody in my family is allergic to Poison Ivy...so junior here is gonna roll around in the stuff...and then I'm sending him to school. Oh...your kid is allergic to Poison Ivy? Not my problem." (ETA: One of the friend's kids is in public school (allergies are manageable), the other isn't (it's life-threatening if he gets exposed to peanuts)).

there is a totally different reason that this thread is traumatic to many.

Anyway...viewpoint #2.

there is a totally different reason that this thread is traumatic to many.
There is a complete back story that many people do not know about and some wish no one knew about.

Parents want school's allergy checks reinstated

Parents want school's allergy checks reinstated

var byString = ""; var sourceString = "toronto.ctv.ca"; if ((sourceString != "") && (byString != "")) { document.write(byString + ", "); } else { document.write(byString); } toronto.ctv.ca

The parents of six Vaughan children with life-threatening allergies have filed complaints to the Ontario Human Rights Commission after one Woodbridge school stopped the practice of checking the lunches of its students.

The families say failing to screen lunches for eggs, peanuts and other allergens to which their children suffer severe reactions is a form of discrimination.

The students, who are aged between six and 11, attend St. Stephen Catholic School.

"During the last school year, the principal and the board removed the accommodations that were in place and working well since the school opened in 2002, without consulting those who were impacted," the parents said in a statement to the media on Monday.

The students who suffer from the severe allergies say they no longer feel safe.

"At school, I'm afraid because I don't really know some of the food with eggs and milk look like, and most of the time the kids won't spot it because if it's like a candy or something, they'll just eat it," 11-year-old Alex told CTV News.

The parents and children say they aren't asking for anything new, just for the old program to be reinstated.

"Pupils with deadly allergies have the right to an education in a safe learning environment," lawyer Iain T. Donnell, who is representing the children, said in a release.

"It must be emphasized that these children are not asking for anything new but merely the restoration of accommodations that had already been in place since the school opened in 2002. Children's safety is non-negotiable."

The human rights complaint has been filed against the York Catholic District School Board, a trustee, a superintendent and the school's principal.

The parents involved in the dispute say the decision to scrap the daily allergy checks was "an administrative and political decision" that occurred after a new principal came to the school.

The board, in its defence, says it is impossible to properly check every lunch bag, CTV's Galit Solomon reported.

A spokesperson also said the program was ended to bring the school in line with the others in the region.

Official Chris Cable told the Toronto Star that St. Stephen has a "vigilant" approach to accommodating the children, and sends a letter to all families asking them not to send food that contains nut products or eggs in "pure form," and suggests a list of allergy-safe snacks.

Cable told the newspaper that while the Ontario Human Rights Code requires schools to accommodate children with disabilities, "it makes no mention of daily inspections of children's lunches by school staff .... nor does Human Rights require parents to send in notes with each lunch and snack to describe the ingredients."

Administrators say they are working with the commission to consider the individual needs of anaphylactic students.

I went back and read post #1. Ditkaless Wonders: how's Melvin doing? any update on the kid?
Bump
We have moved on. My daughter is now in public school. Little Melvin, isn't, at least not in ours. My daughter has a new nemisis named Gavin. Her best friend is a little girl, Riley, who has numerous allergies including to many foods but primarily dairy it seems. What are the odds? The specifics I don't really know about. I do know that when she comes over we put the dog out, lock the cat in the basement, and that she brings her own food.

You know how in the "Alien" movies where the baby alien is all dormant and stuff in your chest (just after having your face grabbed), and then bursts out of your chest all little and evil and stuff before becoming a gd nightmare of epic proportions?I think thats about to happen....
R.I.P. mojo.

I went back and read post #1. Ditkaless Wonders: how's Melvin doing? any update on the kid?
Bump
We have moved on. My daughter is now in public school. Little Melvin, isn't, at least not in ours. My daughter has a new nemisis named Gavin. Her best friend is a little girl, Riley, who has numerous allergies including to many foods but primarily dairy it seems. What are the odds? The specifics I don't really know about. I do know that when she comes over we put the dog out, lock the cat in the basement, and that she brings her own food.
Your going to want to be very careful when your child's friend is at your house and make sure she doesn't eat anything that she doesn't bring. Dairy and Egg allergies can be just as, or more life threatening than a nut allergy. I know a child that if egg just touches his mouth he goes into anaphylaxtic shock. I realize it not your responsibility for what that child eats, but many food allergic children will try foods that they shouldn't when they are at a friends house. Even thought the allergic child has been told a 1000 times by their parents that they can't, they will take chances.

Bump
Your going to want to be very careful when your child's friend is at your house and make sure she doesn't eat anything that she doesn't bring. Dairy and Egg allergies can be just as, or more life threatening than a nut allergy. I know a child that if egg just touches his mouth he goes into anaphylaxtic shock. I realize it not your responsibility for what that child eats, but many food allergic children will try foods that they shouldn't when they are at a friends house. Even thought the allergic child has been told a 1000 times by their parents that they can't, they will take chances.
A child in my home is my responsibility.On a related front The older brother of another of my child's school mates apparently also has the peanut allergy. (This is more ubiquitous than I had ever known) Last week he was with a playmate outside in the neighborhood and had a homemade cookie. The kid apparently went into shock and his throat swelled shut. He does not carry an epi pen (Can 9 year olds carry an epi pen?) and apparently his parents neither believe in that precaution, nor, as it turns out in medical intervention. The mother had gone to the store and the older girl watching the kids did not know what to do. She came running up to my wife who was outside watching our daughter ride her play truck in the cul-de-sac. My wife called an ambulance. The boy was treated at the hospital but now those parents are pissed at my wife, who was unaware of their religious beliefs. My wife did try to call the woman right after calling the ambulance but we have her home phone and not her cell. The woman had not left her cell phone number with the teenager watching her kids.The father has come over to tell me my wife had no right to authorize medical treatment for his son. He was abrasive. I told him my wife did not authorize treatment, rather she called an ambulance for a child in obvious distress. He does not see a distinction. I don't give a rat's ###. I told him that even now knowing their wishes we would call an ambulance under similar circumstances. I don't know where the matter will go from here. For a religious man he was rather confrontatory. I do believe he was moments away from throwing a fist or two. We left matters unresolved. The boy is fine now and was outside today. I did note that neither of his parents were outside supervising him.

Bump
A child in my home is my responsibility.On a related front The older brother of another of my child's school mates apparently also has the peanut allergy. (This is more ubiquitous than I had ever known) Last week he was with a playmate outside in the neighborhood and had a homemade cookie. The kid apparently went into shock and his throat swelled shut. He does not carry an epi pen (Can 9 year olds carry an epi pen?) and apparently his parents neither believe in that precaution, nor, as it turns out in medical intervention. The mother had gone to the store and the older girl watching the kids did not know what to do. She came running up to my wife who was outside watching our daughter ride her play truck in the cul-de-sac. My wife called an ambulance. The boy was treated at the hospital but now those parents are pissed at my wife, who was unaware of their religious beliefs. My wife did try to call the woman right after calling the ambulance but we have her home phone and not her cell. The woman had not left her cell phone number with the teenager watching her kids.The father has come over to tell me my wife had no right to authorize medical treatment for his son. He was abrasive. I told him my wife did not authorize treatment, rather she called an ambulance for a child in obvious distress. He does not see a distinction. I don't give a rat's ###. I told him that even now knowing their wishes we would call an ambulance under similar circumstances. I don't know where the matter will go from here. For a religious man he was rather confrontatory. I do believe he was moments away from throwing a fist or two. We left matters unresolved. The boy is fine now and was outside today. I did note that neither of his parents were outside supervising him.
What kind of religion is that??

Bump
Didn't bother asking.

Bump
Didn't bother asking.
I think you should have shown him your gun collection.

Bump
Didn't bother asking.
I think you should have shown him your gun collection.
The man had a fright to his family and his beliefs. No need for me to get in his grill if I don't need to.

Dairy and Egg allergies can be just as, or more life threatening than a nut allergy. I know a child that if egg just touches his mouth he goes into anaphylaxtic shock.
My middle daughter is allergic to dairy, egg, tomato, and potato. My oldest daughter is allergic to peanuts, and my youngest is allergic to turkey, lemon, and sunflower. It's near impossible to find a dinner we can all eat, and it's even harder to eat out.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Bump
A child in my home is my responsibility.On a related front The older brother of another of my child's school mates apparently also has the peanut allergy. (This is more ubiquitous than I had ever known) Last week he was with a playmate outside in the neighborhood and had a homemade cookie. The kid apparently went into shock and his throat swelled shut. He does not carry an epi pen (Can 9 year olds carry an epi pen?) and apparently his parents neither believe in that precaution, nor, as it turns out in medical intervention. The mother had gone to the store and the older girl watching the kids did not know what to do. She came running up to my wife who was outside watching our daughter ride her play truck in the cul-de-sac. My wife called an ambulance. The boy was treated at the hospital but now those parents are pissed at my wife, who was unaware of their religious beliefs. My wife did try to call the woman right after calling the ambulance but we have her home phone and not her cell. The woman had not left her cell phone number with the teenager watching her kids.

The father has come over to tell me my wife had no right to authorize medical treatment for his son. He was abrasive. I told him my wife did not authorize treatment, rather she called an ambulance for a child in obvious distress. He does not see a distinction. I don't give a rat's ###. I told him that even now knowing their wishes we would call an ambulance under similar circumstances. I don't know where the matter will go from here. For a religious man he was rather confrontatory. I do believe he was moments away from throwing a fist or two. We left matters unresolved.

The boy is fine now and was outside today. I did note that neither of his parents were outside supervising him.
(Can 9 year olds carry an epi pen?)Yes anyone can cary an Epipen, actually, the new recommendation is to carry two. First one is administered, and it may not be effective, so another must be injected after the first. The real question is, would you trust a 9 year old self-administering an epipen? I wouldn't. You have to slam it into your thigh and hold it there for 10 seconds. I don't think a 9 year old would be able to do it. Of course, if it is life or death and there is no one there to help, hopefully the child would recognize he is going into anaphalaxic shock and inject himself.

You did the right thing fir the other child, thank god there was someone to call 911 or he probably would have died. It happens sometimes in less then 20 minutes.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Bump
My brother was able to give himself injections of insulin himself when ten. Of course at that age my father, a physician, was overseeing matters. A child in my home is my responsibility.

On a related front The older brother of another of my child's school mates apparently also has the peanut allergy. (This is more ubiquitous than I had ever known) Last week he was with a playmate outside in the neighborhood and had a homemade cookie. The kid apparently went into shock and his throat swelled shut. He does not carry an epi pen (Can 9 year olds carry an epi pen?) and apparently his parents neither believe in that precaution, nor, as it turns out in medical intervention. The mother had gone to the store and the older girl watching the kids did not know what to do. She came running up to my wife who was outside watching our daughter ride her play truck in the cul-de-sac. My wife called an ambulance. The boy was treated at the hospital but now those parents are pissed at my wife, who was unaware of their religious beliefs. My wife did try to call the woman right after calling the ambulance but we have her home phone and not her cell. The woman had not left her cell phone number with the teenager watching her kids.

The father has come over to tell me my wife had no right to authorize medical treatment for his son. He was abrasive. I told him my wife did not authorize treatment, rather she called an ambulance for a child in obvious distress. He does not see a distinction. I don't give a rat's ###. I told him that even now knowing their wishes we would call an ambulance under similar circumstances. I don't know where the matter will go from here. For a religious man he was rather confrontatory. I do believe he was moments away from throwing a fist or two. We left matters unresolved.

The boy is fine now and was outside today. I did note that neither of his parents were outside supervising him.
(Can 9 year olds carry an epi pen?)Yes anyone can cary an Epipen, actually, the new recommendation is to carry two. First one is administered, and it may not be effective, so another must be injected after the first. The real question is, would you trust a 9 year old self-administering an epipen? I wouldn't. You have to slam it into your thigh and hold it there for 10 seconds. I don't think a 9 year old would be able to do it. Of course, if it is life or death and there is no one there to help, hopefully the child would recognize he is going into anaphalaxic shock and inject himself.

You did the right thing fir the other child, thank god there was someone to call 911 or he probably would have died. It happens sometimes in less then 20 minutes.

Darwinism. There was a program on Discovery Channel about 8 years ago that has really stuck with me. A kid that would die if he was ever exposed to Ultraviolet radiation. Seriously, we're going to keep him in a protective bubble for the rest of his life? And people are going to have to hire him to perform a job or risk getting sued? And then we let him have little bubble babies? God knows he gets some sort of half a million dollar research grant eventually from my pocket.

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- The return of peanuts to the snack menu at Northwest Airlines this month has prompted a spasm of protests from travelers with allergies.Just weeks after Northwest began handing out peanuts as flight snacks, customers have raised allergy concerns.Just weeks after Northwest began handing out peanuts as flight snacks, customers have raised allergy concerns.The change comes four months after Northwest merged with Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines and in the midst of a national salmonella outbreak involving Peanut Corporation of America. Georgia, where the company has a plant, is the top peanut-producing state in the country.Northwest began handing out the goobers as snacks on February 1, as Delta has been doing for years.In Minneapolis, where Northwest is based, news of the change has resulted in a flood of responses on the Web site of the Star Tribune, a local newspaper."This is a very disappointing development," wrote one man who responded to the story. "My wife's allergy is so severe that if someone is sitting next to her and eating peanuts, the odor is enough to trigger an allergic reaction.""Northwest is really out of touch with its customers and the reality of allergies to peanuts," wrote another reader. "What's wrong with pretzels?"Don't MissThe Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says more than 3 million Americans are allergic to peanuts or tree nuts, while nearly 7 million are allergic to seafood. Combined, food allergies cause 30,000 cases of anaphylaxis, 2,000 hospitalizations and 150 deaths annually.advertisementDelta says it will make accommodations for those with peanut allergies, if a request is made."We'll create a buffer zone of three rows in front of and three rows behind your seat," the airline's Web site says. "We'll also advise cabin service to board additional nonpeanut snacks, which will allow our flight attendants to serve these snack items to everyone within this area.

Anything new on this front?

Only the strong survive? You should tell him that Darwin would be proud of him.

Anything new on this front?
Wow.I honestly feel like I would be helpless to stop myself from violently punching him in the throat repeatedly, and unable to stop giggling like a madman as I did so.

My nephew almost died today..just found out he has developed the same allegy Little Melvin has. Ate some ice cream with nuts and his throat closed.

My nephew almost died today..just found out he has developed the same allegy Little Melvin has. Ate some ice cream with nuts and his throat closed.
How old? Had he eaten peanuts in the past, but just now developed it? Scary stuff, glad he is ok.
10 years old. Seems to have just delevoped it, although my sister said he never would eat peanut butter or nuts so she is not really sure. They did not know what was wrong with him at first but there was a nurse at the ice cream joint who said to call 911 right away.

We have a kid with the same allergy at our school. At the end of the year picnic, he ate a bar that didn't have peanuts in it but instead had dust from a workers glove which had touched a peanut butter cookie. He had his throat close and puked as much as I have ever seen. He went to the hospital and got the epi-pen and everything turned out ok. Crazy as his reaction was from dust only.

There was a terrific poster named mojorizin and then nursing student e-mom shows up in this thread. Flirting off and on and as the "story" goes they made consensual sweet sweet love to each other. To make a long story short, mojorizing left the toilet seat up in the hotel room they shared pissing e-mom off. e-mom proceeded to take off and despite repeated attempts(some say in the hundreds), mojo could not reel her back in to his lair. e-mom was so upset about the toilet seat incident she supposedly filed a personal restraining order thus alerting mojo's wife to the incident. This put strain on mojo's marriage and soon mojo was on the street. The End. Then the Imp came a long. The REAL The End.

There was a terrific poster named mojorizin and then nursing student e-mom shows up in this thread. Flirting off and on and as the "story" goes they made consensual sweet sweet love to each other. To make a long story short, mojorizing left the toilet seat up in the hotel room they shared pissing e-mom off. e-mom proceeded to take off and despite repeated attempts(some say in the hundreds), mojo could not reel her back in to his lair. e-mom was so upset about the toilet seat incident she supposedly filed a personal restraining order thus alerting mojo's wife to the incident. This put strain on mojo's marriage and soon mojo was on the street. The End. Then the Imp came a long. The REAL The End.
Thanks for the information. Is that all documented in this thread?

Thanks for the information. Is that all documented in this thread?
No. You would have to look elsewher:e: and then drill down a bit.

Last night Mrs DW and I went to the indoctrination night for my 3 and 1/2 year old daughter's preschool.

The evening opened with a benediction and then a prayer where we were supposed to join in with the Minister in beseeching the Lord that we don't screw up our kids by ever taking them to a "secular" preschool. I tell you now that man put more stink on the word "secular" than I have ever heard put on any word before.

Next we were subjected to a 5 minute marketing presentation by a christian book seller. Seems some books is christian and some ain't, and it's real clear she not only sells the good stuff, but that she and the teachers are going to do every thing they can to bring peer group pressure to bear so that any kid not possessing the good stuff will be ostrasized. I was fascinated. With the Lord and the school as marketing partners I suspect she is going to do all right. I started to comment to Mrs. DW about the appropriateness of this type of marketing to young minds when I got the stare. Married guys know that stare. I was frightened.

Then we moved on to the most remarkable part of the evening, at least in my mind. The director gets up, trundles up to the podium while the baby Elephant Walk song plays in my head, she opens her maw and tells us they have a new student. His name is Melvin. (now normally I would have something to say about parents naming their kid Melvin but with my wife having already used the stare I don't want to push it.) It seems Melvin has peanut allergies. Not just regular peanut allergies, but abnormally sensitive ones. This means, she says, that in addition to not being allowed to bring peanuts, peanut butter, or anything containing peanuts into the school, like say a snickers bar, (every one knows those are packed full of peanuts), we will have to check every product we use on our child for peanut based ingredients. Seems some sunscreens contain the stuff, some popcorns are popped with peanut oil, yada, yada, yada.

About here I am busting. Clearly we have some obligations to our fellow man, but I am fairly certain it doesn't extend to checking whether our chld's lip balm or sun screen is thickened with hydrogenated peanut oil. If the kid is that sensitive maybe his parents ought to find other accomodations.

It was right then that I am snapped out of my revery when the Director goes on to say that it would be good if we did not allow our kids to even eat peanut butter within a half an hour before going to school.

I solicit your thoughts.

Is it reasonable that a parent of a child so hypersensitive to a common substance and product to place that child in a setting where scores of other families will now be expected to examine the minutia of their lives to protect that child?

Is it acceptable to use the schools to coercively market to kids and their families?
First off, props to your writing skills. The bolded sentence is beautifully constructed and delivers a complete visual.Second, you need a different preschool stat.

Users who are viewing this thread