What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Howard Stern*** (4 Viewers)

Raider Nation said:
Am I the only one who was supremely disappointed by Howard's monologue today regarding Greg's death?"Well.... [sigh] ... Greg Giraldo died. He's been on our show a few times. Funny guy."Then they played a clip of his five minutes at the Baba Booey roast then basically changed the topic. :thumbdown: It was as if some bum who begs for change in front of the Sirius building died.
wow - didnt hear it yet but thought it would be a good hour or so....guess after all the dead friends of the show hes getting even colder...the Kinison tribute show was one of the best ever!
Do you really think that Greg Giraldo was that big a part of the show? It's not like Schimmel who Howard had a personal/professional relationship with for a long time. Howard was clearly broken up about that whole thing and did over an hour straight on it, plus parts of the rest of the show.And Kinison was one of the biggest figures in comedy and had so many memorable appearances on the show.What exactly were you expecting him to say. I don't think that Howard really knew him much.
You are probably right shouldnt compare to Kinison and Schimmel - but I figured the guy came in many times for free to do the roasts and other stuff - he was one of the most talented comics out there and to only do a few minutes on it is strange to me...especially when the show drags so much...they could have talked about it, played clips from not just the booey roast but a few comedy central roasts - would have been much better use of time IMO - Girlado was hysterical....
I think Howard made it pretty clear that he didnt know the guy too well, but appreciated what he did for the show and thought he was very talented. I thought he handled it fine.Id put Giraldo in the same grouping in terms of relationship with Howard as Florentine, Fitzsimmons, Levy, Lampanelli. Actually Greg was probably even below that grouping.

Raider Nation said:
Am I the only one who was supremely disappointed by Howard's monologue today regarding Greg's death?"Well.... [sigh] ... Greg Giraldo died. He's been on our show a few times. Funny guy."Then they played a clip of his five minutes at the Baba Booey roast then basically changed the topic. :pickle: It was as if some bum who begs for change in front of the Sirius building died.
wow - didnt hear it yet but thought it would be a good hour or so....guess after all the dead friends of the show hes getting even colder...the Kinison tribute show was one of the best ever!
Do you really think that Greg Giraldo was that big a part of the show? It's not like Schimmel who Howard had a personal/professional relationship with for a long time. Howard was clearly broken up about that whole thing and did over an hour straight on it, plus parts of the rest of the show.And Kinison was one of the biggest figures in comedy and had so many memorable appearances on the show.What exactly were you expecting him to say. I don't think that Howard really knew him much.
You are probably right shouldnt compare to Kinison and Schimmel - but I figured the guy came in many times for free to do the roasts and other stuff - he was one of the most talented comics out there and to only do a few minutes on it is strange to me...especially when the show drags so much...they could have talked about it, played clips from not just the booey roast but a few comedy central roasts - would have been much better use of time IMO - Girlado was hysterical....
I think Howard made it pretty clear that he didnt know the guy too well, but appreciated what he did for the show and thought he was very talented. I thought he handled it fine.Id put Giraldo in the same grouping in terms of relationship with Howard as Florentine, Fitzsimmons, Levy, Lampanelli. Actually Greg was probably even below that grouping.
Haven't listened to the show much in the past year but Giraldo was not in that class. Only time he came in was when they needed a comic for a roast. Never remember him being a guest on the show.

Raider Nation said:
Am I the only one who was supremely disappointed by Howard's monologue today regarding Greg's death?"Well.... [sigh] ... Greg Giraldo died. He's been on our show a few times. Funny guy."Then they played a clip of his five minutes at the Baba Booey roast then basically changed the topic. :pickle: It was as if some bum who begs for change in front of the Sirius building died.
I agree with that but dont you think out of a 5 hr show with a bunch of garbage it would have been interesting to do more than a passing few minutes?

What has happened to Howads voice since 1983. Holy cow
This has been discussed ad nauseum. It seems to be a combination of him becoming much more relaxed and also partly to do with the compression on his mic now (and to a small extent, degradation of the recordings).

It's really amazing to me how much vacation time these guys get. Not to mention the four-day work week.
Did you catch the piece from '82 yesterday where he was riding Carson, who was negotiating a new contract, for his demand of 15 weeks of vacation? Carson was about the same age then as Howard is now.

It's really amazing to me how much vacation time these guys get. Not to mention the four-day work week.
Did you catch the piece from '82 yesterday where he was riding Carson, who was negotiating a new contract, for his demand of 15 weeks of vacation? Carson was about the same age then as Howard is now.
That was making me crack up, when he was killing Carson for asking for so much time off. I would imagine that the staff had a few laughs at that clip when selecting it for the show.Fred has always used a gruff personality voice on the radio, but he was playing a character and not just being Fred in the studio. Found the first part of the show strange when he first got to NBC and was using that weird newsguy and not Robin.Also thankful that Howard does not use that higher pitched whiny voice that he used to slide into all the time anymore.

After all of these NBC clips, here's some things I've observed about those years:

- Everything was "wild" (either "pretty" or "really")

- Howard was not kind to gays back then, in fact pretty derogatory on most occasions. He used the f word just as bad as Artie

- Robin has been starting off her thoughts with "I was just going to say..." for 27 years, and counting

- The clapping was annoying even back then as even the guests pointed out how distracting it was

- I now think about 75% of what went on with Pig Vomit/Virus and other "bad guys" from management was manufactured, instigated and/or exaggerated by Howard

After all of these NBC clips, here's some things I've observed about those years:- Everything was "wild" (either "pretty" or "really")- Howard was not kind to gays back then, in fact pretty derogatory on most occasions. He used the f word just as bad as Artie- Robin has been starting off her thoughts with "I was just going to say..." for 27 years, and counting- The clapping was annoying even back then as even the guests pointed out how distracting it was- I now think about 75% of what went on with Pig Vomit/Virus and other "bad guys" from management was manufactured, instigated and/or exaggerated by Howard
:clapclapclapclap:

I've been listening since the NBC days and although his stuff was edgy at the time and I loved it, it is hard to listen to now.
Yeah, I'm over it. I'd rather hear early Sirius replays. The day Mike Walker got busted farting on tape is one they could replay every day for a week. I almost pissed myself when they started the first wave of song parodies, partly because Artie sounded like he was going to throw up, he was laughing so hard."For those about to rock........... fire ! [fart sound] WE SA-LUTE YOOOU !"

It's been mentioned a hundered times in this thread, not just on this page.... but how in the HELL did they ever think that non-stop clapping at NBC wasn't annoying? Migod. It completely *KILLED* every segment.

I said in this thread three years ago that I don't understand how people could listen to shows from 1982. I can't flip the channel fast enough when I see one of those are on, or a theme show that pretty much showcases that stuff. Horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought his shows from the Krock years were the bestI think those were the E years as well
:goodposting:Am I the only one who thinks the clapping is funny?
Nope, cracks me up too
I have no problem with it. I remember back in the day being so used to it I barely even noticed it. I'm enjoying listening to the NBC years, so many things I forgot about.
It's like a laugh track, for radio.

Thought this was interesting:

Sirius now pays $100 million a year for Stern, though that covers all show expenses and not just his salary.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/m...11mHbGXkJ"</a>"]linkIf that is accurate, I assume that means guys like sal and richard, JD, ect. who aren't getting paid #### are getting paid #### because it comes out of H's pocket. Wonder if that applies to Howard 101 too. If so, Riley Martin has a point ;)

This is also pretty eye opening:

If Stern did three Internet shows a week, charged $5 a month (a bargain for fans) and got a million subscribers (a low estimate), he'd make $60 million a year. A fellow could live on that.

Sirius now pays $100 million a year for Stern, though that covers all show expenses and not just his salary.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/m...11mHbGXkJ"</a>"]linkIf that is accurate, I assume that means guys like sal and richard, JD, ect. who aren't getting paid #### are getting paid #### because it comes out of H's pocket. Wonder if that applies to Howard 101 too. If so, Riley Martin has a point :blackdot:

If Stern did three Internet shows a week, charged $5 a month (a bargain for fans) and got a million subscribers (a low estimate), he'd make $60 million a year. A fellow could live on that.
The way that I have heard it explained is that the $100 million is Howard's to distribute, but really Tim makes the budget. Do you think that Howard has any concept of who should be paid what? I'm sure that Howard has to sign off on it, but it would be interesting to know the actual breakdown. Not sure if Bubba and Ferrall's shows come out of that budget. Howard certainly didn't indicate anything like that when Bubba was going through the whole contract issue and Bubba has never indicated that to my knowledge.And that podcast figure is just the total revenue (hopefully the writer of that article realizes that). I'm not sure how much Howard would clear out of that arrangement, but my guess is that if he partnered with a podcast company (like Adam Curry's or whatever) to get them to cover the overhead, then I would think that he could keep maybe 20% of that revenue for himself. That seems to be what he realized (interestingly enough right after the Adam Curry call), since he incessantly mocked podcasts for a long time and then in the past couple months is suddenly the expert on sim cards and new technologies and what you can do.

I thought that was why Gary went to see Andy **** when he was living in that guest house/shack or whatever it was. He was podcasting and I think they were scoping it out

I think there is no way he comes back to Sirius. I think he can have his own radio/Internet show and charge more then 5 bucks month and people will pay it. Not sure if everyone that came to Sirius because of him would, but enough for him to make it worth his time. He wouldnt need to wake up early anymore and he could work 3 days a week.

I think those two things are his major points.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/m...11mHbGXkJ"</a>"]linkIf that is accurate, I assume that means guys like sal and richard, JD, ect. who aren't getting paid #### are getting paid #### because it comes out of H's pocket. Wonder if that applies to Howard 101 too. If so, Riley Martin has a point ;)

The way that I have heard it explained is that the $100 million is Howard's to distribute, but really Tim makes the budget. Do you think that Howard has any concept of who should be paid what? I'm sure that Howard has to sign off on it, but it would be interesting to know the actual breakdown. Not sure if Bubba and Ferrall's shows come out of that budget. Howard certainly didn't indicate anything like that when Bubba was going through the whole contract issue and Bubba has never indicated that to my knowledge.And that podcast figure is just the total revenue (hopefully the writer of that article realizes that). I'm not sure how much Howard would clear out of that arrangement, but my guess is that if he partnered with a podcast company (like Adam Curry's or whatever) to get them to cover the overhead, then I would think that he could keep maybe 20% of that revenue for himself. That seems to be what he realized (interestingly enough right after the Adam Curry call), since he incessantly mocked podcasts for a long time and then in the past couple months is suddenly the expert on sim cards and new technologies and what you can do.
with the budget, the on air "talent" (i.e., the people with contracts) would not be included (my assumption). I can't imagine it could be any other way.And ya, I think the New York Daily News gets the idea of gross revenue and actual profit. I think end bit was a bit tongue in cheek. Breaking it down from gross revenue to profit, for the sake of a news quip, aint gonna happen.

I think he follows Kevin Smith's Smodcast Network model or Carolla's Ace Network. He does a "main" show (like Carolla's podacst with a guest then a news segment with Robin and Fred) and then Richard and Sal get their own show, Gary and John, etc. All those one-hour shows from 101 make up the majority of the content so there's less time needed from him. $10/month gives him $120 million a year. $20 million more than what he gets from Sirius now to do the same thing with less hassle.

You know that chick they shoehorned in for an unusually early to promote her unrated movie "I Spit On Your Grave" that just opened in SIX theatres Nationwide...

Sarah Butler...well yes she is hot...but you should know that her agent is Don Buchwald...same as Howard.

So while it was a bit refreshing to hear an interview with someone who wasn't a retread like Jessie Venture or Joan Rivers, etc...

It was an infomercial for one of Buchwald's clients.

You know that chick they shoehorned in for an unusually early to promote her unrated movie "I Spit On Your Grave" that just opened in SIX theatres Nationwide...

Sarah Butler...well yes she is hot...but you should know that her agent is Don Buchwald...same as Howard.

So while it was a bit refreshing to hear an interview with someone who wasn't a retread like Jessie Venture or Joan Rivers, etc...

Wow you mean this sort of thing goes on?! Who would have guessed it?

:goodposting:

:no:
I figured there was an agenda (the time slow was bizarre too - Robin commented on that). I enjoyed it though. I tried to google her when it aired to see what the deal was. Figured she really was smoking.

great detective work

great detective work
Thanks, but I found it it on SFN...someone dug up an article on her that mentions her being with the Don Buchwald Management Team or something like that.

at this point, I am wondering if Stern has a gag order built into his Sirius contract.

He burned infinity on is way out, announcing his departure well before his contract was up. You gotta think Sirius learned from this and put something in his contract that prevents him from turning his last few months into a free promo for his next venture.

I honestly don't think he dislikes Sirius so I'm not sure they will get the bashing the other places got

I think at this point in his life, he wants more for less and I doubt Sirius gives it to him

He will start his own show on his own terms and people will still listen. I do think he will lose some listeners but I'm not sure it matters to him. Not even sure money matters to him. What will be more interesting is what/how he pays his staff. Will some of them take less to stay on.

I hope he does go internet only. My Sirius is scheduled to auto renew next month and I'd rather get rid of it. The rest of Sirius sucks and the hardware is cumbersome.

I'd rather listen through my phone.

I hope he does go internet only. My Sirius is scheduled to auto renew next month and I'd rather get rid of it. The rest of Sirius sucks and the hardware is cumbersome.I'd rather listen through my phone.
thats why I believe heis leaving - about 6 weeks until expiration and Sirius wants to get as many renewals as possible before he bails...I think he will still have a relationship with them for the tapes - perhaps a best of channel while he moves his live show to podcast

If I was Howard I'd go $12.99 and you get the Howard TV and internet feed.

If your cable provider does not have Howard TV this will put pressure on them to add it.

Users who are viewing this thread