What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Complain about the officials thread *** (1 Viewer)

Did the refs cost Seattle the game?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread I was in in the FFA is gone now. I still don't see where the Seahawks lost bc of blown calls they lost bc of bad plays and missed opportunities.
Had Sea made plays they could have overcome several bad calls. What does that tell you about how Pit played?Not a fan of either team, but a poor game all around.
Tells me Pittsburgh made the plays and Seattle did not.

:rolleyes: X infinity.

The refs didn't cost anyone anything. The officiating was just fine tonite.
You're not allowed to tackle a guy below the waist? Good to know...
Yup. A couple of questionable calls. Show me the game that hasn't had any. There were some much much MUCH worse officiating efforts during this year's playoffs. The bad calls tonite were not game changing nor of greater numbers than the average game. Its done. Sorry if you can't live with it.

The refs called the low tackle on Hass but ignored the horse collar tackle on Alexander. It was like they were making up rules as the game went along. Horrible officiating.

And to pile on, it looked like Roth. stepped over the line of scrimmage during that marathon completion play to H Ward.
That one was a correct no-call. Pretty obvious on replay.

Seahawks had ample opportunity to overcome. They didn't especially look at Steven's stone hands and their clock management.
Why should a team have to overcome?
You are right that they shouldn't "have to." But they didn't get done in by the officials. There were some close calls that went the other way.I agree that the Hasselbeck "block below the waist" was phantom. That being said, Ward was so open on the next play it wouldn't have mattered.

Seattle needed to make the plays. They didn't.

And to pile on, it looked like Roth. stepped over the line of scrimmage during that marathon completion play to H Ward.
Yeah, didn't you see the replay with the red line of scrimmage? I don't think Rothy was even within a foot of it.

D Jax push off, B S and VERY late
Sorry, but that was a good call. DJax DID push off and it DID affect the TD. Had he not done that, the defender would have probably been in position to make a play on the ball.

I wanted the Steelers to win.

That being said I thought the Seahawks got robbed!!

They robbed themselves when they did not replay Stevens catch and fumble.

The refs called the low tackle on Hass but ignored the horse collar tackle on Alexander. It was like they were making up rules as the game went along. Horrible officiating.
Are you kidding? He got him from behind with no collar! I was more worried that Alexander might have had his ankle turned than that he was horse-collared.

Darrell Jackson did push off in the end zone. Was it very blatant? No. Could it have gone uncalled? Yes. But he did push off.

Sean Locklear did hold Clark Haggans on the pass to the 1. Was it the "there's holding on every play" type of hold? Perhaps. But he did hold.

These weren't blatantly blown calls that showed a misunderstanding of the rules. They were borderline judgment calls that happened to impact key plays.

Sorry, but that was a good call. DJax DID push off and it DID affect the TD. Had he not done that, the defender would have probably been in position to make a play on the ball.
Michael "Playmaker" Irvin said it was a bad call. Shouldn't that be enough proof?

You are wrong, he did not affect the defender's chance to catch the ball. It still was a good call, though. The reason it got called was bc Jackson's arm was extended enough to stop the defender. However, had he not done that, he still would have been in position to make the catch bc he had over a yard of separation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael "Playmaker" Irvin said it was a bad call. Shouldn't that be enough proof?
If Cokesniffer said it, it's good enough for me. My bad. :thumbup:

The refs called the low tackle on Hass but ignored the horse collar tackle on Alexander.  It was like they were making up rules as the game went along.  Horrible officiating.
Are you kidding? He got him from behind with no collar! I was more worried that Alexander might have had his ankle turned than that he was horse-collared.
Obviously John Madden and myself saw it differently

I actually thought the refs did an ok job tonight.

The Hasselback block below the knee thing was the only truly BAD call of the night IMO.

:rolleyes:   X infinity.

The refs didn't cost anyone anything.  The officiating was just fine tonite.
Yup. A couple of questionable calls. Show me the game that hasn't had any. There were some much much MUCH worse officiating efforts during this year's playoffs. The bad calls tonite were not game changing nor of greater numbers than the average game. Its done. Sorry if you can't live with it.
I'm not a fan of either team by any means, and probably more than any other super bowl I've ever watched, I was indifferent about the winner of this game. With that said, this was quite possibly the worst officiated game I've ever seen. Theres bad calls where you can understand how it is a tough call for the ref to make at game speed, and then theres calls that are made late, are made after looking at replay, or are just completely unfounded(penalty on Hasselbeck for tackling).

You are wrong, he did not affect the defender. It still was a good call, though. The reason it got called was bc Jackson's arm was extended enough to affect the defender. However, had he not done that, he still would have been in position to make the catch bc he had over a yard of separation.
He had separation because his hand was in the defenders chest. If he had "a yard of separation", how could he even be in contact with the defender?? That doesn't even make sense.

:lmao: How many times has that guy been busted for coke possession?

I would be a little hesitant to take his opinion as gospel.

I have been disgusted with the NFL since the Colts-Steelers game. That game was called onesided. The worst single call I have seen in my lifetime. I live in Indy and I would have been outraged if the Colts would have ended up winning.

The Super Bowl has made me seriously lose interest. Pittsburgh played a poor game. Their defense was worked over all game and their offense was only good for one drive and two quick scores. That said, they won the game with those plays. Congratulations to them. I just wish they could have won without the contraversy.

The refs called the low tackle on Hass but ignored the horse collar tackle on Alexander.  It was like they were making up rules as the game went along.  Horrible officiating.
Obviously John Madden and myself saw it differently
I watched it with the sound off. I'll confidently take my view any day and twice on Sunday. (more based on Madden then you). :hophead:

My complaint is about those people who truly believe in their heart that the refs cost the Seahawks the title and refuse to say it publically because it is easier not to do so. That is not classy. Looking at the polls, the overwhelming majority of football fans feel that way. Its become a legitimate point and people should feel free to make it.

I bet you anything that there are many in the Steelers organization itself that feel this way too. If the NFL doesn't want a major PR mightmare on its hands, those people better be free to voice their feelings. Otherwise, with today's fan, I think it will permanently damage the game.

:rolleyes: X infinity.

The refs didn't cost anyone anything. The officiating was just fine tonite.
I'm not a fan of either team by any means, and probably more than any other super bowl I've ever watched, I was indifferent about the winner of this game. With that said, this was quite possibly the worst officiated game I've ever seen. Theres bad calls where you can understand how it is a tough call for the ref to make at game speed, and then theres calls that are made late, are made after looking at replay, or are just completely unfounded(penalty on Hasselbeck for tackling).
I'll give you the Hasselbeck tackle call. That was crap, but hardly effected the game. I didn't see anything else that wasn't a judgement call, and even the majority of those calls being questioned in here (the DJax PI call, Ben's TD gift), on the replay I could totally see where the refs were coming from.

Darrell Jackson did push off in the end zone. Was it very blatant? No. Could it have gone uncalled? Yes. But he did push off.

Sean Locklear did hold Clark Haggans on the pass to the 1. Was it the "there's holding on every play" type of hold? Perhaps. But he did hold.

These weren't blatantly blown calls that showed a misunderstanding of the rules. They were borderline judgment calls that happened to impact key plays.
The bigger problem I have with the DJackson play was how late it was called...it was like once the ref realized that it was a TD, then he decided to throw it.

I can agree with that. There are lots of calls that happen in every game that are tough to call. Sometimes going to be 50/50 that they get it right. Its not an easy job. Does it happen sometimes that you roll a die and it comes up even 3 out of 4 times? Sure it does. It happens.

Obviously you have no knowledge of the horse collar rule.They did make a bad call on the Hass tackle. It was a 15 yard penalty after change of posession. Not exactly a game changer.

My complaint is about those people who truly believe in their heart that the refs cost the Seahawks the title and refuse to say it publically because it is easier not to do so. That is not classy. Looking at the polls, the overwhelming majority of football fans feel that way. Its become a legitimate point and people should feel free to make it.

I bet you anything that there are many in the Steelers organization itself that feel this way too. If the NFL doesn't want a major PR mightmare on its hands, those people better be free to voice their feelings. Otherwise, with today's fan, I think it will permanently damage the game.
Didn't you say this in your locked thread already? :unsure:

The bigger problem I have with the DJackson play was how late it was called...it was like once the ref realized that it was a TD, then he decided to throw it.
Does it matter? If it was a penalty, then call it. I would rather have ref think a little about a play before making a call then to make a split second decision.

You must of not watched ANY play off game. In comparison, the Super Bowl was a delight. Some close calls but besides the phantom Hasselback below the knee call (???) It wasn't all that bad.And COntroversy? There wont be no controversy. Steelers won. PERIOD. Congrats to the steelers, they did whatever it took to win. Seattle didn't.

Not hard to figure out people.

definitely some bad calls....I think if they did not count Big Bens TD, they would have gotten it in on the next play.

The refs did not have anything to do with Seattle's clock management.

The refs had nothing to do with Seattle's WRs keeping there feet in play.

Those things hurt just as much as the bad calls. They did reverse the Hasselbeck Fumble.

Plus the Steelers Defense shut down the top four scoring teams this season during the playoffs (Cincy, Colts, Broncos, and now the Seahawks).

You are wrong, he did not affect the defender. It still was a good call, though. The reason it got called was bc Jackson's arm was extended enough to affect the defender. However, had he not done that, he still would have been in position to make the catch bc he had over a yard of separation.
He had separation because his hand was in the defenders chest. If he had "a yard of separation", how could he even be in contact with the defender?? That doesn't even make sense.
When he contacted the defender, the defender didn't even move. Plus, the ball was thrown to Jackson's side. So when DJ broke for the ball, he easily had a yard of separation. Their contact had no affect on the defender's chance at the ball.That being said, it's the right call bc he touched the defender w his arm outstretched while breaking the other way. There is no way for the official to see what we saw without slo-mo. He made the right call.

The argument is not about a call being questionable, the issue is that the calls were questionable at crucial junctures in the game.No delay of game is a big deal.

A 1/2 yard run that was about to be spotted at the 3 inch mark making it 4th and goal but magically turns into a TD as the Ref goes to spot it is a big deal.

a ticky tack push off (and could be called on every play as either pass interference or contact beyond 5 yards) that negates a TD is a big deal.

A missed holding call when Randel El throws the TD is a HUGE deal.

A phantom holding call that costs the seahawks 30 yds and a 1st and goal is monumental.

Yes every game has mistakes by the Refs, but when one team consistantly comes out on the short end of calls that come at crucial moments in the game, there is reason to complain.

Yeah, didn't you see the replay with the red line of scrimmage? I don't think Rothy was even within a foot of it.
Check that replay and tell me how many of the Steelers O-lineman were beyond it illegally. I think you'll be surprised.

Didn't you say this in your locked thread already? :unsure:
Well I'll add that the NFL has to do something here and something big. There's just been far too many bad calls in general lately. Either a major revamp of the referee crews, or getting rid of instant replay in its current form, or something. This was bad news for the NFL and they need to get on top of it.

When he contacted the defender, the defender didn't even move. Plus, the ball was thrown to Jackson's side. So when DJ broke for the ball, he easily had a yard of separation. Their contact had no affect on the defender's chance at the ball.That being said, it's the right call bc he touched the defender w his arm outstretched while breaking the other way. There is no way for the official to see what we saw without slo-mo. He made the right call.
Doesn't matter if he didn't move. He was stopped from moving with DJax. It makes a HUGE difference. His contact DID have an affect. I know it's not the same game, but I play flag football almost every week. When a WR pushes an arm against you, it does make a big difference on what play you can make on the ball.

The argument is not about a call being questionable, the issue is that the calls were questionable at crucial junctures in the game.No delay of game is a big deal.

A 1/2 yard run that was about to be spotted at the 3 inch mark making it 4th and goal but magically turns into a TD as the Ref goes to spot it is a big deal.

a ticky tack push off that negates a TD is a big deal.

A missed holding call when Randel El throws the TD is a HUGE deal.

A phantom holding call that costs the seahawks 30 yds and a 1st and goal is monumental.

Yes every game has mistakes by the Refs, but when one team consistantly comes out on the short end of calls that come at crucial moments in the game, there is reason to complain.
Watch it, some might think you are a Patriot fan in disguise! lolYou always hate to lose because of the Zebras...but it is a true statement of fact that they can change the pace of the game based on their calls.

:popcorn:

No, if you actually pay attention to the replay you'll see that the official reached for the flag and went through the motion of throwing it but missed. He had to reach back down to grab the flag to throw it.

No, if you actually pay attention to the replay you'll see that the official reached for the flag and went through the motion of throwing it but missed. He had to reach back down to grab the flag to throw it.
I noticed that too, he did seem to have trouble getting the flag out.

Check that replay and tell me how many of the Steelers O-lineman were beyond it illegally. I think you'll be surprised.
Ah...good point. Never did look at that, no. I'd ask anyone here with Tivo to let me know if that were true but I'm sure half the crew would say yes and the other half would say no.

Doesn't matter if he didn't move. He was stopped from moving with DJax. It makes a HUGE difference. His contact DID have an affect. I know it's not the same game, but I play flag football almost every week. When a WR pushes an arm against you, it does make a big difference on what play you can make on the ball.
Well, watch the replay again. He was already on his heels when DJ's arm touched him. I can't imagine that if DJ had kept his arms at his side, that the defender would have had any better chance at that ball.

I was rooting for the Steelers, but I was disgusted by the officiating in this game. I have never seen so many bad calls go in one team's favor in a Super Bowl. Whether the result would have been different, we will never know, but it is a shame to see the biggest game of the year be so poorly officiated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread