What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Complain about the officials thread *** (1 Viewer)

Did the refs cost Seattle the game?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Steeler fans call it whinning and complaining but the rest of us football fans call it discussing and questioning.

I could really care less who won this game (I'm a Lions fan with no money on the line) but that DJax call was a horrible joke. Please just admit it Steelers fans.
Whoever said the Pittsburg Oline was illegally downfield on the play where Ben completed to Ward at the 3, good call. Just replayed it on TiVo. 2 guys crossed the line. One barely went over the line and got back, but Max Starks was about a yard past the LOS when Ben threw the ball.
Perfectly legal. It's only illegal if the linemen are more than five yards past the line of scrimmage. (someone will have to check and again and tell us if that happened too)

I agree with those saying there wasn't enough visual evidence to overturn the Roethlisberger TD, but what made it questionable was that the ref ran it to mark it at the 1 (he was raising his arm as if to spot the ball at the 1/2 yard line) and then suddenly signaled touchdown when Roethlisberger put the ball across the goaline with his entire lower body on the ground. That is what made that a bad call, to me anyway.

I could really care less who won this game (I'm a Lions fan with no money on the line) but that DJax call was a horrible joke. Please just admit it Steelers fans.
Whoever said the Pittsburg Oline was illegally downfield on the play where Ben completed to Ward at the 3, good call. Just replayed it on TiVo. 2 guys crossed the line. One barely went over the line and got back, but Max Starks was about a yard past the LOS when Ben threw the ball.
Perfectly legal. It's only illegal if the linemen are more than five yards past the line of scrimmage. (someone will have to check and again and tell us if that happened too)
I don't have it on a DVR, but I was wondering about it during the replay. I could only see 3 linemen when I looked. One was behind the red line. The other two were around 2 yards past the red line from what I could tell.

It is unfortunate that the penalties happened on significant Seattle plays, but that doesn't mean that the penalties were bogus. It's not like the play ended, and five seconds later the flag was thrown.
That is not true. The referee wasn't going for a flag on Jackson's phatom PI call until AFTER Jackson caught the ball and until AFTER the defender started complaining. Only then did the ref move in the direction of his back pocket to pull the flag out.
Your opinion. Not how I saw it. The push happened as the ball is in the air. It does take some time for the referee to actually pull the flag out. Plus, he missed it and grabbed something else (the beanbag) on his first try.No way that was five seconds. Are you suggesting the referee cannot pause momentarily to be more sure of his call?
Watch it again. You can tell he wasn't throwing a flag until he saw Jackson catch the ball and the defender complain. I would bet a million bucks that if Jackson had dropped the ball, no flag would have been thrown.
It is unfortunate that the penalties happened on significant Seattle plays, but that doesn't mean that the penalties were bogus. It's not like the play ended, and five seconds later the flag was thrown.
That is not true. The referee wasn't going for a flag on Jackson's phatom PI call until AFTER Jackson caught the ball and until AFTER the defender started complaining. Only then did the ref move in the direction of his back pocket to pull the flag out.
Wrong.
Wow, what an argument you just made. :rolleyes:
Hey bright guy, read my earlier posts. I'm not rehashing them for you.

Maybe Steeler fans call it whinning and complaining but the rest of us football fans call it discussing and questioning.
It's discussing and questioning when some people do it.When other people want to try and cheapen the win or call these calls blatantly wrong and cry conspiracy, that's whining and complaining.

There's a lot of both going on.

I'm a devote Seattle homer, and the refs had a big impact on the game, but that's not why Seattle lost. They had chances to make plays and didn't.
That's the PC thing to say as a Hawk fan Dave, but I disagree. Seattle got jobbed here.

Watch it again. You can tell he wasn't throwing a flag until he saw Jackson catch the ball and the defender complain. I would bet a million bucks that if Jackson had dropped the ball, no flag would have been thrown.
You know you basically said the same thing you said the first time, but the addition is important, so I'll answer you again.It is not at all uncommon for referees to be forced into making a call factoring in the result of the play. The function of the referees is to prevent a team from gaining an advantage. If there is no advantage, there is often no call. This is particularly true in the NBA or even college basketball. A slight push on a player on his way to the basket may be ignored, because calling it forces the player that was fouled to make two shots rather than the easy dunk/layup. I've seen where that call can be late, made only when the player misses, so that it gives the advantage to the player/team who was fouled.

I'm not saying that was the case here, but I wouldn't automatically call it bad officiating if somehow that is what happens. To me, the more important detail is whether or not there was a push or arm-bar made by Jackson, not the precise reaction time of the official who threw the flag. Unless you are claiming that there was no contact initiated by Jackson in which he gained some advantage, I don't know how you can say the call was incorrect. Borderline, maybe. But not CLEARLY wrong.

Maybe Steeler fans call it whining and complaining but the rest of us football fans call it discussing and questioning.
Sounds reasonable to me. If I'm a Steeler fan, I'm don't begin to try to defend the officiating, b/c it was brutal. All I care about is scoreboard.

1. Pass interference (DJax) that every expert I've heard on tv and radio has said was absurd. Result: Seattle -4pts (FG, no TD).
I haven't heard anyone say it was absurd. Borderline, maybe, but I've seen a play like that called PI plenty of times.
2. DJax TD. Pylon is part of the field. One step, kick pylon, ball crosses plane of goal. TD. But, refs say no. Result: Seattle -7pts.
This is simply false. Discussed in another thread.
3. Phantom hold on the pass to Jeremy Stevens, giving Seattle the ball on the 2 yard line
Now you're just making things up
4. Illegal block on a tackle. Right up there in the pantheon of stupid calls along with the stupid non-INT call on Taz in the Indy game. I don't know what those extra 15 yards does or doesn't do to Pittsburgh's chances to score, but I suspect it helped contribute in some way to the 7 points they chalked up on the Randel El TD.
Agreed that it was dumb, but it's not even within spitting distance of the idiocy of the Pit-Indy calls.
5. Going back to the Roethlisberger TD, I don't think the replay conclusively tells us one thing over the other. All I know is that it's a bit conspicuous that, in addition to all the other critical calls that went against the 'Hawks, the line judge on Ben's TD held up the one hand to mark the spot short of the goal line as he ran towards the pile and then somehow changed his mind that it was a TD, making the onus on any replay even more difficult to over-turn in favor of Seattle.
Yeah, that was weird, but I still think the ball crossed the plane (barely).
Who knows, maybe Bettis busts it in on 4th down, and this discussin is moot. But, put together, it's all a bit disconcerting if you're worried about the integrity of the NFL.
Sorry, but it has to be said: :tinhat:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have it on a DVR, but I was wondering about it during the replay. I could only see 3 linemen when I looked. One was behind the red line. The other two were around 2 yards past the red line from what I could tell.
I found on Wikipedia that it is five yards, not the two yards I claimed earlier. Sorry, wrong again. However, the officials got it right.(I understand that you can't rely on Wikipedia, but it's the best I could find. Until proven otherwise, I'll stick with the five yards.)

I had it on TiVo. Played it slowly and also paused to count linemen. All five linemen were behind the line initially. When Ben ran towards the sideline, 2 linmen crossed the LOS. 3 stayed behind. None ever got more than 3 yards past the LOS. Before Ben threw the ball, 1 got back to the LOS and Starks was about a yard past.

Stevens TD was the result of a Pick, an illegal pick....... not as teeny tiny pick......a huge penalty flag inducing pick.

And The Block in the back on Ben during the interception return was blatantly obvious..........

No Flags on those plays.

Every call we`ve discussed went against the Seahewks. Most of the people in this thread had no rooting interest in the outcome yet still believe there was a problem with the officiating of the game. Congrats to the Steelers but man, the Refs were awful! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Roeth was blocked illegally in the back on the interception return, no call.

I'm a devote Seattle homer, and the refs had a big impact on the game, but that's not why Seattle lost. They had chances to make plays and didn't.
That's the PC thing to say as a Hawk fan Dave, but I disagree. Seattle got jobbed here.
PC, but also correct in this case, even from a Bronco fan.

I had it on TiVo. Played it slowly and also paused to count linemen. All five linemen were behind the line initially. When Ben ran towards the sideline, 2 linmen crossed the LOS. 3 stayed behind. None ever got more than 3 yards past the LOS. Before Ben threw the ball, 1 got back to the LOS and Starks was about a yard past.
Great, thanks. No penalty.(and good coaching by Cowher -- quite a few linemen on other teams wouldn't even have a clue what was going on.)

Stevens TD was the result of a Pick, an illegal pick....... not as teeny tiny pick......a huge penalty flag inducing pick.
No it wasn't.
Looked borderline to me. Just like a lot of borderline calls that went against Seattle.
A pick's only illegal when the picker actually runs into the target of the pick. From what I remember, the WR never made contact with Polamalu. No contact = no pick.

Stevens also fumbled but the ball was whistled dead.....2 steps possesion BOOM
Forgot about that one -- another borderline call, since now you have to make a "football move" (which I've never understood) -- but it could have gone the other way.

PLEASE. EVERYONE STOP.

There was ONE, I repeat ONE terrible call in the game...

Hass's personal foul for the tackle was terrible.

All others were at minimum, debatable or the correct call.

Leave it alone.
And that is exactly what people are doing. They are debating it here.

It most certainly was....do you know what a pick is....madden called it as well
The receivers were too far apart for it to be an illegal pick
Stevens also fumbled but the ball was whistled dead.....2 steps possesion BOOM
Should not have been a whistle. That play should have at least been allowed to play out and go to review. Certainly should have been a fumble.

No it wasn't.
Looked borderline to me. Just like a lot of borderline calls that went against Seattle.
Wasn't boderline....it was a pick.
Not a pick, not even close. Happens all the time. It's perfectly legal to run traffic through a zone. That's how that happened here. Perhaps if Polamalu intentionally runs into Jackson, he could have drawn a flag. As I saw it, Polamalu was more obstructed by his teammate than by Jackson. It's good play design.

I see that a lot, but that isn't me. I'm a rational guy. I don't dwell on stuff that I can't control. Maybe its the coach in me, but whining about calls is pointless. Every team faces adversity. Every team. Yes, even the Steelers. I think they got hosed on the faux non-interception against Indy, but they overcame and won the game.There was only one real head scratching call in the game to me. Its was the Hasselbeck 15 yarder for the illegal block. Yes, Seattle had far more calls go against them, but each was a disputable call. Nothing that was over the top that was obviously wrong.

Did DJax have his hand on the chest of the DB on the TD? Of course he did. You watch the play and you see the DB actually go backwards from the contact. It was right in front of the ref.

I think people are trying to hold the refs to a standard that's too high. These guys are humans and I believe they're trying to do the best they can. There's no conspiracy here. Sure is a lot of :tinfoilhat: though.

Could the calls have gone the other way? Yes, most definitely. Would they have insured a Seattle win? No way. Perhaps, but we'll never know. I find it odd how people assume that Alexander would have certainly scored from the 2 following the Stevens catch to the 2 yard line, but it wasn't a certainty that Bettis or Rothlisberger would have scored on 4th and inches if Big Ben had been marked short.

PLEASE. EVERYONE STOP.

Leave it alone.
No, they're not.A debate would consist of: "I felt that hold was incorrect, because he had the inside of the shoulders...the refs should look more closely. I recognize your point about his right hand ending up *outside* the pads, but I don't feel that contributed to the play."

This thread: "OMG the fix was in!! There's NO WAY that was right, and anyone who disagrees is a stupid poopeyhead!"

See the difference?

I see that a lot, but that isn't me. I'm a rational guy. I don't dwell on stuff that I can't control. Maybe its the coach in me, but whining about calls is pointless. Every team faces adversity. Every team. Yes, even the Steelers. I think they got hosed on the faux non-interception against Indy, but they overcame and won the game.There was only one real head scratching call in the game to me. Its was the Hasselbeck 15 yarder for the illegal block. Yes, Seattle had far more calls go against them, but each was a disputable call. Nothing that was over the top that was obviously wrong.

Did DJax have his hand on the chest of the DB on the TD? Of course he did. You watch the play and you see the DB actually go backwards from the contact. It was right in front of the ref.

I think people are trying to hold the refs to a standard that's too high. These guys are humans and I believe they're trying to do the best they can. There's no conspiracy here. Sure is a lot of :tinfoilhat: though.

Could the calls have gone the other way? Yes, most definitely. Would they have insured a Seattle win? No way. Perhaps, but we'll never know. I find it odd how people assume that Alexander would have certainly scored from the 2 following the Stevens catch to the 2 yard line, but it wasn't a certainty that Bettis or Rothlisberger would have scored on 4th and inches if Big Ben had been marked short.
Classy words, Shick!Congrats on a great year for the Seahawks, and good luck claiming a championship sometime in the next few years. I think there's every reason to believe this was the first of multiple trips to the big game.

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: The voice of reason. You should start a thread with this post just so everyone can read it.

If it matters, watching NFL Network and Lincoln Kennedy just commented on the holding call on Loclear where the Stevens catch at the 2 was called back. "Locklear got beat and he doesn't get away with the takedown here." I'm no expert, but I assume Kennedy is.

What a bunch of whiners... Blaming the refs? C'mon!!! The Seahawks made ONE play tonight, which was the interception at the goal line. Had that interception not happened, I'd not be responding to this thread.

The better team won. They played like crap, but they still won.

I thought the officiating was rather good tonight. Cry all you want about holding calls, but they weren't bad calls. DJax also pushed off. Had the calls went the other way, we'd be reading 1000 posts from Steeler fans about the refs. Bottom line - it's hard to accept defeat, and you look for anything to make you feel better. Be happy you were in the game, and be happy Pittsburgh didn't play well, or it could have been 41-21.

PLEASE. EVERYONE STOP.

Leave it alone.
No, they're not.A debate would consist of: "I felt that hold was incorrect, because he had the inside of the shoulders...the refs should look more closely. I recognize your point about his right hand ending up *outside* the pads, but I don't feel that contributed to the play."

This thread: "OMG the fix was in!! There's NO WAY that was right, and anyone who disagrees is a stupid poopeyhead!"

See the difference?
Thanks Keys.I like it when someone stands up for me NOT being a poopeyhead.

PLEASE. EVERYONE STOP.

Leave it alone.

See the difference?
Thanks Keys.I like it when someone stands up for me NOt being a poopeyhead.
:lol:

Good luck next year! There's no team in the NFL outside of Pittsburgh I'll be rooting more for.

PLEASE. EVERYONE STOP.

Leave it alone.

See the difference?
Well, I gave up seriously expecting that level of debate here some time ago.

PLEASE. EVERYONE STOP.

Leave it alone.

See the difference?
It happens, surprisingly. You just have to ignore certain posters, and just talk to those who are willing to listen to people who have different opinions.They're out there.

Maybe its the coach in me, but whining about calls is pointless.
I disagree. I think to get the most out of yourself, you need to be completely honest with yourself. If you rationalize away things for whatever reason, you are not allowing yourself to see the real picture as you know it to be and in the end are only shortchanging your own efforts. And it can only compound your problems.

There were two Seattle fans and 8 guys who had money on the Steelers at the SB party I was at.. Everyone of them thought Seattle got grossly jobbed.

It wasn't just the obvious calls, it was also the returns where Seattle would get the ball to the 40 and suddenly there was a marginal hold that would put the ball at the 15.

DESPICABLE

FWIW, Mike Florio, probably the writer I have the utmost respect for in regards to football, agrees with those who believe Seattle got jobbed.

There are a few here saying that Seattle "shoulda coulda woulda," which I don't agree with. But I think you are absolutely fooling yourself if you don't believe that referee calls had a HUGE part in this game.

POSTED 12:18 a.m. EST; UPDATED 12:39 a.m. EST, February 6, 2006

'HAWKS HAVE RIGHT TO CRY FOUL

We'll need to preface these remarks by saying that we're glad the Steelers won the Super Bowl. The Steelers are a first-class organization in a first-rate town. Yours truly grew up an hour from the 'Burgh, went to college there, and started out in the practice of law there.

And the Steelers earned this one, the hard way. Sixth seed, winning three games against quality teams on the road to get to the championship game.

With all that said, the Seattle Seahawks have every right to believe that they got screwed by the zebras. We're into our fifth year now, and this game provoked the biggest flood of e-mails we've ever received.

So as we raise a lukewarm plastic cup of Iron City to the Stillers, we have to agree that the game was poorly officiated, in various ways. Although we're reluctant to proclaim that the fix was in, Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter's pissing-and-moaning from three weeks ago is ironic, to say the least, following a Super Bowl in which any of the 53 men in the Seattle locker room would be able to make the same claim about the refs wanting Jerome Bettis and the Steelers to win that Porter made regarding his belief that the officials hoped to deliver Peyton Manning and the Colts to Detroit.

Here's a sampling of the e-mails that flooded our box:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htmA few pretty interesting reads there if you are curious.

There were two Seattle fans and 8 guys who had money on the Steelers at the SB party I was at.. Everyone of them thought Seattle got grossly jobbed.

It wasn't just the obvious calls, it was also the returns where Seattle would get the ball to the 40 and suddenly there was a marginal hold that would put the ball at the 15.

DESPICABLE
What is "DESPICABLE" exactly?

DESPICABLE
I saw clearly on one of the returns that the reason the return was so good was because of a hold/illegal block.Surely you've watched enough NFL games to see that 1) holding and blocks in the back happen a lot during punt returns, and 2) many long returns are called back due to penalties.

Sorry, but your happy gang of ten aren't the only ones who watched the game and have an opinion on it.

PLEASE. EVERYONE STOP.

Leave it alone.

See the difference?
Thanks Keys.I like it when someone stands up for me NOT being a poopeyhead.
Well, I don't think he said you weren't a poopeyhead, I think he just said it wasn't right for anyone to call you that. :D

PLEASE. EVERYONE STOP.

Leave it alone.

See the difference?
It happens, surprisingly. You just have to ignore certain posters, and just talk to those who are willing to listen to people who have different opinions.They're out there.
I think its more like an internet thing than anything else. The feeling of anonymity (sp?) let's people feel at ease being emotional. And people like being emotional. Those that I find that are willing to debate things more rationally I try to keep close.

FWIW, Mike Florio, probably the writer I have the utmost respect for in regards to football, agrees with those who believe Seattle got jobbed.
A sportswriter authors an article that is sure to raise controversy and gain him notoriety. Shocking!

There are a few here saying that Seattle "shoulda coulda woulda," which I don't agree with. But I think you are absolutely fooling yourself if you don't believe that referee calls had a HUGE part in this game.

POSTED 12:18 a.m. EST; UPDATED 12:39 a.m. EST, February 6, 2006

'HAWKS HAVE RIGHT TO CRY FOUL

We'll need to preface these remarks by saying that we're glad the Steelers won the Super Bowl.  The Steelers are a first-class organization in a first-rate town.  Yours truly grew up an hour from the 'Burgh, went to college there, and started out in the practice of law there. 

And the Steelers earned this one, the hard way.  Sixth seed, winning three games against quality teams on the road to get to the championship game. 

With all that said, the Seattle Seahawks have every right to believe that they got screwed by the zebras.  We're into our fifth year now, and this game provoked the biggest flood of e-mails we've ever received.

So as we raise a lukewarm plastic cup of Iron City to the Stillers, we have to agree that the game was poorly officiated, in various ways.  Although we're reluctant to proclaim that the fix was in, Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter's pissing-and-moaning from three weeks ago is ironic, to say the least, following a Super Bowl in which any of the 53 men in the Seattle locker room would be able to make the same claim about the refs wanting Jerome Bettis and the Steelers to win that Porter made regarding his belief that the officials hoped to deliver Peyton Manning and the Colts to Detroit.

Here's a sampling of the e-mails that flooded our box:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htmA few pretty interesting reads there if you are curious.
Funny, I'm still wondering how anyone can look at Darrell Jackson's push-off and NOT call it PI when he completely extended his arm right in front of the official.And I'm still wondering how Locklear's holding call is even questionable when he was at Haggans' side, beaten around the end, and grabbing with his right arm.

Calls went both ways...

Roethlisberger was blocked in the back on the INT return, which would've dropped the ball back to the 40 yard line instead of around the 20. Not called, but no one cares.

Stevens clearly caught the ball, took 2 steps, turned, and then fumbled in the first half. Whistle blown, dead ball, no fumble.

Yes this game has clearly crossed a tolerance threshhold for bad officiating. The outrage I am seeing everywhere I go on the internet is unlike anything I have ever seen for any sporting event ever.

I think its more like an internet thing than anything else. The feeling of anonymity (sp?) let's people feel at ease being emotional. And people like being emotional. Those that I find that are willing to debate things more rationally I try to keep close.
And you are just the hallmark of rationality and objectivity, especially when the Steelers are involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread