What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pearl Jam Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Anyone know anything about the Camden show. How far is it from NYC and is it a nice venue. What happens if you get lawn seats and it rains? Trying to decide if I should get tix for this and one NYC show

Anyone know anything about the Camden show. How far is it from NYC and is it a nice venue. What happens if you get lawn seats and it rains? Trying to decide if I should get tix for this and one NYC show
It is a pretty standard outdoor amphitheatre setup (similar to PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ/Meadows in CT). Area right around the venue is OK, but try not to get lost, especially when leaving the venue late night. If it rains and you're on the lawn, you get wet.Personally, have tickets for MSG1 and going to try through TM for MSG2. Camden crowd is a good one, but we're talking MSG here. Also, from my experience, it would likely be easier to get tickets day of show for Camden, as there always seem to be people who have them due to someone backing out...just be patient and look around and don't get nervous and pay scalper prices.HTH

It is a pretty standard outdoor amphitheatre setup (similar to PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ/Meadows in CT). Area right around the venue is OK, but try not to get lost, especially when leaving the venue late night. If it rains and you're on the lawn, you get wet.Personally, have tickets for MSG1 and going to try through TM for MSG2. Camden crowd is a good one, but we're talking MSG here. Also, from my experience, it would likely be easier to get tickets day of show for Camden, as there always seem to be people who have them due to someone backing out...just be patient and look around and don't get nervous and pay scalper prices.HTH
Got Lawn seats for Camden. That was the best available :sadbanana: Hoping its a beautiful night with PJ and not raining

Got Lawn seats for Camden. That was the best available :thumbup: Hoping its a beautiful night with PJ and not raining
I went to Camden last time around. I was anticipating MSG, but damn if they didn't they put on a GREAT show. Vedder actually talked about CD sales in Philly being so disproportionately high that their record label and marketing guys couldn't figure it out, seriously. He/they don't talk about stuff like that but it was such a statistic anomaly he wanted to bring it up to thank the fans from there...and it showed in their performance.I think you're in for a treat; they remember those things.

Got Lawn seats for Camden. That was the best available :popcorn: Hoping its a beautiful night with PJ and not raining
I went to Camden last time around. I was anticipating MSG, but damn if they didn't they put on a GREAT show. Vedder actually talked about CD sales in Philly being so disproportionately high that their record label and marketing guys couldn't figure it out, seriously. He/they don't talk about stuff like that but it was such a statistic anomaly he wanted to bring it up to thank the fans from there...and it showed in their performance.I think you're in for a treat; they remember those things.
:sweet:

Not the greatest seats for Night 2 (Section 329), but I'm in the building. Can always sell them if I get a better offer.

10C has spoiled me!

But, overall, a good day. Radiohead pre-sale and PJ in one day.

Big Blue, or anybody for that matter, did you get Radiohead tickets? I sure didn't.

Sean Penn and McCready were at last night's show in Berkeley. Vedder played for almost 3 hours. Buddy, who's been to every show, says each is better than the last. I'm callin' a Jack Johnson appearance in SB...McCready too.

Another friend thinks the whole band might roll out at The Wiltern. Says he's seen some tickets go for 800, so he thinks word is out or something. That would be sick -- Pearl Jam at The Wiltern. Jesus.

I'll be on the road by this time tomorrow. :clap:

Big Blue, or anybody for that matter, did you get Radiohead tickets? I sure didn't.

Sean Penn and McCready were at last night's show in Berkeley. Vedder played for almost 3 hours. Buddy, who's been to every show, says each is better than the last. I'm callin' a Jack Johnson appearance in SB...McCready too.

Another friend thinks the whole band might roll out at The Wiltern. Says he's seen some tickets go for 800, so he thinks word is out or something. That would be sick -- Pearl Jam at The Wiltern. Jesus.

I'll be on the road by this time tomorrow. :moneybag:
Both days? I only have tickets to Sunday.

It is a pretty standard outdoor amphitheatre setup (similar to PNC Bank Arts Center in NJ/Meadows in CT). Area right around the venue is OK, but try not to get lost, especially when leaving the venue late night. If it rains and you're on the lawn, you get wet.Personally, have tickets for MSG1 and going to try through TM for MSG2. Camden crowd is a good one, but we're talking MSG here. Also, from my experience, it would likely be easier to get tickets day of show for Camden, as there always seem to be people who have them due to someone backing out...just be patient and look around and don't get nervous and pay scalper prices.

HTH
Got Lawn seats for Camden. That was the best available :goodposting: Hoping its a beautiful night with PJ and not raining
That was a great show. Hoping to land 4 tix for MSG2...

I'll be on the road by this time tomorrow. :mellow:
Scored two in the Pit for Camden (Philly). So, its shaping up to be a good summer so far. Two PJ, two Radiohead (AWP and Camden), and Springsteen. Let's hope there are some other events worth going to.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll be on the road by this time tomorrow. :mellow:
Wow.

I'll be on the road by this time tomorrow. :blackdot:
Both days? I only have tickets to Sunday.
No idea, just speculation/rumor. It is the biggest venue on this Vedder tour...If they showed Saturday, Sunday would be a madhouse. :rolleyes:

Did any of you guys go last night? If so, reviews? Set list (from what you can remember)?
Setlist per PJ message board:
Main Set: (Piano Interlude)/Walking The Cow, Around The Bend, I Am Mine, Dead Man Walking, Throw Your Arms Around Me, Setting Forth, Guaranteed, No Ceiling, Her Majesty (The Beatles)*, Far Behind, Rise, Millworker, UCSB Letter (Poem)**, Goodbye, Broken Heart, You're True, Driftin’, You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, Trouble, I Won't Back Down, Forever Young, Porch 1st Encore: Society, Lukin, No More (with Ben Harper) 2nd Encore: Hard Sun (with Liam Finn, Eliza Jane Barnes and Ben Harper

Talk about being stupid. I thought MSG tix went on sale at 12 today. I logged in at 11 and all they had was behind the stage. I love PJ but I am not spending close to 200 bucks without travel expense to sit behind the stage. I guess all I have is Camden

Got 6 tickets for the Virginia Beach show on June 17. My wife is disabled, but this is one of the fringe benefits - we got 2 tickets in the handicapped section, which is front row orchestra right up front. :rolleyes:

My buddy and I saw in the second level behind the stage for night 2 at MSG in 1998 and they were surprisingly good seats. Great views of the band and the crowd and Ed always plays to the folks behind the stage....if I remember correctly, he sang All Those Yesterdays facing the fans behind the stage...Also, MP3s for the 4/7 Berkeley show are posted on the Pit...if they get taken down before y'all find this post, send me a PM and I'll try to send you the files. VERY good quality for an audience recording

Talk about being stupid. I thought MSG tix went on sale at 12 today. I logged in at 11 and all they had was behind the stage. I love PJ but I am not spending close to 200 bucks without travel expense to sit behind the stage. I guess all I have is Camden

Did any of you guys go last night? If so, reviews? Set list (from what you can remember)?
Was lucky enough to be at the Santa barbara show...Beautiful town, beautiful theater, great show all the way around...Met up with SLBD and some buddies of his and we had some brews on his hotel's deck, looking out on the Pacific...SLBD is good peeps...We then grabbed some dinner and some brews at a local bar...It was about 30 mins until showtime, so we called a cab and waited outside...as the cab (van) rolled up, everyone decided to have one more shot at the bar across the street...I didn't want the cab to leave, so I sat inside as the others hit the bar...All of a sudden SLBD comes flying out of the bar and up to the van with a shot of Jack for me...:hey:Was much appreciated, and ####### hilarious, especially with all the bartenders/bouncers screaming "No, no,no" behind him...Was lucky to have amazing seats...5th row dead center...Couldn't have been better...Ed began on a piano in the corner of the upper balcony before rapelling down to the stageAwesome entranceThe setlist was solid all the way around...loved to hear I am Mine and Around off the bat, all the great ITW stuff, plus truly rocking accoustic versions of Porch and Lukin!Had a really great time, staggered back wasted at like 2 AM, and slept until noon:shrug: to SLBD and his buds for showing this NYC boy some West Coast love

Tremendous Upside said:
Was lucky enough to be at the Santa barbara show...Beautiful town, beautiful theater, great show all the way around...Met up with SLBD and some buddies of his and we had some brews on his hotel's deck, looking out on the Pacific...SLBD is good peeps...We then grabbed some dinner and some brews at a local bar...It was about 30 mins until showtime, so we called a cab and waited outside...as the cab (van) rolled up, everyone decided to have one more shot at the bar across the street...I didn't want the cab to leave, so I sat inside as the others hit the bar...All of a sudden SLBD comes flying out of the bar and up to the van with a shot of Jack for me...:shrug:Was much appreciated, and ####### hilarious, especially with all the bartenders/bouncers screaming "No, no,no" behind him...Was lucky to have amazing seats...5th row dead center...Couldn't have been better...Ed began on a piano in the corner of the upper balcony before rapelling down to the stageAwesome entranceThe setlist was solid all the way around...loved to hear I am Mine and Around off the bat, all the great ITW stuff, plus truly rocking accoustic versions of Porch and Lukin!Had a really great time, staggered back wasted at like 2 AM, and slept until noon:popcorn: to SLBD and his buds for showing this NYC boy some West Coast love
Sounds great! Thanks for posting that.My wife and I will be at the Wiltern tomorrow night...

Tremendous Upside said:
Was lucky enough to be at the Santa barbara show...Beautiful town, beautiful theater, great show all the way around...Met up with SLBD and some buddies of his and we had some brews on his hotel's deck, looking out on the Pacific...SLBD is good peeps...We then grabbed some dinner and some brews at a local bar...It was about 30 mins until showtime, so we called a cab and waited outside...as the cab (van) rolled up, everyone decided to have one more shot at the bar across the street...I didn't want the cab to leave, so I sat inside as the others hit the bar...All of a sudden SLBD comes flying out of the bar and up to the van with a shot of Jack for me...:lmao:Was much appreciated, and ####### hilarious, especially with all the bartenders/bouncers screaming "No, no,no" behind him...Was lucky to have amazing seats...5th row dead center...Couldn't have been better...Ed began on a piano in the corner of the upper balcony before rapelling down to the stageAwesome entranceThe setlist was solid all the way around...loved to hear I am Mine and Around off the bat, all the great ITW stuff, plus truly rocking accoustic versions of Porch and Lukin!Had a really great time, staggered back wasted at like 2 AM, and slept until noon:goodposting: to SLBD and his buds for showing this NYC boy some West Coast love
Sounds great! Thanks for posting that.My wife and I will be at the Wiltern tomorrow night...
Just pmailed you if you wanna have a drink or something.I'm with too many people tonight for it to work for me, but if I were you I'd go early. There are some Pearl Jam people upgrading tickets to first and second row. If you say you're in the fan club they won't do it (because those are already great seats). I guess they think if you're considerate enough to check out Liam Finn and stuff, they appreciate it and hook you up. My friend and his wife were buying posters or shirts and stuff when some guy asked if they were in the fan club. They said no, (even though they were), and the guy gave him front row right there. He knew to say no because he had heard they were doing this, so it's obviously not some one time thing. Anyway, worth a try, good luck.I'm buzzed, hope that made sense. :thumbup:

Listening through the Berkley show (which is all fantastic by the way), and I think my favorite song so far is Millworker. Eddie just does a great job with covers. I wish I was able to be there, but I'm thankful I get to hear at least one show.

Thanks for the link TF :thumbdown:

Millworker is one of Ed's best cover performances, imo, and I love the song.He nails it every time and this version is probably the best I've heard with the extended outro.... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Listening through the Berkley show (which is all fantastic by the way), and I think my favorite song so far is Millworker. Eddie just does a great job with covers. I wish I was able to be there, but I'm thankful I get to hear at least one show. Thanks for the link TF :thumbup:

One thing I was really impressed with at the Santa Barbara show, and was reinforced by the Berkeley boot, is how far Ed has come as a guitar player...

He really has some chops these days beyond the most basic if basic chord structures...

He threw in some flamenco flourishes, some finger picking, some high speed, high intensity ripping...

All in all VERY impressed by his guitar playing these days...

Tremendous Upside said:
One thing I was really impressed with at the Santa Barbara show, and was reinforced by the Berkeley boot, is how far Ed has come as a guitar player...

He really has some chops these days beyond the most basic if basic chord structures...

He threw in some flamenco flourishes, some finger picking, some high speed, high intensity ripping...

All in all VERY impressed by his guitar playing these days...
:lmao: NDLS.Haven't been around because we got rooms at the Roosevelt for the Wiltern shows, which were a blast. So far, my favorite is probably the first night at The Wiltern, but I have yet to go through setlists or boots so that will likely change. Canada Mike preferred the 2nd Wiltern, so everybody's different. SB was a more intimate type show with the people/vibe and it being at the Arlington. I know some 10Cers were not happy with some of the crowd/noise at The Wiltern but whatever. Regardless, I expect to see some epic shows in San Diego because of his background there. Some of my favorites of the past, especially the last one at Cox.

Leaving soon so no time for a real review, sorry. Off topic but the pool scene at The Roosevelt hotel is better than any in Vegas, seriously. Talent littered the place; hot girls wanting to get discovered, seen, or see someone famous...whatever, it was ridiculous. Anyway, highly recommended.

I really doubt it but a buddy who did some kind of work with the band said Vedder will do some Seattle show(s) at the end. Again, I'll believe it when I see it but thought I'd mention.

Oh, it was cool seeing Jack Irons out there; he was getting into it. Had his drums on the side of Ed instead of behind so you could see him well. What if he had never met Vedder?...

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Mr. Vedder goes to Hollywood – and scores

Review: Eschewing obvious Pearl Jam signposts, Eddie Vedder focused on his film music and influences for a riveting, revealing performance in Tinseltown.

By BEN WENER

The Orange County Register

Comments 0 | Recommend 5

There are acoustic shows and there are acoustic shows – and then there's the lengthy, inspired and inspiring performance Eddie Vedder gave Saturday night at the Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles, which is a breed apart.

There are precedents for it, sure – Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen and Ray Davies, to name just a few forebears, have all done something similar in this same venue, Elvis Costello and Ed-friend Pete Townshend at places nearby. Vedder's living-room setup here (giant speakers behind him, a reel-to-reel player to his left, travel cases at his feet), to say nothing of the relaxed but often intense atmosphere of this encounter, certainly suggests he has learned much from studying their examples.

Yet Vedder has placed his own spin on this storyteller routine, as befits the first-ever solo tour from the increasingly iconic Pearl Jam frontman. (The mere 10-date West Coast run wraps with shows Tuesday and Wednesday at San Diego's Spreckels Theater.)

He has made solo appearances before, of course – often in L.A. He turned up at a tribute to the Ramones at the Avalon, a benefit for tsunami victims in 2005 at the Wiltern, and he served up a fairly full-length solo set at Royce Hall when Sonic Youth curated All Tomorrow's Parties at UCLA earlier this decade. But Vedder, 43, seems clearly aware of the aura of prestige that surrounds this particular run, enhancing it via custom-designed playbills spotlighting both Vedder's causes (freeing the West Memphis Three, saving Trestles, bringing an end to the Iraq War) and the various accomplishments of everyone involved in the tour, including opening act Liam Finn.

Which of his own credits Vedder chose to highlight, however, speaks to the sort of two-hour-plus performances he gave Saturday. Pearl Jam might as well be a footnote. Instead, his biography cites his film work, from cameos in "Singles" and "Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story" to, more importantly, his contributions to soundtracks, leading to last year's widely regarded work for Sean Penn's adaptation of the free-spirit saga "Into the Wild," the impetus for this outing.

Thus, rather than this evening being a survey of past glories dappled by a few new bits (as a Young or Springsteen gig would be), Vedder's set cautiously avoided easy nostalgia and simple crowd-elating pleasures by focusing on his developing body of work apart from Pearl Jam.

Not that PJ's catalog went unrepresented; Vedder just selected songs wisely. The peacefulness of "Around the Bend," the fierce independence of "I Am Mine," the anti-materialism of "Drifting," the poignancy of "Man of the Hour" and the ukulele ditty "Soon Forget," the frustration of "Porch" – all of them contributed to a thematic whole, perfectly complementing the stretch of similarly inclined "Into the Wild" material, placed as centerpiece. (He also finally received his Golden Globe for it, in a surprise moment that seemed to embarrass him.)

In doing so, Vedder somewhat deterred the usual Pearl Jam crazies from singing along to every utterance, though he did have to quell their enthusiasm at the outset. Noticing that the entire audience leapt to its feet upon his arrival – and showed no signs of settling in for the night – Vedder interrupted the first verse of his opening cover of Daniel Johnston's "Walking the Cow" to ensure the right mood was being set. "The thing that's nice about a theater," he pointed out, "is that you can all sit down and relax. That's why I put on the coat."

And still segments of the crowd insisted on being obnoxious, incessantly hollering out requests between songs, at times interrupting his tales and quips (and dead-on Matt Dillon impersonation) with unintelligible hosannas. I was gratefully in a quieter, more reverent section, but this was Dave Matthews at the Pantages all over again, with fans unable to draw the distinction between an arena experience where overcome excitement is welcome and an intimate gathering where respect for the artist and the atmosphere is a must. Makes me disappointed with my generation – you'd never see this sort of poor behavior at a Springsteen acoustic gig.

What (mostly) shut 'em up were illuminating moments when Vedder shared songs by his influences, many of them learned from films, or redone for the movies (like his handling of the Beatles' "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," from "I Am Sam"). He recalled how he came to know Cat Stevens, for instance: "You couldn't get a 'Harold & Maude' soundtrack. You had to get four or five Cat Stevens records and make one yourself." Then he paid homage with back-to-back covers, a soulful "Trouble" and, on banjo, a rousing "If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out."

That also left me wondering if his elegiac rendition of Dylan's "Forever Young" wasn't learned from "The Last Waltz." The Bard's "Masters of War," however, here delivered with matter-of-fact coldness, has been in Vedder's playbook for so long now, some fans react as if he wrote it.

Other nods to formative songwriters this night also stayed on point: the rural impressionism of James Taylor's "Millworker," the exuberant release and stoic defiance of Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down," the rebelliousness of Springsteen's "Growin' Up," the passionate romance of Neil Finn's "Throw Your Arms Around Me," performed as a duet with Liam. (Townshend's "Love Reign O'er Me" was conspicuously absent, but the Who giant's sense of melody and guitar playing, along with Finn's chord structuring, is evident in virtually all of the "Into the Wild" songs.) (Correction:"Throw Your Arms," written by Mark Seymour, belongs to the Australian band Hunters & Collectors. I learned it from Finn, and forget that it's one of few regular covers in his repertoire.)

It was, in subtler than suspected ways, a tour de force – an opportunity for Vedder, in that distinctive, deeply resonant baritone of his, to open up about himself and his outlook on life without ever getting too heavy-handed about it. The surfer may sing "Masters of War" with as much venom as anyone who has ever tried, but for all his outspokenness, his journey remains an inward progression. Fix this crazy world, yes, he seems to say – but find yourself first.

Liam Finn, justifiably garnering acclaim for his do-it-yourself debut ("I'll Be Lightning") and his one-man-band performances, was an ideal opener and assistant to Vedder on "Wild" stuff like "Society" and "Hard Sun." But for all his obvious instrumental talent and skill at generating loops to conjure a bigger sound, there was something about his set that left me wanting.

Once the New Zealander layered on all the parts and made space for accompanist Eliza Jane Barnes, many of his songs were invigorating – yet the building process can be laborious to watch again and again. As grew to be the case with Jack White, I'm already longing to see what Finn may someday do with a proper band behind him.

LINK

Later... :bag:

PJ b-sides site

Rarities, b-sides, demos, etc...just ran across it and thought it may be of interest to those who did not know about it (like me:)
I thought I had everything, but that was a great link. I grabbed pretty much everything, b/c I bet some stuff will not last long (like Birdman sessions) :thumbup:
How did you guys download those? Every time I click a song it goes straight to quicktime and plays it. I'm on a macbook, btw.

PJ b-sides site

Rarities, b-sides, demos, etc...just ran across it and thought it may be of interest to those who did not know about it (like me:)
I thought I had everything, but that was a great link. I grabbed pretty much everything, b/c I bet some stuff will not last long (like Birdman sessions) :thumbup:
How did you guys download those? Every time I click a song it goes straight to quicktime and plays it. I'm on a macbook, btw.
Right click, save link as. Worked for me on XP.

PJ b-sides site

I thought I had everything, but that was a great link. I grabbed pretty much everything, b/c I bet some stuff will not last long (like Birdman sessions) :lmao:
Ctrl+click on mac, download to file

TF, are you going to both Camden shows?

Now I'm thinking I might trek down there for the Camden II on Friday night...

I am going to see REM/Modest Mouse/The National at the GArden the night before, and have Friday off anyway, so I;'m thinking a 90 minute train ride, afternoon in Philly, PJ show and then train ride back wouldn't be the worst way to spend a Friday night in June...

Tremendous Upside said:
TF, are you going to both Camden shows?Now I'm thinking I might trek down there for the Camden II on Friday night...I am going to see REM/Modest Mouse/The National at the GArden the night before, and have Friday off anyway, so I;'m thinking a 90 minute train ride, afternoon in Philly, PJ show and then train ride back wouldn't be the worst way to spend a Friday night in June...
Definitely going to both Camden shows (do have a 2% out clause with the wife depending on some pregnancy stuff we're dealing with...but my tickets are purchased and a flight is booked). Going 1st night with Zilla and 2nd night with Red. You might want to get in touch with Zilla as he was debating on the 2nd show but didn't want to sit alone.ETA: Isn't REM playing in Camden on Wed? You can hit up that and both shows if you plan accordingly

Tremendous Upside said:
TF, are you going to both Camden shows?Now I'm thinking I might trek down there for the Camden II on Friday night...I am going to see REM/Modest Mouse/The National at the GArden the night before, and have Friday off anyway, so I;'m thinking a 90 minute train ride, afternoon in Philly, PJ show and then train ride back wouldn't be the worst way to spend a Friday night in June...
Definitely going to both Camden shows (do have a 2% out clause with the wife depending on some pregnancy stuff we're dealing with...but my tickets are purchased and a flight is booked). Going 1st night with Zilla and 2nd night with Red. You might want to get in touch with Zilla as he was debating on the 2nd show but didn't want to sit alone.ETA: Isn't REM playing in Camden on Wed? You can hit up that and both shows if you plan accordingly
No, I'm seeing REM in NYC at MSG on Thurs the 19th...So with Fri off, hitting Camden would be pretty easy...I actually didn't realize how easy it is to get from Philly to the venue...Basically public transportation right there from Philly

saw into the wild the other night. decent movie, but the i've never seen a movie before where the soundtrack really made the movie better and helped tell the story. vedder did a bang up job there

So I'm sitting here at work, mired in tedium, blasting some PJ in SF '06 when Yellow Ledbetter comes on...

It's pretty amazing that a song as popular and well known as YL (both to fans and even non fans) doesn't even have a full known lyric, and EV is constantly changing/altering them as he goes along...

I couldn't think of any other example of this...

Anyone have any ideas?

5 weeks left til PJ!

So now I'm home doing work and PJ Touring Band 2000 is keeping me sane

You know what's a really underrated PJ song, IMO?

Untitled

Just a beautiful little piece of Americana...Sounds like it could have come off of Springsteen's Nebraska or something similar

IMO PJ did it a disservice by not giving it a title

:goodposting: the version they did at the Garden 7/9/03 where Eddie Calls Johnny Ramone after "I Believe in Miracles" and Johnny's not home

I like Untitled off the one live album (name escapes me it's been so long) they put out but it's too short. Great melody too.

PJ b-sides site

This site is off the hook WOW. Everything just right there.Very important questions:

What exactly off the Birdman Sessions and Gossman Demos do I need to download? Everything?

Is there anyway to determine the show of the Signature Live songs?

Users who are viewing this thread