What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The OFFICIAL 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
Didn't see a thread on this kid... at 25yo, this is the year I think the really starts to emerge into something special. The Red Sox have him in the pullpen due to a lack of rotation slot, but I think he'll have one by midseason....as soon as Hansen is ready in AAA or Foulke gets his #### together (not holding my breath).

For those who've not seen this kid pitch... make an effort to. He's one of the top emerging arms in the game (in my homer opinion).... he's earned the nickname "the animal" for his high-intensity antics on the mound and for the fact that he's just not afraid of anyone up there.

So far this year: 2 appearances.. both 1-2-3 innings. 3Ks.

Last night was interesting because he earned his first save.. Tito went with him in the Bot. 9th with the Sox holding a precarious 1 run lead. Absolute nails. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
foulke is a mess right now. The sox need someone with good stuff and the makeup to close. good gamble giving the kid a shot. maybe he runs with it

I haven't heard anyone call him "The Animal" yet, but I guess I'll take your word for it.

Hey, someone should start the ***Official*** 2006 Red Sox thread for this kind of thing.

That was a nice performance last night. Two strikeouts, and the only contact was a popup just outside the infield dirt. 8 of 11 pitches were 95+ MPH. 8 of 11 were strikes, and a ninth one was a nasty pitch at the bottom of the strike zone that had been called a strike on the previous pitch.

Remy was saying that he got the look because he had been warming up in the 8th, and that gave Tito an out with the media the next day when explaining why Foulke didn't get the save. "Well, Papelbon was already warm..."

But Francona's comments were actually more like, "Well, we'd told Foulke that the only way Papelbon would get the ball was if we had Beckett through 7, Timlin in the 8th, and Papelbon in the 9th. Otherwise, Foulke was coming in. This is the only way that would have happened".

In other words, Francona's going to play games for a while before deciding who the closer is. Fantasy baseballers beware - this may not be a good time to trade him or trade for him, because he may be a lot cheaper once Foulke gets a save op, but you're not going to get closer value for him if you're trading him, either.

I haven't heard anyone call him "The Animal" yet, but I guess I'll take your word for it.

Hey, someone should start the ***Official*** 2006 Red Sox thread for this kind of thing.
I agree if we're going to talk about the Red Sox, we should try to keep it in a couple of threads this year. This seems more like a fantasy baseball thread than a Red Sox thread - there's a possible new stud closer out there, who people should be watching.

I agree if we're going to talk about the Red Sox, we should try to keep it in a couple of threads this year. This seems more like a fantasy baseball thread than a Red Sox thread - there's a possible new stud closer out there, who people should be watching.
Sorry if it comes off like that. I was actually just wanting to talk about this kid from a non-fantasy-centric perspective... just follow his progress through the year. That said if you guys want to just swap this over to a full Red Sox thread that works great for me. :thumbup:

I think he'll be in the starting rotation as soon as Clement starts his slide. But I do like him as a closer, too.

]

Sorry if it comes off like that. I was actually just wanting to talk about this kid from a non-fantasy-centric perspective... just follow his progress through the year. That said if you guys want to just swap this over to a full Red Sox thread that works great for me. :thumbup:
Question -- how long are you going to keep that horrible cartoon in your sig?

This is complete wishful thinking on my part, but could you imagine the Sox rotation if Clemens decides to come back to Boston (reasonable possibility)?

Schilling

Clemens

Beckett

Clement

Papelbon

Wakefield >> the pen

:eek: :excited:

Slim chance... but damn that rotation with our offense would be just plain sick

,Apr 6 2006, 10:13 AM]

Question -- how long are you going to keep that horrible cartoon in your sig?
Until you can go 6 months without asking about it :D

]This is complete wishful thinking on my part, but could you imagine the Sox rotation if Clemens decides to come back to Boston (reasonable possibility)?

Schilling

Clemens

Beckett

Clement

Papelbon

Wakefield >> the pen

It's hard enough to cheer for Tavarez. I don't want to have to get behind Clemens too. :thumbdown:

]This is complete wishful thinking on my part, but could you imagine the Sox rotation if Clemens decides to come back to Boston (reasonable possibility)?

Schilling

Clemens

Beckett

Clement

Papelbon

Wakefield >> the pen

Don't they all throw around the same stuff? I like Wake in there to mix it up.

,Apr 6 2006, 10:21 AM]This is complete wishful thinking on my part, but could you imagine the Sox rotation if Clemens decides to come back to Boston (reasonable possibility)?

Schilling

Clemens

Beckett

Clement

Papelbon

Wakefield >> the pen

It's hard enough to cheer for Tavarez. I don't want to have to get behind Clemens too. :thumbdown:
Because of the korean joke?Please..... :rolleyes:

9 Members: [icon], Green94, Fodasme69, bialczabub, broncofan13000, eoMMan, dutch, Wu-banger, Stonedog

This should be interesting :bye:

Red Sox irrational exuberance is always so predictable.

Last night on the news: "Josh Beckett gets first win for the Red Sox. Pedro Martinez and Curt Schilling won their first games when they joined the Red Sox too."

:lmao:

I drafted Papelbon late in my fantasy league. I don't think Foulke has the physical or mental capacity to regain the closing job.

Last night on the news: "Josh Beckett gets first win for the Red Sox. Pedro Martinez and Curt Schilling won their first games when they joined the Red Sox too."

I drafted Papelbon late in my fantasy league. I don't think Foulke has the physical or mental capacity to regain the closing job.
Predictable...And the talking heads in other big team markets don't blow their swings out of proportion either.... you'd think Shawn Chacon is the second coming of Walter Johnson if you talk to some Yankees fans.

]
,Apr 6 2006, 10:21 AM]This is complete wishful thinking on my part, but could you imagine the Sox rotation if Clemens decides to come back to Boston (reasonable possibility)? 

Schilling

Clemens

Beckett

Clement

Papelbon

Wakefield >> the pen

:eek:   :excited:

Because of the korean joke?Please..... :rolleyes:
Yes, as a Red Sox fan, my reason for disliking Clemens is because of the Korean joke. :sarcasm:

Yes, as a Red Sox fan, my reason for disliking Clemens is because of the Korean joke.

:sarcasm:
You mad at him for leaving? For talking trash about the Duquette era front office? Who can blame him? Those guys were idiots. I hold zero Ill will against Clemens.... IF he decides to come back to Boston for his swan song (big if) then I'm pretty sure he'll be welcomed back with open arms by about 95% of Sox fans

,Apr 6 2006, 10:29 AM]

Yes, as a Red Sox fan, my reason for disliking Clemens is because of the Korean joke. 

:sarcasm:
You mad at him for leaving? For talking trash about the Duquette era front office? Who can blame him? Those guys were idiots. I hold zero Ill will against Clemens.... IF he decides to come back to Boston for his swan song (big if) then I'm pretty sure he'll be welcomed back with open arms by about 95% of Sox fans
Come on, icon. How long have you been following this team? You know why I don't like Clemens, and you know why most Sox fans who have been following this team for 15+ years don't like Clemens, and you know it has nothing to do with Korean jokes or badmouthing Duquette. Stop throwing these strawman arguments at me. I expect more out of you.

]

Last night on the news: "Josh Beckett gets first win for the Red Sox.  Pedro Martinez and Curt Schilling won their first games when they joined the Red Sox too."

I drafted Papelbon late in my fantasy league.  I don't think Foulke has the physical or mental capacity to regain the closing job.
Predictable...And the talking heads in other big team markets don't blow their swings out of proportion either.... you'd think Shawn Chacon is the second coming of Walter Johnson if you talk to some Yankees fans.
:link:

,Apr 6 2006, 10:27 AM]

YES Network Forums >I'm having trouble digging up links to conversations I've had with local yankee fans... I'll get back to ya when I find a way to do that. ;)

I think he'll be in the starting rotation as soon as Clement starts his slide. But I do like him as a closer, too.
I don't know. I think he has starter stuff, but I don't know if he'll be able to build his arm up for starter innings if he starts the season in the pen. I'd almost rather him come in for multiple inning relief situations if they plan on moving him into a starting role.

I'd like to see him develop a second (if not a third or even fourth) pitch before he's starting full time.

]
,Apr 6 2006, 10:27 AM]

Last night on the news: "Josh Beckett gets first win for the Red Sox.  Pedro Martinez and Curt Schilling won their first games when they joined the Red Sox too."

I drafted Papelbon late in my fantasy league.  I don't think Foulke has the physical or mental capacity to regain the closing job.
YES Network Forums >I'm having trouble digging up links to conversations I've had with local yankee fans... I'll get back to ya when I find a way to do that. ;)
specific link?

Wakefield to the pen does not make a lot of sense to me. Kind of a dangerous guy to bring in out of the pen.

I really believe the closer job is Papelbon's to lose or hold on to. If he continues to mow them down like he is in the 9th, they are not going to be messing with it. Makes no sense to play games with it, too important a job.

I also take Terry Francona's statements to the press with a grain of salt. He is a bit ridiculous lately.

All he was doing was propping Foulke up. He obviously doesn't want to lose the guy and he is a bit of a fragile psyche but bringing him into a 1 run game when you have a guy mowing them down is not logical. So its Papelbon's job to lose right now.

Paps is the second best pitcher on this staff behind Beckett IMO. Francy better find a role for him....fast. He should be starting over Clement IMO. I am guessing Clement is only in the rotation so the sox can showcase him and trade him. Maybe the Reds will take him...I hear he can hit better than Bronson. Also, Foulke sucked before he was hurt, and he is even worse now. I hate 2 pitch pitchers, especially when one pitch is an 89-92 MPH fastball and the other is a straight change. HTH :thumbup:

Paps is the second best pitcher on this staff behind Beckett IMO. Francy better find a role for him....fast. He should be starting over Clement IMO. I am guessing Clement is only in the rotation so the sox can showcase him and trade him. Maybe the Reds will take him...I hear he can hit better than Bronson. Also, Foulke sucked before he was hurt, and he is even worse now. I hate 2 pitch pitchers, especially when one pitch is an 89-92 MPH fastball and the other is a straight change. HTH :thumbup:
Clement has a contract that is difficult to trade and they aren't going to move Clement into the bullpen. So he's a starter regardless.

I also take Terry Francona's statements to the press with a grain of salt. He is a bit ridiculous lately.

All he was doing was propping Foulke up. He obviously doesn't want to lose the guy and he is a bit of a fragile psyche but bringing him into a 1 run game when you have a guy mowing them down is not logical. So its Papelbon's job to lose right now.
I agree about taking his comments with a grain of salt, and I agree he's leaning towards Papelbon right now, but you don't want to alienate Foulke, and you don't want to put a ton of pressure on Papelbon, either. By leaving it the way he did, he basically said, Foulke's our guy, we like him, he's going to bounce back, but he still needs some work right now to get 100%. Papelbon looked good, let's get this kid out there while he's pitching real well.

That's a pretty good way to leave it.

I don't think you're giving Schilling enough credit. He's still the ace of this staff.

Agreed 100% here

I don't think you're giving Schilling enough credit. He's still the ace of this staff.
No doubt he's looking to be on his way back.... big improvement over last year thus far. We'll see if he can get back to 90-95% on a consistent basis. :thumbup:

http://72.51.33.237/cgi-bin/nph-surf.cgi/0...vpyrvq=3d133846

ARLINGTON, Texas - No matter what they say, no matter how much the Red Sox try to soften the edges, the message at Ameriquest Field was as blunt as a 95-mph fastball. Keith Foulke is out. Jonathan Papelbon is in. Terry Francona is playing for keeps.

In just the Red Sox’ third game of the 2006 season, in their very first save opportunity, Francona bypassed the shaky Foulke and called on the blossoming Papelbon to close out a 2-1 victory over the Texas Rangers last night. Papelbon threw 11 pitches, eight of them strikes. Ten pitches were fastballs and eight of those were clocked at precisely 95 mph, bringing the kind of emphatic closure to a Red Sox victory that has been absent for a long, long time.

“He was electric,” Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek said of Papelbon, who recorded his first career save. “That ball had some serious giddyup on it. He gave us a 1-2-3 inning and we were able to shut the door.”

The rest of it? Politics, rhetoric and propriety. Francona did and said all the right things before and after the game, refusing to state that any permanent decisions have been made. He spoke with Foulke and informed him of the decision. He said Foulke is “going to pitch and he’s going to be brilliant,” but the manager never said when.

Foulke, to his credit, took the news like a professional, referring to Francona as “a quality manager” and “a good man.”

Actions speaker louder than words, of course, so for now here is what we know for sure: If Foulke is going to close again for the Red Sox, he is going to have to win his job back. Papelbon was a better pitcher last fall and he is a better pitcher now. And the manager of the Red Sox isn’t about to start blowing games in April so that he can rebuild the confidence of a man coming off the worst year of his career.

Good for Francona.

He has a team to run and games to win and a clubhouse to control.

“I don’t care what it looks like,” Francona said when it was suggested that Papelbon is officially his closer. “I just told you the truth and how I feel. We won and that’s what we set out to do. It’s a long year. I don’t think Foulke is the guy we need yet and I think he’s going to get there. That’s part of our responsibility. I can live with myself. Sometimes, you have to do what you think is right.”

Seriously, is there even any doubt here? The Red Sox made an array of changes over the winter, turning over their roster and changing their philosophy. Most of the adjustments were predicated on finding support for Foulke and Curt Schilling, each of whom paid dearly for the 2004 season. The Sox needed to get younger and healthier, and they needed to do it quickly.

So in came Josh Beckett and a cast of veteran set-up man, the latter of which has freed up Papelbon to close. And last night against the Rangers, the Sox began the game with one 25-year-old and ended it with another, each firing one fastball after the next at a Texas lineup that scored 469 runs in 81 home games last season and belted a preposterous 153 home runs.

Foulke? There is a chance he could sulk, that he and his base salary of $7.25 million will go to waste. The early indications suggest otherwise. Foulke said he is content to pitch in whatever role he is asked, in the ninth inning or the seventh, and the latter may soon become his home. But as long as the Red Sox have a $135 million payroll and the highest ticket prices in baseball, their obligation is to win as many games as possible, to make any decision that gives them their best chance to win a game.

For now, that means that young Jonathan Papelbon gets the ball in the ninth.

And no matter what anyone on the Red Sox says publicly, from the front office to the clubhouse, everybody knows it.
edit: my link is messed cause i'm at work and i go through stupid censorship, its from the boston herald.

Wow... Baltimore with 8 walks in 1.1IP... Cabrera gives up a bunt single to Crisp then walks 6 straight :eek:

Boston up 7-0 coming into the bottom of the 2nd

Clement looking pretty good.. LOTS of movement and he's able to throw strikes riht now

Papelbon warming up for the bottom of the 9th in another 2-1 game. Schilling one run through seven, Timlin in the eighth, now Papelbon to close. Looks like this is long term.

1-2-3 inning with a K by Papelbon for the save... Was touching 97 on the gun on a few pitches. Consistent at 95. As a Boston fan, I am much more comfortable with Papelbon in the 9th rather than Foulke. Papelbon can make people miss while Foulke really can't.

Popup, popup, strikeout through the middle of the Orioles lineup, for another 1-2-3 save. His fastball hit 97 mph, and he worked a slider in there for a strike.

Hey wasn't alot of the news papers saying that the Red Sox were not going to have a good year form the get go. I would love to see the expression on their faces now. I have a friend that is a "evil empire" fan and he has been avoiding me I wonder why? Anyways GO SOX's here to a great year.

:thumbup: Papelbon with another save, this time giving up his first hit of the year. Still no runs, however. Wake with a ugly 6IP 0ER performance... working out of a few jams.

5-1... best start since 1999! :banned: That said it's VERY early in the season and the O's aren't exactly contenders.

VERY eager to see how Beckett looks tuesday

] :thumbup: Papelbon with another save, this time giving up his first hit of the year. Still no runs, however. Wake with a ugly 6IP 0ER performance... working out of a few jams.

5-1... best start since 1999! :banned: That said it's VERY early in the season and the O's aren't exactly contenders.

VERY eager to see how Beckett looks tuesday
best thing was Foulke's scoreless 2 k 8th inning.

Red Sox have looked VERY good so far, but it's a LITTLE early to really tell, ESPECIALLY since they haven't played any really GOOD teams YET.

BUT it's a nice START and they SHOULD have a GOOD season. :thumbup:

Red Sox have looked VERY good so far, but it's a LITTLE early to really tell, ESPECIALLY since they haven't played any really GOOD teams YET.

VERY good post. Seeing Papelbon hit 95 on the gun REMINDED me of my Pony League days, ESPECIALLY the time I TORE up my ankle sliding into third base. :thumbup:

I 'd this shtick with the gipper80 alias. Back off. :thumbdown:

I 'd this shtick with the gipper80 alias. Back off. :thumbdown:
I DON'T know who GIPPER80 is, I'm just talking about a VERY good Red Sox START to the season HERE. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread