Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
AhrnCityPahnder

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title

I understand that the case in Anderson's favor is the spectacle, and I don't begrudge anyone for picking him. For me (and GSP, it seems), winning is all that matters in the end. GSP hasn't lost more than a handful of rounds in his entire career, and finishing skill aside, he's out of this world in terms of doing exactly what it takes to win.

The Serra loss is a blemish, but Anderson had a pair of embarrassing losses of his own, at similar points in his career. Anderson was submitted by Takase in his 13th career fight, with six years of experience. Then, he was submitted by Chonan in his 17th fight, with 7.5 years of experience. Meanwhile, GSP's only two losses were to Hughes (8th career fight, almost 3 years' experience) and Serra (15th career fight, 5.5 years' experience). It's a matter of timing. If the Serra loss had come sooner, instead of splitting his two win streaks, I feel that people would look at it much differently.

funny, but i completely agree here and thought GSP needs to be considered higher for the greatest because of his sheer dominance. and i'm watching the post scrum with Dana and he is talking about how Jon Jones is taking the Silva loss probably the hardest because he really wanted the Silva fight

Surely some of Silva's style comes from the Brazil way, right? Win with style?

Surely some of Silva's style comes from the Brazil way, right? Win with style?

Definitely.

I think he sees himself as an entertainer or an artist as much as a fighter.

Pretty sure Silva isn't retiring, but he wants bigger, higher paid fights and sees the title as a hindrance in getting those. As the MW champ, he has to defend ever so often vs lesser opponents. Now, he could move up to LHW or down to MW for Jones or GSP. Although, Dana seems to want a rematch. Silva probably comes in at 186+ for a title rematch with Weidman.

Edited by Voice Of Reason

Didn't know the hate for Silva was that strong.

Greatest fighter ever. You should feel privileged that you got to watch him destroy the UFC for 7+ years.

I don't think it's so much hate. It's just that if you're going to incorporate ali-level shtick into your fights, you better make sure it works. Getting KO'd 1.8 seconds after you were clowning is bound to bring out some schadenfreude in most of us.

And, agree on what a privilege it's been watching him for all these years. But, let's not talk about him in the past tense just yet....he's still got a lot of good fights in him, whether or not they're for titles.

i don't know it seems like a lot of hate, almost Bisping-esque. People love his style when he is knocking everybody out, and love to hate on Silva when he gets caught doing it. i think if/when Silva fights again will determine his legacy. If he bounces back likev the monster he was at 205 he'll be fine, but if not all talk will go to Jones as the GOAT

His legacy is set. I think a big reason he was such an idiot last night was because he just doesn't care about the chumps he is being forced to fight and now that he isn't the champ, he can hand pick his fights. Shogun, Henderson, Bisping, Mousasi, etc. Guys who will actually fight him and put on a show.

Chumps? Very few of the guys he has fought have been chumps. Anderson has done an excellent job of making them look like chumps. Last night, a strategy he has used as part of his style did not work. He executes 99.9% of the time with his Matrix-####, this was that .1%. He finally got caught and put in his place.

And when you refer to guys who will put on a show, does that mean fight idiotically, chasing Anderson for another unsuspecting KO (only to 99% likely be on the receiving end, as per usual with AS)? I'm curious as to how Weidman didn't "fight" Anderson. If anything, he engaged him more than he probably should have.

Greatest fighter ever. You should feel privileged that you got to watch him destroy the UFC for 7+ years.

I don't think it's so much hate. It's just that if you're going to incorporate ali-level shtick into your fights, you better make sure it works. Getting KO'd 1.8 seconds after you were clowning is bound to bring out some schadenfreude in most of us.

And, agree on what a privilege it's been watching him for all these years. But, let's not talk about him in the past tense just yet....he's still got a lot of good fights in him, whether or not they're for titles.

i don't know it seems like a lot of hate, almost Bisping-esque. People love his style when he is knocking everybody out, and love to hate on Silva when he gets caught doing it. i think if/when Silva fights again will determine his legacy. If he bounces back likev the monster he was at 205 he'll be fine, but if not all talk will go to Jones as the GOAT

His legacy is set. I think a big reason he was such an idiot last night was because he just doesn't care about the chumps he is being forced to fight and now that he isn't the champ, he can hand pick his fights. Shogun, Henderson, Bisping, Mousasi, etc. Guys who will actually fight him and put on a show.

Chumps? Very few of the guys he has fought have been chumps. Anderson has done an excellent job of making them look like chumps. Last night, a strategy he has used as part of his style did not work. He executes 99.9% of the time with his Matrix-####, this was that .1%. He finally got caught and put in his place.

And when you refer to guys who will put on a show, does that mean fight idiotically, chasing Anderson for another unsuspecting KO (only to 99% likely be on the receiving end, as per usual with AS)? I'm curious as to how Weidman didn't "fight" Anderson. If anything, he engaged him more than he probably should have.

Chumps relatively speaking, obviously they are talented fighters but they are guys that offer little challenge to Silva. At best they could dry hump him for 5 rounds and hope to win. Sonnen, Okami, Bonnar, Griffin, Leites, Cote, Maia, etc... not exactly fights to get a guy excited. Since he beat Henderson it has been a run of middling guys outside of Belfort. Belfort was a big fight and Silva wasn't dancing around. He went in to finish it as soon as he could cause he knew Belfort could challenge him on his feet.

I'm referring to guys that will stand and fight him. Yeah, the book to beat was laid out by Sonnen; put him on his back on lay on him. Silva is old. I'm guessing he has no interest in fighting young wrestlers who just want to hold him down as long as they can. Silva is a showman. He wants to go out there and put on a show.

Weidman did exactly what he should have last night. Stay calm, be patient and catch him.

Edited by Cliff Clavin

Pretty sure Silva isn't retiring, but he wants bigger, higher paid fights and sees the title as a hindrance in getting those. As the MW champ, he has to defend ever so often vs lesser opponents. Now, he could move up to LHW or down to MW for Jones or GSP. Although, Dana seems to want a rematch. Silva probably comes in at 186+ for a title rematch with Weidman.

No way he can cut to 170 and at 205 and age 39, he's going to get manhandled by Jones. When he did go up to 205, he fought a bunch of lower level lhws. the only mega fight option is GSP coming up to fight him at least at a catch weight and I don't really see the incentive for GSP even more so now that silva lost.

I understand that the case in Anderson's favor is the spectacle, and I don't begrudge anyone for picking him. For me (and GSP, it seems), winning is all that matters in the end. GSP hasn't lost more than a handful of rounds in his entire career, and finishing skill aside, he's out of this world in terms of doing exactly what it takes to win.

The Serra loss is a blemish, but Anderson had a pair of embarrassing losses of his own, at similar points in his career. Anderson was submitted by Takase in his 13th career fight, with six years of experience. Then, he was submitted by Chonan in his 17th fight, with 7.5 years of experience. Meanwhile, GSP's only two losses were to Hughes (8th career fight, almost 3 years' experience) and Serra (15th career fight, 5.5 years' experience). It's a matter of timing. If the Serra loss had come sooner, instead of splitting his two win streaks, I feel that people would look at it much differently.

funny, but i completely agree here and thought GSP needs to be considered higher for the greatest because of his sheer dominance. and i'm watching the post scrum with Dana and he is talking about how Jon Jones is taking the Silva loss probably the hardest because he really wanted the Silva fight

he's probably 3 or better in most people's books so its not like he's being overlooked. He's still pretty young. He's currently had 8 title defenses in a row and 10 wins in a row. As amazing as silva's run has been, gsp isn't too far from matching him. He has a lot more competition in his weight class than silva so who knows how long he'll hold the belt, but if he can surpass silva's 10 or 11 depending if you consider the lutter fight, then he'll be #1 in my book. i don't care if you knock a guy out in the 1st or dominate him for 5, both are impressive wins.

overshadowed but the silva KO, but this was awesome.

IPPON~

Hell yeah it was.

Related note: super slow motion replays in HD are the greatest.

Edited by Abrantes

If GSP could finish a fight for once, he might be in the discussion. But at the moment, all he does is jab his opponent 300 times and win by decision after the most boring rounds of fighting you can imagine.

He couldn't even finish off a one-eyed, stagged Koscheck (sp?). If put in that position, Silva would have KO'd that guy in under 5 seconds with no trouble at all. But all GSP could do was rack up jab points and run down the clock for the remaining rounds. He's extremely talented and extremely boring. He'd have 0% chance against a halfway motivated Silva though.

I read on Twitter that this guy that KOd Silva had a purse of $25k for the fight? WTF? How cheap is Dana White?

He chose not to renegotiate his contract before the fight:

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/3/29/4161022/chris-weidman-new-ufc-162-contract-anderson-silva-mma

"I think we're just going to keep the contract. I'm definitely okay with making what I was making. I think I was making $24,000 (to show) and $24,000 (as a win bonus). I want to do that because then after I beat Anderson like I plan on doing, then obviously the contract will jump up more than if I was to rip up the contract now. I'm ready to put all my eggs in one basket and put my money where my mouth is.

Worked out well for him. Huge risk, but a well timed one. I wonder what kind of jump he will get now? Does the way he won possibly hinder him a bit?

I read on Twitter that this guy that KOd Silva had a purse of $25k for the fight? WTF? How cheap is Dana White?

Why don't you head back to the boxing thread with the other 2 people on this forum that follow it.

You think that is a fair amount?

Also, I didn't insult you or MMA, what's with attitude?

He chose not to renegotiate his contract before the fight:

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/3/29/4161022/chris-weidman-new-ufc-162-contract-anderson-silva-mma

"I think we're just going to keep the contract. I'm definitely okay with making what I was making. I think I was making $24,000 (to show) and $24,000 (as a win bonus). I want to do that because then after I beat Anderson like I plan on doing, then obviously the contract will jump up more than if I was to rip up the contract now. I'm ready to put all my eggs in one basket and put my money where my mouth is.

Worked out well for him. Huge risk, but a well timed one. I wonder what kind of jump he will get now? Does the way he won possibly hinder him a bit?

I don't think so. He's in the drivers seat now with contract negotiations.

For reference, here's the paydays for the most recent Title holders in each division:

From Oct, 2011 -- on Versus TV (not PPV)

(Vacated?) BW champ Dominick Cruz: $40,000 ($20,000 to show, $20,000 win bonus)

UFC on Fox (not PPV)

FlW Demetrious Johnson: $90,000 ($20,000 to show, $20,000 win bonus, $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus)

UFC on Fuel TV (not ppv):

Interim BW Champ Renan Barao: $72,000 ($11,000 to show, $11,000 win bonus, $50,000 Submission of the Night bonus)

from UFC156:

FW Jose Aldo ($120,000, plus $120,000 win bonus)

from UFC157:

Womans BtW Ronda Rousey: $90,000 (includes $45,000 win bonus)

from 158:

WW Georges St-Pierre: $400,000 ($200,000 to show, $200,000 win bonus)

from 159:

LHW Jon Jones: $400,000

From 160:

HW Cain Velasquez: $400,000 (no bonus)

UFC on Fox (not PPV)

FW Benson Henderson: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus)

From Last night,

Anderson Silva : $600k / show (plus was eligible for $200k, obv didn't get it)

Edited by AhrnCityPahnder

Is there a specific reason UFC does not have a Super Heavyweight division right now or is it just simply there is not enough talent for the weight?

Is there a specific reason UFC does not have a Super Heavyweight division right now or is it just simply there is not enough talent for the weight?

There's not even enough talent for HW right now.

Chumps relatively speaking, obviously they are talented fighters but they are guys that offer little challenge to Silva. At best they could dry hump him for 5 rounds and hope to win. Sonnen, Okami, Bonnar, Griffin, Leites, Cote, Maia, etc... not exactly fights to get a guy excited. Since he beat Henderson it has been a run of middling guys outside of Belfort. Belfort was a big fight and Silva wasn't dancing around. He went in to finish it as soon as he could cause he knew Belfort could challenge him on his feet.

I'm referring to guys that will stand and fight him. Yeah, the book to beat was laid out by Sonnen; put him on his back on lay on him. Silva is old. I'm guessing he has no interest in fighting young wrestlers who just want to hold him down as long as they can. Silva is a showman. He wants to go out there and put on a show.

Weidman did exactly what he should have last night. Stay calm, be patient and catch him.

re: the bolded, I think you definitely hit on the reason why Silva started doing his showboat stuff as early and often as he did. He got taken down right off the bat and pounded on a lot harder than Sonnen ever did to him - I think Anderson realized that he was up against a guy who's bigger and quite a bit more athletic than Sonnen with the same level of wrestling, and he decided he better do his damndest to bait Weidman into a standup fight or he'd be on his back all night. Unfortunately for him, it didn't work out the way he was hoping.

Weidman is getting some flack from people saying "lucky win", but the kid is a monster - big with good reach, athletic, great wrestler, great subs, and continually improving striking. I actually think he could be champ for a while, although it looks like he'll have to beat Silva again to do it (this immediate rematch schtick from Dana is kind of annoying - are all challengers going to have to beat the champ twice to take the belt?).

There's not even enough talent for HW right now.

What's up with that division? Its been pretty bad for years. Remember when we had Jeff Monson fighting Sylvia for the belt. Oof. It looked like there was some promise when there was Carwin, Lesnar along with Velasquez and Junior and Overeem coming over, but two retired and Overeem has been a disappointment.

Silva vs Diaz :yes:

It would certainly be a draw. :shrug:

Big money fight for Diaz. Entertaining fight for Silva.

How much "clowning" would that one bring?

Perfect guy to do that against. Diaz would have a meltdown.

Perfect guy to do that against. Diaz would have a meltdown.

:lol:

Diaz would lose it and start cussing and screaming and Silva would pretend not to understand english.

I like how committed Weidman was to going after Silva's clowning. Seen it before and a lot of guys will throw a punch or two but not step forward. Weidman even did this but he clearly was timing it up.

I wish at some point they would add a Cruiserweight division, maybe 225-230. right now you've got 210 pound guys fighting 260 pound guys. but with a weak HW division, it probably won't happen...and JDS would probably be unbeatable at 230.

I thought Weidman showed pretty good restraint after the fight. I would have had a lot more to say to Silva about being disrespected like that.

I wish at some point they would add a Cruiserweight division, maybe 225-230. right now you've got 210 pound guys fighting 260 pound guys. but with a weak HW division, it probably won't happen...and JDS would probably be unbeatable at 230.

You don't really have a lot of top guys that weigh in at 260 right now. Bigfoot, Overeem and Mir if you want to count him. Most of the guys in the HW division are in the 230-245 range. Anyone who weighed in at 210 on fight night would be a moron for not dropping the 5 lbs to make LHW.

I like how committed Weidman was to going after Silva's clowning. Seen it before and a lot of guys will throw a punch or two but not step forward. Weidman even did this but he clearly was timing it up.

I think he mentioned in his post fight interview with Rogan that his camp included sparring where his opponent would act like a clown to help him adjust.

I thought Weidman showed pretty good restraint after the fight. I would have had a lot more to say to Silva about being disrespected like that.

Weidman snapped right after the fight and got in Silva's face when he was still down and called him a POS and then the ref had to pull him off. He seemed to calm down after Silva was pretty gracious in the loss.

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_17549.shtml#.Udsfzue9KSM

Weidman snapped right after the fight and got in Silva's face when he was still down and called him a POS and then the ref had to pull him off. He seemed to calm down after Silva was pretty gracious in the loss.

Nice. Taking the high road is one thing, but when your opponent acts like that, you're entitled to give him a piece of your mind.

Nice. Taking the high road is one thing, but when your opponent acts like that, you're entitled to give him a piece of your mind.

:lmao: @ the contortions you're going through to justify actions you previously said you didn't like.

I think he mentioned in his post fight interview with Rogan that his camp included sparring where his opponent would act like a clown to help him adjust.

It's actually pretty cool that they did that. I wonder if previous fighters had tried that. It just doesn't seem like something you need to prepare for.

:lmao: @ the contortions you're going through to justify actions you previously said you didn't like.

Please. Like acting like an ### throughout a fight and letting a guy here it for doing so are even remotely the same.

White talking rematch at UFC 168 which would bump Rousey-Tate out to next year.

White talking rematch at UFC 168 which would bump Rousey-Tate out to next year.

hmm, I would think they would bump down to the co-main event. I think the UFC 20 year anniversary is in November, and i know they have talked about making that a nice card for it. I also know their biggest card of the year is always Super Bowl Saturday, so it is surprising they would look to December. Of course with injuries and everything, who knows what will happen.

I just think it is a huge question mark about where Anderson Silva's head will be for this next match. I don't think it is a confidence thing or anything, but it is much more about does he have the desire to still fight and does he want to get in there. It's funny thinking about how much these guys compete, but i think the mental drain from leading up to a fight has to wear on fighters, especially those at the top with so much pressure to perform.

I think for Anderson it comes down to money. And I don't blame him he really has nothing left to prove. If he likes/needs the money he'll keep fighting. Now the question of how he'll fight is a good one to me. I'd love to see him come back for a few fights and just destroy guys as fast as possible.

I think for Anderson it comes down to money. And I don't blame him he really has nothing left to prove. If he likes/needs the money he'll keep fighting. Now the question of how he'll fight is a good one to me. I'd love to see him come back for a few fights and just destroy guys as fast as possible.

I don't think he needs any money at all. I know he started his Muay Thai school in California, and speaks of his desire to be an actor a lot. I guess i should have taken more heed to those kind of statements before this last fight, but it seems that he has a lot of outside stuff going on. His English has gotten better, and he might be ready to just move on. I guess it is hard keeping that competitive fire going as long as he has especially when he has dominated as much as he has. I remember his first jump to 205 everybody was saying there was no way he could handle the weight difference and he obliterated Irvin. After he did the same thing to Griffin it is hard to see how he can keep getting up for fights, except for a fight with GSP or Jones.

He also has some sponsorships that may push him toward more fights. I liked him at the presser. Much more calm than right after the fight. Take some time off. Hang with the fam. If he's got any fight left in him it will show up soon enough.

He also has some sponsorships that may push him toward more fights. I liked him at the presser. Much more calm than right after the fight. Take some time off. Hang with the fam. If he's got any fight left in him it will show up soon enough.

And all i know is a motivated Silva is a deadly Silva. My thought on the fight was Silva just took Weidman's stand-up way too lightly. As Sheer Terror mentioned, Silva seemed to do pretty well defending the takedowns after that first one Weidman got, and it seemed like Silva thought the same thing that 99% of everyone else thought, and that was Weidman was going to try and take Silva down every round and ride out a decision. The problem with Silva (well not really a problem) is that he is so hard to read (from a fan's perspective). You just can't tell when he is serious about a fight, or when he is really motivated and when he isn't. I think we can all agree that we would love to see a motivated, commited, Silva come back for a little bit more. I just have no idea who i will bet on in their rematch if the line is close to 2.5-1 for Silva again

Agree it'll come down to money. (Not that he needs it, but at this point only makes sense to fight the fights with the best financial reward). To me it's a waste of his time to fight the Bisping's of the world.

To me, we're looking at Weidman rematch, Bones, GSP. If a Weidman rematch occurs and Silva loses again, I think it's even less likely than it already is to see Bones/GSP vs. Silva. At that point, we probably do see something like Silva vs. Roy Jones Jr, which will get buys (regardless of quality)

Agree it'll come down to money. (Not that he needs it, but at this point only makes sense to fight the fights with the best financial reward). To me it's a waste of his time to fight the Bisping's of the world.

To me, we're looking at Weidman rematch, Bones, GSP. If a Weidman rematch occurs and Silva loses again, I think it's even less likely than it already is to see Bones/GSP vs. Silva. At that point, we probably do see something like Silva vs. Roy Jones Jr, which will get buys (regardless of quality)

If he happens to lose to Weidman again, i would love for Silva to say F it and just move to 205. I know he is long in the tooth, and doesn't have much time left, but put him in there and let him get fights at 205 to build to that Jones fight then. As long as he isn't against top wrestlers i think he would be fine, and should still have a considerable speed advantage. I think he would light most of them up, he can build through 2 fights and then have a match with Jones for the 205 belt.

But it all comes down to how much he wants to fight anymore. Silva made $600,000 for the night Saturday night (would have got another 200k if he won), and that doesn't include the sweet sponsorships he has. He has defended the belt 16 times i believe, so you have to think he has made a lot of money over these past 6-7 years. but who knows, maybe he does have a bunch of financial obligations and stuff

If he happens to lose to Weidman again, i would love for Silva to say F it and just move to 205. I know he is long in the tooth, and doesn't have much time left, but put him in there and let him get fights at 205 to build to that Jones fight then. As long as he isn't against top wrestlers i think he would be fine, and should still have a considerable speed advantage. I think he would light most of them up, he can build through 2 fights and then have a match with Jones for the 205 belt.

But it all comes down to how much he wants to fight anymore. Silva made $600,000 for the night Saturday night (would have got another 200k if he won), and that doesn't include the sweet sponsorships he has. He has defended the belt 16 times i believe, so you have to think he has made a lot of money over these past 6-7 years. but who knows, maybe he does have a bunch of financial obligations and stuff

JMO I wouldn't foresee the 2 build up fights. (In the chance that fights happens) Just so little incentive for Silva to get in there with the likes of Rashad Evans,etc...

Not unlike Chael moving up, I think we'd see Jones/Silva immediately (again, if at all)

I agree. The window for Silva is too small to wait a year or so to build up to Jones.

Regardless of whether its 185 or 205, I sure do hope he sticks around and puts his all into it. The 185 and 205 divisions are way too weak to lose a guy of Silva's caliber.

I'm surprised how cute some of the women MMAers are. I don't think it would draw a cute crowd but also just the beating the face could take.

What you guys think of Stann retiring?