What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (5 Viewers)

About 100 pages into Dance and:

Jon Snow hacking off weasly Janos Slynt's head was awesome. Don't mess with the ******* Lord Commander.

I think it is funny that the original link in this thread states that the 7 books would be finished for 2011.
It'll be at least another 8 years before he's done.
I bet. Do we know whether he started to write the winds of winter?
He has I believe. He released a chapter on some uber underground ASOFAI message board a few months back.
He has done readings of chapters. I think it has all been stuff that he intended to being in the last book, but got pushed into the upcoming one.

without reading this whole thread, has martin said how many more books he is writing?
There are supposedly two more books to come: The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. Honestly, I can't see how he can possibly wrap this up in just two books. The last two books haven't had much progress towrads resolving the main story lines. My bet is he slips a third book in there somewhere.
Has he always said it was 7 books with these specific titles since Thrones was first published? I assume he has it all outlined . . . . hopefully better than Lost writers' outlines.
Originally it was supposed to be six books, but then Book 4 became so big he had to split it into two (AFFC/ADWD). My guess is that he has so much story to tell that at least one of those next two books also gets too big and becomes two. He already had to move four chapters from Dance to Winds of Winter.
Originally, originally it was going to be three books (the Red Wedding was supposed to be in the first book), but once he got started he realized he had a lot more story to tell than would fit in three books.It'll be interesting to see if he can bring it home in two more. He says he knows exactly how it ends, though he supposedly doesn't work with an outline, so maybe it's arcing how he wants it to. Just seems like to me that there's been a bit of "what's around this corner?" with Martin and the story has expanded more than he ever thought it would. That doesn't really bother me as I'm more of a "the journey's the thing" kind of reader, but I can understand the frustration others have.

It's probably in here somewhere already, but I'm not reading all this ####. Watched season 1 on HBO. Curious about what happens next. Did S1 end about the same time as the book? I guess what I'm asking is:

Can I just pick up A Clash of Kings and start reading and be OK or should I just wait for S2? Or do I need to pick up the first book and start at the beginning?

This is probably a dumb place to ask this question. Something tells me I know the answer I'm going to get.

It's probably in here somewhere already, but I'm not reading all this ####. Watched season 1 on HBO. Curious about what happens next. Did S1 end about the same time as the book? I guess what I'm asking is:Can I just pick up A Clash of Kings and start reading and be OK or should I just wait for S2? Or do I need to pick up the first book and start at the beginning? This is probably a dumb place to ask this question. Something tells me I know the answer I'm going to get.
You can start with Book 2 if you'd like.Season 1 of GoT is almost identical to book 1.In fact, I can't think of a single semi-major thing that occurred in one and not the other

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably in here somewhere already, but I'm not reading all this ####. Watched season 1 on HBO. Curious about what happens next. Did S1 end about the same time as the book? I guess what I'm asking is:Can I just pick up A Clash of Kings and start reading and be OK or should I just wait for S2? Or do I need to pick up the first book and start at the beginning? This is probably a dumb place to ask this question. Something tells me I know the answer I'm going to get.
You can start with Book 2 if you'd like.Season 1 of GoT is almost identical to book 1.In fact, I can't think of a single semi-major thing that occurred in one and not the other
GB you.

Season One lined up with Book One, but if you try to start reading the series with A Clash Of Kings I think you're missing out. Not only from a reading-enjoyment POV, but the books are much more detailed than the series and I have a feeling you'll be lost at certain points.

Season One lined up with Book One, but if you try to start reading the series with A Clash Of Kings I think you're missing out. Not only from a reading-enjoyment POV, but the books are much more detailed than the series and I have a feeling you'll be lost at certain points.
This is the answer I knew I was going to get. You're no John Bender.

But there are a ton of less-than-major things and characters that were left out of the series, not to mention a biggie:
Most of the Lyanna backstory

But there are a ton of less-than-major things and characters that were left out of the series, not to mention a biggie:
If that had been a better spoiler, I'd no longer have to read book 1.

It's probably in here somewhere already, but I'm not reading all this ####. Watched season 1 on HBO. Curious about what happens next. Did S1 end about the same time as the book? I guess what I'm asking is:

Can I just pick up A Clash of Kings and start reading and be OK or should I just wait for S2? Or do I need to pick up the first book and start at the beginning?

This is probably a dumb place to ask this question. Something tells me I know the answer I'm going to get.
This is the answer I knew I was going to get. You're no John Bender.
I can only aspire to those heights.

I trust Uruk knows what he's talking about.

But I started with Book 2 and went back and read book 1 later. I really didn't feel like I was missing a thing. Just my personal preference.

As far as books-to-movies (or TV series) goes, I felt GoT translation to the screen was one of the best I can remember.

If that had been a better spoiler, I'd no longer have to read book 1.There's more than just that. I dunno - I just think there are a lot of things in the books that matter that didn't or won't make it into the TV show.

This is what I did (I actually started Game of Thrones, got about 6 chapters in and jumped to Clash). I plan to go back and read it again. Hit those chapter summaries I posted if you want some more detailed explanations. And there are some slight variations between the book and the first season.

But I started with Book 2 and went back and read book 1 later. I really didn't feel like I was missing a thing. Just my personal preference.

As far as books-to-movies (or TV series) goes, I felt GoT translation to the screen was one of the best I can remember.
Agreed. Logistically, they had to streamline certain things but overall it was pretty seamless.

Agreed. Logistically, they had to streamline certain things but overall it was pretty seamless.
I like the Book's version of the prologue better.
Having the one Night's Watch turned Wight strangle the other is a bit more WTF than having the guy live, flee and get beheaded.

'JerseyToughGuys said:
'Uruk-Hai said:
'John Bender said:

Having the one Night's Watch turned Wight strangle the other is a bit more WTF than having the guy live, flee and get beheaded.
There where at least 3 in the book, and one did escape (and get beheaded.)

Kingslayer story arc through ADwD

How do people feel about Jaime Lannister. I tend to think he's done a total 180 and will be a tragic hero moving forward.
how far are you into the story?
I've read them all at one point or another. Although there are some 5 year gaps in there where I certainly might read something completely differently now.
ah, okay. I am only about 400 into Crows but a recent chapter ended with Jamie going over The White Book with the history of the Kingsguard noting "most are forgotten, with only the heroic and the despicable remembered, as well as some who possessed both qualities like Ser Criston Cole the Kingmaker". I figure Jamie is heading for some level of redemption. Other than being arrogant and a sister ####er, not sure what else he can be blamed for.
Well, other than the whole "throwing the little kid off a tower" thing.C'mon! He did it for love.Love of what though? If he succeeds in killing Bran, the war never starts. Lots of innocent people get to live.

How do people feel about Jaime Lannister. I tend to think he's done a total 180 and will be a tragic hero moving forward.
I've read them all at one point or another. Although there are some 5 year gaps in there where I certainly might read something completely differently now.
ah, okay. I am only about 400 into Crows but a recent chapter ended with Jamie going over The White Book with the history of the Kingsguard noting "most are forgotten, with only the heroic and the despicable remembered, as well as some who possessed both qualities like Ser Criston Cole the Kingmaker". I figure Jamie is heading for some level of redemption. Other than being arrogant and a sister ####er, not sure what else he can be blamed for.
Well, other than the whole "throwing the little kid off a tower" thing.C'mon! He did it for love.Love of what though? If he succeeds in killing Bran, the war never starts. Lots of innocent people get to live.The war was inevitable.

Well, other than the whole "throwing the little kid off a tower" thing.
C'mon! He did it for love.Love of what though? If he succeeds in killing Bran, the war never starts. Lots of innocent people get to live.The war was inevitable.
Littlefinger was going to make sure it happened, but Jaime and Caitlyn both basically fired the first shots and got everyone on the battlefield.

About 200 into Crows. So far its a bit slow but i dont mind the new characters and i like getting to know sone of these other characters better.

'JerseyToughGuys said:
'Uruk-Hai said:
'John Bender said:

???

The one that was beheaded was not one of the three in the Prologue.

ETA: not the one they depicted. NM

'JerseyToughGuys said:
'Uruk-Hai said:
'John Bender said:

???The one that was beheaded was not one of the three in the Prologue.

Yes he was.

'JerseyToughGuys said:
'Uruk-Hai said:
'John Bender said:

Yes he was.See above. Meant it wasn't the one they depicted in the show. Will is the young timid one. He was chocked out by Wight Ser Royce in the book. The more seasoned guy was (the one the gets beheaded by the other) was the one they infer escaped.

chapter summary:

Gared attempts to convince his commander, Ser Waymar Royce, to turn back, as the wildlings are all dead according to Will. Ser Waymar mocks him for his unease, but Will notices that Gared is afraid despite having been in the Night's Watch for forty years. Will is uneasy also. He has spent four years in the Watch and been on at least a hundred rangings, but this is the first time the haunted forest has ever terrified him. They have been traveling north for nine days pursuing wildling raiders, and every day has been colder and worse than the day before. Ser Waymar refuses to turn back, however. The youngest son of an ancient house with too many heirs, he is young and has only been in the Watch for half a year. Gared insists that they have done all that Mormont ordered and that they could already have a two week ride ahead of them if it snows. Waymar asks Will to repeat what he saw again. Will had been a poacher before joining the Watch, until Mallister freeriders had caught him and given him the choice of losing a hand or going to the Wall. He is the best in the Watch at moving through the woods unseen. He reports that the wildling camp is two miles away and that he spied eight men and women there. None of them moved an inch the entire time he surveyed the camp, including a spotter up in the trees. Gared says they must have been killed by the cold and that he had seen a man freeze during the last winter and also during the one before that when he was a boy.1 Ser Waymar points out that it has not been cold enough for a man to freeze and orders Will to take him to the camp.

They ride into the night, before dismounting at Will's suggestion to go the rest of the way. Gared becomes uneasy once again, but Waymar only mocks him and tells him to watch the horses while he and Will continue on foot. Gared wants a fire, but Waymar refuses so as not to draw enemies. Gared claims it will keep away some enemies such as bears, direwolves, and "other things,"2 but Waymar is firm. As they reach the campsite, Will is shocked to see that the bodies are gone. Waymar refuses to go back to Castle Black from his first ranging a failure, and so he orders Will to climb a tree and look for any sign of the wildlings. As he climbs, Will hears Ser Waymar issue an uncertain challenge. The Others, however, make no sound as they glide through the forest towards Ser Waymar. Will sees them briefly, but assumes it was a mirage. Waymar calls out to Will and asks why it is so cold, and Will realizes that it is now freezing. An Other comes out of the shadows to challenge Waymar. As Will watches, five more emerge silently to surround Waymar, but the knight does not see them. The newcomers watch as Waymar and the first Other fight. After a series of blows, the Other wounds Waymar in the side. Finding a last ounce of strength, Waymar lunges forward, but when his sword meets the Other's blade, it shatters. Waymar falls to his knees, and the Others all move in and butcher him. Will stays in the tree a long while after the Others depart before gathering the courage to come down. He decides to take the broken sword as proof of what happened and hopes that if Gared does not know what to make of things, then Mormont or Maester Aemon will. As Will stands, he sees Ser Waymar standing over him, his one good eye now sporting a burning blue pupil.3 Waymar grabs Will's throat and chokes him to death. His grip is icy cold.

'JerseyToughGuys said:
'Uruk-Hai said:
'John Bender said:

Yes he was.See above. Meant it wasn't the one they depicted in the show. Will is the young timid one. He was chocked out by Wight Ser Royce in the book. The more seasoned guy was (the one the gets beheaded by the other) was the one they infer escaped.So you're saying that it's a different character of the 3 that survives the prologue? In the book there's the officer (A) and B and C, with C getting choked by the wight and B surviving to get beheaded by Ned. And you're saying that the TV show had B die and has C survive and get beheaded by Ned? I'm not sure there's any point to that observation though.

'JerseyToughGuys said:
'Uruk-Hai said:
'John Bender said:

Yes he was.See above. Meant it wasn't the one they depicted in the show. Will is the young timid one. He was chocked out by Wight Ser Royce in the book. The more seasoned guy was (the one the gets beheaded by the other) was the one they infer escaped.So you're saying that it's a different character of the 3 that survives the prologue? In the book there's the officer (A) and B and C, with C getting choked by the wight and B surviving to get beheaded by Ned. And you're saying that the TV show had B die and has C survive and get beheaded by Ned? I'm not sure there's any point to that observation though.

:shrug: the scene is different. And I like the book's version better. That was the sum total of my observation.

(oh...rereading your post I guess you didn't see the show version? They had the white walkers kill 2 out of the three with the 3rd running. There was no climbing up the tree. There was no WIght. They took some liberties, nothing too crazy. Again, I just liked the book version better. More "WTF" than the show)

ETA: also, in the show the Whitewalkers let WIll go. Or so it is implied. That just seems weird.

'JerseyToughGuys said:
'Uruk-Hai said:
'John Bender said:

Yes he was.
See above. Meant it wasn't the one they depicted in the show. Will is the young timid one. He was chocked out by Wight Ser Royce in the book. The more seasoned guy was (the one the gets beheaded by the other) was the one they infer escaped.So you're saying that it's a different character of the 3 that survives the prologue? In the book there's the officer (A) and B and C, with C getting choked by the wight and B surviving to get beheaded by Ned. And you're saying that the TV show had B die and has C survive and get beheaded by Ned? I'm not sure there's any point to that observation though.

:shrug: the scene is different. And I like the book's version better. That was the sum total of my observation.

(oh...rereading your post I guess you didn't see the show version? They had the white walkers kill 2 out of the three with the 3rd running. There was no climbing up the tree. There was no WIght. They took some liberties, nothing too crazy. Again, I just liked the book version better. More "WTF" than the show)

ETA: also, in the show the Whitewalkers let WIll go. Or so it is implied. That just seems weird.
I guess I just wasn't understanding your point. Of course the book versions are almost always better. I did see the show and they did have a wight (the little girl), but not of Waymar choking one of the Night Watch. They never went back to the storyline so there's no real explanation of why the Walker didn't give chase. I thought it maybe was that there was some kind of boundary that it couldn't yet pass. Or they wanted him to spread the fear before they come.

'JerseyToughGuys said:
'Uruk-Hai said:
'John Bender said:

Yes he was.
See above. Meant it wasn't the one they depicted in the show. Will is the young timid one. He was chocked out by Wight Ser Royce in the book. The more seasoned guy was (the one the gets beheaded by the other) was the one they infer escaped.
So you're saying that it's a different character of the 3 that survives the prologue? In the book there's the officer (A) and B and C, with C getting choked by the wight and B surviving to get beheaded by Ned. And you're saying that the TV show had B die and has C survive and get beheaded by Ned? I'm not sure there's any point to that observation though.

I guess I just wasn't understanding your point. Of course the book versions are almost always better. I did see the show and they did have a wight (the little girl), but not of Waymar choking one of the Night Watch. They never went back to the storyline so there's no real explanation of why the Walker didn't give chase. I thought it maybe was that there was some kind of boundary that it couldn't yet pass. Or they wanted him to spread the fear before they come.ya, I wasn't clear. I like the guy getting strangled by his brother-turned-wight a lot better. simple as that.

'JerseyToughGuys said:
'Uruk-Hai said:
Yes he was.
See above. Meant it wasn't the one they depicted in the show. Will is the young timid one. He was chocked out by Wight Ser Royce in the book. The more seasoned guy was (the one the gets beheaded by the other) was the one they infer escaped.
So you're saying that it's a different character of the 3 that survives the prologue? In the book there's the officer (A) and B and C, with C getting choked by the wight and B surviving to get beheaded by Ned. And you're saying that the TV show had B die and has C survive and get beheaded by Ned? I'm not sure there's any point to that observation though.
:shrug:the scene is different. And I like the book's version better. That was the sum total of my observation.
(oh...rereading your post I guess you didn't see the show version? They had the white walkers kill 2 out of the three with the 3rd running. There was no climbing up the tree. There was no WIght. They took some liberties, nothing too crazy. Again, I just liked the book version better. More "WTF" than the show)ETA: also, in the show the Whitewalkers let WIll go. Or so it is implied. That just seems weird.
I guess I just wasn't understanding your point. Of course the book versions are almost always better. I did see the show and they did have a wight (the little girl), but not of Waymar choking one of the Night Watch. They never went back to the storyline so there's no real explanation of why the Walker didn't give chase. I thought it maybe was that there was some kind of boundary that it couldn't yet pass. Or they wanted him to spread the fear before they come.ya, I wasn't clear. I like the guy getting strangled by his brother-turned-wight a lot better. simple as that.Gotcha, wasn't sure what you were saying. I thought it was a good scene though on the show, though I was disappointed with the way the Walker looked. I almost never expect the show scenes to be better than the books. Usually the best you can get out of it is a sense of scale that the imagination doesn't always fill in, of course the scale was pretty small on the screen because of the budget (as opposed to LotR movies for example). The set and costume design though on the show is much better than what I had in my mind.

Gotcha, wasn't sure what you were saying. I thought it was a good scene though on the show, though I was disappointed with the way the Walker looked. I almost never expect the show scenes to be better than the books. Usually the best you can get out of it is a sense of scale that the imagination doesn't always fill in, of course the scale was pretty small on the screen because of the budget (as opposed to LotR movies for example). The set and costume design though on the show is much better than what I had in my mind.
I think the producers/directors have done as fine a job as I've seen for a book/TV adaptation. I know some of the silliness has driven you crazy, sweeney, but I feel that most of us Luddites who are not in the biz are satisfied.

Gotcha, wasn't sure what you were saying. I thought it was a good scene though on the show, though I was disappointed with the way the Walker looked.

I almost never expect the show scenes to be better than the books. Usually the best you can get out of it is a sense of scale that the imagination doesn't always fill in, of course the scale was pretty small on the screen because of the budget (as opposed to LotR movies for example). The set and costume design though on the show is much better than what I had in my mind.
I think the producers/directors have done as fine a job as I've seen for a book/TV adaptation. I know some of the silliness has driven you crazy, sweeney, but I feel that most of us Luddites who are not in the biz are satisfied.
That's the huge disconnect between us and the masses. It's really hard to put that out of my mind when watching stuff, so i tend to be extra gooey about shows that either I get so absorbed in that I don't even think about how they did it, or is so freaking good that the awesomeness overpowers my industry goggles. That's why low points or weak episodes infuriate me so much. I know when I watched the 10 minute preview of it a few weeks before the debut I didn't think about how they shot it until the second viewing when the episode actually aired.

Gotcha, wasn't sure what you were saying. I thought it was a good scene though on the show, though I was disappointed with the way the Walker looked.

I almost never expect the show scenes to be better than the books. Usually the best you can get out of it is a sense of scale that the imagination doesn't always fill in, of course the scale was pretty small on the screen because of the budget (as opposed to LotR movies for example). The set and costume design though on the show is much better than what I had in my mind.
That's the huge disconnect between us and the masses. It's really hard to put that out of my mind when watching stuff, so i tend to be extra gooey about shows that either I get so absorbed in that I don't even think about how they did it, or is so freaking good that the awesomeness overpowers my industry goggles. That's why low points or weak episodes infuriate me so much. I know when I watched the 10 minute preview of it a few weeks before the debut I didn't think about how they shot it until the second viewing when the episode actually aired.
I can dig it. I just feel badly for your ilk - if the show was about deep foundations in construction, I'd be the same. Maybe being lazy as a viewer is a good thing sometimes.

without reading this whole thread, has martin said how many more books he is writing?
There are supposedly two more books to come: The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring. Honestly, I can't see how he can possibly wrap this up in just two books. The last two books haven't had much progress towrads resolving the main story lines. My bet is he slips a third book in there somewhere.
Has he always said it was 7 books with these specific titles since Thrones was first published? I assume he has it all outlined . . . . hopefully better than Lost writers' outlines.
Originally it was supposed to be six books, but then Book 4 became so big he had to split it into two (AFFC/ADWD). My guess is that he has so much story to tell that at least one of those next two books also gets too big and becomes two. He already had to move four chapters from Dance to Winds of Winter.
Originally, originally it was going to be three books (the Red Wedding was supposed to be in the first book), but once he got started he realized he had a lot more story to tell than would fit in three books.
:thumbup: UH can correct me if I'm mistaken, but at one point, Martin also planned on having a five-year gap between two books. When that was scrapped due to logistical considerations, it also meant that the story would have to grow.Unfortunately, it also means that he doesn't have it all outlined, and much like the Lost/BSG writers, he sees himself as more of a "gardener" than an "architect", in his words. That worries me.

On a different note, I also loved the GoT prologue in the book. It worked in the series too, but the design of the White Walkers was far different from what I imagined. Artist John Picacio got a lot closer in his 2011 Game of Thrones calendar.

250 Pages into Crows. This isn't really a spoiler but:

I can see why people were disappointed here and I am starting to get a little annoyed. I like the chapters of the characters we already knew: Jaime, Cersei, Arya, Sansa/Alayne, and to a lesser extent Brienne (so far, but I have a feeling hers will get better). I liked the opening two chapters with The Prophet and the Captain of Guards, but I see that he introduces those perspectives and then switches to other nameless "Crows" to continue the stories. I'm not sure if I find that concept kind of cool/interesting or just confusing/disappointing.

Is that Stannis doing the narration?
Didn't sound like Renly.
Had to be Stannis based on the content. Was that the letter he sent out? I do not recall that line from the book "the cold winds are rising" but I think I have forgotten a lot. Refresh my recollection.
Definitely Stannis.I have never read the books, but when the season ended Renly had escaped secretly in the night and Ned's letter had been sent out. So either Stannis got the letter or Renly informed Stannis (knowing that he would need protection from the Lannisters now that Ned and Robert were gone). I am curious to see how many contenders we have throw their hat in for the throne.

Users who are viewing this thread