What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Draft Grades (1 Viewer)

Eagles = F minus
Kevin Kolb. Seriously? Never heard of him, but I'm not that knowledgeable about guys like him. Can anyone who's a fan of Houston fill me in?! The trade down doesn't surprise me, since it seems all the guys we wanted were gone, but a QB in the 2nd?? Doesn't make much sense to me.ETA: I'll bet you a penny that Dave Spadaro LOVES this pick!! I'm sure he's the next Joe Montana, and he can't believe he didn't go in the too 10!! :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Giants get a D.
:shrug: Why?!? Ross is a solid CB, which they DESPERATELY need, and Steve Smith was great value where they got him.Alford has a good motor and can't be worse than William Joseph.Aside from a LB, I think they are filling their needs nicely.FWIW, LB's are easier to find in free agency than CB's.ETA: B
Ross is a 2nd round player and they passed on some better players such as Poz and Staley. Many CBs who are just as good as Ross were still available much later. Smith is decent, but they have many much more pressing needs that they didn't address such as OT and OLB. Alford was also a reach and saying he can't be worse than Joseph really doesn't say anything. Most can't be worse than Joseph. Giving them a B is way too high. :DETA - I also would have really prefered if they had made that trade with CLE instead of DAL. They missed out on a great opportunity.
I agree they reached with Ross, but Im significantly higher on Smith. And I also think that DT had to be a priority this year so I'd have preferred Branch in the first. Ross alone makes a B too generous, but the other picks are pretty solid. C+

While several teams have accounted well for themselves, no team has done more for this year's results than Cleveland. Thomas, Quinn and Davis are huge. You can't get much better than those 3.Add in Steinbach and Lewis and Cleveland is much better than last year already.
As long as all those guys dont get staph infections...

I personally wouldn't put Cleveland up so high just yet. They traded what should be a top 10 overall pick for a player that was passed up by most teams in this years draft. I think anyone could have a draft that looked like Cleveland if they traded next years 1st rounder which will likely turn into a very nice pick. If anything Dallas should get the A for getting the players that they did and a future stud next season.
That pick won't be anything close to a top ten after this free agency period and draft class.

I'll give my Steelers a B.
I like Timmons(one of the few 1st round "no-brainers" to predict) but a TE in the third? That was a little surprising to me. I thought they were planning on spreading the offense out?
I give the Steelers a D so far. Timmons will be a very good player in 2 yrs, but I do not like Woodley at all and well taking a backup TE while you have glaring other needs such as OL is just not very smart drafting.
Spaeth is supposed to be a great blocker and maybe they are planning on having some 2 TE sets where Miller goes out for passes and Spaeth stays in to protect?

Eagles: FThey needed help at S and CB...Instead they gave their arch rival a better pick and a player that will fit into their system.The instead picked a QB - a guy who probably won't see meaningful time for the next 5 years.
If their pick next year that goes to Dallas ends up being top 5 then they definately did not get an A+++, anyone can morgage 1st round draft picks and look good in the here and now. Cleveland bascially is going to trade their top 5 pick next year for #22 this year which in the grand scheme of things is not a wise move. Quinn dropped for a reason.

I give Cleveland a good grade for going out and getting the players they wanted with their two #1 picks but I am not convinced that Quinn will be a good NFL QB.

Ummm, I'd give my Lions a B, maaaaybe B+. I liked the first two picks, and the trade down in the 2nd with the Bills.. but since then..? Eh, not too crazy about it. I feel we gave up a bit much to move up with the other two 2nd rounders...

Giants get a D.
:lmao: Why?!? Ross is a solid CB, which they DESPERATELY need, and Steve Smith was great value where they got him.Alford has a good motor and can't be worse than William Joseph.Aside from a LB, I think they are filling their needs nicely.FWIW, LB's are easier to find in free agency than CB's.ETA: B
Ross is a 2nd round player and they passed on some better players such as Poz and Staley. Many CBs who are just as good as Ross were still available much later. Smith is decent, but they have many much more pressing needs that they didn't address such as OT and OLB. Alford was also a reach and saying he can't be worse than Joseph really doesn't say anything. Most can't be worse than Joseph. Giving them a B is way too high. :lmao:ETA - I also would have really prefered if they had made that trade with CLE instead of DAL. They missed out on a great opportunity.
I agree they reached with Ross, but Im significantly higher on Smith. And I also think that DT had to be a priority this year so I'd have preferred Branch in the first. Ross alone makes a B too generous, but the other picks are pretty solid. C+
Ok, I can compromise a little too. I agree DT was a major need, but I am very skeptical about Alford. I agree that Branch would have also been a solid pick. I would have preferred Staley, Pozluszny or Branch over Ross in the first and then Wilson or maybe even Ross in the 2nd. I admit that part of my original grade was because they didn't make that trade with CLE, so taking that out I can give them a C.

Eagles = F minus
Kevin Kolb. Seriously? Never heard of him, but I'm not that knowledgeable about guys like him. Can anyone who's a fan of Houston fill me in?! The trade down doesn't surprise me, since it seems all the guys we wanted were gone, but a QB in the 2nd?? Doesn't make much sense to me.ETA: I'll bet you a penny that Dave Spadaro LOVES this pick!! I'm sure he's the next Joe Montana, and he can't believe he didn't go in the too 10!! :bye:
A good solid QB, not sure that he should have been drafted over Edwards or Beck but a solid play with NFL starting potential. Miami still blew the draft

Cleveland Steamer :angry:
Well that's one way to grade trading all your picks for Brady Quinn and being repeatedly raped by Dallas.
If Quinn turns out to be a franchise QB, it would probably be worth it.
I love the fact they were able to land Thomas and Quinn, but I'm not sure CLE is going to be any better next year while they develop these young guys. That trade could have cost them a top 3 pick next year... That could be tough to swallow for the Browns unless Quinn clearly demonstrates that he is in fact a franchise player this season (something that is obviously very tough for a rookie QB)

Bills - B+

Grabbed Lynch and Posluszny filled great needs.

Questionable pick round 3 with Trent Edwards but was good value none the less.

Tomorrow we need some solid special teams players LB, CB, WR, FB

Hopefully Tim Shaw, Cuse' CB, Siler, who knows.

Can't go as high as some previous posters for the Lions. I'm going solid B. #### what the Lions have drafted in the past, Calvin Johnson was the right pick. Period. They needed to grab one of the 2nd-3rd round QBs, but I really wanted them to pass on Drew Stanton and draft defense, mainly David Harris. Especially after watching Branch and Posluszny go right before our eyes. I love Alama-Francis out of Hawaii. A bit of a reach, as they probably didn't need to trade up to get him, but he'll fit in great here. They also didn't need to trade up for Alexander at all! I think he'd still be there on day 2. But I'll leave that up to the scouts. I'm sure they see something I don't.

B, although could possibly improve tommorrow.

EDIT: Also agree with above, homerun for SF and Cleveland.

Packers get a D right now, but Thompson knows his stuff so I'm hoping he sees something I don't.I do like the run stuffing D lineman though.
I was very :confused: with TT's draft today. I really like him as a GM, and think in general he has a good eye for talent - but I think he overpaid some today. I'd grade it out currently at a C. 1.16 - J Harrell - rated as a 3rd round pick at best by almost every draftnik... even if he turns out to be an uberstud, he still could have gotten him a round later.2.31- Brandon Jackson - filled their most glaring hole - but still not sold on him. I don't think he overpaid here because RB values are all over the place. I hope they take a flyer on another RB with one of their 6 remaining picks on Day-2 (like: A Pittman, M Bush, Russell, D Wright)3.14 - James Jones - (I have him rated as a 4th or 7th rounder in 2 different mag's.) Don't know much on him except what i've read - not seen any reel's on him though. Nonetheless - he again fills a need at TWO spots - Punt returner & WR.3.26 - Aaron Rouse - Could be a steal. He actually graded out pretty well in several reviews. Pretty big kid @ 6'4"... possibly have him bulk up & play LB.My guess is TT will add another Def. lineman or 2, at least 1 Off. lineman, another WR, a TE & more 2ndary help.

Indy's 2008 #1
Surely you don't think this will be a better pick than the Niners' own #1 which they traded away...
Love the Niners but... :confused:
That's not the question. The question should by is the upgrade from Ugoh to Staley worth the gap in the 49ers #1 to the Colts #1. Imo, Staley is a big upgrade & the gap between picks could be much smaller than most expect. Very nice day 1 by the 49ers & with four 4th round picks-day 2 should be just as nice.

Now that DAL has finished drafting today(barring any trades) I guess we should start grading our teams drafts. I thought teams went for need quite a bit more than in the past.SD still has pick #96 but thus far I'd give them a C. Didn't think they were in as dire need of a WR as everyone else seems to think but they made up for it by making the trade to secure Weddle. Weddle and a ILB/NT would have been better imo. For the day I'd give them a B though because they didn't trade away Turner. The only players in this draft that might have helped them in their persuit of a SB more than Turner were Willis and Landry and I don't think they could have gotten either for Turner.
I think SD overpaid handsomely for Weddle. Time will tell but they gave up a bunch and the guys on NFL Network thought Weddle would have been there at their original pick. I'm satisfied with DAL picks today and of course having CLE's #1 next year. With 7 picks tomorrow I would like to see them hit on atleast 2 of those.
I would agree with you if it were not for one thing, ... AJ Smith. He has been too good in the draft to discount. I think it is way to early to cast judgement on their moving up for him.

I was very :o with TT's draft today. I really like him as a GM, and think in general he has a good eye for talent - but I think he overpaid some today. I'd grade it out currently at a C. 1.16 - J Harrell - rated as a 3rd round pick at best by almost every draftnik... even if he turns out to be an uberstud, he still could have gotten him a round later.
What makes you say this? Most mocks had him in the latter half of the first round. They may have reached a little, but most everybody had him in the first (Mayock, Gosselin, etc.).

Eagles: F

They needed help at S and CB...

Instead they gave their arch rival a better pick and a player that will fit into their system.

The instead picked a QB - a guy who probably won't see meaningful time for the next 5 years.
If their pick next year that goes to Dallas ends up being top 5 then they definately did not get an A+++, anyone can morgage 1st round draft picks and look good in the here and now. Cleveland bascially is going to trade their top 5 pick next year for #22 this year which in the grand scheme of things is not a wise move. Quinn dropped for a reason.
:thumbup: And the reason is?

I'm sure it had nothing to with the teams from 10-21 not needing a QB.

10 Houston

11 San Francisco

12 Buffalo

13 St. Louis

14 N.Y. Jets

15 Pittsburgh

16 Green Bay

17 Denver

18 Cincinnati

19 Tennessee

20 N.Y. Giants

21 Jacksonville

Instead they gave their arch rival a better pick and a player that will fit into their system.

The instead picked a QB - a guy who probably won't see meaningful time for the next 5 years.
:thumbup: And the reason is?

10 Houston

11 San Francisco

12 Buffalo

13 St. Louis

14 N.Y. Jets

15 Pittsburgh

16 Green Bay

17 Denver

18 Cincinnati

19 Tennessee

20 N.Y. Giants

21 Jacksonville
Goodell had Quinn go into his private room for a reason, once Miami passed, nobody was gonna pick him for a while. Jax was a long-shot to pick him though.

AZ

1.05 - Levi Brown - I have been anticipating this pick for months. By the time draft day rolled around I had my heart set on Joe Thomas, AD, or Laron Landry. Levi Brown @ #5 was my worst case scenario. Well I guess having someone from the Titans front office making this pick would have been the WORST case scenario, but still I felt deflated and disappointed. I know I know, it's a need, Grimm likes him, etc. etc. etc. But I have that same sunken feeling I did after passing on Terell Suggs for Bryant Johnson and Calvin Pace, and about as excited about Brown as I was for Wendall Bryant. I have been wrong before (was doing cartwheels for Leonard Davis, Thomas Jones and Andre Wadsworths), and must resign myself to be satisfied with the small reach for a massive need.

2.05 - Alan Branch - This one perked me up, This was a guy many had projected going #5 to the Cards in early mock drafts. I understand why he slid out of the top 10, but was amazed he made it to round #2 and even more amazed the Cards pulled the trigger on moving UP in the draft (first time in almost 15 years!!). Branch is perfect for what Whiz and Pendergrast are trying to do on defense. This is what i felt like after AZ missed on Suggs but made up for it with the Boldin pick in round #2. Honestly, I like Branch over Brown straight up.

3.05 - Buster Davis- I watched a couple of FSU games and remember watching a stubby little LB flying around the field making plays. His play was captivating and exciting...My eyes were drawn to him, but I didn't bother to remember his name because I guess I just assumed he was too short for the NFL. Needless to say Buster Davis wasn't on my draft radar (I wanted a CB, D Hughs specifically), but I have watched a few more highlights, read more reports and I am actually pretty excited about the pick. I don't see a plethora of pro bowls in his future (lots of sam mills comparisons), but I think he could have a nice career a'la Ronald McKinnon. A guy who makes solid contributions while providing leadership for team in need of direction. I actually think Buster Davis could become a fan favorite here in the Valley sooner vs. Later.

Day 1 Draft Grade = b-

Well written Federal and I completely agree. You don't hear the buzz around ARZ this year but I think there's more reason to be excited about their team than last year.

i'll give the raiders a b for day 1.

russell--no brainer

zach miller--need based pick. could have had blaylock or ugoh here

quentin moses--could be pretty good--or not

mario henderson--has potential, started for 2 years at florida

johnny lee higgins--love this pick, it just screams al davis!

add in mcown & mike williams.

day 2 could bring it up a bit.

The Bucs get a B

Gaines Adams- I dont personally like him but it was a need pick and the only thing for us to do since the players we wanted went early.

Sears- Great pick in the second! This guy gives us a gem as he can fill in in most OL positions.

Our next 2nd rounder was a safety that I was unfamiliar with but is also a huge need position as is the next guy we picked at LB. B Ruud is not the answer and now he has someone that will compete for his job.

Now if we can find a good value wr (Allison) and a kr/pr I will be happy

The Gator said:
Mossome said:
PHILLYHAWK said:

:( And the reason is?

10 Houston - 0 need

11 San Francisco - 0 need

12 Buffalo - took Trent Edwards in te 3rd so I have to think that if they had him rated as a top 5 player you have to consider it..

13 St. Louis - Bulger isn't exactly young.

14 N.Y. Jets - Pennington has been how healthy?

15 Pittsburgh - 0 need.

16 Green Bay - meh .

17 Denver - 0 need.

18 Cincinnati - 0 need.

19 Tennessee - 0 need.

20 N.Y. Giants - 0 need.

21 Jacksonville - I think Jacksonville would have taken him if they considered him a top 5 player.
:shrugs: I have a hard time saying any player who lasted into the 20's was viewed as a top 5 player by anyone. This is without even addressing the fact that Minnesota, Atlanta, Miami all passed on them and one could argue that each of those teams could have used another QB on the roster.

The Bucs get a B Gaines Adams- I dont personally like him but it was a need pick and the only thing for us to do since the players we wanted went early.Sears- Great pick in the second! This guy gives us a gem as he can fill in in most OL positions.Our next 2nd rounder was a safety that I was unfamiliar with but is also a huge need position as is the next guy we picked at LB. B Ruud is not the answer and now he has someone that will compete for his job.Now if we can find a good value wr (Allison) and a kr/pr I will be happy
:bag: Pretty much agree with this assessment, although I would rather see a DT in the 4th round. I think the WR's the Bucs currently have are good as long as there is a QB who can get them the ball. Don't need another average WR IMO.

Raiders a B-.

1.01 JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU - Right move at the right time. Potential franchise QB. Hopefully he won't hold out.

2.06 Zach Miller, TE, Arizona State - A good pick which gives our young signal caller a saftey blanket. Also the most NFL ready TE in this draft, IMO. I question passing on Blalock though.

3.01 Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia - Addresses a need but time will tell if we got the right player. Could potentially be a steal if he returns to form.

3.28 Mario Henderson, OT, Florida State - Finally some much needed O-line help, although it remains to be seen how soon he'll be able to actually help.

3.36 Johnnie Lee Higgins, WR, UTEP - Questioned the pick initially, but loving it after 'studying' up on him.

Hopefully we can come away with Marcus Thomas or Michael Bush at 4.01 and add some solid depth to our lines.

ESPN - Grade Your Team

I went through and found what all the team's had been graded by ESPN voters through the first 3 rounds. Here is the breakdown:

Graded A

Cowboys

Panthers

Vikings

Falcons

49er's

Bills

Cardinals

Browns

Raiders

Graded B

Bears

Patriots

Ravens

Colts

Rams

Jets

Bengals

Chiefs

Giants

Steelers

Jaguars

Broncos

Lions

Bucs

Texans

Saints?(poll window not working)

Graded C

Seahawks

Chargers

Titans

Graded D

None

Graded F

Eagles

Packers

Redskins

Dolphins

bigums said:
el centro said:
I was very :cry: with TT's draft today. I really like him as a GM, and think in general he has a good eye for talent - but I think he overpaid some today. I'd grade it out currently at a C. 1.16 - J Harrell - rated as a 3rd round pick at best by almost every draftnik... even if he turns out to be an uberstud, he still could have gotten him a round later.
What makes you say this? Most mocks had him in the latter half of the first round. They may have reached a little, but most everybody had him in the first (Mayock, Gosselin, etc.).
From reading draft mags dated pre-combine!!! :bs: :wall: I hate those things! Actually changing my opinion. I have just read some more recent material, and am liking the pick more-n-more.

LionsFan78 said:
Can't go as high as some previous posters for the Lions. I'm going solid B. #### what the Lions have drafted in the past, Calvin Johnson was the right pick. Period. They needed to grab one of the 2nd-3rd round QBs, but I really wanted them to pass on Drew Stanton and draft defense, mainly David Harris. Especially after watching Branch and Posluszny go right before our eyes. I love Alama-Francis out of Hawaii. A bit of a reach, as they probably didn't need to trade up to get him, but he'll fit in great here. They also didn't need to trade up for Alexander at all! I think he'd still be there on day 2. But I'll leave that up to the scouts. I'm sure they see something I don't.

:bs: I didn't like them trading up twice in the third round, especially for Alexander. I can't believe he wouldn't have been available to them where they were already picking. The Stanton pick surprised me too. After having watched him at MSU I'd never have placed him that high. I really liked them having the stones to take a WR after blowing it there so many times, though.

A win again ov said:
Bills - B+ Grabbed Lynch and Posluszny filled great needs.Questionable pick round 3 with Trent Edwards but was good value none the less. Tomorrow we need some solid special teams players LB, CB, WR, FB Hopefully Tim Shaw, Cuse' CB, Siler, who knows.
I agree with this. I'm not a Trent Edwards fan, but I admit his o line was horrible for two years, his WRs were made of glass, and the RBs were scrubs. It makes sense to take a QB in the 3rd, to make sure Losman doesn't become complacent.Lynch is probably a 50/50 or 60/40 shot at boom or bust. Poz is a pick I like. He is now two years removed from his injury and if he does not have great athleticism, he does everything else very well.

IF ANYONE WANTS A GOOD :( , go back and read the draft grades from 3-8 years back. Pick any year, because it really doesn't matter which one.

The truth is that while grading drafts may be fun, it's really a very wasted, futile effort. No draft can be fairly graded for at least three years, REGARDLESS of how good (or bad) it looked at the time.

FWIW: The selection of Kolb by my Birds confused and shocked me. That's an awfully high pick for a player nobody would reasonably expect to see the field for 3-4 years, OR MORE! BUT...the Eagles didn't have any real glaring needs going in, other then maybe secondary depth, and Kolb, at that moment, was the BPA on more then one draft board.

Tony Hunt may not ever become a feature back, but he looks like a very good compliment to WEstbrook, and I loved seeing the birds take him in the third. In five years, this COULD look like one of the steals of this years draft.

I'll refrain from trying to give any grades, because I don't beleive in them this early, but outside of Hunt, I'm not very excited about this draft right now.

Cleveland is a different story....just :yes: !!! They gave up a TON to make the picks they did. To be fair, if they don't find a present, there WILL BE NO FUTURE for all of the F.O. personnel there, so the moves make sense. Too bad Quinn will be a colossal bust.

mcd said:
Aaronur said:
abrecher said:
Riffraff said:
Indy's 2008 #1
Surely you don't think this will be a better pick than the Niners' own #1 which they traded away...
Love the Niners but... :goodposting:
That's not the question. The question should by is the upgrade from Ugoh to Staley worth the gap in the 49ers #1 to the Colts #1. Imo, Staley is a big upgrade & the gap between picks could be much smaller than most expect. Very nice day 1 by the 49ers & with four 4th round picks-day 2 should be just as nice.
I agree it was a good day for the Niners, but the way it was originally posted as if the Niner picked up Indy's 1st rounder next year, but they actually swapped. I just don't think that should be added as a part of this great draft.

BoltBacker said:
Pittsburgh United said:
I like Timmons(one of the few 1st round "no-brainers" to predict) but a TE in the third? That was a little surprising to me. I thought they were planning on spreading the offense out?
I graded them before that pick. I came back here now to expressly downgrade them to a C-. That TE pick has me scratching my head (but what do I know....?).

BoltBacker said:
Irish said:
BoltBacker said:
Pittsburgh United said:
I give the Steelers a D so far. Timmons will be a very good player in 2 yrs, but I do not like Woodley at all and well taking a backup TE while you have glaring other needs such as OL is just not very smart drafting.
Spaeth is supposed to be a great blocker and maybe they are planning on having some 2 TE sets where Miller goes out for passes and Spaeth stays in to protect?
Well now if this is the case, I like it. I never understood why Cowher took a great pass-catching TE and made him a blocker. If Tomlin is undoing that wrong, I'm all for it. :goodposting:

Cowboys an A...?

I'm a Poke fan, myself, but not even close. That trade with Philly was a disaster.

C- at best.

LionsFan78 said:

:goodposting: I didn't like them trading up twice in the third round, especially for Alexander. I can't believe he wouldn't have been available to them where they were already picking. The Stanton pick surprised me too. After having watched him at MSU I'd never have placed him that high. I really liked them having the stones to take a WR after blowing it there so many times, though.
I agree. You can't pass on Johnson for those reasons alone. Time will have to tell on Alexander. After checking out his write-ups, he seems pretty versatile...played both safety and corner in college, so that's always a plus. We'll see what he'll develop into. I just refuse to believe anyone would've grabbed him in the third. Wasted 3 + 4 round picks if you ask me. Believe it or not, I'm a die hard UM fan, and I actually believe Stanton is a worthwhile QB. I watched him plenty over the years.

Respectfully disagree. Detroit Fan, I've graded their drafts as sub C almost every year and I'm never wrong about it :rant: . This year, btw, is no different.

I understand why MSU fans like the Stanton pick. That's why Millen did it. Sell ticks, thats all. If they'd wanted a real francise QB, they'd've been on the phone with Dallas as well - they had a stockpile of picks to play with...

Willing to bet CJ is the only guy that improves his position from last year by years end. They might grow into it, but not in 2007. And CJ pushes Furrey a step farther back. Kitna doesn't have time to make mutilple reads like Warner could in STL. Even his addtition will only slightly increase offensive production. Thomas would have been a better pick. Not the best player at that point, but good enough and filled a serious need.

Graded F

Eagles

Packers

Redskins

Dolphins
I really think people are missing the boat on the MIA draft. They targeted WR across from Chambers and after CJ Ginn has just as good a chance as any of them to be the best of the rest. Improved OL in the third. Big run-stuffing DT from Utah. At the very worst this draft gets a C if you ask me.Also can't figure out why people are this down on the WAS draft considering the picks they had. Landry and Willis seem like the two players that will step in and make the biggest difference to their teams from day 1. When you come away with a player like that I don't know how you can give them an F.

Graded A

Cowboys

Panthers

Vikings

Falcons

49er's

Bills

Cardinals

Browns

Raiders
I'm surprised so many people voted an "A" for OAK. Russell was the right gamble but one OL in the draft? RB with the first pick of day 2? Two DE's and a CB for a defense that's already solid? I just really thought they'd take at least three OL and wouldn't worry about RB at all.I know, I know the mantra is "You don't pass on the best player available just because he's not a need RIGHT NOW.... but when you are the raiders you have to plug some holes in this draft. There are teams that can go into the draft with the luxury of taking talented backups but aren't the raiders the poster child for a team that needs guys to come in and at least battle for a starting job?

C

RAMS - B+

the acuisition of new starting DE james hall & returner/WR4 dante hasll for a pair of 5th rounders needs to be factored in...

1st - carriker had been moving up the board... mayock had him in top 10 (said he reminded him of howie long - high praise)... will probably play at 315 in 07, yet ran a smokin 4.7, had phenomenal cone drill COD times (i think better than #11 pick & MLB willis) & a monstrous 33 reps... linehan said he will be used at DT, possibly supplanting underwhelming jimmy kennedy at NT... STL was 31st or 32nd against run last season, & he could help stop the bleeding in a big way...

STL has been soft against run for too long... carriker not only has great character & intangibles, motor, football smarts & ability to diagnose, but he is tough & plays angry... that attitude, passion & intensity can be contagious... it could make rest of DL better, create pressure from inside (where QBs hate it), he is 6'6" & when he gets his hands up with constrict passing lanes for QB... he will help tie up blockers & free up spoon & 5-0 to fly to the ball from sideline-to-sideline... better pass rush & collapsing pocket will also be a boon to the secondary, which won't have to cover as long or well...

here is summary from frank coyle's scouting profile...

BTW, for Coyle's DE positional traits, Carriker was best in class in following categories - run stuffer, recognition, intangibles, instincts, strength & most developed... one of two coyle blue chippers (with gaines adams)... comp player ( hindu theory) - patrick kerney...

"Talented defender with huge upside. He is a fine prospect with the complete package to be a two-way defender early in his career. With further technique development, he has a chance to be as good as any prospect in this class. At the combine, he ran a 4.90 40, had a 33.5" VJ and 9'2" BJ. He had 33 reps in the lifting with exceptional agility drills. He is a powerful pass rusher with the tools to be a complete player and a defender with a nose for the ball to make big plays. He has the upfield speed to beat a blocker to the outside with the quickness to counter inside and the power to use a strong hump move and walk the blocker back in the pocket. He also has the power and leverage to push many tackles back to the passer and simply overpower them in any strength battle. Excellent combination of power and quickness and the ability to be an every down defender as early as a pro rookie. Big time well developed defender with the skills to rank with the top performers in the league. He is a fast rising prospect who should be off the board by the middle of the first round..."

2nd - brian leonard... may not have seemed like a pressing need with such a great young feature RB, but tony fisher was the RB2... great athleticism (called best prep player to ever come from NY state)... can catch a lot of passes & be a goal line, short yardage weapon (not particularly a strong suit with jax, despite his size)... similar skill set to jackson, so when they need to spell him, the offense won't need to skip a beat... a team player that switched from RB to FB, and went to program despite offers from more prestigous schools, for satisfaction of turning program around... loves the game, plays with great intensity, desire to be great... rams got a FOOTBALL PLAYER, with outstanding character & intangibles...

3rd - developmental CB similar to tye hill (former track star who is new to defensive side of ball & CB position, with upside)... led conference in passes defensed...

I'm surprised so many people voted an "A" for OAK. Russell was the right gamble but one OL in the draft? RB with the first pick of day 2? Two DE's and a CB for a defense that's already solid? I just really thought they'd take at least three OL and wouldn't worry about RB at all. I know, I know the mantra is "You don't pass on the best player available just because he's not a need RIGHT NOW.... but when you are the raiders you have to plug some holes in this draft. There are teams that can go into the draft with the luxury of taking talented backups but aren't the raiders the poster child for a team that needs guys to come in and at least battle for a starting job?C
Raiders added two or three O-line vets that'll make the team, plus Henderson, who I actually don't like. They addressed their line before the draft, by adding a great coach, changing the system, and adding Newberry, Carlisle, and another guy for depth, Cornell Brown. They will probably have 4 or 5 new O-linemen on the team this year. How much turnover do you think is possible? Should they have drafted Ugoh and started him as a rookie just to say they were addressing needs?Adding Zach Miller, after trading down and adding McCown and Williams, was a great move. Instant starter, big upgrade over Anderson at TE. This was need, and was the best player left at TE, by far. The guy ranked after him hasn't even been drafted yet.Quentin Moses at 3.1 is pretty much a no-brainer. I called this pick after they took Miller. Their starting RE last year had ZERO sacks. Moses in the 1st or 2nd is a reach. Third round? Could be a huge, huge steal. Was ranked #1 prospect in the draft by BLESTO after last season. Well worth the risk, IMO.Johnnie Lee Higgins, love it. Little speedster, must be James Jett, right? No. Works the underneath stuff, loves the slants, and bubble screens. At the end of the 3rd round? Love it. Will help on returns and in the slot right away.Adding McCown, the best part about this is that it tells you the Raiders are gonna do the right thing, and sit JaMarcus for a bit. I don't care if he sucks, he's a guy holding Russell's place in line.Mike Williams? A throw-in, reclamation project. I don't care either way. I'll keep my eye on him, but he hasn't shown anything yet. Maybe one of his old coaches can turn the light on.Mario Henderson? A reach, athletic guy that may fit the ZBS down the road. My least favorite pick. I wanted Barbre.Michael Bush? In the 4th round, this is questioned? Please. I'll tell you right now, Jordan has one year to prove he's gonna work out here, or he's gone. Bush was a straight value pick. We have two backs now, and we're pretty sure neither of them is special. Bush may turn out to be.John Bowie? Punt returner, runs like the wind, Al Davis gets his shiny object to play with. Maybe dime CB.Jay Richardson? I don't know what they're gonna do with him. I have a feeling they wanta put 10 pounds on him, and make him a one-gap DT. Eric Frampton? great tackler, ST guy, backup safety. 50/50 to make the team.Orenthal O'Neil? Hey, you can diss a RB named Orenthal if you want, but I'm not going to. Lead blocker in the Lorenzo Neal mold, replaces Crockett, clearing cap space.I don't like the Bowie pick and the Henderson pick.Let's see, I forgot someone......Oh yeah, JaMarcus. Yeah, I like this pick.We improved every facet of this team, except for linebacker. I'm not gonna grade this draft, draft grades are silly, but if a Raiders fan is unhappy with this draft, they need to stop following the draft, because it doesn't get much better than this.

Users who are viewing this thread