What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Draft Grades (2 Viewers)

I know exactly why the Eagles took a qb in the second round. McNabb has had season ending injuries in three of the last 5 seasons!!!If he goes down mid season, they need someone to step up and take the reigns now that Garcia is gone.

You make good points massraider and are correct for criticising me for failing to factor in McCown/Williams to the draft because they gave up picks for them. I really like McCown and think he'll play better than most others expect. Certainly a good idea to let Russell sit for awhile.

I'm not as excited about the three OL vets as you seem to be and really was shocked they didn't go Blalock in the second if for no other reason he's projected to be able to play any OL spot and they need help at all of them.

You make good points massraider and are correct for criticising me for failing to factor in McCown/Williams to the draft because they gave up picks for them. I really like McCown and think he'll play better than most others expect. Certainly a good idea to let Russell sit for awhile. I'm not as excited about the three OL vets as you seem to be and really was shocked they didn't go Blalock in the second if for no other reason he's projected to be able to play any OL spot and they need help at all of them.
You know, when thinking about the O-line, I'm not sure more youth is the answer. I was really down on the Ugoh idea, he seems like he'd rather be running track and field somewhere. And OT is the real need. They have a ton of interior linemen. I was under the impression that Blalock was just an interior guy. I could be wrong.And if there was a legit OT in free agency, I woulda been screaming for him. But when Leonard Davis is the plum OT, you know the Raiders picked the wrong offseason to go looking for linemen. Now Kalil? I could see someone questioning us passing on that guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
You make good points massraider and are correct for criticising me for failing to factor in McCown/Williams to the draft because they gave up picks for them. I really like McCown and think he'll play better than most others expect. Certainly a good idea to let Russell sit for awhile. I'm not as excited about the three OL vets as you seem to be and really was shocked they didn't go Blalock in the second if for no other reason he's projected to be able to play any OL spot and they need help at all of them.
You know, when thinking about the O-line, I'm not sure more youth is the answer. I was really down on the Ugoh idea, he seems like he'd rather be running track and field somewhere. And OT is the real need. They have a ton of interior linemen. I was under the impression that Blalock was just an interior guy. I could be wrong.And if there was a legit OT in free agency, I woulda been screaming for him. But when Leonard Davis is the plum OT, you know the Raiders picked the wrong offseason to go looking for linemen. Now Kalil? I could see someone questioning us passing on that guy.
I'm sorry to see Oakland pass on Kalil, and especially Blalock, but they did a great job with the first three picks. They got the best QB in the draft, albeit at #1. They got the best TE, in my opinion. Rock solid and a real need. I am only questioning Mario Henderson. I would rather they got Marcus Thomas instead, or grabbed him with the Randy Moss pick.Overall, I'm really happy so far, especially with Zach Miller. It is pretty good when I can only gripe about Henderson, and likely he is better than we realize.

I personally wouldn't put Cleveland up so high just yet. They traded what should be a top 10 overall pick for a player that was passed up by most teams in this years draft. I think anyone could have a draft that looked like Cleveland if they traded next years 1st rounder which will likely turn into a very nice pick. If anything Dallas should get the A for getting the players that they did and a future stud next season.
Very :lmao: Dallas has a good chance at getting a top 5 pick with the one from Cleveland in 08, the Browns over paid for a QB, that was dropping like a rock. Plus how much gas does J. Lewis have in the tank, AP would of been sweet for the Browns ;)

I'm surprised so many people voted an "A" for OAK. Russell was the right gamble but one OL in the draft? RB with the first pick of day 2? Two DE's and a CB for a defense that's already solid? I just really thought they'd take at least three OL and wouldn't worry about RB at all. I know, I know the mantra is "You don't pass on the best player available just because he's not a need RIGHT NOW.... but when you are the raiders you have to plug some holes in this draft. There are teams that can go into the draft with the luxury of taking talented backups but aren't the raiders the poster child for a team that needs guys to come in and at least battle for a starting job?C
Raiders added two or three O-line vets that'll make the team, plus Henderson, who I actually don't like. They addressed their line before the draft, by adding a great coach, changing the system, and adding Newberry, Carlisle, and another guy for depth, Cornell Brown. They will probably have 4 or 5 new O-linemen on the team this year. How much turnover do you think is possible? Should they have drafted Ugoh and started him as a rookie just to say they were addressing needs?Adding Zach Miller, after trading down and adding McCown and Williams, was a great move. Instant starter, big upgrade over Anderson at TE. This was need, and was the best player left at TE, by far. The guy ranked after him hasn't even been drafted yet.Quentin Moses at 3.1 is pretty much a no-brainer. I called this pick after they took Miller. Their starting RE last year had ZERO sacks. Moses in the 1st or 2nd is a reach. Third round? Could be a huge, huge steal. Was ranked #1 prospect in the draft by BLESTO after last season. Well worth the risk, IMO.Johnnie Lee Higgins, love it. Little speedster, must be James Jett, right? No. Works the underneath stuff, loves the slants, and bubble screens. At the end of the 3rd round? Love it. Will help on returns and in the slot right away.Adding McCown, the best part about this is that it tells you the Raiders are gonna do the right thing, and sit JaMarcus for a bit. I don't care if he sucks, he's a guy holding Russell's place in line.Mike Williams? A throw-in, reclamation project. I don't care either way. I'll keep my eye on him, but he hasn't shown anything yet. Maybe one of his old coaches can turn the light on.Mario Henderson? A reach, athletic guy that may fit the ZBS down the road. My least favorite pick. I wanted Barbre.Michael Bush? In the 4th round, this is questioned? Please. I'll tell you right now, Jordan has one year to prove he's gonna work out here, or he's gone. Bush was a straight value pick. We have two backs now, and we're pretty sure neither of them is special. Bush may turn out to be.John Bowie? Punt returner, runs like the wind, Al Davis gets his shiny object to play with. Maybe dime CB.Jay Richardson? I don't know what they're gonna do with him. I have a feeling they wanta put 10 pounds on him, and make him a one-gap DT. Eric Frampton? great tackler, ST guy, backup safety. 50/50 to make the team.Orenthal O'Neil? Hey, you can diss a RB named Orenthal if you want, but I'm not going to. Lead blocker in the Lorenzo Neal mold, replaces Crockett, clearing cap space.I don't like the Bowie pick and the Henderson pick.Let's see, I forgot someone......Oh yeah, JaMarcus. Yeah, I like this pick.We improved every facet of this team, except for linebacker. I'm not gonna grade this draft, draft grades are silly, but if a Raiders fan is unhappy with this draft, they need to stop following the draft, because it doesn't get much better than this.
AWSOME POST :lmao:

The Colts are my team, and they get a C+

Gonzalez was a no brainer, and they got several guys later that may fit their scheme. The lower round guys are also bright on the whole,

HOWEVER, the Ugoh pick was a terrible move . . . a risky guy that you trade UP to get AND forfeit next years #1???

Horrible move . . .

I'm sorry to see Oakland pass on Kalil, and especially Blalock, but they did a great job with the first three picks. They got the best QB in the draft, albeit at #1. They got the best TE, in my opinion. Rock solid and a real need. I am only questioning Mario Henderson. I would rather they got Marcus Thomas instead, or grabbed him with the Randy Moss pick.Overall, I'm really happy so far, especially with Zach Miller. It is pretty good when I can only gripe about Henderson, and likely he is better than we realize.
Savage was off his rocker for trading up to get Quinn, but that doesnt mean that next year's pick will be high . . .you have a rebuilt OL with Edwards, Winslow, Jurevicius, Quinn and Lewis . . . I'd say improvement is inevitable . . .

BUF just got the steal of the draft in C.J. Ah You (DE from Oklahoma). I don't know anything about him as far as his ability to play football, but that name is awesome and alone warrants the SOD label.

Mossome said:
PHILLYHAWK said:
Eagles: FThey needed help at S and CB...Instead they gave their arch rival a better pick and a player that will fit into their system.The instead picked a QB - a guy who probably won't see meaningful time for the next 5 years.
If their pick next year that goes to Dallas ends up being top 5 then they definately did not get an A+++, anyone can morgage 1st round draft picks and look good in the here and now. Cleveland bascially is going to trade their top 5 pick next year for #22 this year which in the grand scheme of things is not a wise move. Quinn dropped for a reason.
Yes. The reason for Quinn's free-fall was Miami being ignorant. All the other teams that picked had more pressing needs other than QB. It was purely situational. Miami screwd up and I think everyone agrees with that statement.

Atlanta Falcons A

#10. Jamaal Anderson-DE-Arkansas

#39. Justin Blalock-OG-Texas

#41. Chris Houston-CB-Arkansas

#75. Laurent Robinson-WR-Illinois State

#109. Stephen Nicholas-OLB-South Florida

#133. Martrez Milner-TE/H-back-Georgia

#185. Trey Lewis-DT-Washburn

#194. David Irons-CB-Auburn

#198. Doug Datish-C-Ohio State

#203. Daren Stone-S Maine

#244. Jason Snelling-FB Virginia

That's 3 of the top #41 and a total of 11 players.

Atlanta Falcons A

#10. Jamaal Anderson-DE-Arkansas

#39. Justin Blalock-OG-Texas

#41. Chris Houston-CB-Arkansas

#75. Laurent Robinson-WR-Illinois State

#109. Stephen Nicholas-OLB-South Florida

#133. Martrez Milner-TE/H-back-Georgia

#185. Trey Lewis-DT-Washburn

#194. David Irons-CB-Auburn

#198. Doug Datish-C-Ohio State

#203. Daren Stone-S Maine

#244. Jason Snelling-FB Virginia

That's 3 of the top #41 and a total of 11 players.
Man. That is a good draft.

Jets- B+Trading up for Revis was a great move, getting their highest ranked CB and also a serious need pick, while also perhaps getting a dangerous punt returner in the process. Jury is out on Harris, the Mich LB.... they gave up a lot of picks, putting other needs like a guard on the back burner for what looks to be a purely BPA, can't believe he dropped so far pick in Harris. Harris will allow the Jets to make ILB Barton a salary cap cut, which has been long rumored. The Revis move was brilliant... if Harris can help the run D, move the grade up to an A-.... but I'm not sold on Harris just yet.
Well, the Tangini's continue to surprise me with what they've done. I didn't like the Harris trade up because the Jets needed a mauling drive run blocker and lost (I thought) that opportunity when they gave up picks to move up for Harris....Then, they turn over some rocks and using the only two remaining picks of their grand total of 4 take Jacob Bender, an OT from a small school (Nicholls St) who just happened to pretty much own Carricker in the Nebraska game and Chansi Stuckey, a small but very fast WR who's stock dropped after a bad showing at the senior bowl in the 6th and 7th rounds respectively. Bender is a potential starter at RG is a very good power blocker and at 6'5" and 315 has room for another 15 pounds... a true road grader run blocking guard who's strength is straight line run blocking, and Stuckey is the deep threat at WR that the Jets needed so much (sub 4.4 forty speed). The Jets addressed all of the biggest need areas, and found a couple of diamonds late. The scouting reports on both Bender and Stuckey are amazingly positive for such late round picks. I have to upgrade the Jets to a solid A- now. Could be an A.... time will tell. :shrug:

Niners fan here and overall I give them a B.

They had an A from me after day one with some real solid moves. Pat Willis was a no-brainer at 11. The move for Staley I questioned at first, since they could've really some help at other positions other than LT. But after they recouped their 2008 1st rounder, it made much more sense considering the health of Jennings. Jason Hill and McDonald were both good picks with significant upside.

Day 2 puzzled me however. The niners aren't exactly loaded at Dline and they spent some questionable picks in round 4 on Moore and Cohen when seemingly better talent was available (Soliai and Marcus Thomas for example). I know Nolan's a character kinda guy, but the next 2 guys chosen both had "character issues", so I didn't understand why they didn't roll the dice with Thomas. The Tarell Brown pick in the fifth was fantastic and really salvaged day 2 for them. I'm a UT-alumni and Brown was awesome his junior year. He started ahead of Ross at the beginning of last season, but played his senior year with injuries and got suspended a game as well. Clayton's a good pick as well. He's got some ability and will provide more than just giving Gore a breather.

Right now I'll consider the DJax trade a push, with a slight advantage to the niners, if only for the fact that the seahawks are now minus one weapon. The whole thing won't really pan out until training camp begins and they've got him under contract.

Users who are viewing this thread