What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would happen if I fought a featherweight boxer? (1 Viewer)

If you go to the gym and the smallest guys you see are nearly 160 lbs, you're going to the wrong gym.Go to a Muay Thai or BJJ gym and find the Thai or Brazilian guys that have come over and barely speak English. They're likely to be at most 160 lbs, and some will be as small as 135 lbs. Sure, not the 105 lbs. featherweight you were originally talking about, but still quite a bit smaller than you. Finally, you realize that the 105 lbs. fighter steps into the ring on fight night at somewhere around 115 lbs, and maybe closer to 120 lbs. The guy that weighs in at 115 lbs, might fight at 130 lbs, and the guy that weighs in at 155 lbs, is normally about 170 lbs.Just some food for thought.
Now there is a level headed thought.I had not considered that they may fight significantly heavier than the weigh in. But I didn't make the claim with any of these caveats, my claim was against someone of that size in general. It was pushed to the boxing ring by others and I followed.This crossed my mind the other night where Pacquiao looked MASSIVE relative to two years ago when this thread began. Still small, but nowhere near the tiny range I placed him in before.
Back in the 70's I competed in Judo. At the time weight classes where in fluctuation but I competed at the 78 Kilo class which was sometimes an 81 kilo class. Basically i was to be competing at around 175 pounds to a bit more. I weighed 190 pounds. I would cut weight for matches losing some real weight but mostly water. After making weight I would rehydrate and would be pretty close to my average daily weight when I took the mat.This was more or les true of my H.S wrestling as well except there it was slightly less extreme because the weigh in period was closer, somewhat to taking the mat.
My freshman year in college, I'd weigh in on Monday at 135. By Friday after practice, I'd make weight at 121. As soon as I made weight, I'd belly up to the water fountain and then go eat a spaghetti dinner. After breakfast the next day, I'd weight about 128 or so for my match, and I'd be back up to a fat and happy 135 by Monday again. 14 lbs a week was routine for me...slightly more than 10% of my body weight.This is pretty common.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the earlier post where someone's friend, a 140 lb. amatuerish boxer, beat the living snot out of a 6'0" 240 lb. bouncer with many fights under his belt, I'd have to make a few observations...

I'm going to go ahead and assume that a 125-140 lb. elite Featherweight boxer (like Pacquioa) would anhialate the little amature dude that was in that fight.

I'm going to also go ahead and assume that the 240 lb. bouncer who throws bar patrons around for a living would have no trouble decking the 200 lb basketball dunker who won't post a picture of himself.

Based on these two assumptions, and knowing the result of the earlier mentioned tilt, I'm going to have to come to a conclusion that the Pacqioaish boxer would probably not only beat the crap out of the OP, but would also make him cry, make him scream 'uncle', and make him wear his picture in a locket around his neck for a few months afterward.
Much better post than an emoticon. :thumbup: But, I will have to disagree.
On what part? That Pacquioaeio could destroy the amateur dude or that the 240 lb bouncer could destroy you?
Much better fishing trips around here. This one is a little tired.And I'm 100% sure I would kick this "Pacquioaeio" dude's ###.

Based on the earlier post where someone's friend, a 140 lb. amatuerish boxer, beat the living snot out of a 6'0" 240 lb. bouncer with many fights under his belt, I'd have to make a few observations...

I'm going to go ahead and assume that a 125-140 lb. elite Featherweight boxer (like Pacquioa) would anhialate the little amature dude that was in that fight.

I'm going to also go ahead and assume that the 240 lb. bouncer who throws bar patrons around for a living would have no trouble decking the 200 lb basketball dunker who won't post a picture of himself.

Based on these two assumptions, and knowing the result of the earlier mentioned tilt, I'm going to have to come to a conclusion that the Pacqioaish boxer would probably not only beat the crap out of the OP, but would also make him cry, make him scream 'uncle', and make him wear his picture in a locket around his neck for a few months afterward.
Much better post than an emoticon. :thumbup: But, I will have to disagree.
On what part? That Pacquioaeio could destroy the amateur dude or that the 240 lb bouncer could destroy you?
Much better fishing trips around here. This one is a little tired.And I'm 100% sure I would kick this "Pacquioaeio" dude's ###.
It's your thread. You brought up the hypothetical. How is it a fishing trip?

If you go to the gym and the smallest guys you see are nearly 160 lbs, you're going to the wrong gym.Go to a Muay Thai or BJJ gym and find the Thai or Brazilian guys that have come over and barely speak English. They're likely to be at most 160 lbs, and some will be as small as 135 lbs. Sure, not the 105 lbs. featherweight you were originally talking about, but still quite a bit smaller than you. Finally, you realize that the 105 lbs. fighter steps into the ring on fight night at somewhere around 115 lbs, and maybe closer to 120 lbs. The guy that weighs in at 115 lbs, might fight at 130 lbs, and the guy that weighs in at 155 lbs, is normally about 170 lbs.Just some food for thought.
Now there is a level headed thought.I had not considered that they may fight significantly heavier than the weigh in. But I didn't make the claim with any of these caveats, my claim was against someone of that size in general. It was pushed to the boxing ring by others and I followed.This crossed my mind the other night where Pacquiao looked MASSIVE relative to two years ago when this thread began. Still small, but nowhere near the tiny range I placed him in before.
Back in the 70's I competed I Judo. At the time weight classes where in fluctuation but I competed at the 78 Kilo class which was sometimes an 81 kilo class. Basically i was to be competing at around 175 pounds to a bit more. I weighed 190 pounds. I would cut weight for matches losing some real weight but mostly water. After making weight I would rehydrate and would be pretty close to my average daily weight when I took the mat.
Yeah my dad did this when he boxed, but it never seemed that dramatic.
Judo in the 70's was interesting. Often the weigh in at a tournament would be up to a day before you took the mat. There were male and female divisions as well as age groups and divisions based on skill level. It took time to get everyone t the mat. I saw some fairly thickly muscled opponents. I, with my height, should have competed at least one weight class up. I did eventually move up because shorter, quicker, well muscled opponents have an advantage in judo as their center of gravity, their fulcrum points, are lower. For them to get under me they only had to move straight in. For me to get under them I had to move in and down. Some techniques worked better for taller people, but not most. I did have an advantage in gripping their Gi which was not insubstantial. Pressure from a good grip can exert pressure to thed head's blood supply or to the collarbone which can be quite discommoding.I also boxed intramurally in college. I was fortunate in that I was never matched against anybody who was really skilled as watching even modrately skilled boxers cut up guys who were just participating, like me, was frightening. BTW when boxing intramurally at the U.W. I learned that Wisconsin was highly successful back in the 30's to the 50's when boxing was an NCAA sport.

. The smaller dude is a winning MMA guy 5'2" 123lbs, he basically hits his opponent 10000 times in these 2 rounds and can't put a guy his own size that he completely outmatches skill-wise down.This is where I say I can probably weather a few hits/kicks until I get something i can use. He would have to get damn close to hit me at all. Just doesn't seem like a stretch to me. :shrug: This is all I'm saying.

For reference (SIZE reference for those that want to confuse it) - I am at least an inch taller and 15lbs heavier than Herb Dean. See him with fighters at start of video.

Part of their profession is not-only delivering blows, but taking them. You are greatly underestimating this fact. A guy who's never been hit doesn't react the same way as a guy who's been getting pounded on daily for 10-15 years.

Of course, now I have to come with a defense against the latest little man superpower - shin kicks. Yes, they would hurt. No, that would not be what took me down.Those rib kicks looked much worse.

And even so, looking at the beginning of the video, I didn't think to myself, "damn, Dean is huge compared to those guys. He would surely kick their ###".

You could be right, but try throwing a punch a full foot above your head and tell me how much power you lose. Then tell me how close you had to get to your target to throw that punch. Then tell me how you would do that when the target a foor above your head has no intention of letting you hit it.It doesn't hurt my feelings to see these posts assert the tiny guys have advantages. But these posts never seem to take into account or even mention the difference between what he does to a guy his own size and what he could do to someone twice his size. The tiny guy has disadvantages as well, amazed so few people are willing to at least admit this much.

This is brilliant. I can't believe Don King never signed Manute Bol. No one could ever beat him. Imagine the power Tyson would lose hitting a 7'6" dude.

One of the fascinating things about the biology/physics of fighting is the degree to which you can train, even remodel your body to take and deliver punishment. Muay Thai fighters will train by kicking banana trees, which over time builds up the bone in the front of their shins pretty dramatically. The result is their shin bones are markedly thicker - and thus able to deliver a much more powerful blow - than beginning fighters. Also, fighters who have learned how to take punches can absorb dramatically more forceful punches than amateur fighters. They're trained on how to move slightly and deflect blows such that they aren't directly absorbed. Most interestingly to me, by sparring and seeing where damaging punches and kicks come from, they begin to react subconsciously, meaning their counter strikes literally begin as soon as the attack against them is initiated.

The whole notion that this thread has become, or ever was, about small people being invincible is laughable. It's always been about training trumping size.

One of the fascinating things about the biology/physics of fighting is the degree to which you can train, even remodel your body to take and deliver punishment. Muay Thai fighters will train by kicking banana trees, which over time builds up the bone in the front of their shins pretty dramatically. The result is their shin bones are markedly thicker - and thus able to deliver a much more powerful blow - than beginning fighters. Also, fighters who have learned how to take punches can absorb dramatically more forceful punches than amateur fighters. They're trained on how to move slightly and deflect blows such that they aren't directly absorbed. Most interestingly to me, by sparring and seeing where damaging punches and kicks come from, they begin to react subconsciously, meaning their counter strikes literally begin as soon as the attack against them is initiated. The whole notion that this thread has become, or ever was, about small people being invincible is laughable. It's always been about training trumping size.
And my debate is with the degree to which training trumps size. There is a point where size (good size, not fat) trumps training.I drew the line at 5 foot nothing 115-125 lbs.. for myself.

One of the fascinating things about the biology/physics of fighting is the degree to which you can train, even remodel your body to take and deliver punishment. Muay Thai fighters will train by kicking banana trees, which over time builds up the bone in the front of their shins pretty dramatically. The result is their shin bones are markedly thicker - and thus able to deliver a much more powerful blow - than beginning fighters. Also, fighters who have learned how to take punches can absorb dramatically more forceful punches than amateur fighters. They're trained on how to move slightly and deflect blows such that they aren't directly absorbed. Most interestingly to me, by sparring and seeing where damaging punches and kicks come from, they begin to react subconsciously, meaning their counter strikes literally begin as soon as the attack against them is initiated.

The whole notion that this thread has become, or ever was, about small people being invincible is laughable. It's always been about training trumping size.
And my debate is with the degree to which training trumps size. There is a point where size (good size, not fat) trumps training.I drew the line at 5 foot nothing 115-125 lbs.. for myself.
It not only depends on teh size difference, but also teh training level.Your size advantage would probably allow you to take the 5'0" 125 lb dude who trains once a week at the local Y. You could also probably even take a 145 lb guy who just casually trains at the local Y. But for you to fight any 'seriously' trained martial artsist/boxer/wrestler would just be a slaughter.

Your thread title "What would happen if I fought a featherweight boxer" leaves a huge discrepency between potential opponents. Are you talking about the State of Iowa's 56th ranked amateur featherweight or the world's top ranked featherweight?

What you say is true. At some point, the skill/training level of the flyweight won't be high enough to overcome your 12 inch and 75 pound advantage. But as a basic rule of thumb, anyone who has ever appeared on Showtime, Spike, ESPN 1, 2, or 3, or any other network, would have a fairly easy time with you.

Manny Pacquiao would leave any of us eating through a straw for months

talking bare-knuckle street fight

guy might even kill you

Ok, obviously this is just shtick, as no one is really this clueless, but I'll play the game.That 7'2" guy is probably considered pretty coordinated and skilled for his size. If you assembled twenty seven-foot, 350 lb dudes, he certainly wouldn't consider himself to be slow.

Yet, when put in a ring with a 230 pound guy who actually knows how to fight, he looked painfully slow and uncoordinated.

You are 6'1" 200 lbs and totally untrained as a fighter. To a 5'2" 125 pound professional fighter, you are every buit as slow and awkward as that 350 pounder was to most of us.

Sorry if you're taking that as an insult to your mad athletic skillz, but it's true. Sorry again.

No insult, though you clearly want it to be. I'd prefer to keep the conversation to me and a 5ft nothing guy, i know the video is great and all.. but just not relevant, sorry.Find a video with a 5 ft nothing 125lb guy beating a fit 6'+ 220 pounder and it would be. My guess is you won't find one, and for good reason. ;)

No insult, though you clearly want it to be. I'd prefer to keep the conversation to me and a 5ft nothing guy, i know the video is great and all.. but just not relevant, sorry.Find a video with a 5 ft nothing 125lb guy beating a fit 6'+ 220 pounder and it would be. My guess is you won't find one, and for good reason. :porked:
You know what? You've changed my mind. You sound really tough. :lmao:

Still no 5 foot 125 pounders beating someone a foot taller and 100 pounds bigger yet eh?Keep looking.

PS - these video attempts were done 2 years ago... the three of you have been disappointing. Others have brought much better and more compelling stuff than linking videos of 2 guys (neither of whom fit the size parameters) over and over. I'll check back to see if you find a relevant one.. otherwise I'll let this round die until next year :shrug:

No insult, though you clearly want it to be. I'd prefer to keep the conversation to me and a 5ft nothing guy, i know the video is great and all.. but just not relevant, sorry.Find a video with a 5 ft nothing 125lb guy beating a fit 6'+ 220 pounder and it would be. My guess is you won't find one, and for good reason. :shrug:
Don't mess with the "Balance". :totalasskicker:

No insult, though you clearly want it to be. I'd prefer to keep the conversation to me and a 5ft nothing guy, i know the video is great and all.. but just not relevant, sorry.Find a video with a 5 ft nothing 125lb guy beating a fit 6'+ 220 pounder and it would be. My guess is you won't find one, and for good reason. :shrug:
Don't mess with the "Balance". :totalasskicker:
You both have missed this completely, you seem offended by my statements which were never once said in any macho manner. Never played the internet tough guy, never will.You took it there not me. :wolf:

Dude, sorry to tell you, but it's no great accomplishment to make a ridiculous claim and then argue with every point made. Bottom line is this, everyone here has said the same thing- a trained featherweight would kick the snot out of you. There hasn't been one person who's sided with you. Because you simply answer everyone by saying how fit you are (LOL, since you're afraid to even post a picture) doesn't make you any more right.And why would there be a video in existence of an arm chair athlete, 6'0" 200 lbs who 'used to be able to dunk' fighting a legit featherweight boxer? Who would ever organize such an ###-kicking?

Since you're the only one in the world capable of actually answering this question to your satisfaction, find out where the closest boxing club to you is located and ask for a few rounds with their best featherweight. Have someone videotape it, too. Of course, you would never actually do this, because you don't really want the answer. ;) :thumbup: see ya next year.

You never told me why you are so upset by the way.And I did go down the road to finding out. I never cared as much as you seem to care, but I joined for a free week at a BJJ place here and left completely disappointed. Then my baby grew into a toddler, then a new job, then a second kid. It has never been an ego thing for me (like it seems to be for you), if the opportunity arose and I could make it happen... I'd be game. Keep reaching, your "gotcha" posts are just flat missing the target.

Amazing what happens in 2 years around the age of 30 eh?

But I can still dunk (your last dozen references to it lead me to think you care).... at least get that part right.

You never told me why you are so upset by the way.

And I did go down the road to finding out. I never cared as much as you seem to care, but I joined for a free week at a BJJ place here and left completely disappointed. Then my baby grew into a toddler, then a new job, then a second kid. It has never been an ego thing for me (like it seems to be for you), if the opportunity arose and I could make it happen... I'd be game. Keep reaching, your "gotcha" posts are just flat missing the target.

Amazing what happens in 2 years around the age of 30 eh?

But I can still dunk (your last dozen references to it lead me to think you care).... at least get that part right.
:lol: "missing the target"? What would it take to 'hit the target'? 100 people all agree that you'd get twisted in a knot, beat up, and embarrassed by a trained fighter of any size. Yet they all seem to be 'missing the target'. What would it take to not miss the target? Agree that a 30 year-old, out of shape, basketball player who's too embarrassed to post a picture would win a fight against a trained boxer? I'm pretty-sure no one will ever hit the target you're hoping for.Although, now hearing that you can still dunk changes everything! :P

Also, your BS tale about trying to find out but leaving disapointing makes no sense.

And you're right. I'm very upset. Bwahahahaha

I think this has run its course for now. Balance has no credibility on pretty much anything going forward.
:goodposting: I think I'll start a thread stating that I could kill a bear with my bare hands. Of course, I'll never really try it, but I will argue with everyone who gives me reasons that I would probably be killed and eventually claim that I won the thread. Pretty cool, huh?

I was 5' 6" my senior year in high school and wrestled 126 lbs. I was a very good for a high school wrestler (state champ). When I went to college, guys often wanted to "test" you to see how tough you really were. I was very comfortable going with anyone up to 185 lbs or so. These were college guys in reasonably good shape. Not 30 year old married guys. I was not by any stretch of the imagination national or world calibre as a college wrestler. Marginal, at best in the D3/NAIA ranks with a losing record.

National/World class guys would eat you alive in any combat sport....without any difficulty.

Users who are viewing this thread